Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #1  

Default RightSize Smoothie?

I keep hearing the ad for this on the radio and I have to admit I'm curious.
anyone else heard,tried or is using this product>

Mel
Old 02-28-2005, 08:48 PM   #2  
Gym'll fix it!!

Not heard of this one so i've just been over to their website and it contains something called Appemine??? that supposedly curbs your appetite I should imagine that Appemine is something that they made up and each shake cost $1.66. I can't imagine its any different from all the other shakes out there.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #3  
it's always something

Ok, well you probably know I won't be supportive of a product like this

Ingredients:
Dehydrated cane juice crystals, - sugar It is usually less processed than the white sugar you buy at the supermarket, but your body knows it's sugar.

soy protein isolate with isoflavones, soy protein concentrate,
sunflower oil, natural and artificial flavors,
Just ordinary ingredients found in protein or other drink mixes

Mineral Blend: (dicalcium phosphate, magnesium oxide, zinc citrate, sodium molybdate, GTF chromium dinicotinate glycinate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenate, copper oxide, and potassium iodide), - nothing special here

Appemine™(guarana seed extract, green tea leaf extract, cinnamon twig extract, galangal root extract, cayenne pepper fruit, Citrus aurantium fruit extract, and white willow bark extract ), - Don't you love it when these companies make up weird names for herbal mixtures and trademark them so they sound like something from a trusted pharmacy? The guarana seeed and green tea extracts provide caffeine. The Citrus aurantium is bad bad bad! See this article for more info on that. Cayenne - about as useful for weight loss as a trip to Taco Bell. The other items listed are also not useful for weight loss.

Gum Blend (cellulose gum, xanthan gum, carrageenan), silica Just ordinary fillers.

Vitamin Blend:
(ascorbic acid, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, niacinamide, D-calcium pantothenate, cholecalciferol, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid, d-biotin, and cyanocobalamin), Yep, that's a vitamin blend!

acesulfame potassium, maltodextrin Sweeteners, fillers

Glycemic Support Blend: [vanadyl sulfate (supplying 200 mcg of vanadium) and chromium polynicotinate]. Give me a break! We discussed vanadium in our trimspa threads -- "Some studies show that large doses may help regulate blood sugar. But not all diabetics respond, and very large doses are needed. Side effects may include cramping and diarrhea, and no one knows what the long term effects may be. Should be taken under advice of a doctor." Regarding the chromium polynicotinate, this is usually another good indication you are being snookered. This item has been proven not to do anything for weight loss. "Chromium is believed to be an essential trace mineral. One form, chromium picolinate, has been sold as a weight loss aid for many years. It is claimed to boost athletic performance, build muscle, and promote weight loss. The Federal Trade Commission have determined these claims to be deceptive. While chromium may have health benefits, extensive clinical trials have shown that chromium does not have an effect on weight loss. Chromium can cause side effects in many people, including everything from stomach discomfort to genetic mutations in DNA. Chromium may also interfere with other supplements or medications. "

My personal conclusion: Each smoothie contains 110 calories (without the milk), only 9 grams of protein, about 50% daily allowance of a few of your vitamins, and a whole slew of herbs that are either useless for weight loss or are potentially dangerous. A one month supply costs between 40 and 50 bucks! What a ripoff.

I love to make my own smoothies. I use a scoop of plain protein powder, some partially frozen strawberries or raspberries, plain yogurt, enough skim milk to get to thin it out, and a few packets of Splenda to sweeten it. It's really good and tastes wonderful because there isn't a lot of crap in it, and the flavors are natural. I take a daily multivitamin that costs a few cents per day.

Products like these (and the ingredients in them) are not regulated, so they are not required to back up their claims.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sweetmel, if you are still on South Beach, this is definitely not for you. Check out the South Beach Recipe section for Protein shakes, etc.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #5  

Wow! Thanks guys, nope I'm off the SBD and back at Weight Watchers and I plan to stay with them this time around because I need the accountablity of being weighed in each week. Plus I like the meetings.
Closed Thread