Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 11:08 AM   #1  

I just found these boards yesterday & this is my very first post! I am about 290#, and almost wheel-chair bound. I can get around inside my home, am in & out of bed, recliner all day/night. My left knee is very bad, painful to walk a few steps & the kneecap "slips" & I feel like I'll fall (but I don't). I can only stand for a min. or two, due to severe pain. I just began trying to eat less Sun., no formal diet plan, just healthier. Biggest problem is my inability to excercise.....any ideas out there? I am hopeful my pain will lessen if I can lose most of this weight. We have no medical ins., or $ for DR. or anything. Just trying to do this alone. Thanks! Bunkee
Old 05-23-2001, 01:42 AM   #2  

As someone who has had medical insurance and access to medical care over the years who still ended up with a missed diagnosis in regard to one of my knees I highly recomend you find a way to see a doctor and have basic work-up done.

You really cannot afford to ignore the knee problems you are indicating any longer- you very well may end up permentantly losing use of your knees and with permenant pain. THere has to be some way to get some sort of insurance or make arrangements with a doctor to be seen- even if it means a payment plan. You are worth it!!!!

Once you see a doctor you will probably be referred for physical therapy- it is important that you at least see the physical therapist a few times for proper instuction on how to do your recomened exercises and to be monitored occasionally to make sure you are making progress with your exercises.

Knee stuff is nothing to fool around with- we depend on our knees every step we take. I am left using a single forearm crutch for the rest of my life- I ruptured a muscle and it went undiagnosised for over 10 years- I played the 'learn to live with it' game so well that I won the grand prize- chronic pain, disabled parking, and a vissable disability. Please do not make the same mistake.

For anyone to suggest exercise in your case, with the information you have provided would be an injustice to you- there are to many things to consider that may be going on with your knees- and your overall health. You talk about your knee feeling like it is slipping- either your knee joint itself is partially dislocating or your kneecap is- everytime that happens you are doing more damage to your knee to structures that cannot be repaired with current medical technology.

You are correct that losing weight will be better for your knees,a nd your overall health- but i can tell you from my own experience that it may not be the entire truth. THere has to be a low income clinic you can be seen at to at least have some sort of medical supervision for your weight loss. I assume your goal is to lose over 100 pounds- that is a significant weight loss to undertake. Please be as healthy as possible while losing the weight and do not fall for any of the rapid weight loss schemes.

I wish you well with your journey to health- just make sure you work with some medical 'guides' along your pathway to better health. I am not trying to be mean or to scare you- I only wish someone would have been more dirrect with me years ago so that my knee condition would not have progressed to this point. Please do not take the statement all of us who are overwieght have grown to hate when we see the doc- that all of our problems are due to our weight- I've been there and done that...hmmm, a ruptured muscle is much more resposible for my current situation then my weight is...in fact my weight is probably more a result of my knee condtion then the other way around.

~
Christine
Old 05-23-2001, 02:52 PM   #3  

Bunkee-Congrats on making the first step to becoming a healthier you! I do agree with Christine about the Doctor issue. It is very important to get a doctors opinion and a review about your overall health. I may also suggest that you take a look at this website www.oxycise.com and check out the testimonials about the many success stories with this breathing program. The main thing is that these exercises can be done in a seated position until you feel able to stand and take on the more vigorous exercise. It's just something to think about. I truly believe that the power of oxygen can help heal and help our bodies function better. Please check it out. And no I don't work for Oxycise I just really believe in it. Also please come here for motivation and help. These are the best bunch of ladies and you won't be able to find more support then here. Good luck to you!
Old 05-23-2001, 08:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Hey There... I agre with all that is said in this post....

As for exercise... I would recommend looking into the Oxycise I have heard good things about it.... Also what about exercises that you can do seated so that you dont mess with your knees..... you can do arm lifts, curls, etc.... using light weights or even cans of food from your pantry.... do arm circles, slow neck rolls.... anything simple to start.... do a few at a time until you can build up.... this is just a starting program.... as you lose weight, gain confidence you may be able to do more..... I know there is a video out there for exercising in a chair for the disabled... I dont know the name but you maybe able to find it somewhere out there...

Good Luck and keep trying.... you are worth it...
Old 05-30-2001, 10:17 AM   #5  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

PBS television has a program every afternoon that is geared toword elderly and handicaped people. It is excercise that is done in a chair. You wont be able to do some of it but I am sure it would be helpful. Also as to diet. I have had terrific success with Slimfast and so have many others. Feel free to join us at the Success With Slimfast #5 thread. I also agree that youn really need to see a doctor about youre knees. It sounds as if you are eventually going to permanently in that wheel chair if you don't get help. I have known a coupple of people who have had to have replacements and it sounds like you may be in that same fix very soon. You will find all of the support you need to loose the weight here. Welcome and I whish you lots of good success.
Closed Thread