Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #1  
Jen

Default Weaning myself off SlimFast and need 237 caloire meal suggestions

hi all,

i have so far lost 32.5 pounds on slimfast since november. i have had wonderful results and am a total advocat for the product. BUT, i know i can't stay on it forever. especially since hubby and i are trying to get pregnant. so this week i will be trying to replace my meal replacement shakes with actual meals....

i plan to allow myself 237 calories for breakfast, and the same for lunch, since that is how many calories i usually have with my shakes.

what do you think of this...

cereal and 1% milk for breakfast

sandwich for lunch (2 peices of WW bread, a tiny dab of mayo, i small piece of low-fat turkey breast, two tomatoe slices and a bunch of lettuce)

or

low-fat tuna and crackers (in the package) and some fruit.

i have added up the cals and so far so good. i am looking forward to eating again.

i know how to balance the rest of my day so i won't overeat my calories. i am a bit nervous, since i will have to be careful...the shakes just do it for me normally.

wish me luck? and if you have any suggestions for meals around 237 calories (breakfast and lunch) then please send them.

thanks,

jen
beaglefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #2  

That looks pretty good to me. I would throw in some real vegetables at lunch, though. Lettuce and tomato on a sandwich don't really count. Counting calories is a game of approximation, you are never going to hit 237 calories exactly, so adding a cup of non-starcy vegetables at lunch won't affect your weight loss and will give you some much-needed nutrition and fiber.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #3  

Wink

There's lots you can eat for 240 cals! Combine any of the below foods to get to your calorie limit.

BREAKFAST--

1 cup strawberry halves (~50 cals)
1/2 cup blueberries (~40 cals)
1 banana (~100 cals)
1 apple (~70 cals)
1 peach (~40 cals)
1 cup honeydew (~70 cals)
1 cup canteloupe (~55 cals)
1 cup watermelon (~50 cals)
1 cup grapes (~70 cals)
1 orange (~45 cals)

1 package instant oatmeal (~140 cals)
1 slice wheat bread (~65 cals)
1 microwave pancake (~100 cals)
1 NutriGrain bar (~140 cals)

1 cup lowfat milk (~100 cals)
1 6oz container lowfat yogurt (~110 cals)
1 slice lowfat American cheese (~40 cals)
2 egg whites (~35 cals)

1/2 tbsp reduced fat peanut butter (~50 cals)
1 tbsp jelly (~60 cals)

LUNCH:

Many frozen entrees have 250 cals or less-- I like Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine. If you want to make something else...

1 oz dry pasta (~100 cals)
1/4 cup marinara sauce (~70 cals)
egg white omelet w/ american cheese, mushrooms, onions and peppers (~150 cals)
4oz broiled white fish (~100 cals)
4 oz chicken breast (~120 cals)
1 small potato, roasted (~100 cals)
1 cup chicken noodle soup (~110 cals)
1 cup minestrone soup (~130 cals)
1 cup tomato soup (~90 cals)
4 oz deli ham (~120 cals)
3 oz deli turkey (~135 cals)
4 oz deli roast beef (~135 cals)
1 oz low fat cheddar (~40 cals)
1 oz muenster (~80 cals)

And of course, lots of vegetables! I HATE salad, so I eat a lot of roasted vegetables and try to get full that way. Asparagus, mushrooms and onions with a little olive oil spray, lemon juice and garlic is one of my absolute favorite things to eat.

Don't limit yourself and get tired of the same food. Mix it up and keep your mouth and stomach entertained!
pinkpolopony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:54 PM   #4  
the muse of memory

Breakfast: my everyday breakfast is 1/2 cup dry old-fashioned oats (1 serving) mixed with water, cooked in the microwave for 2 minutes, then mixed with splenda, 1 tsp half-n-half, and cinnamon. That's 150 calories for the oats and 10 for the half-n-half. I have that every day at work and throw in an apple, orange, or small serving fat and sugar free yogurt either then or above an hour later. Super-easy to cook at work (that's where I eat breakfast) and really, really satisfying. On weekends I make my oats with skim milk, which takes it to 250 calories (approx). I would make it with the skim milk (for the dairy protein) on weekdays, too, but I can't be bothered with keeping/managing milk at work. I find the oatmeal more satisfying that dry cereal - it seems like there's more in a serving, somehow, and I've come to really enjoy it even when the splenda, cinnamon, and half-n-half aren't available.

Lunch: I have a few recommendations for you - but definitely agree with the last poster about adding a cup of raw, non-starchy vegetables to whatever you're eating. I eat 1+ cups raw, non-starchy vegetables (a variety, different everyday, but usually involving some combination of carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) before and with the rest of my meal and it really makes for a satisfying lunch.

Okay, lunch ideas (240ish calories):

1. tuna salad in either a half or a whole whole wheat pita pocket or w/2 slices WW bread. Tuna salad recipe: 1 can tuna packed in water, relish (if you like, I don't), chopped green onions, some chopped parsley or cilantro, maybe some chopped celery, plain fat free yogurt to taste (usually between 1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on the amount of tuna), and 1 tsp dijon mustard (or more, to taste). Check the calorie count of the pita bread (larger/higher cal pitas, I use 1/2 for lunch. Smaller, low calorie pitas, I use a whole one for lunch);

2. 2 cups of some sort of (clear - not cream-based) soup. I've been sick so I've been living on canned soup even though I usually like to make my own. The sodium count can be high, but the calories are low: say, 100 to 120/cup, with about two cups in a can of non-condensed soup.

3. 1 "burger" replacement patty (Boca or Morningstar Farms are the brands we have in my neck of the woods) w/whole wheat pita and/or low-cal ww bread. I'm mostly a vegetarian, so I've eaten alot of these over the years. Some are better than others. I'm not so much for the ones that pretend to be burgers, but I like some of the flavored ones, like tomato-basil or "philly cheese steak" - which is 130 calories and seems to have some actual cheese-like substance in the patty. (Though - the pizza-y tomato-basil one is better, IMO). Again - I eat with a variety of raw fresh veggies, but it makes a satisfying lunch w/such an accompaniment and would be around 240 calories with 1/2 pita or 2 slices of low-cal bread.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote