Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #1  
One day at a time

Exclamation I could just cry.....

I have been down the road of dieting for a long time. I suppose ever since I was 20 really. I am now 32 and I am at my heaviest! I used to think oh my 170 was bad but now I am 236. I suffer from depression which stems from an accident I had in 1993. That accident almost left me for dead and I have severe back and leg problems now. I know my weight does not help these issues any either. So it is not easy for me to do exercise. I can start it then after awhile my back starts giving some major trouble. Then I get depressed again cause I can not do the things I used to. It is like I am in a never ending tunnel of doom!

I have 2 small boys ages 7 and 4 that I would love to be able to run and play with. My husband is all for me to lose the weight. I had joined Weight Watchers but when I was able to go to the class there was no one there except me. So no support really. I thought about joining TOPS but there again by the time my husband gets home from work... if he has to work over I am unsure if I can make a commentment. Then there is curves that I would love to join. Again it would depend on if my hubby could get home in time for me to go and can my body take the machines? I just feel like it is hopeless! That I am always going to be FAT.

Please any support here would be great!
tkay90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:15 PM   #2  
gotta lose it!

Tina....you're not always going to be fat. You just have to find the things that work for you. Not everyone is the same, so we need different things. Start small....just drink water - no soda. Then maybe start walking for 15 mins, then build yourself up.
Just realize a few things...you didn't wake up this morning weighing 236, nor will you wake up tomorrow at 160. It will take some time. As long as the scale is going down, you are winning your battle. You are in my prayers & I'm cheering for you!
soon2Bfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hi Tina, don't give up, I'm sure you will find something that will help you and not be too much of a strain. I've been in a somewhat similar situation, in that I have lower back problems, and it can get pretty hard on certain exercises. Of course, I'm not sure if in your case this would be efficient, as I don't know the exact nature of your injuries, but I know that in my case, slowly building muscle has helped a lot to reduce the back pain, so perhaps after a while this would be your case too, and you'd feel better. Anyway - I hope that these "suggestions" will help:

- Walking. It may not seem "efficient enough", but as a starting point, it can already help a lot. Just 10 or 15 minutes at first, then gradually upping if your legs can keep the pace.
- Water exercises, perhaps? If there's a pool near where you live, I guess it may be worth the try. It shouldn't strain your back and legs too much, it can be an efficient type of exercise, and perhaps there even are classes that you can attend, too.

I hope that you'll soon find a type of exercise that works for you!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #4  
Learning to love ME!

((Hugs))! I'm sorry you're feeling so sad. I suffer from depression and I know when I feel sad or depressed, it's so overwhelming to do anything, much less take care of yourself. I'm taking medication for my depression, and it makes things a lot better (it might be worth talking to your doctor about it).

It's hard to fit in exercise when you have family obligations. Could you talk to your husband and tell him how important it is to you to exercise, and could you maybe do it in the morning before the boys are up? (That's what I had to do, but I had to get my husband to promise that if my son needed anything, HE would take care of him). There are a lot of videos that you could do at home (cheaper than a membership at Curves!). A lot of women here like Walk Away the Pounds. If that's too physically difficult right now, there are even exercise videos you can do sitting in a chair! It might take awhile but we can help you find something that you'll enjoy and can comfortably do!
You are worth the effort to change your life!

When I first started my "lifestyle change" in December, I thought about joining TOPS, but I, too, questioned whether I could make the commitment while I had so many other obligations. Then I found this site! The people here are great and are so supportive! I post here regularly and it's making all the difference for me. Feel free to PM me.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #5  

I have a permanent back and ankle injury too. My doctor told me swimming doesn't put any pressure on either. So if you can maybe join a local YWCA and swim during "free swim time". I know being in a bathing suit is embarrassing, but it's worth it to lose weight.

My doctor also suggested a stationary recumbent bike (because they support your back) he said the movement stregthens my ankle and stretches it at the same time. I hope this is helpful to you Tina, before I hurt myself my main method of losing weight was running....it was awful gaining so much weight. At first I thought I was pregnant, but then I found out I'm just fat.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #6  

Oh, and I've also found that if you can't drink diet soda, and cutting out soda entirely is impossible, you should really try Pepsi edge or C-2 (coke) they're half the calories and can help you ease off. They don't taste horrible really.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #7  
One day at a time

Oh ladies if I could give each of you a hug I would! Thanks for all your support!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #8  
gotta lose it!

Tina -
If you ever need support/vent etc. You can pm me. I have no pronblem helping another "chick" out!
soon2Bfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #9  

Tkay90, I know exactly how you feel. I had two surgeries on my right knee, the last was 6 months ago, adn will be facing surgery again on the left knee this fall. I have an 8 and a 2 year old, so it is hard for me to do anything. I have little money and inquired about joining weight watchers, but was told by my boyfriend that he will not help me with going to the meetings, whether it be watching the children or anything. He can spend tons of cash eating out, smoking and drinking, but when I want to do something healthy, I am ridiculed for it. It is time for you to be selfish about your health. I am telling my boyfriend after Easter that he can either watch the children while I go to the meetings, or he can leave my house and not come back until he is willing to support me. I am willing to be a support to work out at home if you want. You will get to where you want to be. It is not going to be easy, but it will happen. Baby steps. I am drinking more water and eating more fruit and vegetables. When I clean my VCR, I can start working out again. I am here for you whenever you need someone to talk to.
d2andb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:05 AM   #10  

Tkay90, I've read your posts several times, and my heart goes out to you. I also want you to know that I believe you can lose the weight. You've found a place of support now, and that makes all the difference in the world.

Maybe you could start with some really simple exercise that you can do on your own schedule. Someone else has suggested walking and swimming, which are both great choices. You could also try weightlifting to up build your strength. It's OK to start with very, very light weights, like using cans of soup instead of heavy dumbbells. (No, I'm not kidding; I've done that myself!) Those are all things that you could probably fit into whatever schedule you & your DH are stuck with. I also have to ask if you've seen a physical therapist for some advice. If you can afford a couple of visits with one, he/she could probably help you design a plan that takes your injuries into account.
pegatha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:18 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2andb1
Tkay90, I know exactly how you feel. I had two surgeries on my right knee, the last was 6 months ago, adn will be facing surgery again on the left knee this fall. I have an 8 and a 2 year old, so it is hard for me to do anything. I have little money and inquired about joining weight watchers, but was told by my boyfriend that he will not help me with going to the meetings, whether it be watching the children or anything. He can spend tons of cash eating out, smoking and drinking, but when I want to do something healthy, I am ridiculed for it. It is time for you to be selfish about your health. I am telling my boyfriend after Easter that he can either watch the children while I go to the meetings, or he can leave my house and not come back until he is willing to support me. I am willing to be a support to work out at home if you want. You will get to where you want to be. It is not going to be easy, but it will happen. Baby steps. I am drinking more water and eating more fruit and vegetables. When I clean my VCR, I can start working out again. I am here for you whenever you need someone to talk to.

Good for you darling!
I'm glad your telling the jerkbutt to be there for you or hit the road!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #12  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

My heavest I was 313 pounds you can see in some pics we made up here a while ago that I need to update.
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~tazdrummer/cindyspics.htm
But I couldnt see what I now see in those pictures. Its very much possible to lose the weight you really have to want to be healthy. You have to want to live to see your children grow and have grandchiildren some day. Being heavy and unhealthy I realized I would not live that long. Diabetes runs thru my family I would die before I got to see al that before I got to go thru life and do all the things I could only wish I could. I have to make it happen. No one.. no pill .. no miracle is going to do that for me. Only me.
Life is worth getting up and getting done what needs to be done so I can lose the weight and I make my dreams come true.
If you want things in life you have to make them happen you have to want them bad enough.
I started slow and low and worked my way up. Gave up pop went walking even if it was only 10 minutes a day but increase it and try to do better challenge yourself.
I now am running a mile in 15 minutes I also bike for 5 miles and walk a additional mile and work out with weights I do this on the weekends and work out to a CD on the weekdays and go walking.
You can do it it wont happen over night.
Go at it cold turkey just throw out all that food that is bad and not just you but your whole family could change their eating habbits. Stop eating the red meat switch to turkey and Chicken, get rid of the pop. Eat your regular meals and have your snacks to fruit vegetables and almonds and so on.
Make changes and read all you can know your enemy and thats the weight.
But you can do it. Its not going to be easy at all.
This is one of the hardest things you will have to do but its a lot easier than a loved one putting you into the ground before they had to.
I hate to sound dramatic but its the truth. And when your heart and your mind see the truth they can help you over come and do what you need to do.
I hope you can make the changes and get to where you want to be.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:46 PM   #13  
One day at a time

Thanks for all the comments. Pegatha to answer your question I actually had an appointment to see a physical therapist but was too embarrassed to go. I am ashamed of my weight so I hate going to doctors.

Morticia thanks for your advice and I am SICK of being FAT. I want to see my children grow up. And yes I know I can do it, it is just sticking to it that is the hard part. I thank you for sharing your pictures I will check them out. You are doing great!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

~Tina~

I would suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor and/or physical therapist. Let them know either when you make the appointment or as soon as you go in that you are inquiring about losing weight-and are there for advice as far as diet and exercise. If you let them know right away that you are WANTING to do something about it-they are much more likely to be supportive of your efforts.

It is a totally different scenario than the people they see every day who are so overweight that it is the root of their back/knee/heart/diabetes problems and are always at teh doctor to get treatment or prescriptions for their problems-but don't want to take charge and lose the weight that is pretty much causing them in the first place.

There are people in my husband's family who will go in for medication for their back pain and want the pills-but don't want to do the exercises to strengthen their back, or lose the weight that is putting the extra pressure on it in the first place. In short-doctors see a lot of people wanting to treat their symptoms, but not cure the problem-know what I mean?

If you go in letting them know you want to lose weight, and are acknowledging that you need to-the attitude is much more likely to be supportive and helpful. Ask you physical therapist what exercises and activities you can participate in with your condition.

I agree that swimming may be a good one for you-either the free swim time at the YMCA or YWCA, or check and see if they have a aquaaerobics class or something. I also recommend the recumbent bike. I had very weak back/abs after having my first child (she was over 10 pounds along with other complications during the pregnancy) so from carrying her alone my back and ab muscles were completely out of wack for a while-and the recumbent bike was the only cardio machine I could do for a good period of time at first until I strengthened my core muscles. If you check out www.collagevideo.com they also have chair exercise videos in their "specialty" section that are specifically for those with back/leg problems and you do the exercises while sitting in a sturdy kitchen like chair. You would be surprised what you can do while sitting down!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #15  

Aphil, I wanted to thank you for for the link. I got really excited when I saw that there were exercise tapes that made exceptions for and worked around a back problem, and a leg disability. I can't wait to buy them now, thank you.