Support Groups - April Cowers Bring May Flowers

View Full Version : April Cowers Bring May Flowers

Cowpernia
04-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Now I have nothing to say. I have a headache and I hope Cookzoid sticks around. She doesn't have to make me thin. Just be here.

DixieAmazon
04-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Not planning on going anywhere. You are stuck with me.

I want blueberry turnover, it is calling to me. Must resist.
Why did DH buy those after I told him I was dieting? :?:

Cowpernia
04-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Pick up the turnovers with 2 fingers, hold your nose, and throw them into the freezer.

Painty, how well does your DS speak Japanese now?

DixieAmazon
04-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the sage advice. I did not eat it. I didn't freeze the turnovers but I did put the where I can't see them.

DixieAmazon
04-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Which progress bar do y'all like best? I am prepared to bow down to peer pressure.

Cowpernia
04-20-2005, 11:36 PM
I like the egg.

PainterWoman
04-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Wow, Cookie-- That Cow is cool.... I've overstayed my computer time tonight, but will unveil her tomorrow for all who care to see....
And I've just begun fiddling with photoshop... what is photobucket? Does this mean I could make "buttons" for my blog? Are you really html literate, etc.???

Cow-- I don't know that DS has maintained Japanese skills... He ended up with 2 or three years credit in HS... then when he tried to take another course at Indiana U. he found that he hadn't actually "mastered" all of the grammatical ins and outs. (Not too surprising, because kids don't often master the grammar in ENGLISH.) I can still imagine him going back into international business.... but he's going to see about teaching physics/astronomy first.

I must confess (now that we have a stickler for a Pope) that I had an applefritter instead of breakfast this morning.

TPBM is running a long way in her local breast cancer awareness run next month. (I am so mammarily attached that I am not allowed to run in public.)

SugP
04-21-2005, 06:07 AM
I like the egg, too, Cookie. Must look into the South Beach Diet before I explode. Or implode. Or something. The chick from the thyroid site I visit has come out with some new book called The Thyroid Diet that's supposed to be quite similar to SB and helpful to poor hormonal slobs like me.

Today is Queen Elizabeth's 79th birthday. As a faithful royal subject, I will be eating LOTS of cake in her honour. Happy Birthday, Yer Majesty, and Many Happy Returns, eh? :D

While I was surfing around yesterday, I read various commments about Benedict XVl and one person said, "This new Pope is going to make the last one look like a puppy." Scary. Apparently his brother Georg (that's how you spell it in German) is very concerned about Ratzinger's health. So I wonder just how long he'll hold out? He doesn't really look like a well man, but then again, I wonder what I'LL look like when I'm 78?? :o

Cowpernia
04-21-2005, 06:56 AM
Painty, I'm not running anywhere but you're the first to ask so who knows. I could run from here to the bed.

Sugar, I think the new Pope looks fine. I am so impressed by the intellectual achievements of these men. John Paul spoke 16 languages? How many does this one do? Where do they get their education? How long does it take?

Now, the queen ... education? Languages? Does she have any sort of achievements in her background? They seem a disappointing lot.

TPBM would rather have dinner with the queen than the pope.

DixieAmazon
04-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Good Moring Cowlets!

PW I am glad you liked the cow. I used MS Image Composer, I haven't used photoshop. As for html I am moderately literate but I cheat a lot by using FrontPage.

PhotoBucket (http://www.photobucket.com) is a free image hosting service I use.

I must go threaten the boys now so that they will get dressed for school.

SugP
04-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I'd like to have dinner with both of them, actually. To be a Pope you have to already speak Italian, Spanish and English. He also speaks German, obviously, and who knows what other languages. Yes, he seems to be very intellectual and all his books have shot to the top of the bestseller list this week. John Paul spoke 16 languages? I didn't know that. I suppose a priest or cardinal would have a set routine and a fair amount of free study time to read and learn all that stuff.

The Queen speaks English and French as far as I know. I saw her speakin' it on tv a while back. The thing with the royal family is that they're just figureheads. They don't really have to do or be or know anything. Just show up for their obligatory appearances and get up to no good in between. I still have a soft spot for Elizabeth, though. Look at all she's been through with that wacky family of hers.

My house is still a pit and getting worse by the minute. Maybe I should get off my huge butt and do something about it. My university student cancelled her tutoring session with me this morning because HER HORSE DIED. Really. She had a very pretty white horse called Donna that fell ill and was operated on last week. There were complications and she had to be put down this week, poor thing. I hate it when pets die. So sad. :(

Cowpernia
04-21-2005, 11:46 AM
someone told me it was 16 but I looked it up and he ONLY SPOKE EIGHTTTTT.

It is sad about pets. They're so dependent on us that we feel we've let them down if something happens. Even my bad cat I worry about.

DS is going to Washington DC next week. Needs a blazer or suit. Who's got one?

Wabby
04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Popes are able to speak many foreign languages because they were studying them back in the day when all the other young guys were out cruising the strip and picking up chicks.

One of the guys that works here had a horse named Penny that died just last month. She was in her 30's which is quite old for a horse.

I think the life of a queen would be miserable. Always having to put on a show. Ick. The jewels would be nice, though. And I love her Corgis.

Painty, I had coconut cream pie for breakfast. And I'll raise you one, because my mom is taking me out to lunch today. She and dad have just returned from Arizona for the summer. They are planning on selling their big house here and living in AZ full time, except for summer motorhome touring. I can't understand them wanting to move away from all their children and grandchildren, but oh well. Maybe when I get that age I'll be sick of family too. Doubt it, though.

My sister joined Weight Watchers yesterday. The pressure is on.

I really should go change my progress bar thingie. Depressing.

I didn't get all my garden stuff done yesterday. I ended up spending my garden time weeding a huge long bed that had gotten out of control. I'm not going to buy any more plants until I have everything that I already have planted. I did manage to get my car washed and vacuumed, my hair cut and I went tanning (I know, not wise at my advanced age, but I have to cover up the varicose veins w/ some color or I can't wear shorts). I made pasta salad, deviled eggs and grilled DH's salmon that he caught on tuesday. I could really get used to being a haus frau. I even enjoyed doing some laundry. That is how bad I hate my job.

Enough rambling. Gotta do some work.

Kiwonk
04-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Thank you Peachblosssom for posting a new thread. I was so sick of seeing peter cottoncow (yes, I'm the one who put it there, what's your point?)

Haven't read the messages on this page yet, but thought I would say hi. We are at Bard today; yesterday we visited Vassar. Weather continues to be awesome, although cooler. Bard is beautiful and funky and weird. DD is taking a freshman seminar at the moment and dh is probably asleep in the car or doing a crossword puzzle somewhere. He is still recovering from surgery and tends to crash about 1 pm every day. Tomorrow will be killer - going to Tufts and Brandeis in the same day.

Kudos to Peachboy for doing the japanese camp. DD will be jealous. A few years ago she won a one-course scholarship to the U of Maine and the only thing she wanted to take was Japanese. They did not offer it (perhaps explaining why she refuses to consider going there).

Well, class is getting out in a few minutes, so I've gotta run. Yay on the Eggplant floors, Bagz, and boo on the ratzy guy, Sugar ( :devil: ), happy to hear from Cookie, and yeehaw on the shindigs everyone's been going to. I have a friend who lost all her baby weight on the SBdiet (and she had had it hanging on her as long as I have). Maybe we should all go on it.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
04-21-2005, 03:51 PM
p.s. I have been walking miles every day. not with leslie, but with Jesse, Iris, Laura and I can't remember the name of the guy with the big ears today.

Cowpernia
04-21-2005, 04:04 PM
That's our president, Kiwi. He walks? I am heartened to know that after all those years of being a beanpole, I now have baby fat.

Bagzz
04-21-2005, 10:57 PM
I Ate A Bunch Of Bacon Covered Scallops At Ten O'clock At Night Cause I Didn't Have Time For Supper-----hope I Don't Barf.or Maybe I Hope I Do=-===kiwonk-===we Are Vicariously Enjoying Your College Romp!!! What Fun!!! Xoxoxo

PainterWoman
04-22-2005, 04:42 AM
Cow--- as one of TPBM/U... If the Pope were American he would (no doubt) BE a queen.

I gave in and bought a tabloid that said I could loose 45 lbs by Memorial day. I read the article and my mind has blanked out. I found out that The Cake Doctor has a new book out on cupcakes and that's all I can think of... besides the new Dark Chocolate M&M's. D*mn!

I don't think I can NAME 16 languages.

Wabby-- I don't remember what I had for breakfast... Oh, yeah, a Jack in the Crack Fajita Pita because i didn't eat until almost 2:30pm after grocery store and other assorted errands. Then I had a big salad with a friend later. This is the binging hour. Most people don't eat at 2:30 am.

Bed or "breakfast"? Bed or bread?
Sleep or Sweets?

Aeiiiiiii.

If I had it to do over I would go to the most exotic college I could stand, even if it meant I was the so-called 'sane" one.

TPBM wants to be a geisha.

Wabby
04-22-2005, 01:52 PM
False. I read Memoirs of a Geisha. Not my idea of the good life.

Maybe you could do 45 lbs. by Labor Day, but I don't think it's possible by Memorial Day.

I had papaya and pasta salad for breakfast today. Last night I had cauliflower w/ cheese sauce and pasta salad for dinner. I love pasta salad. I may have pasta salad for lunch.

Hmmmm. What's happening today? It's sunny. I'm at work. There's a new coffee place 2 doors down that will deliver lattes and donuts. I don't even have to get off my lard arse to go get them. All I have to do is fax them an order. They have really yummy maple bars. I hope this doesn't become a problem.

If I had it to do over I'd go to college. Exotic or otherwise.

TPBM has secretly taken belly dancing classes.

Cowpernia
04-22-2005, 02:37 PM
True. I did. I was best in the group in moving my head from side to side.

45 lbs.??? Why can't I lose anny?? Not even FVIE or TENNN? Why?

How many languages are there?

I am drinking DietCherryVanillaDr. Pepper. It could be named Aftertaste City

TPBM has never eaten fried okra.

DixieAmazon
04-22-2005, 04:33 PM
You are missing out on on the okra! Leave it to us southerns to take a perfectly innocent vegetable and fry it to within an inch of its life.

Bagzz
04-22-2005, 08:56 PM
I am now making ginger cookies--the kind that have crinkles in them with sugar sprinkled all over them----i will eat six and then barf.

Bagzz
04-22-2005, 08:57 PM
not because i have an eating disorder---because i had two giant margies and i am full,but i can't resist the cookies----i do not approve of forced barfing.

PainterWoman
04-23-2005, 03:35 AM
False. I did. When I first moved to Te*as and went to a cafeteria. If I'd ever had it any OTHER way, I wouldn't have had it fried. Fried is the ONLY way....

You wouldn't believe what I just ate. and I'm not gonna tell you. But I figured staying up late (again) was better than heartburn. :dizzy:

Here's a quote:

"Cease cows! Life is short!" is a quote from 100 Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia-Marquez

Cookie... I'm working on my own painty cow... Thanks for the inspiration.
And I'm inclusing yours so everybody gets to see.

TPBM actually follows the food pyramid and gets adequate sleep.

DixieAmazon
04-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Bagzzy! The cookies sound great. :hungry:
I baked a cake at DS2's request. Chocolate cake with fluffy white icing. It happens to be my favorite. So I fell, no jumped off the SBD wagon and had a piece. The good news is it was fairly small and I had only one piece.

PainterWoman
04-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Awesome, Cookie Cow.

Kiwonk
04-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi Kids, we're back! We decided to skip Saturday night in Boston and drive home instead. I slept until 2PM today. Which was lovely, sleeping forever in my own comfy bed. But now I have a headache. We have no food in the house.

It was overall a very successful trip. The weather was incredible -- it finally started raining yesterday, but fortunately the last tour we took--Emerson College--was mostly indoors due to its being a very "city" campus, so the only casualty of the rain was Boston Univ. It was really too late to do much there anyway.

I'm pretty sure DD is more undecided than ever now :rolleyes:, but at least she has a better idea of what it will be like at college. My alma mater had the worst tour of the whole trip, I was very disappointed. I'm sure I'm not being entirely objective, but the kid who gave the tour was a freshman and had a lot of his facts dead wrong, plus we didn't see half of the campus. DD wrote in her notebook "interior decor of buildings is ICK"--they took us in the most generic institutional looking buildings there. Then I managed to clinch the negative image myself by taking her by my old "frat" house (I lived in a coed fraternity 3 out of 4 years). They'd had a big party the night before and the place was trashed, smelled of beer, and looked disgusting. I'm pretty sure even after they clean it up it will look disgusting. Hasn't been kept up well at all. Oh well.

Well, I'm glad to see you are all hanging out and being chatty. I am still fat. Odd how 6 days of walking, regular modest meals, and early nights doesn't do a thing for me. Well, except get me more points toward my dress. I already bought the dress. It was $60, so I have 20 more to go, 2 weeks to do it in; guess that's doable. It's not that great a dress. I hate shopping.

Gotta go feed my headache. ta

Kiwi

Lush
04-25-2005, 09:59 AM
"You're a cow
Give me some milk
Or else go home"

I saw Bob Dylan last night and he sang to ME and only me. Alas, my saggy, ancient milk vessels were hanging to my knees so I went home.

Let's go on a diet. I weigh over 180. I was in the 150's last year but have been gaining steadily all winter. Now I am a horse and have nothing to wear to all of my upcoming graduations etc. I do not have one pair of jeans to wear...even my sausage jeans are out of my reach. I am not a large person, bone-wise and 180 on me looks like 250 on everyone else. On the bright side, I have no wrinkles. Please inform on the 45 lbs by Memorial Day diet. I will try it.

Dd's knee has acted up again. They are not sure if there is a mass in there again. They will want to shoot it with radiation if there is. Her dr who agreed with me about the evils of radiation is dead and now I have no supporters. We should move away from this toxic place except she is 18 and will not go..she wants to live in NYC.

Cookie, it is wonderful to see you back. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Keep hanging around. We're going to start loosing weight.

Is anyone surprised that Kiwi lived in a frat house? My niece goes to BU and loves it.

According to "Ethnologue" there are over 6000 languages in the world. Chinese is #1, English and Spanish are about tied for #2.

Wabby, I don't think that popes were young guys cruising the strip for chicks.

I must go. It is DS's "Day"(one day every year, each of my kids gets a day to play hookey and do whatever they want). I think we're seeing "Million Dollar Baby" He's tired from last night so he's still sleeping. I'm going to try to catch up around here until he gets up. Must go post my bore-fest cleaning list. BYe.

Cowpernia
04-25-2005, 12:18 PM
I am depressed. Bagz .. I'm waiting to hear from you and Benedict .. English is the FIRST LANGUAGE EVER to be spoken by more people as a SECOND LANGUAGE than as a FIRST.. Sorry about Lushette's knee. It's so frustrating when our kids are hurt .. I also want to know about the diet. Quickly. I want to be tied to a bed (comfy one) and not allowed to eat for a few days. Again .. I am depressed. Cheer me.

Kiwonk
04-25-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm hungry. Hi Lush. Hi Peachcow. I'm tired. I haven't weighed myself since my weeklong walkfest. Should I take wagers on whether I lost or gained?

I don't want kids to have pains in knees and stuff. Too disturbing.

I need a nap. bye.

Kiwi

Wabby
04-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Oh geez. I wrote a long post, then hit the back button accidentally and lost the whole d*mn thing. It was a boring post anyway.

It went like this: blah, blah, blah, blah, I can't fit into my jeans either, blah, blah, blah, depressed too, blah, blah, welcome home Kiwi, blah, blah, blah, blah, worked in yard, blah, blah, saw movie, blah, blah, blah, blah, Dylan is old, blah, blah, blah, blah, hi everybody else, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.............

Cowpernia
04-25-2005, 05:31 PM
I've done that, too.

Ok. Here goes :::::: What movie? blah blah blah. What's the 45 lbs. diet? blah blah blah blah. Dylan is still cool blah blah blah blah. Wabby is sweet blah blah blah blahhhhhhh.

TPBM is Pope Benedict.

Kiwonk
04-25-2005, 08:27 PM
False. I only think I'm infallible.

And blah blah blah thank you Wabby. I'm still hungry. I like to think that means I've lost weight. I know my pants are a tad loose. But that might just be from wearing them repeatedly....

I made a lovely chicken stew in the crockpot for dinner and it's ready now!

:hungry:

Kiwi

Bagzz
04-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Blah Blah Blaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuucccccccccchhhhhhhh!!! i just made tea biscuits and ate FIVE of them------------ i must be depressed too====all day long i have no time to eat,so NOW i come home and eat all night long---------note the things i have been making------------margaritas,cookies and tea biscuits=-===i want to make fudge but it has to be a sunny day and we have had nothing but rain lately=----SO nice to hear from lushtank====maybe we could do like cookie and start the second week of the south beach---i can't hack it when they say NO fruit====someone find out what you can eat on the second week and let's give it a whirl===========i am pretty sure it says no biscuits,fudge or gingersnaps.

Cowpernia
04-25-2005, 11:45 PM
I have the book. Phase II .. day I

1 cup fresh strawberries
Oatmeal (they tell you how to make it)
Coffee
hard boiled egg
Chicken salad (recipe)
fresh pear with 1 wedge Laughing Cow
Spinach-stuff salmon (recipe)
veggie medley
tossed salad w/ olive oil
choco-dipped strawberries (recipe)

That's 3 meals, 2 snacks and 1 dessert.

salmon recipe:

5 oz. fillets . Heat oven to 400

slit 2/3 way through center. Season with s & P
Mix baby spinach, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts and shove it in.

Can you do this? Bagz you MUST do it or none of us can. You must command and lead. Go Go Goooooo.

PainterWoman
04-26-2005, 03:07 AM
Does anybody know what a "wacom" is?
I wish I'd become a painter.
I am reading several memoirs of FAT girls. I don't know whether to be relieved, depressed, hopeful or all of the above.
It hailed hail the size of baseballs north of here this evening. I'm glad I wasn't there.
I have nothing interesting to say.

TPBM actually got 8 hours of sleep.

SugP
04-26-2005, 04:08 AM
False. I was in bed for 8 hours, but many of those hours included tossing and turning, analyzing my pitiful life and getting up to pee twice so not much sleeping was done.

Ate a big chunk of cheese for breakfast. I need sustenance to face the library darlings. We are doing prepositions today, eg: The cheese is ON the cracker, the cracker is UNDER the cheese.

That diet doesn't sound half bad. Is that South Beach? I may have to get the book. 165 on me looks like 200 on other people because I am a round blob in the middle and all fat collects there. My face is round and puffy. None of my pants fit. My shoulders look a mile wide. I hate this. I've even been doing Leslie 2 - 3 times a week. When does it start working?

So sorry about your dd Lushy, that's not good news for anyone, but especially for such a young girl.

On Sunday I made a felafel pizza and it was VERY interesting. Ds12 ate it, ds9 wouldn't touch it. This is par for the course.

TPBM loooves cheese.

DixieAmazon
04-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Luckily the SBD book is out in mass market paperback now.

Gotta run. We are taking DS3 to New Orleans to see the pediatric neurologist today.

Cowpernia
04-26-2005, 09:19 AM
True. I loovovovoeeee cheese.

Cookie .. this is a game. TPBM means The Person Below Me. You can play. Some cows boycott but you can ignore that.

The job I want So Much is still being advertised. But so are other jobs. Must persevere. It's raining but not golf sized drops. Must shower. Must stand up straight. Want a waist line.

TPBM likes horseradish sauce on their sandwiches.

Cowpernia
04-26-2005, 12:49 PM
everybody go HERE (http://www.mypyramid.gov/) and get your pyramid.

Wabby
04-26-2005, 01:11 PM
True. I love horseradish. Especially w/ prime rib.

I have a headache. I'm self medicating w/ a latte and maple bar.

Maybe no news is good news re: the job, Peachers. The waiting is nerve wracking, I'm sure.

I'm going to go home at lunchtime, do laundry and eat something that is not fast food. I've got to start somewhere. That was my last maple bar.

Oh Sugar, you're my idol. I just haven't been able to face Leslie lately. And the thing with the round in the middle - me too. In fact I'm the only person in the world who could have had a tummy tuck and still look preggers.

TPBM still hasn't taken off her "baby weight".

Kiwonk
04-26-2005, 06:04 PM
True -- 190 before delivery, 190 plus 17 years later. At one time I was down to about 160, but since that was the result of some evil diet, it was only temporary. Have not seriously gone on a real diet since, frankly because if I were to gain any more weight as a result, I would break 200 and that's a milestone I'd rather not contemplate.

Oh man, maple bars, you're killing me!

everybody go HERE (http://www.mypyramid.gov/) and get your pyramid.I bookmarked that just yesterday. I haven't gotten mine yet, but it's on my agenda.

In fact I'm the only person in the world who could have had a tummy tuck and still look preggers. Oh, I'm sure I could do that too!!

I got out and walked this morning. Here's how I am accomplishing this: I let DD take the car to school and I go with her and have her drop me off 2 miles from home. It's a really boring walk, but it's not like I have a choice at that point! That's the sort of "motivation" I need -- forced walking!

The chicken stew I made yesterday was so good that I had 2 bowls for dinner, then another for a late night snack, and finished it up today for lunch. I'm assuming that anything that good is really fattening, so no worries on that gaining or losing wager :rolleyes:, although I haven't weighed myself yet.

TPBM is torn between wanting to lie around in the sun and wanting to lie around watching tv.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-26-2005, 06:11 PM
I do that too Kiwi. I make something SO GOOD and I EAT IT UP ... All night if it takes that. When are we starting the diet?

Cowpernia
04-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Did you all see this story? This one. (http://women.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,17909-1584236,00.html) about the Scotish girl who had an abortion but one of the twin fetuses survived so she's sueing the hospital for help raising it. Blows my feeble mind. Too sad. For the child.

According the pyramid, I am too old to eat at all. Three tablespoons of oatmeal is all I get.

Being a rebel, I just finished up a bag of choco chip coookies.

Seriously, someone else diet so I can tag along. I have no will power. Seriously.

Wabby
04-26-2005, 08:18 PM
This is the difference between DH and me: He decided he wanted to landscape an area in front of his barn. He bought the plants on Sunday, planted them on Sunday. He's very efficient that way. Drives me nutz.

Kiwi, I wish I had some of your chicken stew for dinner tonight. That sounds so good. I wouldn't mind cooking if I had all the stuff ready to cook, but I'm disorganized and I don't think of whats for dinner until I'm driving home. Maybe I'll stop off for some bottled alfredo sauce and make shrimp linguini alfredo. Really low cal, I'm sure. Peachez had better start us on that diet soon.

p.s. Peachez, your news article made me sad. Find something happy to tell us about. I need happy.

p.p.s. Cookie, I hope every thing goes well for you and DS at the neurologist today. Sending some good vibes your way.

PainterWoman
04-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Do you think an article about EXPLODING FROGS in Germany would be better than botched abortions/unwanted children? So far as I can tell, nobody knows WHY the frogs are exploding.Here's the Yahoo version of the article. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/germanytoadsoffbeat) And some of them apparently have a wild fling first (see photo.)

Peaches-- hang in there on job process. I have a client who's been out of work for a long time (QA on specialized computer programming code) and she just got a PERMANENT (rather than "contract") job WITH benefits. You can do it, too.

Cookie and Lush... best wishes on your medical quest(s).

I am on my own quest for "healthy" pleasures. i.e., not JUST FOOD (or sex...) although between my diiming memory and ... well, I'm not going to go into the details. Let's just say that when I could pretend I was rather more sylph like, the motivation was better.

Sweet dreams, y'all.

Wabby
04-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Yes, Painty, I rather enjoyed the exploding frog story. Thank-you. Check out this news story----- eeeeeeeeee

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20050427/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_thailand_maggots

TPBM can find an even grosser news story.

Cowpernia
04-28-2005, 01:21 PM
I do not like those stories. I will not be appointing either of you as on-the-road reporter for Cowville.

I have seen the future. DS left this morning for Washington DC with no cell phone, no calling card and a smirk when said, "I won't have any way to call you." He was a hurry to get away from me and, in fact, said I was snapping at him.

Those of you who PRAY >> DO SO. I just called about the job. Not time to give up yet but not decided.

Love,

Peaches

PainterWoman
04-28-2005, 06:12 PM
For now, I'll let somebody else look for a grosser news story. My daily weigh in doesn't count, I guess.

Cowie... I'm sure it is most stressful that DS is so gleeful about being away from home and incommunicado. Stretching those apron strings can be very painful at times. At least he knows how to reach YOU... which is your job. He probably isn't mature enough to appreciate it yet. But I do. Good job.

My DS is in touch with scholarship folks at Mori No Ike.... I don't know that he has any pull, but I'll let you know if he finds anything out that's useful.

You are all invited to see the peectures (www.journal_to_a_muse.blogspot.com) I drew with my new markers and posted to my blog.
I've inserved some fresh sheep for those who have instant gratification issues. :lol:

TPBM will come through eventually with either an explanation for the exploding frogs, OR a grosser news story.

Cowpernia
04-28-2005, 06:25 PM
The sheep are GOREJIS >>> owowo.

I emailed the dean but she did not reply. Thanks for helping Painty.

After almost getting in a fight with a woman at the airport, I am calmer now. Calm, almost. Sort of. Not worried about DS. Will enjoy being without someone to feed and remind to take his keys with him, etc.

Am sending out secret email to you cowsies.

PainterWoman
04-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Glad you like the sheep.
And that you are feeling calm. Dare we say bovine? Tranquil? Udderly at one with the universe?

I found a story here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4472521.stm), that may be as peculiar as the exploding toads and ear nest. Truth definitely is stranger than what we can make up. Except maybe Stephen King.

Kiwonk
04-28-2005, 07:05 PM
I love the sheepies! They are adorable. Have looked at some of your other pics, too. Especially fond of the apple orange lemon so far.

We are having rain and more rain. Both outside and in. It was pouring buckets through the kitchen ceiling the other day, stopped yesterday, and started up again today. DH went up on the roof in the pouring rain and patched some roofing that was splitting -- installed by none other than the idiot roofer that Lush is so fond of :mad: -- and nailed down a tarp over the worst area. Several hours later the dripping tailed off, so we are hopeful. Hate hate hate this house.

I love this quiz (http://www.blogthings.com/amenglishdialecttest/) from your blog, Painty. Here is my Linguistic Profile. It makes a lot of sense, because I was born in New England, lived in Buffalo, NY (upper midwestern, definitely -- sort of Ohio-like) for 4 years, lived in NC for 6 years and went back to New England. Everyone do it!

Your Linguistic Profile:
55% General American English
35% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

And some of them apparently have a wild fling first (see photo.)Hmmm. I believe if you look closer, you will see that this is a good little toad helping an old lady toad across the street.

TPBM used to have a pet toad. Named Lawrence.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
04-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Oh look, it's true...

I put The Mermaid Chair on reserve at the library. It will be several weeks probably before I can read it. In the meantime I'm reading an amusing book, non-fiction, about a young guy who decided to become a high school English teacher. It's called Losing My Faculties. And also the book about French women not being fat. We'll see about that.

Kiwi

Wabby
04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Painty! I love the language thingie! Apparently I don't have a Dixie bone in my body. I've lived a pretty sheltered life here in the NW almost all of my life. I came out at 70% General American English. Pretty boring.

Portland, Oregon was rated the #20 most depressed city in the US according to Men's Health magazine. That explains a lot. It's not me that's depressed - it's the whole darn city!!!

I have plans from the internet to build a cheap pond filter. I'm going to work on it tonight. My pond is blooming a lovely pea green color. It might be bacause it's overrun with fish. I started w/ 3 fishies, one died and the other 2 made babies. Lots and lots of babies. I need to give some away. Some of the babies are getting to be 4" long.

Don't worry about DS, Cowper. He'll be fine. This is practice for the next stage of your life.

I'm going to go look for a recipe for chicken stew. Kiwi won't share hers.

Bagzz
04-29-2005, 04:30 PM
I Was At Painty's Site And I Want Her To Make Her Sheepies Into Cards To Sell At The Shop----someone Make Her Do It!!!!!!!!----i Am Tired----i Want To Talk ,but I Am Too Tired Right Now----i Will Talk Later-----love Youse.

Kiwonk
04-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Oo, but I will share! I don't really know where it came from, because I wrote it down in the front page of my Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook. I guess I made it up myself :shrug: -- it's a shame to get old and not remember stuff, isn't it?

So here it is:

Crockpot Chicken & Sausage Stew

1 can chicken stock
2 chicken breasts, skinless & boneless - cut in large chunks, ~7-8 oz each
1 large onion, diced
2 large potatoes, diced large, can leave the skin on
2 - 3 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/3 pound kielbasa, cut into small dice

Layer all in crockpot. Add seasoning:
1 tsp salt
pepper, parsley, thyme, summer savory

Pour one cup hot water over all. Cook on High 4 hours, then Low for 3-4 hours (or equivalent).

One hour before cooking time is finished: In skillet, cook 2 Tbsp butter & scant 1/4 cup flour, stirring, until dry. Take 1 cup of broth from crock and add gradually, stirring. When smooth & creamy, add back to crock, stir and cover, and finish cooking.

Mmm, I'm getting hungry. I have some leftover broiled salmon from last night. :chin: Nonono, I have to do something useful today besides eat.

TPBM will never try this recipe. :s:

Kiwi

Wabby
04-29-2005, 08:08 PM
What??? have you seen my pile of recipes? I most certainly will possibly actually make your recipe.

I. Am. Losing. My. Mind. I've made so many mistakes here at work I can't believe it. If I were my boss I'd fire me. I won't go into all of them, but believe me, I'm brain dead.

Tomorrow is the big garden fair thingie and I haven't gotten all my plants in the ground, but what the heck I'm sure I'll come home w/ a whole bunch more. I'm going w/ my mom and my 2 sis's. We bond over plants.

I'm going to go home and have something nice, cold and alcoholic. Then I'm going to pout until someone takes me out for food. It doesn't have to be dinner, a hot dog at Costco would even make me happy. As long as someone else cooks it.

This is how scatter brained I am lately - I'm reading 3 books all at the same time. I'm not getting too far in any of them because my attention span is about 2 milliseconds.

Have a lovely weekend cowsies. See yas monday.

Kiwonk
04-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Good luck with the plants. That sounds like a nice way to spend the weekend.

DD has to go to school tomorrow for half a day. Because the ******ed school board apparently can't do simple math and figure out how many days are needed for the school year. She said they will go to all their classes for 1/2 the usual time and they aren't doing anything at all in any of them. Watching a video in band, having donuts in economics, the french teacher will be gone and math? maybe they'll make paper airplanes.

And next week she is supposed to do high powered thinking and get incredible scores on her SATs. I'm so not impressed with her school, they aren't doing anything to prepare the junior class for the SAT. The guidance counselor told them they should take it in June so they'd have more time in their classes before taking it. But that completely ignores the fact that some (one?) student(s) will have to submit 2 or 3 SATII Subject Tests (what we called Achievement Tests) on her college apps, so has to take them in June. I can't believe she's the only kid in her class who wants to go to a selective university. That is just so depressing. And she must be getting sooo tired of being the only one who does these things.

I've been online almost all night. Except for when I was watching Hotel Rwanda. Wow, that was a good movie.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
04-30-2005, 04:13 AM
Wabby-- I know we don't have a "formal professional relationship"... just the same here's a little free professional advice: Get some sleep! Forgetfulness is part of sleep deprivation and is a reaction to stress. D'oh. You knew the problem, but sleep is part of the solution. Rather than a Costco hotdog get someone lovely to give you a massage. If you cant get someone as lovely as Baggz's boy toy, close your eyes and pretend. A sun lamp or full spectra craft lamp might help as well if you are at the end of your Seasonal Affectively Disordered rope!

Kiwi-- Surely the counselors know who else is applying to selective schools... and might divulge that info to DD... even if the counselors themselves aren't up on the latest tricks and shortcuts. My kids went to a school where EVERYONE seemed to think they were ENTITLED to go to Harvard... well, not Harvard because Te*ans seem to have so little use for Yankees of any stripe... and look what happened to the ones who went to YALE... but I digress... it was VERY competitive and nervewracking for all concerned. If DD is interested in a low interest loan ($1500 max, I think) I know of an organization that might be able to help.

Good night, all.

Kiwonk
04-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Kiwi-- Surely the counselors know who else is applying to selective schools... and might divulge that info to DD... Ah, that's the problem, I don't believe anyone else is. I know she was the only one who qualified for the next step in National Merit. And she doesn't know anyone who is visiting schools. I think we're on our own.

I'm looking at wedding gifts for my nephew. Everything is on registry online. Some very amusing stuff -- a weedwhacker at Home Depot, a pair of terry bathrobes at Pottery Barn... Everything very expensive; I don't think Aunt Kathy (aka Aunt Turkey) is going to arrive with the fanciest gift. Possibly the stainless flatware (http://www.belk.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=10619&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9163&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=869255&bmUID=1114879479232) on sale. How practical... DH is in favor of the silver-plate wine cooler and "bottle coaster". (http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?upd=1358675x1000x100000&src=bsk&skus=6243620&showsku=6243620&cmsrc=rgl&cat=35) Well, not so practical, but more shiny!

This is their china pattern (http://www.belk.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2140569&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9135&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=869255&bmUID=1114877164844). Fancee.

later gators
Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
All that china will just break. Buy them plastic things and feel good about it.

I am writing my story now and soon I will email pictures of DS.

Buy-eye

Lush
04-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Peachie, I am a-prayin' and a-hoping that your new job is worthy of you and that it comes soon. I don't think any one of my kids has ever called me voluntarily when they were away. I am concerned that you like Bob Dylan. Does that mean that he calls his wife Mommy?
DD is 18 and weíre doing all this medical stuff. Itís fun. She will not put in the hours and hours of research it takes to make informed decisions about what these charlatans propose; but g*d forbid I should interject my two cents during the appt. You all may remember that her dr died so weíre hunting. This week, we saw an arrogant, rude, Harvard hotshot from HUP who seemed not to notice that her knee was attached to a body. When I questioned the wisdom of doing radiation on a knee tumor that is not cancerous and can not metastasize and will reoccur no matter what and will probably require a knee replacement down the line, he spoke to me like I was an idiot. Did you guys know that radiation does no harm to any other parts of the body and does not make bone or living tissue deteriorate? It was a surprise to me, too.
After all of this, guess whom she was mad at? I said to her, would she rather I kept quiet and let this dick give her lymphoma? Ach. Another dr in the practice came in with a more reasonable approach but she is sticking with hotshot. I donít like that kind of mother who thinks that everything their kids do is either to please or to spite her; but she is doing this to spite me.
So, I made an end run and found a dr at NYU. You may remember this was her college of choice until dh and I put the k-bosh on it because she is too young to live in NYC and could not run from a mugger.
Painty, I come out mostly American and 25% southern/20%Yankee. Thatís just about right.
Kiwi, I think it helps her that there is no one else from your school applying to her choices of colleges. They want geographic diversity, so if you come from a more remote region (or a dumb region) it is helpful.
Wabby, everything that is wrong with us is hormonal. Forgetfulness is a biggie. Go to the health food store. Beg the expert for help.
Cookie, your ds is going to a neurologist? Good luck. I hope all goes well.
Sugar, where have you been? Does everyone know?
Bagzie, does your store have a website?
Someone should blather on and on about the south beach diet so I donít have to buy another diet book.
Iím off. bye

Cowpernia
04-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Miss Lush I have noted in my diary that you are present in class today. If you would like pictures of DS, you will have to send me your email address.

Kids are stubborn. That is not reason for moms to be sweet, not b*tchy and let them make mistakes. That's my theory for the day.

I can't get the DVD to play. We have this old TV and play DVDs through DS's playstation. We have a DVD player but he says it won't connect to the tv except for being able to record tv shows. He's gone and I can't watch anything. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kiwonk
04-30-2005, 05:06 PM
You're right, Lush, we live in both a remote and a dumb region. I wonder how much of a shock it will be when DD meets smart people in quantity.

How horrifying to have to make these decisions -- re: dd's knee, especially when you can't just decide for her, eh? Good luck.

k

Kiwonk
04-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Oh I did Leslie yesterday.

Well, that's not quite what I meant, now, is it?

2 miles. walking on carpet.

Bagzz
05-01-2005, 08:22 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh lushie!!! {no website for store---barely able to run it in 3D} this problem with your dd's knee!!! no question that age "18" is a tough one---they feel so "ready" to run the show but if you can manage----try to make your best adult decision!!we all know who will be blamed regardless of the outcome,so you may as well engineer the whole thing as best you can!!!! peachie!!! can't do email right now but i saw your babie's pics---that HAIR-fabulous!!! and a sweet smile to go with it!!how TALL he is!!!! he must be towering over mama~~!!!---------i don't know how to work the dvd player yet,so i can't help! i have something in my eye---gotta go ouch!

SugP
05-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Just popping in to tell Lush how sorry I am about dd and to copy Kiwi's chicken stoooooo recipe that I will make on Tuesday because I have to "work" all afternoon and have no time to panic about dinner.

Ucky stuff I did this weekend that has left me too weak to post: scrubbed kitchen floor on my hands and knees, cleaned off 2 computer desks, weeded the garden, did a ton of laundry but didn't even make a dent, threw stuff out of ds9's room.

We went in search of the May Pole today. In the paper it said they would be putting it up at a certain location but when we went there, there was no one in sight. Turns out they were all at the other location where our neighbour told us it was supposed to be but by the time we figured that out we didn't feel like going there. From now on I will believe the neighbour and not the paper. This town is out to get us, I tell ya.

Cowpernia
05-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey Sugar when I was a bratlett in Germany, we had a maypole. Girls in our class outnumbered boys and for some reason (probably my mom's choice rather than do anything to dress me up) I had to dress like a boy, a cowboy I think, and weave in and out with the ribbons. I didn't get it. What was that all about? We didn't get any presents or cake.

Kiwonk
05-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Holy crap Sugar! That's pretty impressive!

I did some stuff this weekend too. I actually sorted out a box of junk -- this was an embarrassing sort of box of junk. A few months ago I had to take my car to the dealership to fix some airbag part which was rather expensive, but I figured, why have airbags if they are missing parts, eh? I did a quick trash cleaning of the car floor, but what I didn't realize was that they were going to have to take both front seats completely out of the car and apart! Imagine my horror when I went to see how they were coming on this little project and I saw the seats out of the car and some poor guy picking up all the trash from under them and putting it all in a box where he'd already put everything from the seat-back pockets!! :yikes: I apologized profusedly to everyone several times, but there was nothing to be done. So then I drove around for a few weeks with this big cardboard box in the back of the car full of crumpled magazines, various pens, trash, umbrellas, flashlights, maps, a comb, a package of cups, a booklight, a hand-held Operation game, a box of kleenex, a few valuable bottlecaps (Buy One Get One Free!), and a hundred other sundry items of dubious value. I felt very little pressure to clean it out--if I needed something, I knew exactly where it was. :rolleyes: Then DD had to take her guitars and amp and some other stuff somewhere, so she put the box in the mudroom to make room in the back of the car. There is no room in the mudroom for more stuff, so I've been tripping over it for a month now. Today I cleaned it out. It took me almost as long to write about it as it did to clean it out. :shrug:

Don't remember ever experiencing the maypole, but there is vague recollection tugging at me from early elementary school. Is it particularly German? My mother's family is all German, but I don't remember them doing anything with it. Around here, May Day is traditionally celebrated with May baskets. The only ones I've seen are made of crepe paper and look a bit like a closed up parasol. I suppose you're supposed to put flowers or candy in it, but I'm not sure. DH's aunt makes them and gives them to people.

I'm in one of those irrational weepy moods. Brought on by DH going to visit his parents this afternoon, which I thought was an excellent idea, but he just laid around on the couch until about 3:30. I asked him once or twice about whether he was still going and he was vaguely affirmative. Then he went upstairs, and I figured he was getting ready to go - nope, he was playing the guitar. So when he came downstairs, I informed him that his parents would be eating dinner by the time he got there, which he ignored, and about 4:30 he finally left, announcing he would back "later." This really pisses me off because I was planning to roast a lamb shoulder for dinner and obviously he will be eating at his parents' even though he didn't say so. I guess I'll do it anyway because I won't be able to tomorrow, and DD and I will eat it. She will complain about it, which I would find easy enough to ignore if DH and I were enjoying it. So I've been trying not to snap at DD; it's not her fault. It's just very depressing. Knowing there is just no good way to deal with stuff like this - if I complain, I'm at fault for complaining; if I say nothing, I seethe and act hateful, so I'm at fault anyway. Life sucks sometimes. But I'll get over it.

I'm going on a trip all by myself on Friday! Won't that be exciting! Taking an airplane and staying in a hotel just as if I were an adult! And I've shaved my legs and waxed my lip in anticipation. Not to worry, I will shave my legs again closer to the event. :lol:

Kiwi

DixieAmazon
05-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi everyone sorry I haven't been around, it has been a hectic week. DS3 has been diagnosed the Essential Tremor and probable Asperger's Syndrome. Ironically the next day the school guidance counselor call to let me know he had qualified for occupational therapy. Plus they are going to do further testing.

Now I must get caught up reading about your fascinating lives.

Cowpernia
05-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Ohhh, Cookie. I'm so sorry. How old is he? I'm not sure how many kids you have. Bad news about our kids is the worst possible news.

SugP
05-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Oh dear, Cookie, that doesn't sound very good. But at least you got a diagnosis and the promise of therapy. Let us know how things go.

My stew is stewing and it smells really good. Had to go all fancy and use some old shallots I found somewhere because my onions were yucky-looking. Have you tried freezing this, Kiweenie? Or is it so good that you have to eat it until it's gone?

We thought we had a mouse in our furnace room. Turns out it was two. They must have been in there all winter eating spilled birdseed. Since we are merciful toward rodents and arachnids, we borrowed a humane trap from a friend and caught the first little nipper with half a marshmallow. He got released onto the field yesterday, and today there was a new mousie in the trap. He took his marshmallow with him when he found freedom. How much do you want to bet there's a whole family down there? Funnily enough, I am not afraid of mice. I'm afraid of just about everything else (people in particular), but mice don't phase me one bit.

Holy crap Sugar! That's pretty impressive!

I wish people would say that to me more often! :D And WORD on the irrational weepiness. If you say anything, you're a nag. If you bite your tongue, they think everything is just fine until smoke starts coming out your ears and you explode big time. Or run away. Way to go on cleaning out that box! I have boxes and drawers and baskets full of crapola stashed everywhere. Not fun.

Peachy, I was a May Pole dancer in 1971 when British Columbia had its centennial. I thought I was 6 but I must have been a few weeks short of 8 years old. White skirt, white blouse, white kneesocks. And we had to practice in the gym at lunchtime for days to get all those ribbon patterns right.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE NOT LOST EVEN A SINGLE OUNCE OF FAT - in fact I weigh about three pounds more than my ticker but I'm pretending that it's water weight because my rings are tight this week. Life is an illusion, right? ;)

Wabby
05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Cookie, I don't know anything about these disorders, but I do know about having children, and when things go wrong with their health it's heart wrenching. I hope the Dr.'s can come up with an effective treatment.

Paintypants, I love getting advice. Advise away, dearie. I would love to get more sleep, but I sabotage myself on that too - I tend to go to sleep just fine, but around 3 am I wake up and mentally try to solve all the problems of the world. I've been getting some sunlight because I use a tanning bed every couple days, and the weather has actually been sunny around here lately. My self diagnosis of the problem is that I forget things at work because essentially I'm not interested in my job. Not interested is an understatement. I find it horribly tedious and boring. Unfortunately DH thinks I'm the only person on earth that can look after things, and I'm just too lazy to figure out how to change the situation.

Lushy, age of consent should be changed to 25. I've often told my kids that I give my opinion because I love them more than anyone in the world could possibly love them, not because I'm the enemy. It takes them until about 25 to finally get that.

I went to the Garden Fair both saturday and sunday, in between I cleaned house (6:30 am to 9:30 am saturday), worked in the yard, made a yummy dinner satuday evening, went grocery shopping, went to my niece's candle party (hate those things), worked in the yard some more, went to dinner w/ DH on Sunday, watched Desperate Housewives, and collapsed. I overdid on the gardening and now my lower back is killing me. My new plants are a beautiful white siberian iris, a hot pink monarda, a hardy fuschia, 24 oriental lilies that I've already planted 12 of, plus a bunch of coleus and annuals for my deck pots. I have tomorrow off work so I can get the rest of this stuff planted and also go for my pre-op appointments at the doctor. Surgery is 6 am on friday.

Sugar, for some reason mice scare the bejezus outta me. They skitter. I'd be totally freaking out, which I did a couple years ago when a mice family moved into my laundry room wall. DH took care of it because he knew he was getting no clean clothes until he did. And yes, it's water.

Kiwi, you should have tagged along and let your mil feed you too......I hate those wedding gift registries. Who came up with them? One of the world's worst ideas.

Bagzie, your life has changed. Do you like it? Are you having fun? Tell us more.

Peachy, how will you watch movies when DS goes away to school?

OK time to work now. must. pay. attention.

SugP
05-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Official Mouse Count: 3 - this is getting ridiculous. Dh says when we get up to ten he's getting out the hatchet. :o We go in and out of there all the time, how could we not notice the little darlings?

Cowpernia
05-02-2005, 04:48 PM
YOU NEED ONE OF BAGZIE'S KITTIES

PainterWoman
05-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Yipes... I just realized I've left myself 30 minutes to shower and dress for work. Love you all... hope the cats and mice work out an appropriate survival strategy... and that everyone's kids are grateful they got born... even if they think their mothers can't do anything else right. I'm lovin' you all right now... and well get specific after I'm clean. (I'm not sure waxing and shaving will make much difference.. I'm sticking to my story (and a long skirt).

Cowpernia
05-03-2005, 03:47 PM
I love you too Painty.

And I love DS ... even thoughhhhh ... before he went to this Washington DC event, I bought him new shoes (dress ones that are way comfy and expensive) and a new blazer. He came home in the shoes, white shirt and tie. On the way home in the car, he ever-so-casually remarked that he had left the blazer in the Washington airport.

But that was OK because he told the flight attendant and he/she said it would be sent on. Maybe it will. It has not yet. Kids are not forgetful. Their minds just move to something else.

Sugar, I am serious. Mice carry diseases. Do not be so kind to them.

Kiwonk
05-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Peachie - Regular DVD players are not very expensive anymore. Make DS "buy" you one for Mother's Day. i.e. buy yourself one.

One of my kitties caught a mouse last night -- outside. I'm not sure we have any inside right now, although about a month ago I saw one in the living room. The cats stared at where it went for a looooooooooooong time, but they never did anything about it. I am as careful as I can manage about cleaning anywhere I find mouse poop, but if our mice were carrying diseases, we'd all be dead -- we have had hundreds over the years.

I sure wish I were more organized. I keep having to remind myself that I'm leaving for Charleston in 3 days. Even though it's only a long weekend, I have to have the right clothes for this shindig. And the weather :dunno: -- who knows? the forecast is for highs of 72, rain on Friday, sun on Saturday. It's going to be that kind of a trip where I have to pack everything. Well, except for the long underwear.. I made an appointment to get my hair cut tomorrow, but I don't have a clue what to tell them to do with it. It is way too long, and I'm ******ed when it comes to putting it up, so the only way I can think of to make it look nice for the wedding is to cut a few inches off and hope it looks decent as is.

Today I'm making Scotch broth. I had a roast lamb shoulder the other day so I'm simmering the bone with some veggies from my freezer "veggies for soup" container (I wonder how old that is?) and onions and celery. Then I'm going to strain the broth and make a soup with barley, the leftover lamb and carrots, celery and onions. Maybe mushrooms too. They go well with barley.

I'm still reading the French women don't get fat book. I don't think it's going to help me out much, although the recipes I've looked at sound interesting -- apple pie without crust, leek soup.

Wabby, what are you surgery-ing? I hope it's not serious! Did you already tell us and I forgot? Speaking of forgetting, no wonder you've been forgetful, you've got this on your mind!

Kiwi

Cowpernia
05-03-2005, 09:08 PM
What is Wabby surgerying? How did I miss that? Well, I miss a lot. And I do own a real DVD player. The TV is so old that the DVD can't plug into it normal. When is Amazing Race on? Where can I find Chocoalte?

Wabby
05-04-2005, 02:24 PM
The Dr. is calling it surgery. I would call it a procedure. It will take care of the Aunt Flo problems, but darn, I won't be able to have any more children. It is not a hysterectomy. I go in on friday am, go home friday afternoon. The worst part is that I have to have general anesthesia. I always wake up nauseous. ick.

Kiwonk
05-04-2005, 06:15 PM
In that case, I hope you have a stress-free "procedure". Maybe I should have a procedure. On my brain! God I've got a wicked headache. Comes from too much coffee and junk food and not enough real food.

Oo, speaking of food, that soup last night was excellent. I am becoming the queen of soup. Maybe I should go into business. I could call it "Queen of Soup". "Queen of Chicken Noodle Soup" .. "Queen of Hamburger Soup" .. "Queen of Lamb and Barley Soup"

Well, I got my hairs cut. It looked pretty good when I left the salon. Now it looks like a fat girl haircut to me. I have green fingers and a green tongue. I'm such a child. I bought a little bag of Cheetos that stain your tongue "Yoda Green".

Kiwi

Cowpernia
05-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I heared on the raydio that the Soup **** is opening a chain of soup kitchens allllllllllllll across the nation called "The Original Soup" or something like that with Original in the name. He prolly will not come to BeeSpit ME so you can open a shop... The Original Soup Kitchen ... that's.

Will Wabby be absent then?

Boring myself.

Wabby
05-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Yes. I will be absent friday until the following thursday. I know you will all miss me terribly. I could probably go back to work sooner, but I'm going to milk this for all its worth. I'm thinking of telling DH that I can't do dishes or laundry for 2 weeks - Doctor's orders!

I love soup too, Kiwi, but it's been summery here so I've been cooking summer time food like bbq hamburgers and chicken and pasta salad, corn on the cob, etc. The problem w/ it being summery is that I'm too fat to wear summer clothes. I need big bulky sweaters.

Sorry about your sore brain, Kiwi. Did you watch Oprah yesterday when they discussed bowel movements & passing gas? They also talked about what we should eat to live long and have healthy lives. Chocolate was not on the list, but red wine was. My hair always looks good when I leave the stylist, but I can never duplicate it. I style it into the old lady do the next day. Guess that's because I'm the old lady. You have lovely taffy colored hair, Kiwi. It could never be fat girl hair.

OK. I'm off to read some more of the curious incident of the dog in the night-time. It's past due so I've got to hurry up. I still haven't bought The Mermaid Chair.

Peach, did the blazer show up yet?

Kiwonk
05-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Y Did you watch Oprah yesterday when they discussed bowel movements & passing gas? They also talked about what we should eat to live long and have healthy lives. Chocolate was not on the list, but red wine was. ?Gee I shoulda watched that Oprah show about gas. :o

I can't drink red wine, it gives me migraines. Which I think means I should eat a lot of chocolate, don't you?

Did you notice the new smilies? This one :tantrum: seems useful.

Well, Wabby, we will definitely miss you. If you should happen across a 'puter that's not at the office (to be avoided at all costs, I should think), be sure to sign on and tell us how it went.

I'm heading out to the airport around 3 or 4 in the morning tonight?tomorrow. I'm nearly packed. By which I mean I picked out some shoes and some jewelry to take. I still have laundry to do, I think....

Kiwi

Cowpernia
05-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Kiwi, PLEASESSEEEE details about shoes and jewelry please. I am fighting off thoughts that you are getting kinky ... or have been always ... probably that.

Kiwonk
05-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Kiwi, PLEASESSEEEE details about shoes and jewelry please. I am fighting off thoughts that you are getting kinky ... or have been always ... probably that.What? It's kinky to pack shoes and jewelry when you go on a trip? Well, maybe if that's all you take...

Did I ever tell you that I organized all my shoes last fall sometime and put the decent ones in shoeboxes with printed labels. Now, that's kinky. Anyway, I went with the taupe 1.25" heel Trotters for the wedding. And the tan huarache sandals for the rehearsal dinner. And for jewelry, I've brought pearls for the wedding, and other stuff for other stuff. You didn't really want to know this, did you? It just gives me an excuse to waste more time on the computer instead of finishing my laundry.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
05-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Yes, I was concerned about what was in between the Pearls and the Huaraches.

You got $47 for working out?

Wabby
05-05-2005, 07:05 PM
G'bye Kiwi! Have fun at the wedding!

I'll see all of you next thursday.

Bagzz
05-05-2005, 08:48 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh sorry i missed you wabby and kiwonk!!!! hope you all have the time you are supposed to have---fun for kiwi----not too painful for wabster@@@ what are we going to do in here cowpern??? will sugar show up??? will painty stop by???? will i remember how to log on to the computer???----the shop is kind of busy this week due to Mother's Day-=--i am hoping for a good day on Saturday!!! i want my brother to get over here and put wireless internet in the house----the girls hog the computer at night and it's in the hall outside my room and I CAN'T STAND THE RACKET OF THE KEYS CLICKETY CLACKING TIL TWO IN THE MORNING!!!!!!!--- the girls are all waitressing this summer and are getting tips which they looooooooove!!!! xoxox

Kiwonk
05-05-2005, 11:29 PM
You got $47 for working out?Yeah, cool huh? Some of it's for getting to bed earlier. Actually, it's $32 for getting to bed earlier and $17 for workouts. I've logged about 25 miles of walking, plus 4 of Leslie walking, plus a yoga tape and a snowshoe hike, since I started counting it. It's not all that much, but it's something.

Bagz, good luck with the mother's day sales. I'm surprised none of the girls are clamoring to work in the store. Can't deal with the boss, eh?

I'm still not completely packed. Gotta run. Wish DD luck on the SATs this Saturday. She needs big numbers!!

Ta, have a good weekend.
Kiwi

Cowpernia
05-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Kiwi ... re the SAT ... How long does it last? I don't know when to pick DS up.

don't leave til you tell me.

Cowpernia
05-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Where ISISISI Sugar? Did her mousie eat her up?

Bagzz
05-06-2005, 03:45 PM
SAT's!!!! we don't have those---we have provincial exams and then we have the Advanced Placement exams----i wonder why you have them and we don't?? i know that the kids who go to american schools have to go to the states and write the SATs---so you say that ds is writing tomorrow---does he write in grade twelve too or just grade eleven????EXPLAINEZ-VOUS!!!!!!

Cowpernia
05-06-2005, 03:49 PM
You are SO CUTE when you yell in French!!! Do it more.

DS and Kiwiette are both writing the SATs tomorrow. They do it in grade 11 (see .. I am speaking Canadian) not in grade 12 unless they want to keep redoing some of it for a better result. Not every school has Advanced Placement. DS's does not. I do not think Kiwiette's does. You have an uppity-froo-froo school.

The test starts at 8:00. I want Kiwi to tell me when it ends so I'll know when to pick him up.

SugP
05-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Too cranky to post. Major decluttering and family annoyance today. :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: Will try again tomorrow.

Mouse count:4. Risk of disease: Low - they are all locked in the furnace room. The only poop is in there. I should send some to Oprah for her opinion. Who in their right minds would give up chocolate?

We wrote SATs AND provincial exams. But that was about 100 years ago, so what do I know?

Get well soon, Wabby! Get real drunk, Kiwi!

Hi Peachie and Bagzie and Painty!

I'm so lame. And fat. And boring. Bleh. :sorry:

Lush
05-07-2005, 08:53 AM
OOOOh, Cookie, you must be in a panic about DS3. T-G for early intervention. Whatís the tremor all about? Is it related? There is nothing worse than health problems with our kids.
Have fun Kiwi~ the SAT lasts until about 12:30; at least the old one did.
Iím so depressed; yet, I am a bottle of sunshine next to my dd. We went to NYU and were told the same thing we were told at Penn except by a dr that was WONDERFUL. He sat with DD for 1 Ĺ hours explaining everything. I was astounded. His office was packed and he didnít seem hurried or rushed at all. He was so tactful about telling her her options(or lack thereof) then he talked, answered every question and even bsíd a little to relax her.
No matter she is devastated. She needs 2 surgeries and must have radiation due to the aggressiveness of the tumor and the fact that it will come back no matter what and it will destroy her bone no matter what. There is no option, he says. He said that usually the type of tumor she has results in amputation because it is so rare and it mimics a type of tumor that is less aggressive. The upshot is: she canít go to school in the fall. She has to wait until January. She MUST have radiation; he says there is no other option.
The worst part is that her friends are so wrapped up in graduation etc that they have abandoned her.
Do you remember that she was May Queen?
She has the prom on Friday but she doesnít want to go. Iím worried about her in about 15 different ways. Sheís really, really, really depressed. She came home from school yesterday at noon in tears.
She was originally going to have her surgery on the 17th because she is exempt from finals so she is finished with HS on Friday, but if she does she will miss her AP exams. That means she will miss her first semester and her exams, it comes out to about one more year undergraduate.
Now Iím wondering what is most important; the exams or getting her finished with this as quickly as possible. Ach.
Somebody do something.

SugP
05-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Oh my god, Lushy - that's awful. I'm so sorry. Your poor, sweet dd. At least you have a decent doctor on your side but that doesn't change the prognosis much. Am I understanding this right?: if she has the radiation, it will keep the tumor at bay and avoid amputation, or is that inevitable? Man, I wish we could do something. :grouphug:

Lush
05-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your good wishes, Sugar. I wasn't clear. In the PAST this has resulted in amputation because it wasn't cancer and was considered benign, they did not use radiation. Now they consider it malignant but not cancer. Without radiation, it will destroy tissue and bone but will not move to another part of the body. That will not happen to dd, she has tons of hotshot drs. Without radiation it has an 85% chance of coming back. With radiation it has a 10% chance. After the last surgery it had a 50% chance of coming back. We lost that bet, so I guess radiation wins.

Cowpernia
05-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Of course her health is most importatant but AP's are way important too. They might be important to her emotional health. Will it make a difference if she takes them? Tell her her old fat Aunt Peaches loves her and is praying for her.

PainterWoman
05-08-2005, 10:42 PM
I am quite sure I've posted recently but darned if I can find it. Happy Mother's Day y'all.
Lushie, I am SO sorry that DD is having to face so much trauma at her age. If she can maintain/get control of her health I would think she'll have another chance to do AP exams in the Fall, or that the school involved will have some provision for allowing her to exempt out of her AP type classes.

DH has been a dear about mother's day. He took me to lunch and then August Max and bought me some "resort wear" that I can wear in MA in a couple of weeks. We also browsed through Coldwater Creek. Yummy things. But omigod I am a blimp in the mirror.

I am even more emotionally over wrought because i found out my childhood home is for sale (not that i could afford to buy it back) and I've been looking at the peeectures. I miss that place... even though it's been painted white instead of being left natural swood color, and even though they (thank goodness) covered the linoleum and put down hardwood floors.

This (http://itech.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Itech&PRGNAME=MLSLogin&ARGUMENT=WuNw79hemLWPIo4tBSiSOw%3D%3D) is where the photos are.

I'm going to make a sandwich and maybe have a drink and go to bed.
Hugs all.

Cowpernia
05-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Painty, you grew up in Pasadena?!?!?! How beautiful. I loved driving through there when I lived in LA. Very very good place to be a kid.

My DS took me to lunch and to see Hitcher's Guide to the Galaxy yesterday. He forgot to take his wallet.

Kiwonk
05-09-2005, 03:58 PM
You are SO CUTE when you yell in French!!! Do it more.

DS and Kiwiette are both writing the SATs tomorrow. They do it in grade 11 (see .. I am speaking Canadian) not in grade 12 unless they want to keep redoing some of it for a better result. Not every school has Advanced Placement. DS's does not. I do not think Kiwiette's does. You have an uppity-froo-froo school.

The test starts at 8:00. I want Kiwi to tell me when it ends so I'll know when to pick him up.I thought DS already took the SAT in March? Anyhow, how was I going to tell you when to pick up DS when I left at 3 in the morning Friday? I guess you'll have picked him up by now anyway...

DD has one AP class -- Chemistry. They don't do the AP test the same as SATs; they give it during the school day. The SATIIs on the other hand are handled the same as the SATs, you have to register for them yourself, pay for them and take them on a Saturday. You don't have to take an AP class to take any of the SATIIs.

Gotta run. Talk later.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
05-09-2005, 04:07 PM
That looks like directions for assembling a bicycle. I am SO GLAD to see a post, however. Way to go Kiwi!!!!!!!!!

I saw the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Anyone else?

Talk.

We got a resume sent in to our office. The applicant said she has "excellent grammar skills" and would be "willing to relocate buy June 15."

SugP
05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Haven't seen Hitchhiker's Guide yet. Would like to maybe read the book first.

My biggest kid is only in grade 6 so I don't have to worry about SATs or USBs or UFOs or whatever for a long while yet and I don't think they have those here anyway.

What? Is Kiwi back or was she posting from Anytown's public library?

I made split pea soup. Nutritious and cheap and ds9 will eat it. It's for tomorrow because I have actually planned a meal one day ahead. I think I am deserving of a medal for being prepared for once in my life.

Speaking of my life, it sucks. What can I do to make it stop doing that?

Bagzz
05-09-2005, 09:02 PM
OKAY---I BOUGHT---FRENCH WOMEN DON'T GET FAT SO NOW WHAT???? I heard that kiwonk was reading it,so i had to get it----has anyone else read???? peach-honk-----my step dd LOVED the movie you went to=-----how sweet of ds to take the old lady out on mother's day---i was at the pool watching ds swim at his "hockey party"----he got a medal---most IMPROVED hockey player---he was thrilled to biTs-----SUGAR----IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY LIFE WAS QUITE SUCKY WHEN I WAS HOME WITH KIDS ALL DAY LONG------the first time around with the girls {now 21 and 19} was REALLY lonely cause the internet hadn't been invented---wnen i met yOUSE loosers,ds was four years old and i was SO THRILLED TO HAVE COMPANY ON THE INTERNET@!!!!!!-----WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MAKES!!!!-- i really remember those long lonely winter days all cooped up with kids and I FEEL YER PAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNN!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Kiwonk
05-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Well, Peachie, did DS get that bike assembled?

Lush, you must be tearing your hair out. Poor DD, no one should be faced with all that at so young an age. It's just not fair. She must be pretty scared. You would think though that they could push the surgery back a week if she feels strongly about taking the AP exams.

My DD has AP Chem exam tomorrow. Tonight she was inducted into the National Honor Society. Hoopdedoo. She said the SATs went fine on Saturday. She barely had time to finish her essay, so didn't get to proofread it. She claims that she proofs as she goes (which always make the editor in me raise an eyebrow at her). I am really hoping that she gets some awesome scores in the Writing section. I'm sure her math score will be an improvement over the PSAT, but who knows how much, it's the Verbal scores that will make her look good.

Well, I got home late last night. The return trip was a real ordeal. I ended up with a 4 hour layover, because they offered to put me on an earlier flight when I got to the airport in Charleston -- lot of good that did me. When you are alone in an airport, you have to lug every last thing around with you wherever you go, and my carryon just seemed to get heavier and heavier as the day went on. I spent a really long time sitting in a chair staring out the window. I have included a picture I took during a period of extreme boredom. I am an avid reader, but something about sitting in an airport, I just can't read for more than 20 minutes without sighing heavily and putting the book away :rolleyes: .

Had a great weekend with the family. Parents drove me nuts as usual. The nephew and his bride were gorgeous and deliriously happy. My brother (his father) showed up and behaved himself. Will send around a few pics; I didn't take too many of the wedding and reception because they had a wonderful photographer -- she was a cousin of the bride and she will be posting all the photos online, so I didn't feel the need to try to get pics of everything.

I can't believe your kid will eat split pea soup, Sug. Lucky you.

Who wants to see the shoes I bought for DD for the prom? I can't believe she's actually going to wear these -- the red ones (http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/L422650.jpg) . I am such a sucker for this first prom thing. Her date's mother and I are plotting various photo taking opportunities together. Did I tell you DD ordered him a boutonniere at the florist? How cute is that? God, I'm hopeless. She painted her toenails bright red with silver glitter already. Her date is the guy on whose fingernails she painted piano keyboards last year for their show choir performance. No wonder he likes her...

Kiwi, all scattered.

Kiwonk
05-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey! Where is everybody? I'm here--talk to me!

TPBM has been waiting for someone else to post first.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
05-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Poem: "Grass" by Ruth L. Schwartz from dear good naked morning © Autumn House Press. Reprinted with permission.

Grass

Yesterday, and the day before that,
the cows ate grass.
Tomorrow, and the next, and every day after that,
the cows will eat grass.
They'll eat until they can't stand up,
and even then, collapsed upon the earth in their last hours,
if they can reach it with their mouths, they'll eat grass.
They'll eat until they've eaten it all, until there are only
a few stray blades
halfway buried under bouldersóthen
they'll nudge aside the boulders
with their large and knowing lips,
and eat that grass, too.
Only the smallest calves, today,
the ones no bigger than dogs, are lying down.
They gaze out onto the landscape like dreamers:
the sky marbled with fatty clouds;
the cherry trees beginning to leaf;
the first few poppies, unfurling their cadmium banners;
the fences making some things possible, and others difficult;
the shadows falling from, and following, each thing;
and the world seems so strange, so common and wondrous
at once, that the calves ask the cows eating grass,
Is this all there is?
And the answer comes back from mouths full of grass:
This is all there is.

I think the server ate my post. And it was SO witty. Heh heh.
Recap:
The above poem is for all cows, and especially SugP who seems to have a bit of existential angst.

I liked Kiwi's DD's shoes and artsy photo from the airport.

I think Cowie's job applicant should be told "bye bye" instead of
by or buy.

that's all I remember.

who has a new thread name? The Merry Merry Month of Cows?

SugP
05-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Thankyew Painty! I am much less angsty after reading that. I think. Cows are so soothing, aren't they?

Looks like this IS all there is. :( :lol: :D :devil: ;)

Bagzz
05-10-2005, 05:43 PM
i am here to say---welcome back KIWONK--i want to see the online pics of the wedding---i do recall the couple were VERY handsome!!!!----i am going to have a BARbeque now because it is actually NICE out----there--i posted, NEXXXT----american idol is on tonight---and HOUSE----i like it----------anyone like HOUSE??---nice cow poem painty---makes me like them even more

PainterWoman
05-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Glad you were mooooooooooo'ved by the poem.
I am trying to substitute expression and artsiness for food. It only works sometimes. If I would substitute exercise for whining I'd be even better off.

Hugs to each. I'm off to watch the telly with DH. 2nd half of Veronica Mars and no doubt some CSI spin off.... (better than SciFi channel... but I'll never tell!!)

Kiwonk
05-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Grooooooooovey po'm, Painty. We are Cow-------OHMMMMMM. I need to do some substitutions too. Definitely need to find something to replace cheese...

I like House too, Bagz. The guy who plays House is an old fave of mine from British TV. I like how cranky he is; makes me feel almost normal.

CSI is definitely better than SciFi channel, although the blood level is comparable.

I watch way too much TV -- lately I've been getting into The OC. Peter Gallagher (also Tufts '77) knocks my sox off.

Kiwi, art photographer :lol3:

Things I'm mad about today: (Please note that this man was "elected" 5 days later)
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program."
--GWB, St. Charles, MO, 11/2/2000

Cowpernia
05-11-2005, 03:53 PM
I would like House if I knew what it was.

I am sleepy.

I am at work.

Wasn't Amazing Race GREAT last night??? The nice people won. The people with integrity and kindness. I loved the ending. Yay.

Yawn.

Kiwonk
05-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Wasn't Amazing Race GREAT last night??? The nice people won. The people with integrity and kindness. Yeah, sure surprised me. I thought Rob and Amber were going to win all along. That Rob is such a snake -- although you have to admit that the two of them worked together incredibly well. There wasn't any of the bickering and sniping that the model and soldier couple did (weren't they vile?). But Uchenna and Joyce worked together just as well and were way more deserving. I'm thrilled too.

Here's House (http://www.fox.com/house/)

Kiwi

Cowpernia
05-12-2005, 08:52 AM
while I waiting for HOuse to load ... drumming fingers ... what happened to Maude at the end of Harold and Maude? She took pills to kill herself. He called an ambulance. She's waving at him as she's carted through a door at the hospital. He's outside playing his banjo and dancing. Did she die?????

House loaded. Still don't know what it is.

Bye.

Wabby
05-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Yes. Maude died. I didn't, though. I'm back and I'm still alive. I was quite happy to wake up from anesthesia.

Lush, the news about DD is so terrible. What a traumatic thing to go through at her age. I'm just hoping and praying for the very best outcome for her. So hard on the mom, too. Nothing worse than watching your child suffer, and the depression can be harder than the physical pain.

Welcome home, Kiwi.

Loved the cow poem, Painty.

Life at home w/ little kids can be quite sucky, Sugar. I was fortunate to have a neighbor w/ kids the same ages as mine to hang out with. We drank a lot of coffee, a little wine, and kept each other sane.

Hi to the rest of you cowsies. I'll be back. I've got to catch up on some work.

SugP
05-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey Wabby! Glad you got through "the procedure" all right!!

I won't even mention how FAT I am because it's udderly ridiculous. I MUST do something but I feel like cr*p and I'm exhausted no matter how much I sleep. Blah blah blah.

Must go to bed now so I can toss and turn. Have to do something when I#m not whining, eh? :D

Cowpernia
05-12-2005, 06:54 PM
starting a new thread