Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #1  
SMILESAREPRICELESS

Default Questions from a SAHM -

Hi. Well, i am excited about my possibilities of having WLS. I've been here a couple times in the past and have looked into the band mainly, but as I'm in Germany now as a military wife, i've been told over and over the band isn't covered.

I met with PCP this past week, and he's filling out all needed paperwork to send to Tricare so i can get approval to meet with a surgeon about my weight loss surgery options ( this is good news..thus far).

Anyway, i had at first thought i didn't have the guts to go through with the gastric bypass,mainly for fear of dying....but since it may be my only option I'm becomging open to it a little more and wanting to learn more...

ME -
29 yo female
happily married 2 1/2 yrs
I have a 2 mth old little girl

QUESTION -
As my husband will be in Iraq, I need to know realistically, how long POST surgery, i would need help caring for my little girl. I've got very close friends willing to help, have her stay with them, and possibly my mother n law coming over to help as well, but i need to know how long i will need help 1) for my daughter and 2) help with myself?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!
smilesarepriceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #2  

Hi smiles,

A lot depends on whether you are having open surgery or laparascopic. I heal incredibly quickly and well from surgeries, but weight loss surgery was a completely different story. They really are doing quite a bit of re-routing while they are in there, and that added to the decreased nutrition intake afterward can take a real toll. I am a single parent and have three teenagers. I had open surgery. My mother stayed a few days, then my daughter helped with drains and showering (for which I am forever grateful and promised to visit and care for her tenderly when she has children!). If I had an infant at home that required lifting, etc., it would have been weeks before I could have been left alone. I would definitely speak with your physician about his/her recommendations. I would say, however, to plan for several weeks just in case you need it, and if you are able to send your help home sooner, so much the better.

Good luck to you!

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:49 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

only have a couple of minutes... will respond more later, and so will others.

sounds like you have things under control - even with all that stress you have. as for the recovery - you will not be able to lift anything heavier than about 15 pounds for a few weeks. fortunately, tiny babies don't weigh that much [do they?????]

but you'll need a whole lot of sleep for yourself, especially the first week.

so DEFINITELY you'll need help the first week you're home, both for you and for your daughter, but i doubt that you'll have to send the baby away... except for the time you're in the hospital.

and you'll LOVE the help the second week, especially for the baby so that you can get the sleep you'll need [but unless something weird happens, you should be OK taking care of yourself - a bit uncomfortable, but mobile and functional]. and you'll APPRECIATE it the third... <see where i'm going with this???>
more later!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #4  
SMILESAREPRICELESS

hey..this is a quick ADDITIONAL question,

Let's say we're talking about OPEN and not the laproscopic surgery, what do you mean when you mention your daughter helped you with drains, etc??

Of course my darling husband won't be here so i'm not sure how CLOSE i want my mother-n-law, and friends getting to me naked..LOL

Please Please clarify. I know it sounds silly, but i'm pretty modest and need to know..
smilesarepriceless is offline   Reply With Quote