Support Groups - Singles Supporting Singles #4

View Full Version : Singles Supporting Singles #4

SheriaVa
04-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Hello Singles!!!!!

If you are single and looking for support for healthy eating, exercise and/or weight loss, please join us. The world is often built for two and if you're looking for a place where you can hang out with other people who are single, you've found it here! We look forward to getting to know you.

Please come in, make yourself at home, and tell us a little about you. Help yourself to the fresh fruit and veggie tray there on the coffee table. We didn't figure it was appropriate to put out cookies. ;)

If you'd like to look back at the previous thread to get a little more information about us, click here for Singles Supporting Singles #3 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=811916#post811916).

corningkat
04-04-2005, 08:05 PM
thanks sheriva for starting our new thread! :)

not much to report today. the weekend went by way too fast as usual. i am dealing with a very large headache right now so i will probably hit the hay early tonite.

have a good tuesday!
kathy

SheriaVa
04-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Sure has been quiet around the ol' singles thread. (sigh) Hoping to see some new folks join us or some of our previous folks come back to visit.

First day back to work after vacation here. BLECH. This SUCKS! And of course, now that I am back to work, the weather forecast is STUNNING. GRR. I forgot to take my meds yesterday so, in addition to having extra weight on the scale this morning due to water retention (I take a prescription diuretic to help keep my blood pressure in check), my stomach is raging from lack of my Prilosec. Ow. I rarely forget to take my meds a whole day like that...noticed at bedtime that Monday's pills were still in the box and knew it was too late at that point to do anything about it. Ah well, I will survive that. My first day back at work, I dunno about that. LOL

corningkat
04-05-2005, 08:07 PM
hi sheriva - beautiful day here too!:sunny: suppose to be even better tomorrow. i sure hope spring is here to stay!! got a nice walk in with the girls(the dogs).

the first day back always stinks. my dr. just started me on a diuretic for my pressure also. i'm suppose to take it every day, but i usually go every other. i find when i take it daily i feel too dehydrated and i already drink tons of water, then i'm up all nite.

do you or anyone reading this ever eat the lean cuisine dinners? i was at my local grocery store tonite and i saw they have a new look and some new flavors as well. i stocked up because they were on sale for $1.79 each. i get so tired of eating the same thing all the time. i'm also tired of taking sandwiches to work. i figure these are just as easy to grab-n-go in the morning.

well, i hope someone else jumps in here. have a good humpday!
kathy

journeygirl
04-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Hi singles, this is Jodie the journeygirl coming around again. I think people probably dissappear when they aren't doing so well in there weight lose efforts, at least that's what I do. I joined this sight because I thought it would help keep me encouraged and instead I just stay away when I'm not doing so well.
So I have a few questions, just trying to get to know you ladies better.
Sheria Va, what type of medication do you have to take and what's it for? Hope that's not too personal, if it is I appologize. Where did you go for vacation? And where are you from?
Kathy: What kin of dogs do you have? I've been thinking about getting 2 myself, I love dogs and it's areason to get out and excersis. Where are you from?
Now that 20 questions is over here's a little info on me. I'm from Windsor Ontario, I'm 30 years old, single of coarse and have been for the last 6 months. Never married, just a series of boyfriends. I love this weather, but does anyone else find it makes you feel a little lonely at times? I love to rollerblade and bike and just be outside in this weather and I actually really enjoy spending time by myself, I just find in this weather I sometimes feel I wish I could share it with someone who enjoys the same things.
ttyl
Jods

SheriaVa
04-06-2005, 04:36 PM
I think people probably dissappear when they aren't doing so well in there weight lose efforts, at least that's what I do.

Jodie, I think you're right on the money about that! I think that's why we had a booming thread going BEFORE the holidays but AFTER the holidays, it was pretty much down to just Kathy and I for a while!

Sheria Va, what type of medication do you have to take and what's it for? Hope that's not too personal, if it is I appologize. Where did you go for vacation? And where are you from?

I take medication for high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, hormone replacement, acid reflux and anxiety. Plus I take a few other non-prescription supplements, so it adds up to a lot of pills every day!

I am originally from Ohio but have been living in the Washington, DC area for over 30 years now (I'm 52). I usually go on vacation in the spring with a group of friends to the Caribbean but, for various reasons, that got called off this year. I realized I couldn't make another couple of months without taking off some time from work, so I just took a week off and spent half of it visiting my best friends in Delaware (at the beach) and the other half at home doing some things around the house, getting laundry caught up, errands, etc.

Thanks for sharing some info about you!

SheriaVa
04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
then i'm up all nite.[\quote]

That's my least favorite part of taking Dyazide! Since I forgot to take my meds Monday, I was up three times peeing last night making up for it! LOL

[quote]do you or anyone reading this ever eat the lean cuisine dinners? i was at my local grocery store tonite and i saw they have a new look and some new flavors as well.

No, I haven't tried any. I'm not a big frozen dinner fan. I don't like most of the full fat ones much less the lowfat ones; and, even among the lowfat ones, I have never cared for the Lean Cuisine brand. However, on my healthy eating board, there are several women who have tried the new whole grains selections and said they were quite good. Let us know how you like them. Maybe I will change my mind! :)

If you have the Michelina brand of frozen dinners where you live, you might want to check those out. Back when I was eating frozen dinners for lunch after going to the gym (about 5-6 years ago), I would find the Michelinas on sale quite often and found them pretty tasty. Of course, I am a very picky eater so I mostly ate the 3-cheese lasagna one--believe it or not, it is lowfat! They have some other lowfat entrees as well.

journeygirl
04-07-2005, 10:41 PM
On the frozen dinner issue, I read oxygen magazine and they recomend Ignite dinners, there's a good source of prtein. I've tried them and they're good as far as frozen dinners go. What is really impressive is the quantity compared to other frozen dinners.

corningkat
04-08-2005, 08:36 PM
hi singles! sorry to be missing a few days. they have been a whirlwind of appts...because i sold the house!!!!!:dance: i am so happy, but now i have to do the packing. (yuck)

sheriava-first while we're on the question thing...is your name just sheria???or sheri??? anywho, we must have different tastes. i don't care for the michelena's, but i like some (not all) lean cuisines. i won't eat anything that has those little red peppers for flavoring. they have revamped the line and i like them. i usually add more veggies to them though.

jods-i am from corning, ny. i am 30, single and the "girls" are a lab/shepard and a cocker spaniel. i also have friends staying with me (till i move that is) and they have a rottie and the mother cocker spaniel of the one i have. and a cat!! so i have a house full right now. they have always been around each other so they all are like sisters. :) i feel bad for my friend's fiance being around 7 girls all the time. :lol:

on the other subject...don't ever not visit with us just because of a bad spell. that is why we are here. i have lots of bad spells but i still visit. we enjoy your company thru good and bad. :)

well, big day tomorrow. work from 5am - 9am and then it's off to start packing and organizing. hopefully for the last time!!! have a good saturday!
kathy

SheriaVa
04-09-2005, 10:38 AM
they have been a whirlwind of appts...because i sold the house!!!!!

Yea! Congrats on selling the house, Kathy! Good luck with the packing.

sheriava-is your name just sheria???or sheri???

My name is Sheri. SheriaVa = First name (Sheri) + First initial of last name (A) + Location (Virginia)

on the other subject...don't ever not visit with us just because of a bad spell. that is why we are here. i have lots of bad spells but i still visit. we enjoy your company thru good and bad. :)

I completely agree! In fact, I find it quite helpful to talk through my bad spells and to get support during them. Helps me be accountable to others as well as myself, which helps me get back on track faster and stop beating up on myself.

corningkat
04-12-2005, 04:12 PM
hi singles! popping in to say hi! i have been busy trying to get some packing and planning done. i don't want to wait to the last minute. if i had a closing date set in stone, i'd be out of here pronto. i hate the anticipation. :dizzy:

not having too bad a week. all this moving business is helping to keep the brain busy with something other than food. i plan on having a little home gym at the other house and i ordered the "total gym" from qvc the other day. it was their daily special and quite a deal. i can't wait to get it. when i was going to physical therapy, they had one and reccomended it. it did help strenghten my knees quite a bit. when i sell the house i am going to get a good treadmill. where i'm moving to is out in the boonies and i don't like to walk too far because the last time i tried that i ran into a rabid raccoon.

well, i hope you are having a great week! :)
kathy

pebs410
04-12-2005, 08:57 PM
HI there everyone! I'm single, new to this website, and way way fat, lonely and low self esteem. This is a great concept. I hope I can find some support and talk to others who have the same problems I do. It's so awful feeling out of control and not having someone to share my life with.

corningkat
04-13-2005, 08:49 PM
welcome beth! glad to have you join us! it's been awfully quiet around here. we will give all the support we are able to. i have many of the same "symptoms". i am always struggling with my eating, trying to get on the exercise bandwagon, and of course, being single, always lonely. this board helps. i do a lot of reading and it helps because i know i'm not the only one with these problems.

i am getting better at the exercise thing, now that it is getting nicer. i took the "girls" (dogs) for a nice long walk today. i don't know why it is so hard to exercise...because once i get going it feels great. i think it is a mental thing.

well, i hope everyone has a good thursday!
kathy

corningkat
04-15-2005, 09:26 PM
hi singles! what a beautiful day today and i had it off from work. now they cancelled our overtime so i get a 3 day weekend!:dance:

i went to my ww meeting last nite and i lost 1.5 for a total of 6lbs. now. i know it's not much, but i am happy.

sheri - more good news! the girl that is buying my house wants to rent it for a month till the closing. now i can really get moving! which is a good thing because i think work has gotten out about my dad passing and we are getting a lot of trespassers. the sooner i get moved the better. i will be busy so don't think i got lost if i don't check in for a few days at a time. i will probably be offline for a week too while i move.(i'll let you know when) i have to get slow poke old dial up because there is no cable or dsl out there in the boonies. :(

well, i'm off to do some packing. have a good weekend!
kathy

SheriaVa
04-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Hello all! So sorry I have been missing in action this week but I hope everyone had a good week. That flu I had last weekend took a while to get completely over...my tummy was still irritated for days so I was eating soft foods like rice and soup clear into my work week. The appetite monster returned on Wednesday with a vengeance! It felt good to go have a long, hard workout at the gym today after missing workouts all last weekend. I did upper body weight training, an hour-long step aerobics class, and another 30 minutes on the treadmill after that...plus hours of shopping after. Whew! I think I will sleep well tonight. LOL

Kathy: Good going on the weight loss, girl! And great news about the girl renting the house before closing...extra income can't hurt! :)

Beth: Welcome! Sorry I wasn't hear to welcome you sooner. Please talk to us about what kind of support would be most helpful. We can talk about food, cooking or exercise tips or emotional support...or all of the above!

corningkat
04-17-2005, 09:55 PM
hi singles! what a nice weekend! got a lot accomplished. it feels good to be productive instead of sitting around veggitating. i stayed at the new house last nite and it was soooo peaceful. i slept like a baby.

sheri - i hope you are fully recovered. you tired me out just reading your workout. :lol: now the shopping is my kind of exercise.

i have a long week ahead. i am having a rummage sale next weekend and i have a lot of organizing to do. sell, sell, sell.....less to move!

have a good week!
kathy

SheriaVa
04-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi all. Just a quick hello...things have been insane with my work schedule so I haven't had much time to get online anywhere. Hope all is well.

corningkat
04-19-2005, 08:12 PM
hi sheri - don't be working so hard your flu comes back. remember your body is still probably recovering. it's looking like me and you again. i don't understand why no one stays? :(

busy this week getting ready to rummage hopefully. i'm watching the weather. i got a "total gym" yesterday to add to my home gym for when i move. right now it is set up right smack in my living room. boy i tell you that is harder than it looks when christy brinkley and chuck norris are doing it. i did some last nite and i was sore today.

have a happy humpday! :D
kathy

SheriaVa
04-20-2005, 07:56 AM
it's looking like me and you again. i don't understand why no one stays? :(

It's a mystery, kathy. I find it very frustrating. I think we all hit on it a few weeks ago when we were saying that people tend to drop off of boards like this when they aren't doing well because they don't want to "fess up." Still, I think that talking through a fall off the wagon is sometimes more helpful than keeping it a secret. I will admit that I don't ALWAYS feel up to talking through mine, but I don't stop coming to the board because of them.

i got a "total gym" yesterday to add to my home gym for when i move.

Cool! I have seen the infomercial and always figured it HAD to be harder than it looks. I think it must depend a lot on your fitness level but also your weight, cuz if you are very heavy and you are pulling your body weight on that slider thing, I would think that would be a lot harder than little Christie Brinkley pulling HER body weight! hehe Let me know how it goes! Sore is good as long as it isn't debilitating sore!

SheriaVa
04-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Just thought I'd bump us back up to the first page since there hasn't been any activity in a few days.

I had a good workout yesterday...my usual Saturday thing...an hour-long step aerobics class that includes upper and lower body toning as well as a killer abs workout and then 1/2 hour of upper body weight training.

Since I had to work Monday, I got to take Friday as my off day instead. So I went to the gym Friday morning and did lower body weight training and some cardio. And today, Sunday, both the upper AND the lower are telling me I did something right. Ow. (grin)

It's a beautiful, though cool, sunny day here so, after a couple of cloudy/rainy days, I think I'm going to try to get out for a walk. Sunday is usually my off day from exercise but, because of my unusual work schedule earlier this week for a special media event, I did not get to work out for a couple of days so I'll try to get an another workout in today. Even if it's only 30 minutes, I will have done SOMEthing. And I need SOMEthing because I picked up a little weight this week from all the eating out I did...it was a VERY unusual week in regard to that!

corningkat
04-25-2005, 09:18 PM
hi sheri! great job on the workouts!! how do you stay so motivated! i can't seem to get into a routine. i workout here and there. that total gym sure did make me sore yesterday. i was folding it up because of company coming and boy did i wack my chin really hard on it. it is all bruised and hurts something fierce. as for actually using it i tried the video that came with it and didn't care for it because i couldn't keep up. there was too much flip flopping for a beginner and by the time i changed an attachment and got in to position she was starting the next exercise. i think i will stick with the basics till i build some strength. and i agree with you about my weight vs. christy brinkleys...it does make it hard because i've had a few friends try it and some have a harder time than others. i looked at treadmills today to finish off my home gym for when i move. i actually miss my treadmill.

things are coming along in the moving department. a little at a time. i don't actually have a closing date yet. the lady who is buying is waiting to finish a few conditions of her loan. ( a home buying course) i'm thinking maybe mid-june but i think i am shooting for a may 15th moving day for me.

curiosity....what is it you do for a career?? sounds exciting. i work in a boring old shop, but it is very good money. couldn't ask for better without a degree.
have a great week!
kathy :)

SheriaVa
04-26-2005, 12:23 PM
hi sheri! great job on the workouts!! how do you stay so motivated! i can't seem to get into a routine.

My plan each week is to work out 5 days out of 7. Last year, I was doing 6 days and started feeling resentful so I bumped it back to 5 and am doing much better with my mental attitude now. It's all about establishing a routine. Last spring, I worked hard to establish a routine of working out before work in the mornings. I thought it was going to kill me at first getting up at 5 or 5:30 a.m. and having to face that level of activity right out of bed (I am NOT a morning person) but I got used to it and now it is just habit. The alarm goes off and I roll right out of bed and into my workout clothes. My schedule usually goes like this most weeks:

Monday: Either cardio & lower body weight training at the gym (total 1 1/2 to 2 hours), or 1 to 1 1/2-hour power walk outside if nice (off work Mondays).
Tuesday: 30 minutes of abs work at home before work.
Wednesday: 45 minutes of cardio at home before work.
Thursday: 30 minutes of upper body weights at home before work.
Friday: Off
Saturday: 30 minutes of upper body weight training at the gym followed by a 1-hour intense step aerobics class and sometimes followed by another 30 minutes of cardio.
Sunday: Off.

I guess the bottom line answer on how I stay motivated is that I have seen such incredible improvements in muscle tone, body firming, endurance and even in my bone density that I know it is the right thing to do for my body (my bone density scan at age 52 was better than the baseline I had done at age 47! I think that's pretty amazing and so does my doctor).

curiosity....what is it you do for a career?? sounds exciting.

I work for the Federal Government. Every Government agency has to write regulations outlining how their programs work...how you qualify for them, what paperwork is required, etc. I read the regulations my agency writes and make sure they are technically correct--in other words, I'm sort of a technical editor. I am also the head of the regulatory affairs section of my agency which involves a lot of other tasks.

It's not exciting at ALL but last week I got involved in something outside my usual job because they needed an extra body and that was pretty exciting. I got to meet a lot of media people and see Denise Austin and be involved in something that was on the news (the new food guide pyramid that was announced last week). Exciting but glad it was only a few days. :)

corningkat
04-26-2005, 09:04 PM
that sounds interesting to me. at least it's not repititous.(your job, that is)

i guess i will have to establish a routine when i move. the first thing i would like to see for myself is to be more flexible. i am so stiff when i wake in the mornings.

got my rummage items all priced tonite. what a long task. :dizzy: i just hope all the junk goes.

have a good humpday!
kathy

corningkat
04-28-2005, 07:03 PM
hi! just giving us a bump up. hope all is well!
kathy ;)

SheriaVa
04-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Yea, all is well...it's ust been an especially busy week at work. Wednesday was one of those days...very stressful...lost my temper...hate when that happens! But I'm keepin' on keepin' on...glad it's Friday. :)

Enjoy your weekend, Kath!

SheriaVa
05-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Just bumping us up...hope Kathy (and anyone else who may be lurking) is having a great weekend! Been rainy and gray here. :(

corningkat
05-02-2005, 09:15 PM
hi sheri! the time has come. :( i am going to be offline for a couple of weeks at least. i should be back online after the 15th sometime. maybe we can just take a break and start a new thread with some newer catchy name when i come back. just an idea.

not much new here. i have been busy, busy moving. you know how much fun that is. i will catch you in a couple of weeks. if i get a chance i will pop in on my friends computer sometime. take care in the meantime!!! :)
kathy

SheriaVa
05-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Best of luck with the move, Kathy!! I'll miss you.

corningkat
05-16-2005, 08:44 PM
hi sheri! i'm finally back online. i was beginning to have withdrawals. i have to use boring ol' dial-up now and i was having problems. my computer was in the shop for a week.

i am all moved, not very organized :dizzy: ,but moved. i still have a lot of work to do.

i have started my daily walk again. i walk down my hill and back. it is about 1.5 miles. not much, but a start and i am feeling better doing it. i am out in the boonies now so i can't just jump in the car and go a block to any fast food. that is a good thing. i've got the mowing thing down. it takes about 2.5 hours to get it done, so that is quite the project. i will certainly be busy.

how are things with you?? doesn't look like anyone has visited here. maybe we should come up a new name???
kathy

SheriaVa
05-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey Kathy, welcome back! Yea, I must admit I've been neglecting the ol' singles thread while you were gone cuz no one ever seems to post but the two of us. Maybe we need a catchier title or a new focus, I dunno!

Congrats on the move...wow, that mowing sounds like a job and a half! Good exercise though I bet? Or do you have a rider? Good job on the walk and I know what you mean about it being good not to be close to fast food. I live right next to a McD's and about a block away from a Wendy's. Not good! Esp. in nice weather when I'm driving with the windows open on the way home from work and smell those fries. WHooooaa! hehe

YP1
05-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Hello, there don't seem to be many singles on here so I'll pop my head in and say hello!

corningkat
05-17-2005, 09:06 PM
hi there yp1! thanks for dropping in! it is a quiet thread. people only stay for a short time. i don't know why???

sheri - yes i do have a riding mower, but some of the spots i will have to do by hand. there are springs running thru the yard and a rider will sink.

i ended up calling off today because i think i was overtired and everything was catching up. i slept in and i'm still tired. no walking today. that's when i probably need it most to get my energy back.

do you think we should give it a new name or both of us go to another busier thread??? i don't think we have enough pizazz here. :?:

have a good humpday!
kathy

SheriaVa
05-18-2005, 08:54 AM
do you think we should give it a new name or both of us go to another busier thread??? i don't think we have enough pizazz here. :?:

I dunno, Kathy...what do you think? I joined a new thread while you were moving to check it out, but it is not very active either (not even 1 new post a day most times) and it's mostly very young girls so I don't feel like we are really on the same wavelength, ya know?

I'm up for either. Do you have other threads that you recommend we try? I really haven't explored 3FC that much. I've tried about 4-5 different threads since I joined and, believe it or not, this has been the most active one (okay, not lately, but back before Christmas). The others all petered out too, and much quicker than ours did. I just wonder if that is the nature of the beast. There don't seem to be a lot of people who are committed to the long haul or who are committed to staying in contact even when they aren't doing well, but maybe I just haven't found the right threads yet!!

And Welcome YP1! Sure hope you will come back to visit.

corningkat
05-20-2005, 09:24 PM
hi sheri! i guess if that's the case then there's no sense in going elsewhere. we'll just stay here and be happy! :)

not much going on here! i have to work all weekend. the company is probably getting nervous with the end of the month and a long weekend to boot. didn't walk today because i got 50 feet down the driveway and it started to rain. i guess i will have get moving and organize my home gym area for such days. i went to my ww meeting last nite and gained 1.5. :( i will do better this week! :)

have a good weekend!
kathy

YP1
05-21-2005, 01:30 AM
Hi, so are you sticking round here then?

I guess I'll introduce myself, my name's Helen and I'm resolutely single.

Big day today - my mother's coming to stay with me for a while and I've lost a stone and a half since I last saw her. Will she notice?

corningkat
05-24-2005, 10:22 PM
hi there! yes helen, we are sticking around and welcome again! i am not posting as much as i used to because i am still trying to settle in after moving. i now have to use dial-up (no choice in the matter) and it's driving me insane!!! so sloooowwwww!!

i've had to do a few birthday cakes this week for work. i am making healthy cakes and they don't even know it but love it!!! what they don't know won't hurt them. :devil:

the weather here is putting a damper on my walking. it's not suppose to get much nicer for another week. :(

well, i have to hit the hay!!! nite
kathy

SheriaVa
05-26-2005, 11:55 AM
My apologies for taking so long to get back here! It's been wild at work and that's where I usually check in here from. Anyhow, good to see you both (Kathy and YP1). Things are going okay with me...was at the beach in Delaware last weekend to visit my close friends and that was much fun. Don't have anything planned yet for Memorial Day weekend. I'll be content if it stays that way, frankly. LOL

I'll be going to Florida for a family vacation on June 4th for a week so I won't be checking in at all during that time.

So YP1, did your Mom notice your weight loss? I hope she did and that she was positive and complimentary of you. My Mom came to visit about 5 months after I'd started losing weight and I'd lost about 20 pounds I guess at that point. She didn't say a word until we were sitting in my apt. and I was saying something about my weight loss frustrations and she said "Oh, I noticed your weight loss right away when I saw you at the airport." and I remember thinking "Gee, it might have been nice if you'd said something." In other words, had I not brought up my weight loss the whole time she was visiting, she'd probably not have said a word. (sigh)

Edited to add that I also went to a family reunion in August 2004 after I'd lost 35 pounds and not a single person said a word. Granted, these people only see me once a year but *I* thought the change was noticeable! It wasn't until a cousin heard me make a comment about an old picture (they always put out pix of past reunions at the current one) that she looked at the pic and then at me and said "Oh my, you HAVE lost weight, haven't you?"

Enjoy your long weekend!

corningkat
05-29-2005, 09:55 AM
hi singles! been busy too. i have a friend visiting and we've been doing a lot. blew my calories out of the water of course. yesterday we went touring of some of the wineries. that was fun! today is window shopping. my suggestion so we can walk off some of those calories. ;)

i hope you are having a nice long weekend!
kathy

lilybutt
05-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Hello,

I would like to join in! I am 43, single, never married, just a string of bad relationships, abusive and controlling (how do we do that to ourselves!!!????). I am a special education consultant. Love my job!!!! I have 3 cats now; jut added my first “little man” to may group. I have always had girls, but he is a sweetie! I enjoy being single again! It is a hard adjustment after being in a relationship, but, as they say, time heals everything, and I am happy again! I think of being single as the time to take care of me! I try so hard to diet and exercise, but have so little luck with actually losing……seems I have to eat about nothing to lose! It is so frustrating that after so long I can’t take it anymore! I have done the WW thing, Atkins things, and now I just count calories….works the best for me! I exercise fairly regularly. I walk, bike, and sometimes swim laps. After my last breakup I even hired a trainer to get me into some new habits, so she taught me a lot of strength training with free weights. So I try to get that in too! Right now not exercising much though….got a big blood blister on my toe last week and OUCH it hurts!

Well that is me……I enjoy posting and post on the 40 somethings and race to 199 also! So happy to see this thread though……being single has as many challenges as being married and having kids, I think we singletons get overlooked sometimes!

Lilybutt

SheriaVa
05-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Welcome, Lilybutt! I know what you mean about singles getting overlooked sometimes. Sometimes it seems that "coupled" folk think of the world as everyone being coupled but, as WE know, this isn't the case! I think that living alone presents its own challenges too. In one respect, it's easier because you don't have other peoples' fatty snacks tempting you. On the other hand, you don't have someone there to talk to or for support and cooking for one is a pain!

A little about me: I'm 52 and never married and I have been living healthy for 2 years come July 1st. I have lost about 30 pounds but have been plateaued for a long while now and am working at trying to get back to losing. I eat low fat but don't subscribe to any particular plan/program. I exercise 5 X week--a combo of cardio, toning and weight training.

Look forward to hearing more from you, Lily!

lilybutt
05-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

It is a beautiful day here! It is a wonder how the the weather can really affect my mood and energy level. It has been so cool and cloudy and raining this spring, but this morning.....the sun is shining, the birds are singing and all seems right with the world! :) I think I will get busy today and do some laundry and hang it outside, and get a start on washing windows.

About the diet......I have NOT had a good past week or so...there is a fair going on just a block from my house, so the corndogs and cotton candy have been calling me! Here is my dilemma……I am leaving on June 8th for a 13 day trip to Europe with a girlfriend. I have tried hard to lose weight and had a goal of 220 by the time I left, but just didn’t make it….It is sooooooooo hard to lose after 40! So know that the trio is just around the corner, and this is my last week of work, and I am going out of town for a few days for work, I find myself say “what the h311!” I will start over when I get back! Not a good attitude at all! Oh and to top it off, I got too nasty blood blisters on y toes, the last time I walked the track a the Y so I am thinking I should let them heal and not exercise……..I feel myself falling into the big pit of slovenly behavior!!!!

Lilybutt, hanging on by the fingernails

SheriaVa
05-30-2005, 03:20 PM
I have tried hard to lose weight and had a goal of 220 by the time I left, but just didn’t make it….It is sooooooooo hard to lose after 40!

Oh, I hear ya sister! I'm over 50 and it doesn't get any easier, I assure you! But I really do feel that consistency is the key. I put the hard work in to build good habits and then I try to stay on track (with both eating and exercise) the majority of the time and then treat myself every now and then so I don't feel deprived.

Oh and to top it off, I got too nasty blood blisters on y toes, the last time I walked the track a the Y so I am thinking I should let them heal and not exercise……..I feel myself falling into the big pit of slovenly behavior!!!

I hear your frustration, lilybutt. First, if you got blood blisters from walking, I think you better take a look at your shoes. Are they old? Are they still giving you adequate support? Do they fit properly? Maybe you need a new pair or a better fitting pair or a pair that is specifically for walking (shoes used for exercise should be replaced yearly). Also make sure you have good socks--I know the right socks make all the difference in the world in my comfort when walking. I wear Reebok socks that I got at Kohl's--they're wonderfully padded on the bottom and very comfy!

If you have to worry about getting blood blisters when you walk, you will naturally tend to avoid walking. In the mean time, while the blisters heal, you could try some other forms of exercise...like abs/core work or balance ball work. Those can be done laying on your back or sitting on the ball so that your weight isn't on your feet.

Have a marvelous trip! I'll be travelling to Florida myself on June 4th. Sounds like Kathy will have the thread to herself for a while!

lilybutt
05-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Yes you are exactly correct about the shoes......they are new New Balances.....I always buy good shoes since I have heel spurs and they keep them at bay....I buy the same size and th same style everytime, but this time they really have bothered me.....usually I can put them right on and just go....not sure what the difference is. I do have orthotics, so I took them out and that was better. I also just bought a pair of Ecco sandles that are WONDERFUL!!! so I wore those all day. I plan on wearing then in Europe...they will be great! I will get out the balance ball and weights later...need to work on the upper arms anyway! ;)

Lilybutt

SheriaVa
05-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Yes you are exactly correct about the shoes......they are new New Balances.....I always buy good shoes since I have heel spurs and they keep them at bay....I buy the same size and th same style everytime

I do the same thing! And I wear New Balance as well! Unfortunately, though, they stopped making the model I had been wearing for the past 7 or 8 years. I am so bummed. I've tried 2 other models and didn't care much for them so I don't know what I'm going to do now. I started buying New Balance cuz I was diagnosed with heel spurs some years ago and the podiatrist took forms of my feet and sent them away to a place in New England that recommended the best style/brand of sneaker for my foot--it was the New Balance walking shoe (I think it was the 550).

Sorry to hear that your new ones are bothering you. Hope you can get them broken in so they are more comfortable! I have a pair that I am rotating among some other pairs to try to break them in a little at a time. I am now to the point where I can wear them for aerobics class, but the first time I wore them there, I almost fell down a dozen times tripping over the step. LOL

JanetG
05-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi all,
I've been reading the last couple pages of posts and am feeling sufficiently guilty :^: that I am one of the losers who dropped out. I've not posted since last December! I don't really have a good excuse, but I hope you will all forgive me and let me back!

SheriaVa and Kathy - you guys are the inspiration for this thread and I thank you for keeping it alive. I am also glad that you didn't change it or move it or I would never have found you again! I do find it helpful and I have stopped in periodically to check up, but was feeling weird about joining back in. I know that's irrational, but I felt embarassed :o that I let my life get away from me and let you guys down.

The weight loss has actually been going pretty well. I am down a total of 72 pounds since last August. I am doing the Weight Watchers thing with varying dedication depending on the time of month and stress level in my life. I go to the YMCA 4-5 times a week where I do cardio and weight training :wl: 2-3 times a week. I generally get up (at 4:30AM!) and go before work, that way I can get the dreaded exercise out of the way and spend the day being true to my inherent nature - being a slug!

I'm with you, Lilybutt, the weather has been the pits. I'm in the Twin Cities area so our weather has probably been pretty similar. This weekend was supposed to be a wash, but luckily the weather reports were totally off and yesterday and today were gorgeous. I got outside to do much overdue yardwork, and spent about 8 hours outside. Woke up and could barely move this morning, so I gave myself the day off. I've got alot of work to do out there, but I made a dent - a very small dent, but a dent nonetheless. I'm tired of cringing at the state of my lawn everytime I pull into my driveway. I have alot of pine trees so my yard will never make it on the cover of Landscaper's Digest, but it could certainly look better than it does with a little TLC. Now that I am getting the weight off, I find it much easier to physically handle the work required. Just a year ago, I wouldn't have been able to handle more than an hour or so, and that feels great in and of itself.

Anyway, I resolve to do my part to keep our thread at the top of the page.

FlannelAnnie
05-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi all,
Nice to see a singles thread! We singles do have our own challenges in this couple world. I am 41, divorced for about 3 1/2 years now after an 11 year marriage. I just graduated from college with my first four year degree. I do not have any kids, well except my dog and my cat. :P I am now trying to focus on getting healthier, particularly in the eating department. A challenge to be sure and one I'm definitely struggling with right now! UGH!

SheriaVa
05-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Hi all,
I don't really have a good excuse, but I hope you will all forgive me and let me back!

Of COURSE! It's so good to see you, Janet! Glad you found us again. :)

was feeling weird about joining back in. I know that's irrational, but I felt embarassed :o that I let my life get away from me and let you guys down.

Hey, don't you worry about it. We're just glad you're well and that you've come back to see us! I understand about feeling weird about staying active on the thread when things aren't going well...that happens with a LOT of people! As you've probably seen me post, I've gone back and looked up the posting history of people who have posted here in the past (wondering "is it just us? are we that boring?") and found that most didn't just move on to another thread on this site, they completely stopped posting on the site. I've been on another healthy eating website for 2 years and you can definitely see a cycle of people going away when they fall off the wagon and coming back to the board when they get back on track. So it's a very common mindset! Just know that we support you no matter what because, Lord knows, we have ALL had times when we aren't doing our best!

The weight loss has actually been going pretty well. I am down a total of 72 pounds since last August...I go to the YMCA 4-5 times a week where I do cardio and weight training

WOOHOO! You go girl! That is AWESOME! 72 lbs! What an achievement!

I generally get up (at 4:30AM!) and go before work, that way I can get the dreaded exercise out of the way and spend the day being true to my inherent nature - being a slug!

Ditto for me! I am a couch tater by nature so if I don't get it done early in the morning before work, I will find a million excuses not to do it later! When people say "Wow, I wish I could do that." when I say I exercise 5 days a week, I say "Hey, I'm no athlete...I'm just a couch potato who happens to exercise 5 days a week."

SheriaVa
05-31-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi all,
Nice to see a singles thread! We singles do have our own challenges in this couple world. I am 41, divorced for about 3 1/2 years now after an 11 year marriage. I just graduated from college with my first four year degree. I do not have any kids, well except my dog and my cat. :P I am now trying to focus on getting healthier, particularly in the eating department. A challenge to be sure and one I'm definitely struggling with right now! UGH!

Welcome, Annie! Congrats on that degree! I didn't even start college for the first time until I was 35, so I can relate. :) Good job on the focus on getting healthier. As we age, it gets even more important! I was diagnosed with hypertension when I was 42 and that was the start of my focus. Then, the summer before I turned 51, I made a commitment to healthy eating and regular exercise and I'm still going almost 2 years later. Haven't lost all the weight I want to lose (been plateauing a lot), but still living healthy. I try to never give up, even when I'm not seeing the results I want on the scale. I think that consistency is really important to long term results & health!

Good to have you here, Annie!

SheriaVa
05-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Thought I'd share two things FYI:

1. If you don't already know this, there is a way to add this thread to a list of favorites so you can access it (and any others you like) quickly to see if there have been any new posts since your last visit. This is a lot faster than coming through the menu system and thread list to find the thread. To add this thread to your favorites: a) Scroll up to the first post on this page and click on the box/link called "Thread Tools." b) Scroll down the Thread Tools menu and click on "Subscribe to this thread." Now, to test it, use your browser favorites to get you back to the main menu or wherever you end up when you first come to the 3FC website. Now at the top of the page, look for a link called "User CP." If there has been a new post since your last visit, you will see Singles Supporting Singles listed there. If there hasn't been a new post, you will see a "no new posts to this thread" announcement.

2. I have been a part of a great online community dedicated to healthy living for two years. There are MANY members there who, like myself, have been a member for 2 years. People tend to be very consistent there...they post when they're up and they post when they're down but most of them stay around no matter what. The potential for emotional support and for getting information about healthy cooking/eating and exercise are tremendous...all you need to do is ask (and of course to give support and information as well as get it). The members are mostly women and range in age from 20s to 70s. The majority are married women and mothers but there are some other singletons besides myself. If this sounds like a place you might like to visit, here's a link to Kathleen Daelemans' Website (http://www.kathleendaelemans.com). Kathleen is a chef and Food Network show host who has lost over 70 pounds herself and maintained it for over a decade. When you get to the site, click on the FAN FORUM button on the menu bar and you'll get to the board. My name over there is SheriaVa also, so if you check it out (like here, you'll have to create a screen name and password), please post a hello there and let me know you're from here. I credit a lot of my being able to keep going with healthy living for two years to these people. They are like my family.

Tazia
05-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi all...I found this singles forum today and I think it is awesome. Was having a hard time relating to the challenges that the married mothers were facing as I was not in thier shoes....but I think this one I can relate to. :)

I have been excerising at home for about 3 weeks now. Started all gung ho and as it went on I found myself coming up with "very legitimate" reasons :rolleyes: as to why I couldn't fit in the time. So I got my butt up to Curves today and signed up.

Couple questions: How do you find the motivation to get up at 4:30am to go to excerise? I was told at Curves today "we open at 6am" and my response was "Well I do NOT open at 6am" :D

And how long should one be awake before they go and do excerise? Is there a length of time that you should allow your body to wake up and let your heart come out of the resting state before you start to pump it mercifully?

I know myself well enough to know that I need to do the excerise in the morning..just need to find a way to get myself out of bed....I am soooo not a morning person.

Looking forward to this forum and all the great support I have seen in it.

SheriaVa
05-31-2005, 08:04 PM
Couple questions: How do you find the motivation to get up at 4:30am to go to excerise? I was told at Curves today "we open at 6am" and my response was "Well I do NOT open at 6am" :D

Welcome Tazia!! I'm not the one who gets up at 4:30 a.m., but I do get up between 5 and 5:30 a.m. to exercise, so I thought I'd put my two cents in! When I first started losing weight, I was working out after work. Now, I work a 10-11 hour day, so there isn't a lot left for me to give at 6:30-7 p.m. when I'm rolling into the driveway from work. So the folks on another board kept at me to try morning exercise. I was resistant...I said I CAN'T GET UP ANY EARLIER! and they said YES YOU CAN! So I did. And I promised them I'd try for a few weeks to see if I could build the habit. And I did. And I am still doing it over a year later. And I wouldn't have it ANY other way.

I used to spend the day GRUMPING about having to work out after work. I'd DREAD it driving home. I'd MAKE EXCUSES once I was home NOT to do it. Now, by 6 a.m., it's over. It's done. And I can go to work and not think about it again until the next morning.

As for motivation. I just do it. The alarm goes off and I roll out of bed and into my exercise clothes. I just do it...in that second that the alarm goes off, or it will be too late. I can't lay there and think...not even for 5 seconds. Like Nike says I "just do it." Give it a try...at least 3 weeks, which is as long as it takes to build a habit. And see if you can hack it. Maybe you can't...and that's okay. But do try!

And how long should one be awake before they go and do excerise? Is there a length of time that you should allow your body to wake up and let your heart come out of the resting state before you start to pump it mercifully?

Well, I don't know what a doctor would say, or an exercise physiologist, but I've been rolling out of bed and going right to it (within 3-5 minutes anyway--gotta hit the bathroom first and get the clothes on LOL) for over a year now with no ill effects that I am aware of. I'm not always doing high energy cardio stuff, though. Generally, I go to the gym twice a week (when I'm not working) for high energy cardio and weight training and then the stuff I do in the mornings before work is abs, balance ball, leg/bun and arm toning, stuff like that...I do maybe one day of cardio a week straight out of bed.

I would strongly suggest that you put at least a third or a half of your focus into weight training and/or toning/conditioning not only because muscle burns fat faster but because you will be more toned as you lose the weight. The first thing that my guy friends have commented on is my thighs/behind because, as I've lost weight, I've worked out a LOT and have tightened things up considerably muscularly as well as shrinking fat-wise.

JanetG
05-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Hi all!

Welcome to FlannelAnnie & Tazia! Stick with us and we'll get this thread going yet!

Today was not a stellar day in the diet and exercise department. I am the head of a department of 4 people and one was on vacation and another called in, so that left me trying to juggle the duties of three people. Of course, I allowed the stress to get to me and started reaching for the chocolate. I don't keep any close at hand, but I know where to find it in the building... that inherent chocolate homing device never seems to fade, does it? So I ended up indulging, more than I should. Feeling a little guilty, but I'm trying to get over that. Guilt over little slip ups is such a wasted emotion. Tomorrow is a brand new, clean, mistake-free day. If I've learned anything this time around on this weight loss see-saw, is that perfection isn't as important as perseverence.

Tazia, in response to your question about how I stay committed to getting up at 4:30am. Simply put, I hate exercizing in the evening more than I hate getting up in the morning. In the morning, there is not as much competition for the equiptment at the Y (although the "eye candy" is better in the afternoon for some reason...). And I'm with SheriaVa. If I don't exercize in the morning, I spend most of the day thinking of excuses not to go after work (I have a headache, my feet are tired, I'm hungry, I had a hard day, I'm too tired, I deserved a day off...the possibilities are endless, and believe me, I've come up with the most creative excuses). If I get it out of the way in the morning, then it's done and over with. I almost always leave the gym singing "I'm done! I'm done! I'm done, I'm done, I'm done, I'm done, done, done!" to the tune of "When love comes in". Sad but true. It helps that my three cats are now on the 4:30 wake up schedule so if I am tempted to stay in bed a cat climbing on my head looking for breakfast helps persuade me that it's easier to get up. I still don't make it every day though. I have been known to get up, get in my gym clothes and then crawl back into bed. Also sad, but true. Just try it for a week or two. If you still hate it after that time, at least you tried.

I'm a strong proponent of weight/strength training too. I've noticed increased definition in those muscles that aren't still covered by a layer of fat. Boy are my abs going to be cut when I finally get rid of this belly fat! I have no proof of that, I can just feel it. My endurance is so much better than it was, and I know only part of that is the weight loss. And most reliable sources about weight loss supports keeping the metabolism up by building lean muscle which makes alot of sense if you think about it.

Anyway, I ramble on and need to do some laundry (fun!fun!). Hope all is going well with everyone and I'll check in tomorrow.

lilybutt
05-31-2005, 11:16 PM
Hello all…..

I am so happy that all of you are here! I feel so good to know that I am not the only singleton in this battle….I knew I wasn’t but it is hard to wade through all the problems of those with kids and hubbies to find someone who knows what being single and trying to lose weight is like! In some ways easier…no one else to feed, don’t have to buy kid food or unhealthy snacks…..and in some ways harder….no “encouragers”, no one to cook for, therefore…graze the kitchen, no on to see you eat, so go for it sweetie, hard to cook for one, and midnight binges are easy! It is not necessarily harder to diet being single, just different challenges!

Anyway…good to see everyone…….I had a blood draw for work today…all very good news! YEAH!!!! Blood pressure: 128/2, Triglycerides: 58, Cholesterol: 144, Blood sugar: 90, HDL: 64, LDL: 68…all very good numbers for a 43 year old…….I laughed though…with good numbers like that, I have little incentive to improve my diet……but part of the Wellness plan at work is to get emails from a health counselor to follow up on goals. I set my goal to lose weight of course…..so that may help…..the counselor did talk to me about calorie intake and exercise too…so for a free screening…all good info!

Janet…..I am so impressed you get up early! I am an after work exerciser….first of all I just choose not to get up early and second of all…..after work is my hardest time…..I want to eat the most then so a brisk walk or bike ride or trip to the Y helps me eat up that time between work and dinner, helps me plan to eat something healthy, and takes the edge off……we all do what works best for us! I am not that far from you…just down interstate 35 in Mason City across the border!

Welcome Tazia!!!

Sheri….thanks for being there and responding!!!

Have a good one everyone!!!

Lilybutt

SheriaVa
06-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Guilt over little slip ups is such a wasted emotion. Tomorrow is a brand new, clean, mistake-free day. If I've learned anything this time around on this weight loss see-saw, is that perfection isn't as important as perseverence.

I hear you about the chocolate--I am a lifelong chocoholic myself. In fact, when I started eating healthy, I said to myself "You KNOW that as soon as you try to deny yourself chocolate, your new eating plan is going right down the toilet because you WILL rebel." So I bring 1 bite-size dark chocolate Dove Promise to work in my lunch cooler every day and that is my "dessert." Allowing myself good chocolate on a regular basis almost always keeps me from going overboard--though there was that weekend in Delaware at Easter with the chocolate truffles so it's not foolproof. LOL

As for going for a "mistake-free day," I would caution against setting yourself up for perfection. I hear you saying that perfection isn't as important as perseverence, and I agree with that...but I wonder if you really believe it in your heart because we're all human and expecting a mistake-free day may just set us up to have quite the opposite experience. Just a thought! :)

I've noticed increased definition in those muscles that aren't still covered by a layer of fat. Boy are my abs going to be cut when I finally get rid of this belly fat! I have no proof of that, I can just feel it.

I have said that to myself too...about what a body I'm going to have if I can ever get all the fat off. Cuz man I can feel the muscles under there and I think I'm gonna be one buff chick...for a woman in her 50s anyhow. <G>

SheriaVa
06-01-2005, 08:37 AM
I had a blood draw for work today…all very good news! YEAH!!!! Blood pressure: 128/2, Triglycerides: 58, Cholesterol: 144, Blood sugar: 90, HDL: 64, LDL: 68…all very good numbers for a 43 year old

WOOHOOOO! Look at those numbers! Congrats, lilybutt! I'm envious, cuz it took me some kickin'-butt hard work with eating and exercise to get my cholesterol and triglycerides down and mine still aren't as low as yours! Then again, I have massive family history for high cholesterol so my doctor is just happy that my numbers have come down and that I'm losing weight, eating right and exercising regularly.

P.S. Re blood pressure of 128 over 2--is that a typo? That bottom number is generally somewhere in the 70s or low 80s. Maybe 72 or 82?

YP1
06-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi, I'm back off holiday. Yes she did notice, and I'm sure what was more impressive was how much fitter I was than last time we went on holiday together. We used to puff up hills slowly together, this time I was leaving her far behind, racing back down for her and then racing up again.

I'm also an early morning exerciser. My alarm goes off at 6, and in winter it can be tough. In summer I'm usually awake at 5 and doing other stuff (surfing the net, reading) waiting for the alarm so that I can go to the gym. No point getting up any earlier as the gym only opens at 6.30.

Now it's my routine. I park somewhere free that fills up by about 8am. If I go straight into work, to park there means I have to get into work early. If I go to the gym I can leave a bit earlier, miss the traffic, get a free parking space instead of paying a fortune later, have a shower at the gym instead of at home and eat my breakfast when I get to work. It works for me. It's so much routine I even get to the gym if I feel ill. On one memorable occasion I managed to get to the gym and dragged myself round the pool for an hour or so before work, on getting to work I was informed I looked terrible and got sent home. I did feel terrible, but the habit of going to the gym was so ingrained I didn't realise til I got there! I hurt my foot recently and couldn't work out. The lie in felt so unnatural, and I was tired all day because the workout really wakes me up.

JanetG
06-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi all!

Things were quieter today and I felt a little more in control. We even had a birthday patry potluck at work and I resisted the cake which was from my favorite bakery. I knew I could have a piece and still stay on plan, but I have such issues with sugar, that I didn't even want to get started down that road. So I thought about it, then passed. There will be other days when I just have to have a piece, but I'll wait until then.

SheriaVa - I hear what you're saying about perfectionism. I have had problems with this most of my life and I think I have gotten much better about this in the last few years. What I meant was that mistakes, slip ups, whatever happen and you have to look at tomorrow as a new day. Believe me, I have very few "mistake-free" days and have found that if I am good most the time, the weight still comes off. That is a very liberating discovery for me because I have quit diet after diet because I slipped up. So yesterday was a "bad" diet day and I found myself slipping into bad habits, but I can regroup today and move on. Make sense? My question, though, is how do you keep from eating the whole bag of Dove Chocolates?? I'm just not that strong - yet!

Lillibutt - We'll be your encouragers! Congrats on the good bloodwork results! I haven't had my bloodwork done since I started dieting last fall. My labs were in normal range, but high normal. Don't let your good health take away your incentive though. The blood work shows is that you are healthy at a cellular level, but the big picture can't be overlooked. I'm not going to recite the litany of reasons that being even a little overweight can negatively affect your health (sorry, I'm a nurse...). It sounds like you're on your way though. And I think you have a good strategy in working out in the evenings. If that is your "weak" times it makes sense to keep busy during these times. Good thinking.

Helen - I'm glad for you that your Mom noticed your weight loss. It can be frustrating to work so hard and then no one notices. And good job of running circles around her! You must really be an early bird. I can't imagine getting up at 5:00 unless I had a compelling reason (like exercise). Your routine sounds great. I haven't reached the level of dedication though to work out when I am sick. That is one of the few excuses I come up with that I actually don't feel guilty about!

Tazia
06-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Well went to Curves for the first time tonight. It was AWESOME ! It is somewhere I am going to enjoy going to. I couldn't believe how fast the 30 minutes went. Going to go in the evenings for the first week then committing to giving the early mornings a try for a week - going to find that motivation inside to get out of bed. :dizzy:

lilybutt
06-01-2005, 10:03 PM
ahhhh yes.....I see that now.....blood pressure was 128/82. I am very happy with my numbers! I does show that my hard work has paid off in ways other than losing weight! Another piece of info theye gave me was a weight range that would work for my body....thye said 199-179 given my height and body composition.....this made me feel good because that is what I would say I want to be too! I have been down as low as 140 and had a terrible time maintaining it and being healthy....at 170-190 I was healthiest.....so NOT that far away! I can do it!!!!

I leave tomorrow am for an overnight trip for work....so all have a good few days!

Lilybutt

corningkat
06-01-2005, 10:04 PM
hi singles! not much new to report here. i had a nice holiday weekend. i had a friend from CT come to visit. that is where i grew up. it was nice to visit with my friend.

sheri-i hope you have a nice vacation in florida.my mom says it's very hot down there. :devil: still working on getting the new house in shape. i have to get it all done before my mom comes to visit in july. i have to prove i can handle it all so she doesn't worry.

i will keep us to the top while you are gone. :)
kathy

FlannelAnnie
06-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Hello all,

Chocoholic...yep...I too am one of those too. I still have as yet to learn how to eat it responsibly...SIGH. As for exercising in the morning...uhhhh...never gonna do that. I have tried in the past. I have now faced truth...I am not a morning person and exercising in the morning is just not gonna happen for me. But I do actually like exercising in the evening. I mean sometimes it is hard to get out there and go (like when it's 20 below out for sure), but I find that exercising at night burns off all that stress from the work day. So for me, exercising in the evening is the only way to go. But sometimes I do envy you morning people a little. :P Hope you all are doing great! ~ Ann

SheriaVa
06-02-2005, 08:37 AM
I just have to start out by saying I am SO excited to see this thread thriving again. See, Kathy? It was worth it for us to keep hangin' in there a while! hehe Thanks for hangin' in there with me! :)

YP1: Welcome back! Good to hear that you mum noticed your hard work! Good for you for being so dedicated to your workouts! It is pretty much a routine for me too at this point, but I don't exercise when I'm sick...or if I do, it's something gentle like balance ball where I'm not jumping around.

Janet: I'm a lifelong perfectionist too...it's something I have to fight against all the time (and not just in terms of eating & exercising). I've improved a lot with my perfectionism too, but still have a long way to go. Your discovery that being good most of the time can still lead to weight loss is an important one! I quit diet after diet for years, too, because I thought I had to be "perfect" every day...NEVER eat anything fatty, ALWAYS make the right choices, etc. The philosophy that I subscribe to is the 80/20 rule--eat healthy at least 80% of the time and allow myself some treats. There is no way I could still be living healthy almost 2 years later if I tried to exist on ONLY healthy food and never treated myself. It's a very important lesson that it took me until age 50 to learn! So glad I did, though. :)

As for the Doves, well, when I started eating healthy, I just knew I couldn't make this a lifelong journey without including chocolate. I met Kathleen Daelemans (Food TV host I posted about the other day) in person right as I was starting my journey in summer 2003...this is a woman who lost a lot of weight and has maintained it over a decade...and she said to me "I could never keep a bag of chocolate in my house." So it's an individual thing. We all have our triggers. You probably have things you can control yourself with that I never could. So we each have to decide what is that one thing that I can control myself around and allow to have in my life as a treat? There are things that I could control myself around a year or two ago and no longer can. This makes me very sad and I don't know why that happens, but I have had to stop buying several "treat" products that I dearly love...like Yukon Gold potato chips, which are 40% less fat and 1000% more flavor than regular chips. I used to be able to eat a handfull and that was it. Now I want to eat the whole bag. What changed? I dunno. :(

Tazia: Congrats on starting Curves! Great job! I can't wait to get back from vacation and hear about you starting to go in the mornings. I sure hope that works out for you but I know it's not for everyone! :)

Lilybutt: I hear ya on the maintainable weight. There's the weight we might want to be and the weight we can live with and sometimes they aren't the same! Like I once weighed 94 pounds when I was 19 years old. But I KNOW there's no way I could maintain that now. Plus, I am SO much more muscular now than then because I never worked out then at all!

Kathy: Glad to hear you had a good visit with your friend from CT. I'm not looking forward to the hot part but hope at least that it won't be pouring rain or blowing hurricanes while we're down there!

Ann: It's good that you know what works for you and do it! I see people overdoing it in my aerobics class because they feel they have to do what everyone else is doing, despite the fact the others may have been taking the class for years. I know myself and my body and I do what works for me. If I feel my heart rate getting up too high, I march in place instead of jumping up on the step with the class. I think we all have to find what works for us and do it! :)

I better get myself back to work. You guys have a great day! This is my last work day before vacation...yippeeeeeeeeeee! :)

SheriaVa
06-03-2005, 10:54 AM
We had such a good run going with postings and then nothing all day yesterday. Was it something I said? (grin)

Anyhow, I'm home today packing and prepping to leave for Florida tomorrow. This will probably be my last visit to the boards before I go, so I thought I'd say goodbye and have a great week. I hope you guys keep the conversation going here and I look forward to catching up when I get back.

Keep doing the good work!

FlannelAnnie
06-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Hello peeps,
AHhhhhh FRIDAY at last. I love Fridays. It's so nice to know I can sleep in tomorrow morning. Although technically I guess it is Saturday morning. Anyway, I had a most excellent day yesterday eating wise. And I exercised. Today, well not quite so astounding. I did okay, but not great and I had apple pie with ice cream which was very yummy. I think it is important to do that though. In recent years I've said to myself, if I can't do this for the rest of my life I'll never keep the weight off. I am absolutely done with roller coaster dieting. Hope you all are doing well and hanging in there. Sometimes weekends can be rough as a single person I find, depending on if I have stuff going on. Trying to be better about making sure of that, but it's not always easy. Take care everyone and keep on plugging along. ~ Ann

JanetG
06-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi all,
It's kind of cool to read over the posts and realize we are all in some sort of exercize or another...that means we are finally putting it all together to suceed this time :workout: . In the past I have lost alot of weight by just dieting, but I could never keep it off for very long...gee, wonder why? Anyway, I am almost to the point where the exercise is more important to me than the eating. I used to have horrible problems with depression and I have noticed since I began to take exercise seriously, I have had a much more even moods and not as many blue days. I guess all those studies had something to them.

Planned on spending the day doing yardwork, but I was only able to get in about an hour before it started raining. It's nice out now, but I've totally lost my ambition. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. I went to the nursery and bought a bunch of annuals and can't wait to play in the dirt!

Tazia, I've heard good things about Curves. Alot of the members at my Weight Watchers meetings have mentioned it. How does it work? I know you go in and do a routine switching from machine to machine, or something like that. How many times a week do they recommend, and can you work out longer if you want? And don't worry about going mornings. It works for me, but I have always been a morning person (ironic that I worked night shift for 5 years). Do what feels best and is easiest, or it will be harder to keep up. And Lillibutt has a good point in that it is an excellent way to burn off a days stress.

Lillibutt - of course you can do it! You have had impressive weight loss down from 305 just 4 years ago. It's nice to have a goal in sight - hang in there you are doing awsome!

SheriaVa - I probably missed you before you go on vacation, but if not have fun and you'll have to fill us in when you get back.

Ann - Eat the pie!!! Life is too short to subsist on celery sticks or whatever! Just make sure you really, really want the pie and not eat it because you're trying to smother boredom, emotions, or whatever. If you just balance those "Pie days" with more "most excellent days" you'll do just fine.

Kat - congratulations on the new house, but isn't home ownership a b****? I love my house, but I find it hard to just sit and do nothing because there always seems to be something to do. But I still remember the day I closed 8 years ago. I slept on an air mattress on the floor with not a stick of furniture in the place (it was being delivered the next day) and just laying there thinking "this is my ceiling, this is my wall, this is my floor..." I grew up in a family of nine kids and all I ever wanted was my own space. I hope your new space is equally as special.

Okay, I'm rambling again...hope all is going well with everyone.

lilybutt
06-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Hello Everyone!

Kind of quiet here!

Had a few days away from home for work….glad to be home, but now I am busy getting ready for my trip to Europe…….I have never been that far away OR gone for that long ….so this is quite the process for me. Today I went out and picked up a few more things I thought I needed and then laid them all out tonight to see what I am missing…I think I got it all, but I am going to pick up some of those Brush-ups for when I am on the train and can’t brush my teeth!

Tomorrow I am going to finish up a few things at work and then lay out all me clothes and see what I need there….I think I have plenty of everything! Then Tuesday get my nails done and pack!

We leave early Wed. morning so it is really happening fast! I did get my TOM today!!! Yeah that will be one less hassle to worry about!

I spent the last few nights with the guy I have been dating......he hugged me goodbye this morning (he left for the week today) and told me to have the time of my life and he will be here when I get back! How sweet!

To everyone else…..keep up the good work…you all inspire me!

Lilybutt

corningkat
06-06-2005, 10:34 PM
hi singles! i am going to try this again! i was right in the middle of a long post and i got cut off so i hope it will not post both. i was saying that i am having some serious problems with my phone service and it is causing lots of problems with my online stuff. i haven't had a phone since last week. aacckk!
when i last posted about my friend visiting all your new posts weren't showing up and today when i finally got my phone service back, here are all these new posts before my last one. i am living in the boonies and all we have is ancient dial up and it's driving me crazy. i don't think it gets everything thru the lines fast enough and when i sign off it cuts the download off.

well, anyways i am soooo happy to see everyone!!!! :D

welcome back janet!! i'm so glad you came back. to make a long story short, i am actually taking over my parents house and trying to sell my house i've had only 2 years. and yes it is a major pain in the a**! i am trying to combine 2 households worth of stuff (mostly junk). it seems that anything that can break or go wrong is!!! this house was only used during the summer for so long that it has ruined a lot of things. it was not built to be a seasonal home with no heat in it during the winter, but that was what happened and i am having a hard time getting things up and running! i will get organized sooner or later!! :dizzy:

hi lilybutt! i hope you have a sensational time in europe!! what i wouldn't give to go on a vacation like that. maybe someday when i hit the lottery. :lol: soak it all in, because i'd love to hear all about it when you get back! stay safe!!

welcome ann! i am not a morning exerciser either. i can barely get up and get to work on time. i have seriously been slacking in the exercise department since all this chaotic moving. i have to get some kind of program going.

tazia - glad to have you! i have a friend that started curves last month and she swears by it now. she has lost mega inches! she goes 6x a week though. she is on a mission to look good for her son's wedding in august.

welcome back yp1!! i'm glad you had a nice holiday! i am lookin forward to my vacation at the end of july!!!woohoo! 10 whole days off from work!!!

a little more catching up on myself.... i am trying to get organized enough to have a little home gym area. i have invested in a couple of items..a total gym, a rebounder and a stability ball. of course, i also have the old dusty items and all the videos i have invested in and used only a few times so i guess i have enough to get my butt movin"!!!!! i have been going to ww but i am having no great successes there either due to a serious lack of motivation! i don't think i am going to spend the $ after my prepaid meetings are gone. i am thinking of rejoining my tops group though. it is much cheaper and i enjoyed the group of girls there. (i had to quit because i got bumped to a nite shift for a few years). so the only thing i am missing is a good swift kick in the pants!! but now that this thread is so hoppin' and inspiring, i have that too! :lol:

thanks so much for listening to all that!!! and thanks so much for all your stories. it helps to know that there are people out there like me sharing the same woes and learning how you deal with them is very motivational!!!

if the telephone service holds out... i will be back to visit tomorrow!
have a great day!
kathy

lilybutt
06-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Well my bags are packed and waiting at the door.....so I will "see you all" when I get back......best to all of you!
Lilybutt

corningkat
06-07-2005, 09:37 PM
hi singles!! now we have 2 vacationers. lucky them! good luck to both!

not too bad a day today. i still have a phone!!! :lol: had to go back to work today after a long weekend and that always stinks. :(

i hope everyone has a good humpday tomorrow!
kathy

JanetG
06-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Just checking in - our thread dropped all the way to the second page - had to do my part to bring it back up ;) .

Kathy - can relate to the slow internet. I finally gave up on my broadband. I loved it when it worked, but that was only about a third of the time. After working with Comcast extensively to get it fixed, I finally gave up. I was tired of paying for something I wasn't getting. I hate the slowness of dial-up, but at least it's reliable. DSL isn't available in this area yet, but I hear it's coming soon, so I'll give that a try when it gets here.

I can also relate to the slow going/motivation. I haven't lost any appreciable weight in the last 6 weeks. That is to say I have lost weight, but then I turn around and gain it back :^: . I vowed to get back on track June 1st and it's going well so far :crossed: . I've hit a plateau at 270 pounds. I heard once that if you spent alot of time at a specific weight on your way up the scale, that it's not uncommon to plateau at that point on the way down. I'm not sure if I totally believe that, but I did spend a couple years at this weight when I was in college, so maybe there is something to that theory. Weight Watchers can get pricey, and if you connect with the people at TOPs that can make all the difference in the world. I really love my WW leader and find her very motivating so that's why I stick with it. You gotta do what works.

Time to get back to the laundry...take care, all and I'll check back tomorrow.

SheriaVa
06-11-2005, 11:01 PM
I've hit a plateau at 270 pounds. I heard once that if you spent alot of time at a specific weight on your way up the scale, that it's not uncommon to plateau at that point on the way down. I'm not sure if I totally believe that, but I did spend a couple years at this weight when I was in college, so maybe there is something to that theory.

I haven't heard that theory before, but it sure makes sense. I've been plateauing for most of a year and I'm right at the weight I was for a long time in the 80s. But dang, enough is enough! I'm ready to get movin' again! :(

And, by the way, HI, I'm BAAAAACK!!! hehe

Family vacation in Florida was good...weather terrific. Only a few little family "moments." Started out REAL rough when the parental unit arrived, but things settled down and evened out for the rest of the week. There have been a LOT of conversations, though, between my mother and my older brother, and between both my brothers and myself, that I think have led to a MUCH better understanding of each other and of my mother's "strong" personality. Some individual discussions were also held with her (Mom), but I wasn't in any of them--was just told about them by my brothers. I am hoping that these conversations have enlightened her as to the cause of the tension in our family (i.e., her controlling behavior) and will give her food for thought about her controlling ways.

Good to "see" you all again and I hope everyone is well!

wanderlust
06-12-2005, 01:47 AM
[QUOTE=SheriaVa]
The world is often built for two and if you're looking for a place where you can hang out with other people who are single, you've found it here![QUOTE]

Hi there. I'm new and still finding my footing but I'm glad to see a place for the singles. Lately I'm feeling what SheriaVa wrote (above)... so I'm even happier that y'all are here.

I'm finding it more difficult than I'd like - to be here tho. [Please understand I mean no offense.] To be overweight and single. <sigh>. I'm hoping that in time it gets a little easier...

YP1
06-12-2005, 02:17 AM
I don't have huge problems being overweight and single, I quite like it. I actually find it easier to lose weight on my own - it means I don't get support, but I also don't get anyone sabotaging me!

Anyway, I'm meeting a guy this afternoon for drinks which is something I've not done for ages, very scary! We kind of know each other from talking online, but it was only after knowing each other a while that we realised he lives 10 doors down from me so we really should meet in person...

SheriaVa
06-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Welcome, wanderlust! I'm glad you've joined us. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to support and help you in meeting your goals!

YP1, good luck in your meeting! Let us know how it goes. I don't tell online guys exactly where I live because, if we meet and the meeting doesn't go well (esp. if he likes me but I don't like him), it can be uncomfortable at the very least or, at worst, he might become a nuisance. Hope it goes well!

corningkat
06-12-2005, 09:40 PM
hi singles! welcome wanderlust! we are happy to have you with us! as for being overweight and single... i am just used to it. my last steady was 1.5 years ago. sometimes i like being alone when i see what others go thru and i'm tired of being the "hurt" one in a relationship. there are also good points such as noone to tell you how or what to do, i can do whatever i want whenever i want without having to explain myself, and sometimes i just like the peace and quiet.

sheri - welcome back!!! :) i had to laugh when you said "parental unit". i haven't heard that in years. :lol: i'm glad you enjoyed your vacation. i am getting anxious for mine. i need a break.

janet -thanks for bringing us back to the frontpage! i vowed with my mother to start doing better this week. so far so good. i love my ww leader, she is so motivational and funny to boot. i am just thinking of the ol" $ signs. i haven't decided yet, but i'll probably stick with it.

yp1 - i hope your meeting went well. you'll have to give us the scoop.

as for me - i got a lot done this weekend. my basement is starting to shape up. i have room to set up my exercise stuff and i got the tv all hooked up for my videos. no more excuses!

well, it's getting late. i'm off to bed. have a good monday!
kathy

SheriaVa
06-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Hey ladies! Thought I'd share some good news. My weight was just slightly up when I got back from vacation but, since I nearly always retain water when I go on vacation, I figured today's weight would be a more accurate predictor than yesterday's. Here's the scoop:

Weight day before vacation: 152.4

Weight day after vacation: 152.8

Weight 2 days after vacation: 152.2

I didn't gain at all on vacation! Wheeeeee! I'm really happy cuz I usually put on 1-3 pounds when I go on a week-long vacation and am eating out nearly every meal.

wanderlust
06-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Congrats Sheri!!!!! Double winner... got to enjoy vacation AND maintain your weight!! :D

JanetG
06-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Grrrr - I had a reply all done and it disappeared! I hate when that happens!!! Where do they go anyway? Oh well.

Sheri - Good job!! :encore: It's a double bonus because not only did you not gain, you lost. You must have made some good choices eating out. Congratulations!!

Kat - Okay the gym is set up, now get you butt down there!!! :tread: Yeah, I know, easy for me to say. I'm kind of in a gym slump right now. I get in the groove and go most every day, but if I miss more than two days in a row, its hard to get started again. So I guess the key is to never miss more than one or two days, but that's easier said than done too!

YP1 - Well??? How'd it go? Come on, we're dying here... ;)

Wanderlust - stick with us and we'll take you places! :D It takes some effort to get going, but I hope we can be here for you to offer the support you need.

Well I better wrap this up - we have some strong electrical storms going through right now and I heard you shouldn't be online or you might fry your computer....hmmmm....I've been wanting to get a new one....

wanderlust
06-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi there folks. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm re-starting my journey and for some reason this time is emotionally-loaded and it's much harder for me to get in the mindset - so I'm especially grateful for your kind words.

I have an incredibly critical inner-voice. I've worked on calming it and some days are better than others. Something that helps calm it is hatha yoga. I broke my wrist 2.5 months ago while snowboarding so exercise really took a back seat. I'm just getting back to gentle exercise and I feel glad about it.

Exercise always makes me feel good so why is such a challenge a lot of time to get in the groove? (I like that Janet said that - it's true!)

Anyway, I'm feeling grateful for this outlet (which is a big step/leap of faith) and just wanted you to know it. Thank you! :^:

JuliaTN
06-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this site for a few days but didn't bother to register because I couldn't really relate to the mommies.

Here's my story: I've been the "skinny one" for most of my life until about 2 years ago when I got hit with a double whammy of excessive family stress & turning 30. From June 03 - January 05 I gained about 25-30 lbs. I've always said that the best way to lose excess weight is to get rid of a man and that seems to be proving true this time as well. Back in February I decided that it was time to stop the upward spiral and lost about 4 lbs from then until the beginning of May when a 4 year relationship ended. Since then I've lost another 7 lbs (getting back down to my "dating weight" is apparently good motivation) and I hope to get rid of the other 15-20 by the end of September.

It's nice to have some others in the same situation to share the journey.

SheriaVa
06-14-2005, 09:50 AM
I have an incredibly critical inner-voice. I've worked on calming it and some days are better than others.

Boy, am I familiar with Miss Critical Inner Voice! I have really struggled with it in the two years of my journey because I am SO hard on myself and can be so mean to myself (berating myself, calling myself names I would NEVER call anyone else, etc.). Everyone is always telling me to cut myself some slack when I have a slip up in food or exercise (I sometimes batter myself for ridiculously minor things!) and I've been working really hard on that this past year. I have come a long way but still need plenty of work.

I wish you the very best in calming your inner critic, and am so glad that you have found something (yoga) that helps you get a handle on that.

SheriaVa
06-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Here's my story: I've been the "skinny one" for most of my life until about 2 years ago when I got hit with a double whammy of excessive family stress & turning 30. From June 03 - January 05 I gained about 25-30 lbs.

Welcome, Julia! We're so happy you found us (I can't relate to the mommies either!). :)

I have been overweight since childhood (in varying degrees), so I can't relate to having been thin as an adult and then becoming heavier. However, I've talked to enough people that I can understand it could be a tough thing to deal with. There are people who are very overweight who may not be able to relate to your struggle because you have so little to lose, but it has to be difficult to have always been the thin one and suddenly be having to deal with being overweight. Let's face it, this society may be 64% overweight, but overweight people still get treated terribly and judged differently (more harshly) than thin people.

I hope you'll stick with us and together we can make changes!
Sheri

JuliaTN
06-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome Sheri!

"There are people who are very overweight who may not be able to relate to your struggle because you have so little to lose, but it has to be difficult to have always been the thin one and suddenly be having to deal with being overweight."

That's another reason that I've been more of a lurker. I have to say that I really admire a lot of the people on the board who have gone from 100+ lbs overweight. I realized though that we're really all in the same boat, there aren't many women who don't struggle with their body image in one way or another - anorexia being a fine example of that.

One of the hardest things for me is having a very pretty, vivacious (for lack of a better word), and overweight sister. All my life she's been the pretty one that everyone wants to be with & I've been the skinny one. It's been really hard realizing that now I'm not even that. And it doesn't help that she points and laughs while singing "now you know how I've felt all my life" whenever I complain about my weight. :) Everybody may love her but she really is evil sometimes.

The whole thing turned me into a very unhappy person and I only recently decided that if it's making me that miserable I need to do something about it rather than wallowing. So here's to taking control of my life and taking responsibility for my own destiny.:soap: Rant over

YP1
06-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Everything was a bit delayed but we're going out to the pub in... about 10 minutes. Eek! He just popped round and caught me doing my gardening with my (too big) jeans falling down badly.

I suppose it can't get too much worse...

SheriaVa
06-14-2005, 06:13 PM
So here's to taking control of my life and taking responsibility for my own destiny.

That's the spirit, Julia! Please let us know if there's anything we can help with. I have learned SO much from other people facing the same struggles as I on these online boards, so it never hurts to ask questions!!

Do you have a particular method of weight loss that you are using or planning to use? I haven't believed in "dieting" since I turned 40 so my strategy is a lifestyle change that involves eating lowfat, lots of fruits & veggies, high fiber, whole grains, little or no "white stuff" and exercising 5 days a week (combo of cardio, weight training and toning).

JuliaTN
06-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Everything was a bit delayed but we're going out to the pub in... about 10 minutes. Eek! He just popped round and caught me doing my gardening with my (too big) jeans falling down badly.

I suppose it can't get too much worse...

Not the dreaded plumber's crack! :lol: How did it go??

Do you have a particular method of weight loss that you are using or planning to use?

I started in Feb just going back to the gym but only lost 4 lbs Feb-late April. As of May 1 I started counting calories pretty strictly and I am just now realizing how much I was overeating before. My reasoning was that I only ate a small breakfast and then ate everything on the restaurant table for a late lunch and then no dinner at all. Oh, and perhaps a Coke & candy bar for a snack. It's amazing how much better I feel (and how much better I feel about myself) now that I can still breathe after I finish lunch!

I couldn't agree more about the "dieting" so I allow myself up to about 2000 calories one day each week. Even if I weren't doing that I don't think I would feel too deprived but that's because I'm really motivated right now. I know that once I get to my goal weight I'll have a hard time sticking to truly low cal so I'm hoping that my "off day" will mimic how I'll maintain.

notthechubbygirl
06-15-2005, 01:39 AM
I've been reading your posts and I hope you guys don't mind me crashing your party! Its so nice to know there are other girls out there like me. I can't really relate to all the mommy talk.

In all essence I should feel good about myself. I have a good job, I support myself, I have supportive, loving family and friends. And yet...In the past few weeks I have become thoroughly disgusted with myself. I have battled weight since I was in high school. But last year I got down to almost my ideal! Woohoo right. Now here's what's been going on in the last few weeks. I went to the club to dance with some friends. I heard two guys talking, one said, "Alright, I'll take the chubby one." Yep, he was talking about me. Ick. (note my user id) Next day I got to go to the doctor and get weighed. Yeah, I've gained 30 pounds in the last year. Then I went shopping with my sister-in-law. She just had my beautiful nephew a month ago-currently we are the same size. (I said nothing to her of course but she just had a baby!!!! what is my excuse?) My friend called me today...I wouldn't even go to the beach because I won't get near my bathing suit. I'm so mad at myself for letting this happen! I want to be happy!!! I really need some support from people who aren't my family...people feeling the way I do. I need some self-confidence-I know that's for me to work on!

I have put my finger on the problem, not too long ago I had a nasty break up. I realize I have been eating to form a little protective shell for myself. I want to break out of it now! I'm ready!

Thanks for your ears, and eyes! I'll be back!

SheriaVa
06-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Welcome, notthechubbygirl! Emotional eating can get to the best of us at times. It's challenging enough to stay on track when everything is going great in our lives but, when things get rough, it's SO easy to turn to food! Hang in there...you've taken the big first step of realizing that you need to take action and then reaching out to us here. Good job!

corningkat
06-16-2005, 05:31 PM
hey singles! welcome julia and notthechubbygirl!!! glad you could join us.

on the subject of the "inner critic"....my screams so loud i'm surprised all of you can't hear it. :lol: it seems to have been worse the last year because of the weight i've put back on. i recently read you should be as kind to yourself as you would be to others. i thought that was good advice and i'm also trying get that voice to quiet down.

tonite is my ww meeting and i'm nervous for some reason. i gave it a good effort this week and i will be dissappointed if i didn't lose. that's where i have a big downfall in my mindset for the next week.

janet - it is sooo hard to get that first workout in. i find so many excuses and they are all so logical to me when they are in my head at the given moment, but the next day i want to kick myself. i did get some walking in this week, but it wasn't really over exerting. i just walked the dogs, but i guess that's better than nothing. the other thing that bothers me is that i know it makes me feel so good, but yet i slack off. what is it i'm afraid of??? i just don't know.

sheri - congrats on the vacation maintainence!!!!:high: sorry i haven't been popping in regularly. this dial-up drives me insane. i will try to get here at least every other day. when things get settled, i will have more time on my hands that i will know what to do with.

yp1 - well...... we're suffering here..... :)

well, i have to get ready to head to my meeting. wish me luck!
kathy

JuliaTN
06-16-2005, 06:53 PM
the other thing that bothers me is that i know it makes me feel so good, but yet i slack off. what is it i'm afraid of??? i just don't know.

Me too! Me too! Once I get to the gym and get going I absolutely love it but trying to actually get there is another thing entirely. I've made myself go the last couple of days and feel much better for it.

corningkat
06-16-2005, 08:57 PM
well, i'm back from the ww meeting already and just thought i'd report in. i lost 1.5 lbs, so i was stressing for no reason. now i have another dilemma, i've been debating on going back to my TOPS group or staying with ww. my leader is going to be gone for the summer. she is the main reason i stuck to ww still. it took several meetings for me to find a good one and now she is going away for the summer. what to do, what to do??

julia - good for you for getting moving!!:cheer: we had to set a goal for this week and i put exercising 3x at least. if i get in 3 good sessions that will be a good start for me and i will be happier with myself. i'm not working this weekend (for a change) so i have no excuses for sat/sun.

have a good friday!
kathy

JuliaTN
06-17-2005, 12:46 AM
julia - good for you for getting moving!!

I might as well admit that I don't have a scale at home so in order to weigh myself I HAVE to go to the gym. Well, day #1 I went to the other branch of the gym and when I got on the scale (the sliding doctor's type) it didn't move within almost a 10 lb range - i.e. my weight could have been anything within that 10 lbs. So I had to go back to my regular one the next day in order to find out how much I weigh which was my real motivation for going day 2.;)

wanderlust
06-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Good for you Kathy! :D

HAPPY = that little ticker thing sliding! YAY! :D
(my first slide!)

SheriaVa
06-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Congrats on that loss, Kathy!

I'm a little disappointed because the scale is back up a bit after a drop right after vacation but, then, I've had salty things the past two nights for dinner so that could be partly the culprit. I just can't ever seem to stay consistently losing anymore. The scale is constantly up and down within a 3-4 pound range. SO frustrating.

Exercise is pretty much a constant in my life now. Last year, I was exercising 6 times a week and found myself getting really resentful about not having much downtime from it so I fell back to 5 X week and that has proved to be "just right" for me. And it's often enough that I can get a good mix of cardio, weight training and toning. I am a really big proponent of having a good balance of exercise. I think that, being over 50, if I had lost my weight without weight training and toning all along, I would have found myself a LOT less happy with my body right now because I think it would be droopier. As we age, we lose the collagen in our skin and it doesn't have the ability to "bounce back" as well. All the toning work I did while I was losing seems to have helped since the first place my guy friends noticed my weight loss was in my butt and thighs. heh

I know how hard it is to get started with the exercise and to build that habit though. Just keep working at it and get those good habits built. It was pure agony for me to build the habit of working out before work in the morning but it is such habit now that I hardly give it a second thought. And working out as often as I do was not an easy habit to build either...I'd always been a person who thought that working out 3 X a week was the most I could do.

Good luck to everyone in meeting their goals!

JuliaTN
06-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Hey Sheri - even if the scale isn't moving you at least know that a better diet & exercise will make you healthier and it will eventually get going again.

Congrats on the loss Kathy :goodscale

SheriaVa
06-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey Sheri - even if the scale isn't moving you at least know that a better diet & exercise will make you healthier and it will eventually get going again.

Thank you so much for that, Julia. That's what keeps me going every day--that I know it's the right thing to do for my health and it's not just about the scale or what size I am. At my age, and with my family's medical history, the importance of this cannot be discounted. I have already brought my cholesterol and triglycerides way down, my bone density is better and my blood pressure is better managed...all because I've been eating healthy and exercising regularly for almost 2 years (anniversary coming up July 1!).

Two things that the plateaus have taught me:
1) Weight loss isn't always going to happen on MY timetable. My body is going to do what it's going to do and I have to accept it. So I gave up on timetables a long time ago. At this point, I'll be elated just to lose the rest of the weight SOME DAY but hope it will be within the next year!
2) I'm going to be okay when I DO lose the rest of my weight and get to maintenance because I've already lived what maintenance is like through being on two months-long plateaus in the past two years.

corningkat
06-19-2005, 10:48 AM
good sunday morning! i hope everyone is having a great weekend. mine has been ok. i spent most of yesterday cleaning my upstairs rug, because my dog was sick. what mess that was and just how i wanted to spend the 1st saturday i've had off in a long time. today i am working on my getting the computer area organized and then going to a picnic later.

sheri- thanks for the words of encouragement. i'm sure your scales will be dropping back down. i found out last week when it was soooo humid that if i don't take my water pill daily (like i am supposed to) that my weight fluctuates 6 whole lbs. i couldn't believe it. that is a 1st for me. i think it is also age related.

after i work on my computer area i am going to do my watp tape for my 1 exercise session this week.

thanks everyone for the encouragement! have a good day!
kathy

wanderlust
06-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi folks. Just popping in to wish everyone well this week!

Cheers!

lilybutt
06-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Hello…..I am back!

I don’t have time to go back and read and catch up right now……got home last night at 2 am…… and have been unpacking and doing laundry and getting some errands done and RESTING!!!!

Had a great trip…..lots of walking….really thought I might actually lose weight on the trip but gained 4 lbs…not so bad for a 2 week vacation to Europe and I never deprived myself of anything……but walked A LOT!!!!!

I will try to write more in the next few days!

Lilybutt

corningkat
06-21-2005, 09:42 PM
welcome back lilybutt! way to go!! 4lbs isn't bad for a trip abroad. that will come off in no time. i've read that europeans do a lot of walking and that we should do more.

i got in a good 2hour session of hand mowing tonite. what a workout that was. it's all uphill. i think i sweated buckets. i feel good,even with sore feet. :)

not much going on here. where is everyone?? having a good week i hope!!
kathy

SheriaVa
06-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Welcome home, lilybutt! I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

I'm having kind of a "blah" week...kinda down in the dumps and real busy at work so I haven't been around as much.

Hope you're all have a great week!
Sheri

corningkat
06-22-2005, 09:24 PM
hi singles! we are finally on the downside of the work week. i got the rest of my place mowed and i'm good for another week i hope. i hate wasting my weekend mowing.

shere - i'm sorry you are having a "blah" week. be patient, the weekend is coming. you are probably just getting back into the swing of things after a nice vacation. i know i hate it when i have to go back. i hope your thursday is a good one!!

are we playing hide-n-seek?? i can't seem to find anyone. :lol:
kathy

SheriaVa
06-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks, Kathy! I AM feeling more positive today, though I can still feel the "grumps" from yesterday lingering just behind me. I'll try to keep 'em at bay today. :)

wanderlust
06-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Sheri: glad to hear you are felling better! :)

I've never heard of TOPS... I read the website... do you guys like it? What exactly is it? (thanks in advance)

P.S. HANDmowing! Good for you! Good exercise!! :D

lilybutt
06-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Okay..finally feeling up to function again…let me just say….jet lag sucks!!!!!!

Got back hoe from my Europe trip at 2 am on Monday night/Tuesday morning. The trip was WONDERFUL!!!!! Spent 3 days in London….very nice city. It was so clean for a big city! And the people could not have been nicer! The highlights in London were going to the theater and seeing Brooke Shields in Chicago and seeing the Queen and Camilla in the Queen’s birthday parade!

Then we moved on to Paris….not to offend anyone, but it was not my favorite place. The locals were rather rude, as I had been told they would be, and I guess I was not impressed. We went to the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, a riverboat ride on the Seine, Sacré-Coeur, Norte Dame, and just the sites in general.

Then we took a train overnight to Florence, Italy….Italy was awesome!!! Florence, Assisi, and Rome! LOVD THEM!!! The weather was hot and sunny, the sites were beautiful, the people were gracious and helpful, and the food was wonderful!!!! Assisi was my favorite…a quaint little town nestled in the mountains…..it was beautiful!

So that was the trip! Walked EVERYWHERE…but ate EVERYTHING, so gained a few pounds, but back down to the starting weight…so now tie to buckle down and get serious about it. I am setting small, reasonable goals. Exercise, eat healthy, and just take care of myself! Good to be back!

Lilybutt

SheriaVa
06-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Sounds like a marvelous trip, lilybutt! Thanks for telling us about it. I used to not have a lot of interest in seeing Europe but, now that I have seen some pictures of someone's European cruise and all the beautiful architecture and scenery, I'm a lot more interested! I also remember loving the Italian seaside scenery in the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley.

So glad you enjoyed your trip and good to have you home safely (jet lag and all hehe).

corningkat
06-27-2005, 11:29 AM
hi singles! busy,busy weekend! of course i had to work all weekend. then i called off today. when i got up my eyes were puffy and my hand stiff. i think it is from the heat. i took my water pill and not i am feeling better. it is hard to take them on the weekend because i am not always near a bathroom. :(

sheriva - sounds like your "grumps" are still at bay. i can all to well relate to them. i am glad you are feeling better and i hope this week is much better for you. at least we have a long weekend to look forward too. :D

lilybutt - your trip sounded wonderful. i never heard that the "french" were not so nice. i just finished reading "French Women Don't Get Fat" and France sounds like it would be nice to visit. i guess it would make it sound nice or else the book wouldn't sell. she did say that they can't believe the way our culture regards eating, so i guess that applies in other areas too. anyways, i did like the book too, it was interesting to read about the way french women regard eating.

wanderlust - tops is "take off pounds sensibly". it is a support group. they don't emphasize so much a specific eating plan. i like it, but i had to go back on 2nd shift and had to quit. it is also much cheaper.i think i am going to check out today's meeting.

well, i'm of to get something accomplished today. i don't know what yet though. have a good monday!
kathy :)

corningkat
06-29-2005, 09:35 PM
hi singles! looks like we are fizzling off again so here is a bump up. i hope everyone is having a good week. tomorrow will be a busy day at work as it is the last shipping day.

i did make it to my tops meeting and it was most of the same girls there. i can't believe they are still going. they were very happy to see me again. i think i will be much happier there instead of ww. i also like their scales better, i was about 5lbs less than the ww scale. :lol:

anyway, i have a busy weekend planned. i am going up to the lake for sat/sun and then i have to get my bathroom finished around that. i have to get this house in tip top shape before my mom comes on july 19th. busy, busy, busy. anyone else have any fun plans for the 4th??

happy thursday! :D
kathy

SheriaVa
06-30-2005, 08:46 AM
No big plans for the 4th here. My group of friends tend to be a spontaneous lot who aren't much into advance planning. LOL I did get invited to a picnic down by the Potomac River where you can see the DC fireworks from the Virginia side, but I don't think I'm going to go. Since I love seeing movies and haven't seen any in a while, I think I may try to catch up on seeing a few movies like War of the Worlds over the long weekend. We'll see!

corningkat
07-01-2005, 09:56 PM
hi singles! had to get on computer to check something so i thought i'd drop in. i probably won't be back till next week.

sheri - i hope you enjoy your movies. i don't see them till months later. i watch more during the winter months.

well, i'm off to pack my weekend bag and cooler. have a happy 4th!
kathy

JanetG
07-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi all...sorry I have been out of touch. Life got away from me again... some day I will learn to control my life instead of it controlling me :^: . I'm tired of always paying attention to the "should-dos" instead of the "want-to-dos" if you know what I mean.

Weight loss is doing pretty well. I've lost all the weight I put back on and now it's going back in the right direction. Enjoying all the fresh in-season fruits and vegies. Tried a Santa Clause Melon. I bought it on a whim and rather enjoyed it. Kind of tasted like watermelon, but the seeds were all in the center like a cantaloupe, so it was easier to eat. I've been trying to vary my diet some as I tend to eat the same things alot.

No plans for the fourth either. A friend from work who happens to be a master gardener is coming over to give me some advice on my yard. Half of me is excited for some new ideas, the other half is embarassed :o about how much more work I have to do out there. I've been in my house almost 9 years and this is the first summer I've had the energy to get out and put in significant time in cleaning it up.

Welcome back, Lillibutt. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I went to Germany/Austria once about 20 years ago and it was a blast. I'm glad you tried everything in the way of food. There is a definite time to indulge and that was it.

Kat & SheriaVa - this group would die without you two! Thanks for that. I don't contribute as much as I want to, but I do look forward to visiting when I am able. I find both of you and your perseverence an inspiration.

wanderlust
07-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi folks! Cat: thanks for the TOPS info. Glad the meeting went well for you! :) I'm not sure I can go to meetings... My weight is my personal nightmare - I don't think I can face other people - even for support. It feels intensely shameful.

It's been a bit challenging lately. I can't get out of my head: I'm feeling super self-conscious lately... I'm so uncomfortable in my body. The only upside is that I hope this motivates me to try and not feel like this forever.

Thanks for "listening".

lilybutt
07-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Hello to all.....
Well I am back on track (I hope).....I have about a week and 1/2 on my own....friends on vacation and no plans! So I am going to use this time to get back on the diet and get back to exercise! I leave for another vacation on the 14th.....just a long weekend on the beach.....so I would like to be under control by then!

Wanderlust....I know how you feel.....I have been self conscience lately too....it is TOM that is contributing to my feeling of BLAH.....but I do feel icky in general too...getting back on track will help me I am sure.

Janet....I laughed bout your yard....mine is the same way...actually this year I choose not to deal with the lawn and the weeds filled in and actually made it green!!!! LOL...I need to get on top of that too!

Everyone else....enjoy the 4th!!! I have no plans and like it that way...maybe I will read some books I want to read or go to the movies.....It will be all about me this weekend!!!

Lilybutt

bouba
07-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Hello, I was reading your thread and it seems very cosy in there and I am wondering If by any chance I could be part of your group I am from california and I need to loose about 55 lbs, I am separated from my husband and have a soon to be 3 years old son,
I have gained about 60 lbs for my pregnancy, lost 35 after birthing and gainded 15 back since the birth of my son, I first put all that weight on being depressed by the situation with my husband, but now he is gone and I am still fat!!! so, anyway I am also trying to find someone to budy up with and maybe we can support each other in good times and bad times.
Oh, by the way i am 37 year old, my spelling sometimes get screwed up and my use of the english language too, but you have to pardon me for that I am not a native english speaker.

JanetG
07-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Wanderlust - I wish I had something inspirational to say...we have all felt the way you are right now, but perhaps have not expressed it so clearly. I have felt there were times in my life that everyone was watching me and pointing at me behind my back. When I walked down the street and passed some teenagers and heard them laughing I swore they were laughing at me (****, they probably were). I've gotten to the point in my weight loss that I really don't care what people think. If someone I don't know and will never probably see again thinks I'm fat, so what? What's the worst? They will forget all about me 10 minutes after they see me, so I'll be damned if I will let their momentary feelings drag me down or make me feel less of a person. There are some really physically gorgeous people out there who are truely ugly because who they are inside. I don't know where you're coming from, but I like who I am on the inside, and now it's time for me to work on the outside. And because my outside just happens to be a bit larger than most, doesn't mean I am any less worthy of respect from others and myself. You've gotta do what feels comfortable for you, and we'll be here in cyberspace to support you. Do a group when you feel ready, but it probably won't be as bad as you think!

Lillybutt - I read you about the weeds. If I killed them off my yard would be dirt. And dandelions and Creeping Charlie can be kinda pretty if you look at them closely!

Bouba - welcome! Don't worry about your English - it sounds pretty good from where I'm sitting. I'm sorry to hear about your marital problems, but we can help support you with the weightloss part!

JanetG
07-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone,

Guess everyone is off doing the 4th of July thing - whatever that may be. I am engaging in my usual exciting pasttimes - laundry and balancing the checkbook. The excitement is overwhelming!

Just checking in to say hi and wish everyone a wonderful - and safe- 4th!

lilybutt
07-03-2005, 10:43 PM
LOL I know.....exciting weekend huh??!!! I was invited out to a friends for fireworks tonight (the 3rd), but choose to stay hom instead....really enjoyng the time alone I guess...read a book and 1/2 this weekend, mowed the lawn, went for a 3 mile walk, grocery shopped, vacuumed the house, did 4 loads of laundry (including bed linens), made dinner for myself both nights on my new gas grill, went a visited a friend, and played with kitties! I can her the fireworks going off about a mile from here, I will walk outside later and see if I can see them, but I doubt it...oh well, i have bad memories of fireworks with exs.....always resulted in a fight of some kind it seems.

I am looking at this weekend as a time to exert my independence and care for myself...gave mayself a pedicure last night.....might go get my nails done tomorrw, not sure it the mall is open, but I suspect it is....and ate healthy meals....LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

I wish all the singles freedom and independence!!!

Lilybutt

SheriaVa
07-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Happy 4th, everyone!

Janet: So good to see you posting!

Bouba: Welcome to the group!

This has been a really quiet weekend for me. My weekend began on Friday, July 1, with the 2nd anniversary of my healthy living journey. TWO YEARS! Wow. Time flies! I am so happy to be thinner and healthier than I've been in many years but there is no denying that it has been challenging. There are times when I have felt such despair (though fortunately usually only for a few hours or days) and times when I felt such joy and pride.

On Saturday after the gym, I made the big mistake of finally buying the PC game Sims 2 and I have been in the deep throes of addiction all weekend! LOL I have been a game nut for years...what fun! :)

wanderlust said: I'm not sure I can go to meetings... My weight is my personal nightmare - I don't think I can face other people - even for support. It feels intensely shameful.

You know, through the last two years of my healthy living journey, I have realized that while some people will certainly stare, most folks really are too wrapped up in their own stuff to even notice you're there.

That said, going to meetings isn't my thing either. I'm living proof that it's possible to go it alone in terms of not being on any formal plan. I haven't lost my weight as fast as someone who may be part of a formal plan and going to meetings, but I have learned that slow is okay.

The important thing is that, meetings or not, you make the changes that will lead to a happier and healthier you. I have found that having support--in the form of being able to talk to people who are in the same boat--is SO important--but that doesn't necessarily mean meetings. My support has been online--this board and one other that is like my second family.

JanetG said: I have felt there were times in my life that everyone was watching me and pointing at me behind my back. When I walked down the street and passed some teenagers and heard them laughing I swore they were laughing at me .

Something happened to me in Target on Saturday that was really tellling, I think. I have been heavy for many years and have been accustomed to hearing/seeing children/teens snickering (I am also unusually short, so the combination of the weight & height makes it worse). I was looking at CDs on Saturday and I heard a group of young boys behind me snickering. One of them said "Look at how ... she is." (I now realize that I didn't actually hear the adjective, but my brain inserted "fat" at the time) and then one said "Look how big her butt is!" and they collapsed in giggles. My heart sank (I was probably thinking "Even after losing half the weight I need to lose, I still need to hear this.") and, as I turned to face my accusers...they were playing a video game together and weren't even facing in my direction. Is there a slim chance that they were talking about me but turned to play the game by the time I turned around? Sure. But I really don't think that's what happened because they were fully engrossed in the game...one of those multiplayer X-box set-ups that some of the stores have...with their backs to me and facing up above their heads at the screen.

It really made me think about how you can lose all the weight you want to lose on the outside but it takes a lot longer to adjust to being thin in your head. For those who haven't read it, the nonfiction book "Passing for Thin" by Frances Kuffel deals with this very issue quite in depth. Frances had gastric bypass and lost half her body weight. While I can't say I finished the book liking Frances as a person, I greatly admire her for writing a book that helps us all grasp that just a smaller number on the scale isn't all there is to weight loss. Whether gastric bypass or not, whether 150 pounds overweight or 50, it is recommended reading for anyone struggling with body image issues.

wanderlust
07-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Thank you (all) for you support. I really appreciate the input and guidance.

I just have to find my faith in myself again (it got lost along the way) and "sign on".... in the meanwhile I appreciate all of your "presence". :goodvibes

wanderlust
07-04-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm going for a double post!

Just flew to CA for about 1.5 days to attend a friend's wedding. I didn't know anyone (literally) except for the groom. I tell ya - it was one of those times that I LOATHE being single. I'm hoping I passed for "Mysterious New Yorker" versus "Anxious single girl that knows no one".... Thankfully, at the reception a lovely couple included me in their conversation. It would have been one of the longest nights of my life if they hadn't.

That was kinda random and didn't have anything to do with weightloss... more towards the single slant... haha

lilybutt
07-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Wanderlust......I so totally understand!!!! I hate those kind of events....I skipped my 25th class reunion this week, because I feel like loser going alone...although I know others go alone...I just feel self conscience enough at my weight that I don't need to add to it.

On the otherside of things.....it has been a good day being single....laid around the house watching crappy TV until noon, went out and washed and detailed my car, took a short nap, went for a 3 mile walk, showered and ate.....now more junk TV.....sometimes it doesn't get better than this!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Lilybutt

JanetG
07-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi all - just checking in - trying to get better about posting instead of popping in reading what's going on with everyone and popping back out.

Had a pretty uneventful day - just the way I like them. Went to the YMCA first thing and got the exercise out of the way. I've been kind of slacking in that area, especially the weight training, so I decided I better get serious again. I'm going to try to make it 5 times this week - we'll see. Then I came home and did 3 hours of "rock mining". The previous owner of my house put landscape rock EVERYWHERE. The only problem is that I have alot of pine trees that drop needles on top of the rock, the needles eventually turn to compost then weeds grow in the compost. Very, very ugly. So I have been sitting down and picking rock out of compost by hand. I have someone that wants the rock, I just have to gather it up. Very slow going, but not as bad as it sounds. It's very mindless and gives me time to just sit outside by myself and solve all the world's problems.

Happy Anniversary SheriaVa! It is so true what you said about balancing the inside with the outside. I still have problems shopping for clothes, because I have a hard time believing I am still not a size 34. It takes forever because I have to try on 4 sizes before I hit on the 22-24s. Why I don't just go for that size first is beyond me. Maybe I just don't want to be disappointed if they don't fit? Maybe because I am so used to wearing loose clothes to try to hide the fat? (Who do we think we're fooling by wearing big clothes?). I see big women wearing fitted clothes and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I still applaud them for having the courage and the body confidence to even try. I hope I get there some day.

Anyway, time to sign off and get to bed. Afterall, it is a "school" night!

SheriaVa
07-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Maybe because I am so used to wearing loose clothes to try to hide the fat? (Who do we think we're fooling by wearing big clothes?). I see big women wearing fitted clothes and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I still applaud them for having the courage and the body confidence to even try. I hope I get there some day.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes, Janet. I wore everything big too when I was larger. It has been an adjustment for me to learn to wear clothes that are actually the size I AM. What motivates me is that, every time I do wear more fitted clothing (can't stand wearing tight clothes, I'm talking clothes appropriate to my size), I get lots of compliments. It was a LONG time after I lost weight that people started to notice. In part because I was still wearing the old size clothes for a good while and, in part, because I was having such a hard time getting used to the idea of not continuing to buy new clothes that were too big. Also, I wear suit jackets to work most days and that covered up a lot. When summer came last year, people were like "WHOA! You've lost weight!" LOL and I would laugh inside because I'd lost weight well before that and no one noticed. Better noticed late than never! ;)

As for big women wearing VERY fitted (skin-tight) clothing, that isn't something I find appealing. There are a few women in my office who do it and it bugs me, truth be told. They dress VERY well and, in fact, wear very nice clothing, but I have a hard time getting past the fact that EVERYTHING is hanging/bulging out to appreciate the style. These are very put-together women in terms of hair, makeup, matching shoes, etc...but all I see is sausage casing. Now do I admire them for having the positive self-image to wear that stuff? Sure. I can appreciate and envy that kind of self-confidence while not actually appreciating the look itself.

Last year, I bought a top at TJ Maxx that I would normally NEVER buy. It isn't tight, but fitted, and but it is made of a drapey fabric that hugs my breasts with a V-neck...very sexy. I've only worn it outside the house once in a year (and that was with a shirt over it because I was still (*I* felt) too big in the midriff to look good in it). I bought it because, when I was in the dressing room trying it on, and I turned around to look at myself in the mirror, I gasped. I was sexy. I was thin(ner). It made me feel like a million bucks, that top. So I said to myself "If this is under $20, I'm buying it...just because it makes me feel so darn good!" And I closed my eyes and then felt for the price tag under my left armpit...and it was around $15 so I got it. :)

One day, I will wear it to a party or something with a pair of black pants or a skirt and I will be in my glory that night. :)

corningkat
07-05-2005, 09:57 PM
hi singles! welcome bouba!!! i had a great 4th of july weekend. it was really nice to get out, relax, and just enjoy. i very rarely go out, i usually stay home read, etc...the very things some of you welcomed is the story of my usual life. i needed a change.

wanderlust - i had that happen this weekend. i met a nice guy but was sooo self concious i wasn't sure if he was sincere or making a joke of me so needless to say that went nowhere because of my low self esteem. it made me do some thinking though.

july is a busy month for me. i have shutdown in 2 weeks (cant wait :happy:).
i am going to NYC to visit family and get the big tour. i haven't seen some of the stuff since i was little and want to see it now so i can appreciate where my mom grew up. so far the plans are a cirle line tour, yankees game, and a broadway show. i'm gettting so much excitement in a month i don't know how to handle it??? :dizzy:

janet - don't go too far from us. we are here to pick you up and help out in gloomy times. i am spending this year getting the house settled the way i want and i will do the yard next year. i am in a mad rush to get the bathroom finished before my mom gets here in 14 days. i did one coat of paint tonite and got the old toilet ripped out today. i hope to have it done by this weekend. that is half the battle to get things organized for my mother's visit. i want everything just right so she can see i can handle it.

sheri- congrats on you 2nd anniversary and thanks for all the wisdome and kind words you have shared from your learning experiences. it really helps us out.:thanks:

well, i'm really pooped so i'm off to bed. nite everyone! happy hump day!
kathy

lilybutt
07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Oh my....I have been so good lately...even have managed to have ice cream in the house and have eaten my ration of 1/2 cup.....but seems like no changes in weight....Seems like I get to this weight, around 238-240, and I get stuck. I exercised but ended up with a new blister.....new shoes and a wrinkled sock...grrrrrr, so took the day off so not to irrate it anymore....I will do my arm weights later.

Anyway, just wanted to check in....I am here, but haven't felt like I have much to contribute....just trying hard to stay the course!

Kathy...glad you enjoyed your weekend!

Sherie....I know EXACTLY what you mean about clothes. I waver between buying clothes that are slightly too big.....out of habit usually....and I know that it just looks like I am covering myself up...well I am....but I try to buy a size that fits....I know it looks better, even if it clings a bit! but still it is hard! I am trying to be more fashionable.... :)

Janet....how ambitious to dig out all the pine needles...I am impressed!

Later chickies!
Lilybutt

bouba
07-07-2005, 11:38 PM
I am sorry, I am asking if I can join and then disappear, i would like to thank you all for welcoming me. I was away for the week end came back on tuesday, but after I weigh myself I felt so disgusted :mad: , today I booked my trip to france, (I was'nt suppose to go, only my son and his godfather and his son were, but after the events of this morning in London I felt I can't let my son be away for so long. And also, by being there I will make sure we rent a car and do not use public transportation which is a a target in europeen countries. I might be overeacting, but my son is only 3 and if something happen I need to be there.
Anyway, I have a new goal I would like to loose about 15 lbs by july 27th. do you think that is possible. And do you have any suggestion. my weight is 200lbs i am 5'8. would really like to loose those 15 lbs before I go see my family.
thank you again,

SheriaVa
07-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Anyway, I have a new goal I would like to loose about 15 lbs by july 27th. do you think that is possible. And do you have any suggestion.

Losing 15 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks MAY be possible, but it certainly isn't healthy. Most experts agree that a healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds per week. You would have to lose at least 7 pounds per week to lose 15 pounds by July 27, which is more than triple the healthy weight loss rate.

My suggestion is to start eating healthier and exercising regularly and shoot for losing 5 to 7 pounds. If you haven't already been cutting back on your calories and eating lowfat, you may have a substantial water-weight loss in the first week, and that could boost your total weight loss. My suggestions:

1. Drink at least 48 oz. of water a day; 64 oz. is even better.
2. Eat at least 5 servings of fruits & vegetables a day. I suggest no more than 2 servings of fruit a day because they're high in sugar. The more fresh veggies you can eat, the better. Frozen is next best, last is canned.
3. Reduce the amount of simple/refined (white) carbs you're eating and increase the amount of complex (brown) carbs. For example, switch from white bread and pasta to whole wheat and switch from white rice to brown.
4. Watch your sugar intake...1 bitesize piece of high quality dark chocolate is better than eating a whole candy bar that won't satisfy you as much.
5. Eat out no more than once a week. Cook & pack a healthy lunch if you work outside the home.
6. Exercise at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes per time. Get your heart rate up with cardio but don't ignore toning and weight training. Weight training or resistance exercise builds muscle and muscle burns fat.
7. Portion control what you eat...weigh it, measure it, or learn to visually measure it. For example, a serving of meat should weight 2-3 oz. or be about the size of a deck of cards or the palm of your hand.
8. Don't skip meals. In fact, try to eat something about every 3 hours from the time you get up until 3 hours before you go to bed. What I do is eat breakfast, then have a snack mid-morning, then eat lunch (lunch is my main meal of the day), then eat a snack mid-afternoon, then eat a light dinner, and MAYBE have a small snack after dinner.
9. Everything in moderation. If you try to force yourself to give up everything you love, you will only increase your craving for the foods you are denying yourself. If you're really craving something, have it. But have just a tiny bit and only once in a while.

Hope that helps.
Sheri

SheriaVa
07-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Wow...quiet around here. Is everyone out partying this weekend or did I scare you all off with my last post? LOL

Xena2005
07-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Singles! Just where I need to be. May I join you? I can relate to all who said, "I can't relate to the mommies." Nothing against mommies, mind you, but the single life is a much different one from the mommy life, to be sure.

Just a brief intro: I am 35, divorced since 2000, no kids, 2 pets - a dog and a cat who I love to bits. Am currently at my highest recorded weight. From looking at pictures, I am pretty sure I weighed more in high school, but I refused to get on a scale back then so I am not really sure. My lowest weight ever was 160 and I looked pretty good then. (I am 5'11") My goal is somewhere around 165. I've done all the diets in the past. Wish I could have all the money back I have spent on meetings, prepackaged food, supplements, etc. Anyway, I am currently doing WW on my own. Lord knows they have made enough money off of my many stops and starts over the past 7-8 years! :lol:

I guess that is it for now. I look forward to getting to know everyone better and to all the support. Have a great Sunday afternoon, everyone!

cuqt
07-10-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm single as well... 22... never been married (did live with a guy for 2 years however)... no kids... I don't feel like I can should even bother dating again until I am in control of my weight again. I am definitely too young to be getting married but it depresses me that my weight could be keeping me from meeting my soulmate :(

SheriaVa
07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Welcome, Xena and cuqt!! So great to see new people in our little corner of the world. Look forward to getting to know you both.

lilybutt
07-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Hi and welcome to the new friends!!!!! :wave: Seems this particular board can get quiet form time to time, but don’t despair…..we seem to chime back in! Speaking for myself, I tend to read and wait until I have something to add, so just because I haven’t posted doesn’t mean I wasn’t here!

Sheri….No I pretty sure you didn’t scare anyone off! Those were all great reminders of just plain old healthy habits…..Thanks for the reminders! :goodvibes

Xena…..Love your kitty!!! Looks like a tortishell calico….I had one named Sophie, she has been gone for a while now though…she was a sweetie! Now I have 3 new kitties…..not all at once, but as my old girls left me, I got new ones…..I love them to death! I will reintroduce myself to you….I am 43, never married, no kids, except the furbabies! I hear you bout the money….I lost over 100 pounds once on WW…took about a year and ½. I did great, but then had some health problems and gained it all back plus. Been working on it little by little now, was at a high of 320, but done to 236 as of today!!!!! :goodscale By just counting calories, I use Fitday, exercising, although I haven’t done much this summer!, and trying to eat healthy. Sometimes being single make that easier, but sometimes it makes it harder. I finally got myself a new gas grill, and have been grilling out chicken, ground turkey, shrimp, an occasional hamburger, steak or pork chop. So I find I am not relying on the Lean Cuisine’s as much as I have in the past and feel much more satisfied. I am in educator and off for the summer, so cooking is it easier right now, when I go back and the weather gets cold, I sure I will back to them!!

Cuqt…..now now now, I am feeling a bit motherly which is VERY unlike me, :crazy: but don’t let you weight keep you from dating…..I know it is easier said than done, but I have had a much happier and more fulfilling dating life overweight than at an “ideal”. Why…not sure, but I am much less focused on food (I find I don’t like to go out when I am on a roll losing, even on a date….don’t want to “go off the diet”). And maybe I find others attracted to ME…not the way I look. Now I do have 20+ years on you, so I have no idea what the “young men” are like today, but the key for me seems to be to live a healthy lifestyle, and try as much as I can to be happy in my life, and then things just seem to fall in place….Polyannaish I know, but it really works for me!

Everyone have a great start to the week!!! :bubbles:

Lilybutt

corningkat
07-10-2005, 09:38 PM
hi singles!! welcome xena and melissa! i'm glad you could join us. :)

had another busy weekend. i'm always doing something in summertime. i went to a zztop concert last nite. i was feeling the effects of a few too many cocktails this morning. :dizzy: today i had a bridal shower at 1pm and a bday party at 3pm. what a long day feeling the way i was. i have to go to my tops meeting tomorrow and weigh in. that should be interesting.

i finally got my bathroom finished wed/thurs nite. it looks really nice and i even impressed myself. i was up really late finishing it and was pooped on friday.

sheri - you always give good advice so don't think you scared anyone away. and we appreciate the advice too.

melissa - i am going to be 40 soon and i have that dating phobia thing too. i am working on it though. i am trying to change my mindset from being so self concious. i don't think people are as critical as we think. my last guy did quite a job on my self esteem and that is a big problem i am working on. i used to be outgoing and it seems the last year i clammed up from the world but i am feeling better this summer. i am forcing myself to go out and do things which is making me feel like i was missing the old me and it is getting easier.

lillybutt - i too love my furbabies. i have 2 doggies that i love dearly. they say you have one pet in your life that you just bond with perfectly and my molly is that one. i've had her since she was a pup and she will be 12 this year. my 2nd girlie, missa, i recently acquired custody from a friend because she was too much for her to take care of. missa belonged to another friend before that so i have known her for a while and couldn't stand her going to strangers so i said i'd take her.

well, i have to hit the hay and get rested up from the weekend. have a great week. only 9 more working days till vacation for me. woohooo!!!
kathy

SheriaVa
07-11-2005, 12:28 AM
So...where do you ladies meet men that you date? I haven't dated in several years (since the last one moved to California) and it seems that part of the problem is that I just don't get anywhere to meet men. When I was young, I went out to bars all the time and met loads of guys that way...but, then again, that isn't the best way, I think. Now, if I go out, it's to a restaurant with a group of friends and that isn't exactly easy to approach!

I get some appreciative looks as I'm driving down the road but where is that going to get me? LOL I have had an older man or two be a little friendly in the grocery store (a first for me--I used to hear of people hooking up in groceries and thought it was an urban legend!) but I'm not into older men! LOL

So...where do you find them? Or do they just find you? :)

cuqt
07-11-2005, 04:20 AM
lilybutt and corningkat, thanks for the encouraging comments! sheriaVA - i was wondering the same thing. i definitely i am not interested in the bar scene right now. i've been contemplating going to church activities ... i figure if i'm going to find a good, smart, not so judgemental guy... i'll probably find him at church.

of course it would help if i could lose some weight and get into some pretty "church clothes" again :P

lilybutt
07-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Hello all!

Getting ready to head off for another vacation……go out of tow for two days fro work, then leave on Thursday for a long weekend in Myrtle Beach with my boyfriend…..he is there on business…so I am joining him. Really looking forward to time relaxing and fresh seafood!!!!

Kathy….Ooooooo too many cocktails LOL ……been there done that!!!

So where do I meet men….well actually right here on the internet…..I have been doing the personals on and off for 4 years……I met one guy at a bar that I went out with…he ended up driving me around town with a suspended license……he didn’t call me for a month, but called again we he was released from jail for driving without a license…needless to say I never went out with him again. I have to say that with very few exceptions, the men I met on the personal site have been nice decent men. I like that I can get to know them a bit before I actually meet them. I have never felt unsafe about it…..I think it is a good alternative…works for me at least. But I have been dating someone for a year now…..so not out looking right now.

Well I have lost 9 lbs., and am over half way to my goal…..not sure I will make it, but I will try my hardest….wanted to be done to 230 by Aug 8th……I don’t think this trip will be a problem with the seafood, so I will give it my all!!!! Have a good week!

Lilybutt

Xena2005
07-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Good evening all! Thanks for the warm welcomes. I was up a pound at weighin today. Had a bad eating day yesterday so I had a pretty good idea that I had sabotaged myself. Trying not to beat myself up too much and have a good day tomorrow.

As for meeting guys....jeez, it's been awhile. I did match.com about a year and a half ago. I only ended up meeting 2 guys in person. One was very very nice, but we just didn't have any chemistry. The other I dated for a couple of months and slowly I began to realize he was a whack-o. I had never dated anyone who was emotionally abusive before so I didn't see it for what it was right away. Once I realized what was going on, I gave him the heave-ho, but I was still pretty wounded. Have given up on the dating scene since then. That is a very bad habit of mine....becoming a hermit for long periods of time after a bad experience. I admire those who can get right back up on that horse.

lilybutt - Thank you for your kind remarks about my kitty. She is a sweet little girl, that is for sure. She is the first cat I've ever had. She was one of a litter my dad had for barn cats at his ranch and I ended up taking her home. That was 5 years ago. My dog wasn't too thrilled at the time, but they get along and play and wrestle with each other now so he got over it. :lol:

Time for me to hit the rack. Need my beauty rest. ;)

corningkat
07-12-2005, 08:08 PM
hello singles! i gained 1.75 at my tops meeting last nite. i'm not despairing. i did commit to be a team captain in a fitness challenge so now i have no choice but to get up and move. i just finished 2 miles on a watp video. it feels invigorating since i haven't move much lately.

sheri - as for meeting guys, i have no luck either. mostly my friends are always trying to hook me up but it never works out. they mean well though.

lilybutt - have fun on your vacation. the beach is the thing i miss most about connecticut. it is my favorite place to be. i think very clearly and feel the most relaxed in the salty air.

well, i'm off to relax, then hit the hay. have a good humpday!
kathy

SheriaVa
07-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Don't have much to share...just thought I'd pop in and say hi! Hope you all have a great day. Have a wonderful vacation, lilybutt!

wanderlust
07-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Lilybutt: what sites have worked for you? I have tried eHarmony and met a few nice guys... but no chemistry. I'm also overly-sensitive about my weight so I'm guarded. How do I get over that? I'm isolating myself - I just can't fathom that someone would take an interest in me (being overweight).

I hope all of you are doing well.

lilybutt
07-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Wander...no real time to post...leaving in th AM for vacatin...but will answer later! See you all next week!
Lilybutt

SheriaVa
07-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Happy Friday, all! Wishing you a marvelous weekend.

I guess it's about time we think of moving to Singles #5 thread, eh?

I think we had been flipping over once we got up to 6 or 7 pages and we're up to 10 pages at this point. Hope we won't lose the newbies but, as always, I will put links in both ways (i.e., linking old thread to new and new to old, for those who want to read more about us and our history).

corningkat
07-17-2005, 08:49 PM
hi singles! another weekend over. this one wasn't so exciting for me. i worked all weekend. had to get as much OT in as i could for vacation next week. the rest of the time i spent mowing and cleaning house for my mother's pending arrival on tuesday. i am pooped from all this work.

i talked to my aunt(who is giving me the grand tour of NYC next week) and we are going to see all the usual sites and i am going to see the yankees vs. twins. i can't wait to see derek jeter in action. i get goose bumps just thinking about it. :) anyways, i am not sure when i will get back to check in because i will busy with my mom this week and on vacation next so keep things going strong.

sheri - i think you are right about a new thread and as usual we thank you for starting it.

have a great week!
kathy

cuqt
07-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Lilybutt: what sites have worked for you? I have tried eHarmony and met a few nice guys... but no chemistry. I'm also overly-sensitive about my weight so I'm guarded. How do I get over that? I'm isolating myself - I just can't fathom that someone would take an interest in me (being overweight).

I hope all of you are doing well.

I put up a free ad at "overweightdate.com"... (I was in this phase where I wanted to date again for a while - recently though that's worn off). I figured at least I wouldn't have to worry about my weight being an issue on a site like that. I got a lot of responses but nobody that really interested me so far. One thing about the site that annoys me is that people from "other interest groups" can do a search for results from "all" of the different interest groups....... so like, I got some people that had joined "military singles" or some other types of singles groups and they didn't realize that I was on "overweightdate" -- so they didn't know I was overweight. So uh yeah that was awkward explaining that .. and of course military guys are all buff.

Family Guy is on.. wuuhoo!!

lilybutt
07-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Hello all.....

Back from Vacay again!!!! Had a great time with the BF in Myrtle Beach..but jeez it was hot!!!! Stayed in the air conditioning during the day and went out at night. Ate WONDERFUL seafood......crab, grouper, mahi mahi, more crab, and drank some wine. Had a midnight walk on the beach...very romantic!!!! But back now and back on my plan and restarting the exercise.....walked 3 miles yesterday and got two blisters! Jeez...that is what I get for walking in sandals! Okay...maybe the Y and stationary bike today!

Good to read everyone's posts and a big welcome to all!!!!

Not going to weigh right now...going to wait until I am back on track for a few days! Well the laundry awaits!!!!

About the dating.....I have had the best luck on Yahoo Personals of all places...seems so generic!!! But met nice average men there. Had a few one night dates and no calls afterward.....you really need to have thick skin to do the dating thing!!!! But dated one guy for 4 months until I realized he really wanted to marry his mom.....and I am not anyone's mother!!!!! I ended that and met my ex fiancé...I know EX.....but it was a year and a half relationship that he ended to go back to "finish things" with an ex of his....hmmmmmm...it has been a year now and he still hasn't "finished things"...Good Riddens! I met my new BF on Yahoo also....I guess I like the chatting online first for a month or so before I meet him.....seems I get to know them by then and actually meeting them is easy! As far as the weight issue goes....I am honest and if they get turned off right away...then I know that they are not interested in me, but in a "body" and I am MUCH more than that!!! so I know very soon! I do think that the 40+ set does see things a little different than maybe the younger crowd, but I could be wrong there. I did start a chat with a guy that I knew would not be interested in me after we met.....he was into fitness and biking, talked alot about "sexy fit bodies" I told him he would not like me based on that...but he insisted we meet....so I did and about laughed when he saw me.......we went out for ice cream...he "forgot" his wallet at home and I ended up buying LOLOLOL...then went for a ride and talked....the talk was interesting and we actually had a lot in common......he dropped me back home and sent me some websites we had talked about and dropped of the face of the earth! LOLOLOL...I emailed him and thanked him for the websites and talk...but he never responded.....again....I laughed I knew he wouldn't be interested!! So I moved on!!!!!

Later Lilybutt

wanderlust
07-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the input on dating websites girls. I'm not sure it's for me - but I'm glad to hear it's working.

I'm feeling really lonely right now.... like it's reached it's fever pitch. My birthday is in a few days and it feels very empty... like I should be somewhere other than here struggling (as always) with my weight, single, no family of my own... whereas all my friends have husbands, babies, new homes... I keep thinking it (all) will get better and it hasn't...

I'm just very very tired of working so hard for everything...

SheriaVa
07-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Lily: I can't believe that bit about him forgetting his wallet! GEEZ! What a maroon! It makes me nuts when you tell guys that you aren't their cup of tea but they insist on meeting you anyway...cuz we always end up getting our feelings hurt in some respect in the end. GRR.

Wander: I'm sorry you're feeling lonely...I know it can suck. But you know what? I'm 52 1/2 and never married and haven't even had a boyfriend in 7 years...and I survive. I have a nice life...it's not the wildest most fun life a person could have, but it's a quality life. I know it's hard, but try not to feel like your life can't begin until you have a man or a baby. Life is short. Live it now so you won't regret it later!

I so know what you mean about working so hard for everything, though. Here I am telling other people I work with how to eat healthy and exercise and they are having success implementing my suggestions...and yet here I am still plateauing. It makes me NUTS!!! But I hang in there because the alternative is gaining the 30 pounds back and I don't want that!

Hang in there, girl!

lilybutt
07-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Oh ya…..I have other dating stories…..There was the guy who picked me up for a first date and drove me around…then didn’t hear from him for over a month….when he called I found out that he had been in the county jail for getting caught for driving without a license ( lost it because of drunk driving). Well I did give him another chance, but drove this time, but it just wasn’t there so I told him I wouldn’t see him again. LOLOLOL

Wander….I know it is hard, but being alone does not equal loneliness…..some of my most lonely times have been in bad relationships…at this time I would rather be alone than in a bad relationship. I am dating someone right now…..but he travels a lot and works long hours on occasion, so I use my time alone to focus on me. I consider these times to really buckle down and stick to the diet and exercise. When he leaves for a week at the end of the week, I am going to a concert with a girl friend, out for drinks with a male friend, clean my house and read some books I want to read. I really do cherish my time alone. I am 43 and it took me a while to get to this place in life, but I love it here. I went to Europe with a girl friend this summer….something I NEVER would have done had I been in my past relationships…..wouldn’t leave for 2 weeks or have the money to do so!!!! I have a variety of friends I do different things with…married w/ children, married w/o children, single in relationships, single not in relationships, and even male friends to hang out with….I do understand how you feel, it is hard, very hard, but focus on what YOU really want to do….hire a personal trainer, get a facial, get a massage, go for a walk, read, get your nails done, treat yourself with kindness!!!!

Lilybutt

wanderlust
07-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Thank you for your postings ladies!!

corningkat
07-21-2005, 10:36 PM
hi singles! my last check in before vacation. my mom got here and loves all the things i did with the house so all my hard work paid off. she is having a hard time being here without my dad though.

i've been busy all week getting ready for my trip. went to fashion bug and got a couple outfits tonite. i am really beginning to hate shopping anymore. it's a total drag with the weight i have gained the last year. but i guess as long as i am not going without i can't complain too much.

wanderlust - happy bday early!!!

as for dating, i agree with shere. i do get lonely sometimes but i'm not letting that stop me anymore. i can have fun without a man at my side. actually, i think i have more fun without one. :lol:

well, have a good week and keep things going around here. if i get bored anytime while i am sitting around my uncle's house i'll check in.
kathy

SheriaVa
07-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Just a quick pop in to say TGIF, ladies!!! The weekend, oh joy! :)

Good to year from ya, Kat! Glad Mom is appreciating all your hard work. Have a wonderful trip!

SheriaVa
07-22-2005, 09:03 AM
I've started a new thread for us, Singles Supporting Singles #5, since this one was getting a bit long in the tooth!

Here's a direct link to jump to there from here. Don't forget to subscribe to the new thread so you can get it on your list of subscribed threads. :)

Singles Supporting Singles #5 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=908545#post908545)