Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #1  
SMILESAREPRICELESS

Default WLS at Military Hospital--did you?

hello. well, i have met with my pcp and now have a referral for consult with the surgeon at the military facility (Landstuhl, Germany) for may12th.

I'm curious who had their surgery in a military hospital? Did you feel that your surgeon was qualified...I'm wondering if they give you a location as your only choice, in my mind, it makes me skeptical of how good the quality of the surgeon is... Not that he can't be military and good, but i guess I mean....

this surgery is a big deal to me and i want to make sure i'm using a surgeon i'm confident with too, not just that he's the only one they say i can see.. You know?

Any experiences will be helpful - please share.
smilesarepriceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Smile,
yes, Amy (MysTek) and I both had ours at Balboa Naval Medical Center in San Diego, CA. And our surgeond were both exceptionally qualified. The military requires that any surgeon performing this surgery be trained at another facility as an intern prior to coming to an MTF. And at an MTF, they are required to be observed by a board certified bariatric surgeon until they have satisfactarily completed a certain number of precedures, if this particular MTF has done less than 50. You can rest assured that this is the most scrutinized procedure at a military facility right now. Feel free to hound your general surgery clinic for these facts and specific numbers, even the anesthesiologists. You have every right to know exactly what goes on and what will go on. Ask me any questions you like. I'm sure Monica will also be willing to answer your questions, too. Good luck!!!

Angie
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:22 AM   #3  

My family and I just recently returned to the states from a 3 yr. tour in England where I had my WLS. I was suppose to have it done at the base hospital, but didn't (long story). I ended up getting referred to a british surgeon who was about 3 hrs. or so from RAF Lakenheath (our base). He did a wonderful job and I only had one complication about 3 or 4 weeks post-op (I had severe nausea which caused me to get dehydrated and really ill being re-hospitalized for 3 days.......SO DO make sure when you're discharged, you have meds for nausea!!!). Anyway, like Pookie said, the docs do have to be certified to be able to do this procedure at a MTF, so I'm assuming this applies to the doc you saw. I have, however, had 3 other surgeries done at military hospitals (1 c-section, gall bladder removal, hernia repair/TT), and I'm still here - wheee!! True, military docs can be quacks, but this could be true anywhere else, too. Just take a deep breath, say a big prayer and have your surgery if you feel it's right for you. Wishing you a safe surgery and speedy recovery!! God Bless...

Just me...Robin
Open RNY: Nov. 13, 2002
290/190ish/165
Pooky2 is offline   Reply With Quote