Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #1  

Default Pregnant with Type 2 Diabetes

I am 25 years old and need some advice. I would like to have a child within the next two years. I also have type 2 diabetes. I have read tons of literature and found that most women with tyoe 2 diabetes can have healthy pregnancies with regular blood sugar monitoring, regular exercise and positive outlooks. I was wondering if there are any women in this community who have type 2 diabetes and have had children with this condition. Thanks,
Melissa
MAGirardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:27 PM   #2  
mom5kidz

Well Melissa I had Gestational Diabetes with my last pg. I wasn't diagnosed with Type II until my girls were 10. I had to take insulin while pg. It wasn't bad. It helped keep my weight down. I only gained their birth weight which was 12lbs(they weighed 6lbs each). I couldn't eat anything with sugar, or drink anything with sugar, just like now. Between that and the insulin I did well. After they were born I didn't have to take the insulin anymore. My b.s. went back down. But, unfortunantly, it came back up the older I got.

If I were you I would talk with you OB/GYN and see what he/she thinks.
kclay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:12 AM   #3  

It can be done. I had two adorable little ones, Type 2 diabetes. It was difficult to do the meal plan & blood sugar testing before & after each meal, & insulin as well, but it was absolutely orth it. My daughter was born 7lbs 14oz & my son was 5 lbs 10 oz (6 weeks early). The main thing to really concentrate on is keeping your blood sugar numbers in a normal range because if not Type 2's tend to have large linebacker babies.
Best of luck to you!
nweisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #4  

What would the normal ranges be? I have a blood sugar count between 4-14, sometimes. Did you have to lose an incredible (40+ lbs) amount of weight before conception? Did you continue to take insulin shots after giving birth? When did you begin taking the insulin injections? I have a million and one questions.

Melissa

Last edited by MAGirardin; 06-06-2005 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-07-2005, 01:44 AM   #5  

When I was pregnant my doctor advised me to stay as close to the "normal" range as possible (IT WAS HARD). I do remember, however that whenever my #'s would be over 150 I would get the poo-poo face
Also, I was placed on a sliding scale of insulin at about 4 months with each pregnancy & was taken off shortly after giving birth.

Last edited by nweisha; 06-07-2005 at 01:52 AM. Reason: forgot something!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #6  

I don't understand what the normal range is, can you explain?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #7  

I don't understand what the normal range is, can you explain?
I have a blood glucose monitor but it seems I get different readings than everyone else here. I get numbers between 4-12 but people here report in the 100s.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #8  
stbakd

melissa usa uses the imperial system and canada uses the metric system to calculate their sugars
glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:29 AM   #9  

Hmmm...I didn't know there was a difference. In that case, Melissa, you might want to talk to your doc about what your norms are. Based on what you've said, you WOULD NOT want to be in the 100's
Old 06-10-2005, 10:47 PM   #10  
stbakd

melissa your sugars should be 4 - 7 and 5 -8 2 hours after you eat. exersising helps to lower your sugsrs and eat less carbs. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:36 PM   #11  

Does anyone know how to do the calculations?