Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-24-2005, 09:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Thursday Chat ~ 2/24

good morning gang

I was asleep by 9:30 last night so I could get up early and exercise, but I could not drag my tired old body out of the bed. So I am gonna have to figure out a way to get in some exercise today!

hope everyone has a BLESSED day!

hugs,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 02-24-2005 at 01:41 PM.
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:36 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Morning Cathy and All To Come
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:49 AM   #3  
Divine Gal

Good Morning Ladies!! I feel like doodoo today and we are supposed to get snow.Yesterday I went to the dr and got a tetnus shot so my arm hurts pretty much alot.

BBL
*hugs*
lynnie
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

Maybe it's the full moon? I had a stressful morning, stuffed 1/2 a donut in my mouth, then decided to STOP.....I changed my clothes, locked my office and went to the gym. 30 mins. on the ellip. and 5 weight machines....yes I feel better and by the time I came back the donuts are GONE, (good).

the cause of my stress is combined work, weather and my 86 YO mother.....it is hard to keep your patience.

waiting for the snow to start here, and of course I have exams scheduled for 8AM tomorrow.....
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:08 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm waiting on the snow too UGH! I forgot my lunch today aka I was too lazy to get organized last night to make it so one of the guys Is running to the caf for me It's in another buildign and super far away for me to walk so
and it was cheaper than the chinese I was goign to get $4 versus a minimum of $8 so Chicken salad for me today with real mayo I'm thinking just veggies for dinner or maybe Wendys a baked potato and salad
Marble I know that Stress! well Part of it I used to live with my gramma who is fiesty but turning 88 this year it's hard
CAthy 9:30 you're makign me jealous! I'm hoping to have the enrgy to exercise when I get home
Lynnie I feel like Poop too does this make us Twins?
Hey Leenie has the snow started up by you yet?
bbl Kier
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #6  
CIN

Good Morning Ladies,
Yesterday I posted a longgggggggggggggggggg post only to have it NOT post because the forum was down for some reason. I do not feel like posting it again and it disappeared into cyberspace ...don't you just hate that when it happens?

Marbleflys.................Sorry I was not specific about the medical problems my husband had.............I was speaking in easy terms I thought all could understand. I am VERY knowledgeable about the Mesentery arteries and where they are.what the are called....and what happens when they are blocked! When you have has a specific problem it is amazing how much one can learn about it! The procedure for a blocked mesentery artery IS called catheterization as I stated.....angioplasty is the same as with the heart it is just done in another artery that feeds the stomach....I had a blocked Celiac artery (90%) and had a stent put in it last July. Forgive me for not using the correct terms.....................quite honestly I did not want to bore you all with the details! Your reply DID hit a nerve with me to be honest! ENOUGH said.

****What is important is that after a week my husband is home and doing fine.....for which I am very thankful.

Hello to all.I have missed the "room"!

Liz.hope you have a wonderful trip!

Cathy.......it is ok to miss sometimes........you are diligent about the exercise....you must have needed rest last night.be glad you got it! I slept well last night too....being at the hospital with family takes a lot of energy!

Later
Cin
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #7  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Good morning, ladies,

Kier, good job thinking ahead about dinner. I am pretty much having the same basic stuff for meals every day, but soon I want to branch out and do a little more planning.

Marbleflys, good job dropping the donut! Stress is just a constant challenge for me as well. I guess I am trying to come up with alternative ways to deal with it. Not easy, though, but good job.

Lynnie, it sounds like snow is a bad thing for some of you guys, but I live where we rarely get snow, so I love it. But I imagine it can be a pain if you get a lot of it. Hope your day cheers up.

Hi, Leenie, hope you are feeling better.

Cathy, hi, I am sure you will work out---you are the workout queen. Have a good day!

I have been feeling really tired recently, and I am tired of it! I can't quite figure out why. I have a borderline-low thyroid, but am taking natural thyroid stuff for it. I think I am eating o.k.I do still eat some sweets, could that be it? I just have such low energy. It is hard to work out, and working out is one of my favorite things to do. And I just feel like I am dragging. I am kind of worried it could be the antidepressant I am taking (Effexor XR)---but I am not going to try and change that---it took awhile to find the right one. But this feeling tired all the time has got to go. Any ideas? Thanks, ladies.

Have a good day, everyone.
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #8  

Hi, Cin, I am so glad things are going better for your husband. That must be a huge relief. Take good care of yourself. That is important, too. Take care.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #9  

im really rushed - sorry - can't reply to all the posts but.....

kathy - your post caught my eye - and since you asked "any ideas".... well I have a few ....

what do you mean "border line low thyroid" and what "natural stuff" are you taking? - do you mean something over the counter or a prescription of Armour Thyroid that is natural rather than synthetic like Synthroid?

just checking bec I have also been dealing with thyroid problems a long time with my son and I, and my mother's family. and antidepressants (which my son is also on) seem to deplete neurotransmitter levels over time....

it you don't mind talking about it - what tests did you have run to check your thyroid and determine that you have a "borderline low thyroid"?

I have a lot of thyroid info on the thread titled "Depression Articles" that you might want to glance at when you have a minute. It's at

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49146

but also, let me copy something else I just read...

"Hypothyroidism and depression are related on many levels. For instance, the neurotransmitter serotonin and thyroid hormone, both T3 and T4, are inextricably related, in that the main building block for both is the amino acid tyrosine, the same amino acid needed for the neurotransmitter norepinephrine, which stabilizes mood and anxiety. This means it is quite possible that low thyroid function can deplete your body of serotonin and other mood-stabilizing neurotransmitters. It also means that chronic depression and sadness may deplete your body of tyrosine stores and T3, which is also necessary to maintain healthy mood and energy.

Which comes first, the depression or the low thyroid? I suspect they occur simultaneously. While one does not cause the other, per se, it appears that similar emotional or behavioral patterns — such as learned helplessness or not believing you can have your say — may predispose you to both low thyroid and depression. Evidence of this is supported by the fact that, for many individuals, the depression and the thyroid have to be treated at the same time in order for thyroid function and mood to return to normal. But it can be a vicious cycle. Psychiatrists say that over time many patients who are treated for depression or anxiety with medications can eventually develop thyroid problems. No one knows why this is so (I suspect it is because antidepressants deplete neurotransmitter levels over time), but scientists are beginning to realize that thyroid disease is really a mind–body disease — its symptoms occur simultaneously in the mind (in the form of depression and lack of concentration) as well as in the body. This is why depression so often persists in women with thyroid disease, even after their thyroid hormone levels are corrected."

A lot of people with different chemical imbalances are finding out that they actually have a thyroid problem that needs to be treated with Armour Thyroid bec of the T3 in it.

I would be glad to help you with any of this if I can

just sharing from life experiences.

hugs,
cathy
Old 02-24-2005, 02:17 PM   #10  

well it was raining so badly that I could not even make a run for my car at lunchtime. I cannot believe this weather!

Lynnie - I hope you feel better girlie! those tetnus shots hurt!

Leenie - hey busy busy busy! hugs!

Marble - good for you stopping at 1/2 donut! I was wondering - do you have a gym in your building? that is awesome if you do! I hope the stress lets up soon!

Kier - I hope we both find the energy to exercise after work today! you still liking the new job?

Cin - yes! I definitely hate when I lose a post. no time to type it twice that's for sure! so glad ya'll are home and doing better! I'm glad you kept it in simple terms for me - I know nothing about arteries - only know about medical stuff I have dealt with - and I'm really hoping I don't ever deal with another new medical thing again! I hope you catch up on your rest! hugs!

kathy - hey! i posted to you above.

gotta run for now

hugs,
cathy
Old 02-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #11  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hello ladies…

Can’t talk much today… have a lot to think about. Let me toss this out to you all… cause my friend is in class right now and I’m about to bust if I don’t get this off my chest.

Scenario:

I’ve been with my fiancé, James for 8 years. We want to get married. However, I am going to school and I have my tuition paid for by a certain institution. I was under the assumption that this waiver was only for my Bachelors degree. Today I find out that as long as my income qualifies and as long as I stay single, they will pay for my teaching credentials and my masters… matter of fact, my education is paid for as long as I meet those requirements. Now… being that I was under the assumption as soon as I got my BA that was it for my waiver. Someone told me it only covered lower Degrees and nothing above upper graduate degrees or something to that effect. So my fiancé and I set a date. JOY! However, after finding out this interesting tidbit of information, and knowing your plans are to at least get a Masters… What do I do? Do I talk to James and say hey… I’m getting a free ride through college/university and the chance to be debt free when I am done so we can’t get married just yet? My goal is to at least get my credential paid for and work as a teacher and do the masters myself.. however, that could mean another possible year or year and half stacked onto the year and half I have now to get your BA/BS. So another 3 to 4 years put off… this is also assuming I go full time and can get the classes I need each time…I really want to get married but then the chance to be debt free coming out of college is such a nice chance to have. Course I am feeling pressure from my parents and my in laws to get married as well…

Okie I’m having a brain fart right now... and I just found this info out… and I’m sorta depressed by this… I figured I’d post this and see if it relieves stress by getting it off my chest since my friends are in class and I can’t talk to them… I’m about to bust… brain hurts from thinking to much…I’ll post more later…About the in-laws, when I told them we set a date for Oct 2006 or March 2007, first of all they were excited to hear we finally set a date, but when they heard… his mom said… oh dear, we’re gonna be dead by then. nothing like putting on the pressure

I want my cake DANGIT! And I wanna at it too! Unfortunately I don’t think it will work in this situation… ahhh gotta love stress.

Okie, I’ll stop rambling now… I think I feel better… the jury is still out on that tho… I will have to talk with James when I get home. I will let you ladies know whats up….

Sue...
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #12  

SueMarie, I don't know you, but I'd recommend getting your schooling out of the way first. Do what you need to do to get started in your career of choice and then get married. It will help boost your self-esteem and will protect both of you should anything happen and you need to become the sole income of the household. Your in-laws should be glad you want to take advantage of this before marrying their son. It shows maturity and responsibility on your part. If you were engaged to my son I'd welcome this in a future daughter-in-law. Besides, you live in Sou.Cal. and down here it's vital that a family have 2 incomes to provide for it. When I was on disability for the pregnancy we were hurting for money.

Last edited by eulac; 02-24-2005 at 06:33 PM.
eulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #13  

I know ya'll will all be relieved to know that I walked 2 miles on the treadmill after work today.

Feb Miles = 27.5

hugs,
cathy
Old 02-24-2005, 09:51 PM   #14  

Cathy, thank you so much for the information. I am very determined to do whatever I can to heal my body and mind. I PM'ed you. Hope that is o.k. Thanks so much.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:56 PM   #15  
Oooo Silly Me!

Erika...thanks... yeah, I guess I just sorta freaked out... ugh with all the stress at work and school and then that... whew... was like everything was flowing out my ears. I needed to vent hehehe... I did feel better, now I just feel silly hehehe. I've yet had the chance to talk to James... however, I've been calculating my classes out... I might be able to pull this off. I just need to take an extra course a quarter... I dunno we see... that might kill me heheheh...

Cathy... GASP! And here I am with 8 miles for the month...

Well...did I mention on Tuesday night our heater died? I spent all Wednesday yelling at the Home warranty people because someone changed our policy without telling us when we upgraded last year. They called back today and said they fixed it and we should hear from someone to come and look at our heating today. I may have to call and yell again, because no one called :-P So it's been cold at night...

Ugg what a day... I just wanna curl up in bed... but its too cold!

I had my exam today… forgot ot mention that in all my rambling, but I think I did okay. I was invited to join the Psychology departments Honor Society and the Liberal Arts Honor Society… woohoo! It’s going to look good on my record and I get recognized at graduation for it. For the Liberal Arts one… I have to read a book, write a 5 page analytical paper on it and then I have to go to a defense hearing and support my paper against 3 faculty members.

YAY! More stress! Except I get a year to do this in, so I can do it slowly… and go from there…we see, it’s a choice I don’t have to do it, but I think it would be a good thing for me.

Night everyone...
Sue...

Last edited by SueMarie301; 02-24-2005 at 11:12 PM.
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote