Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-04-2005, 05:44 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers - April 4 - 10

GOOD MORNING!

Wake up, Maintainers, it's a brand new week!

I'm off to the doctor's to get my toes looked at again. About a year and a half ago, I hurt two toes in an ill-advised attempt at a Step Aerobics class and they've nagged at me since then. I got them checked out a year ago and my doctor said 'tendonitis' and gave me anti-inflammatories, which didn't do anything but make me gain weight. Now they've gotten to the point where they hurt even in my gym shoes, so it's time to get them looked at again. They're not painful at all with no pressure on them - they only hurt when I walk. Thank heavens for no-impact cardio, like the elliptical and crosstrainer!

So today's going to be a whirlwind of clients, doctor's appointment, and a major grocery shopping. DS was home last week and cleaned the house out like a plague of locusts.

Check in and let us know how you're doing!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:07 AM   #2  

Hi Meg and all the other maintainers,

It's a brand new week, 7 new days, 7 new chances!.
I slipped up on food last weekend, so I really need all those new chances. Anyway, I'll try again to keep to my clean food resolutions, but it is hard not to snack, to resist a little taste of this or a little piece of that. The scales are stuck again at a point I thought I had passed 2 pounds ago. It is like I am loosing and regaining those same 2 pounds now since januari !.

HOwever, I flatter myself that maybe I look a little leaner, a tiny bit more definition in the face, the legs, the arms. So I'll just keep it up.
Cardio today: did 20 mins row, 40 mins jog, 20 mins bike.
The weather is gorgeous out here. Bright and sunny, with the magnolia in the garden in full bloom and the fruit trees looking like they are going to follow suit.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:09 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
It's a brand new week, 7 new days, 7 new chances!.
I slipped up on food last weekend, so I really need all those new chances. Anyway, I'll try again to keep to my clean food resolutions, but it is hard not to snack, to resist a little taste of this or a little piece of that. The scales are stuck again at a point I thought I had passed 2 pounds ago. It is like I am loosing and regaining those same 2 pounds now since januari !.
Ditto, verbatim, Rabbit you took the words right out of my mouth...

Just a drive by post I'm waiting for the air condition guys, yes we are getting central air this year WOOHOO ... I haven't eaten yet, gotta goooo...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #4  

Hi Maintainers! Spring Break is outta here and so is my relaxed attitude toward my eating! I'm looking forward to sharing a very strong week with all of you!

Meg, good luck with your toes!
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #5  

Good morning everybody!
I hope my good mood will cross thru the wire and will reach all of you who needs it now! It is sunny here and smells like spring!

The end of last week was nice - I signed up my 15 y.o. DD for gym membership - after trying in rec centers for a week with classes beeing cancelled I figured out that gym membership will cost me less plus we can go together. Amazingly enough my DH agreed and also said that he can go with DD once a week. So we had a great workout on Saturday and we are going for the class on Tuesday.

Otherwise I was not so consious yesterday abotu what I eat - we were eating out the whole day as DH was rewiring our house and we were out of electricity... In whole I did good choices but still I am almost sure that I ate more calories than I wanted.

This week is going to be a bit stressful - my boss is in town and usually it makes it all a bit hectic... Also, new routines for after-soccer season are in order - hence my plans are a bit unclear.

Have a nice week everyone, don't stress out and enjoy your food and exercise - enjoy yourself
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #6  

Hi Guys:
All the postive energy is great.
Seems everyone is in a good place this week. I am feeling loads better and appreciate all the support. Thanks.
Exercise is my objective this week. Seems like I have "exercise deficit disorder"
I lose my focus very easily.
Rabbit: Non scale results are more acurate than scale results, so enjoy and your new slimness.(Remind me of this when I get on the scale.)
Take care all
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:55 AM   #7  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg4242
Exercise is my objective this week. Seems like I have "exercise deficit disorder"
at Exercise Deficit Disorder! I usually have Food Deficit Disorder - or maybe it's Food EXCESS Disorder or Healthy Food Deficit Disorder. But yesterday was a near perfect day, food-wise, and I managed to stay under 1300 calories. Did cardio and then quickie shoulders later when a client cancelled. Shooting for another good day today.

I found out that my toe problem is something called Morton's Neuroma. The way it was explained to me is that it's like carpal tunnel syndrome in your toes. The nerve that goes to my third and fourth toes is impinged by inflammation (probably from that stupid step aerobics injury). Unfortunately, it won't go away with anti-inflammatories or shoe inserts. So I got a whopping shot of cortisone in my foot - OUCH! - and have to go back in two weeks. If two or three shots of cortisone don't work, I'll either have to live with it or have some minor surgery.

The cortisone shot yesterday only made things feel worse, not better. It was tough being on my feet in the gym last night; hopefully it will be better today. Of course, the doctor did say that it would be helpful to stay off my feet ... riiiiiight .... But I will try to stay out of real shoes as much as possible. Good thing I work in a gym!

It sounds like a little sunshine and warm weather are brightening up everyone's mood. It's only eight weeks until Memorial Day weekend - the start of summer - so I'm with Karyn Lee on re-focusing.

Have a great day!
Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 AM   #8  

Hi maintainers,

Spring is in the air! I notice a lot of positive thinking on the thread and i completely agree. How can one be pessimistic if the sun is out and the garden is bursting in bloom ?

Ilene.. thanks for the encouragement and I hope your AC is in now.

Gina.. thanks, and I will remember your wise words when you get on the scale.

Meg.. sorry to hear about the toes, that sounds really painfull. is there no way of stretching or fysiotherapy that could help ??

Hi to Sashenka and Karynlee, sounds you guys are doing great.

Today went well sofar both foodwise and excercise wise: did 20 mins row, 30 mins jog this morning because i had a morning appointment, then biked 10 kms (flat stretch) to get my daughter from school.

Have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #9  
Mel

I too have a Food Excess Disorder, seemingly on alternate days. Maybe just my way of zig-zagging my calories Food is on plan, but some days, I just eat too much of it.

This week I've found two new obsessions, both of which could be highly dangerous: inline skates and Norstrom's Rack. I bought a pair of skates, dug around for padds and a helmet in the garage, and LOVE IT! after about 10 minutes of going in wobbly circles on Sunday evening, my legs were sore on Monday like I'd done leg day I thought I was hardly doing anything, but holy smoly, that hits the muscles in a whole different way! When I told my boss about it, he rolled his eyes, groaned, and suggested maybe I better give him my client list and contact phone numbers. I'm not known as the most coordinated person on the planet

Nordstrom's Rack is a whole different world of dangerous I was hoping to find workout clothes, but the only thing left at the end of the season seems to be size extra large I did haul off a couple of pairs of new jeans, tops, a new bathing suit, and even some nail polish. Haha, like I'll ever get around to wearing that! Nail polish lasts about 20 minutes at the gym which is where I seem to live.

Meg- Sorry to hear about your toes. I had a cortisone shot in my hip once and nearly passed out from the pain, and I'm generally not a pain wuss. I hope that solves your problems...I hate to think of more surgery for you!

Rabbit- I'll tell you how I can be pessimistic when the sun is out and the garden is about to burst into bloom, and it's because of those #$^* furry critters! As soon as anything is about to burst into bloom in my garden, it gets eaten by either rabbits or deer I watch the buds getting ready to open, but the wildlife is apparently doing the same thing, and THEY munch them pre-dawn before I get a chance to even see the flowers. I've completely given up. I had a huge garden of lilies, tulips, crocuses, hosta, and the deer and rabbits think it's a salad bar. Grrrrrr.....

Sandy- I've got the same soccer schedule problems.... Today I have left an hour and a half hole in my client schedule to race home, take ds to practice, race back to the gym, and hopefully dh will manage to pick him up on time. Round trip: 45 miles. I'll repeat this tomorrow.

Hi KarynLee, Gina, Ilene and everyone else (back to the gym!)

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #10  

Default newbie hello

Hi all. I'm a newbie who is kind of defeated. I lost 50 pounds with WW and gained 20 pounds back in the last year. My cholesterol is now too high. Along with a Food Excess Disorder, I have become a champion couch potato.

I'm single, no kids, one cat, one rabbit, one parrot, one fishtank, one canary and six chinchillas. I love my little zoo.

Linda and the zoo.
chinchillacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

rabbit -- AC is in and raring to go... :fingercrossed: that we get an exceptionally HOT summer ...

Meg -- That sounds so painful !! to you!

Well I finally made it in the gym today... But I procrastinated with many many excuses... But then I thought what the heck am I gonna say to those girls if I DON'T go. ME a whole week with no workouts and STILL not wanting to go... But GO I went and I was happy I did!! I did back and bis and it was good I also ran 5k on the ... I'm back into it ...
Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #12  
Meg

Hi Linda! You're not kidding about your zoo!

Hey, I'm so happy that you found your way down here and hope you stick around and keep posting. You might want to check out our Thin For Life discussion in the Maintenance Library - especially Chapter 6, which deals with lapses and relapses. We had a LOT of good discussion on that topic since it's something that we all struggle with at times.

As for being a couch potato, I think it's only fair to warn you that Mel - who co-moderates this forum with me - and I are both personal trainers. Mandatory 5 AM runs - right, gang??!! (kidding!)

We're glad you've joined us!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #13  
Meg

Hey Ilene - you snuck in on me. Isn't it amazing how you can drag yourself into the gym and ALWAYS feel better when you're done? No matter how tired, grumpy, frustrated or whatever I am, a good workout lifts my spirits. Who knew??

Thanks for the hugs on the foot. It hurts like a son of a today and is sporting a nice big bruise where I got nailed with the cortisone shot. And I thought it was supposed to help?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Hey a NEWBIE and I missed her!! We LUVS newbies !! WELCOME

Stick with us and we'll help you in any way we can!!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #15  

Default Five months of maintaining!

I'm psyched to report that I have stayed in my maintenance range for 5 consecutive months now. In May, it will be exactly 1 year since I joined WW. There are some things I don't love about the program but it has definitely helped me regain control of some bad eating habits and be better prepared to meet various challenges (restaurants, sniping relatives, etc.).

My question: how do you ratchet up a weights workout? I have added weight to the machines but it still feels boring. I like to go, still go regularly, but need to do something to make it feel more challenging. I went to a strength class today but I think I could have used higher weights for most of the workout. Suggestions? Especially would like advice from the professionals in this crowd!

Keep up the good work, everyone.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote