Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #1  
Shake Your Booty!

Default Question about WW vs Carbs

Hiya

I did WW many years ago after my 1st child was born and did very well on it, but 2 children after WW and my fondess of eating has got me where I am today. I tried the low carb deal and frankly it was a tad bit annoying to me, I love pasta, breads, potatoes and such. I know now to eat things in limited quantities...but here is my question, I know alot of WW now is done by points, but some of the meals (from their cookbook) show the total carbs as high as 46 grams per serving. So now, if the servings of carbs are that high, how do you lose weight with WW then? I sure hope I made sense cuz I know what I'm trying to say I just wish you could hear me say it, I think it would make more sense LOL

I just wanna loose this dang weight and I'm afraid of carbs now from DrAtkins himself..*sigh* why is eating so easy and loosing so hard
Old 03-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #2  
it's always something

Weight Watchers is more of a calorie controlled diet. The points are based on calories, fat, and fiber. You eat your daily limit of points, and you consume a controlled amount of food (calories). Most experts believe that it is the calories that should be controlled, not the number of carbs. I personally lost weight on a very high carb diet. Weight Watchers is the only diet plan that has proven their success, and their diet has never limited total carbs - just total food. It's all about portion control. The new WW Core program has a focus on "good carbs", which many believe is a way to compete with the popularity of the South Beach Diet. However, the plan itself is not very popular. Those that love it, LOVE it, but according to our survey, only 1 in 10 stay on core, the rest are on flex. Our mother (a WW Lifetime member) says no one at her center is on Core.

The diet that works for you is the one that fits your lifestyle and personal tastes, because this is the diet that you will stick with. All diets work, whether low carb or low fat (low calorie). Low carb diets cause a faster weight loss initially, but then they slow down. Over the course of a year, low carb diets and low fat diets result in the same amount of weight loss. However, of those that regain weight, the ones that followed low carb diets regain more weight, and faster. Of the successful dieters that kept the weight off long term, as tracked through the National Weight Control Registry, only a tiny percentage were successful with low carb diets. Low fat dieters had the most success.

So don't be afraid of the total carbs. It's portion control that will help you lose the weight
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Weight Watchers has changed the plan a bit over the last 2 years or so and they encourage people to eat complex carbs like whole grain bread products, whole wheat pasta, brown rice etc, high fibre cereals, etc. You can still eat regular flour products if you want to they just suggest that unrefined wheat products are better choices for nutritional benefits.

You can still have your carbs and lose. The trick is to undo the mind set of your previous diet where carbs were off limits which I know is hard but you have to train yourself to think in terms of your new plan.

Also if you are exercising then you need the carbs to help fuel your body. Basically complex carbs give you more bang for your nutritional buck.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

I'll ditto what both said.

Remember weight loss all boils down to calories in vs calories out and it doesn't matter if it comes from carbs, protien or fats (actually some sort of a balance is best). If you eat more calories than you expend you gain, if you eat less than you expend you lose. It is all based on basal metabolic rate (I have more info if you want it).

W/W has 3 basic PointsPies (more commonly know as Eating by the Numbers) where you can eat totally balanced or a bit higher carb or lower carb (I have this info and posted it several times in the past few weeks if you do a search if you want it).

The last thing (most will also say this too) if you work the program it works for you and you will lose.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:31 PM   #5  
Shake Your Booty!

Thank you all for your repsonses I do appreciate it Well I am sitting here eating a turkey sandwhich on lite whole fiber bread and man is it GOOD! Again thanks...Portion control, and counting calories is the way to go (with a little help from Richard Simmons) I think I'll be just fine.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Your welcome One thing I find now that I switched over is that I feel more satisfied when I eat a sandwich made from whole grain bread... the texture and density make a difference to the taste too.
Closed Thread