100 lb. Club - Book Club???

View Full Version : Book Club???

NJ84
03-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Just had an idea...Would you guys want to maybe start a bookclub not have meetings or anything but just pick out some books and talk about them??? I love reading recently I've read a book by Jennifer Weiner called In her Shoes. That's all. :)

NJ84
03-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Lol Im replying to my own post but just had another thought. I thought maybe we could have different themed months like one month we pick out a mystery book, and the next motnh a romance ect. Ok I'm done for now. Cya

howie6267
03-30-2005, 11:17 PM
That sounds like fun. Kimberley and I both love reading.

djs06
03-30-2005, 11:49 PM
I think it's a great idea, and I'd like to participate (time and patience permitting, I'm an english major so reading is tight at random points in the semester). :) I read JW's Good in Bed; how does the second book compare if you've read it? :)

funniegrrl
03-31-2005, 11:49 AM
There is a "General Chatter" board that might be best suited for this, since it's not about weight loss.

howie6267
03-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Just my thought but I would like to have a couple of threads going on in this group that are not just wieght loss. I don't visit any of the other forms and would enjoy getting to know the people here better. Just like the Yadda thread I like that.

kykaree
03-31-2005, 12:46 PM
I love the idea of a book club. With so much weight to lose I am getting a bit caught up in it all, and the only things I am reading are books on health, nutrition and exercise, so some escape would be welcome!!!!!

Inca's Momma
03-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Time permitting once baby boy arrives I would love to do it also. I adore reading.

glynne
03-31-2005, 01:06 PM
I think a book club would be fun too ~ don't know if I could keep up, but it would be fun to try. And I agree with Howie ~ having it here ~ it would be fun to get to know you all a little more.

Sandi
03-31-2005, 02:05 PM
I agree about having some threads that are not just weight loss. I don't stray too far from the 100lb club either, and would also love to get to know everyone better on other terms than just weight loss. Kinda makes it a more friendly place to go!!! :)

SuchAPrettyFace
03-31-2005, 02:28 PM
I think it's a great idea, and I'd like to participate (time and patience permitting, I'm an english major so reading is tight at random points in the semester). :) I read JW's Good in Bed; how does the second book compare if you've read it? :)
In Her SHoes *is* Jenny Weiner's second book. It's being made into a movie w/Shirley MacLaine, Cameron Diaz & Toni Collette. It was awesome.

Little Earthquakes is her new one, would love to read it.

I think this is a good idea. I wouldn't mind getting to know everyone a little better.

barbygirl43
03-31-2005, 03:02 PM
sounds great to me. I'm always reading something or other. Been on a murder/mystery kick lately. :)

Gardenwife
03-31-2005, 03:15 PM
I'd love to join in! Like some others here, it's rare that I visit other forums, save a couple individual threads to which I subscribe.

NJ84
03-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting such a positive response :) Ok, so here's what I'm thinking everyone who is interested list some books that you want to check out and then we can vote on which one we all like.

I nominate :

The Five People You Meet in Heaven By: Mitch Albom

Summary:Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?"

Angels and Demons By:Dan Brown

Summary: When world-renowned Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned to a Swiss research facility to analyze a mysterious symbol -- seared into the chest of a murdered physicist -- he discovers evidence of the unimaginable: the resurgence of an ancient secret brotherhood known as the Illuminati...the most powerful underground organization ever to walk the earth. The Illuminati has now surfaced to carry out the final phase of its legendary vendetta against its most hated enemy -- the Catholic Church.

Langdon's worst fears are confirmed on the eve of the Vatican's holy conclave, when a messenger of the Illuminati announces they have hidden an unstoppable time bomb at the very heart of Vatican City. With the countdown under way, Langdon jets to Rome to join forces with Vittoria Vetra, a beautiful and mysterious Italian scientist, to assist the Vatican in a desperate bid for survival.

Embarking on a frantic hunt through sealed crypts, dangerous catacombs, deserted cathedrals, and even the most secretive vault on earth, Langdon and Vetra follow a 400-year-old trail of ancient symbols that snakes across Rome toward the long-forgotten Illuminati lair...a clandestine location that contains the only hope for Vatican salvation.

Remember you don't have to go out and buy the books there's always the library remember that old thing?

Amanda

Gardenwife
03-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Those sound interesting. Libraries are our friends! Most state library systems have the ability to order copies from other branches if your local library doesn't have the book or it's checked out. I'm not sure what the library systems are like in Canada, the UK and other places I see 3FC members live.

barbygirl43
04-01-2005, 04:50 PM
The library here is linked to about 10 other ones. I can even request books online and then they call when they arrive.

I'll vote for Angels and Demons :)

lessofsarahtolove
04-02-2005, 01:41 AM
My vote goes to The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Great idea, Amanda!

missaprylj
04-04-2005, 10:56 PM
They both sound good to me! :yes:

Gardenwife
04-04-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm easy, but the The Five People You Meet in Heaven wins my interest by a nose.

dragonwoman64
04-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I'd be interested too. I love murder mysteries, so I'd throw in a vote for Angels and Demons. I'm flexible, though. (We saw the movie for 5 People, don't know why, but I'm less interested in reading the book in general once I've seen the movie. Guess it's the element of surprise.)

Gardenwife
04-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I know what you mean - I started listening to the audiobook of Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook and all I'm doing is comparing it to the movie to see where they differ. It's good, but that element of surprise is gone, like you said. I love murder mysteries and forensics books, too, though. Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Patricia Cornwell, Lawrence Sanders, etc.

Donna B.
04-06-2005, 09:59 AM
I would love to be in the book club. I read all the time. I have read both of NJ's picks and both are good books. NJ, Have you read "Tuesday's with Morrie". also by Mitch Albom. One last suggestion. "She's come undone" by Wally Lamb. This was a GREAT book. On topic too.

dragonwoman64
04-06-2005, 10:38 AM
I know what you mean - I started listening to the audiobook of Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook and all I'm doing is comparing it to the movie to see where they differ. It's good, but that element of surprise is gone, like you said. I love murder mysteries and forensics books, too, though. Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Patricia Cornwell, Lawrence Sanders, etc.

We have a used book store near us and recently bought up a bunch of Tony Hillerman mysteries, with Jim Chee, for just a couple of dollars. People in this neighborhood sometimes just pile books they don't want anymore on the sidewalk and a lot of times it's mysteries. I saw a stack of Sue Grafton books the other day. My bf's mom loves Stephen King and Dean Koontz, I think she has every one of their books. I've probably read about 1/2 of King's books.

Gardenwife
04-06-2005, 07:04 PM
She's Come Undone is a good one, as is I Know This Much is True.

Boy, I'd love to come across a pile of books like that!

sssst25
04-06-2005, 07:35 PM
I think that a book club is a sweet idea. I'm going to school to be a librarian - liking books is kind of a prerequisite :) - I vote for Angels and Demons.

Donna B.
04-07-2005, 11:10 AM
lol..me too!!

Gardenwife
04-07-2005, 03:56 PM
When I was in college, I did my work-study at the library. The worst thing they could do was send me out to shelf-read (make sure the books were in their correct places). I'd see interesting titles and next thing I knew, I'd be standing there reading. I was much more efficient typing overdue notices. It's all computerized now, so I'd be back out there shelf-reading if I worked there. ;)

barbygirl43
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I went ahead and requested both of those books on Tuesday and the library called me that afternoon so I have them checked out for 3 weeks. I can get an extension on them if necessary. It was weird though because when I clicked on the location of the books my hometown library wasn't the one listed and I was 2nd in line for the 5 in heaven one.

sssst25
04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
I worked in a library as an undergrad too - and I hated shelf reading!! It was just a physics library, so I wasn't very interested in any of the titles and standing there reading call numbers for an hour got really boring.

jennie934
04-07-2005, 04:16 PM
did you guys pick a book. I'd love to join. I love reading and ussually I just pick up what ever is new at the library so it would be great to have something specific to read and people to talk abou it with.

SuchAPrettyFace
04-07-2005, 05:20 PM
She's Come Undone = one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure of curling up with.

Gardenwife
04-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Anyone read Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy? That's a strange one and a great read, really keeps you on your toes and guessing.

NJ84
04-09-2005, 07:42 PM
HEy :)

Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply been working like a crazy person. So I gather from the votes that Angels and Demons has won for this months book. I'm not sure how this works exactly am I supposed to give an assignment like everyone read the 1st chapter?? or Read the whole thing then we talk about it??? I guess we'll all figure it out together. Anyways get out the bookmarks and lets get going. :)

Amanda

Gardenwife
04-10-2005, 10:55 PM
I'll have to pick it up at the library. Good question...Do we go chapter-by-chapter, or read the whole thing, then discuss? I am likely to read it in a few days, either way. I gobble books!

Reading Dean Koontz's The Taking right now. Great build-up in this one! His storytelling skills are superb.

WickedMommy
04-10-2005, 11:11 PM
I saw that book at my local walmart and thought about picking it up. LOL..coolness..now i have a valid reason to spend money on books." But Honey I joined a book club!"

barbygirl43
04-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Since I'm sure we all read at a different pace, why not read the whole book and then start a new thread discussing it. That way, if you aren't finished and do not want to know what happens, you can wait until you are done to put in your 2 cents.

barbygirl43
04-18-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm almost finished with the book and am ready to discuss when you are!! :D

sandia sandi
04-20-2005, 03:31 PM
;) :lol: ;) Those sound interesting. Libraries are our friends! Most state library systems have the ability to order copies from other branches if your local library doesn't have the book or it's checked out. I'm not sure what the library systems are like in Canada, the UK and other places I see 3FC members live.

sandia sandi
04-20-2005, 03:39 PM
I Don't know what I just did to mess up anothers post :o Sorry--I like it-I know Oprah's books are always a good choice-We could read certain number of pages and all post on the same day-I'm in, Sandy