Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Strange or different healthy foods and snacks

Healthy4Life
03-31-2005, 01:36 PM
I love eating green beans with steak sauce. Some may snarl there nose at this. I'm just wondering does anyone have any other unique healthy foods or snacks they enjoy?

marbleflys
03-31-2005, 01:46 PM
defrosted frozen Del monte premium blue lake green beans with low sodium teraki....(yes I'm weird)....

low sodium vegetable or chicken broth, with beaten egg white (egg drop soup!)

sweet pepper rings wrapped around a cherry tomato....

salad dressing or low-sodium soy sauce and balsamic vinegar....

( I feel like I'm confessing here)

Tealeaf
03-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Peas. Frozen peas. I thaw them (alot of them) and toss them in salad. I toss them into canned soup. I use them as a side dish. I hope they're kinda good for me!

rebelridergirl
03-31-2005, 03:59 PM
I really like canned water packed tuna with salsa mixed in it. Sometimes I eat it in a bowl or sometimes mix it all in a salad. Everyone says its nasty. I love it!

missaprylj
04-01-2005, 12:13 AM
I agree with the canned tuna.... love it. And it is also good with cottage cheese instead of mayo- and a lot better for you.

I love tofu... some people think that's weird. Hummus, Baba ganouj (like an eggplant relish) is really good and so is tabouli. Both can be made really healthy, look for ff or lf recipes online to check them out. My friends and family think I'm nuts for loving that stuff! :)

KTna
04-01-2005, 11:12 AM
What a great thread!
I love tofu also, (since I learned how to cook it) and hummus, and I also use tons of peas in my cooking.
But as a vegetarian I don't find those things strange at all.

Lets see something weird, maybe carrots with a honey mutard dip - I usually get looks for that.

VermontChick
04-02-2005, 12:07 PM
I love tuna fish on rice cakes...or anything strange piled on rice cakes. They give off that crunch and robust heartiness with a fraction of the calories of crackers or bread.

hefty1
04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
try cheese with pickles on crackers or pent butter and cheese. glen

lizziness
04-07-2005, 02:14 PM
I like to toss balsamic vinegar with green beans, gives a good flavor.

Also in my family is a weird treat we always called pear and cheese salad, a pear halve with a bit of mayo in the middle, and cheese sprinkled over the top, set it on a lettuce leaf for presentation. Sounds so gross, but is so yummy.

mauvaisroux
04-07-2005, 04:11 PM
I like canned tuna mixed with a little low-fat mayo and some garlic powder - sometimes I mix the tuna with a gourmet mustard (like chipotle -lime) instead of the mayo.

Hummous and tabouleh are awsome on pita and dipping raw veg in hummous or roasted red pepper dip is good to. I like ryvita crackers with laughing cow cheese spread.

Strips of raw sweet red pepper wrapped in a slice of lean ham and a lettuce leaf are yummy too!

teckeygirl
04-09-2005, 02:23 AM
This is weird and sort of pathetic...

I never liked fat free hot dogs (but i did get some fat free beef ones yesterday that were great) but my kids would get hot dogs sometimes and I'd crave one. Well, as a kid I always put ketchup, mustard, and relish on my dogs.. so as a replacement and a snack.. I'd take a piece of bread, put ketchup, mustard, and relish on it... fold it in half and eat it. It brought all the tastes I put on my hot dog and no it wasnt the same, but sometimes it fulfilled the desire I had.

That has to be the strangest snack!

Suzanne 3FC
04-09-2005, 03:10 AM
It sounds good to me, teckeygirl :) You couldn't pay me to eat a hotdog, but I have been known to fill a bun with all the toppings and enjoy the flavor of that. I also like hamburger buns with ketchup, mayo, and onions - no burgers for me :)

Luciole
04-10-2005, 03:23 PM
This is weird and sort of pathetic...

I never liked fat free hot dogs (but i did get some fat free beef ones yesterday that were great) but my kids would get hot dogs sometimes and I'd crave one. Well, as a kid I always put ketchup, mustard, and relish on my dogs.. so as a replacement and a snack.. I'd take a piece of bread, put ketchup, mustard, and relish on it... fold it in half and eat it. It brought all the tastes I put on my hot dog and no it wasnt the same, but sometimes it fulfilled the desire I had.

That has to be the strangest snack!

Teckeygirl... I have done that too!!! When I was a kid I used to eat ketchup and relish sandwhiches all the time. I remember talking on the phone to my friend and I mentioned what I was eating. Her response was so filled with horror and sympathy that I think she must have thought I was some poor orphaned waif. "Don't you have any food at your house" She says. :hungry:

I think my strangest diet friendly snack was when I heated up my boca burger and sandwhiched little pieces of it between baked lays chips. I'm sure it must sound bizarre but it was actually pretty good!

Alchina
04-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Great thread!! I love the tuna and salsa idea, I'll have to try that one!! Do you use fresh salsa or canned??

I'm sitting here tring to think of strange snacks I eat......I love to eat frozen sweet baby peas also...How about celery sticks with laughing cow light cheese spread, and mashed cauliflower (I don't eat them together). Those are just 2 strange snacks I enjoy.

lucky
04-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Teckeygirl: I do the exact same thing with hot dog buns. I only add mustard and ketchup. But, I can't wash it down with anything but skim milk. I have no idea why but no other drink will do!

Vanillalion
04-12-2005, 10:07 PM
My post is so boring when compared to some of yours, but since it was green beans that started us off...one of the best skillet dishes I have had is frozen green beans cooked in small pieces of sauteed onion and BARBECUE sauce. YUM. I have another one that involves peanut butter, but I won't go into it or we'll all start cravings... :)

kellbee
04-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I love baby corn from a can. It's so good! It's usually in the foreign foods aisle. I also love pickles and pickled banana peppers. I have to watch the sodium in take, but if i'm craving something (or eating b/c i'm bored), it's easy to grab a pickle. I also like green beans w/ worcestershire and mustard seeds.

caitietee
04-17-2005, 03:16 PM
I drink corn juice from the can.

I put honey mustard on plain popcorn.

If I am at a cookout and there is no fat-free salad dressing, I put ketchup and mustard on it.

Dip pretzels in yogurt.

Frank's hot sauce on tuna.

Fat free cream cheese spinkled with Splenda on toast.

Sugar free jelly in cottage cheese.

Any veggie dipped in ketchup.

That's all I can think of right now. But people usually make faces when they hear/see/smell what I am eating!

Flower Fan 86
04-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Baked potato chips on a tuna sandwich. Gives me the crunch that I am constantly craving.

I am a gardener. (Can tell by my name)
I eat a tomato sandwich EVERY day in the summer. Toast a piece of bread add some light mayo and pile it high with tomato slices.

I guess that is not really strange. Just repetitous. (My kids think I am crazy) : )

stacy123
08-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I put steak sauce on my baked potato instead of butter and sour cream. Yum!!

cadwell125
08-27-2005, 07:13 PM
flower, those tomato sandwiches bring back memories. my mom used to make tomato sanwiches with mayo, home-grown tomatoes, and salt & pepper for me when i was a kid.
i eat cheese-style yogurt (tastes like thick sour cream) right out of the tub. everyone thinks it's weird. i love it.
i also like ranch dressing on baked potatoes. makes my friends grimace, but it's so good.
plain tofu. delish!
and the kicker.. jalapenos on popcorn! omg, it's amazing!

redhorror
08-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Heh, this isn't exactly healthy but the last two posts reminded me of my own childhood and my love of mayo burgers. Heh, I can't even think about them now without feeling my stomache swell a little.

Now with me it's yogurt. I love flavored yogrut with cereal, puffed wheat, snd on breads. There were a lot of morning when instead of slathering on jelly and cream cheese I would just lather toasted rolls with flavored yogurt. IN fact, I'm a bit of a yogurt addict. If there's one thing I know I'm gettign in my diet it's calcium ^^;

JuliaTN
08-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Just yesterday for the first time I used my chocolate flavored protein shake with my cereal (Special K, low carb). The whole thing was sort of like cocoa pebbles. Quite good and lots of protein, fiber & calcium.

Nevaeh
08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
I love celery sticks & peanut butter... yummy

2frustrated
09-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Okay, wierd food combinations first (not healthy!)

1. ham and mustard crisps dipped in strawberry fromage frais

2. Maccyd's fries dipped in McFlurry :dizzy: (Not that I eat there any more. My parents eat there more than I do now. What is up with THAT - my Dad is the biggest hater of the no cutlery generation!)

I also have cottage cheese on toast. This morning, I had toast, jam(jelly) cottage cheese with sugar on top grilled. Was quite tasty!

I also just like avocados. Just eating them out of their shell :T

I'm a total boring bunny cos I don't like sauces or gravy or stuff so I tend not to mix stuff up. Oh, I like Marmite and crisp sandwiches too! :T

Marchie2003
09-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Cucumber sanwiches! When I was a kid my mom made them for me and it brings me back to my childhood. Now I make it with fat-free mayo and half a cucumber in a whole wheat pita! If you want to get a little crazy, add some sprouts. (3-4 WW points)

I eat dijon mustard with everything. I can't eat steak without it. I dip carrots in it, rub it on fish, dip grilled zucchini in it. It's insane!

Fat free cream cheese sprinkled with salt on a WW bagel. I work out so much, that I rarely think about the sodium intake.

Egg whites (3) on fat-free Nutri Gran waffles with NF syrup (5 points)

Whatever makes you happy and is still healthy works for me :o

broadwayfiend
09-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Okay, when I was doing low-carb I found that I liked lunch meat (ham or turkey) spread with mustard. That was goodness in itself.

Then there are banana sandwiches. You spread some mayonnaise ( <--- you couldn't pay me to eat that now) on a piece of bread and put a cut up banana on it. Yuuuummy.

I also second the cream cheese with splenda on toast.

toeps
09-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Snow peas sauted with Walla Walla sweet onions. mmmmmmmmmmmm! Could eat them all day! :D

RealCdn
09-14-2005, 11:05 PM
It's funny how you cycle through favourites, but back when I was on my spaghetti squash kick there was usually a baked one in the fridge. I would take a cup of the squash and microwave it topped with a couple of spoonfuls of salsa on top. (Can't beat it at 50 cals.)

Anne

tampagirlcmb
09-28-2005, 04:06 PM
I drink corn juice from the can.

I put honey mustard on plain popcorn.

If I am at a cookout and there is no fat-free salad dressing, I put ketchup and mustard on it.

Dip pretzels in yogurt.

Frank's hot sauce on tuna.

Fat free cream cheese spinkled with Splenda on toast.

Sugar free jelly in cottage cheese.

Any veggie dipped in ketchup.

That's all I can think of right now. But people usually make faces when they hear/see/smell what I am eating!
I honestly think I would make faces too!!! I could stomach the cream cheese on toast, but I would pass on the others! I have a friend who eats ketchup on everything - you guys should hang out! LOL Guess I'd have a hard time being on Fear Factor if I couldnt even drink corn juice!

cemetarysiren25
10-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Canned tuna (in water) mixed with fat-free mayonaise, a little onion powder, and horseradish!!

Heather
10-24-2005, 01:45 AM
I take the canned tuna and put some on my salad! That's good!

When I was 6, I didn't like jelly, so I brought peanut butter and butter sandwiches to school!! What was my mother thinking??!!

haleys
10-24-2005, 02:10 AM
I love putting a big spoonful of lowfat mayo in the middle of half of an avocado and eating the avocado with the mayo. Yummm, delicious!!!

When I was younger my dad used to make peanut butter, mayonnaise, pickle sandwiches which we both loved. I haven't had one for years, I'm not sure if I'd like it anymore.

I love just eating whole dill pickles! Yummmmm.

Grumbleworts
12-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Tofu with soy sauce and steak sauce. MMMMMMM good.
Baloney and ketchup sandwhich
ranch dressing or steak sauce on french fries and green beans
salsa and plain salted kettle chips.
PB sandwich with plain potato chips (not anymore, but i used to!)
and ranch dressing on cold spagetti. Heaven!

PhysDom
12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
An english muffin (toasted) with fat free cottage cheese on top, and then smoken salmon (not lox) on top of that with pepper.

Miso soup. Yum! Seaweed!!

Slice of low-fat ham with some low-fat cream cheese spread on it (just a little) and then roll up a pickle spear inside.

eesabella
12-17-2005, 07:02 PM
This thread is sooo gross! LOL Lots of good ideas too!

Hope mine makes someone gag :p I like any kind of mustard on mushrooms and carrots.

I don't do this anymore 'cause I think there is too much fat in it. I would eat olives plain, but I would slice them with a fork and a knife (about 4 times) and eat each tiny slice one at a time. Hee hee, I thought they tasted better like that!

becgris
12-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Okay, guess it's my confession time, although they're not too bad. (At least not for me)

Canned tuna with light vinagrette and diced pickles, onions, carrots, tomato

I also like any kind of tomato cut up with a red wine vinagrette (this is also good with canned green beans)

Frank's hot sauce on popcorn

cream cheese, apricot or peach jam, chopped green onions, and garlic powder makes for a very interesting spread on crackers

trudei
12-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Here are two that I do not eat anymore but are both from my childhood, My dad made them for us:
Sandwich with bolgna and cheese, mayo on one side and peanut butter on the other.

Also a slice of bolgna with peanut butter on it.

LLV
12-31-2005, 12:05 PM
I can't think of anything really GROSS, but I'm trying, lol.

I used to love cooking noodles and putting ketchup and mustard on them.

As for weird things that I eat now - hmmmmmm. I like fat-free cottage cheese mixed up with my scrambled egg whites. My husband totally grosses out over that.

I can't really think of anything else weird right now. If I do, I'll post back :)

honey-dipped
12-31-2005, 02:33 PM
I love to make Kimchi soup. Kimchi is a spicy, fermented cabbage. I grew up on the stuff and I usually dump lots of tofu in there and forgo the rice.

Toasted seaweed is also high up on my list. It's a great alternative to potato chips. lol...

My other favorite item would be denjang paste. It's a fermented soybean paste that is similar to miso, but much more distinctive. It's great as a soup or wrapped in a big piece of lettuce with rice and meat.

Arian
01-03-2006, 02:43 PM
I used to do french fries with Mayo..so good..but so bad for you.

I like all naturaly peanut butter on toast with some honey and banana.

Also, dorittos on tuna fish sandwiches.

Pastrami sandwich with mayo and american cheese, and pickles.

Moon Jaguar
01-03-2006, 06:57 PM
I like artichokes naked. No salt, no butter, no nuthin. I also think I'm the only one I know who spreads hummus on rye crispbreads. I eat things this way when I'm not watching my weight.

penpal
01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
The weirdest "healthy" things I've eaten have been in sushi bars.

For instance cod stomach (tasted pretty good) and raw freshwater crab (probably the worst tasting thing I've ever eaten - what bilge water must taste like! :barf: ) I have also had live giant clam that was still moving - that was a bit creepy but tasted ok.

Yogini
01-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Even though I don't eat lots of the things mentioned here because they aren't vegan, none of them seem weird to me, really...(other than the fact that they are animals and animal products, which is weird to me :o )

I think I've eaten most of what is listed at one time or another when I wasn't vegan, except animals that were still alive when I was eating them, that is.

Smilla
01-04-2006, 06:06 AM

Punchy
01-14-2006, 09:12 PM
I even ate the heads!

Moon Jaguar
01-14-2006, 09:30 PM
I heard that sardine bones are a good source of calcium. Sardine heads gotta be extra calci-yummy!

I always liked the crunch of salmon vertebrae.

futuresurferchick
01-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I love sardine sandwiches too..

The weirdest thing I currently eat is frozen fruit... I buy bags of frozen fruit, all different kinds, and I'll eat a bowlful for a snack, without defrosting anything.

LLV
01-15-2006, 12:10 AM
When I was little my dad used to make us sardine sandwiches with mustard, or sardine sandwiches with cheese whiz. I loved them, I liked it when the bones were a bit crunchy. They don't quite appeal to me now. :barf:
Can't say I like sardines, but I love canned smoked oysters. I open the can, drain off the oil, then rinse the oysters under hot water (to remove most all of the oil, I don't like it) then just eat them right out of the can.

mcpixy
01-16-2006, 08:37 PM
A1 steak sauce on scrambled eggs
blended fruit yogurt on my waffles
spreadable creamy swiss laughing cow cheese on celery sticks

racegirl78
01-16-2006, 09:53 PM
None too healthy, but here goes

A1 sauce on mac & cheese
canned corn liquid
canned tuna liquid
fritos or plain chips dipped in cottage cheese

And those are when I am NOT pregnant!

Actually when I was pregnant I craved frozen fruits and vegetables. Just let them sit out on the counter for 15-20 minutes...great in the summer!

SuchAPrettyFace
01-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Worcestershire sauce on canned tuna w/a bit of lite mayo. I have eaten this right out of the bowl at least once.

When I get a sour cream & chive baked potato @ Wendy's, I like to ask for packets of their chili sauce to put on it too. Yum!

hefty1
01-17-2006, 03:33 PM
i like hot dogs with mustard and peanut butter. glen

Shak3r
01-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Red Wine vinegar and a bit of olive oil for salad dressing of a green salad. Yum.

Infrogwetrust
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Red Raspberry tea...it's 0 points, you add one packet of splenda...it's hot and filling and it tastes like you are being bad and drinking juice.