Cooking Tips and Questions - Breakfast?

View Full Version : Breakfast?

hannah_phi
03-08-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm not looking for recipes so much as I am trying to find out what others eat for breakfast. I don't like most breakfast foods. I really don't like sweet things for breakfast. Sometimes I eat scrambled eggs with herbs, but I get so tired of eggs. I also like lox and bagels, but it is way too expensive for my grad-student budget. I need ideas. I usually end up eating dinner's leftovers for breakfast, but I need variety.

mauvaisroux
03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Bran flakes with sliced banana or strawberries and 2% milk
Grilled cheese
chicken bacon or Canadian bacon on toast or with scrambled eggs
toasted rye bread with tuna, a little mayo and some garlic salt in it
cold pancakes with butter and cheese
Scottish porridge (has no sugar in it)

punkrockgrryl
03-08-2005, 03:59 PM
hannah phi-
i've been on a sprouted bread kick for the past year or so- it's flourless, sugarfree, and has lots of fiber etc. I usually have toast in the morning topped with neufchatel cheese (similar to cream cheese but lower in fat) mixed with spices or herbs (ex- zatta -- a delicious middle eastern spice mix that you could probably find in an ethnic grocery store, curry powder, tandoori spice, chives, etc) or toast topped with tahini, peanut butter (mmmm. good with curry powder!) or cashew butter. V8 juice is always a good addition, and a great way to get a veggie serving in first thing. I also will sometimes make granola bars and that way i can control the amount of oil and sugar (i don't have much of a sweet tooth first thing in the AM either)-I found the recipie on 3FC and just altered it to suit my tastes.

http://www.food-for-life.com/index.asp
(site for the yummy sprouted bread)

LuzenLady
03-08-2005, 04:32 PM
I usually eat two slices of Sara Lee Delightful Bread toasted with Peanut Butter. It has 90 calories for 2 slices of bread and 5 grams of fiber. Tastes good too. I have it with my one cup of coffee for the day. It's fast.

hannah_phi
03-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Mmm, those all sound like great ideas. I had a grilled cheese for breakfast today. It was really good.

The bread with neufchatel and zah'tar sounds great! I got some of that spice mix when I was in Israel last year. I use it on hummus and pita usually.

Thanks ladies!

pegatha1
03-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Often I make casseroles (healthy ones, with lots of veggies or whole-grain noodles) for dinner, and the next day I'll reheat a serving of the leftovers for breakfast. That way I get a nice hot breakfast without a lot of fuss.

Giasbash6260
03-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Im sorry, but if someone is trying to loose weight I dont think grilled CHEESE is going to cut it, yes this bread your eatting it on...Ezekiel 4:9® ...is wonderful for you, but cheese...Eh, I dont think so! If you want something AMAZING for breakfast that includes this bread let me tell you....
take a slice and dip it in an eggwhite and 1 egg mixture until completely coated and "fry" in pam spray on the skillet, pour the rest of the eggmixture over it and let it cook.....accompany this WONDERFUL BREAKFAST with sugar free maple syrup from naturesflavors.com.....Its my breakfast just about EVERYMORNING and It gives me so much energy to tackle the day! (And I am never hungry!!)It is truely amazing!!!

mauvaisroux
03-14-2005, 01:29 PM
You use low fat cheese or the Kraft single slices reduced fat. I use wholegrain bread for mine.

hannah_phi
03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Giasbash6260: These days its only lowfat cheese in my house. I don't think I could go without it, I would end up binging out. I weigh it out though and add tomatoes and spinach to a grilled cheese and of course whole grain bread. Your suggestion is good, but I just can't bring myself to eat sweet stuff in the morning (even if it is sugar free), I'll literally end up feeling ill.

mauvaisroux
03-14-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm like that too hannah, I can't eat peanut butter on toast, waffles or pancakes with syrup for breakfast first thing in the morning. I feel sick after and get headaches :( I will sometimes haves those items on the weekend as I usually don't eat until 10:00 am or so and they don't seem to have the same effect then.

hannah_phi
03-15-2005, 01:36 AM
It's definitely something about first thing in the morning for me too. I can do some sweet stuff later in the morning, like for brunch, but not early. Glad to hear that I'm not bizarre, at least in that respect... :lol:

autumnah
03-28-2005, 06:33 PM
I eat yogurt with some wheat toast on the side. I love Polaner All Fruit strawberry jam on my toast too. When I don't eat that I'll have a soy butter and banana wrap. That's my absolute favorite :)

A-

rubyblushu
03-29-2005, 07:20 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing this morning. I want to eat light for breakfast, but filling, and get tired of eggs myself.

I may have to try that egg/toast thing, though. Maybe with preservatives or fruit on top.

One thing I do eat, though, is Whole Grain Cheerios. Have you tried something like that, that's only lightly sweetened?

flxthct107
03-30-2005, 02:54 AM
I love instant regular oatmeal made with skim milk, add splenda, cinnamon and also sugar free maple syrup sometimes for an extra kick. Very good, filling and cheap. 195 cal

If I'm in a huge hurry I grab 2 flavored waffles from the freezer and throw them in the toaster at work. 200 cal

ttugoddess
04-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Is that Sara Lee Delightful Bread any good?? My weight watchers instructor said that it was great for breakfast.. Right now Im basically having Special k with red berries with fat free milk each morning.. kind of getting old!

ttugoddess
04-01-2005, 06:11 AM
Is that Sara Lee Delightful Bread any good?? My weight watchers instructor said that it was great for breakfast.. Right now Im basically having Special k with red berries with fat free milk each morning.. kind of getting old!

25 yrs/ 5'4''
Grad Student
Highest Weight 183

flxthct107
04-08-2005, 06:49 PM
I personally don't like the Sara Lee bread. The light oroweat bread tastes better to me.
I just take in the extra calories now and get the 7-12 grain breads.

Jtjoray
05-02-2006, 11:27 PM
I eat Kashi Go Lean Cruch with skim milk and cut up a 1/2 of a bananna to put in it. If Im in a hurry I have a slim fast. On the weekends I have the Sara Lee Delightful bread with a hard bolied egg. I swich it up sometimes but these are my normal choices.

kati3l3unny
08-29-2006, 04:20 PM
how about something like this its not sweet at all it still has eggs but i don't think you'd notice them as much.

BREAKFAST PIZZA

2 Cups Frozen Shredded Hash
Brown Potatoes
1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
1/4 Teaspoon Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil, divided
1 Cup Egg Substitute
2 Tablespoons Fat Free Milk
2 Green Onions, sliced 2 Tablespoons Red Pepper,
chopped
1 Tablespoon Jalapeno Pepper,
chopped
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1 Pre-baked Pizza Crust (16 OZ)
1/2 Cup Salsa
3/4 Cup Reduced Fat Cheddar
Cheese, shredded

In a non-stick skillet, cook hash browns and the next 2 ingredients, in 1 Tablespoon of the oil. Remove and keep warm. In a bowl beat the egg and milk and set aside. In the same skillet sauté the onions and the next 3 ingredients with the remaining oil. Add the egg mixture, cook and stir until almost set. Remove from heat. Place the crust on an un-greased pizza pan. Spread salsa over the crust. Top with egg mixture, then the hash browns. Top with the cheese. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes.

SERVINGS 6; CALORIES 375; FAT 12 g; PROTEIN 19 g; CARBS 50 g;
FIBER 1 g; CHOL 10 mg; SODIUM 748 mg
SERVING SIZE= 1 Slice
(recipe taken from www.lowcaldiner.com)

kate

Irishowl
09-03-2006, 09:28 PM
I like brown and serve turkey sausege, 3 links for 120 calories. Most mornings I have 3 links and oatmeal with skim milk. Filling and keeps me from snacking mid morning.

DebbieII
09-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Kashi Go Lean cereal and half a banana mixed in a fat free sugar free yogurt.

Emerald
02-04-2007, 01:24 AM
My breakfast depends on how much time my 5 month old gives me to eat! Sometimes it's just a small bagel with light cream cheese or rice krispies with a banana. I sometimes do eggs all different ways. I really like them baked with salsa. Oatmeal, toast with peanut butter, and other regulars.

Maybe odd, but I like tuna or salmon scrambled with eggs served on toast. Yum. If splurging, also good with white gravy on top.

LindseyLouWho
02-09-2007, 01:48 AM
One of my favorite snacks that could also double for a good breakfast is Wasa crisp-bread (I use the multigrain kind) topped with a little fat free cream cheese and tomatoes.
Also, if you're one of those people who tends to get hungry long before lunch or snack time (like me), you might want to try a breakfast that sticks with you longer. Cereals like Weetabix, Shredded Wheat or anything with a lot of whole grain and fiber will keep you full longer than most (in my experience). Oatmeal can also be great, however most kinds have too much sugar in them. I usually mix mine as 1 packet of a flavored kind with 1 packet plain...

Hope this helps!!