PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #1  

Thumbs up PCOS- a different treatment

I stumbled here and have really found that I have been struggling like many of you with the PCOS and insuling resistance. Taking the progesterine hormones makes us gain more weight, etc.
My doctor last month started talking to me about a new treatment, which I had done last week. I studied, reviewed, got a second opinion and researched some more.
The doctor installed Mirena in my uterus, Mirena is a Intra Uterine System, like an IUD very small but it releases progesterine locally into the uterus, so the hormone is not all in your blood stream. There can be some unusual bleeding for a while, but it is better than no period since the increased risks of health issues that can give you. The Mirena system is good for 5 years from the day you have it put in. Although it is "birth control" per say how it assists in the treatment of PCOS is that the progesterine thins out the Uterine wall making period normal or non existent. Most of us miss those period due to the fact our lining won't shed and therefore when it finally does we almost hermorage clots and it can be painful.
I am 33 and I can go a year without having a period if I don't take my progesterone. I have battled this for many years and it took 4 doctors to finally figure out what the problem was. My newest group of doctors are from Emory University and they are really awesome.
The procedure didn't take that long to perform and I had minimal cramping and bleeding for two days and now I actually feel better than I have in a while. Now, I know reality is that it will take more than a week for my body to adjust to the changes. But she said that they have been using this to treat PCOS for a while now with a good success rate.
Wanted to share with you.
komputermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #2  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey, ironic that I just posted a message about heavy bleeding...to me that is probably the worst symptom of my PCOS....I never realized that the reason I bled so heavily when i DID get my period, was due to the fact that I usually went months without one. Common sense told me that I had a thicker than usual lining, not a thin one. I still to this day cannot believe that no doctors or pediatricians growing up thought to test me for this disorder. In retrostpect, looking back, I realize that I've had this for quite a while, as I cannot remember the last time I had a "regular" period. I remember one doctor telling me that "irregularity was the regular thing for some people..." and of course I got the usual melarchy about how as I get older it will even out. Well it never did. :/ Thanks for the info, good luck to you.
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote