Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 197 April 4 - 10

Rise and shine LWL
Did everyone remember to change back to daylight savings time? The household grumps are still bemoaning their missing hour, but I'm happy.

I'm off to take ds to school with a giant poster which won't survive a bus ride, then to the gym for chest and cardio and a full day of clients. This week is going to be crazy, and I think the next few weeks look about the same

Scale is down another pound, so I'm actually back to my signature! Yipee!

Have a good one,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Mel ! and the rest of the LWL crew!

The scale is not down for me this morning BUT it's not UP either ...

I haven't exercised since last Tuesday when the allergy fiasco started, today I will go this afternoon because the air conditioning guys are here to install central air this morning... I'm a happy camper I finally convinced DH to get air, and in the fall we will install a gas fireplace ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Mel, I saw a chick at the gym that needs YOUR help, bad. First time I saw her was 60 pounds ago. She is a cardio junkie. I saw her Sunday and I was like, girl, lift some weights PLEASE. She runs around the track non-stop for over and hour, but doesn't lift any weight heavier than 35-40 pounds and has been doing this since she started last year. She complained that there is no way to firm up her arms so I told her to lift heavier weights. She just laughed and said she is lifting and it doesn't work.

Cheerleading starts today - we have coaches training tonight. I found out Saturday that I will be teaching the cheer jumps portion of our camp. So, I moved my leg day to Mondays so I won't be too sore on Thursdays to teach.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Tiki -- I'd love to shake some sense into women who say things like that!! ARGH, keep showing by example, she may notice your buff arms someday and ask how you managed that, and you can go into your shpeal of how great weight training is...
Old 04-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #5  

If you shook her, her arm flab would KNOCK YOU OUT!

Tiki
Old 04-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

OH MY
Old 04-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #7  

Hey everybody, happy spring!

I have a "friend" who says stuff like that about fitness. She's rather heavy and goes on and on about how she tries and tries to exercise but it just doesn't work for her. Believe me, I know it's hard, but when someone says stuff like "when I lift weights, I just get bigger, I never lose any fat" it's hard to take it seriously.

I was down 4/10 of a pound at WI Friday, probably just the post-TMI adjustment, but at least it wasn't up! And it's leg day today and no longer raining.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #8  

It was a good week for me. I added 10 more pounds to most of my lift stations. So now, for example, I'm bench pressing 40, where I started at 20 about 6 weeks ago. Plus there was that whole "I got a new muscle!" thing. My clothes are starting to fit looser, even one of my friends at work commented about it.

I also don't get it when I hear about people who don't want to lift heavy. I mean, when I'm lifting weights, I want to feel like it's a challenge, with every single set of 15, to get through it. I want to be panting at the end of it. I mean, as long as I am devoting the time to it, I may as well make that time really count, no?

I guess some people just don't think that the discomfort of doing this is worth the effort. Though I'm not sure why that would be.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Tealeaf -- I don't get it either when people say they don't want to lift heavy... Isn't it better to be big and muscular than big and flabby? That's the way I look at it anyways... or worse small and flabby!!
Old 04-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #10  

Wow, it sounds like everyone has started this week off on a high note. I am right there with you - the sun is finally out and it is warming up nicely. Cherry Blossoms are supposed to be at peak this week and DH is taking off Wed so we can have a "date" and enjoy them in the middle of the week in the middle of the afternoon. *sigh* What a great guy!

I took my tender ankles on their first walk/run in a week and I feel pretty good so far. No pain, felt good to move like that again. Had a good back/shoulders workout too. 3 weeks until my 5K and I feel I should be able to finish. I wnated to be able to run the whole thing, but now I am happy just to do it.

Only sad thing right now is my Nationals are down 7-3, but that means the Phillies are winning, so Mel should be happy. I am just so happy to have Baseball back in DC, I don't need a winning season (but it sure would be nice).

We went to yesterday's exhibition game against the Mets. Our seats are FABULOUS! 300 section right behind home plate. The only bad thing is the food choices at RFK - nothing I would call healthy, not even a grilled chicken sandwich - and to make matters worse, no outside food allowed in. So our game plan is to eat dinner at 4:30 (yikes) for a 7pm game and snack when we get home with a few peanuts and popcorn at the game. Anyone have any other suggestions?
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #11  
Mel

Ellen- I sneak food into every venue I enter. Worse case, take your chicken breast and some sort of carb, wrap it up, stuff it into an empty tampon box and get a BIG PURSE. NO security guard has ever looked in a box of tampons! Big purses are my salvation. I'm not a baseball fan, but I'm glad the Phillies are up

Tealeaf- I don't get it either. Usually when a client tells me on their first session that they don't want to lift heavy because they don't want to bulk up, I peel off my sweatshirt and show off my puny biceps, roll up my pants leg and show my chicken leg calves. Then tell them what I lift. It pretty much ends the "bulking up" discussion. Most bulk on women (unless they are very genetically gifted, have screwy hormones, or are drug enhanced) is fat in top of and through muscle.

Ilene- Yay for air conditioning! That should help your allergies in the summer if you keep your windows shut and put a good filter on the AC.

Time to get eat-
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Mel -- I never thought of an AC and my allergies... Verrry good point ...

Ellen -- When you mentionned your 5k it reminded me that I am doing a 10k at the end of the month too... OYE I better get crackin'... It won't be a fast one but I do know I can finish it...

I didn't make it to the gym today AGAIN !!! The AC guys stayed too late then DD had a synchro show... Tomorrow is another day. Food was spot on though...Tomorrow the carpet cleaning guy comes, but he should be here only for about an hour and afterwards I going to the gym!!

TTFN
Old 04-05-2005, 12:55 AM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

I didn't want to post here about going to the gym today until I'd actually done it - got burned with that last week! But I did go straight from work today and did a great legs workout - no need to lower any weights! Cardio was a little harder and I didn't go as long or as fast as I had been before I got sick, but I'm happy to report that my MP3 player works great! I should be able to be back at my prior levels within the week I expect.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:44 AM   #14  

Hi all,

Got up in time for my AM cardio. I knew at bedtime that I didn't feel like going to the gym cause I wanted to sleep at least a full 7 hours. So...I started my morning with Billy Blanks himself. Man those kicks and knee raises are ROUGH to do on the morning after leg day. However now my legs are nicely loosened up so walking around at work shouldn't be as hard. I am also walking to Toys R Us on my lunch break to exchange a gift for DS so that should also help with the soreness.

Looking at Fit Day, I realized that I need to tweak my eating a bit more. Protein is fine, but I am getting in too much fat. So since I know today is a long day, I cooked and packed leaner healthier foods to have throughout the day.

Tiki.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #15  

hi LWL,

Sounds like everyone is of to a good weeks start.

Tiki, I admire your forethought and planning if i read the fitday and tweak scenario. AND you also teach cheerleader jumps ? Wow! I always admire those feats, they all look so coordinated!

Ellenuw: I would sneak in food to the game. Worst thing that can happen is tat they take the food right ? And as mel says, your choice of box heavily influences if they want to look into it.

Started yesterday off well, 20 mins row, 40 mins jog, 20 mins bike. Today I had a morning appointment, 20 mins row, 30 mins jog but I also just biked 10 kms to get my daughter from school. Food is reasonable. 1 belgian chocolate yesterday and probabely ine again today.

My garden is starting to get in bloom, and I guess i have birds nestling in my birdhouse. They keep flying to and fro.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

Ilene, way to go to get AC ! This must be easier on your allergies.

Mel, busy as always.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote