Old 03-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #8

Jean beat me to 14 so guess it is my turn to start a new one!

Jean: No, the one that moved was a single girl with a boyfriend. My problem with her was the washer/faucet leaking thing and her cousin throwing lit cig butts onto my deck which burned a hole in my patio chair cushions. She was a doll about it though and did say she would replace it, but it was a set I bought with the cushions and you couldn't just get a replacement you would have had to replace all the cushions and the umbrella. I have always had raving success with the fantasy fudge recipe with the marshmallow cream. I make nothing else and have had it only one time not set up and that was years ago. I make milk choc fudge and can't keep it in the house. Because of the kids being gone, I kind of miss the rice krispie treats, peanut butter cookies and such I would make for them. Course, I am not going to be down to 200 by the end of the year if I start making them for T! I lost another 2 lbs so I am on cloud nine and don't want to muck it up. Last weekend was the first weekend in a eon that I stayed OP for the whole weekend. I am planning a strategy for traveling too so I can stay within guidelines. We always would take honey roasted cashews, chips, cheetos, chocolate candy and the like to munch on in the car besides full sugar soft drinks. I am going to take some diet drinks, water, precut fruit, bananas, chex mix in individual baggies so I don't overeat then try and eat a salad at lunch and something grilled for dinner on Thur. Of course, my grandson will want whatever I am snacking on so I will have to be sure and take extra! We are looking forward to leaving.

Jack has his PLC seminar today and tomorrow so he got to wear jeans and a golf shirt instead of a uniform to work today as it is as the Alan Bradley company. Bad thing is it starts later so dinner will be later. I have to adjust eating!

Today is clean the downstairs day and I will do the sheets tomorrow so they are nice and fresh when we get home. I have two sets, but the set I got with the bed in a bag are deep pocket and uncomfortable because the fitted sheet is too big. I need to buy some more, but again I want to buy a new bed in a bigger size. I know you all think I do nothing but clean as I am always seeming to say I am either cleaning, shampooing or the like. I guess I do clean a lot, but I am so paranoid someone will show up here and the house not be clean, which is ridiculous for several reasons, 1, my dd is a slob and her house is ALWaYS a total tornado mess (maybe she is rebelling against her too clean mom, what ya think???), 2 I have no friends here save one and she is clinically depressed and I rarely see her and 3 I have no other family that lives here. I mean, I stress out if the UPS or FEDEX man is going to come to the door and I might have a shoe out of place or something and they don't even come in!!!!! Dear sweet Jack after all these years just puts up with it and as I don't nag too much about putting stuff in it's place (which drives me absolutely bonkers btw) he just goes with the flow. I know it bothers him that his wife is a jack in the box though. For example, take this morning. I got up with him, came downstairs and did my daily chores (empty dishwasher, feed pets, start load laundry) I took my meds, got out dinner meat, then organized on paper everything we need to do to go to Indiana from cleaning litter box to what has to be packed in the car. I made a bag for the dog with his stuff to go to the kennel, typed a list of contact numbers for the kennel, picked up the rugs and dog toys off the floor to clean, got water and sat down with a new book. Even though the book is really GOOD, I only sat about 10 minutes and I was up doing this and planning on starting to clean. I do that every single day. If it is not cleaning, it is preparing stuff to prepare dinner, like chopping veggies and the like. I just can't sit still. In my mind, there is always something I should be doing instead of wasting time sitting. It is totally ridiculous, but I have been that way for years and years. My sister and dd complain that I can get things done because I don't work outside the home, but the truth is, when I worked, I would get up half hour earlier that anyone else and make sure the house was straigthened completely, laundry started for the day and the like. That is beside the fact, that I NEVER EVER EVER go to bed with the house cluttered. I check every room before I go to bed to make sure it is organized etc. The only room I never fool with is Jack's office and that is a promise I made him when we moved here because I used to clean it every day and throw stuff away he did't want thrown away. When I had the job down here, I would get up at 4:30 AM, straighten everything, put away dishes etc like I do now, shower and dress for work, take Jack to work, go straight to work and get there around 7:15 though I didn't start work until 8 I would start working, take my lunch hour at 2, go get Jack and he would take me back to the office, get off at 5 pm, come home and make dinner, clean it up, finish up drying the laundry, folding and putting it away (Jack would put it in the dryer for me when he got home) and before I went to bed the house would be spotless and next day do it all over again. I would spend the weekend doing the weekly cleaning and never waiver from that. I know they never believed me, but it's true. My dd comes over ever Thur with T for dinner and she says it is because we get to see Thomas that way, but the truth is I think the fact the house is clean and someone cooks for her and the only thing she does is naps on the couch is the real reason. She thinks her mom is a freak. Funny thing I don't judge anyone else by how I judge myself. I can go into her mess and though I want to pick up etc, it is because I feel sorry for her not having the time and not because I am uncomfortable. I am just weird!

Well, this is definitely not getting the downstairs done and I need to eat breakfast and get on the treadmill today

Have a great day ladies

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:23 AM   #2  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers!
It's another cold, windy, and cloudy day in my corner of the world. The rain/snow mix did not happen yesterday and I was thankful for that. They are still talking about it happening off and on during the rest of the week; I hope it is more "off" than on! I have the card club stuff put away for another season. We don't play late any more so I was in bed at my usual time.

All of a sudden I am getting pop ads . . . what's the deal? They sure are annoying!

"Gma" -- You are definitely the " of Clean!" I would think you would be pencil thin just because you always seem to be on the move. Me, I could sit and watch someone else clean all day long. I must admit though, there is a certain satisfaction in knowing that your house is clean and just the way you want it. This weekend I cleaned some corners that haven't had much attention during the school year and I would have been embarrassed to have anyone else see them. In visiting with others who stayed home when the kids were little then went back to work, they all seem to hit the high spots and hope for the best. There is a limit to how much one can do in the hours they are not at the workplace or sleeping. It's the same way with cooking -- I don't like to cook so anything fast and easy is ok with me. Someday I will be organized . . . probably when I retire!

Not much else is newsy so guess I'd better get busy. Have a great "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #3  

Morning girls. last day for me to post until Tuesday.

Jean: You are on your own here so don't get too lonely. I will be back on Monday night sometime. I am trying to get everything done today as we are leaving around 5 AM.

I got T's Easter stuff and the Captain Underpants Doll is cute. I think he will like everything. I am already thinking ahead because of his June birthday and Christmas. I am thinking of getting him a portable DVD player for trips. We have one they use, but it is a couple years old and the ones out now are tiny and ours is much bigger and heavier.

Well, not much news so I better get started on the day

Faye
Old 03-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #4  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers!
The sun is shining but it is a chilly 37 degrees outside. There is NO wind for a change so it will seem warmer by this afternoon. For some reason I was in a real funk yesterday and didn't accomplish much of anything except a couple of cat naps . Today I've got some energy! The dishwasher has run and been unloaded, the washer and dryer are going, I've bagged up the garbage, and cleaned out the litter boxes. I had to find a sub to switch days with me to work in the hospital gift shop and got that done. Next on my list is to sort through some clothes in the spare bedroom.

"Gma" -- I hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy your holiday with your family! I have to at "Captain Underpants" -- I will have to look for that one! I'm sure that T will love everything you bought for him! Have a safe trip!

Not much else that I can think of right now! Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 03-23-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #5  

Talking

Happy "Good" Friday All!
The sun is out but it is windy and cold in my neighborhood. We drove up to MIL's summer place and that lake is still frozen over. DH wanted to get the old sliding doors out for the garbage haulers to pick up. She wanted him to haul them to the landfill and it's just as cheap, and easier on his body, to have someone else do it. The new doors look nice but have a major clean up to do once the weather warms up.

Stopped at Penneys on the way home and they are having major sales. The clerk talked me into opening a Penneys charge account and I could get another 30% off any purchase all day long. So DH got clothes, I bought grandkid clothes, and new towels for DH's bathroom. I bypassed clothes for me -- I'm not into short/sleeveless tops and nothing else caught my eye. I need a new robe and there were none to be found. I wish I would have had my window measurements along and I would have ordered vertical blinds for all 3 bedrooms. I swore I would never have another Penneys card after my last experience but guess today's savings was worth it. This time my limit is $2000 so I must have come "up" in their requirement standards. Hah!

Hope you all have a nice day doing something you enjoy.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:32 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Arrow I'm BACK

WOW I got on. A friend that posts on another thread notified me that 3fc changed servers so I gave it a try and voila!

I haven't read what I have missed so please do forgive my lack of knowledge of what is going on.

I want to wish every one a wonderful MONDAY tomorrow and hope you had a great day this day.

Type at you later ~ I hope. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:36 AM   #7  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
If I could only bottle Ian's energy, I could be rich! We went to Saturday night church so I spent this morning getting dinner put together. It has been a nice day and warm enough to be outside without jackets. The kids played with the balls and sidewalk chalk outside, came in long enough to eat, and wanted to go right back outside again. Our yard is big and they like to just run after each other. Neither one of them has a very big yard to that's the first place they want to go when they are here together.

Maggie -- What a nice surprise to see your post tonight! "Gma" is in Indiana until Tuesday night so I was surprised when the post notice came through. I sure hope that the new server will allow you unlimited access to the site! We have missed you here!

I go back to school tomorrow and need to figure out what I'm going to wear. It's supposed to hit 70 degrees but I'm betting the heat has been off at school and the building will be cold. Guess I will go for the layered look!

Have a nice evening and a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-28-2005, 02:38 AM   #8  
Thin Within

Arrow Back Later

Hi Jean! The server let me on again but it is slow as molasses. Maybe it will be better when they get it all fixed up and running. I am going to bed so I won't say anymore but I am glad to be back and that it is nice to see you here. Hopefully I can come back tomorrow.

Nighters.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:47 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's been a beautiful day in my corner of the world and is 73 degrees as I type. I love it! It was soooooo hard to get up and get going this morning! I'm fighting a cold and really didn't want to go to school in the worst way. I had no patience with a couple of students who like to play dumb (dumber than they really are I should say). I finally said I'd be glad to help but I had things to do and when they felt like being serious I'd be back to help. One looked kind of surprised and the other just shrugged his shoulders . . . he did 2 math problems in 42 minutes. I'd like to cheerfully strangle him!

Maggie -- I hope you continue to be able to get in here!

DH is out working on the farm . . . the farmers are heading out to the fields in this nice weather. I should think about putting together yesterday's leftovers for supper.

Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow Howdy

Good evening folks. It has cleared up now and stopped raining. Tomorrow is the day we take Ragg Mopp to his groomer and he comes out smelling so good. We got a flat of the best strawberries we have had so far this year. I am going to de stem them and freeze lots of them whole. Great in smoothies later. Some I will slice with some splenda on them and others are great with balsamic vinegar. I love strawberries. We bought these from a gal sitting under an almond tree at the corner of the grove out in the courntry. They were grown about 90 miles down in the valley from here.

JEAN our schools around here are out this week but we don't have to make up any snow days. What in the world do thise lazy kids you have to teach think they are going to do for a JOB or is that a foreign word to them. They can understand "welfare" good enough I guess. Enjoy your left overs. We have some of our best meals made out of leftovers. Sometimes I think I should cook and then make other things out of it.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:12 PM   #11  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
I've had my cat nap and I should be washing some dishes sitting in the sink but they will be there later, I'm sure. I've got this dry hacky cough that is driving me nutty . . . I only cough once in awhile but when I start I can't stop until I drink some ice water. I feel fine so it is aggravating.

School was better today; I talked the algebra teacher into reviewing yesterday's lesson because I had several students tell me they didn't get it but didn't ask any questions in class, of course. My "problem" student was absent today -- guess he got tired of teachers nagging him yesterday. He had a whole week to get caught up on assignments and didn't do a one for anybody.

I got a haircut after school and she cut it too short. I'm at the end of a permanent and I don't think there is anything left. I'll know by 6 AM tomorrow! It's a good thing hair grows!

Maggie -- Well, our school has designed a charter school program whereas a student can take 5 years to get through high school. Supposedly it is designed for the student who wants to further their education and will take some dual credited classes between the high school and the college. As it is, the students who take 5 years to get through because they failed a class or two, dropped out for a time, or for whatever reason, do not count on the state's tally as having graduated because they didn't do it in 4 years. It has something to do with the number of students, in a class, that begin their freshman year and then graduated 4 years later. The main goal for many of these kids is to work at the local packing plants and buy a car. They are in for a rude awakening in the "real" world, that's for certain. We haven't had any fresh strawberries yet -- that sounds good!

Not much else is newsy. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:24 AM   #12  

Early morning girls! I have that crud again so I am up coughing etc. I think it is partly from the fact my ds and dil have 3 cats and her sister was staying at their house and has 3 too and I am allergic to cats. I put up with the runny nose and sneezing with Butterscotch, but all of them were too much for my system.

The holiday and trip was awful. My dd acted like a royal jackass the whole time, insulted her father and I several times, told complete strangers she went to dinner with private financial information about US she was privy to and according to my son, made us sound like lowlifes, berated and haranged my grandson the whole time and caused everyone to be miserable. On top of that, I had to try and handle a situation arising with my sister regarding her dh who has MS. He is to the point where he is going to have to go to a nursing home and she is a mess about the whole thing. His mind is going (the neighbors found him wandering the neighborhood in t-shirt and shorts on his scooter last week while she was working and the temp was about 30) and his body is like cement as far as movement and the like. Her son, who has a drinking problem got loaded big time on Easter Sunday and fell apart talking about his biological dad who was a real piece of work and 20 years ago committed suicide with this young man's gun when he was only 16. It was a pretty depressing trip and I am glad I am home.

Maggie: Great to see you post. Jean and I get lonely putting up with just each other, don't we Jean?????

Jean: Sounds like you have been busy, especially in the department store!

Well, I really need to try and see if I can go back to sleep. I am back to the recliner again as I couch constantly if I am laying down.

Faye
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Arrow Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Ragg Mopp looks pounds lighter today. Yesterday he got his under coat combed away and he shrunk. Little scudder has decided the great place to nap is my holding him. Well I don't want to sit around holding a puppy all day. It is great to cuddle that little fur ball when I am taking a break though but by then he is in a playing mode and wants me to play tug of war with his rope thingie.

JEAN those kids have such high goals set don't they realize that in a few years that plant will close and then where will they be. What happened to the days when kids aspired to be Doctors or Oceanogifers and set their sights higer than to work in a packing plant and be a scientist. The days are gone, sadly, when the home folks backed up the teaching folks and kept the tykes in school and did their homework when it was sent hom.

FAYE I am so sorry your holiday didn't turn out well. That may mean you will stay home next year eh? I know you didn't raise your daughter to act like that. What is her agenda? Does she realize what she is doing to the family?

Have a wonderful Humpday and I'll be back . . . .

Last edited by Maggie; 03-30-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:06 PM   #14  

Happy Wednesday, Flowers!
It's been a "blah" kind of day here. . .very windy and a few sprinkles of rain off and on.

I can't believe that April will be here on Friday and we change the clocks on Saturday. It seems like I just reset them all.

I have bell choir practice tonight -- one more after this one and we're done for the season.

"Gma" -- It's good to see that you are back home safe and sound! I'm sorry your trip was a disaster . . . even though your daughter is an adult, wouldn't you just like to smack her sometimes? Didn't she want to go in the first place and decided to make everyone else miserable along with her? I feel sorry for T in the whole fiasco. I hope you get over the "crud" - I've picked up a cough and don't feel bad with it, just annoyed.

Maggie -- Most of the students I talked about are from the Mexican, Asian, and Sudanese families that have moved into town to work at the packing plants. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much hope for the plant to shut down: they are nonunion, pay better wages than these people get anywhere else, the cost of living is relatively low, and they just added on to the plant plus bought a city street to close off for more parking lot space. They run 2 and sometimes 3 shifts 24/7. We have one Sudanese girl who goes to school all day, works the night shift at the pack, is married, and pregnant. I think the newspaper article said she was 17 -- what a life! There are a few who do want to go to college and I have no doubt will be able to get there.

Not much is newsy from my corner of the world but I wanted to check in and see what you all were doing today.

Have a nice evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:58 AM   #15  

morning girls! I have been up coughing since 3 so will probably go back to bed when I finish this.

Maggie: My dd has this opinion that once she legally became an adult she can say and do anything just because she IS an adult. Unfortunately, she doesn't understand the concept of being an adult means showing some restraint, etc. I absolutely did NOT raise the little snot to be this way. It is getting out of hand and it didn't take long for her to make everyone around her mad in one way or another. She is a selfish, self-absorbed, cruel and vicious young woman and is probably not about to change. With that being said, we all have to deal with her in the way we each feel we can.

Jean: My sister was saying that where she lives in CA that it is overrun with Hispanics because they buy or rent a house and 4 or more full families in it. She said she cannot afford to buy where they live and would have to move out to like Corona etc to be able to afford housing, but they can because they share the expense. I guess the Hispanics are causing a lot of overcrowding in the schools because of these duplicate living conditions and the moms all stay home and stay pregnant. She said they also do not discipline their children so there are a lot of problems with discipline in the schools. I know that when we lived in New Mexico and Tx we found the same thing. Culturally, they seem not to discipline their children much. I know you have high schoolers, but does this seem to be true with the groups you have too? We have small groups of them living around the city, but I find they do let their kids run wild in restaurants, malls etc around here.

Well, I guess I should clean up my breakfast stuff and try and get another couple hours sleep. I slept in the recliner last night and woke with a stiff neck from sitting up all night with my head turned to the side. It stinks to be old!

Have a great day ladies!

Faye