Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Question Stuck in a rut! Any ideas?

Okay guys...I've been unemployed for about 3 months now and it totally sucks. Right after I started my weight-loss plan, I got laid off. Well, my exercising went great for a while and I was exercising 6-7 days a week. Now, 60 lbs. later, I can't get myself motivated enough to do the exercising 6-7 days a week...usually it's 4-5 days.
I was using exercise dvd's but now, I'm not a beginner anymore and the dvd's I had are way too easy. Usually, during the week, I workout with a Gin Miller tape that I've had for quite some time...it's a half an hour of cardio and there's a strenght training thing after the cardio. I also have the Extreme Makeover Fitness dvd, and I do all three cardio segments (they're 10 minutes each). But, I need some diversity! I find myself becomming less and less motivated to exercise and that sucks. I'm in a big time RUT!!!
So, does anyone have any ideas for me? Ideas on how I can "spice" my exercising up a bit? I hate running, so that's out. I just need to find some new ways to liven up my routine during the week and make it a bit more fun. I use to enjoy it, but now it's just like, "Ugh, I don't want to work out!" LOL
I need some help!!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Running isn't all there is to do outside. If you have kids, get a trampoline or a jump rope and make exercise simply a part of playing with the kids. If not, you can walk around the neighborhood and see the sites or you can bike around the neighborhood and go a bit further.

I've been sticking mostly to videos for months now because we've been in the middle of several moves and then I found out I was pregnant and well, it's been quite a trying time since November. But we're finally getting settled into our house, and yesterday was just too beautiful. I did 15 minutes of WATP, as I looked out the windows, and then shut the tape off and took a 40 minute brisk walk instead. I got in 25 minutes of WATP this morning before church. And if the sun holds out, I may take the bike around this afternoon. Save those tapes for rainy days. Walk briskly and don't run. Running with this belly is no fun these days. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9

Come on guys, I really need some help!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #4  
Meg

Join a gym or the Y?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:38 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

Do you watch movies? Why not exercise to a movie? That way you don't get bored because you want to watch the movie anyway. But it doesn't take any conscious thinking about it to do some jumping jacks, marching in place, jump rope motions, body twists, lunges, etc. while watching a movie you've been wanting to see. You can spend half the movie on that and it's a good solid hour of exercise.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:33 AM   #6  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Hula hooping. I'm not much good so it makes me (and any onlookers) laugh quite a lot as well. Laughing is very good for the abs too!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:12 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

try taking an exercise class

or perhaps go swimming? I'm all for trampolining and skipping and basketball and messing around in general!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:46 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hmm... I'm assuming that since you're unemployed you don't want to spend the money to join a gym or to take a class (they can get pretty pricey). If the weather is nice, I'd say turn to outdoor activities. It doesn't have to be running -- you could go hiking if there's a good place nearby, or take up cycling or swimming. I don't know where you live, but if you live in a coastal area, any sort of walking is harder to do in sand and will give you a good workout. If you have a garden, doing some gardening is always good. Vigorous house cleaning is a workout too!

If you do have the money to join a gym or take classes, that would probably be good. If you join a gym, they will have aerobics classes available.

If you want to stick to videotapes, I'd suggest joining Netflicks or something, so you can rent a bunch of videos and try them out before deciding to buy one. I'm sure there are some pretty advanced aerobics videos out there.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy
Vigorous house cleaning is a workout too!
Especially if you like to do it with your favorite dancing music turned way up. Just dance the mop across the kitchen floor and the vacuum throughout the house. It makes housework fun AND gives you exercise.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #10  
prepare for the BEST time

If your local high school has a track and football field, you may be able to go to the municipal building and get a key for a nominal fee (mine was $5.00). You can walk on a rubberized track and count off the miles, run the stadium steps and get some fresh air..... do you have a bike?

I happen to really like the mini-trampoline, I can finally keep up with Cathe Friedriche or Sharon Mann....my HR gets to the zone quicker and my knees don't hurt. If you want to buy one of these, springs are better than the elastic, more give, less strain on the joints.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote