South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #1  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Overdose on Water?

I was on a diet that reccommended 100 oz of water a day (about 3 Liters or 3 qts.)

The question was common on their boards, Can I drink TOO much water? One lady claimed to drink about 200 oz. I know that I can get a little lighthead and dizzy if I drink way too much, too fast. DH read about a kid in college who overdosed on water - so I looked it up.

Here is this article from WebMD

Quote:
Can I Overdose on Water?

Can drinking too much water harm me?

By Elizabeth Somer, MA,RD
WebMD Medical News

Oct. 23, 2000 -- No. And you are unlikely to ever meet someone who has overdosed on water.

You would need to chug down about three quarts of water or more all at once to come down with a case of true water intoxication. It does happen, but so rarely that I couldn't find statistics on the number of cases. These people become drowsy, lightheaded, and weak. They have trouble coordinating bodily movements and thinking straight, looking and feeling as if they just stumbled out of the local bar. But the water-intoxicated can't just go home and sleep it off. They must get treatment or risk going into convulsions, a coma, or even death.

What most Americans actually need to worry about is getting the eight glasses of water nutrition experts recommend (that's eight 8-ounce glasses). They suggest even more for athletes or people living in hot climates. While it may seem like a lot, it really isn't when you recognize that water accounts for up to 80% of your body weight and plays an integral role throughout in the smooth functioning of your body's vital systems.

It's no wonder, then, that falling short of the daily recommendation may make you ill. At first, you might feel thirsty and tired. Left unchecked, dehydration will progress with a loss of appetite, nausea, tingling in the arms and feet, labored breathing, dizziness, and possibly mental confusion.

You can prevent these symptoms from appearing by making sure you get your daily dose quota of water. Remember, it's a nutrient, too -- more important than any vitamin or mineral. Besides, what could be more refreshing than a cool glass of water? Include it during lunch, a mid-morning break, and even happy hour. Here's to good drinking.

So I found the article about the kid who died of a water overdose, and his circumstances were extreme.

Quote:
Watered Down: Pledge Drinks Himself to Death

CHICO, Calif. - A fraternity pledge died of water poisoning, according to authorities, and experts warn that the dangerous hazing ritual has killed at least one other person as fraternities are replacing alcohol bingeing with excessive water-drinking.

Matthew Carrington, 21, had a heart attack and died during "**** Week," authorities said, as he was in the final stage of a months-long process to rush Chi Tau fraternity - a rowdy house that had been expelled from California State University-Chico in 2002 for repeated violence and alcohol violations.

Water bingeing is becoming an increasingly common hazing ritual, especially inside rogue frat houses such as Chi Tau, said Hank Nuwer of Indiana, a national expert on hazing and author of four books on the topic.

"These unsanctioned fraternities have no standing with the university, so to build prestige they like to come up with the most grueling initiations," Nuwer said, "And they think water is safer than alcohol, but it can also be deadly."

Forced water consumption and heavy exercise are known to dilute the salt content of blood to the point where it interferes with brain, heart and muscle function. Without enough sodium, the brain swells and victims can suffer fatal comas.

- San Francisco Chronicle
So keep on drinking! (The water that is!)
Old 04-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hottie, that's the case I immediately thought of when I read your thread title. Basically, he was chugging the water...huge amounts all at once. Hopefully no one here will have that problem. No hazing on the beach!
Closed Thread