Old 03-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Smile another newbie

Hi there! I posted on a couple other forums around here, but I just found this one!

I'm Jessica, I'm 22 and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I was chubby as a child, thinned out through puberty, but started gaining (about 10 lbs a year) when I was around 14. I got up to about 180 at one point (I'm 5'4") and went on a major diet one summer during college, and lost 30 lbs (down to 150). However, going back to eating in a dining hall at a college dorm sure didn't help me keep it off! After graduation I moved out to Providence to start graduate school, and when I got out here I was at an all-time high of somewhere around 185 (probably a little more).

I have been dieting and exercising since I moved here in August, and I'm now plateaued around 158 or so (have been since like December), although I've been building some muscle and losing some inches. My goal is to get to around 130 and/or fit into a size 8. Right now my size 14 pants are falling down, so that's a good sign!

Anyway, I'm hoping some of you other 20-somethings are in similar situations to me. My boyfriend and I live together and we try to cook healthy, but we both have the awful habit of eating when we're bored, and we both have a major sweet tooth! Luckily, he is my workout buddy and motivates me to go to the gym.

I'm glad to meet you all! Any other Rhode Islanders around?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #2  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Hi paperclippy and welcome! Congrats on your 27 lb. loss so far - that's really awesome! I'm about as far from RI as possible... Western Oregon. Boredom eating? Sweet tooth? Oh, heck yeah, that's me! Hope to see you post often.
~ Jen
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Welcome Jessica!! You have been doing a great job on your weight loss so far, now just keep your motivation up and I'm sure you'll reach your goals. I am in a similar position living with my boyfriend and I prepare mostly all the meals so they are healthy but then after dinner when he suggests going out for ice cream is when I get in trouble! I used to live in Vermont so I can identify being a New Englander but now down in TX I can't deny that the weather is much better. And I know I'll be in a bathing suit sooner here than up north so that motivates me too. Good luck!!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzbabe
I used to live in Vermont so I can identify being a New Englander but now down in TX I can't deny that the weather is much better. And I know I'll be in a bathing suit sooner here than up north so that motivates me too. Good luck!!
Thanks! I actually just moved out here from Los Angeles, so getting used to the weather has been a challenge! I think this is the longest in my life I've ever gone without wearing flip-flops.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:07 AM   #5  
Niccole

Paperclippy-- good job and the weight loss so far!!!! Keep it up!!
My 14's are falling of me too-- I actually put on a pair of pants today that I hadn't been able to button in a long time-- and they actually fit!!!
Niccole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #6  

I think it's probably more of a shock to the system to move like you did from warm weather to land of the cold but then again, I haven't been through a Texas summer yet. I might be begging to go back East!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #7  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Lizzbabe: TX Summer! Woo EEE, you are in for a treat! It's going to be sooo hot! You will want to wear the least amount of clothing as possible! Thank God for Central Air!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #8  
PACKERS FAN!

Paperclippy, nice to meet you. Way to go with all you've accomplished so far. Don't give up hope. You can break this plateau!!

I totally hear you on eating when bored. That's when I eat too. We can break this habit. I know we can! =)
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #9  

spillthebeans...yet another reason to lose the rest of this weight so I won't scare anyone away by wearing the least amount of clothing possible!! Haha I bought my first bikini last year and am hoping to improve for this summer. It's pretty bad when we turn on the AC in the middle of February on a warm day.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:51 AM   #10  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Lizzbabe: congrats on buying a bikini, that is a accomplishment right there! I see that we are both at that same point, trying to lose these last ten pounds. I am finding that you really have to stay consistent, and these last ten are just not going to fall off, but if we keep it up, I KNOW we can manage to rid them. Keep at it Girl!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote