100 lb. Club - Temptation

View Full Version : Temptation

thefictionalme
03-07-2005, 03:51 PM
This morning I walked into my office to find 3 boxes of girl scout cookies on my desk. 2 months ago I ordered them and they arrived in today. I sat and stared all them all morning, just thinking about eating some. I knew if I opened a box of them I'd eat the entire box. I glanced over the calories 4 thin mints.. 170 calories.. 2 peanut butter ones 150 calories.. I got back to work and thought about the other things I could have for that many calories. I went home for lunch and took with. I thought about having some after my lunch (a ham & colby on wheat and fat free cottage cheese) and thought about how I deserved it for how good I've been over the past two weeks. Instead I went over to the cabinet and grabbed a bag of Chips Ahoy 100 calories thin crisps. Now i'm sitting here at work feeling content and full. My parents are coming over for dinner tonight and I'll be giving them all 3 boxes.

The old me would have eaten an entire box of cookies and lied to my husband and told him I shared them with coworkers or gave them away. I never realized how much I lied about my bad eating habits.

What temptations have you resisted today?

Gardenwife
03-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Good for (the new) you! That's a tough one, and you made great choices!

howie6267
03-07-2005, 04:07 PM
That is so great. It's hard to turn away from things like that. Each victory will make you stronger.

I know what you mean about food lies. I did not always lie but what she did not know would not hurt right? Wrong!

Inca's Momma
03-07-2005, 04:34 PM
That is terrific. I never ordered girl scout cookies and had been avoiding the little booths outside the stores for 3 weeks. Friday I caved in and bought 2 boxes GRRRRRR. Haven't eaten them all yet but did some damage. BAD BABY!!!! :devil:

Jen
03-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Good job avoiding temptation. I've had a pretty good day today eating only what I planned to and not giving into the cookie jar calling my name!

Gardenwife
03-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Girl scouts are satan's minions, all innocent and fresh-faced with their little uniforms and cookies...

Just kidding, y'all!

teckeygirl
03-07-2005, 05:00 PM
So we're walking out of walmart last night and my innocent bf says "ooo girl scout cookies" and before I even had time to look at the boxes he bought 2 boxes of Thin Mints (my favorite) and one box of Samoas (called Caramel deLites here but let me tell you there is NOTHING *LITE* about them)!!!

The boxes are sitting behind me AS WE SPEAK. I'm twitching to open one, but I know its just BAD if I do. I won't want to stop at 4 cookies. I love thin mints and I love eating them when they have been in the freezer.. and guess what guys? They now make ICE CREAM in girl scout cookie flavors.. mmm

So I'm bargaining with myself now that as long as I eat whats on my plan today and no more/less..I can have 2 thin mints with my fat free TCBY white chocolate macadamia froz yogurt. Moderation right? ::twitch::

barbygirl43
03-07-2005, 06:48 PM
WTG on avoiding the temptation. I ordered mine back in December when I was off the wagon so when they came in in January I just divied me up some in single size servings, handed out the really high calorie ones to coworkers, gave the peanut butter ones to the kids and that was that on my cookies.

frenchiepolarbear
03-08-2005, 12:22 AM
I got one..bitter-sweet.

As some of you may know, i use the drugstore's calibrated medical scale to weight myslef. It is located at the very bottom of an alley. The products placed on the shelves of that particular alley are seasonal promotions.

And as Easter approaching, the shelves are packed only and only with chocolate stuff: Chocolate bunnies, chocolate eggs, chocolate cookies chocolate Simpsons, etc.....:m: :doh: :cookie:

See the picture?...to get to the scale we have to pass by all these tempting high calories high sugar products that appeal to us....:devil:

jiffypop
03-08-2005, 07:00 AM
<did you know that if you 'hide' the thin mints in the freezer, they taste even better, but they're harder to find?>

jillybean720
03-08-2005, 07:21 AM
As much as I LOVE Girl Scout Cookies (the peanut butter ones covered in chocolate and the thin mints), I resisted the temptation to buy any. I know if I have them around, I will eat them all, so I don't have them around! I have to do that with a lot of things. When grocery shopping with the BF, he'll ask if I can buy some ____ (fill in the blank with pretty much anything that isn't fruit, vegetable, or meat), and I tell him no because I know he won't eat ALL of it, and then the leftovers are in my house all week until he comes back the next Friday. Knowing all too well that if it is in the house, I will eat it, I refuse to buy a LOT of things. Hopefully, by the time I live with someone (him?? :crossed: ), I will be able to control myself so they can have what they want, too.

dragonwoman64
03-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Luckily girl scouts aren't brave enough to sell cookies in Brooklyn or else I'd be 30 lbs heavier! :lol:

Yesterday I was having a major chocolate craving. Did cave to one piece, but no more! I've been sticking to the program pretty well since Friday, and doing well with the exercise.

Hey, around Christmas our office supplies company offered a special where you get free Mrs. Field's chocolate bars (white and milk chocolate bars with bits of crushed mint on top). Yes, I caved and got them. I'm happy to report more than half the tin is sitting there (180 calories per bar, :o ). Those little office freebies can be evil.

I reach for chocolate after Rob's out of the house (like it doesn't count if he doesn't see it!). Lately, I confess to him if I do that, I'm trying to get that habit out of my system. It's not like he yells at me if I eat it, I just feel guiltier if he knows... ha.

theotherjen
03-08-2005, 11:54 AM
I have been very tough this year...I normally buy the evil things from my god-daughter...but this year I said no. Those samoas tempt me far too much to have them in the house. Although, my DH did buy me the big Reese's easter eggs. I love those so...I did end up having one last week. I have them crammed in the back of the freezer behind all the veggies = ) for safe keeping of course.

teapotdynamo
03-08-2005, 12:17 PM
You know, I am making a conscious effort to get better about associating holidays and other special occasions with food (your Reese's thing reminded me of this because I am **** on wheels with anything peanut butter-related). I was trying to think of something to get for my mom's birthday and my husband suggested these amazing chocolates called Wilbur Buds (the original Hershey's kisses, only better, if that's possible). I honestly considered it, but decided I'd rather get her something different. My whole family has weird relationships with food, and I'd just rather not give into the whole food = love thing. I've been trying to model good habits when we visit, and the chocolates would definitely send the wrong message.

Ugh, it's so difficult trying to rewire the brain!

Sandi
03-08-2005, 02:43 PM
WTG! on the girl scout cookies - somehow I avoided all the orders! :D

Funny you should say that about food = love. My mom is the perfect case. We get together by ourselves every Thursday. Lately I have been getting some tough love from her regarding this whole losing weight thing. Which I am actually very grateful for (she does it well). But what kills me, is in the same breath she is saying how she wants junky food when we get together. Last week I finally said that we didn't have to eat the same thing. **UHHH**

Since I have been trying to be more consistent this year, I find that I hide more of my eating than I did before and it bothers me. I hate that.

Today I convinced myself to come back to the office and eat the healthy lunch that I had brought instead of grabbing Fast Food!!

howie6267
03-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Good for you Sandi. I know how hard it can be to pass up the junk food. I do know that when I was doing that a lot the junk food always seemed to taste so much better. Now that I have been eating more healthy the good food taste better to me. So there is a bright side. So keep up the good work and the bad stuff will start to lose it's appeal.

mabear
03-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Having a bunch of kids is handy for things like GS cookies. I could put a couple boxes on the table and they'd be gone in a few minutes.

Great going on resisting them!

Catherine EDD#11 June 24th
hw/sw(pg)/cw/gw
272/258/241/155
mabear's homepage (http://www.plomp.com/mabear)
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar007/chick01/lb/258/155/241/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

TaraJW
03-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Present wise you could try like a manicure/pedicure thing and go with her. I was reading something on msn about things like that. Instead of going out to eat, go for a walk, go get a manicure, blah blah blah. Great in theory. Never tried it though. :-)

Gardenwife
03-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Howie's not tempted by sweets like I am, so we've stopped getting things like bakery-packed mini scones; Howie could eat one a day and be find with that, but I would be sorely tempted having them around. I'd just rather surround myself with healthy choices, stuff that has nutritional value. The more I cut my calories, the less tempted I am to eat empty ones, you know? If I want a treat, which I do every week, I'd rather go and get a scone at the coffee shop.

healthysoon
03-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Okay, congratulations on passing on the cookies. But now I feel bad for myself. I have been doing great the last couple of months and I hate this time of year. I have been avoiding those little beasts in the dresses all this month. Then of course I broke the cardinal rule of not shopping when your hungry. I walked into Farmer Jack and there they were in all their glory, in stereo I might add "Would you like to buy some GIRL SCOUT COOKIES?" Well I called them little beasts with a smile on my face and I actually went across the aisle to the atm to be able to buy a box of Thin mints and a box of tagalongs. Well I get back over there and the little demons said in a happy grin "Thank you for buying our Girl Scout cookies" I said your welcome, but I wont be thanking you at weigh in tomorrow. So needless to say I went home and ate the whole box, I think the tagalongs are 16 pts for the box. My mom had two of them. And I ate a package of thin mints last night in one sitting. So I ask you this, Am I the only one of this group that caved to the curse of the badge sash!! So I commend all of you for a job well done. And to top it off today I ended my rocky relationship on a bad note and came home and ate to personal size deep dish pizzas. And the the last Pack of Thin mints is calling my name. But Im not caving into it this time. I will just go to bed where I cant do any damage. I hope I dont cave in too many more times because of this breakup either. I dont know about everyone else but Im an emotional eater. I eat for every mood. But depression is my worst. So pray for me so I can keep on track. I have a few things coming up that I want to be healthier for. Florida trip end of May, A graduation at the end of June (okay this one is just out of spite because my ex husband is going to be there and I know its wrong, but I just want him to see me smaller than when I was with him last year), and the biggy is my 20yr high school reunion in Oct. I have to be smaller for that. Anyway keep up the good work and I will chat with you later, Im going to bed to have dreams of sugarplums, hopefully I dont eat them.

Terri

TaraJW
03-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Rocky relationship times are the worst for me and eating. Depression eating is what I do best! Im so sorry to hear about the ending relationship and I wish you a speedy recovery! You can keep busy and not focus on it by letting US keep you distracted! The graduation date is a great incentive for the weight loss though. Looking good in front of ex's always keeps me on that treadmill for a few extra minutes. ;-) Best of luck to you!

howie6267
03-08-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't cave for those little beasts in the dresses. But there is a cute red head that gets me all the time. Her name is Wendy and I just love those little freckels. She is always telling me to have a cheeseburger. It makes her happy when I eat. Don't tell my wife she may get jealous. I went and seen her this weekend on top of having pizza that night too. The pizza was a planed treat the cheeseburger was just old habits creaping in.

Ivanna B. Skinny
03-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Terri...you are not alone. I caved in and ate ...well lets just say a questionable ammount of Samoas...those little beasts :devil:.

missaprylj
03-08-2005, 11:06 PM
My dad is ordering like, 8 boxes from my cousin. WTF? Since I get to choose the types, and don't want them on my butt in April, I think I'll choose the ones I DON'T like. Now... which ones are those!!?! :lol:

Gardenwife
03-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Howie, I must admit it gave me pause when I read "red head", but then I read on! You're so BAD!

Frenchie, I envision your long cookie-surrounded trek to the scale being a gauntlet of sorts...Doesn't this just say it all?

"Running the gauntlet" means to be forced to run between two lines of opponents, who take the opportunity to inflict as much pain as they can during the ordeal. The "gantlet" or "gauntlet" in this case is thought to be based on Swedish words meaning "course," and to have originated during the Thirty Year's War in 17th century Europe. Source (http://www.word-detective.com/back-s.html)

SuchAPrettyFace
03-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Howie, I can't believe that :censored: Wendy is cheating on me w/you!!! :mad: :lol:

I bought some cookies. And ate them. All. 2 boxes, Samoas & Thin Mints, one day just for the Samoas, another day for the Thin Mints. But then I adjusted my calories accordingly & beat myself up over the horrible dinner/late night snack choice.

howie6267
03-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Yep she gets around. I guess that's life.

Orangecupcakez
03-09-2005, 03:50 PM
My weakness around this time of year is the Oh Henry Easter Eggs. I've had a few so far, but I've not over done it. I want to enjoy life and food so I don't want to stop my self from having a treat every now and then!

dragonwoman64
03-09-2005, 04:59 PM
No, you're not the only caver, :lol:

No girl scout cookies, but the chocolate cravings have been driving me bananas. I bought some chocolate graham crackers, that helps. Still, I ate a chocolate covered cherry today (won't be repeating that though, terrible!)

barbygirl43
03-09-2005, 06:22 PM
A little tip you could to if you really want to help out your local Girl Scout would be to buy the cookies and then have her donate them to someone less fortunate. I'm sure her mom probably knows of a few houses where they wanted some coookies but couldn't afford them. Or you can buy them and then drop them off at a local nursing home. Even better would be to get in touch with their troop leader and just give her the money for the troop that you would've spent on cookies. That way the troop receives the whole amount and not just a buck or so off the sale of each box.

thefictionalme
03-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I gave my mom all 3 boxes of our girl scout cookies (I never even opened them) and she took them to the local St Vincent de Paul for the volunteers to eat :)

jillybean720
03-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Girl Scout cookies aside, I have to pat myself on the back for avoiding fast food lately. I still have this annoying cold, so when I'm out and about, it seems SO much easier to just go through the drive-through at Wendy's or MD's rather than go home and have to actually prepare something. There have been 3 or 4 instance in the past week or so when I have actually had the cash in my hand and had every intention of driving up to that window, but then when I get to the restaurant, something hits me (like my common sense smacking me in the back of the head) and I just drive right on by and go home and have a bowl of cereal with skim milk or a sandwich with stuff that's already prepared in my fridge. As amazing as a Frosty would feel on the sore throat/swollen glands, I have made my weight loss goals the priority for the first time! :D

PS...I'm pretty sure I will have no choice but to maim anyone who gives me Resse's peanut butter eggs for Easter--they are AMAZING, but I haven't had any of those this year, either!

Gardenwife
03-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Wow, good for you, Jill! I am in the throes of some cold virus and know how I just want to consume all things comforting and convenient. It's really hard not to. Good for you!