Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Default How many carbs?

About how many carbs do you think a person should limit themselves to in order to lose weight? I know it's different depending on the person, but does anybody know a ballpark figure or range for me to aim for and try out?

I've tried Atkins in the past and just couldn't stick to it. I don't like knowing that I can't have certain things, so I've decided to just do my own low-carb diet. I found out in February that I have Diabetes. I immediately cut out sodas and started drinking more water, and I lost 4 pounds just doing that.

This past week, I've dropped 5 pounds simply by being more active and cutting out some the sugar and flour, so apparently sugar is what was making me fat, because everytime I lower my sugar intake, I lose weight quickly. Now I just have to try to wean myself off of it completely and also start aiming for a certain number of carbs per day, just to keep me in line so I don't go overboard. I NEED some structure, but not too much!
TatianaHdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:04 AM   #2  
Baby Steps

Like you said, everyone is different. I'm not sure we really could tell you what carb count you should aim for. If you're doing your own thing...you seem to be doing it successfully so I'd keep up what you're doing. When the weight stops dropping....lower the carbs more and see if that helps. Good luck!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #3  
on my way down again

Hi, I lose great when I stick to 20 gms. of carbs. When I start doing my own thing, I don't lose. (And I do my own thing a lot. LOL) But for me, it's like that with any diet I've been on, not just Atkins. Also for me, it's the hunger I'm concerned about keeping in check, and LC is the one that's worked for me and for the past nearly 5 years. Good luck with anything you choose. You can do it! :clap:
Sonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Unlike a low calorie diet, where we could tell you almost exactly how many calories you have to cut out to lose weight, the carb thing is extremely individual and depends on your metabolism. Some people can eat 60 grams a day and still lose weight and other people have to restrict themselves to 20 grams or less. If you read the Atkins book, he gives you some guidelines as to how you might be able to tell which one of these types you are but everyone is different.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote