Old 02-24-2005, 08:28 AM   #1  

Default I hit a plateau - Need advice

I'v only lost 2 pounds over the past 2 weeks even if i'm sticking to the same diet plant....(approx 1500-1800 cal/day)

Since the begging of the week i've increased my level of exercise. Hopefully this will help...I cannot lower my calorie intake as it's already very low for a 271 pounds man.....

Any advice on this?
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #2  
Abby's Mommy

Well Frenchie, I wish I knew what to tell ya. My plateau started in November, yes I've lost a pound or two, but the scale always goes right back up. I just try to think of it as practicing maintinence. I know that there was athread about plateau busters here somewhere, but I cant seem to find it. Maybe someone knows......??
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:52 AM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

just gotta plug away i'm afraid dude. i dropped from 322 to about 270 like a shot then stalled for 3 months then dropped to 230 in the following 3 months it comes in fits and starts just natures way of winding you up i'm afraid lol i'm in one at the moment i'm stuck on 252. just keep plugging away if you increased you excersise try eating a bit more maybe you were eating to little and your body shut down try 2000 with more excersise obviously
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I agree--I wouldn't get too discouraged. You might try varying your caloric intake. Since you basically take in 12,600 calories a week (if you ate 1800 every day) then vary it. On Monday have 1700, on Tuesday have 1500, Wednesday go for 1900 or even 2000. Just try to make it so your calories don't go over your maximum of 12,600 for the week. I've read that by shaking it up, it can help to give you a boost since your body adjusts to your pattern of eating.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #5  
Jennifer

How dare I give advice on this, as I'm just coming off my own plateau (heh), but the trainer at the gym mentioned to me that it's not cardio, but strength training that really will kick a plateau's butt. I've been upping my weights workouts like crazy, so I guess we'll see if it works!

I do find, like Si said, that the body has a way of adjusting itself eventually. Sometimes I'll lose really fast for two weeks, then not show a loss for two... just the body's way of catching up. But even though I *know* it all works out over time, it's still frustrating!

Also -- make sure you're taking measurements! Sometimes when the scale has refused to budge for me, I've gone down bigtime in inches.

Who understands the mysteries of the human body? Pas moi!

Hang in there -- you're doing great!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #6  

Thank you all for your good advices

I think I'll do a little bit of everything: eat a little more of unharmful stuff (fruits, veggies),increase pace at the pool (cardio) and vary calorie intake from day to day..

In the end it will hopefully shake up my metabolism and will be able to acheive the challenge thread i started (260 by easter).
Old 02-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

Those pesky plateaus - what a pain! You've received a lot of good advice here and I can personally endorse many of them. I always found mixing up my routine helped - exercising the same length of time, but a different kind of exercise from what I was doing; eating the same amount of food, but varying the types and times they are eaten. I found eating protein at every meal helped and increasing fibrous veggies while decreasing sugary fruit worked well. I guess you just have to confuse your body into giving up those pounds. Tis true, too, that you're likely losing inches even though the scale's not budging. The most important advice though, is not to get frustrated or let it affect your motivation! Hang in there and beat that plateau!!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #8  

Thanks for the question. I had thought I'd would just weather this one through but I went looking around for some answers and found some fairly good articles and threads on the discusssion. This is one from Dr Phil's nutritionist but the basic idea seems to be to re-evaluate what you are *actually* doing (as opposed to what you *think* you are doing) -- tracking the details -- then either get back to your real plan (if you're really outside your plan) and/or to do something different to shake your body up. (Like, instead of having the same calories/food every day, have high/low/medium days or increase the intensity/duration of your cardio or try an entirely new exercise). Way cool!

Plateau Busters

By JJ Virgin, CNS, CHFI

Have you hit the weight loss wall? Check out the following tips to help you rev up your metabolism!

1. Be sure to get protein in at each meal. Protein is by far the most satiating and the most thermic (i.e. the process of digesting it raises your metabolism). The best sources are from animals, as these contain the complete profile of essential amino acids and are more bio-available, which means that your body can use them more effectively and efficiently. Look for low fat choices like egg whites, whey protein and turkey breast.

2. Drink up. Water that is! Even a little dehydration can dramatically impact your metabolism! You need water to burn fat and if you are drinking caffeinated or alcoholic beverages you are dehydrating your cells further.

3. Trade your starchy carbohydrate servings for more non-starchy veggies at one or two of your meals, especially your evening meal.

4. Make sure that one of your fruit servings is soon after your workout (within 60 minutes) to help store energy back into your muscles without raising insulin.

5. If possible, do two workouts some days to boost your metabolism. Just don't do cardio too late in the day and be sure to stretch afterward to bring stress hormones down again.

6. Green tea contains a compound that has been found to aid with fat burning and may raise metabolism. Drink at least 4 cups of green tea a day to get these benefits.

7. Go decaf! Caffeine can make you insulin resistant which makes you a fat storer rather than a fat burner. Trade your coffee and tea for decaf.

8. Pump some iron. Muscle dictates your metabolic rate. Each pound of muscle you add burns 40-50 more calories per day.

9. Eat small meals and snacks throughout the day. Eating raises metabolism and eating less more often means less insulin response, better blood sugar balance and fewer cravings.

10. Check your portions. Learn to read labels and ask questions at restaurants. Ask for sauces on the side and monitor how much you use. Everything counts so pay attention to how much you are actually eating and make sure you are on track with optimal amounts of protein, limiting your starchy carbs and fat and getting in enough non-starchy vegetables.

11. Read labels. Learn all of the different names for sugars and be sure you are choosing foods that are low in sugar and fat, high in nutrient value and fiber. Ignorance is never an excuse! If you aren't sure about something, skip it until you can find out if you should be eating it or not.
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:34 PM   #9  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Iv'e not hit one of those so I'm no good to you. If I do hit one I plan on doing what Dawnyal suggest. Maybe that is why I have not ever hit one. I have a treat day once a week so maybe my body never really thinks it's starving. Not sure but until I get there I won't know.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #10  

I've been eating a little more this week (approx 2000-2200 cal/day). Good stuff only! I also made some variation to cross-country ski. I do off trail ski, which is far more demanding than on groomed trails.

I also reduced coffer; as i was a "coffeholic", 3 to 4 big mugs a day. Now it's one in the morning and that's it . Thanks for the tip keillynsmom

I'll weight myslef at the end of this week, on march 04 to see if does any good.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #11  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

3-4 big mugs makes you a coffeholic? god i have 4 big mugs before lunch time!
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Barbara - Thank you! I just hit a plateau myself, and it's driving me insane!! My diet is going really good, I keep changing up what I'm eating.. but I think it's time for me to start doing weights again (ick, always hated them, dunno why).

Mmmm... coffee.. I limit myself to 1 a day, because I seriously was having like 15-20 iced coffee's, latte's. My new fav is an iced grande 1% caramel macciato, it's perfect for the warm weather we've got going on in BC right now

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote