100 lb. Club - Mother's Day!! AHHHHHH!!!!

View Full Version : Mother's Day!! AHHHHHH!!!!

Sandi
05-04-2005, 12:06 PM
As Mother's Day quickly approaches, I realize that all my plans revolve around food. :(

A Mother's Day BRUNCH for my mom @ 10:00 and dinner with DH's mom later that night. I have planned to save ALL my flex points for that day. There is no way that I am leeting this holiday spoil my ON PLAN streak that I have going!! :D

I know on the brunch I should be able to choose fruit and maybe some chicken of some sort. Since I am SUCH a sweets person, I plan on trying to make my meal on the healthier side so I can have dessert.

Anyone else have scary plans.

BIGGIRL27
05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi Sandi

Sounds like an awesome plan! It's great that you're already thinking ahead... don't forget about that on the day! That's usually where I blunder. All of a sudden I realise I have a cookie in my mough lol

Hey when is Mother's Day by the way? I'm living in the UK and mom is still in the US and mother's day is defferent over here - don't want to miss her on the day!

howie6267
05-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a good plan Sandi. We are having our moms over here for a cookout. They are both on diets also so it will be a healthy menu all the way.

willowgirl
05-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Sounds like a good plan Sandi. We are having our moms over here for a cookout. They are both on diets also so it will be a healthy menu all the way.

Same here. My daughter and I are going to my mom's house and grilling but she is on a diet (South Beach, I think) so everything will be A-OK ;)

Sandi
05-04-2005, 01:39 PM
It's on Sunday here!!!

I think I could have skipped the brunch, but I know that's what my mom really enjoys and I figure this lifestyle change is all about living through "normal" situations on plan.

Jillegal
05-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Okay, Sandi - when you get to the brunch and dinner, make sure you remind everyone how well you're doing with your weightloss and how you've stayed on plan for over three weeks. That way you, and everyone else, will be very mindful of what you put on your plate! Its not really shaming you into behaving, but more like encouraging you to keep going! I'm sure the brunch will have lots of fruit and grilled meat options (hey, there'll be lots of wonderful veggies, too :p ) and then you can get your sweet treat and really enjoy it because you won't be bloated from overeating. :)

We're doing a pot-luck at my mum's for Mother's Day. I know temptations will abound, but I'm bringing a fruit tray (with my low-fat "Pina Colada" dip), a veggie tray (with SAPF's "Pink Dip") and my brother-in-law is cooking salmon steaks on the grill - so I'll be fine. I might have the teeniest slice of the cake my dd is bringing for all the mums, but as long as I stay away from the seven layer dip, cheese and spinach tarts, potato chips and chocolate peanut butter bars I'll be just fine! :D

SuchAPrettyFace
05-04-2005, 03:04 PM
My mother chose to go here: http://waterstreetbrewery.com/menu.htm# for brunch on Sunday. After that I am hers. I have already planned out my meal from there.

Seltzer w/lime to drink

ARTICHOKE HEART BENEDICT
Two poached eggs served on a toasted English muffin with sautéed artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers and covered with Hollandaise sauce. $8.95
(Served with seasoned baby red potatoes and fresh fruit)

^^^very light on the sauce, half the potatoes & twice the fruit. Or maybe I will give my mother the potatoes.

My stepmother got flowers for her birthday last week & still hasn't said thank you. She gets nothing. :mad:

barbygirl43
05-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I don't have anything planned for that day. Horrible I know. Jeff is working and I will go and visit mom and give her her gifts but I know I'm going to just lie in bed all day and do nothing. Our Expo is on Saturday and I'm going to be pooped from it. I already have my menu planned out for that day though.

glynne
05-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Jill ~ could you share the recipe for the low fat pina colada dip?

and SAPF ~ could you share the recipe for the pink dip? They sound good.

Thanks

SuchAPrettyFace
05-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Equal parts salsa & fat free sour cream, Gayle. :) It's in Gretchen's recipe thread.

I might change my mind for the meditteranean omelette. I find that the earlier you get your fruit & veg in, the easier it is to stay sated & plan the rest of your day.

Jillegal
05-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Looky in here, Gayle - lots and lots of wonderful recipes! By the way, I lied, my dip isn't low-fat....its fat-free! :D

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38674

missaprylj
05-04-2005, 11:54 PM
No plans here for Mother's Day.... can't IMAGINE why... :devil:

Raelynn
05-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Mother's day is also my birthday, so the only definite plan I know of, is going to my fiance's parents for dinner. My parents are both in the US right now. I requested beef dip, my future MIL makes the best beef dip, and I figure it's pretty healthy, all things considered.

Sundays I also have softball practice for 2 hrs in the afternoon, so that's the extent of what I'll be doing. :)

kclay61
05-05-2005, 09:38 AM
No major plans here - going to see my mom and then my g'mother - usually we don't eat - but DH said something about taking "us" out to eat, meaning my mom too - don't know for sure, but if DH says that, then we probably will.

Jen
05-05-2005, 10:01 AM
We've got no big plans either, actually we were planning on visiting my SIL and her new baby. Generally though stuff like this doesn't revolve around eating though. That's one of the things I hate about our culture, every holiday, every event has got to have some kind of food associated with it. You can't just go and have a visit with someone without having food shoved at you or you have to plan to have food otherwise you are being inhospitable.

BethC
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Actually, for the first time since my son was born 3 years ago, I will have mother all to myself. My parents are in Russia on vacation and my in-laws are in CA for a wedding!!

When DH asked me what I wanted to do, I said sleep! I'm not into going out to resturants, especially with my son and on a busy day.

Also, my birthday is the end of the month, so he usually combines the presents into one larger one. This year he suggested a gift card for new clothes!! Now, yes it's true, I would buy the clothes anyway, but it's a nice thought and a nice acknowlegement of my accomplishment.

25lbs down I'm out of the 20's that were way too tight in the beginning (I was fighting going out to buy 22s) and the 18s are getting large now too :) I've been heavy long enough that even when I have some smaller items in my closet, they're out of style...

Also, I'm so excited, I was invited to Gucci's party next week for the MOMA here in NYC. Not nearly as big as the recent Chanel party at the MET, but still very exciting. I'm looking forwared to the day when I can wear some of their clothes instead of their shoes and bags! :D

Have a great Mother's day everyone!

Jillegal
05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Found this over at another thread!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=837350#post837350

Certainly sounds like a good option and better than having an obligatory piece of Mum's Day cake!

Beth - hope your dh goes out of his way to ensure you have a nice sleep-in on M'sD, its the least he can do! ;) Your parents are in Russia...sigh, I bet they're having the greatest time (as long as they stay away from attack monkeys and birds of prey). BUT if they come back not having gained at least 12lbs. I'll be :tantrum: (been dying to use that new smilie)

Tis true, Jen, that these sort of occasions usually involve food, but realistically if people are going to spend any length of time together its going to infringe on a mealtime. I guess the best thing is to plan ahead and make the best of it. :)

How nice that Mother's Day is also your :woo: Raelynn, I bet your daughter will enjoy that as much as you!

Apryl...you CAN be a little :devil: sometimes, but I'm glad to see you're strong enough to make light of the situation. :grouphug:

anagram
05-05-2005, 05:28 PM
We'll be going out to eat w/daughter and her family. Don't know where (not around here; where she lives). But the best part is she's scheduled side-by-side pedicures for us that afternoon. I like that gift. And I bought us matching thong sandals so we don't mess up the whole works slipping into shoes.

Goddess Jessica
05-05-2005, 07:35 PM
BethC- I am sooooo jealous at that Gucci event! Wow! I'm also so proud of you! Look at you go girl, slipping out of those 18s! Way to be, chica!

willowgirl
05-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, kink in the plans. Step-Dad has decided to take us girls (My mom, me and my daughter) out to eat to Chili's. I know that I can eat somewhat good there if I get steamed veggies on the side instead of fries and a sensible main dish. My problem with be resisting the chips and salsa :nono: and other tasty appetizers.

Jen
05-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Tis true, Jen, that these sort of occasions usually involve food, but realistically if people are going to spend any length of time together its going to infringe on a mealtime. I guess the best thing is to plan ahead and make the best of it. :)

I think I have to disagree with some of this because people get together specifically to eat on some of these occassions. ie someone was taking mom out for mother's day brunch Okay so nothing wrong with that but sometimes it seems like our first thought is to take someone out for food to celebrate, not like we could take mom on a hike or to the botanical gardens or for a day spa or massage or hire someone clean her house. I know my own mom would usually prefer something like that over a gift of food

howie6267
05-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Lets face it though it's not just our culture. The world is pretty much based on people getting together to brake bread. It's been that way since the time began. It's a good practice too. What better way to get to know someone or to spend time with your family. Some of us myself included have turned it into something it should not be. I'm changing that and need to learn how to deal with the world on there terms. Face it we are not going to change everyone around us so we need to learn to plan and make the best of it. I know it's hard to go somewhere and try to stay on plan but it can be done.

SuchAPrettyFace
05-07-2005, 01:50 AM
I think I have to disagree with some of this because people get together specifically to eat on some of these occassions. ie someone was taking mom out for mother's day brunch Okay so nothing wrong with that but sometimes it seems like our first thought is to take someone out for food to celebrate, not like we could take mom on a hike or to the botanical gardens or for a day spa or massage or hire someone clean her house. I know my own mom would usually prefer something like that over a gift of foodFor mom it's not so much the "going out to eat" as it is "no dishes". We don't hike when the pollen count is this high, ditto for the botanical gardens, the one time I tried to take her to a spa, she backed out on me, massages are expensive, and she wouldn't trust another person in her house to clean it.

Brunch was Mom's idea, afterwards we are going to her gym to swim, after that perhaps the movies. That was the whole idea, that it's her day to choose what she wants to do. Who am I to tell her no, I can't be around food? Doesn't that make the day all about me, therefore defeating the whole purpose of the day? :no:

Also, that pie sounds good except for one major caveat: one of the main ingredients in Cool Whip is hydrogenated oil, aka Trans Fatty Acid, to which I am deathly allergic. :barf: :barf: :barf:

Jillegal
05-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Sigh...trans fat even in Cool Whip "light"? Bummer.

I'd love to see the look on my 80 year old mother's face if I showed up in my hiking boots and told her to get a move on and hit the trails with me! :lol: Mind you, she'd love the Botanical Gardens, but there's not much there in May (the Hamilton one, anyway). I see your point Jen, but then again, its like saying we shouldn't have special dinners for Christmas, Easter or Thanksgiving - its tradition and the majority of the population is comfortable with that. Yes, its difficult for those struggling with weight issues, but I know what my mum likes, and that's being surrounded by family, laughing, getting silly after one glass of wine, and enjoying a feast in her honour. :)

anagram
05-07-2005, 08:44 AM
That's the best part for me too - that I'll be with both my kids, their spouses, my grandkids. And my DDs a Mom too so I want her to have a dishes free day as well. It's not about food for me - dh is on a very restricted diet and will have to choose well - DGDs have food allergies, ditto - DD eats little (she's picky) - DS & DDIL eat very healthfully as a matter of course. I'm the only one for whom it's a matter of weight but we'll all be making choices. But it's the best way for us to get together and enjoy each other's company so I'm all for it. If I weren't joining my family (and lucky enough that it will be all of us), I'd be happy staying home and gardening and having my usual foods).

However you celebrate (or not), hope it's a good one.

BethC
05-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Jessica, I'm excited too. Apparently, there's going to be like 1,000 people there, maybe I'll see some famous people! Also, since none of my dress-up dresses fit (my husband said one looked like a sack on me), I went out and bought a new dress. It's sleeveless, which I'm not used to showing my arms (thanks to my mom), low cut and really shows my weight loss. I can't wait.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

Sandi
05-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Jill! That's the pie I made. It is just yummy and I think everyone was happy to have a lighter dessert!! :D

I took mom out to brunch, but her gift IS to have someone clean her house. SO I guess she gets the best of both worlds!!

SuchAPrettyFace
05-08-2005, 10:27 PM
We did good today. :) We swam for an hour between brunch & dinner & are about to snack on fruit & popcorn for the Elvis movie. She had a great day! :)