Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - foods that help you get by?

View Full Version : foods that help you get by?

deerod
04-28-2005, 06:23 PM
hi everyone.. just thought we should have a thread that lists the food that helps us get by.. that way if there if some one who is trying to diet and is giving up because they cant find anything good for them, maybe they can come here and hear about something new..

so far the foods that help me get by:

Nabisco 100 calorie packs (love the oreo crisps 2 grams of fat / and cheese nips 3 grams of fat)
diet peach snapple (0 calories 0 fat)
lean cusine frozen dinners..

hope it helps someone..

shhambo
04-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Yeah, good thread. peanut butter and dry roasted nuts. apples, oranges, carrots, green peppers, snap peas.

deleted
04-28-2005, 10:46 PM
The most important foods to me:

Hidden Valley Ranch Light Ranch Dressing - wonderful for dipping baby carrots and thick cucumber slices into when I'm starving in the afternoon.

The fruit-flavored carbonated waters at BJ's, sweetened with Splenda ... the best, most refreshing beverage I've had in awhile!

Lean Cuisine & Smart Ones frozen entrees, and a glass of wine to go with them............. makes me feel I'm having a gourmet meal.

Low-fat dairy products

deleted
04-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Forgot to mention above: French's GourMayo Light Mayonnaise (I LOVE the Wasabi flavor), and regular old French's Yellow Mustard! :)

chubbyvixen
04-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Lean cuisines, Amy's frozen foods, almonds, apples, pickles, rice cakes...oh and fat free italian dressing.

Love,
Deanne

deerod
04-29-2005, 10:47 AM
snackwells mint chocolate cookies.. 0 fat - 50 calories
pickles & chinese candy (dried salted plums)... 0 fat - 100 calories

deerod
04-29-2005, 10:47 AM
roasted corn on the cob..
parkay spray butter (0 fat - 0 calories)

Healthy4Life
04-29-2005, 11:51 AM
I like green beans with steak sauce. The green beans help fill me up while the steak sauce gives them great flavor.

flxthct107
04-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Canned pineapple in it's own juice to keep in my drawer at work for those days when I HAVE to have something sweet.

I always have these things around the house:
Lean Cuisines, eggs, FF Yogurt, Tuna w/FF mayo and relish

willowgirl
04-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Pop Secret's 100 cal popcorn packs. Great for muchies!
deerod I am SO with you on those Nabisco 100 calorie packs. Best things ever :)

Laughing cow cheese, low in cals/fat and makes everything taste better.

hoofbeats
04-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Sesame bars. 60 cals and very filling.
Apples, carrots.

katia
04-29-2005, 07:46 PM
Stonyfield Farm Chocolate Underground Yogurt - It's got 170 calories, but it tastes like dessert. I like to eat it with a big bowl of strawberries.
Eggbeaters - great for omelets
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Red bell peppers
Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch dip mixed with fat free sour cream, great for dipping vegetables into or using as a garnish
Muir Glen Fire-Roasted Canned tomatoes - they have such a good, smoky flavor and are a great option when the fresh tomatoes aren't so great, I use canned tomatoes with a bit of fresh minced garlic, crushed red pepper, and ev olive oil to make a quick healthy tomato sauce
Trader Joe's Artichoke tortellini and risotto - both are ready in minutes and make a great meal when combined with a big salad
Prewashed, bagged baby spinach
Newman's Own light balsamic vinaigrette
Frontera spice rubs - perfect flavoring for grilled meat and fish without adding a lot of calories

lizzbabe
04-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Healthy4Life-
I thought I was the only one who ate green beans with steak sauce! Or ketchup too. My family used to think it was so gross.

Fitchick
04-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Jello pudding pops! They're back and only 90 calories!

kykaree
04-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Blueberries I love em! In fact any berries - good candy/sweet substitute
Mini rice cakes when I am craving a packet of crisps
I second the Laughing Cow cheese, and primula cheese spread (low fat variety of course)
Spicy matzos spread with the above
Low fat philly
A purely English thing - Rosemary Conleys Belgian chocolate mousse, 130 calories per pot, when only a sticky chocolate dessert will do
Activia rhubarb yoghurt

deerod
05-01-2005, 12:14 AM
MMMmmmm ya'll are making me hungry.. thanks for all the tips..

FallenFaerie27
05-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Here are a few of my favs:

Fruit&Grain Cereal Bars (Strawberry, Blueberry, Mixed Berry): 140 cal/3g fat

Yoplait Nonfat Yogurt (Strawberry, White Chocolate Strawberry, etc): 100 cal/0g fat

Dole Fruit Cups (Peaches in Strawberry Gel): 90 cal/?g fat

suechef
05-02-2005, 12:20 PM
- Lf cottage cheese with almond extract & splenda - luscious.
- rice cakes with cottage cheese & antipasto.
- thawed berries, any kind, with splenda & a little yogurt
- oatmeal - helps with blood sugar levels (splenda & cinnamon)
- a weighed ounce of Callebaut chocolate chips, eaten one by one
- cocoa made with 2 T quality cocoa powder, splenda, cinnamon, 5-spice powder (optional), chili powder (optional).
- 1 oz good cheddar & four melba toast slices

deerod
05-02-2005, 12:47 PM
I love melba toast with ranch dressing.. too bad I havent found a low fat or fat free ranch dressing that I like..

oh.. and the KFC tender roast sandwich (w/o mayo) is awesome.. only 5 grams of fat and very filling..

FallenFaerie27
05-02-2005, 05:45 PM
deerod: where do you find the nurtitional info for KFC? I have been trying to figure out the Roasted Chicken Twister Wrap.

SuchAPrettyFace
05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Breakstone's FF cottage cheese--it is less watery than the other brands, I mix it w/chives, as much as I want

Natural Ovens breads

Laughing Cow Lite

fresh fruits

Horseradish

Hellman's Lite

Lean Cusine Mac & cheese

Starkist chunk light tuna

frozen shrimps

skirt steaks

skim milk

green tea, w/mint or lemon ginseng

FallenFaerie27
05-02-2005, 06:13 PM
I have one cup (6 oz) Strawberry yogurt left along with some frozen mixed berries. If I was to blend them together, would I need to add any milk or Splenda?

SuchAPrettyFace
05-02-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't think so. The yogurt should have enough sugar/sweetener in it already, plus the natural sugar of the berries. But I am a salt-craver, not a sweet-craver, so that's up to you I guess.

What I WOULD add is a bit of skim milk, you need a little liquid for the blending.

deleted
05-02-2005, 07:02 PM
FallenFaerie, go to calorieking.com, and look under their restaurant and food data. They have an amazing amount of restaurant food information there.

Deerod, I LOVE Hidden Valley Ranch Light Ranch dressing. I think it's wonderful, and I'm usually very picky about light salad dressings!

Giasbash6260
05-02-2005, 08:53 PM
The FOODS that I cant Live without:
Buffalo
Cabbage(Red and Green)
Eggplant
Salmon
Mustard
Turkey
Ostrich
Eel
Bell Peppers
Saurkraut
Cauilflower
Garlic
Sashimi(ANY TYPE)
Chilean Seabass :(
Eggs/Egg Whites
Sugar Free/Calorie Free Pancake syrup
Orbit Gum
Lobster
Shrimp&Scallops
Uh..ya I think you get the picture! haha!!

Giasbash6260
05-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I forgot to mention LEEKS and ASPARAGUS!!

teckeygirl
05-03-2005, 11:49 AM
-reduced fat Wheatables (140cal for 19 of them) - I pair these with salsa
-oh speaking of salsa... I found this in the gourmet cheese section - Garden Fresh Gourmet Wild Mild Salsa. It's finely diced, has a great unique flavor and at 10cal/2TB how can you go wrong. :)
-fatfree/light popcorn
-Zucchini and summer squash - I bake these in the oven to eat with my frozen dinners.. filling and good for me.
-lettuce, spinach.. well, salad in general
-string cheese!! I love cheese :)
-ff or lowfat cottage cheese and sour cream
-Pam Olive oil spray
-tomatoes - on sandwiches, salads, just by the slice. (marinate them in balsamic vinagrette.. with fresh basil.. a lil fat free mozz sprinkled on top and you have a yummy italian dish)
-Nabisco 100-cal packs - teddy grahams, oreos, etc.
-Fruit bowls/cups, cups of applesauce
-bananas
-Smart Start or Kellogg's Raisin Bran Crunch - (I love the raisin bran crunch crumbled ontop of yogurt!)
-Edy's Whole Fruit frozen juice bars

Oh and as far as eating out goes - kudos to Subway - whoda thunk I'd like a veggie sandwich! Wendy's - I love the mandarin chicken salad, baked potato, chili (I flip off that lady who tried to ruin everyone on it) Mcdonald's fruit n yogurt parfait, chicken mcgrill (no mayo) and Chili's - love the Guiltless chicken sandwich w/ blackbeans and veggies.

FallenFaerie27
05-03-2005, 01:30 PM
teckey: What did you use as condiments on the Subway Veggie sub? Mustard? Vinegar?

SuchAPrettyFace
05-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Wendy's - I love the mandarin chicken salad, baked potato, chili (I flip off that lady who tried to ruin everyone on it)HAHAHAHAHA, so do I!!! I love Wendy's food & won't stop eating there just b/c of her.

dietcokeaddict
05-03-2005, 05:41 PM
today i had a major chocolate craving, and had it been any other day, I would have given in and had my couple of handfuls of dark chocolate chips, but today I was strong. I had a grapefruit with a packet of sweetener sprinkled on and it stopped my craving in its tracks!

and I don't even really like grapefruit!!

gypzye
05-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I eat a can of green beans or black olives.

Those Michelina's Lean Gourmet Bistro Bowls... god, those are good! And vegetarian, too. Very low cal and amazingly filling. I don't like most diet frozen stuff (I usually think it's bland and not nearly filling enough) but I just can't get enough of these. My faves are the Italian and American.

Ditto those Jello ff pudding pops. Mmmmmm....

teckeygirl
05-05-2005, 10:51 AM
to reply about the subway sandwich condiments

I used to get mustard on my ham and cheese Subway subs... until they came out with that Fat free Honey mustard dressing. I love that stuff!!!!

dab21491
05-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Hmmmmm,
York sugar free peppermint patties...only as a treat. Also, Sweet freedom fudge bars. The best thing...I've just about perfected my own fat free, sugar free version of a Starbucks frappucino....YUM!

jkbunch
05-10-2005, 01:12 AM
What do you do to make a almost perfect sugar free, fat free frappucino?????????????????????????? That sounds so good!

earthy_chick
05-10-2005, 01:46 AM
Yes yes do tell about the recipe! :D

Islander
05-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Celery stuff with laughing cow cheese or peanut butter. Air popped popcorn & nuts.

SuchAPrettyFace
05-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Mmmmm, fresh watermelonnnnnn. :)

Tealeaf
05-12-2005, 03:28 AM
Agreed. I am SO waiting for the local fruit stands to start carrying the seedless ones. Half a watermellon is a balanced and sensible meal, right?

SuchAPrettyFace
05-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Agreed! It's the world's most perfect food.

Today, it's Lipton's unsweetened iced tea in a bottle. I have the mix, too, so when this is gone, I will rinse the bottle w/vinegar, then hot water, then re-use. :)

lucky
05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I have a lot of ''staple" foods but probably the one I turn to most often is canned black beans. I always have at least 2 or 3 cans in the pantry. They are filling, versatile, cheap, and good for you. I've used them to make veggie buritos, black bean soup, beans and rice, just plain old black beans as a side dish, toss them in homemade salsa, etc. The options are endless!

Nonster
05-16-2005, 12:53 PM
When I want something sweet, I go for coffee with fat free vanilla creamer and a package of splenda, over ice.. yum..

I also love the Nabisco snackpacks, I like the wheat ritz crackers.

Strwberry sugar free Jello with fat free cool whip and grape nuts

Kidney beans in a whole wheat wrap with some salsa

Low fat string cheese

Chicken noodle soup, but watch the sodium

baby carrots

turkey bacon sandwhich on whole grain bread

Solus
05-29-2005, 01:48 PM
FF Feta
FF Cream Cheese

Especially the Feta. It make me feel like I'm not missing out.

Invidia
05-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Lean Cuisines
Healthy Choices (the big ones :P)
Miracle Whip
Turkey
Boca Burgers (the grilled veggie kind have 70 calories! O_O)
Progresso soup
Whole wheat pita bread

Off topic randomness: Nice seeing somebody else with a Latin name, Solus. I actually considered calling myself that, lol.

Solus
05-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks Invidia. I've used this name for a while in various places and you're the first to recognize what it was. :) (or at least the first to know and to comment)

marbleflys
06-14-2005, 04:51 PM
I think I read about it here, but Laughing Cow Light is some great stuff....one wedge spreads forever (2.5 grams of fat and 35 calories)...I love sun-dried tomatoes (bought dried in produce section) and spread the cheese on them....I figure it's a better option than the chips that are in the office...

Betani
06-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Skinny Cow gets me through my ice cream cravings.

If only there was a low-fat version of onion rings...

Rtael
06-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Animal Crackers! They don't have very many calories and they're very satisfying when I just HAVE to eat something...and Wal-Mart sells two-pound bags of them for $1.29!

Betani
06-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Ohh, you just reminded me how much I used to love those cinnamon flavored animal crackers... I just may have to go find some now!

Ahealthierme
06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Sorry if I repeat some

my staple foods;

*Whole wheat frozen waffles (I microwave 2 cups of frozen strawberries, and then put the melty strawberries on top of the waffles, tastes SOOO decadent)
*frozen berries
*hummus (so tasty, so low cal, but you have to watch for fat because it's made with olive oil- good fat but still)
*whole wheat english muffins, good for sandwiches, low in cals/fat, smaller serving than regular bread slices
*100 cal packs (my favorites; chips ahoy and cheese nips- I just bought the "party mix" kind so I'll have to try those and report back! lol)
*regular chocolate soymilk (I prefer Silk)- really creamy, super chocolatey, just the right thing for a sweet tooth craving
*eggbeaters (my FAV is the southwestern style- spicy and yummy)
*laughing cow cheese
*cheerios (I like all of the berry versions, as well as the reg. very low cal and filling)
*lean pocket pizza flavor- very pizza like, does NOT taste low cal, good for a pizza craving
*turkey bacon- you have to shop around for the best kind (I've had fantastic TB and kind of icky TB) but for the most part low cal, relatively low fat and satisfying.
*lean turkey cold cuts
*pre washed salad bags
*reduced fat peanut butter- good for a treat very decadent tasting

gray eyed girl
06-17-2005, 11:55 PM
I love this thread. I'm going to pick up a box of the 100 calorie pack oreo crisps. I miss oreos something fierce!

My favorite snacks (and a couple of meals):

- Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches. The peanut butter ones are just sinful and only have 2.5 grams of fat and 140 calories.
-fresh grapes
-pineapple
-raspberries
-raw carrots
-celery with just a little bit of low fat peanut butter.
-FF vanilla yogurt with cinnamon. This is my breakfast most days. Yum!
-steamed green beans with almonds. Green Giant sells a little box and it's only 150 cals and 9 grams of fat (you can use half the almonds to save on fat) for the whole box which is a nice lunch.
-steamed artichoke. Mmmmmmm.
-Club Honey Wheat Snack Stick crackers. One serving is 12 crackers and they're great.
-2 oz cheddar cheese with low-fat wheat thins.
-slim-fast optima peanut butter crunch snack bars. Tastes like a butterfinger!

I make a lot of meals with fish instead of beef or chicken and my recent favorite is tilapia. It has a nice mild flavor. My favorite way to cook it is to marinate it in garlic and a little olive oil (maybe 1 tbsp for 2 filets) and then bake it. Only about 200 calories per filet. I can post the recipe if anyone wants it.

Elanajel
06-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Cereals: oatmeal, Ezekiel, grape-nuts, shredded wheat

Fruit: watermelon, peaches, plums, nectarines, cherries

Baked nacho chips with lots of salsa!

I'm so happy the summer fruit is here!

tchrnow
06-20-2005, 04:42 PM
jello pudding pops!!!!! Pickles--dill instead of chips, cukes and grape tomatoes, 1/2 sandwich of turkey, mustard and lots of lettuce, tapioca pudding --1/2 cup 130 cal. (Makes me feel like I'm indulging), small glass chocolate milk made with skim milk.

trooworld
07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
My faves include:

-Claussen dill pickle spears (only 5 cals per spear)
-cocoa powder (combined with yogurt or smoothie things)
-vanilla protein powder (with yogurt or smoothie things to make a filling meal)
-lowfat popcorn
-Dreyer's 100% fruit pops
-whole wheat pitas for sandwiches
-corn tortillas for my black bean and cheese burritos
-frozen fruit for smoothies or yogurt
-splenda
-Newman's Light balsamic vinaigrette
-black beans for burritos, soups
-canned pineapple
-flavored corn or rice cakes

I'm sure there are more things but I can't think of them now!