Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #1  
Downsizing

Height: 5'7"

Default Does it get easier?

Hi all!

I'm mostly a lurker but recently started on a new diet as I've put on a few pounds from several vacations (too much indulging of course...it always goes out the window on vacation..lol).

My question is: Right now I am struggling with the hunger from restricting calories. I'm aiming for about 1200-1400 calories depending on my activity level for the day but I'm having difficulty keeping it below 1700. I am wondering if it gets easier..if the hunger subsides as your stomach shrinks, or is that just wishful thinking?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Sincerely,
Meredith
MeredithP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:51 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

It probably is different for every of us, but yes, for me it has somehow reduced the hunger feeling - or perhaps, "made it different" would be a better word. I don't really restrict calories, but as I have switched to more vegetables etc, somehow it is a restriction no matter what, because I can't gulp down 400 calories of mushrooms or green beans in a day anyway I've also cut down on processed foods, so I don't get the sugar cravings much anymore, and when I give in to one, I'm always disappointed after because it's not what I was expecting. On the other hand, when I'm hungry, I now know that it's real hunger, and not just a 4 o'click craving for an ice-cream or something.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:35 AM   #3  
Delicious Microwaved!

The bad news is that I personally can't say that the hunger pangs ever really reduced for me. There are many nights when I still feel like I'm starving-could-eat-an-entire-chicken-hungry when I'm trying to fall asleep. This may be entirely my fault though because I tend to eat snacks throughout the day along with one huge meal (a large percentage of it being a salad or veggies though) for lunch; so I think I'm doing myself somewhat of a disfavor by keeping my stomach strecthed out. I mean, heck, I can still out eat my boyfriend and friends (in bulk at least) at any salad bar or buffet.

The good news is that dealing with the hunger becomes a lot easier for me over time when I'm on a diet. It's like I just get used to the occasional stabbing hunger in my belly and, if I know it's not due to an actual need for calories, I find it very easy to ignore it. This may sound bizarre but I almost relish the occasional episode of unexplained hunger; it's something I never felt when I was very heavy and now I kinda like that empty feeling.

I totally agree with Kery that increasing the bulk of your intake with low calorie veggies is a great way to cope if you can handle eating that way. I ate a plate of brussel sprouts or bowl of green beans more times than I care to remember to negate the stomach pains.

Whether your stomach shrinks or you just become more adapt at handling the hunger pangs, either way, they will become easier to deal with! Just hang in there and you'll find your own path to your ideal weight.

Best of luck!!!
Luciole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #4  
Downsizing

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the replies, ladies.

I read something last night about the difference between dry foods and water-dense foods and I'm realizing that I need to make better choices in my snacks. Yesterday I had 4 low-carb protein bars! 4! Granted I also had some apples but at 150 calories each, those dry protein bars don't do much to fill me up but sure do add a significant amount of calories to my daily intake.

I have been reaching for apples a lot lately because the act of really digging my teeth into something and the water content of the apples really satisfy me, but even those need to be in moderation. 3 apples a day is probably too many.

So now my goal is to replace 1 of the apples and at least 2, preferably 3 of those protein bars with a serving of broccoli or some other veggie.

I've also got to drink more water because sometimes when I think I am hungry, I might really just be thirsty. Not sure about that but it is certainly worth experimenting with.

Thanks again for the replies.
MeredithP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #5  
Delicious Microwaved!

Meredith--

I think replacing the protein bars with veggies is a great idea. I personally don't really trust those darn bars anyway. I know they're supposed to be healthy, and quite a few of them are very tastey to boot, but in the end they're still processed food and I think you're better off eating the same calories in something completely natural and wholesome.

Do you like milk or chocolate milk? One thing I've done when I'm really hungry is to drink a serving of low fat chocolate milk. If you like milk, it's a great addition because not only does it coat your stomach and really give a decent feeling of fullness for about 150 calories, but it's also healthy and sweet!

Just another idea... Good luck!
Luciole is offline   Reply With Quote