Support Groups - ~*40 Something's *~ #3

View Full Version : ~*40 Something's *~ #3

curlylocks
04-26-2005, 03:25 PM
started a new thread for us... hey anyone wanna post a pic of themselves???

Michelle1210
04-26-2005, 03:40 PM
hi group :) is this room alwys this quiet? I got my walk in this morning, took my soon to be DIL we walked 3.25 or 7,345 steps I feel better, we ate a whole grain hot ceral I cooked with white raisens ansd dried cherries and cranberries it was yummy and filling, I'am starting to fell my upper thighs burn from my walk but its not a bad just more aware of them. :) getting my water in and planning my meals for the rest of the day.
how is everyone doing? what are your goals for May? now that April is wrapping up?
:flame: Michelle

lilybutt
04-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Hello to all…..

New thread so I thought I had better check in……Well I am back on the wagon this week….kind of had a rough go of it on the weekend…..way over ate and was up Sunday night with heartburn at 2:30 am…..a nasty lesson that I will remind myself of!

Otherwise still sticking in the upper 230’s, more or less, I find that I fluctuate up and down a pound or two for a few days until I lose a pound or tow, and then fluctuate again…so just must be my body……

No period this week too….jeez after almost three weeks of it on and off, I welcome the reprieve!!!

New kitty, Steamer, is fitting in well with the “girls”, but still is very scared of me…so I just let him be….I figure over time he will be more comfortable.

Well not sure if I will go for a walk tonight…went last night and got so chilled I never warmed up all night…and got two new blisters…honestly, you would think that I am an invalid sometimes…..just bad feet that I need to work through…..but I thought the blisters where all done!!!!

Have a good night and a healthy supper!

Lilybutt

curlylocks
04-26-2005, 05:34 PM
oooo that cereal sounds yummy!!!

Marie
04-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi Chicks. CL, I couldn't help but laugh at the portion size comment. I sure with I had ever learned to control my portions. When I diet, I do really good, then bam, off the diet and the plate gets fuller. I'm trying to pay attention to everything this time because I want it to be my last. Also, I too was down 4 pounds this week. What a great way to start off the morning. :)

I'm on plan for all - water, food and exercise. I took my dogs out to the logging roads so they could run and I could huff and puff my way up the hills. I got a good workout and the puppies are tired.

Lillibutt, I glad that the kitty is fitting in. Introducing an adult animal into a family of adult animals is always tough. I tried once and didn't succeed. It nearly killed me to take her back to the Humane Society. I did pay for her care until they could find adoption parents. They promised they wouldn't put her to sleep and she was adopted into a family with a huge back yard. That made it a little easier but I had already become attached.

Talk to you all tomorrow evening.
Marie

curlylocks
04-26-2005, 10:27 PM
way to go Marie! lol Im serious... are those normal portions in the healthy choice meals? Cuz everything u buy out now is so super sized who knows what a normal portion is anymore..

Im adding this graphic early for anyone to snag for May 9th!

Le Cheez
04-27-2005, 12:01 AM
I found you, and you don't have to tell me in the other thread where you are. LOL

Hey 40-some-thins I am new. I am back on the wagon after losing 10 on WW and gaining it all back at xmas. Bummer. This time around I'm exercising too... (I'm usually one or the other). I joined the selfchallenge and have been working out for 4 weeks (a lifetime record).

anyway. wanted to say howdy.

PURPLEPANSY
04-27-2005, 08:58 AM
hi 40 something gals. I would love to join you and post..
My name is Lynn, I'm 41, married, a nurse with two daughters, ages 19 and 15.
I've been on losing weight with weight watcher flex points.
It is raining here in upstate NY.. yuck and I have a terrible cold to boot...
Have a grand wed!!

Kasee
04-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Well, it's "Hump-day".
I hope everyone is having a good week.
Myself, I am putting a real effort in this week. I haven't cheated....not even once........
That's an acheivement for me!!!
Welcome to the new chicks, nice to see ya!
How's everybody else doing? Are we behaving this week?
The sun is shining off and on here in the Toronto area and I have been able to get out for my walk all week so far, so that really helps.
I am such a sun-worshipper and the sight of it makes me want to try so hard to be good.
Won't be long till we'll be wearing our summer shorts, skirts and sandals. (And, I definitely want a different reflection in the mirror by that time.)

Keep up the good work, Ladies!!!

K

Sugar Cube
04-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Cookie attack last night, am over it, and wrote down what I did, why I did it and why I don't want to do it again. I am determined to stay on track.

CL - The whole portions thing is a real eye opener and I know that is my problem. I have started using serving spoons, I have a set of 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 of a cup and it makes a difference when I put the food on my plate, I know I have to read the labels and acknowledge when I am having more than one portion and calculate accordingly. For example, my DD is the only person I know who is eating 1/2 cup of ice cream and happy about it. Also I see you have adjusted your mini goal out to June 7th way to go.

LE CHEEZ - I love the 40 Somethins, great idea. Welcome aboard. How are you liking the Self Challange? I signed up and got all flumexed on the computer snafu they had at the beginning so I launched off on my own. I do enjoy the magazine and collect up the workouts keeping the gym rountine fresh and me focused on proper form.

MICHELLE - Great steps for you. The water should help with the muscle burn. I know what you mean on that muscle burn, I started some new abs, a Pilates move like a bike situp and I know I did 20 of them this morning. My goal is to get to 100 of them.

My May Goal is to continue towards 170 by June 1st. I don't expect to get there in all seriousness, but if I can hit the gym 4 times a week and walk whenever I can, (I want my nongym pedomter reading to be well over 10,000 steps per day), I know I will be in better shape for a fun filled summer.

LILYBUTT - Sounds like your tummy was telling you something. Hope a couple of Tums were able to settle things quickly. Maybe you need more layers for your walks, and of course all the April showers don't help right?

LYNN - Welcome to you too, and you know about April showers, they bring May flowers. How exciting to be looking forward to Hawaii, what inspiration.

KASEE - I have been eyeing all the great tangerine colors for the summer, I am so up for that and it is my color. I hate beige and all its shades so when the colors come out, I am pumped up. I also think over all I do better with the day to day with more colors going on.

It is Administrative Professionals Day, hope all who have great assistants like I do show their appreciation (chinese luncheon tomorrow) and all who are assistants are appreciated for keeping those around them from falling through the cracks.

curlylocks
04-27-2005, 06:05 PM
yep i figure i will tackle this in 10 lb mini goals...

My boss took us out for AP day and i was proud of myself they all ordered big chunks of cake to finnish off lunch but i was STRONG!!!!

i had chicken quesadillas for lunch with a side salad...

Marie
04-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Hi there. I'm on early tonight since we're having lightening and thunder. One just shook the whole house. I'm on a laptop (running on batteries) and wireless so if lightening strikes any closer it won't fry my desktops. But I figured I'd get my 3FC before the electricity goes out and makes my wireless network not work. So that about sums up our weather. :)

CL, I think HC meals are pretty well portioned. Don't they give the food exchanges on those? I think the exchanges follow the diabetic diet. I sure could be wrong though. One would think HC would be healthy and not supersized. And way to go on the simple lunch and no cake. That's always difficult.

Cheez and Lynn, welcome to a great board. Considering all the hormonal changes 40 yo go through, it's nice to a have great group of ladies together to share information. I definitely know it's way harder for me to lose weight since I turned 40.

Liza, I too eat a 1/2 cup of ice cream. I measured it for a while so that I'd know exactly how big it was. Then I'd put it on a cone (50 calories) and I'd have a great treat for around 200 calories. I eat way more ice cream in a bowl so I never do that any more. Just in the cone. Enjoy your Chinese lunch tomorrow.

I've been on track with food and water. I will ride my exercycle during American Idol (I hope Scott is sent home) so I'll be completely on track. Work was good and I got home about a half hour early. Nice since I got home right before the electrical storm. My dogs are pretty uncomfortable when the whole house shakes.

TTYL.
Marie

curlylocks
04-27-2005, 10:17 PM
im playing with my paint shop pro tonight, if anyone wants one with their name on it just let me know what color name & the name u want!

curlylocks
04-28-2005, 01:18 PM
hi guys!

well i am doing good today had my raisin bran for breakfast, and for lunch some roast beef and tomato & lettuce in a wheat wrap... I have to work till 7, so hopefully i can still get out for my walk..

Sugar Cube
04-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Definately have to practice having chinese food while doing Atkins. I think I did well with the beef and veggies, avoided the mound of rice and drank lots of water. Overall ok, but I did really want something spicier, just couldn't focus on how to order it since there were 11 of there from the office.

Did a good gym workout, more abs, want to have a really strong mid section. I have scheduled my workouts for the rest of the week, Saturday, DH and DD have big plans so except for delivering a crib to my sister's I can get to the gym on the weekend as well as do some pilates DVD's at home.

CL - Like your new logo and good for you avoiding the cake. I offered our assistant a trip to the ice cream store next to the chinese restaurant but she declined, maybe next time.

MARIE - I used to use the kiddie cones when having ice cream, only 10 calories and no way to get more than 1/2 cup into them. They are also more work I think than just having a bowl and a spoon, sort of like eating peanuts in the shell.

curlylocks
04-28-2005, 04:48 PM
what about seshuan beef? just beef and brocoli... hey speaking of brocoli wheres bailey??

curlylocks
04-28-2005, 07:54 PM
here ya go kasee

Marie
04-28-2005, 11:24 PM
It's pretty quiet here today. Nothing much new in my life. Just went to work, ate my 1200 calories and drank my water. DH will be home in 2 days and I'm looking forward to that. I'm tired of being by myself. My dogs, no matter how much I love them, just don't do a good job on their end of keeping up conversation.

So maybe we'll all be a little more chatty tomorrow. Who knows.
Marie

Le Cheez
04-29-2005, 01:12 AM
How are you liking the Self Challange?

I love love love it, it totally motivates, I love to see the "progress" report and see how many calories I've burned - it completely inspires me to exercise, nothing has ever made me want to exercise before!

Sugar Cube
04-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Great sunny day today, makes me really pumped to get lots done. Taking a moment to check in before clearing off my desk, found a memo yesterday at the end of the day which was supposed to go out so I know it is time to deal with it.

Challanges are good, and great moral boosters I think.

I am changing my weights, down a pound, so I am making progress. I am going to be real busy today so I won't have that boredom eating to contend with.

Have a great day everyone. I did 13,800 steps yesterday and I am going to try to top that today.

Michelle1210
04-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Liza, dont let the chineese food attak get you down, hmmm everything is so good huh but in moderation.....did you say cookies were calling you by name too? :o

lilliybutt Been there done that :dizzy: make for a sleepless night trying to find a comfrtable way to sleep

Michelle1210
04-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Liza, dont let the chineese food attak get you down, hmmm everything is so good huh but in moderation.....did you say cookies were calling you by name too? :o

lilliybutt Been there done that :dizzy: make for a sleepless night trying to find a comfrtable way to sleep......

I dont think i have had the pleasure of meeting you....I'am new to this group :smug: My name is michelle

Cl you are very talented looks like i'am going to have to learn photoshop, the graphic side of it beside just using it to resize my pics :D :p would you be willing to do my persoanl name " Michelle" and my sign on name "Azulfire" Azul is blue in spanish so blue fire is the hottest part of the flame pure in form....to give you an idea

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Azulfire/Graphics/butterflies_flowers_md_wht.gif

:flame:Azulfire:flame Michelle :comp:

Michelle1210
04-29-2005, 12:42 PM
It's pretty quiet here today. Nothing much new in my life. Just went to work, ate my 1200 calories and drank my water. DH will be home in 2 days and I'm looking forward to that. I'm tired of being by myself. My dogs, no matter how much I love them, just don't do a good job on their end of keeping up conversation.

So maybe we'll all be a little more chatty tomorrow. Who knows.
Marie

Aw [B]Marie you'll be ok my husband never goes away and always wants to know where i'am,,,,,,sometimes i just want to scream, but i tlel him if you don't go away how can i miss you :dizzy: we've been married for 24 years
I use to count cal too....kept me focused now i eat only core foods that are whole not processed, this weightloss is slow but it is coming off

InvisibleGirl
04-29-2005, 12:44 PM
I am happy to say that after 4 days of static weight I have finally dropped another 2 pounds. It goes like that, I will be up and down for a few days then all of a sudden I must stop retaining water or something, my weight will drop 3 lb all at once.

This has been a terrible week. After 3 months of stringing me along my company finally turned me down for a job a put in for in India, one that I REALLY wanted. My company is talking about reorg and I am afraid I am going to be one of the layoffs.
Also, found out that they are going to be opening up my nice quiet street where the kids are always out runnung around. They are going to build 280 rental properties and my street will be one of the main access streets. I went to the planning commission meeting, but it is just a typical case of government not caring about the people and how their lives are impacted, they only care about the rich developer.
Been fighting with my 8yo girl. She tried to hide a test from me because she didn't get an A. I told her that was dishonest. She got angry and made excuses and somehow it became full blown. She is grounded this weekend and treating me rudely because she doesn't want to take responsibility for her actions, and I am just upset about everything. I have assigned her to stay in the house on Saturday and write an essay about honesty.
I have been sitting at my desk all week crying and crying, I can't stop. It's amazing that I haven't eaten everything in the house, but I still went to step class mon and tues and am trying to be good. I did have a huge burrito wed night, but no sour cream or guac even though I love them.

curlylocks
04-29-2005, 04:10 PM
im gonna find me a husband!!!

Le Cheez
04-30-2005, 02:22 AM
Gosh invisible girl, sounds like you're carrying a heavy load. I like the line 'but I still went to step class mon and tues'. That's the thing to focus on, you probably WANTED to not go, to not exercise, etc. but you didn't it anyways!! Sorry things are so harsh.

I had a weird day, was supposed to be a really bad day, (my niece was supposed to have major surgery) but they postponed it... normally that would be bad (it's like putting off the inevitable, right?) but I really, really didn't want her to be in there today. (it's a superstitious numbers thing, my dad died on a 29th... silly I know) anyway,,,

Since I was awake anyway, and didn't have to go to the hospital, I did a full 45 mins of cardio/circuit Karen Voight style. I am feeling muscles slightly achey tonight, so tomorrow will prolly be full on!! I stuck within my *food lines* and all was ok.

QUESTION: do you guys post a new thread each week? or every other day? or what?

nailtec
04-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi all can I join in on this?? I am 40 soon to be 41. I am single with one Kid(the 4 legged kind) named Tosha. She is a 84 lb German Shep. I am having a hard time getting back into excersizing. WHAT DO I DO?!!!!! I have been low carbing for a little over a year and dropped 60 lbs. Still have alot to go. I started at 300lbs now down to 238. Any help would be GREAT. :D

Kasee
04-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Here it is Saturday, another week done.
How's everyone?
Welcome '"nailtec" glad to see ya.
IG- I feel for ya, girl. Being a parent is the most rewarding, and yet most thankless job there is. Stick to your guns, honey! Don't let 'em see ya sweat!
It's one of those days today for me.
I am really starting to hate this stage of my life.
I am feeling bloated, my fingers feel tight.
I put on my jeans this morning and they feel tight.
Last week there were looser. Ugh!
I have been soooo good all week, I never cheated, not even once!
And this is my reward...to wake up Saturday morning and feel like I've gained weight???
I am so frustrated. Help someone!!!!

K

Marie
04-30-2005, 01:03 PM
KC, I'm really sorry about the tightness. If you look back, I bet that there was something like high sodium in something you ate. If you've been good, you didn't gain weight. Bloated is another thing. That pesky sodium will get you every time.

Nailtec, welcome to a great group. I have 3 big dogs and they are definitely my kids. I love them tremendously.

BTW, an update on Kodiak - He's doing great. The accident with the abuterol seems to have made him more clingy but he's healthy. I guess they don't know what long term damage was doen to his heart, but their immediate concern was renal failure and that didn't happen. So he's almost good as new. Again, thanks to all for you good wishes for his recovery. That was so nice.

I've been good on my plan and can definitely tell with my clothes. Two weeks ago I bought some capris that I thought about returning because they were tight. But I didn't and I tried them on this morning and they fit great. Now if our weather would turn into real spring, I'd wear them.

DH comes home today after being gone for 2 weeks. I've been good on my diet for 2 weeks. I can tell the true test of my motivation is going to start today. He's very supportive so I should be okay.

Talk to you tomorrow and have a great weekend.
Marie

curlylocks
04-30-2005, 04:24 PM
ive been workin in the yard, now my back is killin me.. thats what i get for tryin to lug 40 lb bags of rocks.. How is everyone doing? welcome to the new members..

kasee i made the mistake of jumpin on the scale one evening... boy that was a mistake...

umm we just make a new thread whenever the old one gets big... lol we also have a web site which i have been neglecting, due to workin until 8 every nite these past weeks...

http://40somethings.bravehost.com/index.html

Michelle to save these to ur puter click on the picture then when the new page opens right click and save to ur desktop..

Michelle1210
04-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Thankyou curly locks :lol: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Azulfire/Graphics/butterflies_flowers_md_wht.gif

I opened new page right clicked....then i tried to upload it to my photobucket and I got this message :One or more pictures has an invalid format (jpg|gif|png|bmp|swf) how do I check the format or change it???? :?: :?:

I do love the work you did....did you teach yourself?

I started a scrapbook on my weightloss and I have not been able to find stckers for it, beside creating my own quotes.....does anyone know of any??? :dizzy:

curlylocks
04-30-2005, 10:19 PM
the ones with the chicks are jpg and the one with the flames is a gif file or if u can pm me ur email i will just email them to u

curlylocks
05-01-2005, 11:17 AM
"This is copied from amotivational email that i got today"
A New Beginning

Today is another new opportunity to appreciate your body, mind, spirit and LIFE. If you did not accomplish what you wanted yesterday, in terms of losing weight and developing healthier habits – start over.

Here are a few new thoughts to jump-start today’s sweet recovery:

Eat less of everything.

Don’t have any seconds.

Leave food on the plate: save it for later, or throw it out.

Don’t just "limit fat and sweets" -- don’t have any!

Absolutely, positively go out and move! Play today! Use your body in a vigorous, fun way.

If you just cannot try all of these ideas, pick one, and try your very best to just do that.

Don’t worry, every day is often a challenge for all of us. Nobody has things totally easy. We’re all struggling, doing our best to be our best. Just take things easily, and for today only. Don’t worry about yesterday, or fret tomorrow.
Just take it slow, and start all over again today. Whatever you do, don’t give up!

nailtec
05-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi All,
Just wanted to say thank you for the welcome. I am going to get out and do some yard work today. It is going to be nice and not to hot, and it is alot to do. So I wont keep you.
Curly the web site looks great.
Every one keep up the good work on sticking to your plans and try to get back here soon. Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

lilybutt
05-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Well another week down…..

Looking back at me weight loss, it has been about 20 lbs in 3 months, so I think it is reasonable to say 5 lbs a month as a goal….so I am going to set a mini goal for each month for 5 lbs!....Oh where, oh where are the days of 5 lbs a week????? LOL, okay just a little grief for the younger days……

Well did fine all week, but got out of the habit of going to the YMCA, and started walking outside, which is a good workout on the route I choose, but it has been very cold and windy here so only got in a couple of nights and none this weekend…..oh well, I am an adult and make choices and I must live with them, no sense beating myself up, just get back on the saddle!

No binging this week, thought of it a few times, but didn’t do it, so that is success!

So new goal…..5 pounds by the end of May! If I can do 5 lbs month……I could be done to my goal in a year…..seems like it is doable!

Lilybutt

Le Cheez
05-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone. I met a good friend in a restaurant filled with burgers and fries (which he had) and managed to have chicken fajitas (mostly veggies) with no tortillas. It tasted great and I swear I didn't have food envy. It was done with good seasons and they gave me salsa on the side. I like spicy, so the fact it had some jalapenos in there, I ate it slower.

Y' have to admit that conquering something like a burger joint makes you feel pretty powerful!! :smug:

I also did a new weight lifting dvd, get ripped with jari love, and have marked the calendar of the 3 days a week I plan to do it. I am moving into week 6 of the selfchallenge, (never did this much exercise consistently in my life) so I'm pretty proud of myself!! ;)

Michelle1210
05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
[COLOR=Purple][FONT=Courier New]Lechez WTG!!!!! more power to you it is hard glad to hear your being succesful ;)

liybut how i too lament those days when loosing weight was just a thought and viola done :p My weightloss has been slow so every lb is a victory for me even if it takes two weeks I vusulize a butter brick gone.....now up tp a 10 lb bag of sugar and 1 lb of butter lol :lol:

[B]Nailtec Did you get some yard work done? boy I did right before it rained it was in that hot overcast muggy stage....feel good a lil bit sore I think i'am going to hire a crew to tackle those blackberries that grow everywhere and push the ivy back its time i took back my yard :D

Michelle1210
05-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Marie i hope you had a wonderful home coming :D ;) I bet it feels great to wear a something that fits good job!!! :smug:

curlylocks
05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
eating my lunch.. a wheat wrap with turkey breast lettuce & cheese....yum!

Le Cheez
05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Why you gotta go and make me hungry?
:D

curlylocks
05-02-2005, 08:23 PM
dont worry after tomorrow morning i prob will just be havin just the lettuce next time.. lmao

Marie
05-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi everybody, hope your Monday was okay. Lilli, I sure wish for those days that I could eat more and still lose weight fast. Certainly not anymore. Losing this weight is at a snail's pace.

I had the day off and enjoyed the quiet of my house. Alone. It was pretty cool. I worked on stained glass and did a little bit of cleaning. With the dogs shedding so much, it's are to tell since there's fur all over my hardwood floors. :)

I stayed on plan but drank too much diet soda. I guess there are way more evil things I could have stuck in my stomach. Tomorrow is weigh in and I hope to see more progress. I have a goal to lose the remaining 6 pounds I gained since November. At the end of May is my 1 year anniversary of the snail's pace diet.

Talk to you all tomorrow.
Marie

curlylocks
05-03-2005, 08:08 AM
tuesday weigh in: No change.. but im not complaining.. i expected to have gained...

Before i was eating way too little food.. so i made some changes in what i eat . Like before i was having just soup for lunch which i guess is enuff, but i was getting hungry later in the afternoon.

so i am trying to eat normal portions so that the weight wont come back when i try to add more food... does that make any sense? I guess what i mean is it was unrealistic to think i could continue to eat just a can of soup for lunch ..

Sugar Cube
05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
I sort of lost track of checking in here, sorry about that.

I desperately have to go grocery shopping, I am so out of food at the house, luckily DD and DH can have some frozen tortellin and bottled sauce tonight. I am having left over chicken. I have taken to grilling a family package of chicken thighs or pork chops on the weekend, then I have something throughout the week to mix up the canned tuna and packaged salmon.

Skipped the boss's cake yesterday, there are lot of us either on South Beach or Atkins, so they could have bought a smaller cake. I made a lowcarb cake for my component director last year, it came out well, sort of thing called a daffiodil cake according to the Atkins.com site.

INVISIBLE GIRL - So sorry to hear that India isn't happening for you, good friends of mine started a school in Assam about 5 years ago, I never did visit while they were there, but they have many good memories. I wonder if with the coming layoffs there is another way for you to travel to wonderful places. Sorry to hear that your Planning Commission is held in such low regard, I actually do planning for the city where I live and we go through very long and thorough planning processes with abutters as well as developers. I hope it isn't as bad as you think. I hope that this week is better than last.

im gonna find me a husband!!!

CL - Where and how exactly are you planning to accomplish this goal?? ;) I found mine at our high school reunion, so you may want to try looking there, though my sister swears she could never have married anyone she went to school with. What are you doing with 40 lb bags of rocks? You are some heavy duty landscaper.

LE CheeZ - Good for you taking advantage of found time and working out, I have heard the KV workouts are intense. You go with the weight training, the SELF challange really does that to you.

NAILTEC - My advice for working out is to figure how honestly what you can or are willing to do. So if you are willing to get up earlier or exercise after work, then work to make that happen. It took me a while to get up early enough in the morning to get to the gym that opens at 5:30 am but I am doing it three soon to be four days a week. That works for me. DH doesn't know his name in the early morning, so he shouldn't operate weights, he goes after work when I am starting to shut down. Good luck in finding what works for you.

MARIE - Glad to hear Kodiak is good as new, what a relief.

I am down to 187 but more importantly have lost 4.5 inches during April. I am definately feeling some success.

curlylocks
05-03-2005, 12:40 PM
I have a few online friends that i have known for @ 5 yrs .. I plan to meet them in person and see if there are any sparks! lol

curlylocks
05-05-2005, 08:04 AM
how is everyone doing this week? its very quiet in here!! lol

Kasee
05-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi there.
Haven't been around much lately.
Helped my BIL move on the weekend and have been resting since.
Three days of climbing stairs and lift and carry.......(in the rain)
The weather here in the Toronto area has been kinda crappy for days now, glad to see the sun again today, finally.
Was good on my diet all weekend, and am sure I got lots of exercise.
Friday...weigh in day will prove it.
Lots of flowers coming up, anyways. Nice to see.
Have a great day, ladies.
K

Marie
05-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi CL, I'm still here. I noticed all three threads that I follow are really quiet this week. I've been doing good on my diet, staying about 1300 calories. Water has been so-so. I'm on a diet pepsi kick. Since I'm being good with food, I'm not going to totally worry about the soda. I just have to make sure I get the water up. Exercise I've been plain bad about. My favorite exercise is hiking with my dogs, but the weather is so crappy that I haven't been able to do that. So today I will ride the exercycle. At least that'll get me moving.

TTYL.
Marie

Roxymom
05-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Hello all! I'm a newbie and just getting my feet wet with this site. A little info about myself. I'm 45 and live in Central Kansas. I want to loose at least 40 pounds, probably more. I know my scale is off so I need to get a new one, hopefully in the next few weeks. I have two children, DS is 23 and lives in Missouri; DD will be 19 tomorrow and is finishing up her freshman year in college. We will be moving her home in one week! I can't wait. We have two English Springer Spaniels. I love to scrapbook and cook, especially bake. That is my downfall. Need to get some good low fat baking recipes. I love to scrapbook! Any support I can get here will be greatly appreciated.

Kasee
05-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi there, welcome Roxy.
I find lots of support and ideas on the net.
Myself, I am 42 and have 60 lbs in total I would like to lose.
Living in a house with teenagers and a man who doesn't watch what he eats, makes it difficult at times. Challenging.
So, I look for my encouragement and support here ... where I know I'm not alone. Sounds like we have a few things in common there.
Good luck on your journey,
K

Roxymom
05-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks Kasee! I will be checking in here a lot! I need to check out the recipes when I have more time.

Hey my DD's name is Kacie!

Marie
05-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi Roxymom, I'm glad you're here. This is a great thread for us 40 somethings that tend to have more difficulty losing weight now than when we were in our twenties. I'm 43 and need to lose at least 50 pounds. It's a long hard struggle but it's great to have people to share it with. Like Kasee, I have a hubby and 2 teenagers who can eat whatever and whenever they want. That makes it pretty difficult to stay good because the junk is in the house.
Marie

curlylocks
05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi roxy welcome I have a friend in a pet group, that just got an english spaniel pup! he is adorable, she is planning to show him..

nope her pup is an English setter i messed up... :p

curlylocks
05-05-2005, 04:12 PM
hey guys check out this page i found.............

http://www.hungry-girl.com

Roxymom
05-05-2005, 04:42 PM
That's a great site. Thanks for the tip!

Kasee
05-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Mornin' Ladies...
How's everyone doing?
It's Friday and I am down another couple of pounds. Woo-Hoo!!!!
We're supposed to have a gorgeous weekend here in the Toronto area. Gonna get out for lots of fresh air and exercise, get some gardening done.
Happy Mother's Day to all, take some time to enjoy the flowers!!!
K

Roxymom
05-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Good Morning! Congrats Kasee on that couple pounds! :cheer:

I don't weigh in until Monday so we will see how I do over this busy weekend. I'm making DD a Red Velvet Cake today for her birthday. She will be home tomorrow to celebrate. I've told myself only a very small piece. They are taking me out to my favorite Oriental restaurant on Mother's Day. I will have to try to get in some walking time over the weekend. I also have all my weekly points allowance to fall back on.

Have a GREAT Mother's Day all!

curlylocks
05-06-2005, 11:15 AM
wooo way to go Kasee!!! over halfway to that next 10 lbs!!!!!!!

Michelle1210
05-06-2005, 12:07 PM
goodmorning :) happy mothers day!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Azulfire/BLforty.gif

curlylocks
05-07-2005, 07:27 PM
well i went to a wedding today.. had bread.. noodles .. potatoes.. but no wedding cake lmao that wont be a good thing come tuesday weigh in! oh well... my 1st really bad day since march.. good thing i dont go to many weddings.. and since we ate between lunch and dinner ... it will be my lunch and dinner..

Oh this is me>>

lilybutt
05-08-2005, 06:47 PM
hey!

Just a quick one....more later if I have time...but tried a Diet Coke with splenda today....at first I thought...yum, sweet like the real thing, but by the time I finished it, it was too much! Anyone else try it?
Lilybutt

Marie
05-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Hi all, we sure are a quiet bunch these days. I went to Reno this weekend and had a nice time. I didn't overeat by too much and I used the hotels health club to exercise. So the weekend wasn't too bad. Food choices today weren't overly nutritious, but heck, it's only mother's day once a year. Eeek, with that as an attitude I'll be in trouble before long. Yesterday was DH and my 22nd anniversary and that only comes once a year, soooo... Just kidding. I wasn't too bad. Today's calories topped out at 1950 but it sure could have been worse. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and getting back to 1500 calories.

Talk to you all later.
Marie

lilybutt
05-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Okay, I have some time now……do not ask me what I do with my time, my gosh I am single and live with the 3 kitty babies, I have little to do! But the weekend flew by….sent out with a girl friend after work on Friday…she was feeling depressed so we went and a drink…no problem, on drink right….well it was the free homemade potato chips that did a number on me and I ended up feeling sick all night…..WHEN WILL I LEARN!!!!!

Didn’t see my boyfriend that night because I wasn’t feeling well, so on Sat I got up early and ran errands and picked up the house. Went out on Sat night, but did not over indulge. Today I did a few more errands, actually went to look for some cheap capris for my trip to Europe in a month…..not much luck there, not happy with the fit anywhere so ended up buying some at Target in a size I am not happy about, but I will keep the tags on until
I am ready to go. Then I mowed and pruned some bushes and did laundry….how is that for excitement!!! LOL

Well over all my eating has been okay….could be worse, could be better…..have weighed myself for a few days…..thought I would give myself a break for it and just concentrate on eating healthy and exercising!

Oh and on my trip to Target, I did buy and come home and cut up strawberries, watermelon and broccoli…so no excuses!!!!!

Later everyone!
Lilybutt

Roxymom
05-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Good Morning! I weighed in this morning and was dow 2 pounds. It's always a great feeling to get on that scale and see it move in the right direction. I think coming to this site has been a good influence on me. It's keeping me motivated.

curlylocks
05-09-2005, 10:40 AM
WAY TO GO!!! I also just had too much curiosity and jumped on the scale this morning and i was down 4 woooooo hooooo!!!!!

InvisibleGirl
05-09-2005, 04:06 PM
GOOD JOB! to all you who are losing.

To those who have had a setback this weekend: just remember, one gigantic fattening meal might set you back a day or two but it is not going to make you gain all the weight you've lost. Make up your mind you are going to enjoy that cookie or chinese food or whatever, then just get right back into it. Everyone deserves a treat.

I am still struggling with terrible depression and I didn't make it to the gym, or really even out of the house, last week at all. I am crying all the time and that makes my daughter sad, then angry, then she acts out. Things have been hard.

All the same, I can say 2 good things: I am still working full time as a telecommuter which is fortunate because I would never make it in the office at this point. And I am still dieting. I have slim fast for lunch most days because it is easy and it's yummy. I splurged and ordered pizza saturday night and I savored every single bite I took. But I went right back on the diet Sunday and I've lost 3.5 pounds since the last time I checked in.

I got down to 190 lbs 2 years ago and then my motivation just went away and I started eating again. So I am happy to say that I have broken that barrier by 3 pounds now and I am still going.

I am going to try to go to the gym tonight.

curlylocks
05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey IG .. pat ur self on the back! u are doing a great job! I had a round of depression a few yrs back and thats when i gained all my weight back... so u are doing much better than i did...

i know my mood and my emotions have been better controlled now that the dr found out i was having a problem with my blood sugar levels and the way my body was fighting to keep my blood sugar down.. all my labs said my blood sugar was normal but the problem was that my body was over working its self to keep them down..

and the dr put me on a diabetes drug tho i do not have diabetes. "metformin" they have discovered that it helps u to regulate ur blood sugar and if u are over weight mostly in the center of your body it is becuz u have sugar processing issues..

anyways after all that .. after the sugar swings were under control my mental health has improved greatly...

anyways i hope u are feeling better soon... hugs

P>S> did u guys see my mug on page 4? hahaha

Kasee
05-10-2005, 09:28 AM
WooHoo and Way to go to all of us!!!!
:dance: Doing the happy dance to all those lbs going bu-bye :dance:
CL: good for you, if you can attend a wedding and lose weight!
Way to go, girl. AWESOME.
IG: Thanks for the inspiration. I agree we have to be able to treat ourselves and not feel guilty about it. Just enjoy whatever the meal is, and then right back on the diet the next day.
My sweetie really misses our "Chinese Food Dinners."
I wouldn't stop him from having it, but I think he misses sharing these kinds of things with me.
So, I am thinking, his birthday is next week and I am going to give the diet a break.
Does that sound weird?
Just going to enjoy whatever he wants to have for dinner, have a toast to him, relax and enjoy "HIS" day.
(And then get right back on the wagon.)
Also IG, it disturbs me that you are so sad.
You sound like you have lots to celebrate and be happy about.
Don't dwell on the negative, smile and think about all the positives.
You have made the decision to lose weight, good for you!
You are heading in the right direction, that's a great thing!
I used to do slim-fast and was starving.
(My thoughts are there is too much sugar in it. Sugar makes me crave sugar.)
I would much rather have food, real food.
When I cook, I cook in batches, so I have some for lunch the next day or some to put in the freezer.
I do not deprive myself and feel satisfied, so I am not compelled to cheat.
I am feeling so much better after giving up sugar more than a month ago.
It's toxic, just my opinion, never judging.
Feel better, hon.
Have a wonderful day, Ladies.
K

Sugar Cube
05-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Going along well, hit a wall yesterday, probably the day after Mother's Day did me in, always have trouble after a big event. Anyway back on track and have to work on the water some more.

CL - Finally saw your response to meeting more people in person. Hope that goes well. Clever girl taking the picture in the mirror, makes a nice frame.

Read some reviews of Body for Life for Women, it didn't sound like it was worthwhile, that I could adjust the one I have already to account for my own issues, maybe I will wait to see it in the bookstores to check it out. I just like the lifting program but find the food hard to follow and have a work life.

I came across my old journal, where I record my weight and measurements and flipped to 15 years ago and saw I weighed 126 pounds. What inspiration that was. And how far I have to go. Wah!!

LILLYBUTT - Haven't seen the Coke with splenda, seen Coke with everything else though. LOL.

curlylocks
05-10-2005, 02:55 PM
I have to agree its the sugar.. and what im finding out is that its not only foods that u can see the sugar in..(on the label) its also foods (bad carbs) that the body turns into sgar and straight into fat..

I just bought a book called good carbs bad carbs it says to stay away from anything with "fructose" in it they say that is the worst thing or worst sugar u can possible have ... it goes directly to fat on ur body becuz it is absorbed by your liver...

no white flours etc... and i really do believe it.. becuz ive been trying to cut the bad carbs out and the sugar and there are weeks when i just know i didnt lose weight cuz ive eaten 3 good big meals and i will weigh in and find ive lost 4 lbs that week..

slim fast makes me gain weight ! lol

Marie
05-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi all, congrats to all the losers out there. I'm a tad jealous since the scale won't budge, but it eventually will. I gave it to DH and had him hide it for a month. I was becoming too obsessed by weighing daily.

Today was one of those that nothing satisfies the appetite. One of those days where you just want to munch your way throught the kitchen. But I didn't. I stayed on plan since I knew from a lot of past experience that I'd never be satisfied today. So the scale might not budge but my bad habits are starting to break. Pretty cool.

TTYL.
Marie

lilybutt
05-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Ahhhhhhh yes, I totally understand the scale obsession! I finally decided not to weigh for a few days.....I find the results of my weigh in can rule my mood for the day...so if it is up or even stays the same I find that I get discouraged and it is easier to not stay on the program!

Doing well thought so far this week, only two days I know but it is 2 days of good! I started taking One A Day Weight Smart. I take a multi vitamin every day and needed more, so I thought I would try it.....I read on the Buyer Beware forum that it upset some people's stomach.....no problem here and I have found that I feel slightly more energetic....and I have cut back on the diet pop....so less caffeine, but then it could all be in my head....but so what if it works! A multi vitamin is just a multi vitamin IMHO.

Well didn't exercise today, went and got my nails done instead! LOL I find that exercise everyday aggravates my knees...so I am trying every other day walking and doing the hand weights for upper body on the other days....speaking of.....I need to get to that!
Later
Lilybutt

Sugar Cube
05-11-2005, 10:54 AM
I am just feeling like crap today, but need to finish off another meeting at 1 and may as well stick around until 3 to pick up DD and go home.

We did get lots done yesterday, though the food could have been better. Drinking a lot of water today to try to make up for bad food choices yesterday.

LC - You aren't the only person I have heard talk about Slim Fast that way, it is really high in carbs and not recommended at all for losing weight if you have sugar issues.

MARIE - What great insight into your new behavior, knowing when to stop is a great skill.

LILLYBUT - Nothing like fresh polish on the nails to keep you on track. I walk to my nail salon, so I count it as part of my workout. LOL.

I know that part of my problem this week is that I am off to an all day seminar on Friday and I just don't want to do it, because my director and department are both going and they all want to sit together, me I want to meet people and network and shop during lunch.

:p

Kasee
05-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi all.
Don't know why, but I'm feeling like crap today also.
Totally lacking energy and inspiration.
Not eating anything off the plan, sticking to that pretty good.
My monthlys are all screwed up and I think it really takes a toll on me.
Don't know what to do about that.
CL- There are so many foods that contain sugar, have sugar in them or turn
to sugar in the bloodstream. I am learning more and more everyday. It's fascinating and sometimes a little scary.
Certain oils we cook with, peanut oil is the best, I have found out.
Certain veggies and fruit are bad for us.
I tried making "turnip fries" yesterday for the first time. Awesome!
It's amazing to find alternatives to these bad foods.
I like searching for recipes and getting creative. Keeps things interesting.
Have a wonderful day ladies, keep up the good work,
K

curlylocks
05-11-2005, 06:54 PM
ooo I LOVE turnips!!! did u bake them? that sounds yummy! yes ive just started reading my book but i will try to post some of the info so we can all share it... they have lists of good and bad ... #1 bad bread was english muffins... and the best was pumpernickle

Tho i dont miss the bread at all on my sandwiches... i actually prefer the wraps now..

but i do have to say ... i really enjoyed that roll at the wedding! lmao

Marie
05-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone, I'm coloring my hair as I surf and I already like the new color. Hmm - it's my natural dark blonde. Hopefully going back to natural will end the roots problem. I hate the look of roots on my head. Makes me look my hair is dirty. Yucky.

I had most of the day off but I did teach an inservice. It was sort of fun. Usually I don't like them, but the group was really interested in what I had to say so I enjoyed myself. I also did a bit of indoor gardening. I bought pots for my Mother's Day plants and then of course, had to buy more plants. I love spring and all the beautiful flowers.

I stayed on plan today and wasn't in the searching mode I was in yesterday. I had a chocolate craving so I measured 1 Tablespoon of choc. chips and enjoyed that. I definitely am making progress in altering some bad habits. I even exercised today. That's 4 times in a week. For me, that's nearly a record.

TTYL.
Marie

curlylocks
05-12-2005, 02:53 PM
way to go Marie!!!!! one day at a time... and they grow into months..

Marie
05-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi everybody, I hope your day went as nice as mine did. I had a fun day at work (gee, that's almost an oxymoron) and a nice evening with DH. The weather was nice and we BBQ'ed burgers and it was worth all 300 calories that I went over today. Tomorrow is exercise day and reward day. On Fridays I have a small DQ Blizzard for lunch. Not the most nutritious thing on the menu, but I just love them. So once a week, I use my lunch (and part of breakfast) calories on the blizzard. And, it'll be Friday. Weekend will be here and I have Monday and Wednesday off. Life is sure good. Talk to you all tomorrow.
Marie

Marie
05-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Where oh where did everybody go??????????????
Marie

curlylocks
05-15-2005, 03:26 PM
i just came in for a break.. i worked yesterday till 2 pm .. then worked in my yard... till @ 7 pm then took my dog for a 3 mile walk, today i went shopping for some flowers for my flower beds and moved the pile of concrete patio blocks i took up once again.. so that should burn a few calories off!!!

I have been wanting chinese for @ 2 weeks now .. so i had chinese for dinner yesterday and thought i better try to work it back off!!

curlylocks
05-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Ok Where Is Everyone????????????????

Kasee
05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Happy, happy Friday.
Been busy.
Doing the spring cleaning, getting the yard in shape.
MIL came for a visit, that kept us hopping.
Diet is going well, a few more pounds gone.
Woo-hoo!
I just love when DH comments on the baggie backside of my pants that were skin tight a month ago. LOL
Have a great weekend, ladies.
K

curlylocks
05-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Im here but ive been floundering... i need a boost! ive been walking, but also picking at stuff i shouldnt be which would be the reson i only lost a 1/2 lb this week :(

tho i do have a date next week with a guy that i am just crazy about!!!!

i better get myself in gear or i wont make my june 7th goal..

how is everyone else doing??

lilybutt
05-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi there everyone....

Doing okay here, down a pound.......ooooooooo it is sooooooo slow! But a pound is a pound!

I had to go meet my Mom and Dad tonight to pick up their kitty (I am kitty sitting for them for a week) and my Mom has lost a lot of weight...actually she had gained a lot of weight due to a liver problem and now that they are treating it correctly she is losing it....anyhooo, she bought me some clothes she had that don't fit her. she thought I might like them.......but they are all size 3x and I am down to XL! So that felt good to tell her "nope don't fit!"

Still fighting a migraine......I keep on top of the meds so it never gets too bad, but it is still there...should be gone soon, since TOM is about over too.

Looking forward to a nice weekend....hoping for warm and sunny.....Spring has to come to North Iowa soon!!! I am hoping to go a on along walk tomorrow in the sunshine and just take in the spring air and warmth! I also want to get some flowers to plant!

Lilybutt

Marie
05-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi all, things are going pretty well here. I'm still in my month without a scale so I don't know if I've lost or not. It's been quite nice not hovering about the scale and I've still been pretty good about staying on plan. Exercise is not my strong point, though. Asthma has been bad so I wouldn't be able to exercise even if I wanted to.

Lilli, I bought five blueberry bushes yesterday and will plant them today. They go with the other five that I bought from Gurney's. So I should have a nice little garden of blueberries. My strawberries are going crazy with all the rain and I should have a good crop this year. Lots of little flowers on them. I also bought begonias and pansies. I love planting flowers around my house. Today I'm going to weed whack too.

My craft room is coming along nicely. I miss DS but the craft room is making up for it some. I've never decorated a room where it's just for me. I've always had to consider DH or the kids. This one is mine and it's purple. Very soothing.

Well, that's about it.
TTYL.
Marie

curlylocks
05-21-2005, 04:05 PM
hi guys!

just got back from my walk, worked this morning.. and i know my moods shouldnt be controlled by a man.. but things are perking up with a guy i have been interested in .. so that brought back my motivation i had lost!!!

tho i had hoped to be down to 200 by the next time we went out! oh well he knows i am working on my weight... and i know it shouldnt matter... but in the real world im afraid it does!!!

if that rambling makes any sense...

stay strong everyone!

i have asthma as well but i have been on advair for 2 yrs and it has kept under control very well..

have a great weekend !

Marie
05-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Hi CL, I'm on advair and singulair also. Most of the time the asthma is under control, but we've had a really wet spring here in the desert and the molds and weeds I'm just not used to. So I've been also sucking on my inhaler.

You're rambling made sense. Weight shouldn't matter, but in the real world it does. Do you ever long for the time that being fat was admired? I know I have that down pat. :)

Way to go on getting your motivation back.
Marie

curlylocks
05-21-2005, 08:14 PM
lol yep and i met him on a BBW personals site.. i guess they should ask them what size bbw they are lookin for.. lmao

Kasee
05-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Bbw?

curlylocks
05-22-2005, 09:04 PM
big beautiful women

curlylocks
05-29-2005, 08:35 AM
since it has been so quiet here, Ive been posting in "partners in crime" and also "the race to 199" come on over everyone!

Roxymom
06-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone! Haven't been able to check in for awhile...so busy. I had a WI today and stayed the same. Guess that's good cause I wasn't very good over the holiday weekend! Ate way too much of the wrong things. This week will hopefully be better.

Hope everyone has a great day!

curlylocks
06-01-2005, 03:14 PM
yeah.. just start again.... the trick is to get back at it! ive beeb stuck for 2 weeks recycling the same pound, its gone.... its back guess i am see sawing...

lilybutt
06-27-2005, 10:39 PM
No one has been here in a long time!!! Anyone want to revive a 40's something???? I think us "40 somethings" have our own uniques challenges.....oour bodies are changing!!!

Lilybutt

curlylocks
06-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Hi lily... everyone deserted me! So i went to partners in crime... PIC its a great thread come on over! :(

Queenofdenial
06-28-2005, 03:01 PM
I can't believe how long it's been. Thought I'd lost this group of women until I searched back to old email notifications.. good to see you all and I hope you have all been happy.

Queenofdenial
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
oour bodies are changing!!!

That is for SURE! I swear when I hit 40 everthing went down hill fast.