General Diet Plans and Questions - What does it mean to eat "clean"??

rebelridergirl
02-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I was wondering if it meant eating whole grains instead of white flour, etc. Just not very familiar with that term. Thanks!

chefbrian
02-17-2005, 11:38 AM
I believe I used that term! Yes, you are correct. I simply mean forget the junk and processed food. Eat the foods provided by Mother Nature - the whole grains, seeds, nuts, tubers, legumes, fruits and vegetables. Partake of nature's bounty!

rebelridergirl
02-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Ok, thanks...so no Lean Cuisines?? :( LOL

Mel
02-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Eating "clean" means something different for each person using the term. For me, it means no processed foods, no bread, no fatty meats, no sugar-added foods, no chemical foods, no "white" foods. Everyone defines "clean" based on their own food plan.

Mel

bicker
02-19-2005, 07:17 AM
That's a great way of putting it Mel. What's more: Your own definition may change as your dietary needs and pressures change.

aphil
02-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Yes...over the past few years my diet has changed drastically. :D

When I first started losing the weight from my second child-I started out simply counting calories and staying within a certain range...but over the past couple years, I have made more and more changes for better health.

I now limit my coffee to 1 cup a day, have upped my water intake, only drink diet soda when I occasionally go out to dinner (I don't keep it at home any longer for daily consumption), have switched to eating only 100% whole wheat breads, pastas, and cereals-no white, brown rice instead of white, a minimum of 5 servings of fruits and/or veggies a day...and I have become a "flexitarian". (Meaning I choose to eat meatless a couple days a week-although I utilize dairy, soy, nuts, and eggs to meet my protein requirements on those days.)

I find that for most people-the longer they exercise and practice "mindful eating" the healthier their food choices and the more intense their exercise regime becomes over time. I could not have jumped from my old lifestyle into what I am doing now...it had to play out and become small manageable changes over time for me.