South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #1  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Default I have 2 questions and not sure where to ask

I restarted South Beach this week after following a low fat diet for the past month or 2. My question is...I have done well with phase 1 this time (day 3), no cheats, but I don't feel that yucky flu-like withdrawal that I did the last time I did South Beach. Does that mean I'm not detoxing? I am kinda tired, but I really feel pretty good. The last time I did phase 1 I wasnt exercising at all and now I go anywhere from 4-6 days a week. Not sure if that makes a difference?

My 2nd question is... I bought some premade, frozen turkey burgers and wondered if they were ok. They are 160 cals, 9 gms of fat, no sugar added and on the ingredient list it said "Turkey and Spices" I hope they're ok b/c they are cheap, easy, quick and yummy!! LOL

THANKS!!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 PM   #2  
Trapped Skinny Person

My 2 cents

Since you have been following a diet for the past couple months, your system probably doesn't require the same amount of detoxing as it did last time. Also note that you may not lose as much this time for the same reason.

Dr A says the main goal of Phase 1 is to get rid of cravings - once that is accomplished you can go on to Phase 2 - so if your cravings are gone after one week (since you had previously been eating well) then you can jump right into Phase 2.

As for the turkey burgers - they sound WAY too high in fat to me. No sugar is good but these burgers are more than 50% fat.

I try to aim for no more than 25% fat per serving. If you only have them once per week that should be ok. I have found "quick & easy" usually equals high fat/high sodium.

Formula for figuring out the % from fat follows:

Each grams of fat equals 9 calories - so 9 grams of fat = 81 calories
50% of 160 calories = 80 calories (25% of 160 cals = 40 cals)

Hope that helped some.

Kim
Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome back. I'd not worry about not feeling like you are detoxing.
Stick to Phase I for the full two weeks this time, OK?

As to the turkey burgers, they probably contain dark meat which is a no-no so I'd just keep them frozen and use them up intermittently on Phase II. Do they list the actual seasonings? Sometimes salt or some of the "-use" or "-ol" ingedients sneak in there.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #4  
We're TTC!!

Thanks for your help Kim and Ruth!

I really did wonder about the turkey burgers. As for the seasonings...it didnt indicate what kind they use. Oh well, they would be good for an occasional quick dinner, like you said, once a week. I am trying to stick to more chicken and tuna but it tends to get boring. I may just buy some lean ground turkey or chicken and make a burger out that when I'm in the mood for a burger. Thanks again!!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:37 PM   #5  

That is one reason that I use ground beef rather than ground chicken or turkey. I can get ground beef that is 93% lean and sometimes 98% lean. But the only ground turkey or chicken is not labelled as to how lean it is and does not say that it comes from white meat only.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #6  
We're TTC!!

I seriously never thought of that Barb. When I use beef in a recipe I use the leanest. So, now on second thought when I want a burger I better stick with beef. You ladies are so helpful, thanks so much!
Closed Thread