Support Groups - Sanctuary- #11 Everyone Welcome!

View Full Version : Sanctuary- #11 Everyone Welcome!

Skittles
02-25-2005, 07:29 AM
http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/203718/Welcome/welcome20sparkles20with20violets.gif

What we really want in a weight loss support group, boils down to one concept; we are looking for a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and sometimes the choice isn't ours, but circumstances forces it upon us. Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and especially those in need of and willing to offer support

Skittles
02-25-2005, 07:46 AM
Morning Everyone,

Today I am focusing on the Question "What excites me?" Which is a great question Gloria. But before that I want to say, Tricia, I am sorry for your dog, but you did the right thing. And as far as falling off the wagon, I just get back up and start again. I don't try to make up for it the next day, could do a little more exercise, but I don't punish myself by restricting the calories for the next day, because that may not be as healthy.

Ok, back to the question....
These answers are in no particular order.
My husband, my animals, and the silly things they do.
My family, it is so unique.
All animals, especially piggies, I love piggies. And Swans, especially black swans.
Books, I love to read, I love the smell of old books, I love bookstores, I could spend hours in a book store. And on the note of books, I love English Literature; The Bronte's, Austen, Wilde, Shakespeare, Milton, Thackery, just to name a few, but Charlotte Bronte is my favorite, She is a kindred spirit, I am fascinated by her.
Water, swimming, waterfalls, rain, I love the water, it is very cleansing.
Calla Lillies, Heather, Lilacs, Wisteria, Roses, English gardens.
Mystery of life, my spiritual growth, it excites me, I love to learn.
Fairies, Magical beings, fantastical delights.
Duran Duran, Morrissey, Bette Midler, I could listen to them all day. Duran Duran makes me feel youthful, Bette Midler makes me feel independent, and Morrissey makes me feel responsible.
Art, drawing, painting, creating, writing. Others work and doing my own.
Knowing I've made a difference in someones life.

Yep that is just a few of the things that excite me. My garden will excite me when I actually get to plant it. It snowed again last night.

qsilver
02-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey everyone :)

Thanks Skittles for getting a new thread started. :) Loved your list. I could slide myself into yours easily. Faeries! Books! Ok, not sure about the piggies, but they are awfully cute. ;)

Tricia, I guess it depends on how far I was off program and for how long? I usually try to finish out the day reasonably, but going without food for the rest of the day just makes things worse for me. I know sometimes when I've been off for a few days, I go back to the very basics of my food plan. The starter plan is lower carb and higher protein. 3-5 days of that is usually enough to get me back off the sugars and back on plan.

Kat, you all snowed in or are you still sleeping off your last zillion days of work? I miss you!

I worked pretty hard last night. Someone offered me a typing job that I could do during my regular job, so I spent 3+ hours typing. I think there should only be just under 2 hours left to go tonight. I could use more jobs like that! But it did leave me pretty exhausted by morning, and I just caught myself dozing here at the keyboard. Guess I'd better get to bed! :lol:

Andria

katrinabgood
02-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Hi kids! I feel as though I haven't been here in forever and really miss all of you! Time to get caught up.

2x2? What's that? I am so far off track I need a map to find my way back. I know that coming here is the key to keeping me focused. I'm not quite sure what's fueling the self-sabotage here. I don't feel particularly sad or depressed. Work still stinks, but that's status quo. I don't know. I do feel as though I'm coming out of the funk <again, I know> but I totally relate to what Andria had said......when I've been running a light depression. My house is a disaster, I haven't been exercising like normal, and my eating is stagnant. I get to where I'm eating exactly the same foods every day. I do my best to not cook, I wear the same rotation of clothing (at least I don't get so bad that they aren't washed!), and I isolate myself in the house. I could have written that, word for word!! I'm not even PMSing. Post MSing perhaps?

Anyway...

I like the thought of focusing on what excites me...In the depths of my despair sometimes I will conjure up the images of things that make me happy and it truly helps.

In no particular order, here are some things that excite me:

Gardening. I am SO looking forward to Spring! Already I see daffodil and hyacinth shoots just starting to pop. Well, I could before the last barrage of snow was dumped on them! I'm chomping at the bit to start my seedlings. Have been pouring over Spring Hill Nurseries Catalog. Since we cut down a huge maple tree last fall, I have tons of sunlight in the backyard now. Can't wait to get started on a vegetable garden. I've only ever done tomatoes and some herbs before. Gloria...I know exactly what you mean about watching that tomato grow and ripen. Watching them mature on the vine, I feel as though I've given birth to them! I'm so proud! Geez, I'll be busting at the seams when the zucchini start multiplying!

The beach. All seasons. I love the ocean.

My family. Just hanging out together. Laughing. Mocking each other. Playing cards. Watching movies.

Hiking. Woodsy trails in local parks.

Survivor! This year, so far, seems a bit more interesting than last year's stinker. I LOVE Ian! And Tom! And Janu! Dislike: Coby. Kim.

Re-decorating plans. Dh is getting a substantial bonus this year. He wants to spend it on a mega TV. :rolleyes: We're going to re-do our family room to accomodate the monstrosity. :cp: Everyone is happy!

Mexico! 29 days til Playa del Carmen! Woo hoo! Ole! (do I still have time to drop 50 lbs? No? Damn.)

Music. In the cd turntable at the moment: Carbon Leaf: Indian Summer :love: Graham Nash: Songs for Beginners. James Taylor's Greatest Hits. Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks. Bob Dylan: Desire.

There must be more...will ponder this a bit more....

Lucky...Just think...you really are lucky. You haven't caught anything from your flu ridden family! I hope everyone is on the mend. Keep listening to Dr Phil. He's burrowing into your subconscious. He'll keep you in line!

Skittles, I'm glad to hear that hubby's echo went so well! So sorry to hear about your friend's husband. A friend of mine, at work, just lost her husband to cancer. So sad. Makes you treasure life that much more when death hits so close to home.

Tricia. I'm so sorry to hear about your doggy. Interesting revelation about punishing yourself. When I stop to consider what I'm doing when I'm on a binge, I realize that I am punishing myself. For being fat. So I eat more. Because that's really just a way for me to avoid owning up to that responsibilty. Yep. Gotta work on that. Big time.

BarbPa...Nice going in AC! How are you feeling these days?

BarbG...What's new, Mustang Sally? (do you love that song? I do!)

Is that eveyone? Oh, yeah....Tony! Hey, dude! What's new? Exams over yet? Come back and see us!

Wow, I have been here WAY longer than planned. I really have to get moving. I PROMISED myself that today I would make significant progress in the 'clearing the family room of a ton of junk' project. Heh. No, really! I will! I swear! If I can tear myself away from this computer!

"See" you all later!

LuckyLadyBug
02-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Tricia:
WOW, a revelation “punishing yourself” by overeating. Thanks for sharing your “light bulb moment” because it hit home with me too.

I also relate to the whining – I actually was talking myself into just resigning to live at this weight the rest of my life. I need to follow you and “shake up my attitude and turn over a new leaf”.

I know I control my eating - I just hate that I control it by stuffing myself with food instead of controlling it by NOT overeating.

You would think I could just switch those two, wouldn’t you?

YEWWWWW boys are SO gross – and they don’t get better with age. (well, not that much better)

Gloria, I watch reruns of Law & Order all the time too. The only new regular shows I like are the new Law & Order shows :lol: – oh and of course, thanks to Mike the plumber, Desperate Housewives. :s: :yes:

Have you seen the advertisements for the new Law & Order – something to do with the courtroom stuff?

What excites me: peaceful days at home, family, friends, picking the tomatoes I have grown, Eric Clapton concerts, scrap booking, reading your posts, reading, sitting on the porch (weather permitting), listening to the quiet, (I live in the country). I truly enjoy my nieces and nephews. We laugh a lot together, Angels, and Mike the Plumber!!!!

LuckyLadyBug
02-25-2005, 04:53 PM
I really don't like most fruits and vegtables - makes it hard to eat "right". On the other hand in my late twenties and through most of my thirties I made my own yogurt and made a health shake for breakfast with raw eggs!!!!! (can you hear the Rocky theme???)

OH, to be so young again. :)

LuckyLadyBug
02-25-2005, 10:17 PM
H A P P Y

B I R T H D A Y
LAURA

:gift: :cb: :hb:

LuckyLadyBug
02-26-2005, 03:17 PM
I just got back for our marathon baking of cookies for the troops. I am happy to report I only ate ONE cookie.

I am pooped now. I got up at 6AM to stir up my cookies and then we (people from work) met at the community center and baked our hearts out.

We are shipping them dozens and dozens of cookies. My feet are tired so I think it's time for some foot R & R.

I will check in later.

c bo be
02-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Hello everyone!

I just ended one of the worst weeks at work I've ever had. I just don't get it. Why can't grown women work together without all the bickering. I don't mean that all women are that way, but I've never been in a work environment where women gossip and act like they're still in highschool. Get over it. Grow up! It's a waste of energy. We go through this every year and it still focuses back to a couple people who spoil it for everyone. Quit your *****ing! Ok, I feel better now. This was a disasterous week for any healthful goals. I am emotionally zapped and need to get my goals back into check. I need to post every day if I can. It does help to keep me motivated. Anyway, back in the saddle again. Yee Haw!

Things that excite me in no particular order.

My husband, daughter, grandson and dog tootsie (of course).

I love to play games. Any kind. Cards, euchre, poker, blitz, catch phraze, taboo,
boggle, also yard games of any kind. I love Boccee ball, volley ball, croquet, golf.

I love to dance! Any kind.

I love to shoot pool.

I love to walk in our park with hubby and tootsie and friends.

Hanging out with my friends.

Boating, jet skiing, tubing, campfires, cookouts.

I have a passion for flower gardening. I love digging in the dirt. I am at peace when I'm out in my yard in the flower beds.

Movies, movies and movies. We go to the movies every weekend.

I love redecorating. My favorite shows are about redoing your house. Love it. I paint and redo some of my rooms every year.

Antique shopping, craft fairs, etc.

Anyway, thats alot of what I like to do. I better get busy and enjoy the rest of my weekend before I go back to the funny farm. Later chickadees! cheryll

katrinabgood
02-27-2005, 09:17 AM
How's everyone today?

Happy Birthday, Laura! <belated> :hb: Did you have a fun filled, action packed birthday? I hope it was what you wanted it to be!

Last night I had dinner out with 'the girls.' It was fun, just playing catch up, comparing pictures and stories about husbands and kids, reminiscing. We all started working together 27 years ago...young and single. Work was so much fun in those days! We worked the 3-11 shift, we'd go out after work together, a few of us had gone on vactions together... Then one by one, someone would move on, get married, get on with their life. I'm the only schmuck still in the same job! Well, the same place, anyway.

But we have a lot of fun. Never run out of things to talk about. Who's got kids in college, in diapers, in trouble, in love...husbands who've had heart attacks...who's started having hot flashes...(we're all amazed that we're at that age!) Where we're going on vacation...how our aging parents are doing....so many topics, so little time! Lots of laughter. It was fun!

AND...ate pretty well, I must say. Nothing over the top...no dessert. My son and I had gone to the gym yesterday afternoon and I had gotten a good workout in, so I didn't want to sabotage that. No guilt!

Okay, my coffee's done and my muffins are cooling. I'm off to read the paper and have a healthy breakfast. We're going to see my daughter sing today with the school choir. They're kicking off a 'choir tour' for a week and a half throughout NY, NJ and PA, during their spring break. They'll stay with various families during the tour. Should make for some good stories!

All right, I'm done...

Have a great day all!

LuckyLadyBug
02-27-2005, 09:31 AM
H A P P Y

36th

B I R T H D A Y
Tricia

:gift: :cb: :hb:

Compared to me you are still a :bb: Hope you are having a great day.

BarbPA
02-27-2005, 05:05 PM
HELLO CHICKS!!!

I'm back - sort of. :p At least I am more ready to get back in posting and trying to catch up with everyone and meet the new folks!!

Most of you know it's been an incredibly rough month on me with my mother's sudden death and our IVF cycle. I am slowly starting to feel a little better and smile and laugh more. :)

Just to catch up those of you that have been following our journey to conceive a child through IVF :bb: ....we have the one little frozen embryo in the lab that was frozen they day we left for FL. Last week we started the process to prepare my body for the transfer...then on Thursday we cancelled the cycle because my hormone levels got wacky and we weren't sure what was going on. Now we have changed our plans. Instead of relying on the one little snowbaby we have decided to keep it frozen and start over with a fresh cycle again to maximize our chances by having more embryos to transfer. We have an appt. on Thursday to speak with the Dr. about changes to our protocol to try to improve the number of eggs my body produces. Depending on the protocol he prescibes we will begin again in mid-March or April. I'll keep you posted.

I continue to grieve for my mother, :angel: but everyday it gets a teeny bit easier. I am slowing able to talk more about her and think of her and laugh instead of cry. There are still tears now and then, but I know she is still with me. My father is doing well -- I was so worried about him, but he is surprising me. I know he has difficult moments, as we all do, but he is spending some time with friends and has even joined a weekly poker game. As I see him getting stronger it is helping me. It's so tough being far away but we stay in touch almost daily.

My spirits are pretty good. I have a wonderful support group of friends - both Cyber and Real Life. :D Thank you all for you thoughts and prayers during this time, as well as the messages and beautiful cards. Jeff has been wonderful and we are getting through everything together.

I finally got the courage to get on the scale last week, for the first time since Christmas. I put on about 6-8 pounds. It's my own fault - exercise has been a distant memory and food has not been great! I am at least proud that I can recognize what I need to do. Now I need to DO IT! :dizzy:

It's been difficult to keep up with everyone lately, but I have been lurking around. I'd like to CONGRATULATE :cp: the Losers, send HUGS :grouphug: to anyone that needs them, WELCOME :wave: the newbies and apologize for my absense. I will do better! :high: I want to be here to support all of you and we work on this journey together!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAURA & TRICIA! :hb:

Have a wonderful day! Talk to you soon!
Love,
Barb
:gossip:

5 dogs
02-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Hello Friends,
Just got back form the movies with my mother in law. Wanted to let all of you know that I'm still alive and hope to post tomorrow.
See you then.
Gloria
http://home.ripway.com/2005-2/258262/friends.gif

BarbPA
02-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Good Morning Gang! :coffee:

I hope everyone's day is off to a good start! We are getting a snowstorm here today so I decided to skip the commute to the office and work at home today. Thank goodness I have that flexibility!

Guess what I did this morning!?!?! I forced myself out of bed into workout clothes and got on the treadmill for 20 minutes and then did an arm workout with 5lb weights! It felt so good! Now I need to remember that feeling so tommorow I do it again! :D

Now I've gotta start on some work, I'll check back later!

Have a great day!
Hugs!
Barb
:grouphug:

lucky
02-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all of the nice birthday wishes! For my "special" day I started spring cleaning. Why is it that the house gets MESSIER before it gets CLEANER when I do this? Greg brought cupcakes home dessert last night - for the kids more than for me - you know they can't have a birthday party without candles and cake! He was sweet enough to buy the mini cupcakes and only a few of them. So, I was able to have one with the kids after they had sung "happy birthday" but they all had a couple each so there weren't any left over to tempt me the rest of the night or today. And thank goodness - TOM is here and I would not have been able to resist the chocolate!

HIP HIP HORRAY! I think the scale is starting to inch downward again. At a much slower pace than when I started, of course, but inching down nonetheless. I've been working towards a 1.5 lb loss per week but I'm not sure that is realistic at this point. I won't know if I don't try though so I'm just going to plug along and try not to be too disappointed if I have only .5 lb loss (or less) some weeks.

Also, I'm going to try a little mind game with myself. I tend to get frustrated when I consider I still have almost 40 lbs to lose. Even though I know that really isn't much in the big scheme of things. But, you know, I'm to the point where I feel like I've been doing this forever and even though I see progress feel like I should be seing a lot more. Anyway, I'm going to change all of my tickers and charts, etc. and look at this as a brand new month and the very start of my weight loss journey. So maybe instead of thinking, " I've lost 42 lbs and, UGH, have 40 more to go!" I can think, "Hey, I've only got 40 lbs to lose. I can do this!" I don't know if it will work but If I'm going to do this for the rest of my life I've got to get rid of this "never going to get there" attitude. Plus, I'm trying to focus on what it will be like once I reach my goal. I know I'll still have to measure and weigh my food, exercise regularly, etc. but I feel like my attitude will be different towards it all. I think it will seem less like a chore when I'm doing it to maintain instead of to lose. Sort of like housecleaning, when it gets really messy it is a lot of hard work and very daunting but once it is clean from top to bottom and you only have to clean a little here and there each day to keep it up it isn't so bad.

Good heavens, I have cleaning on the brain! I guess that means I need to get back to it. Oh, and for anyone who hasn't tried the Swifter Wet Mop buy one TODAY! I picked one up this weekend and it is great. I will still give my floors a good scrubbing every now and this but this thing sure make the general upkeep of the floors much easier. And best of all it is easy enough for the kids to use. In fact, they LOVE using it because they like to make it squirt. My three were fighting over it yesterday. I set a timer for each of their turns and they had all of the floors sparkling in no time! Boy is it nice to have cheap child labor!

BarbPA: Good for you! Isn't it strange how soon we forget how good some things feel? I wonder why that is? I mean, I've never gotten a massage or a facial and awoke the next morning thinking, "Gee, that felt good but I don't really want to do it again today!" Weird. And I am so glad to read that you are slowly but surely starting to feel like yourself again. It sounds like you are doing the best thing in terms of your little "snowbaby." I am sure the whole process must be very trying and anything you can do to increase your odds of not having to go through it again has to be a good thing. Good luck and I will continue to keep you in my thoughts.

Gloria: What movie did you see? Anything good? Greg and I used to love going to the movies but don't get to do it much anymore. We have date night on Saturdays, though, and get the kids to bed early, make a special dinner and watch a rented movie. Not quite as good as the old dinner and a movie dates but better than nothing!

Kat: Coffee and muffins! Now that sounds like a perfect weekend morning. How did your daughters concert go? I have secret hopes that at least one of my children will want to persue voice lessons. I'm not interested in being a singer per say, but I can't even carry a tune in a bucket. As an adult, voice is one of those things that I wish I had practiced a little when I was younger. Oh, well, hindsight is 20/20. Unfortunately, I've got too many inhabitions to give it a go at this age.

Lucky: Hurray! Just one cookie. That is especially impressive given that you were sourrounded by them. Good for you!

Okay, this time I'm really going. Hope you all have a terrific day!

Tricia

5 dogs
02-28-2005, 01:16 PM
We went to see Lemony Snicket's Tricia. The one with Jim Carrey in it. It was okay, nothing to get excited about. I little to dark for kids to see in my opinion.

I made a birthday card for Tricia and Laura but for some reason i cant down load it. I hate computers.

Has anyone heard from Laura? I don't remember if she said she was going on vacation or not. I hope she's okay.

Have lots to do today so better get going.
Hugs to all.
Gloria

LuckyLadyBug
02-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Just a quickie - I am on my lunch hour at work.

I am going to practice "positive" talk to myself. I can fall into the "I can't - I won't ever's" very easily and know it aids in my failures. So, that's what I have been thinking about this morning.

Later,

5 dogs
02-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Went to the Y this past Friday and weighed myself and was surprised to see that i lost 2 pounds in one week. I think my problem is, when i weigh myself, its usually after i have eaten breakfast or dinner, and i heard you should weigh yourself in the morning before you eat anything. I have just got to get myself a scale.

You know Cheryll, there are a lot of times when i have lots to do and can't post long letters to everyone, so i try to just say hi to everyone. If you have a hard time posting everyday, then just stick your head in and say hi. Sometimes even that will make you feel better.

Three cheers for you BarbPa. YOU GO GIRLFRIEND!!! I bet you felt a lot better after your exercise.

Just got back from food shopping and still have to put all the stuff away.
Talk to you soon.
Gloria

5 dogs
02-28-2005, 08:57 PM
http://home.ripway.com/2005-2/258262/Butterfly.gif

LuckyLadyBug
02-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know where there is a "Graphics Anonymous" support group????

I think we need to have an intervention here!!! :lol:

5 dogs
02-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Surely your not talking about me? :lol3:
I was laying in bed last night thinking about the program Will sent me. I just had to try it out and see if it would work. This is only the beginning friends. Maybe i should change my name to graphics galore.
Later Gator

Glroia, A.K.A. Love them graphics

LuckyLadyBug
03-01-2005, 08:53 AM
One good day done. Now to go for two.

Replies later, I need :coffee: and have to work - they seem to think that is what they are paying me for.

5 dogs
03-01-2005, 09:58 AM
I cant imagine what your boss was thinking Lucky. Wanting you to work for pay.
You may be seeing me around here a lot today. People are coming out to give us a price on spraying our yard to kill off the weeds. I would be very rich if i had a nickel for every dollar weed we have in our yeard, so i have to stick around here and wait on them. I hate waiting for anything or anyone. Carl tells me i am a very inpatient person. Now i know this is going to sound like I'm only two years old, but i want what i want, when i want it.

At the Y that i go to, there is this big bubble covering the pool so it can be used year around. Its like swimming in the Goodyear blimp. This coming Saturday they are taking the bubble down. Yippee skippee. Now i can get some exercise and a nice tan all at the same time.

Its almost 10 o'clock and i still have to eat breakfast so better get going.
Later Gator.
Gloria

qsilver
03-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey everyone :)

I am caught up on reading :), but this is about all I can do for a post :(. I was called in to work last night after one hour of sleep. The new person on our night shift decided to no show and wasn't even polite enough to call and give warning. I'm going to try and get some good sleep in now, just in case they can't cover the shift again tonight. *heavy sigh* I had plans for today! I want to stay here and post, for one. Mostly, I wanted to let you know I wasn't off somewhere being all depressed and eating too much food. I'll do my best to get back in here later for a real post.

Andria

katrinabgood
03-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi there! Just a fly by for me too...hopefully, I can get back in later. I really want to get to the gym and sitting here could easily occupy me for WAY longer than necessary.

My sister and I sucked it up and joined Weight Watchers <again> yesterday. When I work it, I work it very well. Manipulating those points to get as much as I can out of them! For instance...this morning, after working all night, shoveling my car out at work, then shoveling here when I got home...I WAS RAVENOUS! I made myself a hearty breakfast, consisting of an egg white omelet, (3 egg whites) with broccoli and cheese, toast w/I can't believe it's not butter, an orange, and a glass of V8...all for 5.5 points! Got three fruits and veggies in, no problem and was very satisfied. I still have lots of points left for the rest of the day! I like looking for ways to maximize the nutritional value as well as the VOLUME of what I'm eating! :T

Anyway, so far, so good, whatever keeps me on track is a good thing.

Gotta run, I'll try to get back here later!

PS...I'm extremely jealous of swimming and tanning, Miss Gloria!

c bo be
03-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm making this a quick one too. I did do aerobics yesterday and today. Two days so far this week. My husband and I went up to the lakes sat. just for the day. I needed to get away after the week I had at work. I'm trying to stay focused and mentally strong this week.

And Gloria, I saw Lemony Snicketts when it first came out and I thought it was boring. It was a dissapointment. And I hate to say this but you definately need to be in graphics anonymous. Just an observation. Ha, Ha. And talk about being impatient.
That's me through and through. I move so fast sometimes that I have to watch myself because other people don't do the same. It's like whats the problemo people!
Move it, move it, move it. Let's just say I'm an intense person and leave it at that.
Maybe they have a support group for that too. Hmmmm?

Has anyone been watching the bachelorette? The big finale was last night. I sat there for three hours waiting for Jen's decision and at the end of the show she didn't pick anyone. It was aggravating. There was a live audience and some lady got up and said "Ok, Jen, you were engaged to Andrew Firestone and called that off. Then you were on this show to find your soulmate and it looked as if you were having this terrible struggle because you couldn't decide between these two men and then still chose no one. Then the lady preceded to ask her just what it would take to make her happy. I kept wondering was this all for publicity or something. There are so many reality shows now. But I find The Apprentice is my favorite. I love that show.

Ok, I really gotta go.
Later gators,
cheryll

5 dogs
03-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Most embarrassing moment.

Digger our dog likes to cary a shoe around in his mouth. Its never the same shoe and he never chews it up, he just likes carrying someone's shoe around. Anyway, because of this, there is never the same pair of shoes in one place at he same time. We have to go looking for the one missing shoe because Digger has droopped it some place.
My feet were cold this morning but i could only find one slipper of Carl's, and one of mine so i figured a miss match par is better than nothing. Well, the weed spraying guy came out this morning and i forgot i had one big green slipper and one fuzzy pink slipper on my feet. It wasn't till after he left that i realized what i was warning. I guess the guy thought i was some kind of hick or something.
Gloria

c bo be
03-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Most embarrassing moment!

I can't believe I'm even going to tell this, but here goes. It was during the summer and myself and 4 other friends went to play golf. After finishing the 2nd hole we moved onto the 3rd hole and I was keeping score for everyone. Well they all gathered around my golf bag and were giving me their scores, and low and behold I looked up and gave them this look like it might be wise to run. Well, I did it. I farted. But it came from nowhere, and it was this long puttering fart too. Couldn't stop it. Well, these eight little beety eyes were looking at me in disbelief. Then they all said almost simutaneously, RUN! And took off running. Well, I've never been able to live that down. Yep, farting on the golf course with friends is not a good thing.

Have a great day all!
Cheryll

LuckyLadyBug
03-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Gloria, I can't read your posts. All I see is a box with a red X in the middle. Clicking didn't do a thing.

I will re-look tonight at home but on my work computer I can't read a thing :(

lucky
03-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Kat, you are a girl after my own heart. I can find ways to get a LOT of food out of my daily calorie allowences. Greg teases me that I eat more while I'm losing weight than I do when I'm not. And, I swear, he is right! There a some days that I find myself having to squeeze in the last couple hundered calories so that I meet the minimum 1200. Of course, it takes a little more forethought and planning than just grapping something but it is a nice talent to have when I put it to good use!

Gloria, you need to keep track of all these things that happen to you and then write a book. Between the burned rye sandwich and mis-matched slippers you've got a great opening chpater!

I have sooooo many embarrasing moments it is hard to choose just one. The incident that I get the most ribbing from happened in college. My best friend and I were on our way to take an economics exam. We get to class and the professor has a policy of having at least one chair between students during testing. We all start spreading out and I end up at the top tier of the class - maybe 8 or 10 steps (and by steps I mean actual little stairs like in a stadium) up from where we usually sat. My friend managed to sit on the same row as usual but on the aisle. The test starts and it is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. When, out of the blue, my desk colapses and I go skipping on my rear down the steps. There was still a dead silence. I look up and all I can see is the back of my friends head and the big bow she had on top of it (I went to school during the late 80's, early 90's) bobbing up and down. She was laughing SO hard but trying to keep it in so I couldn't hear her, just see that stupid bow. Well, it seemed like I was down there forever but it must have only been a few seconds before the rest of the class gave me a standing ovation. Now, I wasn't fat at the time - in the 130-135 range- but I thought I was a cow. So, as if it weren't embarassing enough to fall but to be FAT and have your chair COLLAPSE! Let me just say that it doesn't get any worse. Turns out some practical joker had taken all of the bolts and screws out of the desk so it looked sturdy until someone sat in it and wiggled a little. And to top it all off, I don't think I even passed the test.

And Cheryll, this same friend was a farter too. But she was one of those girls that was really petite, came across soooo prim and proper (but wasn't!). She could rip one like you would not believe and she could do it on demand. She'd do it in the most public of places and then call one of our names and say in the most discreet of tones, "So and so, please, I can't believe you just did that." Or, she'd just make a face and shoot an accusing glance at someone else. NOBODY EVER THOUGHT SHE DID IT! She was just too girly to look like she could produce something so horrible. And the worst part was that she was so calm in blaming other people that if you did too much arguing it would appear that you were the one trying to cover it up. Oh, she is a rascal. But, to this day, she is one of the dearest and best friends that I have.

Ahhhh, the good ole days!

Hope you all have a good one!
Tricia

5 dogs
03-02-2005, 10:28 AM
I feel thin today. :smug: Do any of you ever have days when you feel thin or fat even though the scale has not moved or your clothes still fit the same? This morning i am having a thin day and i feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I am pumped!! Sorry i cant do the accent.

I had a similar experience as you Cheryll. I have a bathing suit that has this cute little skirt around the bottom. (Hides a lot of my fat upper legs) One day i was in the pool swimming on my back and kicking my legs, when i felt this little gas bubble slip out. I was doing a lot of splashing, so i figured no one noticed. When i got to the end of the pool, this bubble had gotten caught in the skirt so when i stood up, WHOOSH, this bubble came out from under my bathing suit. Of course the life gard was standing there with this little grin on his face. It reminded me of a beached wail.

I think i know all of you well enough to show you some pictures of the house we have in Georgia. When i showed my pictures to the last group i was in, that was when there attitude towards me started to change. I don't want that to happen here, but would like to share the good times as well as the bad with my friends.
As you all know, Carl and i hope to retire in about 4 years. The problem we have is my mother in law. We are the only relitives she has that live close by, and in four years she will be 86. I/We don't want to move and leave her behind but we cant afford a house that would accommodate a two familys. To make a long story short, we found a house in upper Georgia this past Oct. that would do just that. My mother in law would have her own bedroom, bathroom and living room. We would share the kitchen.
Now Carl and I are not rich, but because the previous owners had to sell this house quick, we got a great deal and in our price range. Anyway, i would like to share them with you.

Have to go now but "I'll be back".
Gloria

lucky
03-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Gloria, I for one can't wait to see your pictures. I get really annoyed when peoples' attitudes about a person change based on what they perceive that person to have or not have. If there is one thing I learned growing up and that I am working VERY hard to pass on to my children is that all that matters in friendship is whether or not you enjoy the other person's company - not if they live just like you do. Plus, all of my children are learning that what you own doesn't necessarily reflect what you "have." We are very lucky and have made sound financial decisions along the way but we still live very modestly and well below our means. I have plenty of friends and family who live in nicer homes, drive more expensive cars, and dress from the highest end shops and every single one of them are up to their eyeballs in debt and have a lot less cash in the bank than we do. But some of them can't wait for every opportunity to brag about there stuff. The funny thing is that I also have several friends and family who are absolutley loaded and you would never know it to talk to them. It isn't until you really get to know them that you realize their wealth and, even then, it isn't because they gloated, it is just because you have spent enough time with them to figure it out. And you know what? They worked hard to get to where they are and deserve every dime they've got. I've noticed that most of the people who will discount someone as a person out of jealousy (money, looks, smarts - whatever) very rarely are willing to make the sacrifices that are required to get whatever it is they are so jealous of. I just don't get it.

I know, I'm ranting. But the way I see it, if you go through life the way we are intended to you are going to meet people who have a lot less and people who have a lot more. Why not appreciate them for the people they are either way?

/Steps off of soapbox.

5 dogs
03-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks Tricia, you are such a sweet person. It sounds like we are in the same boat. I don't think possession are the number one priority when it comes to how you treat your friends/neighbor. I guess that is where i made my first mistake with the other group. It didn't even enter my head that they might think i was bragging about the new house Carl and i bought. I was just so excited that we wont have to worry about my mother in law when we move that i guess i just didn't think about how they would take it.

I am on my way to the Y but when i get back i will try to post them.
Thanks again.
Gloria

BarbPA
03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey Gang -
Well, I am going to be taking another leave from the board! :p This time for a happy reason! DH and I have decided to run away! The past year --- especially the past month --- has taken a toll on us and we need some time alone. We are booking a very last minute cruise vacation. We leave on Saturday evening, fly to Orlando. Then on Sunday we leave from Port Canaveral on a Royal Caribbean ship to the Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Marteen. We'll return home on 3/14.

Now I have to work non-stop until we get on the plane to get organized at work and pack. Somewhere in there I'm going to squeeze in a little shopping trip for a few new things. :) Can't go on a cruise w/o something new.

We think this is the best way to re-connect, relax, and take care of each other for a week!

I'll try to stop back before we leave, but it's going to be a little crazy!

Love to all!
Barb ;)

5 dogs
03-02-2005, 10:33 PM
http://home.ripway.com/2005-2/258262/House.JPG http://home.ripway.com/2005-2/258262/Kitchen.JPG http://home.ripway.com/2005-2/258262/Loft.JPG http://home.ripway.com/2005-2/258262/Livingroom.JPG

lucky
03-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Good for you Barb! A spur of the moment cruise sounds like a perfect idea. I hope you both have a wonderful time. You deserve it after all you've been through. Have a safe trip.

Gloria, your pictures didn't come up, even when I clicked "show picture" Might just be my computer, I don't know.

I am feeling sore this morning. I've increased the weights and added a few new exercises to my routine. Man, what a difference 5 lbs can make! But, I am finally starting to see a difference in shape so I am really motivated. Of course, the scale still isn't moving as fast I want it to but there isn't much I can do about that. I am really pround of my eating habits for the last couple of days. Greg has been out of town and that is usually a trigger for me to go off of my plan. Mostly because I take a break from cooking when he is gone and so what I eat is a lot less structured. I end up snacking instead of eating a meal and that turns into OVER snacking. Last night all three kids asked for cereal for supper and I almost just started sticking my hands into this bag and that one. But, I stopped myself and and made a couple of grilled vegetarian buritos with red onion, corn, black beans, jalepenos, and a little homemade guacamole and 2% cheddar cheese. They weren't much trouble, didn't make a mess of pots and pans, but still filled me up and were more satisfiying than a handful of this and that. In fact, I will probably make another one for lunch. I'm bad about that - finding something I like and getting stuck on it.

I'm headed for the scale. Hopefully I'll have good news to share next time I post. Hope you all have a nice day!

5 dogs
03-03-2005, 09:27 AM
How about now Tricia?

5 dogs
03-03-2005, 09:45 AM
I forgot the living room.

qsilver
03-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Gloria, I can't see the pictures. :( And frankly, I never did get why someone would get all weird over another person's fortune or lack of on an online board. Heck, all we know about each other is what we have here. The internet is a great equalizer. No one is rich or poor, fat or thin. We are our genuine selves, as far as we are willing to be, and our actions dictate that to the fullest. I need a "feeling thin" day soon. Those are the best!

BarbPA, I love how you and your DH remember to take care of each other. Have a really great time!

Tricia, Preach on, sistah! Some of my best friends in the world are the ones who were willing to look beyond socially constructed barriers. They are the people who really matter to me. Almost makes you feel bad for the others. :)

Kat, grats on rejoining WW! Sometimes we need to step back to our basics to get things going. I just hate that it usually involves money! :lol: I definitely want to hear updates. I should get you to post your daily menus and join WW myself, then follow yours. You always do a great job with variety and getting the most out of those points. :)

Cheryll, is work getting any better? One of the ladies at our work is being a bear of late, but it turns out she is having serious troubles at home. We keep praying they will resolve or she will learn how to leave all that at home!

Lucky, everything ok in your world? Sending good vibes your way, in case you need them.

BarbG, haven't seen you in a while, and I owe you a PM from before I last left for the great state of TX. :)

Skittles, I'm embarrassed, but I can't remember what your last post was so I can make a reply. Does it count that I'm thinking about you? :o

I'm sure there are others, but my brain is such sludge today. I did end up being called in again that night, and I am still feeling sleep deprived. Maybe it was because I had somewhat less than 6 hours in about 72? Ugh. No room left for a life in that. My house didn't get cleaned, my bills didn't get paid, and I only got in a bit of exercise. I didn't journal food, but I didn't eat anything too out there, so it probably wasn't bad? Hate that maybe feeling. I'm going to start the morning with a really healthy breakfast and move on from there. Work tonight... BLAH!

Andria

qsilver
03-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Hey, I can see Gloria's pictures now! Wahoo!

lucky
03-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Okay, now I can see them Gloria. A couple of them were a little dark but I think I got the gist of them all. I bet you can't wait to get there! We must have very similar tastes because the style is a lot like our home. I wouldn't trade my front porch for the world. There is no better place to let a day pass you by. Our subdivision is only one street and we are the last house at the end. It is great because there is no traffic except for the those of us who live here and our occasional company. It is great to be able to relax on the porch while the kids play in the front yard or ride their bikes and scooters in the culdesac. Of course, now they are becoming daredevils and want to go to the top of the hill and zoom down. I swear, I could dress them up in coats or armour and my heart would still race watching them speeding back towards me. It is going to break my heart when one of them has their first wreck!

We moved to this house a little over a year ago. We built our first house and planned on building again. I was looking at existing homes, though, so that I could get a mental checklist of amenities, etc. that we wanted to include in our plan. We looked at this one and by golly, it had EVERYTHING, we had on our list and a few more things that we hadn't thought of. That, plus the fact that we could buy this one for a lot cheaper than we could build one just like it, well, we just couldn't pass it up. The floorplan is perfect for us and all of the changes that needed to be made are strictly cosmetic so we are able to take our time putting our personalities into it. I should rephrase that. We COULD take our time. But, I am a want it, want it now type so once I get started the only thing that slows me down is money. And, even then, if we can't afford to have something done I'll get my hands dirty and learn to do it myself.

I completely understand the feeling of excitement you have. Is is great that you are retiring to a place you will be comfortable and you've done the right thing by your mother-in-law. Personally, our home is the most important thing to my family. We are homebodies for the most part and prefer spending our time together here. So, I was like you when we bought this house. It was such a terrific feeling to move into to a place that met our functional needs but was also big enough for each of us to have our own space when we needed it. I guess it is true that home is where the heart is.

Thanks for sharing with us. I am sure you will find that everyone here is just happy that you are happy.

5 dogs
03-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Your story Tricia sounds like ours. We wanted a loft but no bedroom upstairs. They tend to get a little to hot in the summer time, and Carl pointed out that this is our retirement home and when your 80 years old, you may not be able to climb any stairs. All the floor plans we looked at always had a bedroom connected to the loft, so we were looking at hiring a contractor to make up a floor plan starting from scratch. Of course that would mean more money which would make the house we wanted smaller. I live in a small house now, i don't want to retire in one. So when we found this house and it only had a loft, plus it was reduced in price by 60 thousand dollars, i was in heaven.
I am also a "Learn to do it myself" kind of person. I wanted wall paper in the dinning room in the house we live in now. If i waited for Carl to help me put it up, i would still be waiting. I guess you could say I'm the kind of person that if someone tells me i can't do it by myself, well, that is the one thing i am bound and determined to do. I have put up and changed the wall paper five times since living here. Getting pretty good at if i do say so myself.
Well, i must get going and get something done today.
Hugs to all.
Gloria
http://home.ripway.com/2005-2/258262/House.JPG

katrinabgood
03-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Nice pics, Gloria! Your house looks great, much luck and happiness to you and your family there! I will never for the life of me understand why people feel the need to make judgements of others based on so little. A picture of a house? Good grief. Does that change the fun loving, bright person that we've come to know on the board somehow? A house? Gah...I hate people sometimes. Present company excepted, of course. I could really go off on a rant here about stupidity and ignorance, but I am truly working on improving my mind and ridding it of negativity. Trying! I don't know if I posted it here or on the other board, but I'm trying to follow the Four Simple Agreements. Forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but I think they're great guidelines for life, and can't be heard enough...so here goes:

~BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

~DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

~DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

~ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST
Your best is going to change from moment to moment: It will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse and regret.

I need to read that over daily. But I think I'm getting better. Some days, anyway!

I wanted to do replies, but that took what little energy I had left. I worked last night. Met up with a friend for breakfast, where I made wise and wonderful modifications and choices without depriving myself I must say! After that, I went right to the gym which is next door to the Perkins where we ate. I got my friend set up for an evaluation and plans to meet with a trainer to work up a plan for her. She's been a member there longer than I have and hasn't been using her membership at all. I'm a great motivator for other people...it's myself I have problems with sometimes! Anyway, I used the treadmill, but today, instead of just walking, walking, walking...<BORING> I used the cardio program and got a much better workout, with a sustained heart rate of 138-140 for at least 20 minutes. I walked for 30 minutes and then used the leg machines and then hit the pool for about 30 minutes of laps. I tell you, when I'm good, I'm very very good, but when I am bad I'm rotten! So I'm working on decreasing the rotten days.

I need to nap now. My muscles are pleasantly achy. My stomach is empty, but I'll let my increased metabolism work on burning off my eggs benedict! Only 23 days til Mexico!

I'm rambling, yes I know...

I did want to say, YAY Barb! Have a wonderful time, you two deserve it! It sounds like the cruise my mom and dad took recently and they LOVED it! Enjoy~ You will be missed!

See you all later...:wave: Have a great day!

LuckyLadyBug
03-03-2005, 08:33 PM
WayWayWay behind, that's me. I will catch up this weekend. I feel lost without knowing what you are all doing?????

I have been at the nursing home a lot with my Dad. They still can't figure out what is wrong. :mad:

Well, I have tons to do before 5AM hits again.

Keep posting - you will get sick of me this weekend.

:lucky:

c bo be
03-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Good morning everyone!

Gloria, your house looks fabulous. I love everything about it. I don't understand why people can be so jealous. We bought a new home 4 years ago and believe it or not I had a couple of friendships that ended dissolving after we moved in. People can be very shallow sometimes. But you will get so much enjoyment decorating and it will be nice to have separate space for your mother and her privacy. I always look at floor plans that have a big loft for a place some day up at the lakes. But I will have to hit the lottery for that to happen. But I find peace in our little blue cottage that we have right now. And the memories that we are creating for our grandson, PRICELESS!

I am still having stress at work and my eating habits definately show it. I am avoiding the scales. I guess I think I'm fooling myself. Out of sight, Out of mind. Any way you look at it, fat is fat. What does everyone do as far as the scales go. Weigh once a week, every day, or what. I know weight watchers is once a week. The only good thing is I have worked out 4 days so far this week. Go Cheryll!

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Lucky Lady Bug I hope they find out real soon whats wrong with your dad. I'm sure you've got to be exhausted. Take care of yourself.

Later gators,
Cheryll

lucky
03-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Good morning!

Cheryll, as far as the scales go I only officially weigh in once a week (this is the weight I change my tickers by and log in fitday.com). But, I am bad about stepping on it more than that just to see what it says. For a while, it was a real problem for me because of all the fluctuations. Now, they don't bother me so much because, well, they are going to happen even during the best of weeks. I would suggest letting your WI at your meetings be your official one and avoiding the scale any other time unless you know whatever you see won't discourage you. I know I've weighed when I felt "thin" and the scale showed an extra two pounds and stepped on when I felt "fat" and saw a two pound loss. So, I think it is safe to say that it takes at least a week for your body to register all of the good things (or bad) that you've done for it.

Hope everyone has a great day. I've got a Drs. appointment this morning. Blech, it's always such a pain. I'm the first appointment of the morning so maybe I won't be in the waiting room until lunchtime!

5 dogs
03-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Wow, all of you are the best kind of friends to have! What a wonderful group this is. I think i will just have to stick around here. Thanks to all of you.

Question: Do any of you go into the food group section of 3fatchicks? I go there sometimes when i need chocolate and need to find a recipe. Well i found this recipe for a chocolate milkshake and decided to give it a try. It was WONDERFUL! I also found a recipe for peaunt butter cookies that are flour-less, so yesterday i had a chocolate milkshake and peaunt butter cookies for a snack. Extremely satisfying and filling. Here is the recipe.

Chocolate Milkshake.
1/2 cup part skim or low fat ricotta cheese. (I used fat free cottage cheese)
1/2 to 2/3 cup skim milk
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
3 packets Splenda
1/2 teaspoon caffein-free instant coffee (I used 1/2 cup of left over regular coffee and just put in more ice to make it thick)
Splash of vanilla
Ice (as much as it takes to make it thick.

Put all ingredients in a blender, and blend until thoroughly mixed.

If you ever get the hanker-in for ice cream, try this one. It tast like your cheating, but your not.

I still have lots to say but must get going for now.
Talk to you tonight.
Gloria

lucky
03-04-2005, 04:05 PM
I got quite a compliment last night from my 6 year old. We took them to McDonald's as a special treat after karate last night. He was explaining why fast food is only okay to have sometimes - because you'll go from skinny to fat really fast if you eat it all the time. The he looked at me and said, "Mommy, you aren't nearly as fat as you used to be. In fact, you are almost skinny!" It made my week given that kids his age say what they really think and he hasn't been exposed to enough pop culture to have a warped sense of fat and skinny. It was just the kind of motivation I needed to keep on track.

The next best motivation I've got right now is the swimming pool. The country club we belong to will open the pool mid to late May. My goal is to lose .5 to 1 pound a week between now and then. That won't amount to much but I'm hoping to add a bit more exercise so that I can at least get rid of a little extra jiggle here and there. Anything will be an improvement over last summer - ugh - I felt like a big beached whale. Plus, I'd like to start playing tennis again but I'm not quite mentally prepared to don that ridiculous skirt. Maybe by the time the summer league starts I'll be ready.

One last horn toot: I'm back in my size 12's! I'm not quite ready to start buying new clothes but I do need to get some new tennis shoes so I may just sneak in a REGULAR store and have a little fun trying on jeans that don't have elastic in the waist band!

We are off for a hike through the woods. Hope you all have a great afternoon!

Tricia

LuckyLadyBug
03-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Stop do not post here but join us on "Sanctuary - #12 Everyone Welcome"