Support Groups - Time For serious Fun #101

View Full Version : Time For serious Fun #101

gma22
04-07-2005, 09:04 AM
TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Report our losses!
Saturday: Sunny Thoughts Saturday We share stories and jokes to help us smile
Sunday: Silly Poll Sunday A new poll to give your thoughts to every week

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

POSTING A WTG: A WTG IS WHEN SOMETHING NON WEIGHT LOSS HAPPENS TO YOU LIKE A NEW DRESS IN A SMALLER SIZE. TO POST A WTG, USE ALL CAPS AND POST IT IN PINK. FOR EXAMPLE: WTG: I rode my bike 2 miles instead of one today.

gma22
04-07-2005, 09:06 AM
THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday. Make sure and take a little time just for you today! You are WORTH it!

Dorothy :cp:

I will be back in a little later to check on everyone

Faye :)

Amanda Panda
04-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi all,

I got 3 points yesterday! I got up late today and nearly missed my swim - I was a bit disappointed about missing it, so in the end I gulped down a quick cup of coffee and raced down there! I ended up having a really good swim and had alot more energy than I've had over the last few days.

Dorothy - Well done for managing to stick within your points. I did WW for a bit and that exact thing happened to me once - I bought a 'healthy eating' type pizza and guessed the points would be about 10 - it turned out it had 37 points!! Well done for still managing to stay on track - it would have been easy to think 'oh well I've blown it now, might as well pig out!!' - or maybe that's just me! :lol:

FAYE - Thanks for clearing up that birthday alarm thing - it's nice and clear now! Keep safe during the storms.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: To Carri, Nikki, Julie, Sandy and Susan!

Love Amanda x

gma22
04-08-2005, 05:20 AM
FRIDAY: Today is Fabulous Friday's Future. Give everyone an example of what you would like to happen in the future with your weight loss, ie, smaller wedding dress, etc.

POINTS WRAPUP:

Amanda :cp:

back a little later girls

turningleaf4me
04-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Hi Girls!
Been staying OP and drinking my water. Works been crazy so I have been a bit tired, but hanging in there.

Amanda-Thanks! Usually, I would've just blown it, but been trying really hard to stick with it and think this time I'm actually getting back into the groove of things. I dont want to gain all the lbs I lost last time. By the way I hear swimming is a great exercise, good for you, for sticking to it also and going.

Oh I think I have a mini zoo at home now, yesterday I was given a free parakeet. Its a girl or at least I think, judging from its cere color. She's yellow with light black speckles and a little green by the tummy. Not sure what to call her yet, any suggestions?? She's sweet and still very young, lets me pet her and everything. Think I could really train her well. Now remember I already have the 2 cats (Kit & Nemo) and the chihuahua, Gizmo, lol...my mini zoo.

Okay talk to you girls later...take care.

QuilterInVA
04-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Hello, ladies - hope you are all ready for the weekend...I'm doing some painting in my sunroom. Have the trim to do - the part I hate the worst - then I'm making some new window treatments and it'll be done.

Didn't get my exercise in yesterday but did stay OP and drink my water. Same for today, so far. It's been raining so I can't get out and walk...or at least that's the excuse for today.

gma22
04-08-2005, 03:29 PM

Dorothy: You do kind of have a zoo going. I just have the cat and dog. Ok, this is corny, but if she is yellow with black spotting, why not Bee or Bumblebee? Kind of crazy, but then, remember my dog's name is Fortune!

I just finished The Same Sweet Girls, which was an awesome book. Boohooed through the end of it, then a little later put in the DVD the Notebook and major boohooing on that. I know it is partially because with both the book and the movie it is about older people and with the movie, both my grandfather and mother had Alzheimer's and every time I forget or can't bring something to memory fast enough it creeps me out so I just bawled and bawled thinking about Jack being in that position 20 years from now. It is a good movie though.

I hope everyone has a great weekend this weekend. Tomorrow is my grandson's very first soccer practice so I am all excited about that.

You all take care. TTFN

Faye ***JULIE WE MISS YOU BUNCHES GIRL!***

Amanda Panda
04-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi,

I got 4 points yesterday. Stayed up till 5am playing computer games with Nigel! :tired:

DOROTHY - I love amimals too - I have a cat and we are going to get a kitten soon for him to play with. I have a bird phobia so could never keep a bird - my actual phobia is of dead birds - so birds and cats in the same house - that's asking for trouble! :lol:

FAYE - My dad had a 'funny turn' recently where he completely lost his short term memory - I'm praying it's not Alzheimers. I always remember my mum saying to me when I was a teenager - if I ever get like that (senile) just kill me'. It must have been horrible to see your mother go through it, and of course worry about yours and Jack's health.

SUSAN - Well done for staying on track with your food and water.

JULIE!!!! WHERE ARE YOU HON??? PLEASE CHECK IN - WE MISS YOU!

Love Amanda x

gma22
04-09-2005, 08:59 AM
SATURDAY: Today is Sunny Thoughts Saturday. Share your thoughts with us!

I will do pts etc later. Gotta run to the soccer game soon

Faye ;)

Amanda Panda
04-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi all,

Well I had a bit of a wobbly day yesterday - I think PMS is on it's way. I didn't feel up to exercise as was really tired and emotional, and then went 300 cals over my 1600 limit because I bought 150g of full fat brie and ate it all! :T Oh well, today is a new day! I did a review of my week and stayed under 1600 cals for 4 days out of 7, and exercised for 5 days - I feel I am slipping a bit and need to get back to 7 days OP and 6 days exercise. I've found it harder than I thought cutting back to 1600 cals, so it's a bit of a time of transition and I'll get used to it soon.

Have a fab weekend all!

Love Amanda x

Satine
04-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Morning All ... hope you all are doing well, well we went to the neuro surgeon for my dh and he said it is a herniated disc or scar tissue from the back surgery that he had in high school so he suggested that he have a steroid injection epidural, he says that it takes away the pain completely in 6 out of 10 people, now I am praying ( and I need you all to pray ) that he is one of the lucky 6 !!! :goodvibes He is very nervous about having the procedure done and so am I, he has it done on Tuesday afternoon, I will let you all know how it goes... :)

As far as diet goes I did stick to my plan of my first phase which was to not have any soda all this week, and boy did I suffer, the caffiene withdrawal was maddening, the headaches were severe, but I stuck to it ... so now on to phase two tomorrow... :dancer:

Faye - Should be nice weather for dg first soccer practice, have fun!!!

Amanda - You are doing a great job, keep it up, dont worry about the cheese, you will walk or swim it off this week !!! :lol:

Julie - We do miss you, stop in and say "hi" :grouphug:

Everyone else I missed "hi" and everyone have a great weekend!!!

Later!!! :flow2:

gma22
04-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Amanda :bravo: (Thur)

Carri: Hope hubby's news will be good come Tues and he will be fit as a fiddle.

Ok, this morning was good and bad. My grandson was sooooo cute during practice, BUT the soccer park was a huge MUD PIT. I had on dress pants and sandals because I needed to go shopping afterwards. Ruined my shoes, almost slipped and popped my knee out in the mud and yuck, had to endure the brat from **** and she was in fine form. She chewed her dad out in front of strangers practically screaming at him, then ignored us and sucked up to her in-laws the whole time. Not only that, but we didn't bring chairs and had to stand for 1 1/2 hours and my feet, ankles, calves and knees have been screaming ever since. My dd did not even once offer to let me sit down for a few minutes. We went out and bought some chairs, but I am not going back into that mud pit. Hopefully it will be dry Thur for practice. The one thing that was funny is T does NOT like to have dirty hands and of course he had to take his turn as goalie and catch a filthy ball. After the first time, he told the coach, "I am not going to be a goalie anymore because they get dirty hands!" The coach laughed, but he made him do his part. T would come over to his mom after every session and wipe his hands off. They tried to get him to wipe them on his shirt, but he said he didn't want to get dirty (unfortunately, he had fallen in the mud and his whole backside was muddy as well as legs, socks and shoes. :lol: ) I will post a pic as soon as dh downloads them.

Hope you are all having a fine day!

Faye ;)

gma22
04-10-2005, 09:19 AM
SUNDAY: Today is Silly Poll Sunday and our poll this week is, What do you fear most about getting old?

It is going to be a pretty day again today. I have to go to the dreaded commissary and get groceries. UGH!

As for the poll, being what is now considered middle age, having lived over half my life now, able to join AARP and get some seniors discounts, I guess a lot of women would stress out of just being older. My only fear is losing my husband. I can deal with illness, inability to do things, less vision or vision problems, arthritis, whatever, but something happening to my husband would be devastating to me. My dh watched the Notebook after I had gone to bed Friday night and yesterday said to me, "I watched part of that movie." I thought he meant Friday Night Lights as we just got that from Netflix and he has been waiting a long time to see it. I asked if that is what he meant and he said, "No." then a big pause. I said, "Oh, the Notebook. Disturbing isn't it?" He looked at me and had tears in his eyes and said, "It is US." I said, I know. Anyway, sometimes being very very wrapped up with one other person can be difficult when it comes to getting older and facing mortality. DH is convinced that since we both truly believe God brought us together that he will let us die together and not leave one of the other of us alone. I have tried to tell him not to think that way, but haven't ever made any headway. Anyway, that is what scares me about aging.

Everyone have a good day!

Faye ;)

turningleaf4me
04-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi Girls!
Well I blew it...sort of... on Saturday. My mom flew in and we all went to my sis's house, there was food everywhere. I went over my points, but I had all my 35 flex pts I hadn't used so I think i actually did manage to stay OP that day, lol. Yet, I really didnt want to use up my flex pts, but oh well, that's what they're there for. I weighed in today and I am 162lbs, means I lost 3lbs...yay! :) Today i am heading out to go to the movies with a friend, I'll check in later.

About the poll...Although I am 27yrs old now ever since i turned 24yrs old I always worry about wasting my time and not accomplishing much with my life. I know i exaggerate, but still it worries me. For example, once i get my income tax return I want to invest money in the stock market, so I guess my fear is more towards being financially stable when I am older. Which I guess also has to do with the fact, that I am single and although I would like to meet someone lately, (after breaking up with Andy- remember my ex with the drinking problem?) I am just not eager about sharing my life with someone. I find it hard to trust and open up, guess I just need more time, but its been over a yr now. Anyway, dont want to ramble here, hehe.

Amanda- Good girl! Mess up one day, but just pick up on the next day and take it from there. You're doing good.

Carrie-I'll have you and your dh in my thoughts, best of luck.

Faye-Hehe, your dg sounds adorable. Can't wait to see the pics. Oh and the bird i think I'll name it(not sure yet if a girl or boy) Tweedle Lee, lol...just because i can't whistle so I say something that sounds like that and it responds by singing, so think unless i come up with something else it'll be Tweedle Lee, lol. Oh, and sorry to hear your dd is still giving you two a hard time. About the Notebook, I loved that movie!

Julie-I hope you're doing good and that we hear form you soon. :)

Okay girls, enjoy the day!

gma22
04-11-2005, 09:46 AM
MONDAY: Today is Mission Monday and our Mission this week is to make exercise a normal part of our life. It is probably the most difficult thing to find time to do, but the most important. Find time to make exercise part of your life everyday!

Dorothy: I like the name you decided on. It's cute. We had some friends a long time ago that lived in Indiana and had a canary and named him Larry Bird.

Julie: I am beginning to get worried about you now. I don't remember you saying you were going on a trip or anything. I hope that is the case. We need you back here to be part of us!

Everyone have a good day!

Mirabelly
04-11-2005, 12:48 PM
OHMYGAWD!!!!!!! i'M SOOOO BAAACCCKKKKKK!!!!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

What the F#*&)!#@ happened after Easter?????

One minute I get a message that the forum will be down for a few days while 3fc moves to a new server, and the next thing I know I CAN"T LOG ON!!!! I mean, I couldn't even get to the home page...nothing. I couldn't get it on my bookmark, I couldn't get it on the address bar...I coudn't get it in a box, I couldn't get it with a fox!!!! AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

You gals have NO IDEA how crazy it's been not having you to talk to everyday. Just this minute has been the first time I've been able to get onto this site since Easter. I"M NOT IGNORING YOU! I missed you terribly. I tried to get on at least 3 times a day, and I had almost given up hope.

Faye, I really was hoping you would send me a private email just because I didn't want you all to worry about me. I knew you would eventually....

Anyway, phew! It's good to be back. And it's nice to know you missed me too :D

I guess I'm so far behind I won't even try to do individual replies......just thanks for not forgetting about me or giving up on me.

The food/diet thing has been pretty bleh lately. I think I've stayed about the same for the past few weeks. Not really weighing anyway. But it's finally spring here, the ice is almost gone from the water....and since I just got back on here, I guess it's a sign to get my butt back in gear and start working! :lol:

Okay, I could just stay here and chat all day....but I'm sewing myself a pair of leopard print jeans and I want to get them done.

Bye ladies! And I'm so happy to be back!!

Julie

turningleaf4me
04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Yay!!! Welcome back Julie!!!
Glad to hear everything is well with you ands way to go on your weight progress, 49lbs!! Good for you.

I'll check in later. Day's going pretty good so far.

gma22
04-11-2005, 01:54 PM
YEAH, OUR JULIE IS HERE AGAIN!

Julie: Carri and I had talked back and forth, but I don't have your e-mail address. At least, I can't find it anywhere. I looked everywhere so we could try and contact you. I was to the pt where I was going to asked C if she still had your home address from when she sent you the gift card and I was going to snail mail you. We were worried something had happened to the family or to you. Gotta tell ya I was real nervous.

I had heard 3fc went to a new server, but I didn't have any trouble during the whole time getting in so I don't know what's up with that!

It is nasty thunderstorms, wet and icky here today so I do what I always do.....anybody want to take a guess???? :lol: :lol: :lol: It took time to get the floors dry though so I put fans on them. They are still a little sticky from the humidity of the rain but at least they are clean and dry. It is so boring here today, I may just clean the upstairs today too. I am doing my sheets a day early. My life is such a bore! :lol:

You gals have a wonderful day, you hear?

Faye ;)

Satine
04-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Afternoon All - Hope everyone is doing well, I am good except worrying about my dh and tomorrows procedure, he is worried as well and scared, so that makes me feel worse, like I cannot help him...I tried to make a joke and tell him that we could get his favorite ice cream after but he was not having it
ha ha :lol:

Silly poll for Sunday, I think the thing I worry about most is when to have or not to have kids, I seem to be getting older quickly, when I was 27 I said I would wait until I was 29 , then I hit 29 and said that I would not have one past 31, now I am 31 and still not ready... it scares me to think that by the time I may be ready I may be too old!! :D I would only do it when I was really wanting one and I have not had that feeling yet, maybe I never will
who knows...I guess I wait for now...Lord knows I got enough on my plate :)

Dorothy - I am glad you are back because now I have another on here that is doing WW as well!! :) Good job on your loss, you are doing great!!!

Faye - I have not seen the Notebook but everyone tells me how much I need to see it, I would boo hoo I know...I think what your husband said was so sweet, you are a lucky couple...my dh and I are alot like that as well...

Amanda - HI!!!! :cool:

Hope you all have a great day, I will not be able to post tomorrow as dh is having his back procedure, but will try to check back in the next couple of days and let you know how it went.

Bye for now ...

Satine
04-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeah Julie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad To Hear From You........

Mirabelly
04-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Okay ladies...
Just for you. Find some "alone" time, and go to this link:

http://www.brawnyman.com/innocentescapes/indexbroadband.html

Then click on the tab that says "premade" greetings.....

They take a while to load unless you have high-speed internet. But it's worth the wait!

DO NOT drink anything while you're watching this! Unless you want it going through your nose :lol:

Julie

gma22
04-12-2005, 06:37 AM
TUESDAY: Today is Target Tuesday and our target this week is giving to others. When we are less self absorbed about ourselves and concentrate on others, we are more effective in what we want to do for ourselves. Sounds silly and wrong but it is true. Find a way to help someone else out this week, here or at home, with friends or with family. It takes your mind off your own troubles and helps to free yourself for just a little while.

check back in later ladies. Had a rough night and little sleep

Mirabelly
04-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Okay, did I say it was finally spring?

It's been snowing here all day :(

I got 4 points yesterday.......fighting the urge to just eat anything I can get ahold of today, though. It's the weather, I know it.

Hope everyone's doing well.
Julie

Amanda Panda
04-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi all,

Been MIA for a day or two - I'm busy playing computer games, they are very addictive! Been staying on track with exercise and water, but struggling with food because of PMS.

YAY!! JULIE'S BACK!! - That is bad that you couldn't log on to 3FC - I'm glad you are back now.I had a quick look at that site, but even with my high speed 12 mbps broadband connection, it took forever to load and I lost patience after the first one. I saw the 'thinking of you' one which was quite funny - I love the way the pudding disappeared!

CARRI - Hope DH's steroid injection went okay and he is not in any pain.

Everyone else - hello!

Back to my game!

Love Amanda x

gma22
04-13-2005, 07:20 AM
WEDNESDAY: Today is Wednesday's Woes. What do you have to gripe about today?

Carri: We are anxious to hear how your hubby is doing today after his time at the hospital/dr office yesterday. Hope it all went well.

Back later girls

Faye ;)

turningleaf4me
04-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi Girls!

I'm still staying OP and drinking my water, but no actual exercise yet. I do walk around during my lunch break, but thats about it. I am planning on buying a bike though, so hopefully that's get me out and going.

Carrie-Hope ur dh is doing fine. Thinking of you two. Oh and great we're both doing WW. If you stick to it, it really does work doesn't it, hehe.

Work's been nuts for me lately...will try and pop back in later. Take care girls.

Oh today's woe for me is: Not sure if the diet change triggered it but TOM is acting up by presenting itself more than necessary, ugh! I have PCOS and it sucks! hehe...it had regulated for quite a while now, except now its acting up again.

Satine
04-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Afternoon All, do not have time to chat just wanted to get in real quick and give you an update on dh, he is doing well, actually he is napping right now, the procedure went well, although he said it was quite painful. The dr said that we will not know the full effect of the injection until about 5-10 days, so now we wait. Great, more waiting ... :)

Well check back in with you all later, have a great day!!!

Amanda Panda
04-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi all,

Well I had a complete blow out yesterday - had loads of chocolate and cheese and didn't even bother trying to write down my calories! I did exercise though, so I get 2 points for that and water.

I feel like I'm really struggling to stay OP with food - things haven't been brilliant since the end of Feb, and although I'm not gaining weight, I'm not losing much either. I need to get my butt into gear foodwise as sooner or later my weight is going to start creeping up again if I don't sort it out! I'll get this PMS out of the way, then I'm going to get really strict, otherwise I'll have to postpone the wedding!

Have a good evening all,

Love Amanda x

QuilterInVA
04-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Good afternoon to all of you - have not done very well for the past 3 days. Just can't seem to get a handle on it. The scale has stayed the same so I'm not eating completely out of control, but I'm not making the best choices - bread (although it was from a great bakery) and tea do not make an acceptable snack when you eat 4 slices of bread. Exercise is good for today and water, but 2 days prior have been raining so couldn't walk. I do get some exercise at work - about 15 trips a day up and down the stairs and back and forth between the buildings. Well - back on CORE and no more of this messing around.

Carri - glad your husband came through okay and pray for the success of the injection.

gma22
04-14-2005, 09:56 AM
THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday and that means you need to take at least an hour just for you sometime today!

TUESDAY PTS:

Amanda: We all have crappy days. You are doing absolutely great so keep up the good work!

Carri: I am glad the procedure went well and I am sure this will be just the trick to get him up and going again. We will continue to pray for him.

Susan: Weight loss is one of those darn things we can never let our guard down. Always have to be vigilent, darn it! :lol:

I am supposed to have glazers here today to repair some windows, but they never showed up yesterday so I don't know. I hope everyone has a good day. T has soccer practice tonight so I hope the field is not a stream, UGH, poor joke. I have these little rubber shoes that I am going to wear or at least take along to wear when the fields are wet from now on.

Have a good day everyone

lateralus98
04-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Can I please join your group? It seems really positive and encouraging.

gma22
04-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Lateral: You are of course most welcome here. We are positive, positively goofy, positively positive that sooner or later we will get this weight off and positive that we can do this. We are glad to have you. The ladies here are wonderful so just join in on the topics, pts, whatever you wish.

Faye ;)

Mirabelly
04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Welcome Lateral! I'm Julie...I belly dance and write and I'm a little :dizzy:

Well, ladies...I just got back here and now I'm leaving again. I'll be in Virginia for a week letting the kids visit grandma. We only get to see my mom once a year or so. THey can't wait!

I just got back from the grocery store with lots of healthy snacks and sandwich fixin's so we don't have to eat crappy road food.

Everyone have a great week! I'll see you back in 10 days.
Julie

QuilterInVA
04-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Where does grandma live in Virginia - I'm in Tidewater.

A big welcome to our newest member. Let us know a little about you and join right in.

I'm better today - exercise and water. Food is still not where I want it to be.

Amanda Panda
04-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm giving myself 4 points for yesterday - I went about 150 cals over my 1600, but I'm making allowances for the PMS, and it's the lowest I've managed in a few days!

CARRI - Glad the procedure is over and DH can rest up. I will pray that it is effective and stops the pain.

JULIE - Enjoy your week away! Hope you get on with your mother, otherwise it could be a very long 10 days!

SUSAN - I love bread too, especially during PMS and TOM. Well done for getting straight back on track - I suppose after 196lb lost, you are allowed an off day or two!

FAYE - Are you still getting on that treadmill? How are you doing with your food?

LATERAL - Hi there! You are most welcome to join us! We are a close group and we all support eachother through the good and bad. Faye will post our intro's, although they maybe a bit out of date now - I keep meaning to update mine! Tell us a little about yourself!

Hi to Dorothy and Nikki!

Love Amanda x

gma22
04-15-2005, 08:01 AM
FRIDAY: Today is Fabulous Futuristic Friday. Come one girls and tell me something you want to wear, buy, go to, etc when you have lost lbs.

Lat: Here are the groups stats, though some of the ladies have never sent me anything so they aren't on here. Like Amanda said, these are dated, except for mine so they may be a little older or some of their circumstances might have changed a little.

Hi, my name is Faye, I am 51, have been married 32 years to a wonderful and totally supportive man, have two grown children, Jack, who is 31 who got married April 10, 2004, and Kelly, who is 27, married and has given me an adorable grandson, Thomas who will be 5 in June. We live in Memphis now, but were in the Navy for 20 years and moved all over the place. I have a Yorkie named Fortune and a cat named Butterscotch. I am stay at home, but plan on starting my own candle business in the fall. My husband Jack, works for the city of Memphis.

Julie

35 year old, stay-at-home mom of 3 (9,8,and 4). I live in Maine with my husband and the kids. My highest weight ever was 265 (I was pregnant at the time). I started at 3FC at 241, am currently around 238, and my goal is to be in the low 160s. I am working toward a smaller goal of being under 200 pounds by the end of the year.

Carri ( Satine ) - Hi! I am a 30 year old female, married to my high school sweetheart for 9 1/2 years, no kids but one adorable little westie dog named Les. Have lived in Indiana all of my life. Started to gain my weight right after I was married, I got comfortable and lazy...anyhow have been doing a great job lately, focused and need to lose about 90 pounds for goal. Great to meet you!!!

Hi my name is Amanda. I am 30 years old and live in Sheffield, which is in the north of England, although I am hoping to move to Ireland soon. I have a long term partner, Nigel and a cat called Marley.I am a qualified social worker,currently unemployed. I am a Christian and a vegetarian. My hobbies are reading, especially thrillers, watching comedy on T.V and making cards. I also enjoy going to the gym, although I feel it is too early to call that a hobby!

I have just over 100lbs to lose, but seeing all the successes on these forums is a great inspiration and I know I will do it - and you can too!
The rest of you, just tell her about yourself and I will steal what you put off your post and put it in the stats folder.

Julie: Have fun with "grandma" in Virginia. Beautiful state so I am sure you will enjoy yourself. I lived in Va Beach twice, been down to Charlottesville, Lynchburg that area too and it is gorgeous in those mountains.

PTS:

Amanda :bravo:
Susan :dancer:

Amanda: Honestly, I have done nothing for a few weeks now. I am not going to make excuses, just that I am having a really hard time with my allergies now and leave it at that. I told dh that next week I have to get back to what I was doing whether I feel like it or not. Thank you for thinking of me, I really appreciate it.

Everyone go out and make this a great day

Faye

QuilterInVA
04-15-2005, 09:55 AM
I am 63 years old, married for 32 of those. I have no children but one spoiled cat, Cupid because he has a white heart in the dark grey fur on his back. We've lived in Yorktown VA since 1987, moving here from Akron Ohio. My husband is disabled now but was a chef.

I originally joined WW in 1971, weighing a whopping 356 pounds and lost 214 pounds over the next 2 years to reach my goal weight of 142. I kept it off and worked for WW as a meeting leader until we moved to VA. 6 years ago I was diagnosed with severe asthma and put on pednisone, I also quit smoking immediately upon that diagnosis, and my thyroid decided to start dying a few months later (dr. said it was probably affected by the prednisone). So to make long story short, I ballooned up to 192. Started working with a dietician and went back to WW and did manage to get back to 175 but couldn't get below that. Points and I had a very hard time. Last year when Core came out I jumped on the band wagon with my RDAs blessing and I've lost 15 pounds. I had my goal raised to 155 since I'm now a lot older than before. You would think I could lose 5 pounds, but it is hard work. My thyroid continues dying and I have to keep having my meds increased. I'm on inhaled steroids for my asthma. My goal is to get to 155 by the end of the year.

QuilterInVA
04-15-2005, 11:18 AM
I found this to be an interesting article, since it seems to be the premises behind WW Core Pland and South Beach. Just some food for thought. I do know that this is how I eat 99% of the time and feel great. When I don't, well, that's another story.

April 14, 2005

New Study Suggests Being 'Choosy' About Carbohydrates and Other Foods May Be More Important Than Counting Calories
Most people who are trying to lose weight start by counting calories -- even weighing and measuring out precise portions. But a new study suggests you might be more successful if you focus on changing the types of foods you eat. Researchers at Chicago-based Radiant Research found that overweight and obese adults who focused on choosing the "right" type of carbohydrates (high-fiber, whole-grain, low-glycemic) lost more weight and body fat compared to dieters who adopted a low-fat, portion-controlled plan.

"The results showed that by modifying the amount and type of carbohydrates and increasing lean sources of protein, people were able to lose almost twice the amount of weight and body fat as people who followed a more traditional approach of counting calories and limiting portions," said lead researcher Kevin Maki, Ph.D., who presented his findings at the Experimental Biology scientific conference, Abstract # 448.5.

Dr. Maki and colleagues evaluated the weight loss of 86 overweight/obese men and women, ages 18 to 65, who followed two different diets for 12 weeks. One group was on a traditional low-fat diet and decreased portion sizes to shave off at least 500 calories a day.

The second group was told simply to eat until hunger was satisfied. They were instructed to follow a "modified-carbohydrate diet. These participants changed the type and amount of carbohydrates -- replaced refined grains with the slower-digesting and more nutrient-rich whole grains -- and focused on lean sources of protein.

Impact of Modifying Carbohydrates

The dieters on the modified-carbohydrate eating plan lost significantly more weight and body fat compared to their counterparts on the low-fat, portion-controlled diet. They also experienced significant improvements in triglycerides and the ratio of total to HDL or "good" cholesterol. Research suggests improving these factors are linked to a reduced risk of heart disease.

"Adopting an eating plan that includes a moderate intake of carbohydrates with an emphasis on nutrient-rich whole grains appears to enhance weight loss," Dr. Maki said.

Calorie Balance

The participants in the study who followed the modified carbohydrate approach tended to consume fewer calories than those on the portion-controlled plan, even though they were not counting calories and were instructed to eat until hunger was satisfied.

"Our results add to the growing body of evidence suggesting that modifying the quantity and quality of carbohydrates in the diet and changing the types of food you eat may have important influences on regulating calorie balance," Dr. Maki said.

While the reasons dieters on the modified-carbohydrate plan consumed fewer calories are not fully explained, Dr. Maki said one hypothesis relates to the satiety value of the meal plan. Participants may have experienced greater feelings of fullness so they ate less, he said.

gma22
04-16-2005, 08:39 AM
SATURDAY: today is Sunny Thoughts Saturday. A day to share stories, jokes, etc to make each other smile.

back later girls. Have T's first soccer game today.

Amanda Panda
04-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Hi all

I had another bad day yesterday - I seem to be doing 'one day on, one day off' this week! I'm having a better day today, so far anyway - I've just come back from a 35 min walk and 40 min swim and have cooked a healthy lunch of noodles and veggies.

FAYE - I think that most of the time you are so busy supporting the rest of us, you forget to ask for support or advice yourself. I think it's a good idea for you to set a date and commit to re-starting. I've also been slacking in the food department and am going to really shake things up next week. I really need to get this weight shifting - I only lost 4lb last month, and this month is going much the same way. If I carry on like this I will be nowhere near my goal weight by my wedding. I know you had a goal weight for your vegas trip - so lets get moving! :coach:

SUSAN - That article was very interesting, thank you. That 'Low GI' way of eating is all the rage over here at the moment and I'm definately going to try it out. I like it because it doesn't tell you to cut carbs out altogether, which I could never do! I like wholegrain food anyway, although I haven't been buying it recently (apart from bread & breakfast cereal) because it is twice the price of white carbs and money is really tight at the moment. I am intending to switch completely to wholegrain pasta and rice and have told my partner - luckily he'll eat just about anything I put in front of him, so it's not a problem.

Have a lovely weekend

Love Amanda xx

gma22
04-17-2005, 11:00 AM
SUNDAY: Today is Silly Poll Sunday and our Poll this week is what would be hardest for you to do without if something happened to you, sight, ability to talk, hearing, a missing limb, what?

Have a great day girls

Faye ;)

gma22
04-18-2005, 08:53 AM
MONDAY: Today is Mission Monday and our mission this week is to work on why we are continuing to overeat, ignore our program, etc. If we are not staying with our program, it is either not working, we need a change, or we have issues we are not dealing with and we are eating instead. Let's work this week to smooth out what is going on with us and get back where we need to be.

I will check back in later

Faye ;)

QuilterInVA
04-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Good morning. 4 points for Saturday, 2 for yesterday.

Amanda, I seem to be like you - one day on and one day off and it's leading nowhere. One of my problems is I let myself get too hungry and then I can't seem to stop eating once I get started...and even though it's healthy stuff, the calories add up fast. Mainly I do this on the weekend - running errands and not having food available. I'm going to start keeping some carrots and an apple in the car when I run errands on the weekend and then I'll have a decent snack.

I am happy to say I did get exercise in both days.

Up in the high 70s this week so those baggy winter clothes have to come off (so some pounds had better follow).

Amanda Panda
04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Hello folks,

Well I have given myself a well needed kick up the jacksy and am giving it 100% from now on - well from yesterday actually, I had a really good day and am pleased to claim my 4 points.

I'm trying something new to try to shake things up a bit and give my weight loss a boost - I'm still counting calories, but I'm changing my lunchtime meals. Usually I almost always have a sandwich, or something on toast - but now I am cutting bread out and having protein (egg, feta, cottage cheese, mixed beans) and a big salad. I'll then have a normal tea which will be wholemeal pasta or rice etc. I know it would be better to cut out the carbs from the evening meal, but thatis the meal I share with Nigel and he would not be happy to cut outthe carbs - so skipping them at lunch is a compromise. I've heard good things about just having protein and veg, so I'm hoping it will get my weight shifting! I'll see how it goes anyway, and figure that even if I stick to it for 5 days out of 7, it should make a difference.

Spent yesterday evening making a birthday card for my nephew - I am really pleased with it, it has a big red '2' in the middle, some balloons at the top and a caterpillar made of little pom poms crawling across the bottom. It also has his name across the top - I just hope my sister realises that he can't play with it, because it won't last 2 minutes in a excitable 2 year olds hands!

Have a good OP day ladies,

Love Amanda x

QuilterInVA
04-18-2005, 11:45 AM
:bravo: Amanda - sounds like you have a plan. I usually do carbs at breakfast and dinner (my husband won't do without them at dinner). Works for me.

Have 32 oz. of water in so far and walking on my lunch hour so I've got the day planned.

gma22
04-18-2005, 01:10 PM
POINTS POINTS:

Amanda :bravo:
Susan :bravo: :dancer:

I am doing a purifying today so I am sick and icky. I need to get junk out of my system and know it will probably take a couple days. I am trying to get a lot of water into my body as I haven't had a lot lately.

As for programs, I think you just have to keep working until you find the combo that works for you. Some people do better with carbs some better with less.

My problem is clearly emotional and physical and I have to again work at these issues and get them settled at least as far as my well being is concerned. I am struggling, but that doesn't mean I give up. I never give up, even when I think about it, I toss it away easily. That is one thing at least I have in my favor that I don't give up when I am doing badly or having a hard time, I just weather the storm and come back. Today I am desperately tired and irritable, but I think a nap might help and some more water to continue to get stuff "flushed" out.

Everyone have a good day! You are doing a great job!

faye :)

Satine
04-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Afternoon All , well I officially went back on my program yesterday and made it one full day without cheating, yeahhhhhh!!! :D So I am with you all about re-committing myself to this weight loss thing. My little sister is getting married in Sept and I am to be the maid of honor and I want to look better than the bride!! Just kidding!! Or am I ?? :s:

Anyhow I am also detoxing Faye, drinking alot of water and hoping to stave off the hunger headache for the first few days back OP ...

Amanda - I am going to try and cut down on carbs as well where I can, I do not want to low carb on everything but I need to stay away from bread more, Oprah Winfrey says to "not eat anything white", but i would have to have some of it, sometime anyway, or I would crack... I love bread and butter so much!!

Thanks for all of your prayers for my dh..he actually said that his back was feeling better this weekend, so keep your fingers crossed that it will continue to get better ...

Julie, Dorothy, and Susan - Hi to all !!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

turningleaf4me
04-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi Girls!
Sorry I've been missing in action, but boss is away and its up to me to hold down the "fort". I've been sticking to the program. Not doing so good with water. I will try and focus on that this week and TOM was here so the I am waiting for tomorrow to weigh in.

Welcome Lateral...these girls are great. Best of Luck!

Catch you girls later.

gma22
04-19-2005, 07:25 AM
DO NOT POST HERE BUT JOIN US AT #102