Support Groups - *~40 somethings~*

View Full Version : *~40 somethings~*

curlylocks
03-31-2005, 06:56 AM
I posted earlier in the week about having a 40's age group section so .. reading along inthe posts it said to created a thread under "support groups" and they can move it... soooo

Anyone in their 40's wanna join in? i am 44 from southern maryland... just gettin started on my journey (3/14/05) I am working to rid my self of at least 125 lbs .. working on the 100 first!

I live in a rural area so walking is my main form of exercise ..

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar027/slider-scale/lb/288/165/280/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

FrouFrou
03-31-2005, 10:54 AM
Hiya Curlylocks~

I'm here, hope some of the others follow or others jump on board. Anyway, I would love to join as I said. I'm 46 and on this journey for the umpteenth time and hoping it will be the last time! Not sure why I keep doing this...I lose and then gain and then lose and then gain, yadda, yadda. But I am tired of it for sure.

Hope to see more ladies! Take care :wave:

curlylocks
03-31-2005, 11:04 AM
yep me 2.. i lost 120 lbs... and i think all but 32 found me! but i know what happened.. lol or should i say "who" heartache... anyways ... im back on track I figure if i can do it 1 time i can surely do it again!!

Just have to keep focused and brain wash myself lol!

bailey7
03-31-2005, 11:13 AM
:D I want in!!! I'm 46, married, 3 kids all grown and gone, really been slow at losing the 54 lbs. I've wanted to lose by July. I live in Ontario, Canada and while hubby works 6 days a week, I have nothing to do. Let's get this going!!!! ;)

curlylocks
03-31-2005, 11:32 AM
i want a hubby ! cuz i work 6 days a week and i wanna sit home lmao!

oh let me edit that >> i want a hubby that will let me sit home. and we can afford for me to sit home... lol

curlylocks
03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
hey everyone they said if our 40's group does well and has a lot of interest they will make us a sticky!!!! whoooo hoo!! COME ON ALL YOU 40 SOMETHINGS!!!!

bailey7
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
i want a hubby ! cuz i work 6 days a week and i wanna sit home lmao!

oh let me edit that >> i want a hubby that will let me sit home. and we can afford for me to sit home... lol

Sorry hon, ya' can't have mine ;) lol

But seriously it's really boring and very difficult to stay out of the kitchen. I seem to be fine while I'm on the computer but if I sit down to watch my soaps I just want to eat. :dizzy:

curlylocks
03-31-2005, 04:42 PM
I was off yesterday .. it was nice to be able to take my pup for a walk in the middle of the day.. actually i was off work for 8 weeks last year, I had a lumbar laminectomy 3 discs!! but by the time i was feeling good enuff to enjoy the time off ... it was time to go back to work... i didnt miss work not one bit!!! lol

curlylocks
03-31-2005, 04:46 PM
are u guys finding it harder to get the weight off now that we are in our 40's then when we were younger?? and is anyone having any menopause issues? just curious i think i have had a few hot flashes but im not sure they seem to come and go.. and its been @ 5 mths since ive had a period... but im not sure if thats menopause or just becuz i had put on like 30 lbs real quick? my mom was in her early 40's

FrouFrou
03-31-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi Ladies~

Curlylocks~oooohhh, menopause issues! Where to start...my doc thought I was going through it, well actually I am, periomenopause (sp?). I think they say you can go throught that for 5 years, YIKES! I know I have had my fair share of hotflashes and no periods. Last year I went 6 months without a period and was having hot flashes and then BAM! out of the blue I started and the hotflashes stopped. Haven't been having as many hotflashes and just missed a period in Feb. thinking oh good maybe this time it will actually be over. Well, no...started last week.

I am finding it harder to lose the weight being older. Of course I know I can do if I actually stick to something long enough. However, it does seem to come off very slow for me. I am happy though if I lose a pound a week. I would rather lose it slow and keep it off than to take it off too fast.

Bailey~I don't have a problem staying out of the kitchen. I have all the right foods stocked in there. My problem is eating out so much. A very bad habit I am trying to break and am finding it very hard to quit. If I was a smoker I would say it is as hard as trying to quit smoking.

Anyway, I need to get ladies but will be back for more chat later tonight or tomorrow morning. Hope you all are having a wonderful day.

curlylocks
03-31-2005, 06:26 PM
I was taking allesse for birth control but there are too many health risks at this age.. but odd that i put weight on when i stopped them.. i lose when i am on them...

even more frightening ending up pregnant at 44!! yikes! tho the guy i am dating now was born to his mother when she was in her 50's can u imagine????

I always wanted children tho.. was always waiting till i was married..

i just went out to take my bratty pup for a walk and the wind is howling and its raining! dang it! so we had to come back in..

PURPLEPANSY
03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Hi all
I am 41, married with two teen daughters. count me in. I'm doing weight watchers and hope to get rid of this flab for good!!!
LYNN~

curlylocks
03-31-2005, 09:51 PM
hi Lynn!
Nice to meet u!!! wow that is awesome how u have set your goals up each step along the way!! I'm with u this time this weight is gonna be gone for good!!!! and its great to see ya over here in the 40's !!!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar027/slider-scale/lb/288/165/280/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

squishy
03-31-2005, 10:35 PM
are u guys finding it harder to get the weight off now that we are in our 40's then when we were younger??

I've heard that your metabolism slows by 5% every decade, so apparently it will only get worse... :(

curlylocks
03-31-2005, 10:59 PM
BOY... mine must have come to a halt when i was 7!!! LMAO ive been overweight all my life.. opps no maybe from age 0-5 i was at goal lol
i lost the 120 watching what i ate.. exercising and using a very low dose of phentermine.. but i was still overweight by the charts..

i do think it has to be some chemical imbalance that makes people have a tendency or pre-disposition to be heavy.. and its not just food intake and inactivity alone.. cuz i see people all the time shoveling the food in and not exercising and they are stick thin...
my mom for one.. it wasnt until she hit 55 that she could even get over 100 lbs! and ive always wondered my dad isnt heavy, grandparents arent heavy.... hmmm

then just a few weeks ago i learned something i never knew.. my mom's grandmother was very heavy over 400 lbs

AHAAA! well that along with every home movie i see of me as a child i had a bag of chips in my hand.. stuffin em in my mouth lol

lilybutt
03-31-2005, 11:21 PM
Hi all!!!!

I would love to join…….I am 43…on my…..single, never married, no kids, just kitties! Career girl I suppose! I was at al all time high or 320 once……but lost 100 pounds after a nasty breakup with a long term boyfriend……gained some back, but have managed to keep in under control! I did start dating again, everything we did revolved around food so keeping it in check was hard……again another bad break up……now I am with some one who really supports my diet and exercise…a new thing for me!!!! And it is good. My main problem is the all or nothing thing. I can be so good and stay on a diet (I count calories….between 1200-1600 a day) for weeks at a time, then one day eat one thing to pull me off the program and wham!!!!! The flood gates are open and hold me back!!!! Then it is so hard to get it back. This week I am on spring break and away from my routine and it has been soooooo hard! It will be nice to share with you all!!!

As far as being over and 40 and finding it harder…..definitely…… I find exercise definitely helps…but then that is harder…a lot more aches and pains!!!! Oh well, the alternative isn’t any better!

Lilybutt

curlylocks
04-01-2005, 06:48 AM
hi lily

320 was my all time high also! i lost... regained and now im taking it back off... i have 3 kitties and avery bad dog! single, no kids... and sounds like we have had similar experiences..

i met the guy i am interested in on a big friends dating site, tho he works so much (getting a new company going) we dont get to go out much.. and maybe its just me but somehow i feel like if i were thinner he might make a lil more time for dating... or maybe thats just my lack of self confidence sneaking in....

its hard to explain.. i mean when we met he said u are cute as a button.. well thats nice but I want his eyes to pop outta his head and his tounge to drop to his feet hahaha!

i dont wanna be cute i wanna be a "sex kitten" hahahahaha

sanheart
04-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Count me in too! Going to be 45 at the end of the month and need to lose 40 lbs.

curlylocks
04-01-2005, 11:00 AM
ok anyone have ideas of what they would like to do within this group?? umm weekly reports of weight loss? umm step challenges? maybe a walk across the US on the america on the move site.. as a group? activities we can do together?

bailey7
04-01-2005, 11:07 AM
ok anyone have ideas of what they would like to do within this group?? umm weekly reports of weight loss? umm step challenges? maybe a walk across the US on the america on the move site.. as a group? activities we can do together?

:coffee: Since I'm really new to all this (I mean everything, the computer, the dieting and the excersizing) I'm gonna leave that up to you and I'll just follow along, but I will input ;)

FrouFrou
04-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Good morning ladies~

WELCOME Lilybutt, Squishy, Lynn & Sanheart! :wave:

Curlylocks~I too will let you ladies figure it out as far as what to do with the thread. I'll go along with just about anything. My WI day is Monday but there would be no problem in changing if you ladies wanted to have an officially WI day. Like the sound of a walk across the america on the move site. I am posting on a walking thread in the exercise thread so have made a goal for miles to walk for the month of April.

Squishy~didn't need to hear that one! 5% eh? I better do something now then and nip it in the bud. I definitely don't want to get worse and I don't want to stay the same.

Well, have a good day ladies, see ya! :wave:

mehitabelx
04-01-2005, 02:28 PM
hi,

i'd like to join you too. i'm 41. and like lilybutt - never married, no kids... just kitties. i've had weight problems all my life. or was told i did... when i look back i was really only about 10 -15 lbs overweight in high school. oh, what i'd give for that now! lol. i hit my all time high of 233 last year and decided enough was enough. i'm doing well with the eating. i tend to slack off a bit on the exercise though. so that's something i'd like to work on. although it's tough finding something that doesn't kill my knees. or feet. or back. (it's rough getting old!)

it's nice to meet you all!

kristin

marbleflys
04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Add me to the group please! I'm 48 and regained about 35 of the 60 lbs. I lost previously. I'm losing again, down 13# since January 15 (have to change the tracker-thingi). It is harder than it was 5 years ago! This time I have use a scrip (Meridia) to get the scale moving.....and my waist is the last place it will leave!

No meno. symptoms.......I get it every month...feel great these days, but i think the Meridia has an anti-depressant effect.

Divorced, s/p live-in boyfriend, s/p live-out boyfriend and one child age 24 (she lives out too)...Me and my Akita and 2 Maine Coone cats.....

One thing i've noticed that is a very big incentive to lose.....my face looks *older* with extra weight on it!

curlylocks
Hi Kirstin!!!!

WOW looks like u are making great progress!. great to have to joining in with us!!!!

rightway
I want to join! I've been reading the 3fatchicks website this last week and started my official healthy eating for life today. I'm not quit sure about all the posting or threads, etc. but I really need some weight loss friends. I figured out how to register and get a signature (I think, I'll see if it shows up in this message) so I'm doing good. I'm 45, body feels like 65 and I'm tired of it.

curlylocks
04-01-2005, 04:38 PM
HI rightway!!! sounds like most of us are all getting started or re-started !!! this should be fun!!!

curlylocks
04-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi marbleflys!!!

nice to meet u!! yep i think the extra weight makes me look older 2! i know it makes me feel older!! plus i guess we are at that age where the xtra weight begins to affect our health as well... OK together we will all be strong!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Queenofdenial
04-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone.. I'm in like Flynn ~

I'm 41 and seem to have much the same story as y'all.. I lost over 320 lbs about 7 years ago and kept it off until I got married. Now I've gained about 100 back. I'm at 285 right now and sure would like to get rid of 40-50 by the end of the year..and go from there.

Cristi04, I really like the mini goal ticker you have, and I want to add my two cents as long as it was asked what we should do for motivation and weight loss..I think the mini ticker is a great idea.. we can do 5 lbs or 10.. at a time. I see Cristi uses two tickers.. smart gal!

But I am open to anything. I'm a WW member and of course that has been an up and down experience for me, but I don't want to quit ~ b/c I know I can do this, I've done it before.

Glad to be aboard the 40s train! Choo Choo!

lilybutt
04-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Oh my……I have had a lazy day….last day of my Spring Break…back to work on Monday! I love my job, but I really love time off! Doing much better OP today. Tonight my boyfriend is coming over so that will help me stay away from the snackies! I haven’t been exercising like I should this week…and I had all this time off, but nursing a sore knee. In my experience, letting it heal for a few days pays off much better than working through it at this age…..the weather will be nice this weekend so I will go for a few walks outside the next few days and see how it is…..has anyone tried that Glucosamine Chondroitin for joint pain? I am thinking about trying it to see if it helps. I am going to Europe this summer on a tour with a girl friend and I know it will mean a lot of walking…..I am physically up to that….except for my knee pain lately which I suspect is just a result of over working it. I may be fat, but I am fit as I say……I exercise very regularly…..not to the level a “normal” sized person would….but I walk 2 ½ miles-2 ¾ miles in 40 minutes, or swim ¾ mile in 40 minutes, or bike for 40 minutes 4 times a week…so I do work out regularly….and I think I just over did it one day and now have knee pain. I really want to pick up the walking for the next few months before I go so that I am able to keep up with the group without foot or knee pain and wonder if this supplement will help…anyone try it?
Lilybutt

Queenofdenial
04-01-2005, 07:08 PM
I have not tried that particular item for joint aches. How exciting to be going to Europe..what countries will you be touring?

lilybutt
04-01-2005, 07:36 PM
I will be going to London, Paris and Rome! I have never been to Europe and it worked out that a girlfriend knew of a tour, so we grabbed it! Going in June....so I have time to work on my knee and get it back in shape....actually now that I think of fit....I hired a trainer for 10 sessions and she had me doing squats a lot.....that may have done it! I remeber telling her it hurt my knees....hmmmm......well like I said...I think a few days off to heal it up and I will try the glucosamine and see what happens....
Lilybutt

curlylocks
04-01-2005, 08:38 PM
ok lets all copy off Cristi and have a mini goal of 10 pounds by may 9th??? hehehe!

Fat in Hong Kong
04-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi Everyone!

Can I join in too?? I'm 42, married with two kids aged 16yrs and almost 13yrs. I'm from the UK but have been living in Hong Kong for nearly 4 years due to hubby's job. Have been overweight for a number of years, but as I'm getting older it really is having an effect on my life ... feel old, fat and frumpy, always got aches and pains etc. My friends who are all around the same age are slim and active and look years younger than I do. I don't want to look and feel this way anymore.

Over the past few years I seem to have been constantly starting new diets ... losing a few pounds then gaining them back again .... never being able to stick with it for more than a few weeks at a time. I definitely seems much harder the older I get. I realise that it's time to start a new lifestyle before it's too late ... healthy eating and exercise. My husband is very fit and active, he does a lot of walking, taking part in charity walks etc. I'd love to be able to share this with him but I'm so totally unfit that it's not been possible. He's very encouraging and I have started to do more walking but I can't pretend it's easy.

I'm up for any challenge ... I've got skinny friends visiting from the UK this summer who I haven't see for some time and I don't want to look like this when they arrive!!!

Nichola

Sugar Cube
04-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Love seeing the 40's club here.

I am 47, married with one daughter, 6 going on 26, and work full time. I have recently restarted Nutrisystem to jumpstart myself. My minigoal is 170 by June 1st. NS really helps with my hectic work schedule and portion control. I just eat out of the box.

My exercise goal is to get to the gym 4 out of 7 days in a week, since I go when they open at 5:30 am, I am not yet making the habit.

CURLYLOCKS - Love the husband part and staying home.

I hope we become a sticky.

It is way harder to take weight off in my 40's, married and a mom. The last time I had to do this, I lost 2 pounds a week and kept it off because I was only answering to myself. I was at the gym for 60 minutes 6 mornings a week, and socialized at the gym on Friday evenings. Now, I am picking someone up, making a meal, or folding laundry, love it all, but it does take a toll on my self control.

LYNN - Hi love the Hawaii ticker, very cute.

I know what my problem is, too much food, that is why the portion control is so important for me.

RIGHTWAY - Are you doing Body For Life as well as the Eating For Life? I like the workouts in BFL, they make a lot of sense.

LILYBUTT - You are right about the knees, I find that the squats if not perfectly done, can cause lots of problems. I even had problems when I was a buff 126, ended up traveling with a knee brace so I wouldn't miss any fun.

10 pounds by May would be my mini goal, I need to get there to be on my way to my own goal on June 1st.

curlylocks
04-01-2005, 10:20 PM
we sure would love to have u join us!!!! they say there is strength in numbers!!! we can boost each other up!!!

mini goal >>> http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar063/cartoonstar01/lb/280/270/280/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

curlylocks
04-01-2005, 10:29 PM
lol i'm eating outta the box also but its the "healthy choice box"

i have cereal with fruit for breakfast, soup or salad for lunch, and healthy choice or lean cusine for dinner, with a side salad or xtra veggie.. then fruit or single serving jello or fat free pudding as a snack some place in the day...

i need that portion control too! and there is nothing else in my house!! friends at work gave me easter candies and and i promptly dumped them back into their community candy bowl !!

making myself eat breakfast and lunch has been the hardest part of then entire journey so far.. But i find that i am not picking and hunting in the evenings now!

DonnaD
04-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Hi,
I've been visiting this site for over a yr. I've been up and down 10lbs over and over during that time.
I'm 45, with 3 sons, 27,23 & 22. All still living home :fr: Happily married almost 28yrs. As far as menipause or perimeni, not really. Just started showing some signs but the doc said that it's probably from my diabetes. I still get it every 28 to 40 days. up until about 8 mos ago I used to get it every 28 to 30 days. No hot flashes either. My problem is the weight is keeping my blood sugars up. I've been really down in the dumps. Diet wasn't helping. The loss was too slow and no change and I've also been going to the gym 4-5 days a wk. I work full time and I'm up early with a new puppy.

Curlylocks, I'm sure you know how that is. We are up at 5:45 and walk for 30 minutes. After work I go to the gym for at least 30 minutes of cardio.

Lillybutt, I hired a trainer for 5 sessions. I thought he was going to kill me. Young guy that just didn't get it. Those squats...aaahhh! couldn't move for 2 days.

Anyway, they keep changing my meds to no avail and I'm so depressed that for the last week I've been blowing the eating big time. I really need to get it together. My mom died at 49 from complications of diabetes and heart disease. My youngest son is getting married in July of 2006, and I want to be alive, healthy AND LOOK DAMN GOOD IN MY GOWN!!!!

So, I am here to try and get myself motivated again. I love the fact that we are all in the same age group.

And to all of you that have lost soooo much in the past. How? I've been carrying this weight around for yrs and the most I ever lost was 33 lbs. I can't imagine what a significant amount of weight loss must feel like but I'd love to find out.

I'm in!

Nice to meet you all.

curlylocks
04-02-2005, 08:41 AM
After a ton of lab tests the dr told me that some marker in my blood says that my blood sugar is normal BUT that it shows my body is working too hard to keep it normal and making too much insulin ( he says becuz of my weight) and the dr put me on Metformin 500 mg 2 times a day..

I guess when u are overweight your body has to work harder to control your blood sugar levels... and thats where u get those sugar and carb cravings from!!
the metformin really gets them under control becuz it helps your body regulate your blood sugar..

I would never have known i had a problem becuz visits to my regular dr always showed normal blood sugar levels.. and even when i tested with a meter myself they were normal it was only with more detailed testing that i found out that i was having a problem with the way my body was getting my sugar levels down to normal...

so this is something all you ladies may want to ask your drs about.. or ask your family dr to refer you to an endocrinologist...

curlylocks
04-02-2005, 08:50 AM
P.S. How did i get 40 so fast? lmao

LisaBee
04-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi can I join too?
I'm Lisa, 41 yrs old, widowed mom to 3 kids, 13, 11 and 9 (boy, boy, girl) 2 dogs, a rabbit, a hamster and a fish named Bob. I teach pre-kindergarten and Stress is my middle name!! I started South Beaching it 4 weeks ago and so far so good.
I live in MA where it is raining buckets today.
Lisa

curlylocks
04-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Im actually Lisa also! lol a fish named Bob! its trying to rain here also! I had big plans for playin in the yard... now im tryin to type with a tabby on my keyboard and a german spitz trying to knck the cat off the keyboard... when he isnt attempting to knock over my bottle of water! ... Great to have u join in with us!!!!!

DonnaD
04-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi Curlylocks,I am glad they were able to pick up on the elevated blood sugars before they became a real problem. I'm sure as you lose, (which you will :cheer: ) the need for the metformin will deminish. I'm on the max dose if 1000mg 2x a day and they just increased my altose to 45 mg and it's still not working. :stress: So it's really important to lose the weight. But the altose increased hunger and causes weight gain :dizzy: :crazy:

I've starting to think drastic thoughts, like medifast or some diet program.

Any thoughts anyone?

Nichola, I've never traveled much. How exciting it must be. it's hard when skinny friends visit in the summer...shorts :fr: Walking is a great way to start an exercise program. You'll be suprised at how fast you'll build up to more miles. It's so great you DH is supportive. Mine isn't unsupportive, but doesn't get involved.

Sugarcube, I would love to get to the gym in the mornings. I've been going after I get home from work and walk and feed the dog. It's been getting harder and harder. I'm a morning person. I'm trying to make the switch but with the pup it's hard. I guess I could get to the gym around 6, leave by 6:45 and that would give me and hour and 15minutes to shower and feed and walk the dog. :?: It would be a struggle but then when I get home after work I could take him for his long walk that he normally gets in the morning. I feel guilty either way. I'm sure it's a challenge with a 6 yr old and I keep going on about a puppy. (the kids grow up and I obsess on a puppy :lol: )
Anyway, maybe we can do a check in to see if we've gone to the gym each morning. I would like to do 4-5 x wk. Let me know what you think..

Lilly, as I said to Nichola, I don't travel much..but that sounds soooo exciting.

Queenofdenial, Love that name. If you lost over 320 lbs before, you must have such willpower and I'm sure you'll do it again. I've never been very successful. I tried so many plans: SBD, SB, WW, LAWL and yrs ago:Nutrisystem, Medifast, JennyCraig...if I had kept all the $ I spent, I could buy a new body :lol3:

I'm sorry I went on for so long ladies.
Hi Cristi, Lynn and Squishy.
Hope I didn't miss anyone. :balloons:

Well, we are supposed to get a months worth of rain in the next 24 hrs. :rain: So it looks to be an inside weekend.

I hope everyone has a great weekend no matter what the weather.

Queenofdenial
04-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Queenofdenial, Love that name. If you lost over 320 lbs before, you must have such willpower and I'm sure you'll do it again.

Gosh, I am so sorry.. that should have read I WEIGHED over 320.. I didn't lose that much. I actually lost somewhere around 140-150 lbs..

But yes, I agree if I did it once I can do it again. I'm all over the mini goal of 10 lbs by May 9th!!

Queenofdenial
04-02-2005, 12:37 PM
What kind of exercise do you all do? I try to treadmill during the week. I used to treadmill every day 4-6 miles but then my knees buckled up on me and that is sort of when my weight gain began to come back slowly at first.

Queenofdenial
04-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Just want to add - it's really hard to follow everyone's posts with so many going on in one thread.. I'm sorry if I dont' get to everyone's thoughts or respond. Hopefully they will see us blabbering on and give us our own forum.. woohoo!

marbleflys
04-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi Everyone!

terrible weather for the NJ folks this weekend....... but I did my weigh-in today and the scale shows I'm down a bit over 13.5 lbs. in the last 2 1/2 months......

how about a daily thread to keep up with eachother? or if you have any other suggestions? (I couldn't find us at first, I forgot what forum we were in?)

have a great weekend!

bailey7
04-02-2005, 02:42 PM
What kind of exercise do you all do? I try to treadmill during the week. I used to treadmill every day 4-6 miles but then my knees buckled up on me and that is sort of when my weight gain began to come back slowly at first.

I'm doing the eliptical for 20 min. then a rest then back on at a higher tension for 10 and 60-80 crunches. That's about all I can handle at this point but I'm confident that I will be able to last longer soon!! I cheated and got on the scale this morning and lost 2 lbs. since Mon. so that brings my grand total to 20 lbs. lost, 35 more to go :D

bailey7
04-02-2005, 03:47 PM
What's everyone eating today? I had bran flakes and banana and skim for breakfast, lunch was a smaller than a sandwich plate of pasta, roasted red peppers and a couple of broccoli flowerettes with a sprinkle of parm and a hard-boiled egg. Dinner will be cajun chicken breast with some cold shrimp.
:)

lilybutt
04-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Goodness this is an active bunch!!!! How much fun!!!

Well I went for an hour long walk this afternoon outside. I didn’t power walk but had a pretty brisk pace….trying to be gentle on the knee. No pain so I will see how it goes tomorrow.

What did I eat today…oh my…since I live alone…..I have weird eating habits, but here goes….Breakfast: 2 pieces of 40 cal. Bread with simply fruit jelly. Lunch: 2 more pieces of bread with 2 oz of deli roast beef and a chicken noodle soup at hand. Snack: 100 cal packet of wheat thins. Dinner: Lean pocket (sausage and pepperoni) and a slim fast candy bar. My, it looks like fruits and veggies are missing! I usually eat some everyday, but simply lazy today…..I will make up for it tomorrow! I am going out for a couple of drinks with a girl friend later, so wanted to save some calories for a few glasses of wine….a once a week indulgence! Still have a couple hundred cal to work with incase I need a snack later! Hmmmmmm I have some strawberries in the frig!

Lilybutt

Fat in Hong Kong
04-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Donna, hubby has tried to be supportive over the years as far as dieting is concerned, but to be honest I thinks he's now sick and tired of me constantly 'talking' about diets but 'doing' nothing. So, he's changed tact and decided to encourage me in the exercise department instead, which to be honest is what I need. I lead quite a sedentary lifestyle, I work part-time in a school and when I get home at lunch time I tend to slob around doing nothing! I really am making an effort to do more walking from now on. We have a large dog who needs lots of exercise so I'm determined to take her on longer walks when I get home from work. And at weekends I'm going on long hikes with hubby ... which kill me!!! ... but he keeps telling me it will get easier!!

Our friends visiting in the summer really has given me some motivation to do something about my weight ... as you said "shorts"!!! :eek: ... and God forbid "swimwear"!!! :yikes: We live in an apartment complex which has a swimming pool which is due to reopen shortly now the warmer weather is arriving ... I'm going to make an effort to swim at least 3 times a week and walk every day ... and hopefully get a bit of a tan too ... the wobbly bits never look quite so bad with a tan do they?! :lol:

Well, obviously we have a bit of a time difference with the States, so I've only eaten breakfast so far, which was a banana ... usually I'll have cereal, banana/fruit, yogurt or a combination of two of these. Lunch is usually a salad sandwich with tuna or ham and sometimes a veggie soup. Dinner is usually a salad or veggies with chicken or fish, or sometimes pasta with salad, or stir fried chicken and veg with rice. I never used to eat much fruit but I find if I chop up a selection of fruits and leave a bowl in the fridge I can easily get in the necessary servings each day.

My biggest problem (apart from lack of exercise!) is portion control! I tend to eat more than my hubby ... and I pick at food whilst I'm preparing dinner ... and I tend to finish off any leftovers ... secretly of course!! :mad: This however is going to stop, right here and now! I've stocked up my fridge and kitchen cupboards with totally healthy foods ... I haven't bought anything that will tempt me. Even stuff that I've bought for the kids, like cookies (I always feel guilty if I deprive everyone else of certain foods just because I'm greedy and have no willpower to resist them!), I've bought ones that I really don't like ... and probably neither do they, so I dare say I'll be getting some complaints ... but if they don't eat them either, then it's doing them good too, right? :lol:

Sorry, I seem to have rambled on a bit here! Time to go and do some jobs I suppose! :p

Nichola

LisaBee
04-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Exercise....hmmm have to work at that. I have a treadmill and bad me...I taught my yellow lab, Willow, how to walk on it so that on rainy days/snowy days, I could get her exercised. She uses it more than I do! Now that nicer weather will be here (once this rain blows through) I'll take Willow out walking more often.

Today for B'FAST: I had 2 hard boiled eggs and 3 cups of tea. SNACK: a low fat cheese stick, 5 triskets, LUNCH: a South Beach choc shake (1 c 1% milk, 1/4 c ricotta cheese, 1tbsp peanutbutter, 2 tsp ff/sf jello choc pudding, ice cubes....blend). DINNER: Well...I over indulged!! Had a Salad with balsamic vinegrette dressing, had 2 scallops, 2 pieces of bread (a no-no), chicken Fresca (marsala sauce, baby spinach, garlic, roasted red peppers) green beans, tomato bruchetta topping (no bread) 2 diet sodas and a cup of coffe with 2 1/2 and 1/2 creamers. So....lots of water tomorrow and NO BREAD!

Lisa

lostintx
04-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi! I just joined yesterday, but have been reading different threads for the past week. I posted a thread in the "Buddy Up" forum... I got one reply.
Then I found this one.
I am very soon to be 44. I have battle my weight for yrs. I am 5'3 and now weigh 169. I work on my feet everyday and every pound I gain I feel in every step I take!
Its hard for me to stick to a diet...I work in a restaurant and food is plentiful. I work 9 1/2 hrs a day and by the time I get home, exercise is like "NO WAY"
Its so hard for me to eat healthy because I dont always have time to eat. Does that make any sense? There are days when I got to work, which is 5 am and when I get off at 2:30 pm I have been too busy to eat anything. Then I do the worse....I eat at 6 pm and 2 hrs later I am in bed.
I have taken step 1 and have cleaned out the kitchen of all bad foods. I have been doing alot of research on the low carb diet. Nothing white!
Starting Monday I come clean. I am going to weigh in.

curlylocks
04-03-2005, 08:12 AM
o wow that would be way too much temptation for me lostintx!! Maybe you can get one of the chef's to hook u up! so that if u have to just grab something on the go u will have something healthy waiting for u??
You should get a pedometer and wear it while you work just to see how many steps you are getting in.. I bet its a lot! they say if u get 10,000 steps a day thats all you need for weight loss if you watch your food intake..

ive said eating 3 meals has been the hardest part for me... i think the carbs are my down fall also! I havent cut them completely out but i am trying to cut back on them cuz i am a bread and pasta lovin fool... lol

and thats so true if its not in the house u sure cant eat it... lol i go hunting in the evenings ... but all i have is snack paks of jello! haha

curlylocks
04-03-2005, 08:21 AM
lets see yesterday all it did here in maryland was rain... rain and rain some more.. so i was watching some of the new shows on the food network "calorie commandos", weighing in" and saw a reciepe for a lower calorie meat loaf looked pretty good so then i started thinking i wanted some stuffed cabbage...

so my project today... I am gonna attempt to make the stuffed cabbage and do it without the rice by replacing the rice with grated carrot?? might end up being a mess hahaha

and i need to go buy a bathroom scale becuz i dont go back to the dr until june!

ok wishing everyone a happy sunday!!!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar063/cartoonstar01/lb/280/270/280/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

halfame
04-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey all....46 here ... and fat :lol:

I've lost weight before...a LOT of it...many times. I'm a textbook case "yo yo" dieter...and it really has my system messed up. I started on the southbeach diet in September, 04 and have lost a little over 70 lbs so far and it's been incredibly easy. I love this WOE. I have soooo much more to go and that's the part that is hard to deal with. I have a closet full of beautiful clothes in every size all the way down to size 6 (at this point, my big toe fits into most of them). I'm aiming for summer, 2006 to be at my goal weight but I'd love to be in my size 14/16's at least for Christmas this year.

New to the board here.....my old one got swallowed up in a riptide or something...it totally vanished yesterday.

Thanks for being here.....support is one of the most important things as we continue this voyage to healthy living.

bailey7
04-03-2005, 10:51 AM
:) Good morning everyone! Just stopped by for a minute to see the new posts before I clean the bathroom :p then it's excersize. Hope everyone has a good day :D

curlylocks
04-03-2005, 01:11 PM
hi halfame!

wow 70 lbs... thats awesome!! Im gonna have to checkthat south beach diet out! great to have u join us..

lilybutt
04-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Well I over did it a bit last night on the drinks, but oh well, back on the wagon today! It is suppose to be in the upper 60’s so looking forward to going for a walk a little later. Otherwise, back to work tomorrow so back to reality for me!!! Probably for the best, but I am as bad as the kids when it comes to school breaks! I will start my count down to days left tomorrow!!!!

Hope all is well with everyone!
Lilybutt

lostintx
04-03-2005, 01:36 PM
mmm..stuffed cabbage does sound good! LOL! I am heading to the grocery store here in a little bit. I am armed with a list that I am sticking to. I have been going thru my low carb cookbook this morning and have this weeks dinners all planned out. Wish me luck!!
Halfame... thats wonderful that you have 70 lbs! You are definately doing something right!
Im even thinking about going to the park this afternoon and walking. Its a beautiful day.
Have a great day! :D

curlylocks
04-03-2005, 07:19 PM
IF we could have seperate areas within our forum what areas would u like to cover? exercise, food, progress,receipes, maybe chat, and just a misc area?

DonnaD
04-03-2005, 07:29 PM
has anyone found journalling everything you eat. I've tried and should be because of the diabetes but I hate it. One more thing to do. Seems focus always on food, meds, exercise. But when I'm busy, I don't think about it. But when I think about it, that's all I think about :crazy:
I think I don't like to write it down, because I don't want to lie and it I'm honest, I won't like what I see :lol: the :devil: in me.

well, Ive got to go food shopping. I'll try to buy good stuff, the DH will by crap and we'll end up getting :jeno: for dinner. my biggest weakness.

so are we going to break this into sections for daily menu's, exercise , or just let it all out here. seems like we have a good group going.

halfame, my doc wants so bad for me to do south beach, but i cant get into it. can I PM you with some questions?

gotta run, be back later ladies.

halfame
04-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi Donna...sure PM away. I love talking about the beachy thing.

I've found keeping food journals to be extremely helpful. I always posted my menus every night on my old forum and it was really valuable to get feedback, etc. There's alot of things we just don't see ourselves that some of the "old pro's" can pick out pretty easily.

I haven't really found a place on this board to do the menu posting...the folks don't seem to be using the journals for that I don't I dont to use up their server space just so everyone can see what I'm eating ( hahahah).

curlylocks
04-03-2005, 10:00 PM
I have the exercise... food.. and goal sections completed !!!

lilybutt
04-03-2005, 10:05 PM
I keep track of what I eat on fitday. www.fitday.com I down loaded the $20 version.....but not sure I would do it again...the free online version is just fine!

Lilybutt

curlylocks
04-03-2005, 10:39 PM
chat room is completed!

DonnaD
04-03-2005, 11:13 PM
to make sure someone will be there. The problems with chat rooms is so much of the time they are empty. I think it is so cool what Curlylocks has done. I can't wait to check it out tomorrow.

Fat in Hong Kong
04-04-2005, 12:46 AM
I started my new lifestyle on Friday and so far I haven't written anything down, being a bit lazy I suppose, and also the fact that It can sometimes make me become obsessed with food ... it's in my every thought!! Right now I'm just trying to eat healthily and control my portion sizes, then I'll see how my weigh-in goes next Friday. However, I must confess that any previous success that I've had losing weight has always been when I've written everything down that passes my lips. It's so easy to convince ourselves that we're not overeating. So often I've had what I thought was a pretty good week, only to find that the scale hasn't moved, or worse, it's moved in the wrong direction! The following week I've written everything down and guess what ... I've had a loss. So, it just goes to show that we can fool ourselves but we can't fool the scales!! I'll see how things go for a week or two, but I might have to take my own advice if the scale doesn't start to move. :^:

Nichola

curlylocks
04-04-2005, 06:57 AM
chat times to make sure someone will be there.

well lets get some ideas going on what we really wanna do with this? do we want to schedule times? days?

lol i can chat every evening...i love to ramble! probably after 7 pm now its getting nicer cuz ill be tryin to get my steps in

would one of the ladies who are home during the day like to make up some daytime chat time?

Sugar Cube
04-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I almost couldn't find us again, forgot where we were located. :dizzy:

CL - Thanks for the site for us 40's, it looks good so far, you are the energizer bunny. :)

I didn't feel like going to the gym but I did anyway, now I can feel much better about the week and about myself. Also working towards getting the bikes back on the road. The last of the snow clumps should be gone and the sand cleaned up from the bikepaths, just not looking to wipe out the beginning of the season.

I made dinner for the family last night, pork tenderloin on the grill, brown rice and chinese stir fry veggies. And while this is all healthy stuff, low fat, good fats, high fiber and so on, I just ate too much of it. I need to get back to portion control. I looked at my plate after I served myself, and thought, this is not how the Nurtisystem plate looks.

CURLYLOCKS - Portion control is what it is about for me. I have always been a big breakfast eater, at the minimum like in the summer it is always cereal, milk and fruit, with juice. During the cold weather I always make a hot breakfast. Though DD eats the same cold cereal 7 days a week, for months on end then announces at the store, she wants another cereal. She ate Cocoa Puffs for 2 years. How did the stuffed cabbage go? Have you any brown rice?

Interesting about the blood sugars. I know when I was cruising on Atkins, I didn't get any lightheadedness at all, and didn't have any of the hungry horrors I sometimes get if I don't eat lunch by 2 pm. When I was pregnant it was awful, I would make DH pull into the first food source I saw, no matter what it was. I remember now that the best thing for me would be a hamburger, protein and carbs, put me in shape again, or else a yogurt, the protein and carbs again.

I did break 190 this weekend, I am at 188-189 for three days, I have a really old scale, but at my weight, I just need the big picture. I am so happy about this.

DONNA - Looking forward to a wedding is great fun, though as the mother of the groom, don't know how much fun that can be. Do you get FIT TV? They have a series on Buff Brides, I love it, I watch it whenever I can, I find it inspiring and amusing what people put themselves through. Some of the brides look great when it is done. As for diet plans, there is a survey somewhere here on 3 Chicks or on the web which asks a series of questions to determine which diet plan would suit your needs and lifestyle. I will try to hunt it down as well. As for DD, she is a wholehearted supporter of mine, she says and does what it takes for me to get thinner and healthier as she says and she does put those two things together. I second the journaling on FITDAY.com. It is free. It may be easier and you can get reports for your goals. I use it when I am not using the NS site.

LISA - Welcome to the 40's. PreK teacher, I can barely go with DD's first grade field trips as a parent. I don't know how you all do it. I do much better with the older kids. I live in Cambridge Mass, glad to see another Mass. girl. How about those Red Sox, are they going to break our hearts again???

QUEEN D - I recommend stationary bike riding for you. It sounds like you need to build up your quads, the thigh muscles, which will help a lot with your knees and ankles. I know it may sound odd, but the stronger your quads the easier it is to use stairs and get up out of chairs and such. Similarily with your back and abs, they are so closely related, a tight ab will reduce back pain. Keeping up with everyone gets easier I find once I can find the thread, LOL, and as I get to know people.

BAILY 7 - Breakfast today was oatmeal with raisins, had a cheese stick, a bunch of water, and a cup of decaf so far.

NICHOLA - Swimming is a great exercise, it really does tone you up.

Part of my portion control planning is going to be using my Tupperware more often. I am going to measure out the portions into Tupperware and only eat measured food, no more filling up the plate for me. I am just not that hungry.

LOSTINTX - Planning is the key for me, I do so well on those weeks I have a plan, following the plan is not my problem, just getting to make the plan is.

lostintx
04-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Good Morning everyone! Hope yall had a great weekend. SugarCube... I too have a problem with portion control. This stems from a mother who firmly believed in filling your plate full and then not allowing you to leave the table until your plate was cleaned. My God, when I think back about it now...I was eating HUGE portions as a child!
Your tupperware idea is great! Premeasuring your portion sizes is something I will definately have to do.
I got my groceries bought yesterday and am planning on doing some cooking today. I am so proud of myself for making this first step! I thank all of you here for this too. After reading your posts yall have given me knowledge and the support I desperately need!
I slept in late this morning and my schedule is all off whack. I am going to do my weigh in tomorrow morning and post it and get started.
I have been reading about keeping food journals. I think it would be so helpful.
I think when CL gets our new sanctuary completed we will have a journaling area. Thanks CL!!

curlylocks
04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
how did everyone do over the weekend? i did well no cheating.. but it rained all weekend so not really any exercise... Bailey how are u doing.. im wishing i was home!!! haha

mondays are busy for me at work so .. ill be sneaking in now & then !

BUT i will be in the chat room tonite if any one wnats to pop in! @ 7 ish eastern !!!

Sugar Cube
04-04-2005, 12:03 PM
I also took my first of the month measurements on Saturday, an inch from the bust, waist and hips, and a half inch from my arms. My clothing is feeling better overall. :)

CL - I did well on my food choices over the weekend, I do take off on Sunday afternoons, so I had a bowl of popcorn, with real butter and a diet coke. I know it slows my progress, but the house was empty and I had a couple of hours to just read and relax.

I am getting ready for houseguests next weekend, it is a perfect kick in the rear to get the computer/sewing room straightened up. It is also going to be the temporary nursery, so I have to fit the crib in there as well. The project is a lot of up and down the stairs to store more things in the basement.

nebula
04-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Hello All,
This is my first post ever as i am a total newbie on this site. It was wonderful to fall upon this thread for those in their Fabulous Forties! Sometimes I forget what it is to be my age....maybe you guys can help me figure that one out.
I have been lucky in that i was able to lose weight far easier than i had ever imagined possible, because before i began my most recent descent into the world of regular retail sizes i had all but given up on ever being able to lose an ounce, or to stop gaining for that matter. But then...(audible sigh)..i met the love of my life. For Her i felt i could do better and be better, even though she loved me as much at 280lbs as she does now that i am 140. I am still struggling with my food demons even as i have lost all the weight i need to....but maybe not all i want to...that in itself is another story. Anyways, i am glad to be here, and am looking forward to becoming familiar with other 40's threadies. Until next time...

rightway
04-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm looking for a recipe that I read on-line and now I can't find it. Has anybody seen the one for turkey bacon wrapped ground beef/sirloin patty? I can cook if I have a recipe to follow, not sure if I can just shape a patty and wrap with bacon?

This weekend was my 1st SB weekend. Saturday I think I ate every possible approved snack I could, I couldn't stop eating. It was a mind thing, I wasn't really hungry, by Sunday I was over it. We went to the movies and this was the 1st time ever that I didn't have candy at a movie, and I got through it just fine. I brought my own snack - lightly salted peanuts and it got me over the mental thing.

curlylocks
04-04-2005, 12:43 PM
..i met the love of my life. ..awwwwwwwwwwwww BIG SIGH Im still looking for mine........ but thats so romantic!!!

curlylocks
04-04-2005, 12:50 PM
What's everyone eating today? :) so far .. i had a bowl of cereal for breakfast... a bananna on the run .. a big salad for lunch... and i am looking forward to some more stuffed cabbage for dinner!!

i buy 3 or 4 kinds of cereal and mix them all together lol speciall k with red berries, raisin bran, grapenuts, kashi go lean, umm something with peaches and almonds cant remember the name of it .. hahaha

p.s. still didnt get my scale! dang it!

clubhouse (http://40somethings.bravehost.com/index.html)

Tulip-Fairy
04-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi
Can I join in? I hit the big 4-0 last September and love it!! :cheer: Although i am very close to my goal weight i can definatly be supportive of others at the other end of their goals, coz i've been there!! :grouphug:

The year before this i found myself over weight, literally got my holiday photos back and was looking like i was zooming towards a mega middle age spread. :yikes: I had a double chin, knees that ached when i walked and that comfortable look of someone who was happy with life....hhhmmmmmm I had never had a weight problem before, and was determined not to be fat and 40, so i signed up with 3 fat chicks and started the Atkins WOE (I'm wheat intolerant - so it was perfect!) Now i'm not saying it was easy, and the excersice still doesn't come easy but....it has defiantly been worth it, i'm sooo close to my goal weight (but just can't seem to get there - yet!!) :goodscale I feel better now than i have for years...no menopausal symptoms, fashhionable clothes i want to wear, and i can still play around with kids and dogs like i did in my 20's!

I found this thread by chance and have had a good read through it, and would like to give you my two pennies worth (pennys rather than cents as i'm in the UK!). I was given support through one of these threads (Scales Addict Anon) when i started losing weight and i found it invaluble to come in here and 'own up' to what i'd eaten every day, it definatly stopped me picking if i knew that i'd have to tell everyone, and the smug feeling i got when i could truthfully say that I'd eaten well all day was worth it. :eating2: So maybe that would be a good idea... a sin bin to be thrown in if we're naughty :rofl:
My advise on exersice would be to walk...if oyu've all got dogs, that 's the best type you can get, and the dog loves you for it...I've only got a little yorkshire terrier but a 30 minute walk 7 days a week is brillaint that's 3.5hours a week. I have started to wear a pedometer and it's amazing to see how many step you actually do, and how much more you are encouraged to do when you check it throughout the day....if your aim is 10,000 steps, you really push yourself to try to reach it, it's like someone constantly tapping you on the shoulder telling you to walk a bit further,not to take the lift etc. The best investment i've made, better that the years of wasted gym membership!! :lol:

Well that's enough of my ramblings for one day...hope to catch up with you all again tomorrow

tulip

barbie40
04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi
I found you guys and would love to be in your 40 somethings club. Thanks for the invte. I turn the big 40 on Wednesday. That is also my weigh in day of my TOPS group. I was the leader now I am weight recorder. I follow the ww points, I find this the most successful for me.
I know what to do I just need to apply it. I have decided that this year is my yeaar of change, 40 is going to be great and the year I lose and keep off this weight.
It is raininf here so no walk outside today, I guess I will have to do a tape. Better get busy with that. catch you later

Sugar Cube
04-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Welcome to Barbie and Tulip. I have to agree with the walking advice, it is fast, easy and cheap. Most of all it works. I live in the city and I save so much time walking, don't have to find a place to park.

Last time I lost weight, I am fortunate, this is my second time around though much much slower, I used Weight Watchers for my maintenance. I kept the weight off for a real long time until I dropped all my good habits.

Enjoy your tape if it's raining.

bailey7
04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
;) Hi everyone!! I can't join in the fun till Wed. as hubby's off for 2 days and I have to spend time with him :o but I'll be back on Wed. morning. I didn't have breakfast today but had an Arbie's roast beef sand. and some curly fries while we were out shopping. For dinner I'll just have some vegies and a little pasta. No exercise today, it's my one day off but will do it again tomorrow. I weighed in at 183 this morning which is down 3 lbs. since last Mon. and I feel psyched!!! Anyways, this place looks like it's really happening now, Hi to all the newbies, it sounds like everyone is committed and like I said I'll be back soon to catch up. Everyone, be good! :D

P.S. Boy I'm gonna miss this :)

curlylocks
04-04-2005, 04:08 PM
WOW 3 lbs way to go!!!!!!! see u wednesday!!!! enjoy ur snuggle time!

Queenofdenial
04-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Sugar Cube..thanks for the advice on stationary biking.. I happen to have one of those as well, I might give it a go this time around!

I feel awfully depressed, I weighed in today just to see and it showed my up 3 lbs since really really trying to log my WW info and stay within my points. My WI day is Wed, so perhaps it will go down a bit if I can make a good poop.. :dizzy:

curlylocks
04-04-2005, 04:52 PM
ummm greens? spinach, kale..

LisaBee
04-04-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm back! Busy weekend and sick kids! bleh!!! Now I am starting a head cold too.

Welcome to all the new newbies!! I love that this group is building and talking!! I was on other threads where no one posted and I was getting discouraged until I found this group.

Sugar Cube: Hey Liza!! Yep, am on the South Shore in Bridgewater. I do like working with these little pre-kers. They come out with funny stuff!!
Let's hope the sox give em all a run for their money again this year. I am looking forward to opening day for the Paw Sox at the end of the month. (only baseball we can afford these days! LOL!)
I am on South Beach too but having a time shedding the lbs. I'm down 10 now and that took 4 weeks. I think I need to write out a menu and follow it to a tee! I think I ate to many nuts daily or too much of something!

Ok time to get my daughter off to her support group for bereaved children...it will be sad when it ends in May as she has made some good bonds.

Lisa

curlylocks
04-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Our little web home is pretty much complete... I would like everyone to let me know if they have some ideas of things to add.. its no trouble I tried to incorporate everything i saw mentioned...

One thing i am wondering do we want to put a password on an entry page?

OUR little web home (http://40somethings.bravehost.com/index.html)

lostintx
04-04-2005, 09:45 PM
I would'nt password it yet. Wait until everyone gets there and then if we start having any problems then think about it.
Thanks again for the nice chat!
Everyone need to go check it out! CL has done alot of work to give us a nice place to post and chat!

Sugar Cube
04-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Weighed in at 188 so I am really happy with that, I do need to be more careful with water to keep that going. :)

The alarm volume is turned down on my alarm clock, so I overslept, guess I needed it, and have to rely on my pedometer to encourage me towards 10,000 steps. I am at 914 steps with driving to work. I plan a lot of walking at lunch.

QUEEN of D - Getting started in a new way of eating does take some time, especially with complications. Maybe you should just take it easy, focus on one thing and do that one thing really well. For me, usually the water is easy, though lately I have to become more focused on it. Then move onto the portion control, make a committement to only eat what you know the point value for, even if it goes over the points allotted for a day, write it down. Just because you don't doesn't mean you didn't eat it, But most of all don't beat yourself up, it doesn't burn calories. ;)

LISA B - Oh yes, the sick house syndrome, sounds awful. We love the PawSoxs too, it is so kid friendly, DD can take about 7 innings at this point and she loves to play around with the other kids at the games when she gets bored, it really is a fun day out for us. It seems that 10 pounds in 4 weeks is really good, more than 2 a week. Anyway, you can find another group for DD, I didn't realize that your lose was so recent?

We are up to 86 posts plus on 3FC, how many to a page, I have good internet connections so it isn't a problem for me. We may want to consider going to another thread, either by the week or # of posts.

Long day today, I have packed my food, I don't expect to be home before 11 pm tonight, then again tomorrow, two meetings back to back, luckily my SIL will take DD with her to my neices's soccer game, then her son and DD can play which actually works out for my SIL. By Thursday I may be fried, but I have company for the weekend and still haven't come up with the menu for the party, expecting about 25 so I guess I should give this a think.

Off to start my day.

rightway
04-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have lost 5 pounds as of this morning. I'm sure it's water weight - but I don't care what kind of weight it is, I don't have those 5 lbs anymore. I'm wondering how many pounds ya'll lost before you felt it in your clothes?

Another question, how do show my weight loss in my signature? I went to edit signature but didn't see anything where I could change the pounds so I just did a new one.

rightway
04-05-2005, 10:34 AM
And my new signature didn't work. I hope I'm not too old to learn new stuff on the PC. If I had kids I could ask them but since I don't, I'm at your mercy. :)

Sugar Cube
04-05-2005, 01:27 PM
RIGHTWAY - congrats on 5 pounds, whatever it is you aren't carrying it around anymore. I think I read that 10-15 pounds is a clothing size, that is exciting, you are well on your way. I think that realistically it depends where you lose it from first. For me, my face gets thinner, so I guess I need less foundation. While you are in the code, move the curser along the long gobblygook until you find the numbers, then just retype the numbers you want and you won't have to redo the code unless you want to change with the seasons or holidays. Also remember to take out the old code, and then scroll down to the bottom to the submit signature.

I have had lunch and was really hungry when I started but feel much better now. Black beans and rice over salad. It was great, I threw on some cheese for some protein and calcium.

Pedomoter update: 6,055 steps so far today.

barbie40
04-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi there I am 40 tomorrow and would love to join in just let me know how to the Join part because I just found this site last week and am loving it!! I do ww points at home and also am a TOPS member. I have 2 gilrs 8 and 10 and trying to teach them good eating habits. Tough job woth a dad whom loves junk food but I will do the best I can!!

curlylocks
04-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I still havent made it to the store for my scale yet lmao...

curlylocks
04-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi barbie just jump in!

we also have a website with a chat room and other areas if u would like to take a peep we have been meeting up and chating @ 7 ish in the evening... and I have asked bailey to see what time would be good for her during the daytime..
40 somethings site (http://40somethings.bravehost.com/index.html)

sanheart
04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm so afraid I'm going to lose this thread and never find this again. I've had such trouble with the signatures and all. The website is great!!! I'm afraid to download the chat room at work. Maybe from at home. :cb: You guys are great and great encouragement! Trying weight watchers. My husband lost over 50lbs and is almost at goal & my daughter who is 16 has lost close to 40. I guess it really works. I'll have to get serious & log my food, that's the problem. :balloons:

rightway
04-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Thank you Sugarcube! I think I got it. Wow, 5-10 more lbs and I might be down a size. Guess I'll go to gym and ride the bike. Yuck. I do water aerobics, easier on my knees, but the pool is closed for a week for repairs. In the 3 years I've been a member of this gym I haven't used any of the equipment. It seems too hard and I don't see many heavy gals on the equipment, mostly slim ones. I'll suck it up and go because I can't wait to get down a size! Thanks again.

Sugar Cube
04-05-2005, 06:09 PM
RIGHTWAY - Your smiling face looks good to me.

DonnaD
04-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi everybody,

so glad to see our group growing. Today wasn't a good day. Didn't make it to the gym and eating was bad. New day tomorrow.

I hope I can meet up with you some time in the chat room. Most days at 7pm at the gym, but I will try when I get back.

Great job on the site CL! :high: :cp: :bravo:

Fat in Hong Kong
04-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

The week seems to be going ok so far, although I still haven't been writing anything down ... I really should start to do this because I know it will help me.

Not sure if I'll be able to catch up with anyone in the chat room due to the time differences between Hong Kong and the States ... not sure what the differences are ... possibly you'll all be tucked up in bed when it's daytime here and vice versa??? ... I'll have to look into it ........

Can't believe how popular this thread has been so far ... hope it stays this way! :)

Nichola

Tulip-Fairy
04-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi everyone,
today is a good day, eating well, scales like me, and for once it isn't raining outside so looks like i will be able to fit in a walk with the pooch this afternoon.

F-in-HK - don't think I'll be able to catch the chat room either, I'm in the Uk, I'll hve to work out the time differences between us all, maybe some of us can get together??

I had a bit of a nasty bang at work last night..I walked into a stationary advertising stand....oooohhhh my back is very badly bruised.......at my age i find i don't bounce back as quick as i used to!!!

I've jsut checked out the web site...it looks great!!!

curlylocks
04-06-2005, 10:38 AM
ok lets try this each person post a time that would be good for them.. and lets see what the times are ...

and then the others can pop in at that time when they are able? :o

rightway
04-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Here are some time zones that might help, this is during Daylight Saving Time so it's good through last Sunday in Oct.

Pacific 8:00am / Mountain 9:00am / Central 10:00am / Eastern 11:00am / UK 4:00pm / Hong Kong 11:00pm

Hope this helps and have great day!

rightway
04-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi there I am 40 tomorrow and would love to join in just let me know how to the Join part because I just found this site last week and am loving it!! I do ww points at home and also am a TOPS member. I have 2 gilrs 8 and 10 and trying to teach them good eating habits. Tough job woth a dad whom loves junk food but I will do the best I can!!

Have a great day today!

bailey7
04-06-2005, 12:11 PM
:) I've been sitting here reading all the posts from day 1 to get a handle on everyone but now they've just melted together cuz we have so many people now :D I'm going to go to the new board now to see what's happening over there. Breakfast was bran flakes and a banana with skim and I've done my 1st 20 min. on the elliptical so far. I don't know about lunch yet but dinner will be cajun chicken and cold shrimp :D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY barbie 40, hope you have a good one :D

And to everyone else, you guys are doin' great, keep up the good work!! :D

Sugar Cube
04-06-2005, 01:26 PM
I have to do a flyby. I was at work until midnight last night and up at 6 am. Working straight through tonight to 10 pm. But then it is just regular time to the weekend, yeah.

It has done a number on my eating. We serve cookies at the meetings and I really have been chowing on those for some reason. I just have to show some restraint. :dunno:

I did finish the day with 14,770 steps on the pedometer, not too bad. So far today, I am at 4,200.

RE: Chatting on line is tricky for me, I get home and between homework and getting ready for the next and a husband who loves to cruise through ebay and whatnot, I just don't get on line. I hope you all can get a time to meet. :gossip:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Barbie 40 :hb::hat::gift:

A beautiful sunny day today. And the weekend looks good too.

curlylocks
04-06-2005, 04:46 PM
shrimp yummmy!!! I am starving!!! i ended up with no dinner last nite due to an emergency with my kitty Myah..
i had to rush her to the vet.. today at lunch i was searching thru my house becuz the vet says her mouth looks like it was burned by something caustic... which i have been unable to find anything she could have gotten into.. Our next idea is that while in the closet she may have gotten a jolt from the fuse box .. so no lunch.. i had only 30 min

Now i am ravenous.. I am off tomorrow i get to bring her home, but she will have to be fed by syringe for a while until her mouth heals..

:(

Hotcupojava
04-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I took about an hour out of my afternoon and read all the threads up until this one. Sounds like a great group of gals. I was hoping to be the youngest, (turned 40 in Oct) but Barbie40 and Tulip-Fairy beat me :( . Is there a new thread? Or is the one I join, if I may join? Thanks for that chat room and site, Curlylocks, I'm going to check that out too.

Like I said, I turned 40 in October. My name is Mary, but most call me Turtle. I'm divorced and have a steady (not living-in) boyfriend, two cats and three turtles. I had gastric by-pass in 1999 and lost about 95-100 pounds. It was not what I expected and although it's a touchy subject with me, I have to live with what's left. And that's the fact that I'm still over one hundred pounds over weight and have NO food restrictions from that surgery. I'm very lucky health wise and I count my blessings daily for my physical mobility AND my great new job. I'm a police dispatcher. And although I've been a police dispatcher for over thirteen years, I only have about one year in at this new position. It's a great job. I just need to shed this weight to find an even greater level of comfort.

I hope it's okay to just jump in. :lol:

Oh and I just joined TOPS this week. Not sure what diet I'll be using, but I've always liked WW's POINTS.

bailey7
04-06-2005, 05:58 PM
:( Sorry to hear about Myah, curlylocks! :sorry: Will she be okay after a couple of days? I lost my cat, Bailey, (hence my name) in October 2004, she had feline diabetes and finally after 24 hrs. she gave up her fight and went to sleep very peacefully. I miss her so much!!! I don't think I'm going to get another pet tho', I don't think I could go through that again. So, I'm really hoping Myah is getting better. What do you think of those vet bills? I was at the new board today and it looks good, you've done a great job and I thankyou again. For some reason I got light-headed today and kinda felt sick so I didn't do the rest of my exercising but at least I got some in :D Had a 1/2 cup light cottage-cheese and some brocolli and cauliflower for lunch. We buy these kg bags of large shrimp when they're on sale (currently have 5 in freezer) so then I just run them under cold water and serve with cocktail sauce for a side dish instead of fattening stuff. A little long winded here but I got to go now, see everyone tomorrow. Have a great evening!!! :D

curlylocks
04-07-2005, 07:58 AM
o dont even mention the bill .. i dont want to think about that, i am on a VERY limited income.. i am home today becuz they said i can bring her home, the challenge now will be to get her to eat, shes burned the inside of her mouth pretty bad.

i dug out an old scale that i have .. it says ive lost nothing this week grrrrr! but i dont tthink its working right...

LisaBee
04-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Good morning!
I stepped on the scale and have disposed of another pound :)

Kids have 1/2 day today so my two youngest will be coming to my school to particpate in "Jump Rope For Heart" the money will be donated in memory of my husband and of the husband of another teacher. Her husband died 2 weeks to the day before mine. The kids are so excited about doing this too.

LIZA We just hit our 3rd anniversary of his death in Jan. My children were 10 8 and 6 at the time. We take it a day at a time with tears mingled in between.

Time to get my rear and gear and get out the door.

Lisa

curlylocks
04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
hi hotcupojava!
welcome .. yep just jump right in!! nice to have u join us!

Hotcupojava
04-07-2005, 11:49 AM
:wave: I was worried for a minute that no one saw me sneak in. Don't ya hate when you pour your heart out in a thread and no one ever talks to you? That has happened to me before. I tried several different threads at an entirely different weight loss site (shhh I won't mention the name), and no one would EVER talk to me. I thought it was just me. Hmmm. But I feel right at home at 3FC. And now here too. Thanks! LOL. I'm glad to hear I can jump right in. You all sound like a great group. Even if I'm NOT the youngest one here. ;)

I'm recovering from a nasty cold I caught right after Easter and was finally able to make myself walk for ten minutes (set my timer like Flylady says) on my "dreadmill" doing a slow walk. It was the first exercise I've done since I got sick and since I joined TOPS. It wasn't a full on work out, but it's a start.

I hope everyone has a great day. I work afternoons and I spend the better part of my time on line, reading and commenting in journals and threads right here at 3FC. Hope to see and hear from you all, later.

curlylocks
04-07-2005, 12:12 PM
not to fear... im usually yak yak yaking on here but after the lil mishap at my house, with my kitty i have been offline (dial up) cuz i had to wait for the vet to call... BUT shes comming home today!!!

How close are u to Winchester va? i have lots of family there..

Hotcupojava
04-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Glad to hear the kitty is coming home. I lost two of my kitties last Fall (to age and sickness). I was down to one. Elvis, my senior citizen cat. He's 18. But someone dumped off a gorgeous grey girl kitty. I tried to find her owner, and then a suitable home for her. But it looks like I'm keeping her. I named her Squeak. I'd still like to find a home for her, but alas, she may be mine.

If you look at the outline of the state of West Virginia, there's only one edge that's straight. I'm in that straight part. I'm much closer to PA and MD than I am to VA. Some say the outline of WV looks like a frog jumping down a mountain. If that's true, then I'm uhhh the frog's butt! LOL.

Have a great day and kiss that little kitty for me. Welcome home furbaby!

Sugar Cube
04-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Finishing up today at the office and then have to plan the party at my house this weekend. I need everything. Poor DH had no lunch today, because I didn't have any bread. I am sure he survived, but we are down to the bare bones. :dizzy:

CURLYLOCKS - Poor kitty, sounds awful. Feeding her by syringe is going to work if she is hungry enough. I hope she gets better very quickly. :(

Yesterday's pedometer was only 7,400 since I mostly walked from one meeting to another. I didn't get to really walk but then I didn't get to eat either. Still trying to avoid cookies that everyone has at these meetings. Maybe it is a Spring thing, cookies and spring. I found my steps per mile note: 10,000 steps is approximately 5.25 miles. That really got my attention.

Welcome HOTJAVA - WW points system are really good, though I just can't go to another meeting, see above and I did the best when I went to the meetings. There are WW meetings at work, but I am just not feeling warm and fuzzy about the coworkers who run it. I love the name Dreadmill, though I do like the treadmill at the gym, I mix it up between the eliptical, the treadmill and rowing machine. Elvis and Squeak, cute names.

BAILEY - Your shrimp idea sounds good, I have a bag in the freezer most of the time too, very quick and simple.

LISA - Congrats on losing a pound, good progress in the right direction. I didn't realize your loss was so recent. I like the rope skipping idea. We are very active in a community foundation which works with programs to keep kids in school and getting them resources that aren't available from existing groups. It is the sort of thing he was interested in, like science scholarships and awards for brightness and effort.

Got a letter from the school health department to have DD's eyes tested, I don't think anything is wrong with them but I can't see anything so anything would be better than me. So I took the appointment for the end of May, this just isn't an emergency, especially since she got her bang cut, so that may have been the problem before.

Treated myself to Korean food for lunch, I know it is because I am way down on sleep. Got home from all my meetings last night about 9:45 so tonight I hope to get some down time, no questions, no decisions to make and just chill.

Not optimistic about a loss, so far this week only one day at the gym and I need four to make some serious progress.

bailey7
04-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Hello fellow losers! :) This place is really growing by leaps and bounds which is really a great motivator for me. Curlylocks, is she home yet? LisaBee, great on the lb., doesn't it make you feel great :) Welcome Hotcupofjava, this place is great. I know what you mean about other boards as I had the same experience, post a thread and be totally ignored or ask a question and get answers to everything but what you asked or get your thread hijacked, jeez!!! But not here :D Anyways it was laundry day today and I live in an apartment which means full makeup and everything so I held off on exercise until now. I've done my 1st 20 min. on the elliptical and this is my break before I go for my next set. Breakfast was bran flakes and banana and skim, lunch was a cup of brocolli and a cup of cauliflower and snack will be an orange. Dinner is chicken taco's for hubby and since I make them with breasts, I'll have lettuce and tomato and chicken, no cheese or taco's. I've done this before and it's very good. Hope everyone has a good evening! Am I missing anything in the chat room? :D

FrouFrou
04-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi ladies and Happy Thursday!

Sorry I have been MIA for a while, and now too much going on to try and catch up with individuals.

Curly~the site is awesome! You've done a great job with it. Now to remember to go to it!

Mary~WELCOME! I've had that happen before too! (no one talking to me) I feel pretty comfortable here also. My sis's friend had the surgery also and has nothing but problems since. She did lose a lot of weight but now she has a ton of medical problems because they guy who did it screwed up. And to top it off, now she has cancer. Even though she was big, she said she does regret ever having it done.

Lisa~WTG on the loss! :bravo:

Hi to everyone I missed :wave:

Doing good with the eating today. Don't normally skip breakfast but did this morning and even ate less for lunch so that was good. Normally if I skip a meal I am starving and tend to overeat. Even got a mile walk in so overall today has been a good day so far.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day! See ya later! :)

Marie
04-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Hi everyone, I'd like to join you all. I spent the last hour or so reading the posts from day one. I feel like I know you all. I'm 43, married and the mother of two boys, 18 and 19. I have been overweight all of my life and have yo-yo'ed from 225 to 133 and now back to 199. Last year I was at 207 and I lost 18 pounds, only to regain 10 of them in February and March. So I'm back on track and want a place to share - this thread looks like the place. I have no one around me that shares the same 40ish problems/concerns that I have. My friends at work are all younger than me and I'm a little out of their loop.

I understand the statements about being ignored. I've been there too. I look forward to responses and responding to people and if it isn't there, it's harder. I think because I'm fat, I take it personally, that I'm not worth their time. Stupid, huh? But that's the initial reaction I have. I'm trying to lose that.

CL, I hope kitty is okay. I'm a dog person myself (I have 3 large dogs) and I love my dogs to pieces. I bet you feel that way about your kitty. They become part of you and if they hurt, you hurt.

I count calories - loosely since when I'm at my goal of 135, I would try to eat like a normal person and so that's what I'm trying now. It's very slow, but I'm seeing progress. I have a Gazelle and I do that 3X a week and make a goal of being active the other days. Things like hiking, lifting, cleaning, etc. I really need to bump the Gazelle to 4X per week, but that's just not been happening. Time restraints or motivation gets me every time.

Thanks for this thread and now I'll go check out the new site.
Marie

LisaBee
04-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Liza: How'd your party go? What kind of party was it?

Welcome Hotcubofjava: This so far is a pretty active group and one I hope you feel you fit into :) When I saw the words "I have a Gazelle" my mind for a split second thought...wow now thats a cool animal to own! haha

MARIE: Welcome to you also! Glad to see more new 'faces' joining this support thread!!

It is now 8 and none of us have eaten as my kids came home at noon (the elementary school and my private school had a 1/2 day....I had a full day since I teach PreK) They snacked all day long!! So now I have to figure out what to feed us all as none of us are very hungry.... my snack was 2 rolled up pieces of turkey and a cup of tea...feel like I already had dinner.

Lisa

DonnaD
04-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi everybody :wave:

Hotjava, I think we've all experienced that lack of response. It isn't a very nice feeling.
I contemplated the WLS(by-pass) My doc(who isn't a surgeon) really thought I should. The extra weight is keeping my diabetes to a pt of no control. Diet and meds don't help and then I get depressed and self distructive and eat horribly. I'm just not comfortable with the surgery. But it would probably help the diabetes blood sugars get under control, but at what cost?
Good luck with TOPS. I think it's a great program. Unfortunately the chapter near me is a group of very elderly very sweet ladies from a small town nearby. It would probably be better if the group was a little more age appropriate.

Curlylocks, it's always sad when a pet is not feeling well. I hope she recoops quickly and comfortably. I've lost several cats over the last 30 odd yrs. It really hurts. I've also lost 3 dogs to illness and 1 to age. Went 3 yrs without a dog and my oldest and youngest sons(21 & 27) bought me a scottie for xmas. He's so sweet and cute. But I worry about him getting sick. He's like a baby. Never get a perimenapausal(sp?) woman a puppy :lol:

Bailey, how does one get by on cottage cheese and veggies. I would feel very unsatisfied. You must have such control. When I don't feel satisfied, I find myself picking later in the day.

Lisa, congrats on the 1 lb :cp: "a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"

Hi Liza, Cristi, Mary and everyone. I've rambled enough. Just wanted to check in. When I'm not doing well I have a tendency to stay away from the boards.But this is such a nice supportive group. I'm really trying to stick with it.

Have a great friday everyone :grouphug:
Donna
s

lilybutt
04-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Hello all!!!!

I have been around, but just SWAMPED at work! My first week back after spring break and I have been on the run! It will probably be that way until the end of the month….it keeps me going I suppose!

Today I was soooooooo hungry by 10 am, I cold hardly stand myself…..I made one more stop and headed to Culvers for a salad at 10:45…took it to work and scarfed it down by 11:20. Got through the rest of the day okay……came home and went for an hour walk before I made dinner……added up my calories for the day and decided to just have a small hamburger with a slice of low cal cheese on low cal bread……well that did not last…..LOLOLOLOL….oh well, I had a diet Mt. Dew and a pkt of 100 cal Ritz Snack Mix….then later had a 100 cal bad of kettle corn…..Oh ya……then time of the month started today….I am sure that is why I am hungry and craving carbs but I BELIEVE I can make it through the night now considering I will be in bed in an hour.

I also have been brewing some ice tea in my ice tea maker….trying to do that instead of the diet pop…..I have a TERRIBLE caffeine habit…..1/2 a pot of coffee in the morning then hitting the diet pop by 10 am….usually 2-3 20 oz bottles a day….at least……so thought the ice tea would be a change……I will get decaf…..using regular now because that is all that is in the house! One thing at a time!!!!

Curlylocks...hope kitty is well...I have two myself....little monsters that make my day!

Well another week almost done!!! Looking forward to some relax time!!!
Lilybutt

curlylocks
04-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi guys!!

Yes i have an entire house full of critters.. lol 3 cats and 1 very bad german spitz.. i cant think of a time when i havent had some type of pet.. It hurts so bad when u lose one that u swear u wont do it again.. I did go 3 yrs w/o a dog.. when my lab Kandi passed away it broke my heart ..

Myah is happy to be home! thank u all for your get well wishes!

Guess what i got yesterday ??? A scale!!!! yeahhhhhh!!!!!

and i treated myself to a nice one.. a digital one from healthometer that tracks your weight and u can enter your goal

and a very nice surprise... my old scale was messed up and i have lost 3 lbs!!!

and its FRIDAY!!! woo hoo!

LisaBee
04-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Gooooo!! Curly Locks!!
Glad to hear you kitty is home to recoup.
I have a house full of pets too.... Libby, a bichon frise, Willow, a yellow lab, Little Bear and Valentine black bear hamsters, Jellybean, a guineapig (who lives at school right now), Sadie, a holland lop earred rabbit and Bob the fish.

Got up this morning and tried on some jeans and viola! I can button them...although they fell a little snug around the waist....but I'm wearing them today!!

Lisa

Sugar Cube
04-08-2005, 09:41 AM
BAILEY7 - Sounds like you have a good plan. I like the whole dressing for laundry dilema, I hang my clothes in the back yard, so I have to at least put something on, often I am in my nightgown with my raincoat, which is funny to me as I wouldn't be hanging clothes if it were going to rain.

Hanging out at 188, and a very funny thing is happening. I am feeling the urge to get back on my lowcarb Atkins way of life. I am not sure about why, but I want a steak or grilled fish or something and some brocoli with cheese sauce. I don't really have time to think about this, I have a housefull this weekend, but it is kind of funny.

MMARIE - Welcome to the group and happy to have you here, I just want to say, stay away from the 2 land. I know that was my trigger this last time, I got to 196 and said I had to take control again.

LISABEE - Isn't it nice to be wearing all those clothes in the closet! The party is this weekend, it is for some friends who are coming up from Maryland for a wedding, and they are staying with us, she is my very best friend in the world and I have had trouble ever since they moved away. They have a year old and so many of their friends here haven't met her and I figure it is easier to have everyone over to our house and socialize with old coworkers and neighbors and stuff than for them to have to travel around and try to see everyone plus go to the wedding in one weekend. I did get the menu set, grilled sausages and jerked chicken, a pasta and sundried tomato salad, black eye pea and pineapple salad, black beans and rice, two cakes one for the kids and one for the adults, a Pina Colada cake, I have to have a slice of that. and then some odds and ends. It is supposed to be good weather so I plan to have as many people out in our little bitty yard to relieve the pressure on our little bitty house.

DONNA - "When I'm not doing well I have a tendency to stay away from the boards." This is the time you need to get online and check in and get recharged, you need us - we need you, so don't stay away if you are having a tough day, get on track, get on the treadmill and then log in.

LILLYBUTT - Oh those hungry horrors, and when at the office, it is just not possible to get up and walk them off.

CURLYLOCKS - Can we start a new thread soon? Over 100 posts is really long. How nice to have lost 3 pounds with the old scale. Way to go. Glad to hear Myah is home, how is the syringe feeding going?

Off to finish off the morning, Fridays are half days for us, so I can get the shopping done for tomorrow on my own, and maybe some cleaning up before picking up DD. I probably won't be online this weekend but will be trying to stay on program.

rightway
04-08-2005, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=bailey7Had a 1/2 cup light cottage-cheese and some brocolli and cauliflower for lunch. :D[/QUOTE]

Hi Bailey7,

I just ended my 1st week on SB and have had great success, but I'm wondering if your cottage cheese and veg. are a normal meal for you? If I want to loose weight in Phase II is that what I'll have to do? I know that won't be enough for me, I eat tons of food, and I can't believe I'm losing with all the stuff I'm eating.

bailey7
04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi Bailey7,

I just ended my 1st week on SB and have had great success, but I'm wondering if your cottage cheese and veg. are a normal meal for you? If I want to loose weight in Phase II is that what I'll have to do? I know that won't be enough for me, I eat tons of food, and I can't believe I'm losing with all the stuff I'm eating.

:) Hey rightway! I'm not on any specific diet except that for me this is working. I really think you guys should try this, it's very satisfying. :dizzy: I know it doesn't sound like a lot but it fills me up and if you're still hungry you can have a salad or fruit. By no means am I a vegetarian or want to be, I'm really a meat and potato girl :lol: but I really want to be slim this year for the beach. Last year, I was 204 and very uncomfortable. So, I guess you could say ,I'm on a mission :D

Marie
04-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome. Donna, I know how you feel about staying away from the boards when you're not doing good. It's hard to talk diet when your eating like crazy. Lisabee, congrats on the jeans. I swear losing weight is like getting a whole new wardrobe. Bailey, good luck on the mission. Rightway, if you're losing on SB and eating all their foods, then you must be doing it right. Enjoy yourself. CL, I'm glad kitty is home. I hate when my pets have to stay the at he vets and be in a cage. I feel so bad for them.

The scale still won't budge but I'm like Bailey - I'm on a mission - very determined so I will keep drinking the water, eating around 1400 - 1500 calories, and exercising. Yesterday I cut caffeine out and I can tell today. I'm sleepy and have a headache. I think it will be best though so I'm sticking to it.

I'm glad it's Friday and that I have Sat. Sun. and Mon. off. Work is slow and it's not healping the tiredness. Talk with you all later.
Marie

curlylocks
04-08-2005, 12:42 PM
See ~*~40 Something's *~ #2

bailey7
04-08-2005, 12:48 PM
:) Yes, drinking lot's of water is what really sustains me, I drink a ton of it!!
Here's something that I whip up alot and it's very tasty. You could probably use more pasta but I prefer more veggies. I take about 20-25 strands of spegettini and cook it al dente, then throw in roasted red peppers and brocolli
flowerettes, make a reduction of chicken broth and add parmasan(just a little)
and toss everything together and if I'm in the mood, I'll put in 4-5 pieces of imation crabmeat or lobster. Yummy! It's very flavorable and pretty too :lol:

Hotcupojava
04-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Holy moley, I somehow forgot about you all! I must not have subcribed right or something. I knew "something" was missing in my threads. I feel bad for jumping in and then abandoning you. I hope it's okay. I'm still here (at work) and I'm still feeling pretty UP. I lost 6 3/4 at TOPS and I managed to get my turtle butt on my dreadmill. It doesn't have a motor and it's harder than you think. Just 1/2 a mile makes me sweat. A mile kicks my butt, but that's the point, right? Hope you all have a great Friday and a WONDERFUL week end! :D

InvisibleGirl
04-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi, I am 41 and I'd like to join the group. I've been at this weight loss thing since January and I've lost 32 lbs, but lately it seems to be coming off slower and slower. It took me so long to get under 200, and now I feel like I've been in the 190's forever.
I joined a gym and I am trying to do 3 step aerobic classes a week, last night I did step plus a 20 min ab toning class - ouch! You still can't even see my abs. I keep telling myself that by the time I manage to work off all this flab I will be all muscles underneath.

LisaBee and Liza, I am from the South Shore too, I grew up in Randolph which was nice when I lived there but is not so nice anymore. I lived in Hingham too for a while, but now I am living in Kansas. I really miss home.

I have a lab mix named Lara, a cat neamed gracie, a cockatiel named peaches who never shuts up, and a little girl named Maya who is 8 going on 18, smart, precocious and the light of my life. I am raising her alone. She is very proud of how hard I am working and she tells me all the time how great I look. She rocks!

Reality hit for me when people start asking if I was Maya's grandmother. Then one night I was out with my best friend, who is age 41 and also overweight, and some inconsiderate loser asked if I was her mother. I cried for a a while about that but I really look so much older with all this weight. So I am doing it.

Here is some comic relief for you all: I was standing in front of the mirror the other day complaining to my daughter about how my boobs are hanging pretty low. She says "That's cause you don't have your tummy to hold them up any more." Out of the Mouth of Babes, right?
Sally

Sugar Cube
04-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Tough weekend, though started ok. My allergies are really bad so I am having a pity party complete with the red eyes and sniffles.

HOTCUP - Do you have a Nordic Track treadmill, my mom does and it really was so much work for her, she gave it to my sister, though the grandchildren loved it when they were at her house. Good for you getting up and on it though.

SALLY - I think I must have abs, though you couldn't find them by looking at me. LOL. Welcome to the group. Kansas is so far from water for me. I just need to be near the shore for some reason, I know it is just habit. It is true, weight can really add years to your looks, your 8 YO and my 6 YO sound similiar, very supportive and very "mature".

I have a long workday today, but don' t feel badly, I had Patriot's Day, remember that one Sally, off yesterday. I didn't even watch the Boston Marathon. We went up to the North Shore to Kelly's Roast Beef, walked the beach and I got some relief from the allergies.

I am on track foodwise today, brought all my food since I am here until about 11 pm.

curlylocks
04-19-2005, 05:49 PM
hi sally! nice to have u join us.. look for our new thread forty somethings #2 !!! I have a myah but she's a kitty!!!

Le Cheez
04-26-2005, 11:59 PM
hey, i'm new and 40 something. Turned 40 last November. where do I find 40-somethinS #2?

you should be some-thins get it? lol

curlylocks
04-27-2005, 07:28 AM
lol thats a cute idea! we are on # 3 now .. come on by