Old 02-28-2005, 07:24 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Unhappy I just don't understand!

I have a problem. I completely blew this whole weekend. I drove to my sister's on Friday (about a 4-hour drive). When I left work, I went to Wendy's and got 2 jr. bacon cheeseburgers, a biggie fry, and a large frosty (the frosty felt SO good on my sore throat) so I could eat in the car. Great way to start the weekend off, huh? So I knew I HAD to be extra good to make up for it over the rest of the weekend. When I arrived at her house, her boyfriend got us all take-out Chinese food (a major weakness of mine). Chinese chicken and veggies with white rice? Oh nonono...I had sesame chicken, shrimp lo mein, and sweet and sour chicken (all dripping with sauce and filled with enough sodium to last me a year, I'm sure). So, Friday was blown. Fine, I'd do better the next day, right? HA! We went to a diner for breakfast (2 eggs w/cheese, 2 sausages, and home fries). Dinner could have been worse, but still wasn't necessarily good (fajitas at home--chicken, peppers, lettuce, FULL-FAT SOUR CREAM, FULL-FAT CHEESE). Yesterday, we had English muffin breakfast sandwiches (again with the full-fat cheese, full-fat sausage, and eggs), then went to a bridal expo (lots of free cookies, chocolates, candies...), and then I repeated Friday's Wendy's meal for dinner in the car on my way home (plus a biggie REGULAR coke!). I hadn't been drinking anything but diet pepsi and apple and orange juices all weekend, so lots of empty calories and no water intake for me! I feared my scale this morning. I can't even express in words how badly I felt about the disasterous weekend. My last weigh-in had me at 306, so I figured I'd be at least at 309, maybe even all the way back up to the 310.5 where I started--maybe even more since TOM arrives tomorrow!! I did it. I stepped on the scale--the only scale I use at the same time I always weight myself (as soon as I get up, after I go to the bathroom). I peered through half-closed eyes, not wanting to face the reality of the big step backwards I had made in only 3 days...306.5. No, it couldn't be right. I got off the scale and back on. 306.5. I still didn't believe it. I thought maybe I had stepped on it too soon when it turned on, so the calibration was off (it's a digital scale). I let it turn off, then turned it back on, careful not to touch it until it read 0. 306.5.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?! I didn't exercise. I didn't drink water. I broke ALL the rules. I KNOW I surpassed my 1800 calories per day--heck, I took a flying leap over 2000, I'm sure. Now, believe me, I am not complaining. I will take a .5 pound gain over a 5 pound gain anytime. I just don't understand. So it would seem to me that had I just cut out one of the trips to Wendy's, maybe I wouldn't have gained at all. It just seems so wrong. Y'all don't have to respond. I'm really just ranting to get it off my chest. I am just so confused! If I can be eating THAT much and gaining so little, then I should be able to still eat all of that horribly-unhealthy food, just a little less of it, and lose weight! (I know that's not true, nor is it healthy, but it really does make me second guess all of my weight-loss techniques). I DON'T KNOW!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #2  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Hi Jill!

Besides the food -it sounds like you had a fun weekend. Our bodies play funny tricks. When we "pig out" it may not show up on the scale right away - maybe not for a week or two. So just remember that in 2 weeks time when you have a gain but were good that whole week.

What's important is what are you going to do today? exercise and water!
Ask yourself what could you have done better? maybe stay in control when you were by yourself - while driving? I think it's okay to have a fun eating weekend with friends once in a while - don't beat yourself up. What's important is what you do today.

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:27 AM   #3  
Learning to love ME!

I agree that there's often a lag in weight changes showing up on the scale, which is confusing and frustrating when you've been following your plan strictly, but dangerous when you've been overeating and the gain doesn't show up on the scale (I know I convince myself that it's a good thing to overeat). Of course, this is "real life" and I think sometimes it's OK to overeat for psychological, emotional, or social reasons. It's how you deal with the slip up that's important. I'd make an extra effort to be kind to yourself, and remind yourself that you changed your eating habits and started exercising to be kind to yourself.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

Wow, I have heard/read before that it can take 1-2 days after a binge for it to schow up on the scale...enough time for your body to digest, process, and use/store everything. I have never heard of it taking 1-2 weeks, though. That doesn't seem even physically possible for something to be in your body for 2 weeks and go unregistered. I guess it doesn't help that there are so many differring/contradictory resources out there. There is a big difference between 1-2 days and 1-2 weeks. This only increases my frustration!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #5  
Jenny

I bombed this weekend too. Just try to remember when you really really hit those cravings and can't turn them down to eat half or even a a 1/4 of what you would have normally eaten. That's what I'm trying to do. I went to a chinese buffet on Sunday for lunch and ony ate one plate of food even though I could normally eat two plates *I'm a hog*
thefictionalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

We had friends come visit from out of town this past week, too, Jilly. I ended up eating some unplanned for meals. We loved seeing them and had a great time. I agree with Dana, just concentrate on today. I would suggest not even worrying that much about how and when it might show up on the scale. Whenever I get too caught up with the scale numbers I just get overly agitated and frustrated with what I'm doing and I don't find it constructive. Hang in there!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #7  

Hi Jillybean! First of all, count yourself lucky that it didn't show up as a big gain on the scale, and remember that our bodies work in mysterious ways! Now, the trick is to not let yourself use this bit of luck as an excuse for next time. This isn't just about the numbers on the scale. You know that the quality and quantity of foods you ate were not in keeping with a healthy lifestyle, and that your body deserves better than that. If you get caught up in the mindset that you can get away with eating like that without too much damage on the scale, then you will only end up cheating yourself in the long run. I don't think that you have any intention of making a habit out of this, and that you were just confused as to how it could be possible, I know I've felt the same way before too. So as long as you look at this as a happy little unexpected surprise, but ultimately remain focused on your healthy lifestyle goals, you can just chalk it up to plain old good luck and remember to make better choices next time.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

You've been given some great advice. I agree. Your three days of uncontrolled eating are in your past. Forget what you ate, how little or how much your scale moved because of it and get back on track of eating healthy, getting in exercise, and drinking your water. I know why it boggles your mind. I've been there. You want to know why it is that you can eat like you used to eat and not gain but a half a pound. Yet, when you work your butt off, feel like you are starving yourself and see the same results, it just doesn't seem fair.

I think what they mean by it taking 1-2 weeks to show up on the scale is that same viscous cycle--you didn't see a change or the big gain you expected so you start getting lax on your eating, exercising, and water. Boom, your body reacts by stockpiling.

I'd say just get back to business and don't let it worry you.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #9  

Got a bit off-track as whell this week-end. Nothing to help with the plateau i've hit last week

It was a very emotionally challenged week-end. My grandmother passed away Thursday. It was not a big surprise as she was 90 years old and had two heart attacks within past 4 months.

Even if this was to be expected, it's always hard to loose someone you love. Furthermore i had to take announce the bad news to my parents who are off to their Flordia appartment for the winter....

Since i'm an emotional eater, i just jumped in the buffet that was served after the funeral....

I burned a lot Sunday (2.5 hours of X-country ski + 45 minutes walk fast pace) but i'm sure some extra got stored....

Back on track as of today....
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

wow, frenchie, so sorry to hear that. My friends that came and visited just lost their grandmother last week. No, it's never easy to lose someone you love. Take it easy.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Oh Frenchie--so sorry to hear about your loss.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #12  
Cynthia

Frenchie, I am sorry for your loss.

Jill, there is another explanation for the weirdness of the scale. Sometimes we can shock our bodies into losing weight by doing the darndest thing and varying our food intake. If you have been consistently at 1800 calories then this weekend was a shock for your body and jolted it into action. I know you didn't lose, but the gain was very small.

Some folks who do Weight Watchers do something called a "Wendy Plan" when their weight loss has stalled. This plan calls for you to vary your daily food intake rather widely as far as amounts go. The layman theory is that your body will never be able to figure out what it going on and thus will stay inefficient at processing the food. You did something simlar, but it would not work if you kept eating the larger amounts.

I've had large losses after binges myself, but the binge was only one day. It was usually during a period where I had been eating relatively the same amount of food calorie wise over a few weeks. Something about the large amount jolts the metabolism I guess, I don't really know. Just count yourself lucky and get back to your regular eating program.
Red Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

Thanks, Red! That actually makes sense to me. I feel better having an explanation (whether it is right or not, at least it's understandable for me).
Old 02-28-2005, 05:31 PM   #14  
missaprylj

Frenchie- Accept my sympathy for your loss.

Jilly- Ah! So many of us had *terrible* eating weekends. My pants are getting snug again as well... I can't mess up the 11lbs. I've taken off this year! I just decided to *stop* this afternoon. The thing is, we just have to not let it slide into tomorrow. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #15  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Frenchie, Sorry to hear about your grandma ~ thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Jilly ~ hang in there ~ you are not alone.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote