Old 02-25-2005, 07:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/

Height: 5'8"

Default Sanctuary- #11 Everyone Welcome!

What we really want in a weight loss support group, boils down to one concept; we are looking for a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and sometimes the choice isn't ours, but circumstances forces it upon us. Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and especially those in need of and willing to offer support
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 325/

Height: 5'8"

Morning Everyone,

Today I am focusing on the Question "What excites me?" Which is a great question Gloria. But before that I want to say, Tricia, I am sorry for your dog, but you did the right thing. And as far as falling off the wagon, I just get back up and start again. I don't try to make up for it the next day, could do a little more exercise, but I don't punish myself by restricting the calories for the next day, because that may not be as healthy.

Ok, back to the question....
These answers are in no particular order.
My husband, my animals, and the silly things they do.
My family, it is so unique.
All animals, especially piggies, I love piggies. And Swans, especially black swans.
Books, I love to read, I love the smell of old books, I love bookstores, I could spend hours in a book store. And on the note of books, I love English Literature; The Bronte's, Austen, Wilde, Shakespeare, Milton, Thackery, just to name a few, but Charlotte Bronte is my favorite, She is a kindred spirit, I am fascinated by her.
Water, swimming, waterfalls, rain, I love the water, it is very cleansing.
Calla Lillies, Heather, Lilacs, Wisteria, Roses, English gardens.
Mystery of life, my spiritual growth, it excites me, I love to learn.
Fairies, Magical beings, fantastical delights.
Duran Duran, Morrissey, Bette Midler, I could listen to them all day. Duran Duran makes me feel youthful, Bette Midler makes me feel independent, and Morrissey makes me feel responsible.
Art, drawing, painting, creating, writing. Others work and doing my own.
Knowing I've made a difference in someones life.

Yep that is just a few of the things that excite me. My garden will excite me when I actually get to plant it. It snowed again last night.
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:35 PM   #3  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

Thanks Skittles for getting a new thread started. Loved your list. I could slide myself into yours easily. Faeries! Books! Ok, not sure about the piggies, but they are awfully cute.

Tricia, I guess it depends on how far I was off program and for how long? I usually try to finish out the day reasonably, but going without food for the rest of the day just makes things worse for me. I know sometimes when I've been off for a few days, I go back to the very basics of my food plan. The starter plan is lower carb and higher protein. 3-5 days of that is usually enough to get me back off the sugars and back on plan.

Kat, you all snowed in or are you still sleeping off your last zillion days of work? I miss you!

I worked pretty hard last night. Someone offered me a typing job that I could do during my regular job, so I spent 3+ hours typing. I think there should only be just under 2 hours left to go tonight. I could use more jobs like that! But it did leave me pretty exhausted by morning, and I just caught myself dozing here at the keyboard. Guess I'd better get to bed!

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #4  
a work in progress...

Exclamation Hooray for Friday!

Hi kids! I feel as though I haven't been here in forever and really miss all of you! Time to get caught up.

2x2? What's that? I am so far off track I need a map to find my way back. I know that coming here is the key to keeping me focused. I'm not quite sure what's fueling the self-sabotage here. I don't feel particularly sad or depressed. Work still stinks, but that's status quo. I don't know. I do feel as though I'm coming out of the funk <again, I know> but I totally relate to what Andria had said...
Quote:
...when I've been running a light depression. My house is a disaster, I haven't been exercising like normal, and my eating is stagnant. I get to where I'm eating exactly the same foods every day. I do my best to not cook, I wear the same rotation of clothing (at least I don't get so bad that they aren't washed!), and I isolate myself in the house.
I could have written that, word for word!! I'm not even PMSing. Post MSing perhaps?

Anyway...

I like the thought of focusing on what excites me...In the depths of my despair sometimes I will conjure up the images of things that make me happy and it truly helps.

In no particular order, here are some things that excite me:

Gardening. I am SO looking forward to Spring! Already I see daffodil and hyacinth shoots just starting to pop. Well, I could before the last barrage of snow was dumped on them! I'm chomping at the bit to start my seedlings. Have been pouring over Spring Hill Nurseries Catalog. Since we cut down a huge maple tree last fall, I have tons of sunlight in the backyard now. Can't wait to get started on a vegetable garden. I've only ever done tomatoes and some herbs before. Gloria...I know exactly what you mean about watching that tomato grow and ripen. Watching them mature on the vine, I feel as though I've given birth to them! I'm so proud! Geez, I'll be busting at the seams when the zucchini start multiplying!

The beach. All seasons. I love the ocean.

My family. Just hanging out together. Laughing. Mocking each other. Playing cards. Watching movies.

Hiking. Woodsy trails in local parks.

Survivor! This year, so far, seems a bit more interesting than last year's stinker. I LOVE Ian! And Tom! And Janu! Dislike: Coby. Kim.

Re-decorating plans. Dh is getting a substantial bonus this year. He wants to spend it on a mega TV. We're going to re-do our family room to accomodate the monstrosity. Everyone is happy!

Mexico! 29 days til Playa del Carmen! Woo hoo! Ole! (do I still have time to drop 50 lbs? No? Damn.)

Music. In the cd turntable at the moment: Carbon Leaf: Indian Summer Graham Nash: Songs for Beginners. James Taylor's Greatest Hits. Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks. Bob Dylan: Desire.

There must be more...will ponder this a bit more....

Lucky...Just think...you really are lucky. You haven't caught anything from your flu ridden family! I hope everyone is on the mend. Keep listening to Dr Phil. He's burrowing into your subconscious. He'll keep you in line!

Skittles, I'm glad to hear that hubby's echo went so well! So sorry to hear about your friend's husband. A friend of mine, at work, just lost her husband to cancer. So sad. Makes you treasure life that much more when death hits so close to home.

Tricia. I'm so sorry to hear about your doggy. Interesting revelation about punishing yourself. When I stop to consider what I'm doing when I'm on a binge, I realize that I am punishing myself. For being fat. So I eat more. Because that's
Quote:
really just a way for me to avoid owning up to that responsibilty.
Yep. Gotta work on that. Big time.

BarbPa...Nice going in AC! How are you feeling these days?

BarbG...What's new, Mustang Sally? (do you love that song? I do!)

Is that eveyone? Oh, yeah....Tony! Hey, dude! What's new? Exams over yet? Come back and see us!

Wow, I have been here WAY longer than planned. I really have to get moving. I PROMISED myself that today I would make significant progress in the 'clearing the family room of a ton of junk' project. Heh. No, really! I will! I swear! If I can tear myself away from this computer!

"See" you all later!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 02-25-2005 at 12:54 PM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:17 PM   #5  

Wink

Tricia:
WOW, a revelation “punishing yourself” by overeating. Thanks for sharing your “light bulb moment” because it hit home with me too.

I also relate to the whining – I actually was talking myself into just resigning to live at this weight the rest of my life. I need to follow you and “shake up my attitude and turn over a new leaf”.

I know I control my eating - I just hate that I control it by stuffing myself with food instead of controlling it by NOT overeating.

You would think I could just switch those two, wouldn’t you?

YEWWWWW boys are SO gross – and they don’t get better with age. (well, not that much better)

Gloria, I watch reruns of Law & Order all the time too. The only new regular shows I like are the new Law & Order shows – oh and of course, thanks to Mike the plumber, Desperate Housewives.

Have you seen the advertisements for the new Law & Order – something to do with the courtroom stuff?

What excites me: peaceful days at home, family, friends, picking the tomatoes I have grown, Eric Clapton concerts, scrap booking, reading your posts, reading, sitting on the porch (weather permitting), listening to the quiet, (I live in the country). I truly enjoy my nieces and nephews. We laugh a lot together, Angels, and Mike the Plumber!!!!
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:53 PM   #6  

Thumbs up I had to share the insanity.

I really don't like most fruits and vegtables - makes it hard to eat "right". On the other hand in my late twenties and through most of my thirties I made my own yogurt and made a health shake for breakfast with raw eggs!!!!! (can you hear the Rocky theme???)

OH, to be so young again.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:17 PM   #7  

Talking This is for Saturday!!!

H A P P Y

B I R T H D A Y

LAURA

Old 02-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #8  

Smile

I just got back for our marathon baking of cookies for the troops. I am happy to report I only ate ONE cookie.

I am pooped now. I got up at 6AM to stir up my cookies and then we (people from work) met at the community center and baked our hearts out.

We are shipping them dozens and dozens of cookies. My feet are tired so I think it's time for some foot R & R.

I will check in later.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #9  

Hello everyone!

I just ended one of the worst weeks at work I've ever had. I just don't get it. Why can't grown women work together without all the bickering. I don't mean that all women are that way, but I've never been in a work environment where women gossip and act like they're still in highschool. Get over it. Grow up! It's a waste of energy. We go through this every year and it still focuses back to a couple people who spoil it for everyone. Quit your *****ing! Ok, I feel better now. This was a disasterous week for any healthful goals. I am emotionally zapped and need to get my goals back into check. I need to post every day if I can. It does help to keep me motivated. Anyway, back in the saddle again. Yee Haw!

Things that excite me in no particular order.

My husband, daughter, grandson and dog tootsie (of course).

I love to play games. Any kind. Cards, euchre, poker, blitz, catch phraze, taboo,
boggle, also yard games of any kind. I love Boccee ball, volley ball, croquet, golf.

I love to dance! Any kind.

I love to shoot pool.

I love to walk in our park with hubby and tootsie and friends.

Hanging out with my friends.

Boating, jet skiing, tubing, campfires, cookouts.

I have a passion for flower gardening. I love digging in the dirt. I am at peace when I'm out in my yard in the flower beds.

Movies, movies and movies. We go to the movies every weekend.

I love redecorating. My favorite shows are about redoing your house. Love it. I paint and redo some of my rooms every year.

Antique shopping, craft fairs, etc.

Anyway, thats alot of what I like to do. I better get busy and enjoy the rest of my weekend before I go back to the funny farm. Later chickadees! cheryll
c bo be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:17 AM   #10  
a work in progress...

Default Good Morning!

How's everyone today?

Happy Birthday, Laura! <belated> Did you have a fun filled, action packed birthday? I hope it was what you wanted it to be!

Last night I had dinner out with 'the girls.' It was fun, just playing catch up, comparing pictures and stories about husbands and kids, reminiscing. We all started working together 27 years ago...young and single. Work was so much fun in those days! We worked the 3-11 shift, we'd go out after work together, a few of us had gone on vactions together... Then one by one, someone would move on, get married, get on with their life. I'm the only schmuck still in the same job! Well, the same place, anyway.

But we have a lot of fun. Never run out of things to talk about. Who's got kids in college, in diapers, in trouble, in love...husbands who've had heart attacks...who's started having hot flashes...(we're all amazed that we're at that age!) Where we're going on vacation...how our aging parents are doing....so many topics, so little time! Lots of laughter. It was fun!

AND...ate pretty well, I must say. Nothing over the top...no dessert. My son and I had gone to the gym yesterday afternoon and I had gotten a good workout in, so I didn't want to sabotage that. No guilt!

Okay, my coffee's done and my muffins are cooling. I'm off to read the paper and have a healthy breakfast. We're going to see my daughter sing today with the school choir. They're kicking off a 'choir tour' for a week and a half throughout NY, NJ and PA, during their spring break. They'll stay with various families during the tour. Should make for some good stories!

All right, I'm done...

Have a great day all!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 02-27-2005 at 09:21 AM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #11  

Smile

H A P P Y

36th

B I R T H D A Y

Tricia

Compared to me you are still a Hope you are having a great day.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #12  
BELIEVE!

HELLO CHICKS!!!

I'm back - sort of. At least I am more ready to get back in posting and trying to catch up with everyone and meet the new folks!!

Most of you know it's been an incredibly rough month on me with my mother's sudden death and our IVF cycle. I am slowly starting to feel a little better and smile and laugh more.

Just to catch up those of you that have been following our journey to conceive a child through IVF ....we have the one little frozen embryo in the lab that was frozen they day we left for FL. Last week we started the process to prepare my body for the transfer...then on Thursday we cancelled the cycle because my hormone levels got wacky and we weren't sure what was going on. Now we have changed our plans. Instead of relying on the one little snowbaby we have decided to keep it frozen and start over with a fresh cycle again to maximize our chances by having more embryos to transfer. We have an appt. on Thursday to speak with the Dr. about changes to our protocol to try to improve the number of eggs my body produces. Depending on the protocol he prescibes we will begin again in mid-March or April. I'll keep you posted.

I continue to grieve for my mother, but everyday it gets a teeny bit easier. I am slowing able to talk more about her and think of her and laugh instead of cry. There are still tears now and then, but I know she is still with me. My father is doing well -- I was so worried about him, but he is surprising me. I know he has difficult moments, as we all do, but he is spending some time with friends and has even joined a weekly poker game. As I see him getting stronger it is helping me. It's so tough being far away but we stay in touch almost daily.

My spirits are pretty good. I have a wonderful support group of friends - both Cyber and Real Life. Thank you all for you thoughts and prayers during this time, as well as the messages and beautiful cards. Jeff has been wonderful and we are getting through everything together.

I finally got the courage to get on the scale last week, for the first time since Christmas. I put on about 6-8 pounds. It's my own fault - exercise has been a distant memory and food has not been great! I am at least proud that I can recognize what I need to do. Now I need to DO IT!

It's been difficult to keep up with everyone lately, but I have been lurking around. I'd like to CONGRATULATE the Losers, send HUGS to anyone that needs them, WELCOME the newbies and apologize for my absense. I will do better! I want to be here to support all of you and we work on this journey together!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAURA & TRICIA!

Have a wonderful day! Talk to you soon!
Love,
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #13  
Gloria

Hello Friends,
Just got back form the movies with my mother in law. Wanted to let all of you know that I'm still alive and hope to post tomorrow.
See you then.
Gloria

Last edited by 5 dogs; 02-27-2005 at 10:14 PM.
5 dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:03 AM   #14  
BELIEVE!

Good Morning Gang!

I hope everyone's day is off to a good start! We are getting a snowstorm here today so I decided to skip the commute to the office and work at home today. Thank goodness I have that flexibility!

Guess what I did this morning!?!?! I forced myself out of bed into workout clothes and got on the treadmill for 20 minutes and then did an arm workout with 5lb weights! It felt so good! Now I need to remember that feeling so tommorow I do it again!

Now I've gotta start on some work, I'll check back later!

Have a great day!
Hugs!
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:10 AM   #15  

Thanks for all of the nice birthday wishes! For my "special" day I started spring cleaning. Why is it that the house gets MESSIER before it gets CLEANER when I do this? Greg brought cupcakes home dessert last night - for the kids more than for me - you know they can't have a birthday party without candles and cake! He was sweet enough to buy the mini cupcakes and only a few of them. So, I was able to have one with the kids after they had sung "happy birthday" but they all had a couple each so there weren't any left over to tempt me the rest of the night or today. And thank goodness - TOM is here and I would not have been able to resist the chocolate!

HIP HIP HORRAY! I think the scale is starting to inch downward again. At a much slower pace than when I started, of course, but inching down nonetheless. I've been working towards a 1.5 lb loss per week but I'm not sure that is realistic at this point. I won't know if I don't try though so I'm just going to plug along and try not to be too disappointed if I have only .5 lb loss (or less) some weeks.

Also, I'm going to try a little mind game with myself. I tend to get frustrated when I consider I still have almost 40 lbs to lose. Even though I know that really isn't much in the big scheme of things. But, you know, I'm to the point where I feel like I've been doing this forever and even though I see progress feel like I should be seing a lot more. Anyway, I'm going to change all of my tickers and charts, etc. and look at this as a brand new month and the very start of my weight loss journey. So maybe instead of thinking, " I've lost 42 lbs and, UGH, have 40 more to go!" I can think, "Hey, I've only got 40 lbs to lose. I can do this!" I don't know if it will work but If I'm going to do this for the rest of my life I've got to get rid of this "never going to get there" attitude. Plus, I'm trying to focus on what it will be like once I reach my goal. I know I'll still have to measure and weigh my food, exercise regularly, etc. but I feel like my attitude will be different towards it all. I think it will seem less like a chore when I'm doing it to maintain instead of to lose. Sort of like housecleaning, when it gets really messy it is a lot of hard work and very daunting but once it is clean from top to bottom and you only have to clean a little here and there each day to keep it up it isn't so bad.

Good heavens, I have cleaning on the brain! I guess that means I need to get back to it. Oh, and for anyone who hasn't tried the Swifter Wet Mop buy one TODAY! I picked one up this weekend and it is great. I will still give my floors a good scrubbing every now and this but this thing sure make the general upkeep of the floors much easier. And best of all it is easy enough for the kids to use. In fact, they LOVE using it because they like to make it squirt. My three were fighting over it yesterday. I set a timer for each of their turns and they had all of the floors sparkling in no time! Boy is it nice to have cheap child labor!

BarbPA: Good for you! Isn't it strange how soon we forget how good some things feel? I wonder why that is? I mean, I've never gotten a massage or a facial and awoke the next morning thinking, "Gee, that felt good but I don't really want to do it again today!" Weird. And I am so glad to read that you are slowly but surely starting to feel like yourself again. It sounds like you are doing the best thing in terms of your little "snowbaby." I am sure the whole process must be very trying and anything you can do to increase your odds of not having to go through it again has to be a good thing. Good luck and I will continue to keep you in my thoughts.

Gloria: What movie did you see? Anything good? Greg and I used to love going to the movies but don't get to do it much anymore. We have date night on Saturdays, though, and get the kids to bed early, make a special dinner and watch a rented movie. Not quite as good as the old dinner and a movie dates but better than nothing!

Kat: Coffee and muffins! Now that sounds like a perfect weekend morning. How did your daughters concert go? I have secret hopes that at least one of my children will want to persue voice lessons. I'm not interested in being a singer per say, but I can't even carry a tune in a bucket. As an adult, voice is one of those things that I wish I had practiced a little when I was younger. Oh, well, hindsight is 20/20. Unfortunately, I've got too many inhabitions to give it a go at this age.

Lucky: Hurray! Just one cookie. That is especially impressive given that you were sourrounded by them. Good for you!

Okay, this time I'm really going. Hope you all have a terrific day!

Tricia
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote