WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #1  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Question Coffee Creamer Ideas

I have been hooked on Nestle French Vanilla Coffee Creamer for about 10 years. I switched to the FF version, but it's still a point every cup. I'm wasting 4-5 points a day! I tried the carb select kind that is no sugar, no fat, still 1/2 pt a cup and it was AWFUL.
I tried fat free evaporated milk and that is downright nasty.
What does anyone use in their coffee? My goal is to get down to 3 cups a day, but it's hard when you love coffee like I do.
Thanks for any ideas!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:15 AM   #2  
i luv my dog!

For the creamer I use skim milk. For the flavoring I usually use the sugar free syrups.

Have you tried the DaVinci Suger Free flavored syrups? They are sold in the supermarket next to the coffee supplies. The vanilla is very good.

Also, you could add of few drops of vanilla extract to your bag of ground coffee, or to the pot while it is brewing.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #3  
banned

Oooh boy, do I know what you mean about coffee!

I use both methods that was previously mentioned. I measure out a serving of low fat milk ( I use 1%) that will do me for 3 or 4 cups of coffee and then add a squirt of DaVinci or Torani SF syrup to the coffee. There's french vanilla flavored syrup, but I love variety! The Almond Roca SF Torani syrup is YUM!
I also buy flavored coffee at the grocery store, and then just add the milk. Chocolate hazelnut is a good one.

Land O' Lakes FF half and half is really good in coffee, but it's similar to flavored coffee creamer in points.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:26 PM   #4  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Hi,
I was also going to suggest the flavored coffee. Here's what I do, during the week I have one cup in the a.m. at work with half and half. Just one a day, on the weekends I have the 2-3 cups with the creamer that I like (vanilla caramel, usually ). You might want to try half caf/half decaf to cut down on the coffee so you don't have withdrawals.
good luck.
I was a caffiend myself, I can relate. It helps to have the treat to look forward to on the weekend for me.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:37 PM   #5  

Red face sugar free syrups

I have a funny story about sugar free coffee syrups. I was trying to make a healthier version of my favorite blended coffee drink so I bought some sf vanilla syrup and blended it with ice, milk, and expresso crystals. The first day I made it I was babysitting my neice. My sister came to my house to see her and have lunch with us at noon. We were standing in the kitchen talking and she starts to get this funny look on her face. and then she asks me if I have been drinking!! Like alcohol! She told me my breath smelled like hard liquor! a few days later my husband asks me the same thing! I finally figured out that the syrup has sugar alcohol and that must have been it.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #6  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

CA girl - sugar alcohols are not sugar, nor are they alcohol, they are just named that because they chemically look kinda like sugar and alcohol. Wonder if your sugar levels are ok? Diabetics often have the smell of alcohol on their breath when their sugar levels are high. Check it out.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:57 PM   #7  
ONE DAY AT A TIME

Default Coffee Creamer

Hi, I'm also a WW and love my coffee cream. Coffee Mate has a French Vanilla and Hazelnut creamer That is reduced calorie, I think it is 15 calories a serving. It tastes great. Good luck with your coffee issue.

Last edited by Alchina; 03-27-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #8  
Incrediburgable

I use fat free half and half and daVincis. I believe 4 tbsp of the nf half n half is one point. I rarely finish one cup of coffee, I keep pouring it out when it gets lukewarm. I hate reheated coffee.

that is funny about the sf syrup smelling like alcohol. It is true, on some folks they smell like booze. My daughter asked me one morning had I been drinking when I had used the SF syrup.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #9  

I use the fat free/reduced calorie creamers w fake sugar and its pretty good. Skim milk does NOT cut it when you are used to a rich, flavorful cup. I think we're still further ahead making our own than going to starbucks - 4pts for venti no fat no foam!
Old 04-21-2005, 04:14 PM   #10  

I drink it black - I like the taste of coffee.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:40 AM   #11  

I use fat free evaporated skim milk. I can have 1/4 cup for one point (or 2T for 1/2 a point) and it feels just like half and half to me -thick and creamy.

<oops!> Now that I re-read your post, I see you don't like the evap. milk! You might like adding 1/4 cup or more of reg. skim milk and some flavored syrup.

Last edited by KatyDes; 04-22-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:58 PM   #12  
BJ3

I sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of sugar free hot chocolate mix over the coffee grounds when I make the pot. Then use skim milk & Splenda. I want to look for the sugar free syrups some of you have talked about.
Also Ottoette, if that 1 point a cup means that much to you, just count it. If it begins your day on a happy note, maybe that 1 point is not too much. There are some things I will spend the extra points on and some are just not worth it. Only you know what works for you!
Old 04-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #13  
becRN

Hi ladies! I jsut found this site and am soooo excited! I have been on a plateau and someone told me I might be having trouble getting over the hump b/c of drinking caf. coffee vs. decaf. Anyone heard of this?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #14  
Eat well, Live well

I found that by switching to flavoured coffee (I use President's choice "Grind your own" from Zehrs") I could get rid of the sugar and creamer in my coffee. I never liked black coffee before, but freshly ground flavoured coffee is not as bitter. I save creamers for a treat on weekend mornings!
Old 05-08-2005, 08:48 AM   #15  

I feel your pain. After having my son, I (for SOME reason) was making cafe au laits like nutso. Suddenly I wanted more milk than ever. I realized I was drinking about 6 extra points in the mornings. I'm on a no brand ff half n half now, and I'm still looking for a better solution. Skim milk doesn't "cream" the coffee as well, I know. I'm trying to keep myself to 2 cups in the morning and TRYING not to drink anymore in the afternoons. I'm using green teas and flavored teas to ease me out of the habit. Sometimes, the green tea's aftertaste irritates me, so I use flavored. Other times, I feel like I'm doing something good for myself.

Also, to ease the transition, I am making pitchers of green iced tea. I don't drink it all the time, but I know it's good for me AND it's helping me to break the diet soda habit.
Closed Thread