100 lb. Club - Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005

Goddess Jessica
02-18-2005, 06:15 PM
So I've been looking through the new dietary guidelines. Here are some interesting things:

To lose weight - Participate in at least 60 to 90 minutes of daily moderate-intensity physical activity while not exceeding caloric intake requirements.

Consume a sufficient amount of fruits and vegetables while staying within energy needs. Two cups of fruit and 2 cups of vegetables per day are recommended for a reference 2,000-calorie intake, with higher or lower amounts depending on the calorie level.

Intensity Guide: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/physical/pdf/PA_Intensity_table_2_1.pdf

Here's the website: http://www.healthierus.gov/dietaryguidelines/

Sandi
02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Interesting.

This isn't the 1st time that have heard the numbers 60 - 90 minutes of exercise. All my life I had heard 30 min. Now I know 30 min is better than nothing, but I think our goal needs to be 60 min. I have also heard that you need more exercise to maintain if you have been heavy before.

I guess this means I had better adopt an active lifestyle as well as going to the gym to get that 60 - 90 min.

slimmingsi
02-23-2005, 07:06 PM
for most people that could be walk to and from the office 45 each way great in the summer bit harder when its pissing down or snowing

jillybean720
02-24-2005, 06:38 AM
I sooooo wish I could walk to work--traffic in this area is among the worst in the country! But, I happen to work about 13 miles from my apartment, so I would have to leave the night before to make it to work on time :p Hopefully, I'll have my gym membership finally transferred and all worked out soon so I can just stop at the gym on my way home from work to make it part of my daily routine during the week. Since I leave work at about 2pm, I could certainly spend at least 60 minutes at the gym--even more if I don't pass out :dizzy:

slimmingsi
02-24-2005, 06:57 AM
i'd walk or cycle to work if i didn't have to go through the narrow winding country lanes.since the average local goes through them at about 80 there is pretty low life expectancy