Simply Filling and Core Recipes - Recipe of the Day: Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

aghiowa
02-22-2005, 02:21 PM
I made this one, and it was really yummy, even though I beat them way too long and basically made potato glue. :D

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Serves 4 - Skip the gravy with these mashed potatoes-they won't need it. The roasted garlic, herb, and sour cream flavor them to delicious perfection.

1 1/2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes or other potatoes, quartered
2 t. bottled minced roasted garlic
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
2-4 T. skim milk
2 t. snipped fresh rosemary, thyme or oregano (I used dried, it worked fine)
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. black pepper

1. In a covered large saucepan cook potatoes in a small amount of boiling water for 20-25 min or till tender. Drain in a colander; return to saucepan. (It never says to peel potatoes - I did, but it would probably be fine without too).
2. Add garlic to potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed. Add sour cream, milk, desired herb, salt, and pepper. Beat until light and fluffy. (Do NOT overbeat.)

To roast your own garlic: For every 1 t. of roasted garlic, wrap 3 unpeeled garlic cloves in foil. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-35 min or till cloves feel soft when pressed. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic paste from cloves.