Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 12:02 AM   #1  

I don't have a specific question to ask, I wouldd really appreciate some feedback from some of the lifetime members who are around. I have just finished my first week as a Lifetime Member, (YAY!!) and am feeling really good about things. I am just wondering how closely other people monitor things. Do most of you journal daily, or just if you feel things are starting to get out of control? Do you weigh in only at the mandatory once monthly time, or more often?
Do you stay for meetings? Do you stay on the program or adapt it to meet your own needs?
After becoming lifetime members, did you become less fixated onn your weight? I feel I am a little too concerned with mine- I don't want to become obsessive about it!
I am just a little unsure of where I am going from here, I know this is a lifestyle change and will be forever, but I am not sure how "strict" I will need to be with myself! I also realize that everyone is different, but any tips or advice would be most welcome! I have learned so much from other WW members, and I feel that the more I know the better chance I have to be happy and healthy!
I know this is going on and on, but I just thought of one more concern! I have heard that reducing your calorie intake is harmful for your metabolism. Am I wrong to assume that the WW program takes this into effect, because I have been reading in different memos that the calorie range that corresponds to the pts ranges are much lower than what your body needs???

[This message has been edited by saskie (edited 02-20-2001).]
Old 02-21-2001, 12:47 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Saskie, Congratulations on attaining your goal!

To answer your questions I continue to journal daily because this keeps me on track. I also attend the weekly meetings and weigh in. I still worry about my weight. I've been a Lifetime member since July 1999 and still worry. Each person is different, I know some members don't attend the weekly meetings and only weigh in once a month. I know that that does not work for me. I have heard on a board before that you should attend weekly meetings after you have reached Lifetime for the same number of weeks it took you to lose weight. Seems like sound advice to me. As a Lifetime member I'm still learning and it's always good to come away from the meetings with more motivation and inspiration as well as being able to give new members starting out some support.

Good luck!

Melissa
161/142/142ww/135 personal
Old 02-21-2001, 07:33 PM   #3  

I have lifetime friends who are able to maintain by just trying to make better choices and weighing in 1 time a month. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way for me. When I quit journaling, the pounds came back and not slowly. I have to do it just as if I were still a newbie. I count points, journal food, exercise, and water, and I weigh in every week.
Old 02-21-2001, 10:15 PM   #4  

Melissa,
Thanks for your input- I plan to keep attending meetings too. Do you ever get bored at the meetings since you have been in WW so long? It's really great to hear success stories like yours!

Marybee,
What sort of a pts range do you stay in to maintain? How long have you been at goal? It would be nice to be one of those people who can just sort of watch what they eat, but I think I will just keep journaling.

My biggest worry is becoming someone who is constantly thinking about food and worrying about their weight!

------------------
~saskie~
start 201/WW 148/present 140/personal goal 130-135
Old 02-22-2001, 01:52 AM   #5  
J0

Hi Saskie and everyone.

I think it's a fine line between constantly worrying about food and weight, and maintaining a vigilance which is critical to remaining at a healthy weight.

I read an article in USA Today last January that stated the only way to keep weight off is by "CRE"--chronic restrained eating. The article explained that obesity is a chronic condition which requires lifelong vigilance. These facts really rang true for me.

I am a lifer, 2 years out. I had been maintaining OK, then loosened up, made cavalier choices, ended up 7 lbs over goal and could easily have gained back the whole 40. Went back to meetings, spent $66.00 for six weeks, now 2 lb under goal.

Constant vigilance--unfortunate but true. But my size 8's and 10's are well worth fighting for. My self-esteem too.

Jo
196/158WW/156-present

[This message has been edited by J0 (edited 02-21-2001).]
Old 02-22-2001, 03:53 AM   #6  

saskie -
I second what Melissa said about trying to go to meetings for as many weeks as it took you to lose the weight. There is a woman at my meeting who reached goal well over a year ago & she faithfully weighs in every week. It keeps her honest & I think there is something to be said for going to a meeting, getting on a scale, & having a person write down your weight - accountability, I guess. No one sees my weight when I'm at home weighing myself - it's too easy to let yourself slide. You have to find what works best for you, though. Some people are just fine weighing in once a month.

I have only been good at losing weight, not maintaining it. I rejoined in Jan 1999 after originally losing 30 pounds back in 1987-88. I never went back to meetings after reaching lifetime the first time & did not keep the weight off. So, this past year I have lost 50 pounds & vowed NEVER to gain it back again. So, to help me, I became the receptionist at my community meeting. It keeps me in line, plus I figure I'm setting an example for the other members, so it's a good kind of pressure for me.

Jo brought up a great point of being able to fit into size 8s & 10s - that is a great motivator for me, too. It helps me to go & try on clothes (even if I'm not really looking) - it is a great boost when I know I can go into a store and try on a size 8 and it usually fits! Shopping for clothes is wonderful now!!

Katie
191.8/142/145WW

[This message has been edited by kt marie (edited 02-21-2001).]
Closed Thread