Support Groups - Way Over 40 #14

View Full Version : Way Over 40 #14

Lizziepie
04-19-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi everyone: I havae been absent for a long time it seems. I don't know where the time goes to. I have been reading and just not taking the time to write.

Candice: Barring any complications the new method of gall bladder removal is very simple. A friend of mine had it and she was back to work within a week. Of course some restrictions like no heavy lifting, etc. Sorry to hear about your SIL. There sure is a big difference between 6 months and 6 years. If she is a fighter I bet she will fool them all with their dire predictions.

Siwa: Bet your tulips are pretty. I do miss spring flowers here. We can't have tulips and daffodils, etc, since they need dormant periods and of course we don't have that. I am happy to report the the so-called apapearing dead stick has now grown into a real little tree. The man at the Nursery where we bought the crepe Myrtle said it might bloom this summer. i sure hope so. That would be great.

Welcome to our Toronto-ish new member. Now that I am here on the new thread I have to confess I have forgotten your name. But glad to hear that you are walking and doing all sorts of exercises to keep in shape. I have an AFS daughter in Norway who has M.S. She exercises as much as she can. Do you have WW chapters around you? That would be a great way to get started on a formal weight loss program and they would be able to give you hints on what sorts of foods are available for you. In a cosmopolitan city like Toronto, you ought to have lots of choices available. Also the South Beach Diet is a very good program. And I know all of the foods that are a part of Phase 1 and Phase 2 are readily available in most stores. Send me a message on 3Fat Chicks, and I'll be glad to email you.

Okay- Where are you Berniece, Kate, Alice, Barb. I know you haven't fallen off the planet, any more than I did. So please keep in touch.

I have been bike riding with a friend, and we rode 5 miles tonight. Also been going to curves and walking most every morning. I wasn't doing very well last week, as i had a miserable spring cold. Now I just have the cold sore as a reminder of the darn thing.

I'm going to try to get back to the board more often. 'See' you, Ann

Lizziepie
04-19-2005, 07:54 PM
P.S. I went back to find your name Kacey, but now of course I'm not sure if I am spelling it right. But hope you'll forgive me. I am struggling to keep off the weight I lost after being in the hospital for 10 days last fall with major surgery. And havae struggles with my weight for most of my life. So, as I say send me a message through the 3 Fat chicks and maybe we can chat via email. I used to live just across the border, being the St. Lawrence River, in Clayton New York, before we moved to Florida, so I do have a little familiarity with some Canadian products. Ann.

Candicej
04-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Hi Lizzie...thanks for the new thread! I thought maybe all of you gals fell off the wagon for sure! ;) Glad your cold is better....

Siwa.....Lilacs are blooming now.....bought some more flowers but a cold front went through and I can't plalt yet!

Surgical consult is May 2nd.....I gotta get yard stuff done, mulching, weeding, tilling, plalting...oh so much to do....and I will not beable to sit still after surgery if I feel good! Hope I do not gain anything.......,maybe I can just walk if my hips will take it.

SIL had bone surgery but we do not how she is doing yet.......

ageoldie
04-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi Gang, Just dropping in to say hi. Everything is still going really badly for us, and I haven't been in the mood to eat healthy or to keep up with my cyberfriends, but I did want to check in and let you know that, no I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, but sometimes I'm wishing I could.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately too (keeps me from worring about things I can't do anything about) and have just recently re-discovered James Patterson, I just finished the 3rd of the Women's Murder Club books. Somehow I'm drawn to books with a female heroine. Okay I know all heroines are females, but maybe I should say female leading character,

I'll try to check in more oftern, and CJ hope your surgery goes well.

Siwaoasis
04-26-2005, 12:00 PM
CANDICE--That same cold snap was and is still here too. I'd rather have it be in the 50's in april than in the 80's which it was. I picked 24 tulips from the cutting garden and they look so lovely in the kitchen. I have some cream colored ones that have a great fragrance. They are in a vase with the pink ones and the pure white ones are with the red ones. I just love this growing season when I have the house full of flowers. The garden is coming along nicely with green poking up every where. My lilacs have a long way to go til bloom. Have buds but this cold weather will slow them down. Also have buds on azaleas and rhododendrons.

I've been busy painting a bathroom. 2 coats of beige on ceiling, two coats of moss green on walls and one coat creamy white on the old ugly brown vanity. Just another coat on the vanity and I'm done!! Seems like it's taking forever. We're puting in a new sink/vanity top and new lighting so it will look like a new room. It sure is difficult to paint in a bath--esp around and behind the toilet. This is a small bath but it took me 4+ hours to do the cutting in cuz there are so many things to cut around. Then only 1 hour to paint w/the roller. The vanity is oil based paint and that goes on so smoothly but the CLEAN UP!! Yuk!

That's pretty much my life these days--Italian class, homework and painting. Next is the guest bedroom. Will it ever end?

Candicej
04-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Hi Barb and Siwa..helped Dh mow this week and been in the yard alot..trying to get a hold on weeds and grass gowing in with the flowers..not a good thing at all!...gonna rain the rest of this week but I can still mulch in the rain......but it is the cold that bothers me! I had a bouqet of peach tulips with my plum tree blossoms earlier so pretty..Siwa I bet your house looks and smells faboulous with fresh flowers!

Candicej
05-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Almost got my big irsis and plum tree bed done....did some transplanting too...really hurting in my hips and knees...maybe because I was on the cold ground on my knees!

Rabbits a real problem..eating everything..everywhere!!!!!

Siwaoasis
05-01-2005, 10:02 AM
I haven't been in the garden at all lately. It's too cold outside and besides I'm still painting. Now I'm painting the doors and drawers of the vanity. The new counter/sink is in and looks good. I'm happy w/the paint job and colors too. I'm trying to get that job done and do other things (some of them fun) at the same time. Growing things are kind of at a stand still due to the colder than norm temps but that's OK w/me. Rabbits don't appear to have done much damage this year. Perhaps when the cats got 4 bunnies last year it was a good thing. Hope to keep the deer at bay agin this yr too.

April was a busy month with many activities--mostly Red Hat. I'll have to remember to not schedule myself so fully in May and the coming months. Events sound like fun so I just say "yes" and forget how many until I look at the calendar and realize I've left no time for doing anything at home. Have to get into hig gear to finish the guest room before guests arrive the end of June.

Italian class is still going well and still enjoying it. I feel like I'm really learning and at a quick rate. 4 students from Ital I did not register for Ital II and they were the slower ones so we're moving at a better pace now.

Everyone must be either VERY busy or bored with this site cuz we've sure cut down the number of us who post lately.

Hi Candice, Barb and Ann.

Candicej
05-03-2005, 03:37 AM
Siwa..I bet your bathroom looks really nice...wish I could do some apintingf around here....my sons old room is the worst. (but I have it filled wioth boxes of stuff with no where else to put them.) He might bring a fridn home this summer and we ahve nowhere for them to sleep! (since I am up allnight in the livingroom with the TV on). I had to put all my pots in the garage..chance of a freeze..moved all my pansies too! I think I wil put artificial out next year! LOL

I am scheduled for surgery the 19th..... that (9:30AM appointment about killed me..I need sleep...worked in the yard for 6 hours straight with out food (forgot to eat) Saturday and my hips and knees are bad........trying to get yard stuff done before the gallbladder comes out.....and I had the car loaded down with bags of mulch and groceries and it was dark when I got home and I missed the driveway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!! Hit the metal culvert and cracked the front of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a 1000 deductible.. and DH is not happy with me! (at least I didn't get hurt!) Ha! see why I do not drive when I am tired! Also.... I thought he was already home from work and inside at 8:45 PM.... but he was still in his car messing around ....so when I saw the car light on and someone moving around while I was turning in the drive I got distracted and thought someone was breaking into his car! (so I missed the drive!!!!!!!!!!) Thank goodness I was going very very very slow as to not dump my groceries all over the back seat!...........Woe is me! Ha! We got it out of the ditch without help......but the poor car......oh well another 1000 down the drain!

Lizziepie
05-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Oh Candice: Sorry about the car, but that can be fixed. I'm glad you weren't hurt. I think we must all be too busy or something, not to post very often. We have been missing the other Florida girls, and Barb & Kate. Where are you?
Are you having the laporascopic gallbladder surgery? And I can't imagine forgetting to eat. that is my whole difficulty. I like to eat too well, and then I have to get back to the WW again. Why can't I just learn.

Siwa: Your bathroom project sound like fun and it is nice to have a 'new' room. I do like to paint. My DD is coming down in July and I imagine we will have a painting project or two when she gets here. She is the decorator. Loves to do it, and has good ideas.

Hi everyone. Bernice= are you now back in Jersey, or are you making Fl. your permanent home? Hope to hear from you all. Ann

Candicej
05-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Lizzie..tell your DD to stop by here too I could use a good decorator!:)

Got some of that rabbit scoot stuff....capsaisin (hot pepper spray) to keep the bunnies from munching,they have eaten about all my new blooms!!!!!!!! hope it works. Off to the nursery down the road today...................afer I get some sleep! :dz:

ageoldie
05-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Candice, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you wait for your surgery date. I'm so jealous of the big Iris bed. I love Iris and used to have a special bed that I had bought special iris' for, but somehow it ended up gone. I've started a new one and this was the first year I had blooms, hopefully next year I'll have more.

Siwa: The Red Hat thing seems to be taking over the country. Everywhere I go I see the red and purple!!!

Ann: I think of you quite often, but unfortunately I don't show it. Hope your health and that of your husband are still doing okay.

Anyone heard from Alice of Katey lately? As if I had room to talk!!!

Take care

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/new%20siggys/BARB.gif

Lizziepie
05-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Are we all too busy with spring cleaning to say 'HI' . It seems that the days just fly by. What ishappening with you all?
Candice: Do you have a surgery date?
Barb: How is business?
Siwa: Are you still enjoying Curves and your Red hat Ladies?
Kate: No more snowdays. Read anything good lately?
Alice: Are you still enjoying Fl. I bet your traffic is thinning out now, like ours.
Berneice: Are you back in Jersey?
We are both doing well. DH has his next iron infusion on Monday.
Weight -wise I need motivation. :D: Ann

Siwaoasis
05-11-2005, 01:36 PM
I've been busy painting. Just finished one bath. I painted ceiling, walls and vanity. That was the last ugly vanity in the house. They were an ugly reddish brown from the 60's. Have wanted them all gone but put off doing the last one til now. I enjoy painting w/oil base paint but the location of a vanity in a small bath makes some parts difficult to paint nicely. Now it's either on to the main bath or the guest room. Looks like I'll be painting for a while yet. Picked 13 pink tulips yesterday and they are cheering the kitchen (and me). Lilacs in the neighborhood have begun to bloom but I must have late ones cuz they are still tight buds. Other things are blooming now--it's truly spring!

I'm still goint to Curves daily--3 1/2 years! It's so routine now that it doesn't feel like a real day if I ever miss a day, which I rarely do. Red hat activities all the time. If I didn't have a husband and a house I'd be going to everything and I'd be busy almost daily. They are fun activities too. Our group is working on a scrapbook and I'm involved in that. Tomorrow is maraton scrapbook day. 9-3. We're trying to get the project done and not drag it out. We have 3 years of photos to scrap.

Wt wise I didn't feel like I was doing well cuz it's coming off so slowly but..........when I added it all up it turned out to be -20# so that sounds good. It has taken 5 months to lose it tho.

CANDICE--I'll be thinking of you on the 19th. Try to think about a speedy recovery and it may help. Keep a positive attitude.

Hi to all others.

Lizziepie
05-17-2005, 07:48 PM
I'd be happy to lose 20#. Guess it is just a continual struggle. Hope the painting is coming along fine.

Candice: I guess Thursday is your surgery day. Hope all goes well. You will probably feel much better, once you are all healed and recuperated.

Hi to everyone else - Kate, Alice, Berneice, Barb

Keep well and losing.:D:. Ann

Candicej
05-22-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm ok .....surgery went fine but I am still not able to eat alot and very very sore..even hurts to breathe and I can't even lay down due to the pain..been using the recliner........gotta go rest...........I knew the Fibro would make the pain worse but didn't think it would be like this...........Probably be a dew weeks for me to start feeling normal...been trying to move around alot and have been outside a few times but get carried away and trying not too over do! Move like a turtle! LOL Rabbits still eating everytring, now they are working on my lettuce!

Lizziepie
05-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi Candice: I"m so glad to hear that your surgery went well. I guess not being able to eat is one way to lose weight, but from my past experience with my surgery, it all came right back on after i began to feel better. That is why i have finally gone back to WW. I just need the motivation to stick with it and get back to my goal weight. Hang in there and donn't overdo, and you'll soon be fine. Ann

Lizziepie
05-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Where is everyone? Are we becomeing a dying thread? Ann

Siwaoasis
05-26-2005, 10:33 PM
It appears so, Ann.

I've been busy and not so busy these days. Finished 2 baths and DH working on the woodwork in the guest room. Did my first planting today since we've had cold and rainly weather. Today was sunny and 72 so just right for planting. I planned to go out again after dinner and just as I did it began to rain. I'm not inspired to work in the garden this year. Don't know why.

5 of us in Italian class have asked the teacher to continue so she will teach 8 more weeks in her house.

I've been seeing a physical therapist for back pain. It has done some good cuz now the pain is confined to just my back and doesn't shoot down my leg or into my foot. Just as that seems to be on the mend my "good" knee is swollen and achy. Am I 95 yr already! No, I just feel like I am.

At my weigh in today I was exactly the same wt (down to the 10th of a lb) as I was lasst week and there was NO cheating either. Next week I expect to see the results of this week! Instead of being discouraged I'm focusing on how disciplined I was all week and will continue to be so this week.

CANDICE--How is the recovery going? Is the garden managing without you?

Candicej
05-27-2005, 04:18 AM
I can finnaly lay down now and climb the stairs to my own bed! Still alot of abdominal pain so can't do all my Fibro stretches, yoga, pilates and stuff......post op appt said all was fine and I did really well for a Fibro person..whatever that means....I hope I have not over done..been in the yard about everyday watering and doing something......no rain here at all......didn't plan on that! The really bad pain lasted about 4 days..and then nausea set in...not sure why..gone now. He said it would be about 6 weeks to full healing....he was running late so he rushed me and I forgot to ask lot of questions. Like when do the surgical strips come off and when can I take a bath instead of a shower and when can I dirve and etc so the nurse will call in the morn. I still was not prepared for all this pain since everyone said it would be a snap!!!!!!!!! I do not like having to be careful not to over do! I just do not want my Fibro to flare because I can't do my exercise! I have to be acitve or I get bad............

siwa..glad the back is doing better.....maybe taht is why you are not into the gardening mode?

Lizzie...I'm down 2.5 and I was really op before and have been keeping track of steps and pts the whole time....I even wore my pedomter to the hospital! I'm sure I will gain some of it back but it would be nice if stayed off since that is what I was trying to lose!

Lizziepie
05-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi Candice and Siwa:
Candice so glad to hear you are recovering nicely. those peri strips will fall off by themselves. At least that is what I was told, and they did, little by little. So it is shower until they are gone. by that time you will be pretty much healed. Did you have a large incision, ot the small one for the laparoscopic surgery? Your body will tell you what you can and can't do that is for sure.

Siwa: You sound very busy. Probably you need to take it a bit easier for the knee and back. Ladder work and garden work are hard on those areas. We were supposed to have our weigh in yesterday a.m. but all of us had so many things to do that we are going tomorrow a.m. Then we will get back to the Thur. schedule. I hope I havae lost something. See you all later. Ann

Candicej
05-30-2005, 03:31 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Lizzie...nothing like a loss to keep you motivated! I had the small incisions but they still hurt!

I need your help again....you gals have such good advice. We have a wedding coming up, DH's nephew and they are having big fancy wedding with a sit down meal. They both have rather high taste.......now what is the going rate for a gift and do you have to send a shower gift if you are not attending the shower????? DH will be going to the wedding but I will not, and maybe my son might be and what does he do for a gift? Neither one of my boys can afford much right now with school and no jobs. My MIL says we have to spend enough on the gift to cover their cost for the meal and wedding....I do not agree with this...so help me out please with the proper wedding gift etiquett. Thanks

Candicej
06-03-2005, 02:51 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/796538/pansieschives.jpg

Have a great day!

Lizziepie
06-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Good Morning:
Candice: I don't know exactly what the 'proper' etiquette' is about wedding gifts, but I have always just tried to find something that I thought the couple would really like, and that would be useful, not some 'pie-in the sky' sort of gift that will sit on a shelf forever. As to the shower gift, I think that is entirely up to you. If you were invited and cannot attend, I think you are not obligated to send a gift, but if you choose to, fine. As for your DS how about a nice set of towels, or a pair of beach towels. Those are always good to have, or the bath sheets. They are not'chintzy' gifts but they are not too costly either. And I have always been of the opinion that if the wedding invitations are sent only to receive gifts then something is wrong. So if your DS can't afford to do anything, give them a nice card, and just being there is a support for his cousin. Don't know if this is any useful advice or not, but that is sort of how I do things. I don't think that there is any requirement for the cost of a gift to be a pay back for the meal at the reception. Good luck with your decision. Ann
p.s. Love your flowers.

Candicej
06-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Thanks Lizzie...I'm still not sure what I am doing....he is registered for tols at Sears so we got a gift from our boys there. I stillahve to decide for me..I still would like to do the cookie sheet, silpat and scoops but not sure it would be appreciated...you know me and my cookies! :) I told DH that his mother was way out of line telling how much to spend...and then she went and bought some shirts for DH's dad for his BD and father's day and charged him way too much for them...she buys evrything on sale and couldn't remember how much she paid. Well I buy the same shirts for DH and they do not cost what he paid her....made me furious! We do not spend that amount on his dad......

I am watering like crazy...no rain here at all! Enjoying my garden lettuce.....

muffinsmom
06-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Hi everyone, Haven't had access to a computer for ages so haven't kept up with you girls. Hope all is well. We came back from Fl after going to a 3 day wedding in Boca and it was hot and humid so I couldn't wait to come home. We were in Fl 6 months this time loving every minute of it. Hot in NJ as well and we have been home a week running to Drs appt getting caught up. Have bursitis in my left knee and now on cortisone as I can barely walk. Received my first social security payment and was giddy about it.
Alice-sorry I didn't get back to you but we had company all winter or my hubby kept us very busy doing shows and exibitions. I apologize.
Ann, hope all is well and you are feeling great.
Candice- wishing you a speedy recovery.
To all the rest of you a big Hello! Bernice

Siwaoasis
06-09-2005, 12:16 AM
BERNICE--Is it a cooincidence or double bad luck?--I was just diagnosed w/rt knee bursitis on Monday. I'm not as bad off as you sound tho. My knee is still swollen but no problem walking. Glad to hear you had a great winter.

CANDICE--Hope you're continuing to improve from the surgery.

We had some excitmement here very early this a.m. During a storm a neighbor's tree went down and took power lines with it. Then something in the neighbor's back yard was on fire--not just once but 2ce--2 hours apart, beginning at 3:45 am. I couldn't get back to sleep after that and I can't believe I'm still awake. 4 hours of sleep just isn't enuf but here I am sitting at the computer. When we saw the flames so high and the wind still blowing we were fearful for the neighbor's next door--afraid the flames would jump to the house. Since the power was out we couldn't tell who was awake and aware of the situation so I went running next door in my gown and pounded on their door. They were up and watching the flames. It was also raining and boy! was I soaked after just running a short distance. Everyone is ok and all but 2 houses have electriciity again. We were out for 17 hours but the other 2 houses don't even have power lines running to their houses. The next door neighbor's DH had to go out of town at 6am and she was left at home w/3 kids under 5--one of them a 3 week old. It was a frightening experience dealing with fire. Luckily all 3 kids slept thru it all and never knew until today. I don't need excitement like that again. Looking forward to a dull day tomorrow.

Lizziepie
06-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Sorry to hear that you gals are having knee trouble. Sure hope you improve soon and will find walking easier and painless.

Siwa: A scary way to wake up in the night. Hope you do have a peaceful day tomorrow. We have had buckets of rain today. The downspouts could hardly take it away.

Bernice: It is good to hear from you. I am doing well, back to my old self and busy most of the time. DH is still having iron infusions and B12 shots. We don't know how long that will continue.

Candice: Hope you are now more recuperated from your surgery. Have you had any rain? We'd be happy to send you some. We have turned off the sprinkler system since the lawn is getting lots of heavenly rain.

I am excited about our crepe myrtle tree. When we planted it it looked like a dead stick. Now it has grown a lot, and it has flower buds pm the tips of every branch. I can hardly wait for it to bloom. I think it will be very pretty.

Hi Alice and Kate. What is going on with you two. Or have you given up on us. Ann

muffinsmom
06-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi, Still hot and disgustingly humid in NJ. On Cortisone for the knee and it still hurts like H-ll. Going for PT on Friday, hope it helps. New problem arose,see spots in my right eye, went to the retinologist and being watched for a detached retina. Aging certainly has its disadvantages. My son is finally engaged and will be married Nov 20th. His fiance is a sweetheart. We are happy. got to get serious about the diet. Our supermarket is having a sale of lobsters 3 to 6 lbs for 5.99 a lb. Guess what we are having for dinner. Listen at our age why not treat ourselves abit. :lol: Got to go. Hope everyone is keeping cool. Bernice

Lizziepie
06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Oh Bernice: Lobster is not only a treat, but very good for the diet plan. Congratulations on soon having a new daughter-in-law. Glad you like her. That always makes for happy relationships. I am back at WW and so far have lost 41/2 lbs. It is such a struggle and I don't lose quickly. Especially the older I get. :D: I do like the flex plan as it seems to be easier to follow and there is a bit of leeway.

Hope you don't have problems with the eye. Laser treatments I guess would be in order if you do haave a detached retina. Have you had a cortisone shot in the knee? or taking pills ? We are hot and humid here, and certainly have had our share of rain. A 30% chance of showers today in the late afternoon. I guess they don't call it the 'rainy season' for no reason. Take care.

Hi everyone. Ann

muffinsmom
06-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Ann, I'm on pills and everyday the dose is different, if I didn't chart it I would be so mixed up by now and not taking it properly. Tonite I think I feel a slight difference in my knee. I love the ads that say the minor pain of arthritis or bursitis. Nothing minor about this pain, I just can't walk but refuse to use the electric cart in the supermarket. We shared the 3 lb lobster tonite and saved the other one for tomorrow, Yummy! Taking Aleve for the pain is making me nauseous so I try to take it only when I can't stand the discomfort. Hope the physical therapy will make a differense.Nothing to watch on TV tonite as its all about Michael Jackson's aquital. Good Night.

Siwaoasis
06-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Is 6-13 really the last post for us or am I missing something?

I've been busy with guests for the last 10 days so no time to post. When I discover if this is the "real" place to post then I'll write something.

Lizziepie
06-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Siwa: This is the real place to post, but I have just sort of given up. Everyone was so busy that no one was posting at all. So I didn't either. Maybe we can get something going again? Ann

Siwaoasis
06-30-2005, 08:24 AM
It has been a busy summer so far and that's making the summer go so quickly and I don't like that. We painted 3 rooms and then our visitors came. My second cousin once removed and her husband from Sweden stayed w/us for 10 days. They just left on Tues. It was their 1st trip to the US and they were thrilled. They were on a bus tour for the 1st 10 days touring NYC, DC, Philly, Niagra Falls, Chicago then they flew to Minneapolis. While here we went to a fam reunion that we had organized for her. We had about 100 people and she was overjoyed to meet so many. Her English had some stumbling blocks and when the 2 of us talked she often used a dictionary but the day of the reunion she went the entire day w/o a dictionary. Her Eng improved after those 10 days in MN. It was a little boring for me to sit w/them all the time but I wanted to do it to make their time here enjoyable. My Swedish improved too. She is a VERY lively person and quite likeable. Her husb didn't speak much Eng at all but when I asked if he were bored he said no.

Now they're gone and my house is nearly completed. Just one room left and some carpeting to replace. Who knows when that will get done. I was glad to have the guest's arrival in order to spur us on to finish those rooms. After all, we've lived her for 11 yrs now. We've had hot HUMID weather lately and the garden is loving it. No tomatoes yet but there are signs of them.

ANN--You often have guests--how much do you do w/them while they're w/you? I felt like I had to be w/them every second with the exception of one day when they went shopping by themselves for 5 hours.

ageoldie
07-02-2005, 08:12 PM
I haven't been around, but life has not been good for me this year. Our business has gone from bad to worse and we are hanging on by our toenail. I have made the decision to go back to work, and job hunting at age 58 is not a fun thing to do.

Diet has been non-existant, and I've even gotten lax in the exercise department, so it seem foolish to visit a weightloss site. Except I miss my friends.

I'll try to check back in more often and maybe if I find a job things will get easier for us and I won't be in the conststant stress that has been following me around.

Have a great July 4th

Barbg

Lizziepie
07-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Siwa: to answer your question about what we do when we have guests: Now we mostly act like a hotel/motel for them, if they want to do a lot of the attractions. We have done all of them and actually don't care about going any more except for occaisionally to Sea World. That is my favorite.

We sometimes have a meal together, but that seems to be the way it goes, until they are ready to spend a day or two here and use the pool, or shop or something like that. Then I go with them, but DH does not.

Barb: Sorry things have not been going well for you. I hope that things may pick up. I hope you will continue to drop in, no matter what.

Candice: how are you doing?

Bernice: and how about you? Enjoying a nice summer. Is it warming up any? We are finally getting some sunshine, without so much rain, and now they are talking about 'Dennis'. He just has to leave Florida alone.

We had a nice Independence Day celebration here. Good food, and good company, and good entertainment. I acted as chairperson, and was delighted that all went well, but I was a 'pooped puppy' when I got home.

Hope you all had nice family 4ths. Watched the Capital 4th from Washington D.C. It was a fun show, but I missed their fireworks display as i headed for bed.

We had one set of kids and grandkids this weekend, leaving on the 4th and now next week will have another set. it is kind of fun to have them come and visit us, instead of us driving so far to visit them.

Have a great week. Ann

muffinsmom
07-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi I thought after my post everyone disappeared. Terrible the news out of London but I'm not surprised. Those muslim extremist target innocent people on subways and buses by blowing themselves up. This is the kind of fanatisism Israel has to deal with on an on going basis. Such cowards these people are, can't imagine such hate and animosity toward democracy. Makes you wonder if they hate all of us so much why are they infiltrating every country unless it's to destroy our way of life. What kind of world are we leaving to our kids.
Barb, I am sorry that things are not going well. These are tough times when you are in your own business. I wish I had proper words of encouragement.
The weather had not been great in NJ.Gray skies and lots of humidity. I know Fl has had lots of rain, the pool guy called and said he had to reduce the water 3 times.
Siwa, When I have had company I make breakfast and maybe one dinner but it's up to them to entertain themselves. Other meals like dinner we go out for. Maybe if I had guest from Europe who had never been here before I would feel I have to spend more time with them.
Finally took down the crib as Eric is now almost 4 and when he stays overnite he sleeps in a bed. Sad that there won't be more grandkids. My son who got engaged in Feb just broke it up and altho I liked the girl alot I never thought they were right for one another so I'm sad for the mess that their
in but happy it won't lead to a divorce.
A big hello to you Ann. Hope all is well! Bernice

ageoldie
07-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Berniece, It's hard to believe baby Eric is 4 years old, but then my little Nathan is 7 now. Time does fly doesn't it.

Just a little update on my life. I have jury duty on Monday, and when it is over I will start working at my "old" job again. The Arthritis Center just happened to have the girl doing my former job quit and I am going back. After 4 years a lot of things have changed, but a lot are still the same. In a way it will be good to be back in the working world again, but in other ways it will not.

The good points are that it is close to home and just down the street from the health club, so I can still go work out and exercise of a morning before I go to work, and I will be getting an actual PAYCHECK!!! haven't seen one of those in a while!!!

So with a new job, I'm making a new committment to get my life back together and start eating healthy again, and at least watching my weight. The thing I blame most from my bad eating is that we go out to lunch everyday and eat too much!!! So I will be where I can take my lunch and eat healthy food at lunch.

Well, I'm out of time, so I'll end now.

Take care

Barbg

Lizziepie
07-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi everyone: Nice to know that you are all still around. We just got back from 2 1/2 days up at Daytona Beach. and can you believe it, I was so busy that i didn't have a chance to go get my feet wet on the beach. A bit frustrating. :mad: But the conference was very good, and I got a lot of good ideas and music for choir and the future.

Candice: I couldn't access your kitten photos. don't know what I was doing wrong. I have a friend up north who has two huge cats, and their names are Fred and Willie. They are beautiful pets. We have considered getting a cat, but then keep thinking about having to care for it if we go away on any extended vacation, so, so far we haven't broken down to get one.

Bernice: Hard to believe that Eric is no longer a baby. He would probably be insulted if anyone called him 'baby Eric' now. I'm sure he figures he is a 'big boy'. I agree, that I can't understand the mentality of those people who like to terrorize people, and even blow themselves up. It has to be wild fanatics, who can see no other point of view. And I think you are right about their desire to destroy our way of life. Anyone who disagrees are the infidels, and if I understand things at all, that is what the Jihad is for - destruction of non-believers. What really gets my 'goat' is that our immigration services just let them keep coming into the country. And if they don't get in legally, then they sneak in. I was reading in the paper this week, about illegal aliens coming across the borders in Texas and Arizona, and there are so many that they have no place to house them and it takes so much time to get papers to return them, that they let them go with some sort of a letter stating this, and they of course are supposed to keep in touch and they just melt into the country. :spin:
Ridiculous.

Barb: Glad to hear that you are sounding more like yourself. It sounds as if you have things pretty well 'scoped' out now and with the healthy eating and all. I wasn't on plan at all while we were away, so have to get back in step now once again.

See you all later. Ann

muffinsmom
07-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Can it be that Ann's was the last post on the 7th? Where has everyone been.? Weather in NJ has been hot and HUMID with scattered thrunderstorms.
Have been going to physical therapy and can't believe the difference in my knee. No pain and I actually can walk. Have been doing 10 minutes on the stationary bike and need to do more muscle strengthning exercise. My daughter joined Curves so I have a free one week guest pass to try it out.
Have a wood chuck who is doing a job on my tomato plant so we fenced it in and it's so funny watching the little bugger stand up against the fence trying to figure out how to get in. We will have to se a Hav a heart trap and relocate him.
My daughter and family are moving in next week because they are sanding the floors in their house. Expect I'll be ready for the loony bin at the end of the stay. 2 big
Boxers are coming with them.

ageoldie
07-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Well, I made it throught my first week of my new job. It was suprising how much I still remembered. It all came back pretty easily, but of course since I haven't been doing it everyday for the past four years, it will take a while to get completely up to speed.

I did do better on the food front, but I couldn't seem to get up the steam to do any exercising. But next week I am planning to go every morning.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/new%20siggys/Barbara_SpotOfTea-vi2.jpg

Lizziepie
07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi All:
Barb: I'm glad to hear you survived. Each week will get easier.

I Have been busy the last couple of weeks with company, actually family, but you still have to entertain, and cook and all that stuff.

Bernice: Hope you make out okay with the two big boxers. I can handle family okay, but I think I can understand why you are a bit concerned about the 'loony bin'.

I hope all is well with everyone. My kids left this a.m. and now it is getting all the laundry caught up, etc. Life will get back to normal soon, I know. I will miss them. Hadn't seen this Granddaughter for several years for any length of time. She just graduated from college this spring, and now will be going in to the world of employment. We did have a good time.

Off to the pool before it rains. See you all again soon. Ann

Siwaoasis
07-29-2005, 12:42 AM
This has been an unbelievably busy summer!! I feel like I've hardly been home. The latest thing is that I've been spending many hours for the last 3 days visiting my mom in the hosp. She had her 2nd knee replacement. Things are going well but I'm hardly ever home. Just 2 more days of hospitalization and then recovery at home. I don't know how much I'll be needed then but the drive will be much longer. I live on the south side of town and the hosp is 20 mins away. Mom's house is a good 45 mins away across town so rush hour would be a problem.

I'm hoping that August will be a MUCH quieter month. I'd like a few days when I have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do. The good news is that people are beginning to notice my wt loss and that feels good. Sorry I haven't kept up w/everyone but hope to begin to soon.

Candicej
08-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Sounds lke you all have been busy.....me too....the new kittens we have are taking alot of my time and all the watering, the garden is producing now..yum..looking for a new computer too....this one sucks!:)

Lizziepie
08-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi everyone: I think we are all busy, since this thread is laking along time to fill up. We have been having some really loud thunderstorms and the power keeps going off. So the computer has been shut off a lot.

DH and I went to Seaworld yesterday for a few hours. It was very hot, but the places we went to were airconditioned. So it wasn't too bad.

Siwa: Hope your Mom is doing better. Once she is all healed and has her PT she will be better than ever. We have a neighbor across the street who has had a hip and a knee replaced, and he does really well. Nothing keeps him down, and I know his wife has at least a kitten or two when he climbs up a ladder.

Candice: Your kittens sound like work and fun. We adopted a stray that surely had been someones pet, as she has been spayed. She is all gray and has a coat like a Siamese, just like velvet. I am trying to get her to be a bit more affectionate, but we will only have had her 2 weeks tomorrow, so I have to give her time.

Bernice: How is your summer going? 'See' you all later. Ann

Candicej
08-22-2005, 04:24 AM
Hello.....still do not have a new computer, son brought his home but it is not hooked up and not sure it would be much better, same brand....it sucks:( but has windows xp instead of the bad melinnium(sp) edtion. I can't sit long either, my lower back, hips and pelvic region have been in terrible pain:eek:...I'm thinking of going to a new Rhemutologist that is near now. Go for mammo this week and to see MIL in hospital, she is having back surgery for the same kind of pain I am having...not sure she needs it but she wants it cause she says she can't live with the pain! The kittens are growing I will post pics later....:) WE got new cells phones and I am having a problem with mine and the online or phone support do not know anything...been trying to figure it out for over a weeks now......Mine is an E815 Motorola...I love it, I can take videos and sent to my son!!!!!

Siwaoasis
01-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't have any e-mails to keep in touch so hoping this will reach someone. Did we just all drop off the face of the earth?

SIWA