Entrees - Phase 1 - The BEST Chicken and Spinach Casserole

kissyjoy
03-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Even if you don't like spinach, this casserole is SOOOOO good! I love it but it's a little high on the fat side so I don't have it all the time. It's great reheated for lunch the next day!

The BEST Chicken and Spinach Casserole

2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
10 oz. box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon white pepper (or black)
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup l/f mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350. Combine the chicken and spinach in a greased 8"X8" baking dish. Mix remaining ingredients together. Mix about a 1/4 of the sauce mixture with the chicken and spinach mixture and spread out across the bottom of the dish. Spread the rest of the sauce mixture over the chicken and spinach. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until top is nicely browned. The browner the top is (not burnt though) the better this dish is.

Makes 4 servings

BillB
05-14-2005, 10:20 PM
We've made this twice since I downloaded the receipe and everyone just loves it. Since my wife and I started SB three weeks ago the receipe's on this web site have kept us going. This one is like eating spinach/artichoke dip with chicken substituting for the artichokes. It's yummmy. Thanks.

KristinJ
07-05-2005, 12:54 AM
This was great! I put a little more chicken in it and made a little more sauce then topped it with garlic and herb feta. Oh wow! I figure that I can stretch it to 6 servings. Thanks for the great recipe!!

Kristin

friendsforfitness
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
My family and I really, really, liked this dish. Next time I may just make the sauce and serve it over grilled chicken breasts though. It is a little on the rich side for us.

Thanks for posting it!
Lisa

pearshape
01-17-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm making this tomorrow night. I'm going 1/2 mayo 1/2 tofu to cut down on the fat. Can't wait, sounds yummy!

pearshape
01-24-2006, 09:32 AM
This was great. I used fresh spinach but didn't have enough so I threw in some Kale too. I just lightly sauteed them together before mixing everything together. I also used silken tofu instead of the mayo to cut down on the fat add some healthy soy. You can't even tell, I swear!

gothik butterfly
10-03-2009, 07:23 PM
I have this in the oven right now... but broccoli instead of spinach since I don't have any spinach on hand. I can't wait til it gets done!!

briggsy13
01-11-2010, 08:22 PM
I made this tonight. I used fresh spinach cause that is what I had. I couldn't put enough fresh in the pan to be enough. Like it needed twice as much spinach to help the flavor of the meal. It was good, but next time i think I'll either use the frozen, or cook the spinach ahead of time, or use broccoli. It was good though and the leftovers will make good lunch tomorrow. My 16 month old ate it up too!

bbygrl1117
01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Oh my goodness, this is the awesomest ever! Last week I made it and didn't have enough mozzarella so I substituted Feta for half- oh so delicious! This week I made it with enough and oh my - this is one of my all time favorite recipes ever! Even my DH and DD loved it!

texaslove
02-13-2010, 01:49 PM
I ran out and bought all the ingredients as soon as I read the recipe. I added a dash of hot sauce and reduced the parmesan (mainly because I ran out), but it turned out great! I also used reduced fat sour cream and light mayo...but yummy!

jenne1017
02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I did some tweaking myself. I cut three breasts up and sauteed in olive oil, mrs. dash onion and ground black pepper. I added garlic powder, a dash of Worchestshire and some pepper to the mix. I added Cheddar to the mix as well and used LF sour cream -- used 3/4 c of that and only 1/4 cup of mayo.

It is heating now!!! So excited to try it.

jenne1017
02-16-2010, 09:59 PM
It was yummy! Here's my pic. Totally easy and yummerz!

texaslove
05-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I added artichoke hearts and a dash of hot sauce. Delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

bellamar3
08-05-2010, 10:07 PM
This is my very favorite of the South Beach recipes.

I also used Jenne's tweaks with mayo & l/f sour cream.

This is a winner, diet or not!!::)

Purpleegg
10-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Not including the spinach in the count, and substituting Hellman's Light mayo and regular mozzarella (not light), I figured the calories at about 330 per serving, in case anyone is interested....

Can't wait until it comes out of the oven so I can join the fan club!!:carrot:

Purpleegg
10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Oh LORD that was delicious! The white pepper really gives it a love nip (as opposed to "bite"!). I had one serving with a side of sugar snap peas and I feel very satisfied. I was a little worried that something creamy and cheesy might set me off on a binge-let, but it didn't, so that's good!

Thank you for a great recipe!

Makaidyn
11-04-2010, 04:43 PM
WOW!! This was absolutely delicious. I used only a 1/4 cup of FF mayo to make it a little lighter but it was fantastic! My daughters (3&7) and my husband (who isnt dieting) loved it as well!!
Thanks for the recipe!

shelflife
01-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I made a couple of changes. Instead of 1/2 cup each of sour cream and mayo, I did 1/4 cup ff sour cream, 1/4 cup 1/2 fat mayo, and 1/2 cup ff greek yogurt. I decreased the Parmesan to 1/2 cup. I also added sliced zucchini to the spinach and chicken mixture.

It was absolutely delicious! My BF (who does not follow SBD) went back for seconds and described it as "a 5 star recipe". Both of us thought the zucchini really worked well! Looking forward to the leftovers later this week!!

fozentusic
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
This recipe is a winner! It does taste a lot like spinach artichoke dip. Absolutely delish! My husband ran back to the stove for a second helping.

I reduced the parmesan to 1/2 cup, used 1/2 of mozza cheese, fresh spinach, maybe 1/3c of mayo and sour cream, added in some 3 onion Epicure seasoning (no sugar or salt added), I used chopped leftover roasted turkey breast instead of chicken.

Excellent recipe! I would make this again even if I weren't dieting!

fozentusic
01-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I made it again tonight. :o Made some more changes.

When I was eating it, it reminded me a lot of the recipe for Epicure Selections extraordinary cheesy dip (you'll have to google the recipe for it yourself since apparently I can't post links or pictures yet. What a stupid forum rule, IMO)

So I kind of merged both recipes into one.

My new recipe became:
1/4 pkg of lite cream cheese
1/2 c LF mayo
1/2 c of LF sour cream
1/2 c of parmesan
1/2 c each of LF cheddar and LF mozzarella
Used the epicure seasonings as directed in the second recipe (don't know if you have these in the US, but they are great as they have no added salt or sugar)
2 c of chopped chicken breast
1 pkg of fresh spinach, chopped
1 can of artichokes, chopped (not marinated in oil)

It was seriously delicious. Assuming the recipe made 6 servings, my calculator calculates it out to be 264 cals per serving. (11g carbs, 12 g fat, and 29g protein). Very delicious!

Po95
04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
This may be a silly question but how do you guys get the chicken not to become overcooked and tough if you're using cooked chicken and then baking it for that long? Before SBD I would only cook with chicken thighs so I'm not used to cooking with chicken breasts yet and I feel like everytime I use them, they end up overcooking really quickly.

ash825
02-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Soooo delish. I added artichokes and didn't have mozzarella but it was still FAB. This will make our rotation. ;)

Foodismydrug
03-18-2013, 11:50 PM
I have some chicken defrosting and this sounds like a perfect dish for it!

LoLoLady
11-01-2013, 03:30 PM
I made this for dinner last night. I didn't have a lot of time, so I made it a bit differently. I thinly sliced chicken breasts and laid them out on the bottom of the baking dish. I layered the frozen chopped spinach right from the bag on top of the chicken. Then I spread on the sauce layer. Baked it in the over at 375 for 40 minutes. I was afraid it would be too watery given the uncooked chicken and frozen spinach. BUT NO! It was delicious. I will freeze the leftovers and have them again. This is a keeper.