Support Groups - Battle of the Bulge #15- Fresh start

Crime girl
04-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey everyone!
Here is our new thread. I think maybe we should shake things up a little so let's change what we talk about each day:

Sunday- Still goal setting, weight check in (starting this over), and goals for the week.
Monday- Support and let's talk about what sabotages us- barriers to weight loss and how to handle them.
Tuesday- "What have you been eating" since last Tuesday- maybe ideas for low fat, low calories things to eat. Recipes etc.
Wednesday- "What have I been doing to shake my bootie"- ideas for exercise, ways to fit in time to shake it , and routines.
Thursday- Support and "one thing I have changed" day- this means one thing I have changed this week to make my life better or weight loss easier.
Friday- TGIF so support and advice for others- whatever you think will help everyone- links to sites, advice, etc.
Saturday- Recap day and give yourself a score of how you did for the week- everyday you meet a goal give yourself a point- so if your goals are to eat on plan, drink 8 glasses of water, and exercise 20 minutes a day you have 3 possible points you can earn.

Okay - well need to run for now. I will pop on later to chat and set my goals for the week.
For all you lurkers- join us! I would love to get this busy again and it is a good time to start with us so come on in! :D
Hope the changes will be good for everyone. If there is a day you don't like- speak up and we will change it. Also- if there are days you want to just talk- hop on and talk and don't worry about it. I just crave structure so I decided to get us back on track.
Have a wonderful day everyone!!

redballoon
04-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Found the thread but it's into bed with me! Good night. Capping Sunday here! Oyasumi nasai! :wave:

HAL123
04-03-2005, 05:51 PM
HI all! had a pretty quiet weekend, still getting used to the new routine. bought a yoga DVD in the weekend.. had a crack at it, I was ok.. only fell over once! lol.. should be cool when I actually get as flexible as the instructor! mind you, somethings I am really bendy at, others I totally suck. still it's a good alternative to the gym seeing as I am so tired at nights and can just do it in my room. anyway gotta get to work but will catch up soon! great to see you back CG!!

P.s Red.. remember it's still but supple on the horse!

redballoon
04-04-2005, 08:09 AM
OK, someone on another thread wrote this up and I'm going to borrow it for you all here because I think it's really good.

derrydaughter wrote:

"Mental Rehearsing".... is practice in your imagination

Since the mind and body form one system, your mind can help prepare your body for the actual situation in which you want to behave or act a certain way. It's practiced by all top performers, be they athletes, actors, musicians, artists, public speakers or salesmen. It can also be practiced by people who want to become top performers at losing and managing their weight. Mentally rehearse for weight-management success by doing the following:

1. Identify a weight-related situation where you want to respond in a more resourceful way:

2. Create a movie of yourself in the situation. Imagine yourself responding the way you want. Watch the movie. What day is it? Where are you? Who are you with? What are you saying? What exactly are you doing and how are you doing it?

3. When you're finished watching the movie, step into it, and rehearse your response in your imagination. See what you will see. Hear what you will hear. Feel what you will feel. Do what you will do.

4. Mentally rehearse every day before the actual situation.

I'm going to give it a try for a few different situations.

Ok, hi NBK, glad to see you! falling over at yoga! :rofl: you crack me up!!

Well, you know you talk about supple on the horse but it's nothing like yoga. I mean, you don't move your body much really. It's about being sensitive and tuned in enough to read the movements and respond to them with your body but when I think supple, I want to be, like you said, bendy!!

heh others! come on in here and get posting! CG, shan, stormy, grass, doin, princess, any others I haven't heard from in so long I've forgotten, come on in!

redballoon
04-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Ok, and Crime Girl, because you have gone through all the trouble to make up a subject for each day, I am going to try to follow it. Obstacles to weight loss (I'm wrapping up Monday here already, as is NBK). I want to say that planning is crucial and I'm not talking about planning complicated meals or doing a whole day in advance. I think I can avoid a lot of overeating and indulgement eating by evening planning the next meal, the next few hours, whatever, kind of in line with that mental rehearsing I showed you in last post. I notice too that when I have a little plan I can anticipate that and learn to WAIT til my next chow time instead of stuffing whatever in my face, kind of like a dog and a person putting down her food bowl and saying "Wait!" and not allowing the dog to eat until you give the cue. Though I think it's bullying for a dog and would never do it, or at least not the excesses I see people do it, the analogy may work for me! :lol:

shanberg
04-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi, all. Sorry to be so late hopping on. I am still sick. Now, it is in my chest. So, I cough and then can't breath! Not in a very friendly mood as a result of not sleeping too well! Plus, I know I won't be able to exercise...again! I am going to do some hand weights, though. I've got to do something. It has been five days since I have exercised and I am really missing it!!

Red - Glad to hear your mini-protests are having some positive affects! Even if they aren't hitting those that need it between the eyes!! Keep it up. Eventually, someone is bound to notice!!!! Maybe????

Glad you are so excited about exercising again! I also miss it when I don't get to do it! I need to get me a pedometer. I walk a lot from my office, to the copier, to the checkup room, computer room, etc. Might be cool to see exactly how many steps i take in an average day! I might just surprise myself!!!

Great "stolen" info, by the way! It makes a difference when you visualize yourself making a complete pig out of yourself! Especially when you paut a snout and pigs tail on yourself! That puts everything in perspecitve!

CG - Glad you are back! You were definately missed! Don't let the job hunting get you down! Sometimes, you just have to keep at them. Have you tried doing call backs? I've read you should do them every week or so. That way, the interviewer knows you are interested and keeps you in the forefront of the mind. You might also want to try some temp agencies. They sometimes are great jumping off points!

Where/why are you moving? I think I missed that somewhere. Are you in a school apartment or something? Or, do you just want a change?

NBK - When you say you only fell over once, were you on a ball or on the floor? I've seen a yoga dvd, and I'd probably fall over every single time! I have very little coordination and balance! It'd be like watching an elephant do it!!! Might be entertaining to watch, though!!!

Well, I am being hounded by a back-up at the other warehouse! He is having so many problems! Poor guy! Anyway, if I can get left alone long enough, I will try to check back in later and post some more!

Have a great day all~!!!!!

redballoon
04-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Good morning. Riding is getting earlier. Have to be out sooner. I hate this getting up so early. I don't think most people could ever, ever do this. It sucks, but . . . it makes for a more productive day.

shanberg -- sorry to hear you're still sick. Hope you get better soon. Exercise is a no-go now but what about your eating. You didn't mention it. Have you been doing ok.
I've been so-so, well, not getting good food in me and have been eating candy again because I'm off the no-sugar thing. Enjoying the easing of restrictions. And I'm going to really start counting the calories again, while trying to eat better. I like the feeling of being "allowed" anything but knowing it's a very poor choice to have a candy bar and use up all those calories, kind of like taking a taxi home when the trains are still running. Still, sometimes your soul wants that taxi and not the depressing train. Other times you get a boost from having saved the money etc.

shan, for the record, I am NOT excited about exercising. :lol: My life is too full of things I don't want to do but have to. I am just resolved to make those steps pass 10,000 each day and the challenge sometimes takes me higher when I have the time. With me it is mostly about not having any time. And taking those steps means giving up other things that I need as well, such as a little down time, talking with friends, a nap or getting to sleep a little earlier, etc. But, I'm just saying, the exercise is a priority and the other stuff, though important, will have to lose out to it.

As for the stolen info, that's to be used the other way around, to see yourself doing something that will move you toward your goal. There's no need to visualize yourself doing something gluttonous. We already know about that! Well, maybe you knew that but were just kidding around. . .I got worried though!

Ok, gotta run. Ciao!

HAL123
04-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Hmmm.. well once again I flagged the exercise last night, too tired! Anyway it was good to catch up on the phone with a friend I have been out of touch properly with for a couple of months now~

Red - Remember to be still... not a statue.. it's so hard, but personally, when I have been marking dressage, I prefer someone who shares the fluidity of the horses movements, to someone who sits there and looks like a barbie doll plonked on a my little pony - correct position, but not relaxed into the horse... It's hard to explain without pictures! he he.. anyway good work! I am so impressed with how you keep on with Heidi and your combined education!

Shanberg - Ball?? I'm sorry you must have me confused with someone who has co-ordination! ha ha ha.... I am so crap.. I fall to the floor.. I have longish legs and arms, which means some poses are easy cos I can cheat, but most of them I am SOOO bad at! ha ha ha.. still it's a challenge and will complement my weights nicely. I like it too as I can do it at home. the yoga type class at the gym is full of skinny bendy people and so I feel fat and crap..at home I can feel fat and crap, but know only I think that!...actually they are starting to invade my weights class.. there was this chick whose hipbones stuck out on her back, more than at the front, yet her spine didn't really stick out... weird. Still she could hardly life the 1 kg weights... so that says something (not sure what tho)...

Anyway food is a bit of a nightmare at the moment,... trying to balance the fatigue and TOM with losing and also missing BF.. and McD's have the CUTEST soft toy puppies for sale at the moment... awww.. I wish I had a pet...

But enough me stuff..today is tuesday it is: What have I been eating?
Well the short answer is crap... but tonight it's back to my extra veggie soup!!! and also for lunch tomorrow..and dinner! lol. gotta love the broke and fat diet! he he

It's quite sad about the Pope, you know I don't think the new one will have quite the command of the worlds respect and hearts that John Paul II had.. times are changing.

Well take care, be kind to yourselves (looks esp hard at red) and have fun! Laughing burns heaps of calories!
Tiff

redballoon
04-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi NBK, glad to see you posting. I love your humor, had me laughing as I read along. Well, glad you got to catch up with your friend. I do that too sometimes, sit out a whole afternoon talking with my brother or something. It does seem like a waste at a first thought but then I think, nah, it's great to be talking to him.
Listening to Blue Oyster Cult, Don't Fear the Reaper, love that song, very old now, do you know it? I think it brings back memories, or rather, just a feeling, of long, long ago, probably before you, NBK, were even born!
Hear you on the not like a statue. I know just what you're saying, don't worry. I was using those expressions for the non-horsey among us. Thanks for your words of encouragement!

"I have longish legs and arms," she says with a flick of her head as her long blond hair whooshes off her shoulders. Oh well, I have shortish legs and arms, short and fat, with thick bones, like a draft horse. Oh well! :shrug: I could laugh at the "skinny, bendy people" though. The nerve of them invading your weights class?! Why don't you get a medicine ball and start playing catch with them, throwing the ball real hard like. Hipbones sticking out her back, hipbones sticking out anywhere, is that like a concept, or what?! I certainly haven't seen mine anywhere recently.

So, NBK, did you lose and miss the BF, or just lose him, or just miss him? or. .. . shut me up, will ya?

Yes, Tuesday, what have I been eating? Crap, candy and garlic bread pieces and chocolate and I'm realizing, that heh! I have been stuffing my face with utter crap. Oh, well, at least I got that pedometer strapped on again and hitting over 10,000, over 16,000 actually. I will get there!

Yes, it is sad with the pope. The more I read about him and see all the photos from his life I realize what an incredible man he was. I don't think they're going to find anyone anything like him. In fact, they probably don't want to. He probably hung around so long because he knew that if he retired they'd get some old fart to replace him.

Jeez, cat just crawled up my leg! OUCH! He can't jump into my lap, anymore, well, I mean he CAN but doesn't want to. Instead, he stands on his hind feet with his front paws on my thigh and pulls himself up! Guess he thinks he's latched onto a tree trunk or something, so I can't blame him. :lol:

Ok, good night, all! Get your butts in here, will you!? :drill:

shanberg
04-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Good morning, gang! Didn't get back in here yesterday. Couldn't get left alone long enough to do anything! Then, right when I was getting ready to leave, an ATL came in and said he had a problem. When setting up the computer to upload data for the next day's delivery sales, he missed a Y in one of the columns...yeah, the product column..hello! Can't sell what isn't there! And, it wasn't like it was in the middle or at the end...NO, it was the very FIRST one! I coulda killed him. I couldn't get it to work, so I had to call my boss, who, of course, had already left. She had to go thru this whole procedure of deleting stuff I had done and he had done. This morning, when I told him what had to be done, he goes, "So, it was your fault for not keying in the stuff right yesterday." No, moron, it was your fault for missing the Y. When I told him it was b/c he missed the Y, he said he hit the Y, it just didn't get put in there. Idiot, he showed me where the Y was missing! I hate it when he does the afternoon work. He always messes up and then tries to blame everyone and everything. It is just him! UGH. I was soooo mad. I coulda killed him. Especially after I told him to go on home and I would stay. No more. From now on, I am out the door at 5 pm no matter what! (Can you tell I am still angry????)

Red - My eating...well, it has been okay. I could definately do better, but my body doesn't know what it wants. Some days I am hungry all day (that feeling of hollowness in your stomach you get when you are sick), so I try to eat until it goes away. I choose as healthy as I can, but I am trying to just listen to what my body is saying, hoping if I can give it the thing it really wants I will get better. So far, that hasn't worked....Other days I don't want anything, so I eat just to keep my energy up. I have been eating more veggies, though. That seems to help. Plus, I feel so much better after I eat something. I hope I get rid of this soon. I think it was allergies to begin with, but now it has become a congestion and cough. I can't win for losing with this. Plus, the weather here in good ole Georgia won't make up her mind! One day its beautiful, warm, and sunny. The next it is raining and cold. The next, windy and cold! Just can't get a constant and that isn't helping, either! Not to mention that three people are on vacation, so I have to be here. No option for calling in and getting some rest! Oh, well, I need the money!

By the way, PUT THE SUGAR DOWN! You've had your time of getting to catch back up with the eating of sugar from your abstinence...but enough! Sugar is good to eat, but it really isn't good for you! It lowers your immune system (white blood cell production and usage) and tends to gather at the worst places (on me, my butt and hips!). So, put it down and step away!!! Think of Heidi having to haul around all that extra sugar you are consuming!

Btw, I LOVE that Reaper song! I wish I could find a cd with just that song on it! I may have to try to pirate it. I hate to do that now, with all the legal stuff going on, but....

Glad you are still walking and at least accepting the exercise thing! Maybe if you pretend to be excited, you might actually come to believe it??? Maybe????

NBK - You are soooo funny! I am tall, six feet even, so I can't even imagine trying to do yoga. I have no balance and no coordination. Just walking is an exercise in control! In my mind, I was seeing you on one of those giant balls rolling left and right, trying to stay balanced and ending up hitting the floor with the ball rolling to the other end of the room! Now, I see you like Red described you!

Ick! That lady with the bones sticking out! How does she sit? It'd drive me crazy feeling that bone stick everything! She must look like a twig or something!

Where did your BF go? What is extra veggie soup? I, too, am on the no money diet and could definately use another recipe to add to the cheap food.

Okay, enough rambling. My reports are finished printing, so i guess I need to get them and get busy finishing up end of month stuff.

Hang in there everyone!

Toots!

Crime girl
04-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi!
Sorry I didn't get on yesterday- I have managed to get the flu. Murphy's law: You always get sick when you can't afford to be sick. :(

I am currently at school - waiting for my afternoon class to start. Thought I would hop and say HI!

Red-A draft horse??? I doubt seriously that you are built that way. You are so funny sometimes! :lol:
Great job with the exercise but now get away from the crap! :D You can do it! Just say No!
Thanks for getting us on subject- I tend to pick the subject for the day and then I don't follow it myself so:
My goals are to :
Eat healthy
Exercise at least 3 times a week
Drink 8 glasses of water a day
Try to keep my stress levels down
As for what I eat: I have been eating crap lately but I am trying to mix in healthy things as well. Since I have been sick - I have eaten a whole lot less.

Shan- Sorry you had to put up with that jerk at work! I hate when people are like that and there is little you can do about it. They just don't see what an a-hole they are. Don't sweat it though- I am betting your bosses know how fab you are! You seem really dedicated and talented at what you do so don't let that guy ruin it for you. :D

NBKYoga huh?? I admire you- there is no way I could do it. I would probably injury myself in the first 10 minutes. I am such a klutz. Anyway- more power to you!
I also am wondering- where is your bf? When does he come back??
Your extra veggie soup sounds yummy- send over a bowl would you?

Okay well ladies- I need to go. Hard to post at school. Everyone is walking by and snooping. I will hop on later tonight for some more chitchat!
Have a wonderful day!

Jazzmine
04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
:wave:

Hi everyone...just a fly by post...I am just popping in to say hello!!

HAL123
04-05-2005, 05:32 PM
HI!
First things first, my wonderful sexy BF is still VERY MUCH on the scene... sorry. All the exciting stuff I've been up to (concerts etc) the last few weeks have been with him. He's offshore at the moment, comes back next week. I miss him heaps. OMG if we broke up, my weight would shoot up to 500lbs and i'd be blubbering. Don't worry you'd know! he he... nah things there are very good. He's doing the yoga thing too. He got a DVD for surfers (pre surf and post surf warm up/down).. so we both kind of egg each other on.

Yoga- lets clear up a misconception here. I am the most uncoordinated person in the World. ****, even my eyes are uncoordinated.. the yoga thing is an attempt to fix this. However, just like my mother sending me to ballet when I was younger so I didn't walk like a farmer (she took me out cos I moved like an elephant.. not cos I was fat (i was a severly underweight child naturally.. but cos I stomped everywhere. I have no natural grace!) I don't really think it will work, but I might get some flexibility out of it.

Soup - umm no recipe sorry. It's funny cos I bought soupbones so there was some meat in it.. and the BF laughed at me for being an old lady as I got all excited about there being soup bones at the supermarket! (unless you go to a butchers the meat sections in NP supermarkets often leave a lot to be desired in terms of choice & price)
But it has: onions, carrots, a leek, a head of celery, garlic, peas, kumara (sweet potato), split peas, barley, lentils, beef bones (well meat now, took the bones out), beef stock, white wine, tinned and fresh tomato and lemon zest. It's pretty much like a veggie stew! he he.. it's got me covered for about 2 weeks worth of dinners! he he It's really filling.. i think cos of all the pulses and grains! gives me a nice full feeling.

Anyway I'll chat more later but gotta get some work done
p.s Shanberg, I totally hear you about the work guy grrr.. maybe you could give him some "special" brownies??

redballoon
04-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Good morning, nothing much happened 'cept sleep since my last post. I'm up now, drinking coffee, reading your posts, Hurrah! you've gotten in here! :cp: So good to see some life. I was going to quit posting if I didn't see some action in here this morning! Just kidding, well, kind of. . .

shanberg -- sounds like you're in a bad situation at work. Working with people like you describe cannot be good for you. You've mentioned other things too, at other times, that make me think you really got to look for other work. Any chance of that?It's like me with the paper. I wish so much that things would go back to the way they were. God, I guess, that's what it's like for people who had a great marriage and then it went bad. You hang on thinking of how it was and also thinking you won't find better. I know I won't find better here in Tokyo because I know the other papers but I am trying to think of ways I can take the elements of what I like about the paper, separate them and find them elsewhere. (Thanks, CG, you had given me advice along those lines once!) Shan, being sick and not getting over it is also a sign that things are weighing on you constantly. I used to work at a publishers and I hated it so much I was constantly asthmatic. Guess I was just feeling so suffocated. This hollow feeling in your stomach sounds like it could be acid indigestion, probably nothing eating is going to help. But I am glad you are trying to eat more veggies. And thanks so much :thanks: for telling me to cut the crap! Really, that's why I wrote it, because I was hoping someone would yell at me. I really need that sometime, need a swift kick in the pants. Funny, that's what my dad used to say when I was a kid. I think he was right. I got a lot of kicks. . . ;) Oh, and heh, the BOC song, go to limewire.com. If your computer will support it you can do a search for practically any song around and get it for free. It's not pirating because it's file-sharing, so if you feel at all bad about it, don't! Oh, in your message to NBK, you said you were six feet even. Being early here and I'm still sleep-dazed, I'm reading "six feet ELEVEN" and thinking, wow! she is huge!! :lol: I'm just over 5 feet. Oh, and yes, I must think of Heidi. This is a mere numbers issue too, the weight being too high and uncomfortable for her. I can deal with that better, like a boxer or a jockey, mere weight, not appearance, not all those subjective things. Thanks.

Crime girl -- Good to see you! Sorry to hear you're sick. Damn, Guess all the worrying and such is getting you down and your immune system is probably shot to ****. Yes, the subject of the day, I'll have to check back and post tonight about today's. It was NBK who cued me in to write. I always forget them too. Yeah, well, I hear you on the poor eating. But, you gotta focus on what you CAN do. don't get bummed about what you've been doing. And CG, there are great yoga tapes for the hopelessly uncoordinated, very overweight or inflexible people and such. You should try one out. Yoga is a great way to get in touch with your body and you don't need any coordination really for most of it.

Jazzmine -- hi there! Glad to hear from you, even if it's just a flyby. It's important to the thread that you're here. Hope you're hanging in there and doing well with your goals. Take care and pop in again for a longer chat! :wave:

NBK -- Hi there. Sorry if I started something with the boyfriend being missing. I KNEW what you were saying, just was kidding around! I'm very glad he is still very much in the picture and that you two are having such a good time together. I wish I had someone to miss, knowing he would be back soon. I need to do some cooking and freeze the stuff. That makes for the best meals, because normally I have no time to prepare anything so I just eat junk or things that are more like snacking and so I never feel satisfied. Well, come back later and tell us more! :sunny:

HAL123
04-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Hmm frozen meals.. they're good but the microwave in our flat is budget as. It has no turn table and so you get hot scalding bits of food surrounded by freezing cold ones, and then other times it doesn't really heat anything. I refuse to buy a new one as I own nearly everything and from how my flatties treat everything else in the place I know it would get trashed! so... for now I thaw and heat in the oven.. it takes ALOT of patience and planning... but still one day I will live by myself and be able to have all my things as I like them and not worry about others messes! he he (yes I am a bit anal retentive at times).

Hey red.. I know I love miso soup, so figure you would too - why not grab it with tofu as a low cal, high protein good for you snack? it makes me feel full and its good for you!! Another good "japanese" food we get here is chicken teriyaki sushi.. pretty filling. I know it's not real sushi but still.. i dunno... I know how easy it is to get bad but oh so tasty junk food on your way home, especially if you are tired!

redballoon
04-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Hi NBK, yeah, flatties, it's like the coworkers who use everything but NEVER clean anything. Miso soup might be good. I tend to only think of it in the prepackaged form, which I don't like because it's so salty and fishy tasting. But, I should just be using plain miso and putting a spoonful in hot water along with whatever little veggies I can find. I used to put it in veggie stews and it gave it real nice body. I hate the fish-based broths they use here and since I try to be totally vegetarian, don't want to be eating them anyhow. Konbu-based broths are much better but everything tends to be bonito-based if it's premade. Do you know konbu? I think it's kelp in English. Konbu, wakame, nori, hijiki, I don't really know them in English as I wasn't much into seaweeds before I came to Japan.

HAL123
04-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Nori and Konbu I know... bonito! ha ha ha ha for a minute I thought you typed bonita and I was like "what crazy japanese people base things on bananas????" then I realise.
Being a veggie must be hard. I'd go nuts without meat (well actually my blood would get so stuffed I really would go crazy)..in my diet, I love the taste of it.. but still each to their own.

Can you get vegetable based sushi? hmm avocado, carrot and cucumber is pretty good.. with a bit of egg in it too.. but yeah good miso is hard to find. Campbell's do a nice one with shiitake mushrooms in it...

redballoon
04-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Bonito, yeah, I was switching between Japanese and English. Bonito is katsuo in Japanese. Good miso here is all over, but just plain. It's great just like that though. I actually prefer it to all these prepackaged mixes. It's just that other stuff is added, like the leeks (?) and tofu and stuff and it's all dehydrated so very portable. Sushi I'm not much into. The plain white rice is just so nutritionally devoid. You aren't getting much nutrition for the price. I don't really know what all the fuss is about sushi overseas. I've never thought much of it. I guess if you're really into fresh raw fish, fine, but being veggie, no. Actually, though the kanpyo (some sort of gourd) and cuke sushi is nice though, specially in the summer. It is worth it sometimes and I guess the nori on the vegetable kinds (the wrapped tubes) does make it nutritionally pretty good. Ok, freaking out here with proofreading. I am going to scream if I have to worry about where another comma goes! SCREAM!!!

HAL123
04-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Maybe here, cos they can get away with *******ising it, you can actually get sushi made with brown rice! he he... I think you are right about leeks being in the pre-packaged mixes. hmmm so much food talk, anyone would think this is a diet group! lol..

I've been out for a walk around our wellsites today.. that's a plus about the new position is the fact I can get out of the office and do something interesting without feeling like I am slacking off. In fact my new boss even told me to go and hang out with the operators anytime i want to help me learn more about the plant! :-).. as long as I don't pick up too much bad language! lol.

Red, I hear you on the proofreading, I'm not so concerned about it in my posts, but damn I hate it when you are reading a report and the grammar and punctuation is all over the place! grrr. It's so distracting! Good luck!

shanberg
04-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Morning!

Well, finally, people are back to chatting again!! Red and NBK are really tearing up the keys!!!

I am still stuffy. I have finally decided it is the pollen. Evidently, the cold front we had a couple of weeks ago has done something to make the pollen count rise earlier than usual. It is up to 200,000 plus on the count. (Not sure how or where the news gets those numbers, but it sounds awful anyway!). If I could just breath easier I know I would feel so much better! I tried to do some weight lifting last night, just so I was doing some kind of exercise...after 5 mins I was wheezing like I had asthma! I know this weekend I am doing NOTHING but resting and trying to get better!

Thanks for all the support and worry over the co-worker issue. My job is really great. I get paid decent and don't really have to do a lot. My boss is great. It is just the other people that are so irritating! The only way I would get a new job would be if I got one in my field, but I would have to go to Atlanta for that, and there's no way I am driving to Atlanta every day! The traffic is unreal. I would have to get up and leave two hours just to get to work on time. I don't even want to move down there b/c the traffic and crime is so bad. That is sad, b/c it is a beautiful city. It has just grown so fast that the gov can't keep up!

Red - Glad you liked my yelling at you! I thought you could use a little shove! I am like that, too. Sometimes you just need someone else to tell you what to do for a change! It makes stopping a lot easier!!!

I read the posts between you and NBK and it was like reading a foreign restaurant review! I have no idea what half of the things you were talking about were! I recognized some words and names, but have no idea what one would do to cook them...or to even find them! It made me think of that movie, The Grudge...the movie sucked big time, but there was this scene where an American lady was shopping and she couldn't read the labels, so she started opening containers to see what was inside...that would be me!! By the way, bonito/bonita means pretty/beautiful in Spainsh!!

NBK - Glad you cleared up the BF question. One more, though, when you say he is offshore, do you mean he works with the drilling/oil company that drills in the ocean?

Loved your story about ballet! I also have little to no cooridnation and would be like a bull in a china shop!!! And the stomping!! Funny!!!

How many flatties do you have? I am so picky, I think I'd go crazy if I had a roommate! I don't like people touching my stuff at all.

Hear you on the bad language. I work with around 200 guys, and they have quite the colorful language. Not to mention their love of sharing their bodily functions with each other. The check-up room has a lot of cubbies, so sometimes you can't always see who is coming around the corner. I have walked into quite a few colorful stories and horrible smells you can imagine!! Ahhhh..the joys of working with men!!!

Jazzmine - Glad you stopped by for a quickie!!

CG - Hope you get better soon.

Well, I need to go. Hope everyone has a great day.
Toots

redballoon
04-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Heh shan, no time to post now as it's after 5:30 and I've got to go! I had to laugh about what you said about NBK and me talking about all the food. I know a lot of foreigners (non-Japanese) over here can't read the labels on food. Sometimes there's a picture or a bit of English but usually not. I know many of them would probably like to open the packages too! :lol:

A man with a bonito:

HAL123
04-06-2005, 06:04 PM
The best one is when the picture doesn't even resemble the same group (animal, mineral or vegetable) as what is in there! ha ha ha.. I love shopping at the asian wharehouses..

Gotta love NZ's multicultural population! he he...

Went to Pump last night. It was really cool, all the regulars were like 'where have you been?' and 'it's nice to see you again'.. it just sucked as after last times wee blow out I dropped my weights again.. thing is at the lighter level, I don't feel it at the time, just the next day. However soon I figure I will be up to normal weights and feeling it in class and not the next day... hmm i feel so fat still this week..

One thing I have changed this week: I have gone back to the gym :-)

Shanberg -give Japanese a try sometime! I can particularly recommend going to a Teppanyaki grill restaurant. You'll get to try miso soup and also have the tastiest, healthiest and most entertaining bbq meat... hmmm it's soo good. A great way to introduce yourself to japanese food.

The BF works for the same company as me. We produce gas and oil/condensate from wells that are both onshore and offshore in NZ. He works on an offshore platform that is producing oil & gas. I work on an onshore asset producing gas&condensate. We also make LPG at the plant I work on. I wish I was a driller! they get paid **** LOADS.. but then it is a pretty dangerous job too. He operates the plant and is also the mechaninc out there.. he's good with his hands! :$ he he.... he's trained as a fitter and turner tho...16 yrs exp doing that (this is when I actaully realise we do have an age difference! lol)... anyway that's probably more than you'll ever want to know about my job!

I have 2.5 flatties (and then bf/gfs). Two girls there full time and one guy who also works offshore, different rotation and platform to the BF so he's only there 2/4 weeks. I have lived with guys before and I can actually say, girls are much worse!

As for the colourful stories.. at the moment I am loving it all secretly as before the office environment I was in was pretty dry and sterile (morning tea on fridays no longer exists now I have left and am not reminding people). But my favourite work experiences have been in engineering workshops and all male environments.. it's just more fun when you get **** and can give it back without worrying if someone will carry a 10 yr grudge if you get a bit harsh! lol... and it's always good for my study of anatomy and biology! ha ha ha

Shan - what industry are you in? That's really sad about atlanta, I kind of remember the same things being said about it around the time of the olympics there. Where do you live presently? how big is it??

Cheers
Tiff

shanberg
04-07-2005, 10:06 AM
NBK - Thanks for the info on the BF. I thougt that was what he did, but wasn't sure. Sounds fun and dangerous!

Man, how do you survive with all those flatmates??? I would go insane!!When do you find time for just yourself? Is it ever quite? I have to have at least one hour of my time (to do my exercise and stuff). Plus, I don't share the tv very well. I am definately a remote control commando! I like to be in charge and watch what I want when I want. And I don't like a lot of conversation going on while my shows are on. It is actually an obssession of mine. Hmmm, maybe I should get some couseling on that....nah! It is more fun this way!

I hear ya on the stories and working with the guys. I have the most fun when I can go out into the checkup room and cut up with them. I have finally gotten them to stop appologizing for using a cuss word! I started cussing with them and they got the hint. It is great! And you are right, it is better with men b/c they don't hold a grudge forever! And, they aren't as sensitive. One of the admin ladies cries almost everytime I talk to her! It isn't that I am mean or anything, I just am honest and tell her when she does things that bother me. She is just overly sensitive. I hate to talk to her. She has the most annoying laugh...it makes me want to bang my head on wall!!

I work for a Budweiser distributorship in Gainesville, GA. We sell/deliver all the A-B products. Unfortunately, there is a good-ole-boy mentality, so all the drivers, salesmen, merchandisers, helpers, team leaders, etc are men. The only women are in the administration dept. It isn't bad, b/c I can hang with either, but I just don't like the idea that a woman can't deliver the beer!

I live in Alto, Ga. A very, very, very small town in NorthEast Georgia. If you drive too fast and blink, you will miss the entire thing! It is great, though. Very pretty and close nit. I acutally thought about going to Atlanta. Then, I went to visit a friend from college who lived right below there. I had to drive I-85. Well, I thought I'd be smart and leave really early. I left at 5 am. At 6am I had just hit the part of the road that curves around the city (basically where all the off-ramps are). Man, you would not believe what happened. One minute I was all alone on the four lane and then BAMB! I was surrounded on all sides! They came from all directions. Lights and cars everywhere. It was like a bunch of ants streaming out of an anthill! It was sooo unreal! I had to be careful b/c it was dark and I was having to hunt my exit. And everyone else knew exactly where they were going, so needless to say I got honked at a lot (and probably cussed, too) before I got back to my neck of the woods. It might not be so bad if I lived in the city, but I am such a country girl I don't think I would like that. I like to see green and trees and watch kids play in the yards and hear the sounds of the birds and the insects. In the city, all you hear is cars and chatter. My job is really great, so I am okay. I get paid well and don't do much at all. I only have to put up with a few stupid people, but it just gives me someone to make fun of!!

Have I talked your eyes crossed! And you thought you gave me too much info on your job!!!

Hope you have a great day!

redballoon
04-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Just bumping the thread off page two. No time to post now. Later!

subpremeprincess
04-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone! You all seem to be doing pretty well. Sorry I haven't checked in lately, the weather has been beautiful here. The trees are budding, the crokuses are blooming and the birds chirp early in the morning. I love spring! I have also been working out like a maniac for an hour a day. I walk two miles with Leslie and then I do her Walk and Kick workout for a half hour. I finally broke down and went to the mall yesterday at the request of friends who were tired of me and my droopy pants. The good news is that I finally made it to a size 12 :dancer: I thought maybe that is was a fluke so I tried on 7 pairs of pants :lol: I ended up buying two pairs and a pretty summer skirt. All of you guys have been a big inspiration in helping me stay focused and I would like to give you a big thanks :grouphug: You have all helped me maintain a positive attitude throughout my continuing battle of the bulge ;) I am even more focused and determined to keep up my exercise especially when I feel like my eating is out of control. My next goal to conquer is being a size 10 by my birthday (July 21st) -- I'll be 34. I plan to be in fabulous shape by the time I turn 35 :D

To everyone that's sick I hope that you get well soon. Whenever I get sick I take at least 1000 mg of vitamin C daily. I find that I recover quicker.

HAL123
04-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Congratulations! wicked! well done!! you're an inspiration to me!
yay! (p.s what are you going to do with the droopy pants?)

redballoon
04-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Sub, you go girl!! :cheer: Hi, NBK! :wave: I'm so out of it, no time, no time, says the March Hare or his cousin or something. I'm thinking of you all. Please don't give up the ghost. I feel, with the begin of the waxing moon, a stirring of returning strength! HOO-HAW! Back to work . . . .

HAL123
04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
he he back to work for me too... nothing exciting to report, more flatmate issues, but aside from that nothing exciting happening..oh well.. perhaps I can dream up some adventure for myself.!

redballoon
04-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi people, where are you all these days? I've been in the pits, really in the pits this time. Haven't had time or the inclination to post. But, I do worry and wonder about the rest of you. Shanberg, where are you? NBK, any adventures to tell us about? when does your boyfriend get back this time? Crime girl, it does seem that we have lost you, no?

Well, I got back on track yesterday and I think my enthusiasm knocked me flat. My foot was hurting so bad for some reason last night that I couldn't sleep for the pain! I even ate well, cooked up some veggies Italian-style (ah, the sweet smell of olive oil) and had them over whole-wheat spaghetti. Oh, yum! I just cooked some brown rice and will have that for lunch, then it's off to the publishing house and perhaps the gym.
I started a jogging program from this site called coolrunning.com I started the "couch potato to 5K program and did my first little jog/walk yesterday. I thought it'd be a cinch but I was happy for all the walking. My spirits are so low, I'll take all the downtime I can get! Well, hope to hear from someone. Bye for now! :wave:

HAL123
04-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Hey Red, I'm still here. BF returns today! Yay yay yay yay!!! he's making me go to the gym tonight tho :( I can think of much better uses of our first night back together, but I know his heart is in the right place.

Work has been pretty nuts, just slogging along, and trying not to overeat, but at the moment it's pretty difficult. I don't think my body is that impressed with the sudden decrease in sleep I'm getting. But my stress levels are down so that's a bonus. I've just got to work on a plan to avoid falling into the take-away trap. Especially at the moment as I am just really not too comfortable around my flatties, and don't want to cook in the kitchen and risk having them talk to me (I know it's ridiculous, but I have a feeling I will vent at one of them soon and that isn't such a good move!).

I watched Harold and Kumar go to white castle in the weekend, it was pretty funny. It reminded me of one night in my misspent youth when we couldn't find anything to stop our munchies, even petrol station pies! they were all sold out. In the end I think we settled for a tin of cold baked beans! lol...

Good luck with the running programme, I really need to get back into the cardio... maybe if you post incessantly about how much you love running it will inspire me? he he
well gotta get back into the fray
Check ya later!!
Tiff

redballoon
04-13-2005, 02:39 AM
Hi NBK, good to hear from you. You must be so psyched to have the boyfriend coming back. The gym?!?! Oh, well, at least it's physical! ;)
Hmm. What's the scoop with the flatties? They been giving you a hard time?
Well, I'm in the office. Can't type. Just wanted to say hi and glad to hear you're in for some fun. :yes:
Later! :wave:

shanberg
04-13-2005, 09:40 AM
HI, Red. I am here. I just don't have any time to talk. My boss is on vacation, so everyone comes to me for what they would normally go to her for. I am major swamped and just haven't had time to write anything. Will try to catch up sometime, but it will probably be next week before I can write more than a line or two.

redballoon
04-13-2005, 05:18 PM
OK, shan, thanks for checking in. I was worried we'd lost you. Hope you get out from under all the work soon, well, when your boss is back. Be proud that you're the one everyone comes to. Keep eating well and try to get some exercise in though if you can! Good luck! :flow1:

Michiemish
04-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Hello eveyone... I know its been awhile since i have posted...Life has just been a rollercoster lately... the past couple of months have been crazy between my mom being sick and trying to break it off with an ex boyfriend..I stopped going to ww because of everything about 6 weeks ago.. I felt bad but my mom was getting sicker and sicker...Then when i was planning to go to another meeting my mom landed in the hospital..and was there for 2 weeks..12 of those days in icu.. then she past away..and just having to take care of the funeral arangements and taking care of my dad, and the house, and the animals..is just over whelming..But i finally went back today, because i made a promise to myself for my mother before she was diagnosed in december that i would lose weight..Now i feel bad because i have not kept that promise and promises are everything to me... But back to today.. after the meeting i was driving back to my parents home and i started crying..my mom death haven't hit me really because i have so much to do ... But when i first joined ww everytime after a meeting i would go to my parents house and talk to my mom and she would also ask me how things went and encourage me and congrats me when i lost weight... But when i was driving there today i started crying because it hit me she wasn't going to be there to do that for me.. I wouldn''t have her to talk to anymore about ww...So pretty much all day i have been down.. Then just realized i need to keep my promise, and even though it is going to be hard to go to the meetings again, but i figure it will get easier and easier as time goes and as i keep my promise... Anyways sorry to bring anyone down.. But i just had to get that off my chest.. I hope everyone is doing well... and hopefully i can catch with everyone progress...

Talk to you gals later

Michelle

HAL123
04-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Oh Michelle, My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Good on you for going back to WW. I think the experience like you just mentioned, when you realise the person is NOT there to talk to again, is usually when their death hits you the hardest, not just at the time of death when most of the response is shock. Don't be ashamed of crying or asking for help/support. You can do this. You have us here to support you and talk to about your progress.. but not just with the weight, with everything. And don't forget, just like laughing, crying is a big energy burner!
Take care, you're in my thoughts
Love
Tiff

redballoon
04-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Michi, it's good to see you back. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. If you come in here and talk to us, we will post, or I will, so please do this for you AND your mother. I'm sorry I can't write now but I just wanted to welcome you back and wish you the best. You can do this! Let's work together!

NBK, heh there. I bet you're enjoying yourself, eh? ;)

redballoon
04-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Hello?!?! Bumping the thread up here again. Isn't anyone interested in keeping this going again?

HAL123
04-17-2005, 06:18 PM
sorry.. just flat out at work (only place i have access) and am feeling a little apathetic at present.

redballoon
04-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi NBK, you're probably the only one awake around here now. I'm just up, had a bit of a sleep-in (for me, that is). Why are you feeling apathetic? In general, or toward the thread? It's not like there are many people posting. I guess these things happen, people lose motivation, momentum. It's strange, some threads are just full of people who chatter all day long, mostly housewives though. Well, do you think we should forget about this thread and maybe start a new one, or just hang around here and hope things pick up. I post on other threads too but really liked the bunch we had here. . . things OK with the boyfriend?

redballoon
04-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Bumping this up again!! :shrug:
Shan, CG, NBK, michi, jazz, grass, stormy, anyone I forgot!! Come back!! Shane!!!!

redballoon
04-18-2005, 09:02 AM
This is for my mini goal:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-retro4/cartoonapple01/kg/75/70/75/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

subpremeprincess
04-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Hi everyone. I am just checking in. The phone company (BOO SBC) shut off my dsl for $1.68 and took two days to turn my service back on. Now it keeps shutting on and off randomly. Mich, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. If you can try to get in a fifteen minute walk-- it will boost your spirits.We are all here to support you :) Sorry I have to go now, my Internet connection keeps turning off and on and it's really starting to piss me off...this is the third day. I am about to call tech support, I've done all that I can do on this end

redballoon
04-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Hi princess, hope you get that computer hookup working soon! I know how aggravating that can be!! :yes:

redballoon
04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Talking to myself again here it looks like. :cry:

redballoon
04-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Action is crazy on the other threads!! :eek: We have already been relegated to the second page. No!!! :no: Heh, guys, take a look at my weight tracker. Moving right along. . . .

HAL123
04-20-2005, 04:12 PM
oooh i'm here... just busy with work.. having my computer audited today so am going to spend the morning getting rid of all my hard earned down loads! aaaaagh.. maybe i'll just stash them somewhere really obscure and hope they don't find them! he he my weight is back to about 73-74 now grrr but it's hard when I have only 2hrs from getting home before I need to be in bed! and exercising before i get up is out of the question.. life doesnot exist before 0500! he he WELL DONE RED!

redballoon
04-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi NBK, well, it's before 5 and I'm here! Ha! Your theory is smashed. I exist!! I will not go into my weight gain. I just decided to face it and that's why I now know what I weigh. I don't think I've seen this number in years. But I'm not letting it get me down. I am trying to force exercise into my life again. Put the pedometer on most days now. I can see how I wasn't getting any walking in. Now I go for 10,000 every day but even some days, that is hard unless I actually make an effort. Yesterday, for one, I HAD to finish some work, and I only got out of my room late afternoon. So, was just under 10,000. Still, that took an effort (just being aware of it) to take the steps, get off the train early etc. and get some walking in. I could have easily, without thinking, just have taken the train to closer to my destination. I guess it's things like this we gotta watch out for. Well, NBK, it may just be you and me here. Strange, isn't it, the way people just up and leave without saying anything. . . :cry:

HAL123
04-20-2005, 06:30 PM
yep.. maybe we scared them away.. but I suppose it could be that they don't want to admit that they have left??? you know "IF I don't say goodbye and then reappear, no one may notice I was gone for a bit" type reasoning

redballoon
04-21-2005, 01:57 AM
heh NBK, I'm back now. Yeah, I don't know. Kind of ridiculous, this total desertion bit. I mean I'm busy, you're busy, but we manage to get our butts on here. Weight loss and maintenance is something that just has to be, right? not just when you feel like it. I mean, even if I didnt exercise I have to stop overeating. I should never see a gain like I have, if I would just stop overeating. Well, maybe we did scare people away. You with all your weight training talk! ;) Me with all my boozing talk! Ah heck, people have their down times. They're in a slump, I don't know!! I guess, that's why we're here. But, I tell you, I'm getting this fat off this time. I have put myself off beer until I get to 70 kg and if that's not incentive I don't know what is!! I want to go out and party!! I mean, we're almost the same but you've got 8 inches on me!!!

redballoon
04-21-2005, 01:58 AM
NBK, by the way, where's Taradise?

redballoon
04-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Hey people? Have you all deserted us? I'm still here but don't want to be talking to myself. Anyone up for a message on your Friday there? It's already Saturday morning here.
I have been good with the food! Even crunched a bag of those mini carrots yesterday, with radishes too. Had a bowl of fresh strawberries and pineapple with unsweetened yogurt over it. Yum.
Hope to hear from you all.

HAL123
04-26-2005, 04:52 PM
ok... hi red, sorry i've been gone, had a long weekend (anzac day) and then was sick yesterday. still feeling pretty shabby today but no worries. Hope you are alright and that no one you know (except maybe that "top bloke" from your work) was hurt in the train crash. Anyway taradise is a nickname for the region I live in, taranaki... a play on it being paradise...
I was going to say, seeing as this thread is pretty much now defunct, if you wanted to email me, send me a PM and I'll give you my email addy!
Cheerio
Tiff

subpremeprincess
05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Hello everyone. I am checking in...I have really missed reading your threads. I've been deep into one of my misanthropic moods. Yet strangely enough, I have been exercising regularly. I am now going to take time and catch up on what everyone has written lately. Trying to have a better day...

Sub

subpremeprincess
05-16-2005, 10:44 PM
It seems we have all been in a slump lately. I humbly apologize to you all. You have all been a great source of support to me, and I believe that you are all beautiful people. I have been under a great deal of stress lately due to my job. I am really hoping that I get laid off for six weeks so that I can get a break. I am so sure that my daily walks with Leslie have kept me from going postal :) I have a supervisor that makes me absolutely miserable when I am at work. I am pretty sure in a previous life she was the Marquis de Sade. She says the rudest nastiest things to you when no one is around, but if HER bosses are around she is like Mother Teresa. Luckily, a co-worker who is also a good friend overheard this woman speaking to me and she couldn't believe what she was hearing. Finally, some vindication...I feel soooo much better. And for the last three weeks, this woman has been kissing my ***. And since I was so mad everyday after work, I was faithful to Leslie and in the mean time I lost 4 inches off my waist. I guess that we can channel our negative feelings and emotions into something positive. Sorry about the rant...

Sub

redballoon
05-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Hi princess. I was very surprised to see someone post here. I figured the thread was dead for good. Wonder if your post will bring any others back. It'd be nice but.....
Well, see, the stress was good for something. Congrats on the waist loss. 4 inches! Great going! Well, I can't talk now. Just wanted to say Hi! Keep writing if you want. I may kick in at times, maybe some others will. It was bizarre the way everyone just stopped writing. Oh well, we all go through slumps and I guess we went through a mass one here.

Take care!
:wave:

subpremeprincess
05-18-2005, 09:33 PM
So Red, how are things going without sugar and beer? There's supposed to be a new low carb beer on the market that's supposed to taste like regular beer, it has something like 63 calories per serving. It's probably difficult to not drink in Japan. I hate to feel deprived. I know that I don't do well on a diet so I've just settled for the fact that I will exercise longer when I go crazy with my eating. My weakness happens to be things likes home made pound cakes, chocolate eclairs...i could go on and on. I think you are more disciplined than I am and you will be successful. For a while, I put a picture of me at my highest weight on the refrigerator to avoid temptation and eating out of sheer boredom or frustration. When I first came across the picture, I couldn't believe that that was me! I looked like I'd been inflated with helium. My uncle had given me the pictures to mail to my brother. I was so embarassed that I never mailed them off even though I told my uncle that I did. I will once again say, I used to be a really lazy person, but I'm doing a little better. If I can do it, you can do it. Have a great day :)

Sub

redballoon
05-19-2005, 05:38 AM
Hi sub (since that's how you signed your post), glad to see you're at least posting, though we have't awakened any others yet. I'm happy to have someone back. Thanks! Glad to hear you're feeling less lazy. Yes, getting better, we never get it all right at once. I've exercised a lot more than I do now. I've weighed less than I do now, but I was also smoking, or drinking, or eating junk a lot more too. Or I was in a stupid relationship. So, I think I'm still painting a better picture now, though I still don't have the picture I want, just yet.

Well, the sugar and beer had a few slipups but I'm pretty good. I was doing real good there for a while, too good and had a mini rebound but still, I was VERY busy so I think I did pretty good considering.

There is some low-carb beer here I think, haven't looked into it. I don't know. I learned beer drinking in Munich and I just can't stand gross tasting beer, which most of these things are to me! I'd rather not drink a drop then go hog wild! That's me, hog wild. (I was born in the year of the wild boar) :lol:

Oh, yum, I hear you on the homemade goodies. Luckily (thought sadly) I don't get any of that here, thank God. Today, instead I stopped over at a friend's house and out came homemade things such as rice with beans and sesame seeds, a kind of radish leaves side dish and pickled plums in green tea. It was great. The rice is for celebrations and we were celebrating a new baby, not even two weeks. I got to hold her. So adorable. So, I'm lucky that the Japanese are not big on baking goodies. I used to do that a lot as a kid. Oh, my mouth is watering.......stop me!

I understand how you feel about the photos. I find looking at a picture that shows me fat is just too depressing. It's good to remind me but I'm afraid I just get way too depressed and think, oh, what the ****, I'll never get there and then pig out to prove it.....I wish I had some pictures where I was thin. I think I do have a semi thin picture. Will have to dig that out. That, to me, is more inspiring I think. Do you have any thin photos?

Well, I don't know if my discipline is all that great. I try but I tend to be all or nothing and the all times have the upper hand.....

Good luck. Let's stick together here and make some progress. You can do it, Sub!!! You're already down 40 lbs from your high! Just keep going........ :yes:

subpremeprincess
05-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey Red, it is nice to know that you are still hanging in there. We can do this together. You should be really proud of yourself. Even though you fell off the wagon, you just didn't let it leave you...you got back on. This is key to making lifestyle changes and not just superficial changes. One of the things that I do is spend less time on the computer. I think I read somewhere that there's a correlation between the time one spends sitting on their rump versus anything else :lol: I am an Internet junkie, and withdrawl has painful to say the least :tantrum: Went grocery shopping after work. I think it appeared to other people that I was speed shopping or something, but I was really zooming past the isles of pastries (which of course are on the main strip) and processed foods :cb: I had a nice dinner -- turkey spaghetti primavera to which I added fresh mushrooms and sliced carrots. I am going to workout with Leslie in about a half hour and get 3 miles in before I hit the hay.When I reach my goal, I am going to send Leslie a testimonial as to how much she has changed my life. I 'm no longer the crazed insomniac that I used to be...I sleep like a baby at the end of the day. You should be well into your weekend by now. I hope you get to go out and ride this weekend. I will search for a thin photograph of me too. I could have a before and before picture :lol: I don't blame you on the light beer. One of my closest friends is from Germany and I have been spoiled. Take care and hope to hear from you soon. Hopefully someone else will check in. The collective unconscious is in a slump...

Sub

redballoon
05-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Sub, just bumping the thread up here. Had a late night last night. No time this morning. Just wanted to say Hi and I'll be writing. Keep writing! I hear you on the lifestyle changes. Problem was my exercise routine used to change all the time. I'd be exercising a lot, and then nothing. I'm learning that I'm just going to have to stop eating so much. Better to be too thin than too fat, as far as I'm concerned and I'm no where near that!! the too thin part that is. :lol:

I'll check in again. You take care, ok?!! :sunny:

subpremeprincess
05-20-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm glad you checked in. I used to do the same thing as far as exercise. I would go to the gym faithfully, lose weight, and stop going to the gym. Its no wonder I gained the weight back. Now, I don't let more than two consecutive days go by without exercising. I will at least workout a half hour with Leslie today if nothing else. I hope that you are having a great weekend. I will check in tomorrow.

Sub

redballoon
05-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Heh Sub, Feeling kind of stupid having our own private thread here for everyone to see. But, what the ****. . .
I'm so utterly pissed off with my lack of get-up-and-go. It's so all-or-nothing with me. I was doing real good there and hen I just crashed. Work, my life, I just hate it and it colors everything I want to do a gray, putrid mud. But, actually, having you here to bounce things off is good. I'm not much for the rah-rah, you can do it, big cheers for every little show of resolve. For every one of them there's the opposite that is getting ignored. I mean, we're not children and it is so totally the big picture, getting ALL the things in balance, all the time, with perhaps a very occasional slipup, but not every day -- it's just NOT okay.

I'm pissed off because I had to cancel riding so I could go to the racetrack, but going to the track isn't even a money-making prospect at the moment, because the paper doesn't want the coverage. Damn. But I feel I have to keep my hand in things. Problem is there is free beer waiting and I don't want to drink. Just piles on the calories, wasted time. Hope I can just say NO!

I am going to keep trying to get it better. Yes, the little things are important, crucial actually, but I've got to get more of them, more and more. There is NO effect visible if I don't. I feel like a seed still stuck under the ground, waiting to sprout. And it's in my power to do that, not someone else's. I feel like I'm wasting my life away, so totally.

Oh, well, sorry for the rant. Who is this Leslie person by the way? I assume some exercise video, which one? Heh, I like your quote at the bottom of your sig, "...losers let it happen." Yeah, big loser at the moment, me.

redballoon
05-22-2005, 07:16 PM
I am doing better today, I think. I realized how much more able I am to eat and exercise a bit more when I am feeling more hopeful about other areas of my life. I don't think it's possible to do all that much when things elsewhere are looking bad, or I'm frustrated or worried, or fearful (a little) about something else in my life. And I think it would be weird if I COULD work out like an exercise fiend or eat perfect. But, I can and will try to limit the damage, or at least go into protective mode. And by protective mode I mean protecting what I have done till now, not rebounding, not backsliding. OK, Sub, you with me still? :wave:

redballoon
05-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Sub, where are you? I'm bumping the thread up. Struggling here. No time to exercise. No motivation whatsoever. Trying just not to make things worse by eating waaaaaaaaaay too much.
But, I MUST exercise.I feel awful.

subpremeprincess
05-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Don't sweat the rant, Red. I fell off the wagon for a while myself. I let 6 months go by without checking my diet or exercise. I just came to the point where I decided that I am going to do this for ME. None of us are perfect...as much as it seems that Oprah is living the perfect life, it took her a long time to get her weight under control. You would think that it would have been easier because she could pay personal trainers, chefs, and buy her own home gym...but i guess something in her changed and she has been able to do it. Red, we too can do it. It seems that the odds are stacked against me. I live in the fattest city in the country. When I don't feel like cooking my choices are fast food places. There is no mass transit system because everyone should drive and everything is spread out. There really is no reason to walk here. People celebrate everything here with food. I, too, am dissatisfied with my job and I got really off track with my diet and exercise for a while. You can find small ways to squeeze in exercise so that it really doesn't feel like exercise. What are some things that YOU enjoy. Each day make YOU a priority. If this calls for being a ***** (Being in Total Control of Herself) then so be it. One of the hardest things that I've learned to do is say no and not feel guilty. Other people don't feel bad when they're sucking up your time and few people rarely appreciate it when you go out of your way. Some days, I do not answer my phone -- other people fiind this very annoying, but I don't care. I simply tell others just because my phone rings, doesn't mean I'm obligated to answer. Red, take it one step at a time and one day at a time. I am sure, if I ate properly, that I would be at my goal weight by now. In the mean time, I just make sure I work out with Leslie. Leslie Sansone, is the laziest person's best friend. She made a series of tapes called Walk Away the Pounds. The tapes range from 1 to 4 miles. Each mile is 15 minutes. You don't have to be Paula Abdul to follow the steps. If you really get into the workout, you will get your heart rate up and really burn fat. I promise you that if you did the two mile tape at least 4 times a week for two weeks, you will see a big change. I use the Walk Away the Pounds for Abs series. I either do the two or the three mile walk. I just ordered her four mile tape. I also use her Walk and Kick tape too. I can't believe how much my body has changed in the last four months. In January, my waist was at 38". I am now down to 32". Red, I am not lying to you. On the weekends, if I do nothing else, I do Leslie and go back to watching my sci-fi movies on Saturdays. I have more energy and I am no longer an insomniac. The key is having a support system. When I slack off, my cousin gets on my case and vice versa. I am working on my diet. I just ordered this book on the Mediterrasian diet. It has a large section devoted to vegans. I will let you know if it is worth the money. In the mean time, you should think about what type of job you really want. Make a list of your attributes, and if you have some friends that you really trust ask them to list your attributes too. Take care and hang in there Red, we can do this :)

Sub

redballoon
05-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Sub, thanks a ton for that long post. I don't have to worry about being a ***** I think, because I usually do just what I want (I think). But, work gets in the way of a lot of things and I have to work to earn money to keep my horse. But, you're right, I still have to put my body and my goals first, ahead of sloth and apathy.

Today was a great day. I rode and walked and rode my bike AND got to the gym, first time in weeks. I was surprised (not really) at how much muscle I'd lost. I was tired working out even which just shows what bad shape I'm in. But I feel great now, mentally. It was good to be back in the gym. Gotta keep that feeling.

Tell me what this walking tape is. Do you walk on a treadmill, outside, in place?

Tomorrow I am going to get out of the house early and walk a lot before work.

Ok, will try to write more soon. Thanks again! :sunny: Yes, we CAN do this. More power to you, Sub. :strong:

Take care! :wave:

subpremeprincess
05-26-2005, 09:57 AM
It is great that you made it to the gym this morning. Keep in mind that it takes about twenty times to make something a habit. Have you ever thought about teaching English as a second language to earn some extra cash? You could do well there and maybe earning some extra income would relieve some of the stress from your job. I know that housing isn't spacious in Tokyo and I think that Walk Away the Pounds would be a great workout for you because you don't need a lot of space. I am sure that you can march in place, do side steps, and kicks. You can do this workout if you do nothing else but wake up a half hour early to squeeze in the workout, or if you want walk for fifteen minutes before you leave and do the other 15 when you get home. Whenever I do my Walk Away the Pounds (WATP) I put a big L on the calendar. I like to see all the L's adding up and I know that I am not cheating myself. My diet is another story. I did much better when I was writing down what I ate everyday. I just have to get back in that habit. Today will be sixth straight day of working out. My son will be three tomorrow and I plan on spending a fun day with him, so I won't be working out. I will do a weigh-in Sunday. I don't have a scale, so this should be interesting. I haven't weighed myself in a month. I read an article earlier this week that said that a person needs to do at least 150 minutes of cardio a week to burn fat and lose weight. Make sure you put a big W on your calendar for your workout today. We have a lot of work to do...must get our asses moving :lol: Have a great day!

Sub

redballoon
05-26-2005, 05:29 PM
:lol: "We have a lot of work to do...must get our asses moving" !!!! Oh, you're SOO right, Sub. It's 5:30 a.m. I will try to do some work, then get out and walk further as part of getting to the office. I feel sore and fat this morning. Yesterday there was this challenge at the gym, so I signed up for it. The person who loses the most bodyfat percentage points wins. It was depressing but I had them weigh and measure my bodyfat. I think the machine was broken though! I used to always have around 28 percent and it was up to 40!!! But, I was wet with sweat and I think it was haywire. Not to worry, actually, the higher percentage means I have an advantage! My weight is basically the same, about 74 kgs, but I do have a ton more fat now because I lost a ton of muscle. I don't want all the muscle anyhow. This is my problem. I always just pack on muscle and so stay the same size. I am only 5 1 1/2 but am a size 10. So, I just look like a hulk. Short people just can't carry the weight well. I am tired of looking like a little powerhouse, which is what I am. Oh well, I can do this, slim down. Gotta go. Thanks for the long post again. Write soon! :wave:

subpremeprincess
05-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Good going on signing up for a challenge. I am sure you can whup their asses on the challenge :strong: Red, you probably just want to make your muscle lean. In order to do this, you will have to do high rep sets -- at least 15- 20 reps in each set. The last two or three reps should be damn near impossible to do; if not, then increase the weight. You really want to avoid heavy weights and low rep sets. Also, you should avoid training body parts more than twice a week. I know my diet is one thing that has been holding me up and this week I have worked harder at eating better. After all, weight loss is a matter of burning more calories than you take in. I was so tired last night that I didn't doing Leslie, so now I have to workout so that I can put that L on my calendar. I am also going to try and do something fun this weekend. Hopefully, I will make it down to the Electronic Music Festival. There are DJ's from all over the world here this year, as usual, so it should be alot of fun. I hope that you get to do something nice for yourself this weekend too. Maybe you can get a little riding time in...I hope to do some riding later this summer. Have a great weekend and I will post again soon. We will reach our goals, but its going to take alot of sweat and discipline on our part. I will post again very soon.

Sub

redballoon
05-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Heh sub, no time to post these days again. Why don't you come join me over on the 21-day challenge. No one is signing up and it's lonely......or on Back to Basics. There's not many people there so it's an easy thread. Some of the threads are just so chatty I can't keep up even if I post twice a day, which is impossible.

Did you get to your music festival? Sounds interesting. Electronic music? Didn't know they had such a festival. Well, guess they have something for everything. The weekend is usually my busiest time of week. I am bogged under with work and I hate it. A real pain. Damn. Wish me luck.

subpremeprincess
05-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey Red, I haven't made it down to the festival yet. I am going to the last day tomorrow.I've been busy around here. My son turned three, and I am planning on having a party for him next weekend. I did order Leslie's four mile challenge which I got Friday, and I have done it for the last two days now. What a workout. I am going to join you on the threads that you suggested...it is downright lonely here. Try not to work too hard, and I will check in with you to see how you are doing on the no sugar and beer challenge. I am starting a new eating plan Wednesday. I will be using the book Eat to Win because I am interested in cutting the meat in my diet down to a minimum. The Atkins is just too unhealthy for me to do. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sub

Crime girl
05-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi everyone!

Ok..Ok...I know...I stink...
I haven't been on here in forever and I apologize..
maybe it is too late to try to save the board but I am going to give it a shot and post even if nobody comes and talks to me. We will see...

I have been going through a major life change in the last few weeks-
I have been homeless..I am still jobless...and things have frankly not been so good. Despite that- that is not why I stopped posting. I simply couldn't make the time anymore and for awhile was without a computer..and for a short time ..homeless.
Anyway- I graduated and moved to Nashville TN and I am trying to make an effort to get back on track and start losing again. :D I am going to try to keep this board alive and I give my heartfelt thanks to those of you that made that possible.

Okay - well that is all for now- wanted to touch base..
I will be on later and tomorrow and will make an honest attempt to get on as much as possible.
I will also start a new thread if anyone wants me too...
I have missed you guys..

redballoon
05-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi Crime girl, sorry to hear things have been so tough for you. Same here. Sub and I stayed here for a while but no one else is around anymore. I suggest starting up a totally new thread and see if you can't get some new members.
Good luck.