Old 03-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #1  
Jennifer

Default Completely Off-Topic - Is This a Mistake?

I've been thinking about getting my hair cut short -- not REALLY short, but maybe a chin-length bob of some sort, something really stylish and different. I've had my hair long for several years now, and I am feeling like it's dragging my face down, especially as I'm losing weight. Is this crazy? I know my husband does prefer long hair (although he says he likes variety above all), but I really want something new.

Am I going to regret this? I'm seriously thinking about it! My hair is really fine and kinda just hangs when it's long...

I'd love any suggestions or talking-out-ofs.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #2  

Even though, I am new to the site, I think that a chin length bob would be very cute. Especially with a couple highlights. I am trying to grow my hair out, but since it curls up, it seems like it is taking forever.
d2andb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #3  

Cool

My hair gets shorter and shorter. It's just easier to take care of. If you're concerned about how it would look, why not find a place that sells wigs and try on a few in the style your thinking of?
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

GO FOR IT!!!! What's the worst that could happen...you don't love it and you have to grow it back!! Do it! I was very nervous about going red and I have never liked anything so well!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #5  

A haircut isn't permanent, so why not give it a try? If it's very long, you could get a few inches cut off now, then another few in a week, so it's not too much of a shock. It's fun to try something new, but if you & DH don't like the change, you can always grow it out again.
pegatha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #6  

Well, I don't know if this will help you, but I"ve got thick, straight hair. I've had it long, short and in between...and I think the way it looks best on me is in a chin length bob with some shorter pieces towards the front to give it some style and shape. I think this makes me face look thiner and makes me look younger. It might have the same effect on you!
LuvHamsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I have a question... if you ever picture yourself thin (they say picturing yourself thin helps for some reason, dunno why!), do you see yourself with long hair, or short hair? Do you notice that whenever a woman loses a lot of weight, she cuts her hair really short? Maybe it's just be, but I've always observed this on random tv shows, and at my work (I work in a plus size women's clothing store). Personally, I say get it trimmed, some layers, maybe some bangs? I'm loving the swept aside bangs look still, however, I am biased, because I've had mine this way for 4 years.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:35 AM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I cut my hair all the time.. does wonder for my attitude! Do you normally put your hair up in the summer time (b/c of the heat)? If so - just cut off enough so you can still pull it back if you want. Say cut 3 inches at a time.

I'm trying to grow my hair right now - including the bangs.

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #9  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hi Jennifer,

I too have thin fine straight hair. I never thought my hair could do anything, but a lady at work talked me into a hair cut, and wonder of wonders, because of the particular way she cut it, my hair would finally "do something". Sometimes I feel like my hair is the only good thing on me. I like my hair. I am a big chicken, and have had the same hair style for a long time, but I still get compliments on it. It is easy to style, I can do it up in a few minutes ~ I don't have the patience or time for a lot of fussing, so I am sticking with it.

A few months back one of the hair cutting ladies, thought I needed an update ~ she cut it and styled it ~ similar to my hair style but a little poofier. It looked cute, but when I got home, I could not make it look like she made it look. So, back to the old hairstyle for me.

You should do it ~ if you don't like it you can always grow it out. Maybe like the others said ~ cut it a little at a time.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #10  
Abby's Mommy

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! You (most likley) wont regret it! I have always gone between long and short. Cant stand shoulder length on me. I just reciently went short again...I LOVE IT!!! Go for a sassy littl bob, maybe with some layers up the back...you've got the hutspa to carry it well!!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #11  
missaprylj

Totally! Do it, Jennifer. I think it will make you look really.... what's the word? Radiant. But you already look radiant! It will really lighten you up. You'll like it, I swear. Whooohooo! I love when people change hair styles.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #12  
Jennifer

You guys rock. I'm going to think about it a little more, but I'm really leaning toward chopping it off. I too have noticed the number of people who cut their hair when they lose weight... I think it might be that they don't feel so much like they have to hide behind it.

We shall see, ladies... we shall see... I will certainly post pics if I do it!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #13  

I'm late with the discussion (dang this time difference thing!), but I say do it. I am still a fat chick, but the first thing I did when I decided to start on this journey, was to get my hair cut into a funky short style, and have it dyed dark brown with red highlights. Even though I have only lost 20 pounds, my neck and face have been the first to benefit, hidden behind my shroud of hair, I don't think I would have noticed!

My hair is really fine too, and it's much happier being short!!! And all the girls with long hair at the gym look really jealous when I pop into the dressing room after them, and leave before them, with my hair looking fine, whilst they are still dealing with their long tresses!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #14  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Maybe not super short or a huge cut, but how about a new style? have some layers put in, some highlights or lowlights painted in. I think you should do it, but look at magazines & find a look you like that would fit your face & doesn't take too much time to do.

I say, go for it! A new cut can really lift your spirits.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #15  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

A style which adds some height to your hair will draw attention upwards, too. I started out last summer with long hair - all one length, down to the lumbar area of my back. With the first cut, I donated a 12" ponytail to Locks of Love (they make wigs for children undergoing chemotherapy). Style-wise, my hair still looked a lot the same, only shorter. Finally, I took the plunge, got it cut shorter yet and really styled. I also had highlights put in.

The thing which convinced me to go shorter rather than have my hair at my jawline was the hairdresser pulling my hair up and away from my face and puffing up the top. My face immediately looked thinner and my eyes really stood out. I realized that my previous styles had just dragged everything down.

But that's me!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote