Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - MultiVitamin - HELP!

View Full Version : MultiVitamin - HELP!

konstine
04-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Hi Everyone -

I'm about three weeks into my semi-new lifestyle (I took very good care of myself all through high school, but it really slumped off in college..blah). I am eating VERY little refined sugar, lots of protein, lots of veggies, a piece of fruit/day. I do cardio 3-5 x a week, and also lift HEAVVVVY. My goal is to drop body fat, and layer on some muscle - I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs is my goal!

At any rate, this is what I'm taking:

Vitamin A
Potassium
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Calcium
B-Complex
Centrum Weight Management One-A-Day
Women's MEGA Mutlivitamin (from Vitaminworld)

Is it bad to be taking two seperate types of multi vitamins a day?

Also, are there are any vitamins I should add in? I was thinking maybe flax seed oil, but besides that, I'm not sure. Please, critique!

Thanks!!
L

x-posted: Buyer Beware area :)

Suzanne 3FC
04-18-2005, 10:06 PM
You can definitely get too much of a good thing. Some vitamins can be toxic in high quantities. Others are simply discarded (in your urine) if you consume more than your body needs. You probably get all you need from your healthy diet, but one multivitamin can help ensure you get enough.

Vitamine E has been in the news lately, it seems that it isn't what we thought it was, and can even be harmful. I've stopped taking it completely. I'll try to find the news articles and post them shortly.

Flax seed or fish oil are good for you, though you should be careful not to take too much. I take 2 grams of fish oil daily.

You should really take your list (or a bag of all the bottles) to your doctor and have them look it over. They can let you know if you are on track, or if something is wrong and you need to adjust your regime.

kellbee
04-19-2005, 05:14 PM
When it comes to a mulitvitamin, I recommend a two-a-day. One-a-day vitamins provide you with a days worth of supplements in one dose (duh), and your body can't absorb it all at one time. End result--you pee the excess out. If you take a two-a-day, you give your body a constant flow of supplements. I recommend GNC's Womens UltraMega. I've never taken any supplements from vitamin world, but I imagine the it's comparable. When it comes to taking extra supplement, I would be leary. I would only take supplements for those that your multivitamin doesn't provide the 100% daily value. (Often calcium or iron) However, if you are eating a lot vegetables, you probably should only take a multivitamin and maybe some herbal supplements, like Echinacea. I hope this helps.