Dieting with Obstacles - Friends with RA and OA #15

View Full Version : Friends with RA and OA #15

Happy Canuk
03-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Morning Angel.

I know you were doing some research on foods. I just got the book I ordered, called "Eat and Heal" and I am sharing what they say about RA foods. This is from the book

Eat lots of Omega-3 foods. Best are cold-water, fatty fish like Salmon, Mackeral, Albacore Tuna, and Herring for the biggest boost. Between seafood suppers, try cooking with canola oil and making salad dressings with Flaxseed Oil.

Cut back on Omega-6. While Omega-6 reduces the number of enzymes in your body that promote inflammation, Omega-6 encourages your body to make more. This is a tug-of-war you want Omega-3 to win. To help it win, limit your intake of foods rich in Omega-6, like meats, processed and fast foods, and vegetable oils, like Safflower, Corn and Soybean.

Olive Oil - The fragrant oil turned up the big winner in a recent study from Greece. The researchers surveyed the eating habits of over 300 people in seach of foods that can benefit people suffereing with Ra. Of over 100 different types of food, Olive Oil came out the winner.

The monounsaturated fatty acids in Olive Oil appeared to work like Omega-3 fatty acids by helping to reduce joint swelling at the source. The oil's antioxidants could play some role, too.

Antioxidants - Speaking of free radical fighters, exciting new research suggests all antioxicants might relieve, or even prevent, RA. Rheumatoid sufferers tend to be overloaded with free radicals and low on antioxidants. This imbalance leads experts to believe free radicals have a hand in causing joint damage. Eating antioxidant rich foods could give the edge back to the good guys - the antioxidants.

There are a few leaders in the antioxidant army - SELENIUM, VITAMIN E AND RESVERATROL. In a recent study from Sweden, low selenium levels appeared to increase a person's risk of getting a certain type of RA Some experts think raising your Selenium intake, might help to reduce your swelling and pain. Low Vitamin E levels, on the other hand, raise the risk of all types of RA.

Boost your selenium levels with seafood, mushrooms, dairy and whole wheat. Rich soures of vitamin E include fortified cereals, vegetable oils, peanuts and fish.

Pumpkin Seed Oil - You can profit simultaneously from the powers of antioxidants and fatty acids when you cook with pumpkin seed oil. Sometimes called "green gold' this unusaloil contains Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as Selenium, vitamin E, beta carotene and other antioxiants called polyphenols. When you put all of these ingredients together, you get potent anti-inflammatory remedy. You can cook with it or use it to make your favorite salad dressing. Chefs prize "green gold" because of its unique nutte taste. If you have trouble finding this oil, you can order it through the mail.

Contact Green Gold in Austria by e-mail (info@greengold.net or visit their Web site at http://www.greengold.net

Ginger and Tumeric - Ease the inflammation and ache of your next flare-up with a pot of ginger tea or a heaping plate of curry. Turmeric, the leading spice in Curry, and ginger both contain curcumin, an antioxidant with pain-fighting pwers. In laboratory studies, Curcumin appeared to be as potent as NSAIDS, like Ibruprofen.

Water- Soothing your fiery joints could be as easy as drinking six 8 oz glasses of water each day. Water lubricates and cushions your joints. But stay away from sugary drinks. They can lead to weight-gain, which could make your arthritis worse.

A WORD OF CAUTION: Many Ra sufferes blame food allergies for their arthritis. The biggest culprits seems to be Tomatoes, red meats, citrus fruits, legumes and coffee. And yet, scientific evidence hasn't been able to show a connection. Cutting one suspicious food from your diet won't hurt, but it's a good idea to check with your Dr. before making any drastic food changes.

Sorry for any typos. Just passing on as a topic of interest.

chrily
03-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Anne,
I absolutely love your little dog picture and the Easter bunny kitty. I'm an animal lover and those were just too cute. Where did you get them?

As far as the food connection thing, I believe I have some that make me feel worse. I think fast food makes me ache more. I haven't eaten any for a few days and I feel alot better. I've been trying to cut out sugar and I don't really eat much for pasta or refined thing either. I have noticed a big difference. I could rack it up to coincidence but I think eating better and exercising more have helped me come a long way.

Barb-It was soo good to see you post again. Sorry to hear your business is still not doing so great. My dad's went like that for awhile and it seems for us, the first few months of the year are always a struggle. Thanks be to the little leagues baseball season and the summer vacation. Candy sales go up and my dad is less "cranky'.

Charlotte-Thank you for the prayers for my husband. I don't know what's going on with him and his doctor is fairly baffled by it all too. I think they should do another ultrasound and biopsy and maybe take out that pesky thyroid. He'd be on meds for the rest of his life, which is no different than it is now. Did you're blood work show any elevated liver counts or anything like that? When my liver was getting "poisoned" with the sulfasalazine, I felt awful. I'd sit up and get dizzy. I had no energy and I was nauseous and vomiting...it was strange. I felt like I was dying and no one really could grasp that. I must say the worst part was when they found out it was my meds. I had to be off of everything totally until my liver count went back down to normal. That was almost 2 months of sheer agony. I hurt so bad. I could barely get to a standing position and walking...Oh my gosh, every step was torture. I can't even begin to describe the level of pain I was in. It was excruciating. That's why these days...feeling good feels sooo darn GREAT!

Joanne-Where are you? Don't tell us you're spending all your time walking on the beach? I would sooo love to be where you are right now. We have snow falling and I would enjoy having some nice warm sand to squish between my toes and the smell of the ocean in my nose. :)

Here's to a "as pain-free as we can get" day!!!! :lol: I better go break up the little "fight" between the girls. They have colds and boy are they moody.

~chris

Joanne D
03-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Hello Everybody...I went up to my daughters for a few days. We went shopping and it was shop till you drop. One day we went walking on some North Florida killer hills. We walked about 5 miles. I barely made it back to the car. The beach has been dreary for a few days. I don't walk in the sand. It is too hard on my knees. I prefer walking on the hard road at the beach and from my house to the beach.
I bought lamb for sunday. Just family will be here.I hope it will work out better than Christmas .
Bye for now.. Joanne

patriotsjunkie
03-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone! I just saw this thread and decided to jump in, hope you guys don't mind! Anyway I'm Whitney, I'm currently being tested for either RA or lupus... :devil: I have horrible ankle, wrist, and knee pain...it's constant and I'm only 28 and have a hard time making it down the stairs in the morning :( I am currently still nursing my 16 month old, so I'm leery about taking any meds, although I do take motrin (800's) on my really bad days, and it takes the edge off a bit. I"m hoping that with some weight loss and some excercise it'll get better, but I'm not seeing much improvement, maybe I just have to lose some more weight! HA! Anyway I'm glad to see this thread, I hope you guys find some relief with your pain. I bought some books that might be helpful, "eat drink and be healthy" is a good one, I'm sort of using that guide to do my WW core program, and the other one is "eating for optimum health" by dr. weil. It has some really specific guidelines about different disorders and changing eating habits to help them. Anyway worth a look :) dr. weil also has a great website! Anyway have a great day everyone!

Angel-lover
03-24-2005, 06:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/teenypinkhatwlcm.gif

PATRIOTSJUNKIE!!

I'm so sorry you're in such pain. I sure hope you find out what's wrong & can get some help soon. This is a good place to come & talk when you're feeling down & need to vent. We all understand, because we all have chronic pain. I'm sure there are meds that you'll be able to take while nursing.

I have RA & OA, & currently being tested for more. Sometimes I forget I'm suppose to be on a diet, & just come to talk to my friends. I lost my weight a couple of summers ago, & was maintaining. But, some has creeped back on, so....back to trying to lose.

Please keep us informed how you are doing.

Happy Canuk...that was so sweet of you to post the information. Thank you so much! I was reading in WebMD about taking Cod Liver Oil & leaving off sugar making such a difference! Seems this lady had remembered her grandmother having RA really bad, & used an old remedy she remembered talked about through the years. Said she got so much better, & was back to working in her garden! I can't walk through a garden anymore, much less work in one. I heard that Fish Oil was good, but that the Cod Liver Oil was better...to take the liquid (capsules wasn't as good), put it in milk, or juice, or whatever to take the edge off. I just may have to try it. Also, everywhere I research, sugar is a big enemy of RA! Sugar is my largest addiction!! Going to be hard, but I've got to cut back. I'm going to copy & paste your post, so I'll have it. Again, thanks.

Hi Joanne...glad you enjoyed being with your daughter. We missed you. I thought maybe, you had gone visiting. I've never tasted lamb. I'm not a good cook, so would want someone else to cook it for me to try. I hope everything turns out well with your weekend.

Hi chrily...I don't know what the lab tests showed, other than "borderline" for a lot of things. I'm to keep my follow up appt for April 12th. They really stressed that! It irritates me when they just give me enough information to worry me, & not explain. I'm going to start requesting a copy of all test results & lab work. I can always do research to find out what it means. I sure hope I don't have to do without my meds! No one would be able to put up with me! :^: I'm bad enough, as it is!!
I do hope your DH gets better. I'm praying hard for him.

Hope all of you have a good day...........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/Have20A20Nice20DayFlower1.gif

chrily
03-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Welcome Whitney!
You sound kind of like me. I started out with the pains at 27 and here I am 7 yrs later dealing with it still. Sorry to hear your in such pain. When they figure out what you have and how they want to treat it, you should feel so much better. It's the not knowing part that stinks in the beginning.

Okay...sorry so short everyone. Mini-melt down with the kids upstairs and I need to get dinner ready for all of them. I'll check back in a bit.

~chris

patriotsjunkie
03-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I appreciate it :) hopefully soon we'll figure out what the problem is and we'll be on our way! It's tough w/ the kids being so little, but as I'm crossing my fingers, it does get easier right?! EEK! :dizzy:

Angel-lover
03-25-2005, 09:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/sumbunnyspecial.jpg

Hello everyone......

I hope you all have a great day! I can't stay, got lots to do, but thinking of you all!

Hope the pain is minimal today! So far, this morning, I'm not so bad. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/HAGWKD_BABY_BATH_DixiesDesigns_.gif

chrily
03-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Whitney,
That was and still is the most difficult part for me...having little ones to take care of. I've had plenty of days were my hands hurt and I had no strength in them to use a can opener, brush my hair, fold clothes, pick up the little people, and so on. Once you get some medicine, it should get easier. I've been on Methotrexate for over a year now, and it's working really good for me. I have an occasional bout of swelling and pain (usually in my wrists now) and then I can go back to being "normal". There is lots of things that help. What helped me ALOT was losing some weight and exercising. Exercising is important...keeps those little joints from getting stiff. I'm guessing you're husband is in the service huh? Germany...WOW! Must be an interesting place to be. I have hardly been out of Montana. My sister's brother in law was supposed to go to Germany for a little while before they sent him to Iraq...but they put him straight over there. He's been there for 4 months I think. Anyhow, you found a really good thread to be on. These ladies have helped me out ALOT! They've listened to alot of my problems and rants and raves...and STILL like me... :D

Charlotte-Busy lady today huh? Well the kids are home for Easter break so I have a house full. Easter Sunday is over at my sister's house. We're going to our Easter service at church and then over to her house for dinner and an Easter egg hunt for the kids. Then later in the afternoon its over to my MIL"s house we go. Busy day. The service at our church is fantastic.

Well once again...the melt-downs are going on. Screaming and fighting. Tiana just got a call from her friend, and her dog died last night. She's really upset and crying and so is her brother...I'm guessing they might wander over this way too. Poor little honeys.

~chris

Angel-lover
03-27-2005, 10:15 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/ResurrectionSunday.gif

Joanne D
03-27-2005, 06:58 PM
I HOPE EVERYBODY HAD A NICE EASTER..IT WAS NICE HERE AT MY HOUSE..
By ....Joanne

Angel-lover
03-29-2005, 05:37 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/friends_7290.gif
Good early morning everyone...
It's a little after 4am, & I've been awake for well over 2 hours. Might as well get up. Something terrible happened at the TV Station that has me upset, & I couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd just talk about it a little, if you all don't mind.
I got to the station at 11:45 & immediately saw the side foyer door had been broken completely out! Later, found it was a block that had been thrown threw it. I went to the front door & let myself in, checking out the building. Everything looked fine. Nothing in either studio was disturbed, cameras, etc still there. The computers (we have several) were untouched, all monitors (tv sets) were all there. Brother Jones office was ok. So, I decided some mean kids probably had broken the glass door just for kicks. I went to the office that Connie & I share to call & report it, & found a terrible mess! All of the money (which was locked up) was gone, & the personal things on both of our desks had been knocked across the room & broken! They didn't do a clean sweep of the desks, knocking everything off, but went between the phones, adding maching, roll-a-dex, etc, to get to the pictures, angels, whatever we had, & destroyed it! (gee....looks like it's not meant for me to have anything anymore, especially my angels. )I fell all to pieces! I finally got myself together & called Connie & Bro Jones, who were still 5 hrs away...but, on their way back. He talked to me so calmly & reassuringly. If they had panicked, like I did, I'd never made it through!
After I called the police, I let two of the guys on staff know, & they came to be with me. My sister called in the middle of me talking to the police, & I told her why I couldn't talk....she sent my brother-in-law, who stayed all evening! I may have been alone at first for awhile, but had plenty of help for the rest of the day. The whole evening consisted of police investigation, dealing with insurance, getting the door replaced....etc. I was totally exhausted! Connie & Bro Jones got there around 5pm.
I stayed & went on with my program at 6pm, with my BIL helping me. I was still trembling, after all that time! It hurts so bad to know someone would take from a Christian Station, where everyone works so hard. Also, to know someone would do me & Connie that way about our personal things. Connie was scolding me for going into the building alone, when I found the door broken out........I didn't think about it, was just anxious to check things out.

Well...a bit of nice news. My sister called me Sunday morning to tell me I was on the front page of the newspaper! I've been nominated by the Chamber of Commerce to receive an award for "Volunteer of the Year"! I knew nothing about it, or expected it. I've been volunteering at the TV Station since '94, when it first came to our town. Also, singing at nursing homes. I felt like it was something the Lord wanted me to do, & wasn't expecting any awards. I have to admit, though, it made me feel kind of good. I received my letter yesterday from the Chamber of Commerce inviting to the banquet Thursday night. That's when the winners will be announced. All of the nominees will receive recognition, though! It's an honor to be just to be nominated. :)

I'm glad you all had a nice Easter. It was nice, except for the weather. Very stormy & raining. Everything worked out, though. DH & I don't plan much anymore, anyway....getting old, I suppose. :^:

Chrily...take care of those hands. I thought of you the last couple of days. My hands have been bothering me more than usual & swelling. I don't have trouble with them very often, other than not being able to hold on to things very well.

Joanne...Happy you had a good Easter.

Happy Canuk...I'm not eating those healthy foods yet, but planning to.

Whitney...have you heard from your tests yet? I've got test results to hear from on the 12th of April. I thought I had enough with OA & RA! :^:

Hi to everyone....have a pain-free day.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/HUGGIES_30862.gif

Joanne D
03-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Angel- What a awful thing to go through. Don't take it personal ,they were just after the money. These kinds of things can shake you up a lot though.
What a nice thing the chamber is giving you. I am sure you deserve it.
Hello everybody...Joanne

chrily
03-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Charlotte, I'm sorry! That just makes me sick to hear about what happened. I think the breaking of the personal items would have hurt me the most too. On the positive side of things....Congratulations! Volunteer of the Year. What an honor! I bet that surprised you esp. after all that. Have a great day and take care of those hands. Mine are feeling better. I havne't had to sew for a few days though... :lol:

Joanne-Glad you had a great Easter Sunday.

Whitney-Any news on your test results? Let us know. I'm kind of anxious to see what the doctor finds out.

Hi Anne and Barb! Hope your Easter was good too.

Our church service was a really great message. I enjoyed it and learned alot. Then we went to my sister's for Easter dinner and and Easter Egg Hunt for the kids. After that it was to my MIL's house for an evening appetizer thing. She didn't want to cook a big dinner. All and all it was a good day. Now I have to get back to behaving.

Kelly had an appt. with his doctor today to go over his test results. His doc. thinks his problem with his triglycerides is caused by a genetic liver problem. Nothing to do for it...except lose weight. He's probably about 40 lbs. overweight. So looks like we both have something to work on. Kayla tells everyone her mom is getting a new body, and that she gets to pick out my new clothes when I do. I don't want to disappoint her but it seems like an awfully big claim to fulfill. Please...I need some inspiration and will to do this. I want to be healthier for my kids. I also need more patience with them. They are so out of hand and it seems like there is no help for me. I tried to get into a parenting class at church but it was full already. I don't know if I can handle another 2 months of this. I just don't know what to do with it all. Seems like everything is falling apart at the seams.

Well I better go find me something for dinner. The kiddies got a pizza from Little Caeser's...Thank Goodness, I can't eat pizza. It sure smells good.

~chris

Angel-lover
03-29-2005, 09:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/just20a20note.jpg

Oh Chrily....hon, I wish I knew how to help you. Is there no one to give you a litte break, sometimes? That's something we all need, is just to get off to ourselves & refresh a little. If I was close by, I'd help, if I could at all. Hang in there, & be strong. As far as losing weight....I'm totally out of control, myself. The more junk food I eat, lately, the more I want! I get mad at myself afterwards, but, can't seem to help it. :( I don't think you'd disappoint Kayla by not losing weight....but, by not buying new clothes for her to help with. A child loves us unconditionally....I don't think they see the weight. It's the adults that are so judgemental.
Please take care of yourself. Don't beat up on yourself for not losing weight as fast as you think you should.....you're not alone. I'll pray you have the strength to do what you have to do. Being a mom is a big job! Praying for DH, also.

Joanne...thanks for the compliment. I don't know about deserving the award. Should we receive an award for something we love to do? Besides, my reward will come later.
I'm afraid I am taking the break-in personal. So is Connie. It was just so clear they wanted to hurt us, by destroying sentimental things we had. I have a gigantic headache today! I'm sure things will get better.

Hope all have a good evening.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/ShowLetter5.gif

ageoldie
03-30-2005, 09:22 AM
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/Good%20Morining/gm4.gif

Charlotte: What a scary thing to have happen. Personal stuff is so hard to take, because money can be replaced, but most of the personal stuff we have at our desk mean something special to us.

But: http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/ALL%20OCCASIONS/congrats/congratsrainbow.gif on your nomination!!!

Chris & Whitney, boy I know how hard it is for me to just keep the grandson for a night, I can't imagine having him day and night all the time!! I'm glad you are younger than I am!! Of course, if they were mine, I'm sure I'd cope someway, just as the two of you are, but I do feel for you!

Don't remember when I last posted, and what I said, but to recap the last few month, our business is still very way off and therefore very stressful. We have not been able to add back any of the employees that we had to let go, so that means that we are still doing double duty. I have, by default, become the "shipping dept Manager" and it would be the last thing I would want to do. What it involves is getitng all the shipping documents ready for all of the shipments and making sure the shipping companies are lined up to be there to pick up the freight, etc. i do just about all of it, except ac tually handle (lift) the packages and load them on the trucks. So by the time the day is over, I am really tired.

Last Thursday I went back to the doctor for results of test I had had done, and was dx'ed with high blood pressure and asthma on top of all the other problems I have, so I feel like a drug store when I open my medicine cabinet every morning!

Well, I'll try to be here more often from now on, but I can't promise. I've got to get serious about loosing weight again. I know that most of my medical problems would be lessen with weight loss, but it's so hard! But I have to get serious again!

I hope everyone has a great week!

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/siggys/1dayssgtagbarb.jpg

Joanne D
03-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Please forgive me for not addressing all of you..Maybe I am though..Try the South Beach diet.. Get a small hand book(you don't need the hard back) and give it a try. Set aside just 30-60 minutes a day for yourselves and take a walk. Find a Tops Group and go to a meeting. They are a support group. Not just for weight loss.If you give this a try ,you will lose the weight. Can the pizza's. They are not so good for the kids,although, they love them and it makes it easy for you. Now you are saying,'Who does she think she is'?I am a gal who has tried it all to lose the weight.. I must have joined W/W a dozen times.I ruined my health taking diet pills. The last time I lost 60 lbs on the 1 2 3 plan. I then joined Tops and lost 14 more, My sister is a leader there and I like their support group. W/W did not have the support I needed. I was not losing anymore in their plan. I like the S/B diet. It is healthy and easy.I now am at my goal weight of 145 and plan to lose a few more. I walk 3-4 miles several times a week. Put this thought in your mind."I am worth it.I deserve it." and take your hour a day for just you. Your family will survive.I know some of you cannot do the walking. Then get a tape and do the passive sitting exercise.Richard Simmons has some good ones. Get your kids and family involved with your eating and exercise plan. It is good for them too.
Have I preached enough?? I guess so,but ,it is all meant in a positive way..
Stay well and hope that all of us can have a healthy pain free day...Joanne

Happy Canuk
03-30-2005, 10:50 AM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/hellogoodmorninggoodnight/websize/have%20a%20wonderful%20day.jpg

Angel - so sorry that something so terrible happened to you. You should NOT have gone into that building however; what if they were still in there. My goodness, we all do things without thinking and thank goodness you were not hurt. I don't know why all the vandalism has to take place. Hope this doesn't haunt you.

My cousin shut down her business after being broken into two times in 3 months. At least they didn't vandalize the place - it was a gift shop. Could you imagine the mess that would have been? That also happened to me many years ago, when I worked in a travel agency. What a mess, but they could NOT break into the huge, old safe where all the money and airlines tickets were kept, so they went into the back and literally tossed the place. What a huge mess. Took days to clean it up, as in that line of business you have to put the world back in order :lol:

Barb - glad to see you back. Hope you don't get too tired and start a flare going. I am not sure if that is how RA works or not, but it sure is how FM works. I am still trying to get over the Easter weekend. Had dinner for 16 here, plus my kids and their families all came on Saturday, so two days of it. Monday and Tuesday, I was dead on my feet!

Joanne - thank you! You are just what I needed to hear, and now I need to get moving. Since they changed my meds, after being in the hospital in January, I have some new found energy, and have been doing more. I just needed a kick in the pants to get going and I think your gave it to me.

To the gals with little ones. It is hard. I had a problem with the lower back, when my kids were small, and I couldn't do much. It resulted in them removing the disc and the lamina and a couple of other things when my son was 9. This was good for about 5 years, and then problems again, resulting in arthritis in the facet joints of the lower back (those are the little joints that give us motion to turn our bodies etc.). I know how hard it is to look after little ones when you are in so much pain. I didn't have any foggy brain however, like I get now.

I hope you all have a great day.

chrily
03-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Joanne, I have done the Phase 1 of the SB diet and did lose 7 pounds. I guess I should get out of my slump and go back and start Phase 1 all over again. I had the same problem as you with WW. I lost and then I hit a point where it just wasn't working anymore. I stayed at the same weight for 4 months no matter what I did...lowering points, more exercise, etc. I am in an exercise slump too. I can't seem to get it together. I have a gazelle, Walk away the pounds tape, Richard Simmons, and a couple others. What is this
1 2 3 program you were talking about? I think alot of my problem is that I keep trying to find the quick fix and can't get that out of my head. I know there isn't a quick fix. I wish I did have some time to attend a TOPS meeting. I know we have them around here. I just have few childcare options and my husband started a new job so he's been doing alot of overtime. His hours are very unpredictable right now. Thanks for your suggestions. Enough of this pity party for me...time to get something done. :)

Anne-My problem with my kids is their whole attitudes anymore. The oldest is entering that pre-teen backtalking stage and the middle one is always " I won't do this" and "I"m not eating that" and so on. You tell her to do something and she takes off doing this screaming crying fit. The youngest does her tantrum thing too but she comes out of it fast. Except it takes a physical toll on my hands dragging them to time-outs or trying to strap Nicole in her carseat when she doesn't want to. Its amazing how a 2 yr old can get the strength of an adult when they don't want to be strapped into something. It's also taking quite an emotional toll on me. I feel so drained. Maybe that's why my weight loss efforts aren't working. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I'm trying...I think. It just feels like I'm going nowhere with it all. HELP!

Gotta finish the cleaning. I'm working in 20 min. spurts to get stuff done. The kitchen is clean. The upstairs livingroom is done. Now its the family room. And of course that dreaded pile of laundry.

~chris

chrily
03-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Sorry Charlotte,
I forgot that I didn't respond to you too. I thought I already did. Anyhow, I'll have to find a way to get through this whole mess of mine. There has to be something I can do to relieve some of this stress and find a way to get the kids to listen and be respectful. And there seems to be alot of competition between them. Little things like "I don't want her to have the same thing as me" and "she got more than me" and all that typical stuff. If you told someone older how much it was wearing on me or how angry it makes me to see them act like that...they'd understand and try to change. It's like kids don't have the capacity to understand the level of emotion that an adult endures through all this. Of course, I didn't either until I had kids of my own...then it's like "oh my gosh, my mom was right!"

Yes, you do deserve the award. For more reason's than you'll ever know. And yes, you're biggest reward is in heaven. You can tell you love your job and can you even begin to imagine how many lives you have changed just by what you do? You are an awesome person-one of God's masterpieces.

~chris

Angel-lover
03-30-2005, 08:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/pansies_27938.gif

It's nice to see everyone post today! Thanks for everyone's concern. Things are quieting down at the station now. Almost too quiet. We're just kind of sad.....to know someone would do that.
Yes, I realize it was a bad idea to go into the building alone. I just wasn't thinking. To tell you the truth, though. I'd probably do it again. I was so anxious to know the damages. Everyone there works soooo hard. It's non profit, & the employees don't really make a large pay check. So many people have been helped by that station.....I guess it's making the devil mad!

Thanks for the kind words about my nomination. Someone will have to inform me if I get the award.....which I doubt. They will be giving recognition to all the nominees, though, & would like to experience that. The thing is....I've got 3 little granddaughters in a pageant at the same time! That's where I'll be. ;)

Joanne...I need to go back & read your post over & over....until it's drilled in my head! I'm getting so fat. It's ugly & it can't be good for me! :( I even got so discouraged, I took my weight tracker off! :^: I know, it's up to me to do something about it!!!!!!!

Happy Canuk...I'm sure that shook your cousin up, getting vandalized twice in 3 months. I know this really hit me hard. I told one of the policemen what had happened to me & DH & that I was beginning to take it personally! Connie & I just sat quietly today & stared at our desks where our sentimental things had been....it's hard to concentrate, when you think someone hates you that bad! I love your graphic. :D

Chrily...hang in there, girl. Just remember, you're only beginning with the pre-teen. I don't know why they have to go through these things...my kids turned out wonderful, after they got through it! :) Now, as far as the two younger ones....I'm not there, so I don't know. We never used time out, though. We used a little keen switch. After a couple of times, all we had to do is show it to them. Of course, this may not be the way you want to go. I hope you don't get mad at me....just telling you what we did. My son (who's recently divorced) is back living with us & has joint custody of his two girls ( 3 & 6) He uses time out & such.....doesn't work! Then, when he finally gets enough, he counts to three. If they don't do what they should by then, they get the switch! Most of the time it's after the count of 2....but, they make it. If he would do that to begin with, it would save him a lot of trouble. :D This place can get pretty noisy, sometimes!! I have little ones here every other week.......

Ageoldie....So good to hear from you. Sorry about your blood pressure & asthma. Not surprised about your blood pressure, though, the way you're having to work. Hope you can slow down, soon.
Thanks for the beautiful graphic! I remember when you were anxious to start posting graphics.....great job. :D

Hello Whitney........

I hope you all are feeling well this evening.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/happyspringdragonflies.gif

Joanne D
03-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Angel- You can do this!!! Don't let upsets set you back.. Get your family involved with a eating plan that is not only healthy for them but you too. Make a game out of exercise. The little ones will enjoy doing exercise with you.Reward yourself for the things you accomplish. Keep a journal..Don't say I am getting fat and it is ugly. Say, I am beautiful and going to get better.Don't get discouraged,start NEW each day.Put your weight tracker back on and refer to it every day after you get on the scale and FACE it..Start by doing 30 minutes of exercise 3-4 times a week..Throw out all the junk food. You can do this!!!
Chrily- Go to S/B and do phase 1 again. You know you don't have to go to phase2 till you feel deprived.. I didn't. I say the same thing to everyone..Unless you write down everything you put in your mouth you don't realize how much you are really eating.. I still measure and weigh most of my food.I had to stop eating the white carbs. What a difference! Be good to yourself. You are important.You can do this.. My G/mother used to tell me 'can't never did anything'.1 2 3 W/W program is a older one (about 4-5 years ago). I liked it because it was so easy. points system. Check it out on the WW site. It should be around still.You can join TOPS on line if you can't get to meetings. Check out their site.My sister Eleni is a leader and she is there often. She often gives information to people who are interested.You can use any eating plan you want and works for you.Tops is a support group.
Come on Ladies. Lets beat this together...Joanne

chrily
03-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Charlotte-No offense taken about the switch. We got the good old fashion belt when I was a kid and the paint stirring stick. Yes...I remember and I know I tended to behave better.

Joanne-I'll check out the TOPS online site. Thanks for the ideas.

Sorry this is short but I have to finish dinner and the kids are outside. Gotta check on them and make sure they haven't ran away from home. ;) Tomorrow is parent/teacher conferences for Kayla. So we'll see how she's doing. My sister and her husband closed on their very first home today. I'm so excited for her. WHOO HOOO! Something good has happened. That's a great feeling.

~chris

Happy Canuk
03-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Charlotte, I forgot to congratulate you on your award. Way to go. Hope you get the big one, but any recognition is nice. Volunteers work darn hard. I live in the volunteer capital of the world :lol: Hope things are easier for you now.

Chris - Just a word from an old Mom. Be firm and don't allow them to get away with stuff. You and Your hubby have to be on the same page. Waffleing is what kids want. They will bug you until you say YES! However, send them to their room and if that doesn't work, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a swat or two on the backside. That's why it is padded. Time outs don't work. I have NEVER seen one work yet. Kids need a LITTLE fear in their life in order to behave. You sure don't need to beat them and it only takes one good spanking to get their attention. Just be firm and they will turn around.

Hi Joanne and Barb. Hope your day is going well.

Angel-lover
04-03-2005, 10:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/computerdollsunday.gif

Hello everyone,

Very tired......this time change thing is rough....

I didn't get the award, but that's ok. It was an honor just to be nominated. I didn't go to the banquet, so that pretty much made that decision. A guy that runs the mission in town got the award. He deserved it...he works very hard. My 3 granddaughters were in a beauty pageant & I had promised I would be there. I believe in keeping my word, & it showed them that we should. :) The middle granddaughter got 3rd place! They were all beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to take baby steps about this diet thing. I know sugar is a big enemy of RA & also my weight loss...so, I'm going to start tomorrow with trying to cut out sugar. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me.......& pray for everyone around me the next few days.......I'm going to be hard to live with!!!! :^:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/all_21692.gif

Happy Canuk
04-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Charlotte, you are not alone. I am joining you tomorrow. Sugar is gone along with other things. I wish you luck and I wish me luck ;)

chrily
04-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Charlotte,
I will join you tomorrow too. I had a little run in with the Easter bunny's jelly beans. Sneaky little devils. :s: :lol:

I didn't know sugar was an RA enemy. Maybe that's why when I did phase 1 of SB, I felt really good. I'm going to have to refocus and go back to phase 1 and do it all again and NOT fall off the wagon again.

TTFN and I'll check back with all you ladies tomorrow.

~chris

Angel-lover
04-04-2005, 10:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%208/end.gif

Joanne....it took a couple of days for it to sink in....but, you're right....I've got to do this!!!! I'm glad Happy Canuk & Chrily are joining me! It'll be easier, knowing I'm not suffering alone. :lol:

Yes, Chrily....in my research, I found that sugar is the biggest enemy of RA!! Wouldn't you know it? What I love the most! I think it'll be easier, though, when I can afford to get a juicer. Those strawberry shakes that Bro Jones (at the station) makes us are DELICIOUS!!

Happy Canuk.....I wish you & ALL OF US luck on this!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!

Gotta go get ready for work.

Hi to everyone........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20one/Animation01t.gif

Happy Canuk
04-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Yes, Charlotte, we CAN and WILL do this!!!!!

Sugar is also really bad for Osteo Arthritis and Fibromyalgia. The only thing it is really good for is weight gain :lol: Sugar depresses the immune system, so I guess that may be part of the reason. That, of course, also means that eating white bread, rice, etc is also bad, as it all breaks down to glucose and is then stored as fat. I don't know why all the good tasting things are bad for us :dizzy:

Never mind 1 day at a time gals - let's go for 1 hour at a time. We can make it through today!!!!!

Joanne D
04-04-2005, 11:40 AM
I have faith that you girls can do this!!!There is a site here on fat chicks for Sugar Busters.. I haven't been there but I will check it out.. I have ben hurting really bad(L shoulder and arm) lately. As a matter a fact about 3 months. Hubby has Dr. appt today. I am going in with him so maybe Dr. will listen to me too.I am getting some sugar in my diet. Not much though. I don't eat the white foods.
Time change means I wake up at 9 instead of 8. My body doesn't change with the clock. It will take about a week for me.. I don't like time change..
We had a nice weekend. My nephew was down from Washington to go to a conference at McDill air base.He is a Col. in the Army. My son went and got him for the day . We visited and went out to eat..He is a really nice guy. I am so glad that he and my son have become friends.
Bye Joanne

Angel-lover
04-05-2005, 09:27 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/attitude.jpg
Good morning friends,
I stayed with Connie last night. Bro Jones is gone to LA to pick up a safe that was donated to the station. She was a little afraid to stay alone, after the break in. The alarm system isn't installed yet. They live in a trailer in the yard. (forgive me if I repeat myself, I can never remember what I've told you all. :^: )We sat up until 2am watching people remodel rooms in their homes. I hadn't watched those programs in a long time...enjoyed. We DID get a little spooked once. The phone rung....the ID only showed a cell phone # we didn't know. Couldn't get anyone to say anything. We took turns for about 30 minutes yelling into the phone for someone to say something. We could hear a crunching sound, so knew someone was there. Finally, when Connie had the phone, a woman answered wanting to know why she had called. Connie explained that we hadn't called. (her # is the same as the station's #....rings at their trailer, when station is closed.) The lady apologized. Said the phone was in her purse & the button must have gotten clicked, somehow. The station was the last place she called, so when it was clicked, that's where it called. We have a program where viewers call in to get discount coupons for restaurants, etc (very popular program!) Well....that was the spook for the night.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/a-exclaim1.gif
No sugar yesterday!!!! I made it pretty well. Wouldn't you know it.....the lady that does the cooking show on Monday (we always wait for her!! ) made some of the best looking sweet stuff I ever saw! I don't know the name of it...she's all time trying new recipes. I took a tiny nibble, to make them all think I was eating, while talking....& later threw it away................reluctantly. But, the thing is, I did it!!!! I fixed carrots for supper (with other things), & only ended up eating THEM. I LOVE carrots! Connie & I ate a little popcorn. The box of doughnuts are still untouched! Right now, I'm eating just a little bacon.......very slowly. It's probably not good for me....but, couldn't find anything else, & thought it might be better than a doughnut.

Joanne...so glad you had a nice weekend. I know you were happy to see both your nephew & your son. Great that they have become friends! I wish my son could find a "good" friend. I'm afraid he's going to get around the wrong people. I'm sure I worry for nothing. He's done great for over a year now. :) He does need friends that would be a good influence & show him some attention. He loves his 2 little girls....but, needs more in his life.

Hi Happy Canuk.....Hang in there!! I made it 1 day. :D Not feeling better yet....wanting sugar. :s:

Hi Chrily....you hang in there, too!! I know it's going to be hard to not eat sugar, if you like it, with those young ones around. My son's 2 daughters are here every other week, & there's a lot of junk food, then. They're with their mother this week....so, I thought it would be the best time for me.

ok, ageoldie....you said you wouldn't be so long posting! ;)

Everyone have a good Tuesday........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%208/painfreeday1.jpg

Happy Canuk
04-05-2005, 09:50 AM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/siggysforadoption/woohoodancingmouse.gif

I made it through yesterday!!! The cereal I eat for breakfast has some cane sugar on it, but it has 10 gms. of fiber in it, and it is soooo good for you. It is called Optimum. You only need to eat 2/3 of a cup and you are pretty full.

Last night was hard, but I did it. Mostly it is just a habit, but I do have to eat something before I go to bed, because of the med I take for my heart.

Angel, I am glad you made it through as well. Now, today is a whole new day and I am sure we can do it all over again.

That would have been scary when nobody answered the darn phone. I guess you might have been unerved. Soon this fade into a horrible memory.

Chris - Hope your day went well for you yesterday as well. One hour at a time.

Well ladies, have a nice day.

chrily
04-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Just a quick post before I have to take the girls to school...I'll write more later but just had to tell you guys-

Great Job!!!

I did okay...snuck a nibble of a reese pieces. This is soo hard for me. Then I keep having these dizzy spells. I woke up twice last night being dizzy and feeling like vomiting. I'm not sure why. I do have a odd scratchy feeling in my throat too. My allergies act up at early in the spring so maybe that's it. It's happened 3-4 times this week. We'll see how she goes. Trying not to panic. This is how my whole allergy fiasco started out in the beginning. Panic is my middle name. It's kind of scary when you get that dizzy and light-headed...esp. with kids. It did let up the other day when I took my allergy pills so that's why I'm guessing its allergy related.

OOPS...gotta go. Time to scoot the kiddies out to the van.

~chris

Khewes
04-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Wow. Computer crashed and I lost all my bookmarks. Took me a while to find my way back here. Nice to see so many new faces.

Kim

Happy Canuk
04-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi Kim, nice to see you back. How are you enjoying your new home? Isn't that frustrating when the old computer dies and you lose everything. That has now happened to me a time or two, but really I have nothing that needs to be backed up. Just a ton of graphics, and I can always go shopping for those :lol:

Chris - glad you made it through the day as well. So far so good for today as well. If it weren't for those darn meds I have to take (some with food at non meal times) and some on an empty stomach. Keeps me very busy.

Joanne D
04-05-2005, 07:23 PM
If you guys are cutting sugar, don't you have to cut the sugar veggies like carrots,peas beets and corn?On most diets, some people do have some dizzy spells and feelings of hunger. That is the time to grab a healthy snack.
I worked out in the yard for 2 hours today.I will be hurting tonight. I am trying to get my flower garden going. I don't try for veggies anymore. The darn squirrels eat them up.They ate up a bunch of my flowers this fall before they could bloom.
I have been straying off tract with my eating this week..Not good!I need to stay right on tract this month .MOTIVATION EVERYONE!
Hello everybody...Joanne

chrily
04-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi Kim...Don't know if I know you or not.... :o Sorry to hear about the crashing computer. Mine did that and we had to redo everything. I lost it all and had to wait for a recovery disk in the mail. It did take me awhile to find my way back here but I was lost without these girls.

Doing okay without sugar today, I thought until I ate some french fries. I forgot that they were a really high glycemic food. Now I'll have to remember its on the FORBIDDEN list. Whenever I eat them, I have the jitters for so long afterwards...esp. if I eat them and drink diet pop.

Anyhow...gotta go. Tonight is Kayla's first night of swimming lessons. She's all excited and I have to get dinner on the table for her and the rest of the troops. Talk to you all later.

~chris

Happy Canuk
04-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Chris, as long as you eat a high Glycemic food with a low, it comes out to be medium :lol: I am on a low Glycemic diet and today for lunch I had 3 oz of tuna in tomato, 1/2 c corn, 1 slice ww bread (toasted) 1 oz lowfat cheese. Mix the tuna and corn together, put on the toasted bread, and top with cheese. Broil. Really good.

For supper, I had hamburger mixed with onion and grated carrots and egg, and then put on the George Forman Grill. Serviced with a lettuce salad. I had a Blackberry Yougurt sweetened with Splenda for dessert (50 calories).

Because I have to eat something when I take my 3:30 med, I had a piece of wwbread with 1 TBSP peanut butter.

Had just cereal for breakfast (10 grms fiber in 2/3 of cup) and a piece of fruit.

All in all not a bad day.

Happy Canuk
04-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Maybe it would be a good idea for us all to write out our daily menu and post it. It will keep us more accountable. Starting with breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. It would be worth a try. What do you all think.

chrily
04-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Anne, I think that's a good idea. Just one question...do we post what we are going to eat for the day or post after we've eaten for the day. I like the idea of posting what our "plans" are. That will keep m on track....

You sound like my dad. When he goes to a fast-food restaurant, he mixes regualar pop with diet. He says the diet cancels out the calories.... :lol: :s: :lol: uhh hummm....

Good night ladies. I gotta get to bed or the kiddies won't have a mom to get them ready for school in the a.m.

Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.

~chris

Happy Canuk
04-06-2005, 01:17 AM
We'll wait until Charlotte let's us know which way she would like to do it. Then we can decide. I just don't know in advance sometimes :lol:

chrily
04-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Okay Anne, that'll be great! I've been slacking off for so long. It's time to get back into the groove of things. I've been feeling so good with my RA that I don't want to go back to the feeling "yucky" and tired. I've been really fatigued lately and I'm not sure if its from slipping backwards with my eating or the lack of doing any "good" exercise.

Today I tried out my cardio salsa dvd. Oh! Was that fun! Of course I only got 25 min. into it...Nicole got irritated with me and kind of interrupted the workout.

I'm planning on staying home for the day and getting some stuff done.
I'd like to get some more stuff shoved in some boxes and out of the way. I'm slimming down my stock... :lol: My sister is planning on a garage sale in June. Fine time to make some money and part my ways with alot of this stuff I don't use. And of course there is always LAUNDRY to do. YUCK! I'll survive though. It's all in the attitude. :)

Have a happy day! I'll check back in a while to see if there is anymore posts about our food plans.

~chris

Happy Canuk
04-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Chris, I was thinking about this, and we can do it either way. You can post what you are planning on eating and I will post WHAT I ate. Charlotte can do which ever one she pleases.

Two day and doing well. Test today, as I am going out for lunch :dizzy: Everytime I get started, this eating out business interfers with my diet. Going to ABC, so hope they have a nice salad I can munch on.

It is hard with kids, but you can do it. I know it is easy to grab whatever is available. Make up some stuff ahead and it will be all ready for you. That is what my daughter does. On the weekend she cooks up a few different dishes and puts them in the fridge. Then, she is always prepared. She has lost 75 pounds and has done pretty good at keeping them off. When they start to creep back on, back she goes to get rid of them - PRONTO!!! She is my inspiration now.

Hope you have a nice day. I am washing cupboards out today, and getting rid of all the bits and pieces that seem to accumulate. Washing clothes is not a big chore for me, as there are only two of us. I have always had my washer and dryer on the main floor, so no stair climbing. That is the worst for me, especially when my knees hurts.

chrily
04-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Anne,
Sounds good. Well so far today...I've done 3 loads of laundry. Cleaned the kitchen, except for mopping. Loaded 3 big boxes with stuff I'm going to sell and threw away some toys that aren't looking too good. I have ribs in the crockpot. My bedroom is clean. The family room is clean. I'm on a roll. I even got some exercise in. I haven't sat down since 10:30 this a.m. I feel pretty good. Maybe exercising in the morning is what I need to do.

So far today:
Breakfast:Honeycomb cereal ( I know...sugar, sugar..)
1 % milk....1 cup

Lunch: 1 Homemade enchilada

Snack: Healthy Creations Ice Cream bar (fat-free, sugar-free)

Dinner will be ribs...only 1. And a salad with balsamic vinagrette, bacon bits, slivered almonds.

That'll probably be it for the day, if I don't have another snack. If I snack it's going to be celery with some fat-free cream cheese.

~chris

Happy Canuk
04-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Ok, good. So far today, I have had

Breakfast

2/3 Cup Optimum Cereal (10gm fiber)
1 orange

Lunch

ABC Country Restaurant Chicken Quesdilla
(and boy it was good)

Need a small snack with midday pill
Yougurt

Supper

Will be Sole Filets
Salad
Apple Sauce

Snack

when I take my last med of the night

1 slice ww bread
1 Tbsp. Peanut Butter

Angel-lover
04-07-2005, 10:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/HELLOTINYGIRL.gif

Everybody....
Sorry about being gone. We've had a couple of days of bad weather! I've never seen so much rain...outside & IN!!! It was pretty today, though & supppose to have a beautiful weekend.

Hi Kim!!! I've missed you!!! I decided you moved on. I know we get a little slow here, sometimes. But, we always bounce back! So glad that wasn't the case!

Hi Joanne...Well, I don't know about the sugar in some veggies & fruits...but, my Dr recommended a lot of carrots & carrot juice! I do know white potatoes, eggplant, citrus fruits, & CORN (Happy Canuk!) is bad for RA! I don't think you have RA, do you Happy Canuk? Those of us that do, need to stay away from the corn. Seems all my favorite foods are a no no.
On the good side 4 DAYS NOW!!! The doughnuts are still untouched!!!

You know, Chrily...I got real dizzy & nauseated a couple of nights ago! I was up late on the computer & started to turn it off. I got real dizzy & got to the bathroom, cuz I thought I'd throw up. Never did, but thought I'd never get to sleep. I've been alright, since, only a mild headache from time to time.

Happy Canuk...I suppose I'll have to post what I ate at the end of the day. My schedule is so hectic, I don't know what I'm going to eat, or when. I don't like to cook, either...so, not very creative with foods. My goal is more toward helping my situation with RA, than with weight loss. Although, I sure hope I lose!!

Today:

Breakfast....Coffee (decaf)

Lunch...Met with DH at a Mexican restaurant....Chimychunga (spelling?) First time to try it. Didn't eat much of the wrap...not a lot of any of it. I drunk water.

Snack...1/2 Atkins bar (sugar-free, but expensive)

Supper....Cheeseburger. Just a little mayonnaise, mustard, onion & cheese. I know, I know....white bread!

Drunk lots of water all day.

I'm getting hungry talking about all this food! Talk to you all tomorrow!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/gimme205.gif

Happy Canuk
04-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Breakfast: Cereal and a small Banana

Lunch : Peanut butter sandwich (stoneground wholewheat bread)

Supper: BQ Chicken (from Costco) Salad
1 English Muffin
Diet Jello

Snack: 1 small yogurt (The Source - made with Splenda)
1 cracker with cream cheese (compliments of Costco)
1 very small orange wedge (also compliments of Costco :lol: )

I will have one more small snack before bed, when I take my last med. Have to take it with food. Trying to spread it out.

It is easier for me to put down what I have already eaten, as I don't plan ahead all that much. I do like to cook, so that is at least a plus.

Chris- hope your day went well and that you were able to stay on track.

Joanne - I have been trying to walk more. I haven't done too badly, but my lower back is yelling at me, almost screaming. I have to learn to do things in moderation.

Hope you all have a good day.

chrily
04-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Today's plan:

breakfast: Cereal with milk...(2 %-all the corner store had)

lunch: Salad with shrimp or steak pieces.

snack: celery with laughing cow cheese wedge (SB friendly and yummy)

dinner: ???????

snack: sugar free popsicle

That's what I'm shooting for and a TON of water. We'll see how I can do today. It's weird. I did eat some candy at work yesterday and I'm achier this morning. Don't know if its a coincidence but...

Girls need to get to school. Check back in a bit.

~chris

Joanne D
04-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Like some of you I will start posting my food intake at the end of the day.. I think this is a GREAT idea..I start good at breakfast and get side tracted as the day goes on. Maybe this will help all of us..Maybe we should also put down how much exercise we do .
I wish some of that rain you all are getting would hit my yard. It rained all around me yesterday,not on. My daughter said it rained in N/F all day!!!I live a mile from the gulf.I think it just blew right over me. It rained buckets a few miles west of me..I plan to walk today..
Talk to you later...Joanne

Wifie
04-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Hello all, I am so happy I found this site. Unfortunately I have RA as well as overweight. I only found out I have RA a year ago and still have lots to learn. I have been using all the alternatives herbs, vitamins and do take painkillers. I have been struggling with my weight since the birth of my 15 year old. I have 3 children. Last year on Valentines day I found out my H was having an emotional affair with a coworker. My world crashed and burned. I then lost 54lbs without trying on the infidelity diet. Since then my H and I are reconciling.
During the winter I gained back 23 lbs. I have been unable to get back on the atkins which is easy for me to do. This is my 5th day on the first level. I weigh 239lbs and my goal is to reach 170lbs by the end of summer. Excercise is so difficult for me I have a nuroma( pinched nerve in my foot) which never heals and of course all the other aches and pains that go along with RA. I am hoping to learn other methods of coping. Opps I have to go pick up my daughter. Thanks for listening Wifie

chrily
04-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Welcome wifie...
I'm on my 6th year of RA but didn't get the official diagnosis until 3 yrs ago. It does get better and easier. How old are you? I'm 33...well I'll be 34 on Monday. I won't lie, RA has really changed my life. There is alot of stuff I can't do but not a whole lot. THe last few months have been my best so far. I'm taking Methotrexate and the occasional tylenol or advil. I'm weened off Bextra, which after all the hubbub, I guess is good. Exercise (even if its just a little bit helps) and a healthy diet. I didn't know until the other day from other memebers (Charlotte, Joanne, and Anne) that sugar is a big RA enemy.
I've been doing SB and feel so much better. I started at 223 (after a year on prednisone) and am down to 195. My ultimate goal is 155. I think I'll be comfortable there. I've been as low as 119 (high school) but everyone says I looked anorexic.

Just keep posting with us and chiming in with any questions or whatever. This is a great bunch and will help you with anything they can.

~chris

chrily
04-08-2005, 05:34 PM
OOH! Thought of something else. Stress makes RA pain worse, so try not to get too stressed out. It's hard not to get discouraged but its important to take it easy and relax when you need to.

~chris

Joanne D
04-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Welcome Wifie..The South Beach eating plan is better health wise. Check it out. You can get a small hand book for about 5 bucks at Walmart.
Chrily-What you weigh is up to you and no one else. How you feel and look in your mirrow is the answer. Don't listen to outsiders.
My eating so far today was good.
Breakfast-2 turkey bacon,1/4 cup eggbeater,1slice FF cheese, 1c cantalope
Lunch-3 oz. chicken breast 1 oz. chicken leg (all skin removed)1/2 cup FF cottage cheese
1/2 apple
Dinner- 5 oz. bnroiled catfish
1+ cup okra and tomatoes, mushrooms.
Water, water,water all day
I walked 3 1/2+ miles

Happy Canuk
04-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Well, now it is my turn.

Breakfast - cereal with 1 percent milk
1/2 orange

Lunch - 1 raisin, cinnamon English Muffin
with low fat Laughing Cow

Snack - with 3:30 med. 2 whole grain crackers with small slice of cheddar cheese

Dinner - Salad, with 1 egg, chicken, ham, cheese, tomato and all the salad stuff.

1 Tapioca Cup

Now, welcome Wifie. I don't have RA. I have OA and Fibromyalgia, and like you, it is almost impossible to exercise. Walking isn't a great pleasure because my foot hurts (FM) on the heel and sole. I have learned over the years to deal with the chronic pain, and I am now med free. I don't even take anything for sleep, since they changed my meds for Atrial Fibrillation.

Come join us in writing down what you eat in a day, if you like.

Happy Canuk
04-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Starting a new thread. DON'T POST HERE!!!

Wifie
04-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. I am 50 years. I have had my share of stress in the last year, but nevertheless winter is over and I'm so thankful.

I have yet to learn how to get the weightloss bar but I started to seriously diet this pass week from monday. Today I got on the scale and yippy! I lost 5lbs. Now I have 60 more to go. I have been managing my RA with painkillers and alternatives vitimans and herbs. I was treated like a guinnie pig by the doctors. They gave me all sorts of pills that in the end the side effects were to much for me. One thing I learned is the inmune system has to be built up and strengthened. Sugar is the worst thing for the inmune system. I'm glad I cut it out. Its so hard with the kids D 9 S 15 and H who after 26 years of marriage still wears the same size in all his clothes. He has never stuggled with weight gain.

Last year I lost 60lbs. Unfortunately durring the winter I started baking again and that set me off into the land of no return. So I gained back 25lbs. It really angers me because I could have probably reached my goal or come close to it. Oh well got to keep going. It's so easy to get depressed with RA I look at people do everyday things like walking and feel so sad that even something so natural is a task for me. Then there is the lack of energy which I have a hard time accepting.
All the same I'm not giving in to RA or my weight gain. Thanks and love, Wifie

Happy Canuk
04-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Wifie please go to our new thread and post. It is located here

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56108