Dieting with Obstacles - Diabetes life change

View Full Version : Diabetes life change

nosugarmomma
04-09-2005, 12:37 PM
I was told I had dieabetes almost three months ago. It was such a shock. My whole life has change because of this. I can not cook like I used to. And have to check my blood sugar everyday well it is finally becomeing habit. My family is real supportive. The only thing is I have to lose alot of weight :( and its hard. Not only am I going to ww I have to watch my sugar. So when they say "don't deprive your self of something you want to eat. :nono: I still have to deprive myself cause what I want has sugar in it" So it is a really hard thing to do, but I am exercising and watching what I eat and have not had the junk I used to eat in months. Well if there is anyone out there that is in the same boat? Then come on over and talk to me. :wave: :goodscale Angie

AmberM
04-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi,

My name is Amber and I'm a diabetic *smile* I feel like I'm at an AA meeting *hehe* I was diagnosed 3 years ago now which is hard to believe. I think the number one thing that has helped me is exercise. It lowers my sugars greatly. Even if I have a perfect eating day (which are few and far between) if I exercise my sugars stay stable. If you do HAVe to have something sweet, make sure you eat it with a meal (protein) because it will help your sugars not go as crazy. I LOVe diet vanilla pepsi and don't feel deprived at all.

Good luck with your weight loss!
AmberM

Sword&Canteen
04-10-2005, 04:47 AM
Hi Amber, Hi Angie

Hi my name is Kisha and I, too, am a diabetic ;).

I do not have insurance, so I cannot afford to get tested so I've had to self diagnose. I have quite a few of the symptons plus with family history...It was a pretty short jump to the conclusion. I've managed to eliminate the sugar and white flour and include more veggies and fruits. I've just started doing a Pilates aerobic workout video. OMG, I can barely get through it but it seems to be helping.

I miss my sugary treats too. I'm looking into sugar alternatives like stevia and birch bark and seeing if I can modify some of my sweet treat recipes so that I can indulge once in awhile. I do freak out and grab a treat sometimes but I try to get as healthy as possible about it. Like I'll get the chocolate bar with almonds instead of plain chocolate. At least I'll get a little calcium out of it from the almonds. I'll have to try the protein thing. As it is, I don't think I'm getting enough.

My question is: I'm looking to get a blood glucose monitoring machine. What kind do you use and is it a good one? I have an idea (from scouring the internet) of what a good blood sugar level should be and need to start monitoring mine. There are so many products out there, though, it's hard to figure out what I should be looking for in a machine and who's a good manufacturer.

Thanks for any help you can provide. And keep up the good work ladies :)

Kisha

nosugarmomma
04-10-2005, 08:21 AM
I have a montonier called Ancesa I like it but it was kinda expenisve, I check my sugar in the morning before I have anything to eat or drink. That is the best time to check it. Have you tried using Splenda it taste just like sugar and is more avilable then the stevia. And alot of things in the grocer has splenda and rusell stovers has a no sugar candy I really like the mint patties. But I have to watch how much of these things I eat anyway you know calories. Are you drinking water and lots of it? I drink about 4 32 oz. glasses a day. Sometimes I feel waterlogged. But thats o.k My sugar this mornign was 104 so that is real good. I hope this helps you and everything goes o.k for you. You really should see a doctor, they can help you even more. I know it is hard with out insur. But please try to go and see one, self diagnoseing is scary, Hope everything goes well for you and bless you and have a nice day :wave: :angel: Angie

Sword&Canteen
04-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the reply Angie. I'll check into that monitor. I've been trying to find information on the internet but it's like trying to pick the best blue pen out of a mountain of five hundred. :dizzy:

I'm turning into one of those crazy health nuts. I tried Splenda at first (only in my coffee) and it tastes great but then I read a report about some of the potential side effects of using it so I've decided to just ditch artificial sweetners altogether and go for something more natural. That's why I thought about Stevia. At the health food store I go to, they are selling it in small packets like Splenda. The particular brand they are selling says that it has a glycemic index of zero and won't raise blood sugar. I grabbed a few free samples but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Right now I'm barely managing to get in 8 cups of water a day. My goal is to get up to a gallon (16 cups). At one point I drank 3 of those 1.5 liter bottles and make myself sick. A friend of mine says that I may have given myself water poisoning. I don't eat a lot of salt and I guess what salt I was packing around in my body was washed away by all the water I drank. Now I add a little sea salt to my water which helps me retain it better (I'm not going to the bathroom every five minutes unless I'm hungry) but I think the experience put me off of water because I've been having a hard time getting back up to that level.

Thanks again for the info. It sounds like things are going okay for you. How are you doing okay with your plan?

Hugs
Kisha

AmberM
04-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi,

I use the One Touch Ultra monitor. It uses a small amount of blood which I like. It is a good idea to check your sugars a couple times a day....at least for a little while just to see when they tend to jump so you can accomodate accordingly. Mine do so much better with exercise that I've actually had to decrease my insulin. Also, water is important but just drink what you can. If I get my 8 glasses in, I'm happy.
good luck! Losing weight, exercising and eating healthy will help you out until you can get in to see a doctor!

AmberM

sapphire9
04-11-2005, 01:51 PM
I have a One Touch Ultra (actually Ihave two of them - my HMO sent them to me free). It is compact and easy to use. The Monitor itself is not too expensive and you can get rebates on them. Unfortunately, the testing materials are expensive and if you don't have insurance, this may be a problem for you. Rather than buy a monitor you may want save up and go to a doctor for a diagnosis first. You may need medication. The generic forms of diabetes medications are not expensive. In the meantime, keep up your diet management and exercise.

nosugarmomma
04-17-2005, 11:02 PM
What moniter did you decide on ? :)

capernan
04-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I was so pleased to see this thread. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes about a week ago. I was not really pleased since I have PCOS and am about 80 lbs overweight. My regular doctor is off on maternity leave, but her replacement referred me to the diabetic clinic, told me I need to exercise daily, lose weight and test my blood sugars. I am waiting to go to the clinic before I get a monitor since I don't really know what I'm looking for.

What I am finding is that I have been on a million diets in my life and now I am really confused as to what I should be eating. Any suggestions to keep me going until I get in to the clinic? Any menu suggestions? Is it okay to go on any diet or should I be on one specifically for diabetics trying to reduce weight?

Thanks,
Nancy

sapphire9
04-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi, Nancy. Sorry about your diagnosis. Come join us over at the Dieting With Diabetes thread. (You'll find it under Dieting with Obstacles.) We provide ongoing information and support for each other. As to your diet, it's difficult. we are all struggling. Basically, you should eat a balanced diet, controlling carbohydrates. Avoid sugar based foods, limit pasta, potatoes and rice, try to eat complex carbohydrates (brown rice, whole grains) in small amounts. Also, rather than drink fruit juice, which overloads your system with sugar, eat the whole fruit. Check out the glycemic index for the sugar content of foods and try to consume mostly the ones in the lower category. The American Diabetes Association Website has lots of information and a list of cookbooks, etc. Also, Dr.Weil.com is very informative. Good luck.

nosugarmomma
04-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Hello Nancy I am glad you found us. Rosetta is right about what to eat.
I went on weight watchers and that has helped but you have to find your own nich of a diet that works for you. I hope we all can be helpful. And come vist us in the thread she suggested hope to see you there or here.;) :flow2: :dancer: :grouphug: :goodluck: :flow1: :wave: Angie

capernan
04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Thaks Rosetta and Angie. I'm heading over to that thread now.

Nancy

MAGirardin
04-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi, my name is Melissa. I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in February 2003. I have never really eaten sweets, I am much more of a carb junkie. I love pasta! I have recently switched over to whole wheat pasta which fills you way faster, plus it is better for you too. Another goal I am trying is to eat at least one green thing a day. TTYL.

Melissa

nosugarmomma
04-30-2005, 12:48 AM
;) Well just thought I would check in. I have not checked this in awhile. I have been having a hard time with "french fries" this week I know not to eat them but I live them. I am gonna try harder this week not to eat them maybe I can find another vegi to eat .......I hope everyone is doing o.k My blood sugar was 103 today I am so pleased:) Well I got to go cause I have to get in bed and get some sleep:sssh: See ya'all later k Angie :wave:

kclay61
04-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Hello everyone - I was diagnosed, the first time, with Gestational Diabetes back 12yrs ago - now I have Type 2 - I was on insulin while pg but now I'm on diet and pills - I have the One Touch monitor - it was $75 w/o insurance - but, as someone else said, the testing strips and lancets are expensive also. Have you checked into some type of Medicaid? Especially since you've been diagnosed with Diabetes. Maybe you could get a letter from your Dr. or something.

My lowest # has been 117 - my highest has been almost 300 - right now I'm leveling off around 120.

Staying away from starches helps as well as sugar. I don't care for Splenda, it is toooo sweet for my taste. I buy those Russel-Stoffers SF candies and WW has now come out with some. Maybe they would quinch that hunger for something sweet.

nosugarmomma
04-30-2005, 01:17 PM
My sugar was 102 this morning. That makes me feel good. I hope everyone is having a nice day. I have to work all week maybe I can get a day off soon I hope. See ya in the funnies:D Angie

kclay61
04-30-2005, 02:44 PM
I haven't eaten anything, today, but have had a glass of tea (with sweetner) and my BS is 171 :( I hope I don't have to end up on insulin

I just took my BS again, 2 hours after I ate, and it went down to 154 :)

akrosey49
04-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi kclay.. did u use an atrtificial sweetner like splendora..or equal in your tea??? as sometimes those fake sugars act like real sugar..try a product called stevia..u can get it in most health food deptmnts..it works better and doesnt act like sugar..hope this helps((((((hugs))))))) rosey ps w2g angie in the low numbers

kclay61
04-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Yeah I use Sweet-n-Low - I don't like Slenda - Stevia huh? Never heard of it. Might have to see if I can find some, thanks!

nosugarmomma
08-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Well it has been some time since I posted on this thread. Here is the update. I quit my job. The stress was too much for me. The Doc changed my meds and they seem to be working. My sugar has been good lately. And I am not enjoying staying home. I am so bored and lonley since my son went back to school. Can not find enough to do. I hope everyone is doing fine. Have a great day. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_16_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm006YYUS)

BluebonnetDiva
08-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi NoSugarMomma,

Greetings from a fellow Texan. :)

It's tough, isn't it? Diabetes is different for everybody. And when you already struggle with weight, it just seems like it's adding insult to injury that you have to be sooo careful with sugar and carbs, too.

You really sound stressed and lonely. If I can make a suggestion, have you thought about doing some kind of volunteer work in an area you would enjoy? Getting out and doing things for others can really help lift your spirits, and get your mind off your own problems as well.

Also, are you exercising regularly? Can you find a walking buddy in your area? I am lucky to live close to a really nice walking trail that goes along a creek, and my hubby and I make it a point to walk there several times a week. We see lots of women walking in pairs or groups, and chattering away having a great time. If you're talking the whole time, exercise goes by very quickly!

We try to exercise every day, usually for two sessions. Believe me, it's not easy! I'd much rather be on the couch with a good book and a bag of Doritos! But exercise not only gives me more energy, but it lowers my blood sugar. I am trying to be able to get off medication completely and control my diabetes with diet and exercise.

Finally, I'd like to recommend the books of Dr. Andrew Weil, particularly 8 Weeks to Optimum Health. Although he doesn't specifically address diabetes, this is a very manageable overall approach to getting and staying healthy. He has a lot of great information on his website, too --- www.drweil.com. He recommends some natural supplements, such as chromium, which can help lower your blood sugar.

Hang in there, and good luck!

BBD
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar097/fireworks01/lb/0/140/9/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

oldwriter
08-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi had type 2 for around 3or4 yrs-not sure
Get confused
I grew up with calorie counting-then feel like i should count sugars and sodium numbers
Carbs frustrate me so much:but, that's what I'm supposed to go by???? AHHHHH!!!!! :tantrum: :lol:
I'm a potato chip junkie. :o
Need to get back to exercising-felt better
Maybe i'll eventually get it right. :)

BluebonnetDiva
08-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Hi Oldwriter,

I'm a writer too. :)

Counting anything --- carbs, fat, calories --- does not work for me. It's just no way to live, IMHO. In fact, dieting doesn't work. Nothing short of a lifestyle change works in the long run.

So, I don't really think of myself as being on a diet. I've changed the way I eat. Sometimes I make a choice that's less healthy (like the gelato I had at lunch today), but I still make a BETTER choice. B.D. (that's Before Diabetes) I would have had 12 oz. Now I can be happy with the kiddie size.

So, you've gotta have potato chips? I say have 'em. Not every day, not a whole bag, not with a big greasy cheeseburger, but have a reasonable portion of your favorite potato chips with otherwise healthy fare. Maybe skip some fat and carbs at another meal. It's not going to wreck your diet --- in fact, it may make it more successful in the long run.

(BTW, I hit the gym AND the swimming pool to "pay" for that gelato!) ;)

oldwriter
09-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks bluebonnet. :wave:

I had some reg chips the other day-my favorite kind and they tasted too salty.
I had McDonald FF and my lips felt greasy.
I eat a few low fat pringles instaed of spuds at meals or for a snack w/ peanuts or natural peanut butter. :T
I pour off as much of the oil as possible. Empty the pb into a bowl-stir the chunky nuts thru the pb as they sit on top in the jar. Put it back in the jar and keep it in the fridge so the nuts don't float to the top.

kclay-are you fasting? I didn't think that was wise w/diabetes.
You may be slowing your metabalism down to starvation.
My numbers are better than they've been and I'm eating. Part of my prob is stress. I'm really cool at the moment b/c a lot of my prob are almost solved-but before that- my numbers were scaryily high.My numbers are more and more in the 100's. One was 143-I was :dance: :woo:
Nosugarmomma-do you have a hobby-maybe one you could even turn into a home business-something you enjoy or nursing home visitors are always needed. I think it's great that you can be so bored and you are not blowing your diet(way of eating) ;) and your numbers are great. I eat when I'm bored so trying to keep busy-lots of projects waiting for me with my old house. :lol:
Have a great day.
Carol

ps: bluebonnet-what kind of writing do you do? As soon as my printer gets fixed-my first children's book manuscript will be sent to the agent. I have a mystery chapter book for 7-10 yr olds. Writing the basic story was fun-getting enough words was a challenge to the old brain. :dizzy: Working on the next one. Hope for a series using the main characters. :goodvibes

BluebonnetDiva
09-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Hi Oldwriter,

Isn't it funny how once you stop eating certain foods, they don't taste as good when you come back to them? For my birthday, we splurged and went out for Tex-Mex and I let my guard down and had some chips and salsa. I felt like I had just upended a vat of grease into my mouth, and did not enjoy them at all! It was enough to make me swear off 'em.

I am a professional opera singer and I write for an industry publication. I also write a newsletter for singers, and am working on a book to help young people who think they want a career in classical singing. I diddle around with fiction now and then, as well, but I've never published any of that. One day ... :)

BBD

nosugarmomma
09-08-2005, 12:46 AM
I am not doing so good today I have a summer time cold. And I feel like poop:barf: But I will get over this. My sugar has been o.k but my eating has been horrid. I have not been eating like I should and my body tells me everyday. I have heartburn everyday. I do not have a hobby so I will just be bored. But i am getting out and doing some things, I went with my husband to go and look at his goats. They are growing really fast. I just hope he can make some money at it, otherwise we are going to go broke......Well enough of my complaining. I hope everyone is doing fine. And having a good day. Friends are Forever!!!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cus/e_1_42.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm006YYUS)

Mazarin
09-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Well I am Alison, and you might get to see a little more of me around here! I was diagnosed today with type 2 diabeties and I'll be taking my first HbA1C on Monday.....

All the more reason for me too diet now.....

oldwriter
09-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Am happy today-lost one more pound. :cp: :cb:

Nosugarmomma- maybe if you learned more about hubby's goats-you could be a big help to him. You may find you enjoy it. You could make this work together and wouldn't lose everything. Just a thought. Maybe he'd appreciate help with his dream. Everyone should have a dream.Hope you feel better soon.

Hi Mazarin-glad to meet you. My AC1 test last month was 9.2 :o
Hopefully it will be better next time. My numbers are better and eating right seems to be more automatic for me now.

Bluebonnetdiva-awesome career you have. If you do fiction you could use your career as the character's or setting background.
I was a factory worker for 31 years. In my mid 30's I wanted something for me. I was a factory worker,a wife to an ill husband and a mom to two kids. I felt like I was everything to everyone and had nothing for me. We had purchased a plot of 4 graves in the cemetary when we had a stillborn child. We knew eventually my hubby would be there so we got a family size one. I was thinking about what words I would put on it when it came to our stone. I poem litterally flew from my pen. I wrote several from my emotions, etc. Well I didn't find a home for them prob because I didn't know the proper way to send in material. I felt it was a gift-I believe God gives gifts-somethimes in little ways the people don't realize. I knew mine was as I got c's and d's in English. Maybe he chose this time to tap my gift as I discovered there where 3 other cousins in my family that write. Artists too but haven't had lessons-yet. :) Looked into writing schools-Writer's Digest School-is a good one-and The Institute of Children's Literature-the one I picked. Both have home study courses. Graduated in 88 and didn't do much with it-lacked guts to really try. Sat on it till I retired early in 97. Started brushing up as a lot had changed. Went to conference last year with my cousin and editor liked it. When he went to an agentcy he e-mailed me. And the rest is history. :)
Sorry this is so long. :o Have a nice Sunday.

Ottoette
09-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Hi All, I was diagnosed with Type II last month on the basis of a single HbA1C test of 6.0. I had gestational diabetes 2 years ago with my son. The specialist put me on insulin right away because I was pg and can't take meds when pg. I lost that baby 8/17. Doc said South Beach Diet is the best way for diabetics to lose. I started it 9/5 and have lost 7 lbs already and dropped my insulin dosage twice. I am highly motivated to lose and get off insulin.
I am 43 yo UNIX systems administrator for a food manufacturing company. I have a 2 year old, been married 3 years. Used to garden and write in my free time, but no longer have any free time! :-)
I am reading a book called "Reversing Diabetes" by Julian Whitaker. Funny thing is his suggested eating plan is much like SBD. Stay away from highly processed foods, eat more whole grains and complex carbs. He does suggest many supplements and I have started 5-HTP this week, no apparent affect yet.
I have a One Touch Ultra monitor by Lifescan and I test 7 times a day - before and after meals and at bedtime. Crazy, huh?
I'm sure there must be some assistance for the uninsured with diabetes, just probably hard to find. Maybe write the Lifescan company and see if they know? www.lifescan.com Somebody's gotta know something! :-)
I must be moving here, at least it's FRIDAY!!!
Kim

iwmonn
09-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Before moving out of 'The Big City", i spent the last 14 yrs working in various medical offices. I seldom ever had to purchase my dibetes testing supplies or medications. The Drug reps supplied our office(s), and eventually me personally with all of it. I had 4 monitors (one each for home, work, boyfriends house and one I kept in the car). They give them to dr's in hopes the dr's will pass them to their patients because the profit for them is in the strips, not the monitor itself. The rep would come in every few weeks to stock cabinets with sample meds, and ask if I needed any strips or meds and if I did, she stocked me up too. NOW I work at a place offering no insurance so the dr I go to now gives me samples of Lipitor for my cholestorol, and they have set me up on a program through the drug company (in my case Eli Lily) for Actos for my blood sugar.

My point being that you should check with your dr about getting samples and/or researching financial programs. I believe all the drug companies are required to have something available.

sweetn'crazy
09-21-2005, 09:54 PM
I am 19 and I have type 1 diabetes. I am just trying to get more in shape and loose a little baby fat. Does anyone have any advice for me as far as dieting goes??? Thanks!