Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #1  

Unhappy urgh, this is sucking depressed about exercise

So for the last week I have been VERY good about exercising. In fact I have been keping the schedule of weights 3 times a week and riding the bike for at least 20mins everyday. The problem is it's taking up so much time I can't do much of anything else! It seems like all I am doing is getting up, going to work, coming home and doing a little cleaning then working out and going to bed. Rinse. Repeat.

I still can't manage to get up an hour or two early to work out so i have to do so after work.

I need to get some sewing done, and my boyfriend is sick and I want to take him soup but I don't have time to drive it to him an hour away... let alone spend the 3 hours cooking it! What about fun? Nope, no games for me.

I need to organize my time better or I will go insane! HELP?!?!?!
fatbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:40 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Fatbat, maybe it would be easier for you to lump your workouts together more? Like, rather than working out for 20 mins everyday, do 40 mins every other day. I work out only 3 times per week (for about an hour each time, including about 40-45 minutes of cardio), because I don't feel like I'd have enough free time if I did it every day.

Maybe you could work out more on the weekend and less during the week? Also, they've shown that working out for 10 mins 3x/day is as effective as working out for 30 mins once a day, so maybe you could squeeze the 10 minute cardio sessions in instead.

Hope this helps!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #3  

Wow I am soi mpressed at the excercise you all are doing and fitting it into your life. Its inspiring.I find excercise makes me hungrier and I struggle w balance Thanks Susanna
Susanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:33 AM   #4  

Exercise is a time killer, no doubt about it. I often find myself wanting to simply blow it off altogether. But then I ask myself if I'm really comfortable staying fat and weak like I am, and the answer to that usually gets me back on that machine.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #5  

Exercise kills my appetite. That's probably because I have a very low tolerance for being hot and whenever I get too hot the mere thought of food makes me want to .

The problem is that it's NOT fitting into my life, it's taking it over. I really don't have TIME to workout as much as I have been.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #6  

20 minutes is not enough to be healthy let alone lose weight. You have to do at least 90 minutes every day for weight loss and 30-60 minutes to be healthy. It does not have to be organized workouts - housework, yardwork all that sort of things count. Walking is still the best activity.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #7  

Can't walk, I have arthritis in my knees.

See that's what's upsetting me. I really don't have time to do 30 mins a day let alone anything else besides go to work and get some sleep. I almost always work through lunch so I can't do anything then.

I just don't see how people with full time jobs have time to take care of famlies, be social have hobbies and work out.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #8  

Quote:
You have to do at least 90 minutes every day for weight loss and 30-60 minutes to be healthy.
I have to disagree with this. I've never exercised for 90 minutes every day. Oh I'm sure if I did - I would drop the weight like crazy but sheesh I don't have an hour and a half a day to exercise. I walk 30-40 minutes a day - 5 days a week and I'm losing weight. I think any amount of walking is good for you - even if it's just a few minutes a day - it's better than sitting on your butt all the time.
lovtolaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #9  
making friends

Cool

Even though it is hard to find the time...you must remember that YES, you do deserve that time for yourself. You must be finding comfort in the exercise, that is why you have been able to keep up with it...so instead of beating yourself up over it, just DO IT! You are busy and so are lots of other people but it does not stop them or you from giving yourself a half an hour daily to do something good for themselves. You can not take care of others until you take care of yourself. And exercise will give you more energy to get those other things done...
karen joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #10  

It's hard, very hard. I work full days, travel an hour and a half to get to work and then an hour and a half home. I diary like a demon, every Sunday night I make appointments for my exercise so that I can still fit in some living in between. I do Ninety minutes a day. I get up an hour early and do an hour at the gym, then I do half an hour at lunch time.

It is difficult. Try and pick activities that you enjoy, that are your play time. I do swimming at weekends, coz that is just pure enjoyment to me, and I try and exercise at fun times in the gym, when there are nice people around, I don't have many friends, but am making gym and pool friends now.

Try to stay positive, I know how hard it is, I have a lot of weight to lose, and I can tell you, I really miss some of the activities I used to have more time for. My sewing machine is lying neglected in the computer room.

Hang in there soon to be thin bat!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:09 PM   #11  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I second kykaree on picking activities you enjoy. I work full time & have a long commute (4 hours RT) so my exercise time is my fun time during the work week. I have 3 or 4 hours between when I get home from work and bed time and I've just had to make some choices about what's most important to me.

Hobbies and being social gets crowded into the weekend for me, although I do listen to music, read or knit on my commute (Bus and Ferry) There are only so many hours in the week and you have to just do the best you can.

I hope it gets easier for you soon!
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #12  
LBTEPA

When I feel a bit overwhelmed and that I haven't got time to exercise, I try and focus on the fact that I really haven't got time NOT to exercise - because of the good it does to my health (current and lifelong), mood, figure, weight and self-esteem. Everything else goes better when I exercise. Just do as much as you can - I'm full of admiration for people who do 90min a day but I think 30min 5x week (my aim) is better than nothing, and it's not helpful to feel like a failure when you are actually taking active steps to improve your life. I have an exercise bike at home and I use the 30min to read novels or mags so it's a bit of me time too.
LBTEPA is offline   Reply With Quote