Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #1  

Default I just want to eat

I have been struggling with my weight for a long time and have tried many diets. But for the last year I haven't tried much and have gained about 20 lbs. Starting today I am writing down everything I eat. I get burned out doing that but I have to do it to make myself accountable for what I'm putting in my mouth. So instead of eating, I'm sitting here reading different posts on this board and hoping that I can hold off until dinner time before eating again. I've had fresh fruit today and a 6" Subway sub and some popcorn but I'm still wanting to eat, eat, eat! ARGH!

Since reading the posts here has helped I thought I'd let you all know a little about me. I'm a 33 year old mom of 2 girls from MD. I am at my all time highest weight, even more than when I was pregnant which makes me very sad. I really want to lose weight but just can seem to stop myself from binging, especially at night when everyone else is asleep. Thanks for letting me vent!
sahm2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:32 PM   #2  
jvj
Will get there!

S/C/G: 267/262/145

Height: 5'6"

I hear what you're saying - other than not having children, I could have written that post myself!! I always remember not wanting to binge when I was slim. Why on earth do I want to do so now when at 115kg, I really can't afford to?? Does anyone have any techniques to resist bouts of bingeing?
jvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I don't know if it will help, but I find that if I get rid of all the "bad" foods I have, and keep only healthy foods (fruits and vegetables and stuff) around, then even if I have an urge to eat, I can't do too much damage to my diet. Snacking all day on carrots or bananas, or yogurt for something creamy is still lower calorie (and better for you) than snacking on cookies or chocolate or something like that.

If I have junk food sitting around, I can't resist it and I will eat eat eat! Then feel really guilty about it later. But I don't feel as guilty if I snuck in an extra cup of yogurt or even an extra Lean Pockets or something.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #4  

Thanks for the replys. It just seems to help to have somewhere to go to talk to people who understand. I ate a few crackers and had a cup of decaf coffee to tide me over before dinner. Should be ready soon - boneless skinless chicken breast and rice. Today is day one of trying (again) to lose weight - I only hope that I can stick with it long enough to see some progress. At this point I'd be thrilled to lose 20 lbs. I'd like to be able to fit into my shorts from last summer and not have to buy a bigger size.

The only real junk in the house right now is ice cream and I"m usually too cold at night to eat that! LOL But I do need to stock up on some healthier snacks. I do have those popsecret 100 calorie popcorn bags. Thanks again for this place to share and get support!
sahm2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #5  

I love to eat too. I just want to shovel it into my face until I feel full. A part of my brain really does seem to think that more = better.

I've lately started to eat really big salads. I start with some of that packed salad mix, then add thawed frozen peas, sliced radishes and carrots, sometimes sliced beets, raisins, celery, and/or cucumbers. Then I add a few tablespoons of reduced calorie dressing, and crumble up a few whole wheat crackers on top.

The end result does have a few calories, yes, but not compared to the bulk of what I am eating. Just the fact that it takes me a while to mow through this creation really does help satisfy my "got eat and eat big!" urges.

I don't know that this would help you, but you might want to give it a shot.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:06 AM   #6  

Two things that really help are: Eating a well-balanced diet (plenty of vegetables and fruits, not just starch & protein) and eating every 3 to 4 hours. If you keep yourself NOURISHED with a variety of healthy food, and if you eat 3 planned meals and 2 or 3 planned snacks, you'll be less likely to overeat calorie-wise yet you'll feel more satisfied. You won't experience those blood-sugar lows that scream for food, and your metabolism will stay revved to boot. It's not a cure-all, but it's a practical strategy to use while you work on the mental aspects of overeating.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote