100 lb. Club - Yadda Yadda Yadda #2

View Full Version : Yadda Yadda Yadda #2

Sandi
04-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Our thread was almost at 50 posts, so I thought I start a new one!!

I spent the weekend doing lots of yard work. We had an open house on Saturday, but no-one showed :(. Oh well, it's early in the season.

Will be intersting to see how I do at WW tonight. I have been moderatly good, so we'll see. I lost 2.6 last week, so it would be nice to see another loss. I know I need to get back in the swing of exercise. I have been having some problems with my legs and would like to have all that resolved before I start back up.

Dawnyal - How is William doing??

Frenchie - Congrats on the job. I know how you feel. If I were smart, I'd be job hunting myself right now. But...I love teh people. And I shouldn't change jobs before we buy our new house.

How is everyone else???

boiaby
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi all, I’ve been away for a bit and just wanted to update. I’ve just spent the last week enjoying a marvelous visit with my mother, whom I hadn’t seen since I decided to start trying to lose weight. Her initial reaction was priceless, with a mouth gaping grin she exclaimed, “you’re so skinny!!” followed by an immediate embrace. :cloud9:

We had a wonderful time, laughing and sharing. Really getting to know each other better than I feel we ever have before. Our views and values are strikingly similar, and we spent much time discussing where we’ve gone wrong (and right) in our lives with the choices we’ve made and the paths we’ve taken. I feel that I was able to quiet her natural motherly concern that she screwed me up in some horrible way by explaining to her my belief that everything I’ve had to face in my life has only been a contributing factor in making me the woman I am today. And that how can we possibly learn from our mistakes unless we are first allowed to make them?

I was also a bit bemused to find myself put in the unfamiliar role of teacher this week. :eek: She apparently intended to observe my new lifestyle in the hopes of picking up a few tricks of the trade because, as she put it, I seem to have this “weight stuff” figured out. :dizzy: Ahh, if she only knew just how much of a mystery all this still is to me! :dunno: But she diligently followed my lead and ate much the same foods I normally eat during the week. I even showed her my little trick with freezing yogurt that turns out so much like ice cream, which she liked enough that she wants to continue doing it once she gets home. :T Truth be told, I was quite relieved that she chose to emulate me because I was somewhat apprehensive about handling what could very well have been a completely off plan week. We did, however, eat dinner out much more than I’m used to, but I was able to make some good, healthy choices and the scale did not seem to punish me for it one bit.
All in all, it was an excellent, eye-opening visit and I’ve come away from it with a solid understanding that my mother truly is my friend. And that she, like me, is still a work in progress, having journeyed through this life doing the best with what she knew, yet constantly striving to learn that much more. My mother really is an amazing woman, and I feel so lucky to have her in my life. My only regret is that we don't live closer, and I am saddened that our time together was so short. :( Hopefully we won't let it be so long until the next visit! :flow2:

Beverly

barbygirl43
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
William is doing okay, I guess. He goes to see his ped this Wednesday. He's getting his zyrtec before bed and a pulmicort breathing treatment nightly. Then 4x a day he's getting an albuterol breathing treatment as well as some doubled up antibiotic. He still feels wheezy to me when you hold him so I don't know if the meds are helping him or not. I'll know more after his appt.

He's getting into everything both my kids fell over the weekend. Mom had her carseat out of her car and was setting on a bench. We told Lilly to get off of it but of course she didn't listen. I turned my back for just a second (was cleaning out the car) and bam, she fell over and scraped her face on the gravel. Luckily she just had a couple of scratches on her face. Then when I ran to town, Mom said William climbed in a chair and fell on the porch and scraped his chin. I have such dare devil kids.

Sandi: good luck at WW tonight. Hopefully you'll have a buyer soon.

Sandi
04-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Bev - How wonderful that you had such a fabulous visit with your mom!!! How funny that we all feel your an expert and you don't!!!!

Hey...how did your makeover go?? Don't you owe us some pictures???

SuchAPrettyFace
04-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Sandi: Good luck @ WW!!!
Bev: I'm glad to hear you had such a good time w/your mom. :D I, too, would like to see the Boiaby makeover pics. :cheers:
Dawnyal: Hope your babies are doing better.

missaprylj
04-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Sandi- Good luck, with everything. Jacob is feeling better?

Bev- That is really, really exciting. You must feel so good, like a few more pieces of the puzzle are in the right spots.

Dawnyal- Sounds like the excitement never ends! :lol: BTW, you look *so* good in your 254lb. picture... a very dramatic difference from 285. Congratulations!

I have been sooo busy. It's that busy, busy, busy time of year for students, I'm telling you. Crazy. My best friend is graduating this year (I have one more year to go) and I'm positively depressed about her being gone next year. We're sort of trying to pretend like it's not happening as it sneaks up. :( Other than that, I've been babysitting, lots of school work, trying to maintain a social life, and going to a lot of church since the pope passed away.

I've decided to run for student body president next year... if I get elected, that should be interesting to say the least. I also want to be president of National Honor Society. Hmm..... I'm seeing some of my future being described as "hectic"...

barbygirl43
04-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Bev: I guess we posted about the same time :). It sounds like your mom's visit was a great one. I've found that the older I get, I consider my mom one of my closests friends and confidantes (sp?). I sure didn't see her as either growing up. How far away does she live from you?

Apryl I would say Hectic describes yoru life now!!! :D I would try not to dwell on the fact that your Best friend is graduating and leaving but instead concentrate on all the good times you are having now.

Sheila53
04-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow, Beverly! You are wise beyond your years. Most people never come to the realizations that you have. You may have lost a lot of weight, but you certainly gained a lot of insight into yourself. I want to see pictures, too!!

Sandi, sorry about your open house. Kind of like throwing a party and no-one shows up. Hope it goes better next time. Are you selling the house yourself? I went through a For Sale By Owner company about three years ago--paid $1500 for their seminar, signs, and online listing plus a 1/2 page ad in their (very popular) real estate booklet. My house sold after a couple of days on the market. I imagine the real estate market has to be prime, though. Good luck at weigh-in, and hope your leg problem eases up.

Dawnyal, little kids are always covered with scratches and scrapes, aren't they? I remember looking at my son's legs when he was about three and undressed in the doctor's office. Both legs were covered with bruises. I was worried that the doctor would think I was abusing him, but the doc said most little kids look like that, and he'd worry more if they didn't.

Apryl, can you get us ballots? We'd vote for you in a heartbeat! President of the student body AND honor society? You like living on the edge, don't you? So how's the driving going, by the way? Sorry about your best friend graduating this year. Well, not sorry she's graduating, of course, but that she's leaving high school the year before you. Are you both going to go to the same college?

We moved into our new (to us, that is) house on Sunday. I've spent the last three weeks scraping wallpaper and painting. It's been really hard. We were hoping to get the new carpet in before we moved, but it didn't happen. So we're living out of a couple of rooms and storing stuff in the garage until the carpetlayers work their magic. We found hardwood floors under the carpet in the dining room, entry, and hallway so we got those refinished. Very pretty! Too bad I can't afford to have the whole house hardwood, although I do like carpeting in the bedroom. After all this work, I plan to stay here forever.

teapotdynamo
04-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Beverly - The story about your visit with your mom was very moving! It sounds like you forged a connection that will last forever. That's really great. It's also great that you were able to teach her some new things about healthier ways to eat/live... I know I'd like to help my mom in this way as well! Also - seconding, thirding, fourthing the makeover pics! I'm such a sucker for a makeover.

Apryl - I'm so impressed with your drive and determination! I know it's hard to lose a best friend to graduation -- two of my closest friends were two years ahead of me. But for me, it was kind of cool because I was able to make my senior year completely my "own" and make some friends I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I hope the same happens for you!

Sheila - That's great that you've moved into your new place. It really is so much work, but the great thing is that it's yours, all yours! :) And hey, wallpapering has to be good exercise, right?

Dawnyal - Agreed on that latest pic - you're lookin' fantastic, girl!

Hope you're all doing well. It's sunny but a little chilly here today. My allergies were driving me nuts when I woke up this morning, so I didn't make it to the gym. I'm hoping to go in an hour or so at lunchtime!

boiaby
04-13-2005, 02:42 PM
First of all, Apryl, you've got my vote for class president! I think you would be excellent at it and I really hope you go for it.

As for new pics, I promise they are coming! Along with a little recount of my lovely day at the spa. They won't be too drastic because I didn't end up with a real dramatic change, but it was fun getting girly nonetheless!

Beverly

howie6267
04-13-2005, 03:05 PM
That's great about the visit with you mom Beverly. My Mom and I have always shared a great relationship. It was me and my dad that struggled. He passed away in 1999 but a year or two before he died I wrote him a letter forgiving him for all the things he did not do because of his drinking problem. We had a lot better relationship after that and I was so glad that I wrote that letter. When he passed away I found it in his room he had it laminated and saved it. Made me really glad when I found it. I would have hated to lose him without letting him know that I loved him.

SuchAPrettyFace
04-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Awwww, Howie. :)

Aprylbaby, I think you'd make a GREAT class president!

Sheila, sounds like as soon as the carpet's in, you can relax & enjoy your new home. :)

As for me, it looks like the FDA has approved the second stage of the study of the effect of Tolvaptan on polycystic kidneys!!!! :D :D :D We are that much closer to a cure & I would go on the meds in June. I would be on them for the next 3 years, checking in w/my kidney doc every 6 months after the initial. I might have to go off my b/c & ACE inhibitor + HCTZ, but I feel it's a small sacrifice. This will get me in the gym daily, knowing I don't have my diuretic to keep puffiness to a minimum. Very happy SPF. :dance:

I'm also attending the PKD Foundation's annual conference June 24-26 in Anaheim, paid for w/my tax returns. I barely pulled in 15K last year so I get almost all of it back. This means a new mattress & box spring, too. No cracks about mileage, please. :lol:

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

Jillegal
04-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Well Dawnyal, is it any wonder your kids are daredevils? I'm thinking it may be inherited...aren't you the one who told us you've bungee jumped more than once (and, if I remember correctly, streaked a few times?) ;)

Apryl my dear, I think you'd be an absolutely wonderful student body president and I'm sure you'll make the most eloquent campaign speeches that school has ever known! :smug:

I know its exhausting work Sheila, but how nice you've found the home you plan to stay in forever and have the energy and ability to to whip it into shape yourself. Do you think you could have stood all that hard work when you were carrying that extra 75 or so pounds? :D

Howie, its a bit early in the day for you to have me tearing up! What a lovely little story about your relationship with your dad... :^:

Aimee! What wonderful news on the medical front. It all sounds so hopeful and I'm so happy for you. As for the boxspring and mattress, don't skimp on price. Its so important to have firmness in a bed. :devil:

barbygirl43
04-14-2005, 02:30 PM
William is doing lots better. Yeah!!! We saw his regular ped yesterday and he thinks that william didn't have pneumonia in the first place that it was just his asthma acting up. At least this time he gave me a better plan of attack for when it strikes again rather than the vague "just give him the albuterol and wean him off it." He set him up another appt. 3 days before his surgery and he'll sign off for him to have it at that time.

Chris starts baseball tonight and this is his first time ever to play. It should be interesting as the MIL is having to bring him over and she and I still aren't getting along. GMIL is having fluid drained from her heart today. This is the 2nd or 3rd time she's had congestive heart failure since I've known her. I'm not going to let it stress me out this time.

I bougth the body for life book yesterday and so far I'm really liking what I'm reading. I hope to be able to finish the book up this weekend and start the 12 week challenge if not monday then by next monday. We're supposed to go tour the gym today and decide if we want to get memberships or not so I'm looking forward to that.

Oh and I exercised yesterday!!!! :cheer: It wasn't much, I jumped on the trampoline, ran around in the yard with the kiddos, pushed them in their swings stuff like that. We played outside for about an hour or so and I had so much fun. As adults we sometimes forget how fun it is to just be a kid :D And, I'm starting to get over feeling blah and yucky and unmotivated. I got me some melatonin to take before bed to see if it will help with my headaches. I should hopefully find some relief in a week or so.

Sheila: That is so exciting about the move. I know it's a lot of hard work but I bet it looks nice. I too love hardwood floors.

SAPF: That is awesome about the new study. G/L with it.

djs06
04-14-2005, 10:30 PM
I always read these, but I haven't really taken the time to post responses! I don't know why.

Beverly, I'm so glad to hear that your mother wants to follow your excellent example. Sometimes it's the little things (like the yogurt trick!) that will get through to people. I hope that she can lose the weight; I know you are an excellent example. I'm glad you two had such a nice visit! How far apart are you?

Sandi, good luck at WW! Where are you moving? I hope that turns out okay.

Dawnyal, wow, you have a lot of patience! Little rugrats... hehe. I hope your son feels better. I must have missed when you wrote about what he had, is it getting better?

Apryl, remember that friendships are much stronger than they seem! Is your friend moving far away? I graduated high school three years ago and I'm really happy with the way things turned out with friends, even if it wasn't always what I expected. Things will definitely change but you will be just fine! Good luck running for president!

Sheila, did you move far away? The house sounds great! Moving is lots of work though, you must be spent.

Jennifer, you gym rat. :lol: How do you like living in NYC? Are you a city gal at heart or did you just end up there? Always wondered.

I haven't really been posting lately because I've been too busy fattening up. But here I am. And alive, too! Just a little pudgier. I"ve realized in the last few weeks that I'm an all-or-nothing type of person, which is NOT good. if I don't get to the gym five times a week I get really discouraged and angry with myself. I'm like this with everything- school, everything. It's immature and I totally admit that, but it's so hard to change. School is... school. Next year is my last year, but I'm already starting to realize that english/creative writing majors are really just putting off bartending/waitressing for four years... better start looking for a job soon. I'm interning at a newspaper and it's completely miserable, but it's almost over and I'm proud of myself for sucking it up.

barbygirl43
04-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Dana—Welcome Back. Glad to see you are still around. I used to have that all-or-nothing mentality as well. I finally told myself it was okay to slip up every now and then just don't let it be all the time. I'm sorry to hear your internship is so crappy. I've worked at one TV station and 2 different newspapers. A lot of it depends on management. When they got rid of our other manager (I won't go into the details), our whole environment here changed for the better. I actually enjoy my job again. e-mail or PM me if you have any questions. :D As for William, he's been having bad ear infections (taking 2 rounds of antibiotics and rocephin (sp?) shots to clear them up since October) and he has fluid in his ears that is not draining. His hearing is horrible and if not corrected he could lose all hearing so he is getting tubes put in his ears next month.

I'm not sure what I signed myself up for but my next two months are going to be super super busy. It was my idea to let Chris play baseball. This is his first year and he has practice 2x a week. He's playing in the town where I work (30+ miles from home). Until school is out, I will have to take a late lunch and drive to pick him up and bring him back. While he is practicing, I get to take care of the two said rugrats. they about run me ragged last night but at least I'm getting some extra exercise. The ball fields are right on the lake (I work in a tourist town) so I'm definitely going to have to invest in a harness for William to keep him from going swimming.

Oh and the melatonin seems to be working to help with the headaches. I took my 2nd dose last night and I didn't wake up with one and it's almost 10 a.m. and my head has yet to start hurting.

howie6267
04-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Good news on the headache Dawnyal. I hope that really works for you. Ahh baseball. That is one of things I miss not having kids for. But we can watch our friends kids play so that will do.

Sandi
04-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Isn't it funny how these threads always get lost on our board???

So tomorrow is bring your kid to work day!! I am so excited! jacob is 4 1/2, but my boss said I could bring him. We worked it out so I'll only be in a 1/2 day. I think that's about the most Jacob could stand! He will be soooo excited when I tell him in the morning.

Been doing really good on my plan. Even when I get the munchies, I modify my plan, but am staying within my points!!!

How is everyone else???

SuchAPrettyFace
04-27-2005, 03:26 PM
I, for one, want to hear the gossip about Dawnyal's old boss. :lol:

I wonder if I could bring my dog to work tomorrow? Or to my job interview? :rofl:

Every time I go to start a new thread like this, I pause for a second before I hit submit & think, "No one cares. That kinda sh*t belongs in your journal." *shrugs*

treefrogtoes
04-27-2005, 05:30 PM
I had a moment last night.

You know the stuff that's taken for granted by most people... fitting in a theater seat, fitting through a narrow passage, things like that? Well last night I was wathching a movie at home on the couch and I realized that I was sitting pretzel legged on my couch!!! I actually gasped out loud and Sam (roomate/best friend) asked what was wrong, I started to cry happy tears because I WAS ACTUALLY sitting pretzel legged on the COUCH!!! I haven't been able to do that for years! I was comfortable and limber and estatic over such a simple take it for granted thing. Sam hugged me and told me how great I was looking and how proud she is of me. Us actually, she's lost 15 pounds too! She's at 130 now. Lucky snot!!!

SAPF - they won't let you bring your dog, I tried on my boss, she said no way!
I don't have kids, I don't see what the big deal is... ha ha joking of course... :lol:

SuchAPrettyFace
04-29-2005, 11:50 AM
My temp job ends today. :(

Sandi
04-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Sorry to hear that...anything else on the horizon??

barbygirl43
04-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Sorry to hear that SAPF.

Sara--that is great. I love sitting like that.

I'm supposed to be working on that big tab today but as usual everyone else is running behind so I'm pretty much left twiddling my thumbs (or surfing the net) and waiting for everything to be ready. I'm hoping this one will be a bit more organized than the last and won't take as long to put together.

Mother Nature is knocking on my door now and is bringing with her a nice migraine, cravings, cramps, and no telling what else. I'm just hoping I can make it through today since I just took my maximum alloted migraine medicine for the next 24 hours a couple of hours ago.

Oh and my cell phone is on the fritz again. I've got it down with the shop guy and he always says "I call you in a few minutes." Well that 2 was almost two hours ago. I've got to keep reminding myself to check back with him or I'll be phoneless for the weekend. Not a good thing when my kitchen business needs calls made.

heather_dw
04-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Freezing yogurt trick??

I have never heard of that one. Do you just "stick it in the freezer?" or is there more to it?

Sounds like you guys are busy busy!
Sheila: you are so lucky to be moving into a house of your own and hardwood floors are great!

Dawnyal: Aww,.. I hope your kiddos feel better soon but at least he didn't have pnuemonia. My 5 year old niece had surgery on her eye yesterday. I wont go into the details, but from what my sister told me, you would not be able to eat for awhile.

Howie: that letter to your dad sounded so sweet. Awwwwww :)

SPF: Good luck on on that medication/study. That sounds exciting!

Treefrogtoes: That is great! It seems to me that is those little things that can be the best sometimes and I will be glad when I dont have to worry about every place I go and every car I ride in being "fat girl friendly"

As for me, last week the vent/fan over the toilet in our bathroom starting leaking. When you use the toilet you get cold water dripped on your head. I saw the fix-it guy yesterday and he looked at it. The drywall and everything around the vent is all saturated and really not good. The upstairs neighbor's toilets and sink are *not* leaking so they do not know where the water is coming from. One of the "big wigs" of our apartment complex is coming over today in about 40 minutes and they are going to come look at it and decide what to do next. I would guess that there may be a leaking pipe up there somewhere and that they are going to need to cut up the celing to see. Last night hubby opened up that vent because it was leaking more and a bunch of water fell on him:-P

Sandi
04-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Today is the 1 year anniversary of my dad's death. Mom and I plan to go out to the cemetary and plant some flowers. Last night when we were at Target, I was paying and a man was walking by, he looked right at me and smiled. He looked just like my Dad. I burst into tears right there at the checkout. It was so wierd. I really feel like my Dad came down to tell me that he is still here and watching over me. It was the strangest thing.

dragonwoman64
04-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Aww, Sandi, a few years after my mom died, Rob and I went into a church and I lit a candle for her. I wasn't expecting it, but I just burst into tears. I feel like my mom watches over me too. Take care.

boiaby
04-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Oh, Sandi :grouphug: I wish I could give you a real hug. I can't believe it's been a year already! The thing with the man a the checkout isn't strange at all, that's just life's way of letting you know that your dad is always with you. Just be open to these little moments and cherish them, because they are so easily missed. Please take it easy and take care of yourself today. I know your mom needs you, but remember, you need you too.

Love ya bunches!
Beverly

kclay61
04-30-2005, 06:22 PM
OK, that was weird :?: I was typing away and my post disappeared :shrug: Oh well

I just wanted to say, Beverly and Marge, you ladies are awesome. You have lost a tremendous amount of weight. I can't wait for my ticker to read that.

Today has been slow yet progressive - I've done laundry, cleaned house, the girls cleaned their room, ran the dishwasher - and I'm still trying to find things to do. Hmmmmm wonder if ME nesting means that my new g'baby is going to be here soon :bb:

I don't know how I miss this thread, but I'm glad I found it.

jillybean720
05-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Wow, I have completely missed the existence of this thread! I keep just going into my User CP and checking up on threads I have posted on previously, so when new ones come about, I miss them--like this one! But, I've found it now, and that's all that matters.

Treefrogtoes--it's definitely the little things! I know my boyfriend wants to go to Busch Gardens this summer, but I can't help but be sooo afraid that I won't fit in the restraints on the roller coasters. I can't even believe I've gotten to the point where I have to think about that, ya know? So frustrating :mad:

Hope everyone has had/is having a great weekend (even with emotional memories of loved ones)!

barbygirl43
05-01-2005, 05:33 PM
SandiI think Beverly said it best. I hope yesterday went all right for you and your mom.

Kim Welcome over here. Glad you found us. :)

*Jill* How is it going? Are you still hanging in their with both jobs?

As for me, I'm at work on a Sunday afternoon since I didn't get the stuff for that big project until like 3 p.m. on Friday and I have to leave before noon tomorrow to take William to his pre-op appt. Hopefully he'll be well enough to get the OK for his tubes. If he is then I'll also get him pre-admitted for the operation on Thursday.
I got my Body for Life stuff all organized over the weekend. (Yippee) and I'm ready to get started. I had planned on being a brand new member of the local gym but the guy that owns it is super hard to get a hold of and we can never seem to get him to sign up. Oh well. I'm just going to do the upper body workout at home in the morning and if necessary some cardio on Tuesday. I'll have to figure out something else on Wednesday for the legs since my exercise equipment at home is very limited. I'm not going to let it get me down. I'm ready to take this challenge head on. :D

dragonwoman64
05-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks, Kim :) It has taken me time and lots of adjustments in my thinking and habits.

I was on another board for weight loss and I asked people who'd lost a significant amount of weight several questions.

1. how has your life changed?
2. Do people treat you differently?
3. Do you do all the things/activities you had on your "to do" list when you were losing weight?
4. what would you say are your most helpful tips for staying with it in the long run?
5. What was the biggest change you made?
6. What were the biggest mistakes you made?

here's a few excerpts that I wanted to share, I thought they were really helpful and inspirational (sorry this post is so long!):

I got over zealous in exercise and strained nearly every muscle in my body. It took a few days to recover, that was a feeling that I was super woman and could do more and more .. well I wasn;t super woman LOL

One of the best things I think I did was focus more on the health and nutrition less on the weight loss ..and of course making the changes that I can live with forever ..it makes it easier to stick to it that way.

1) I sleep well and wake up rested.
2) I no longer snore at all
3) My attitude is much better; everything in my life seems better (While I am sure the weight loss has helped because I feel better, my reconnecting spiritually has also helped a huge amount in this regard.)
4) My blood pressure is now is now better than 120/80 (114/57 this morning)
5) I have inspired many close to me to embark on a healthier life style
6) I have almost limitless energy
7) I enjoy life and consider every day a blessing!

For me, what's keeping the weight off, if not getting the rest of it off, is staying active. I could never do this without physical activity/exercise. I'm now trying to find even more ways in the nice weather to push my activity level even higher. I have been doing lots more things than I ever imagined. I'm learning how to rollerblade, went on my camping trip, even looking towards making hiking/camping trips a big part of my life...it just feels so amazing.

As for how people treat me, I definitely feel a difference. It could also be how I'm portraying myself, though. I feel less conspicuous, so maybe people pick up on that as well.

Mistakes - I think I made one big mistake in the beginning, by jumping in too fast food-wise. Rather than slowly changing little things in my diet, I went immediately from eating everything to eating mostly health foods, and being practically almost vegetarian. I think it's part of the reason I can't get any weight off right now - I cut down my calories too soon, when I probably
could have lost just as easily by going slower.

Chairs are more comfortable. My knees don't hurt. My butt doesn't knock stuff over any more! Weight loss turned back the clock. I've always been young at heart, but now my face and figure appear 10 years younger.

Yes, people do treat me differently. Men specifically. I'm happily married to my childhood sweetheart, and frankly as an obese woman I've been invisible for the last 30 years. I had to learn a whole new way of relating to the opposite sex. Last year on vacation with my girl cousins I got
"hit" on for the first time EVER....OMG...

To stick with it in the long run....put one foot in front of the other and repeat. There will always be times when your healthy habits fall by the wayside. The best strategy I can think of when you find yourself faltering is to go back to square one. Weigh portions, plan menus, stick to a
shopping list, force yourself to workout if you must. Following your plan will make you feel successful again.

When you lose sight of your accomplishments, take a walk down memory lane, like I'm doing now

treefrogtoes
05-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Marge - What a great post! I'm so proud of you for sticking with your weight loss goals. My highest weight ever was 324 and I'm now down to 264, so I feel like we are in about the same place...

jillybean720
05-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Yupyup, Dawnyal--still crankin' at the 2 jobs--don't have much choice since I just bought a brand new car a few weeks ago. Still leavin' the house at about 5:30am and getting home around 11pm. Makes healthy eating a little more difficult with less time to prepare and plan. I still count calories, but as of yesterday, I have to keep an eye on sodium, too, since my blood pressure has increased dramatically in the past 2-3 months (yeah, i get more physical activity and eat less, and my bp goes UP! go figure...). As you can see by my ticker, I'm finally down by 10.5 pounds and should be below 300 by this Thursday's weigh-in (yay!).

kclay61
05-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Way to Go girls! Let's keep up the fantastic work

I, on the other hand, am in a pi$$y mood. Long story short, my son is driving me crazy - ARG!

Looks like one of my girls has a UTI - guess it's time to take her to the Dr. - she said she feels better this morning, but we shall see when she gets home from school - she's gonna have to quit drinking soda's.

JILL - I know what you mean about sodium - I LOVE Fresca but can't drink it bcs it is FULL of sodium - have to really watch those diet drinks - sodium is rampant in those things

OK gotta run - check back later

dragonwoman64
05-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Sara, hey, we're doing pretty dang well! :D It does feel great. I never thought I'd be one of those people who loved getting up early and going to the gym! :lol: I'm looking forward to lots of good things ahead.

Jill, way to go! for me getting below 300 felt like I'd reached a significant goal.

What is UTI?

howie6267
05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
UTI = Urinary tract infection

barbygirl43
05-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Marge: what a great post. Thanks for posting it.

Jill: Glad to see you are still hanging in there. Yuck on the late hours. I think Heather_dw might have some tips about reducing sodium. I think she had to cut most of it out of her diet a few months back.

Kim: Sorry to hear about the UTI. Those are no fun and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. Hopefully your daughter will feel better soon.

kclay61
05-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks Dawnyal - she seems to be feeling better today - she said she don't need to go to the Dr. but will let me know if it starts bothering her again - I did call the Dr. tho, and she told me to get her some of those Azo Cranberry pills, that you can buy OTC so I did and she's been taking those 4x's.

frenchiepolarbear
05-03-2005, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=dragonwoman64]Thanks, Kim :) It has taken me time and lots of adjustments in my thinking and habits.

I was on another board for weight loss and I asked people who'd lost a significant amount of weight several questions.

3. Do you do all the things/activities you had on your "to do" list when you were losing weight?
4. what would you say are your most helpful tips for staying with it in the long run?

here's a few excerpts that I wanted to share, I thought they were really helpful and inspirational (sorry this post is so long!):

Intersting questions, as i was not there much these days, here are my two cents:

1. Feel less tired, more energetic.....Shopping for new clothes is easier, Blood pressure is now within normal specs.

2. i've always had friends who appreciated me for who i am, even at 335 pounds or 254, therefore not much change on this issue, except maybe the fact that some people i havent seen for a long time do not recognize me

3. dont go to extremes....Keep balanced..basically, just do as i say and do`t do as i do!!

4.cut off fast food

5. I endangered my health with meal replacement shakes twice a day. It worked, but not to recommend

dragonwoman64
05-04-2005, 01:10 PM
I was hoping people here would answer these questions too. :) I know it helps me. Thanks, Frenchie.

howie6267
05-04-2005, 02:19 PM
1. How has your life changed?
I feel so much better about myself. I am no longer ashamed to eat in front of people. I just feel so much healthier.

I've been chosen to go on a lot more business trips at work. I had never gone until this year. So I'm not sure if it's the weight or not.

I do not have a lot on the to do list. I do go bike riding and I go to baseball games now. I am still waiting to get low enough to go horseback riding.

4. What would you say are your most helpful tips for staying with it in the long run?
Journal your food. Write everything down even when you are off plan. Writing it down when you are off plan is the most important one because then you’re not lying to yourself. Second get active. If you can't afford a gym go walking do something. This is not as important at first but it's a must do at some point. I did not exercise until I was down to about 330.

Eating healthy. Before when dieting I would eat whatever. I lost 190 lbs doing that but then I feel back into old habits and since I was eating the same food well the weight came back on. This time I have totally changed my diet. Yes we do have a treat meal once a week but mainly we eat what we should. We follow the American Heart Association plan.

There have been 3 times this past year that I made mistakes and feel back into old habits. I gained about 8 lbs each time. However the most important thing is to realize it was just a mistake and you can get back on plan. You don't have to continue to do what you are doing.

Sheila53
05-04-2005, 02:35 PM
I like being able to shop in a "regular" store. I have more energy, and feel better about being in social situations.

Yes. People I don't know seem to strike up a conversation with me more often.

I don't know that I really had any.

Just keep on plugging away, no matter what happens. It doesn't matter how fast you lose weight or when you get to your goal.

Regular exercise.

Letting one bad eating day turn into two bad eating days, etc.

dragonwoman64
05-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks Shiela and Howie (and again Frenchie), I hope you don't mind that I keep your responses in a little journal I have. It's for my own personal use, I find all these answers really helpful and inspiring. :)

Jillegal
05-05-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm game - warning though, I tend to go on and on and on... :rolleyes:

1. How has your life changed?
I'm more energetic, more active, less self-conscious and more confident. When I think of those days when I was unhappy at my job but didn't even have the energy to do anything about it, felt everyone was judging me because of my weight and had the mindset that noone would hire a dangerously overweight and miserable person, I'm soooo glad I lost over 100lbs. and went after my dream job (happily there for 2 years now). I used to send the kids out to play - now I go out and play with them. I used to take my dear little bichon (Daisy) for an obligatory walk around the block - now Heidi, the jack russell, and I hike for hours at a time. I used to drive to the corner store - now I run out the door and jog there. I used to feel bloated, defeated and depressed after overeating - now I know if I slip, I can get right back to business the next day and not allow it to snowball. I'm happier and healthier. Why would I ever want to go back to "the bad old days"?! :?:

Definitely. Salesclerks don't pass me by to assist thinner people, business associates take me more seriously, people seem less judgmental and you don't see looks of pity (or feel they're mocking you behind your back). This aspect has always bothered me - being judged because of your looks. We all know our intelligence and character doesn't change because we lose weight, yet people will treat you differently. Is it a case of employers not taking you seriously because they feel a person who doesn't care about their own health will likely not care about the company? Do people withdraw from the big person because they see unhappiness and a sense of failure (so much for the "jolly fat person"). Are people literally turned off by fat? I had someone tell me (after I lost the weight) that she had avoided me because gluttony and fat rolls disgusted her. I informed her that I'm the same person now as I was then and hearing such things is as hurtful now as it would have been then. If she kept such thoughts to herself then, would she please do it now? :mad:

Oh yes...I travel much more now because I fit comfortably in the plane seat and can tour interesting sites without having to stop and rest every minute. Again, having the confidence to try for that new job was as a result of losing weight. Many things on the "to do" list were left for others because I physically couldn't do them (cutting the grass, re-seeding the lawn, cleaning out the basement and bringing boxes up stairs). :smug:

4. What would you say are your most helpful tips for staying with it in the long run?
Having support. I couldn't do it on my own. My Weight Watchers meetings give me motivation, inspiration, great tips and ideas on food and activity and a feeling of being with people who truly understand that being fat doesn't make you a bad person. I've also made lasting friendships. The exact same things can be said about 3FC - understanding, motivation, inspiration and friendship! I agree with Sheila about the "plugging away", also. Don't give up a week, month or even a year into it. As long as you're moving towards your goal you're a success. Don't worry how long it takes, just keep at it! :D

Exercise, drastically reducing fast food and sugar, eating more veggies than I ever could have imagined and, most importantly, changing my outlook - about myself, my future and my life in general. Once I'd convinced myself I could do this, I knew I would do it! :cool:

Thinking that the less I ate the more weight I'd lose. It took a long time to understand that you have to eat in order to lose weight. Another big mistake was getting frustrated or discouraged over small losses while "on plan". After a year, when I averaged it all out, I was losing around 2lbs. a week (even though some weeks it was .2 of a pound and others 3lbs.)! Its the big picture that counts...not the one lousy little week out of many! :)

jillybean720
05-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey Marge, I'll answer those questions for ya once I've lost more than just 11 pounds :p like maybe once I can actually notice a difference (and can fit in the restraints of roller coasters again!).

I like the new smilies we have to choose from...I think this one is me doing my Advanced Tae Bo workout :tantrum: hehe

Good news on the blood pressure front--it was 133/82 when they checked it this morning. MUCH better than Monday's 145/110. I must have been pretty upset about something on Monday, but whatever it was, I'm glad it's gone today! I'll still keep an eye on my sodium intake, though, because I KNOW I have too much, and it will eventually catch up to me.

Jillegal--must be something with Jills, cuz my posts tend to be among the longest (in reference to how you tend to "go on and on and on") :D

Sheila53
05-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I thought of something else that's changed. I can shop in consignment and thrift stores now, so I spend less money on clothes. Still haven't gotten the hang of sizes, however. Yesterday I went into a thrift store because I need a white shirt to help out at a fundraiser on Friday. I took a 1X and a Large into the dressing room, convinced that the 1X would be the right size. Well, the Large was what I ended up with, and I probably could have taken a Medium, but I have tummy rolls that I don't like to advertise. :)

I'm sure I spend less money on food, too, since I'm not hitting drive-ins or ordering pizzas.

treefrogtoes
05-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Everyone has such great responses to Marge's questions! I take a crack at 'em too...

In the 4 months I've been changing my lifestyle I have made myself feel amazingly healthy. I still have plenty of weight to lose, but I can breath easier, I have stamina to go for a long walk or jog (a little, still have boobs), and can just move aroung more gracefully.

Yes. Much more attention now, from men... well that's just how guys are and from women asking how I'm doing it... always looking for the quick fix. No one likes hearing it takes work and determination!

I'm using most of the main things as my mini-goal rewards! Extra incentive if I get something out of it! For the most part I never quit doing the things I wanted to do.

Having a plan and sticking with it. If I were to stray off plan, I'd probably stop all together.

Um... EVERYTHING! Changed food comsumption to less than 20 grams of fat a day. Exercise 6 days a week. No exceptions. No fast food.

In the past I didn't have a good support system and I failed myself.

dragonwoman64
05-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks, Jill, Sara, and Shiela :) It's funny how I tended to concentrate on the beginning (all psyched up starting the program), and the end (me at a healthy weight), but then the middle part all seemed so fuzzy! And 90 percent of it is the middle part, ha. I'm about 1/3 the way now. Yeah!

Hey Marge, I'll answer those questions for ya once I've lost more than just 11 pounds like maybe once I can actually notice a difference (and can fit in the restraints of roller coasters again!).--Jill

You'll do it, Jill. Then we'll post our answers at the exact same moment and crash each others computers, heh heh.

I like the new smilies we have to choose from...I think this one is me doing my Advanced Tae Bo workout hehe

Here's me this morning on the bike! :ebike:

tolose85
05-06-2005, 01:51 PM

Before got pregnant and was almost at goal (8 lbs away) I was very active, and felt wonderful. I could shop in almost any store and could even shop the junior section! I felt more confident and radiant! (Although I feel pretty radiant now having the pregnancy "glow" and all :)

Yes and no. The people who have always known and loved me no matter what, don't- well at first I got a ton of compliments from then. And Yes, by store clerks and men. I received more attention from them but that could be my mind perceiving it differently because I was more confident.

3. Do you do all the things/activities you had on your "to do" list when you were losing weight? I would be if I was not pregnant!

Make this journey FUN. Make it a part of your daily living change. Not just a diet, a lifestyle change. Experiment with different things until you find what works for YOU! Remember, no to bodies are just alike, therefore, no two weight loss efforts are either!

5. What was the biggest change you made? I quit smoking and I became more aware of my food choices.

6. What were the biggest mistakes you made? The closer I got to goal, the more "lenient" I was becoming in my food choices...

Jillegal
05-06-2005, 02:30 PM
I really miss you Gretchen (without you, I forget there are people in the world who find this journey "fun" ). :lol: I was going to ask you about the smoking - I knew you were working very hard on that and was hoping you'd quit for good (especially now that you're preggers). Good girl! :smug: