Support Groups - Fit by Forty #2

View Full Version : Fit by Forty #2

krazykellyontario
02-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Just thought I'd start a new thread for us since the other one is getting long.

I'm making a salmon dish for dinner tonight. I got it from this site. Barbeque Roasted Salmon. I'll let you know how it turns out. Plus I was watching the food network yesterday, Michael Smith at Home, he made a wonderful looking side dish.
Heat up a pan, when it's hot add some olive oil, then add in some chunky cut zucchini...carmalize or brown to your liking, then add in cut up tomato, onions, salt and pepper. Cook till tomatoes are heated through. Sounds yummy and I'm going to try to make that tonight as well. Oh the family is in for a treat tonight! LOL :lol:

Well I got my exercise in for the day....yippee! And I found a wonderful treat at the grocery store today. Not sure if guys in the states have this store but I'm sure they are in every grocery store. They are called Roasted Soya Nuts. They are so yummy. They are very crunchy so if you have a craving for some crunch, try these. Just have to watch the salt is all as they are very salty.

Anyways...I'm off to watch Dr. Phil. I'll check back in later if I can.

krazykellyontario
02-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Where is everyone this morning?
Well I'm happy to report I made it through another day with flying colours! I can't believe I'm going into day 4 and I haven't fallen off the wagon yet or called it quits!

Anyways, it's about lunch time and lord knows that I can't miss a meal so I'll come back after see if anyone else had posted for today.

mama2a&c
02-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi Kelly! Glad to see you made it through another day! How did you dinner go last night? Maybe you can share the recipe?! I'm always looking for new ideas. I got my walking in for the day and I feel pretty good. My bum is a bit sore from yesterdays pilates but I'll live. I just finished lunch myself. Salmon, broccoli slaw, apple. Not all together! =) How are you doing on your water intake? Keep drinking! I have also been wearing my pedometer this week. It has kept me motivated. I think I paid less than $4 at walmart for it. Good little tool. Hope you have a good lunch!

Lisa

rtardif
02-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Good afternoon. Hey Kelly, I'm now on my 4th day, too. I started yet again this week, but I'm actually doing really well. I've walked every night, plus on my breaks and during lunch at work. And I haven't eaten anything I shouldn't have, except for those Russell Stover sugar-free jelly beans. Those just messed me up.

I just ate lunch, which was a Healthy Choice entre of roasted chicken w/mashed potatoes and gravy. I also had a Blue Bunny Lite 85 yogurt. My stomach is still growling, but I'm going to wait and see if it settles down on its own. If not, then I'll eat something else that's light. And drink my water.

Good luck to everyone. Stick with it!

rtardif
02-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Also, has anyone tried the Release system from GNC? My husband wants to try it. I tend to stay away from such things, but I haven't heard anything really negative either.

krazykellyontario
02-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Well today is still going well. The sun is shining here and that's always a good thing and great motivator! I did my exercise just after lunch 30 min of WATP.

Lisa--Dinner was yummy last night. I got the recipe from this sit in the low fat part called Barbeque Roasted Salmon. It was a hit with the family! And I never had anything after dinner either! I mean...no snack before bed! That's one of the worst habits I have to break. As for water...I'm averaging 6 glasses a day. In the winter it's so hard to drink my water because it's soooo cold out.

RTF--Sounds like you are doing good eating wise. Way to go! I've never heard of the Release system before. What is it?
I'm taking 2 tablets of siberian ginsing and one a day weight smart.

I've gotta work tonight so I think I'll have a salad for dinner and not sure what protien to go with it. Probably tuna.

Anyways...I'm off. I've gotta shower yet and dd just came home from school.
Talk to you all soon.

mama2a&c
02-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Eat this instead of that (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=780696#post780696)

Hi all! I just posted on another thread about an article I can across in my hubby's magazine. If you have to eat out or fast food is just calling your name read over the list and it gives you some better choices.

kimberlydrn
02-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Good afternoon ladies! Well, I slept late today to get back on night shift schedule, so I haven't exercised yet. I'm going to the circuit training class at our fitness center which starts at 5:00. I'll do an hour of cardio after that. I work 11p-7a tonight.

Kelly-Sounds like you're doing great. I'll have to try those nuts. I love all kinds of nuts. They sound delicious!

Lisa-Thanks for letting me know about the new thread. I would've never found it otherwise. How do you start a new thread on this website? I really need to invest in a pedometer. I've been saving up my UPC's from special K. Once I have 3, I get a free one. I'm on my 3rd box now. Sounds like you're doing great also. Loved that article you posted from Men's health.

Robin-You're doing great too! I've never heard of the Release system.

Hope you all have a great day. I weighed today, and my scale shows that I gained 5 pounds back while I was sick and making poor food choices and not exercising. I'm back on track now though! I had to take the angel away from my tracker, but you'll be seeing her again real soon!

rtardif
02-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Quick post:

Kim: It would be cheaper for you to just go to Wal Mart and buy a pedometer there. I eat a lot of the Special K w/berries and was going to order the ped from there. Then I noticed the $6.00+ S/H charge. I found the same one at Wal Mart for under $4.00. And since I'm there every week anyway, it wasn't worth it to me to bother mailing the box tops off and then having to wait for the ped to come back. Just a suggestion.

I have my first meeting of Overeaters Anonymous tonight. (So much for the anonymous part :) ). I'm just curious to see how it goes. This forum is working pretty well for me, too. My mother-in-law is going, too. I'm hoping it will help her. She has had heart problems in the past, but is still overweight. Not a good mix.

Take care. - Robin

kimberlydrn
02-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Good morning! Well, I just got home from work. Actually, after work I went to the fitness center and did 70 minutes of cardio. I did 30 minutes on the stairclimber, 17 minutes on the elliptical, then 23 on the treadmill (10 minutes were jogging). Then, I came home and was starving. I didn't do too bad though. I had a granola bar and a few pretzels. There was a time when I would come home from work and start binging and put away 100's of calories. I don't know why I always want to binge when I get home from work. I guess because I'm stressed and tired. :stress: :tired: I'm so glad I have you guys to vent to. :grouphug:

Robin- Thanks for the pedometer info. :thanks: How many steps am I supposed to take each day? How did the Overeaters Anon. meeting go?

Lisa-I'm drinking my water. I probably got in 100 oz. yesterday. :cp:

rtardif
02-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Well I went to the OA meeting last night. However, it turned out to actually be a Greysheet Anonymous meeting, which I had never heard of. It's an offshoot of OA, but has a rigid diet plan that it's members adhere to and maintain a complete abstinence of everything not on their list of proper foods. That kind of diet does not work for me. I know what I need to eat and not eat, but that it's okay to occassionally treat myself to a small amount of something good. They don't focus on exercise at all, which I know should be part of all long-term dietary plans. I don't do "diets." So, I probably won't go back. My mother-in-law says she might try it, so I might occassionally go with her for moral support.

Kim: I actually quit using my step counter. It would count every slight movement as a step. I was wearing it while I was washing dishes one night and managed to take 1250 steps. I just go by distance or time.

I need to work on my water intake. Do any of you have the problem of having to make frequent trips to the bathroom from drinking this much water? I think that's the main reason I don't drink enough. I get tired of having to go so much. :o Overall, though, I'm still doing better than I was.

Have a great day!

rtardif
02-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Where is everyone? Oh well. I need to vent. :mad: :mad: I know that some people just don't get how hard it is for others to lose weight. But why do they have to they have to make it even worse by being inconsiderate. I've done really well all week - no sugar or sweets, at least up until this afternoon. There are only six people in my immediate office. Three thin people who can literally eat whatever they want, and the other three of us who are all at least 50lbs overweight. My boss, one of the thin ones, brought in a icecream birthday cake this afternoon for one of the other thin people. I was the only overweight one in the office at the time. They went to serve it up and I refused. I really didn't want any. The three of them gave me a hard time about it. :mad: I finally relented and told them I wanted only the smallest piece possible. I took the piece back to my cubicle, where I wasn't going to eat it, but just throw it away. As I said, I really didn't want this cake. Just as I went to throw it away, my boss said I could (meaning should) go join them at the conference table. So I ended up going over there and picked at the cake. When they saw that I wasn't really eating it, they kept giving me a hard time about it. I finally just ate the *&^$ thing to shut them up. :mad: Now, I'm pissed at myself for giving in, and pissed at them for not being more sympathetic. :mad: I can honestly say it will not happen again. Next time, I'm just going to tell them that if they don't like me trying to better my health, then they can shove it ....

The coworker, that I have a weightloss challenge with, and I just got back from a walk. He wasn't in the office while the cake was being served. So, he got lucky.

It was my 3rd walk of the day, though. I've taken three, approx 3/4mile walks today. And I will still do my 2-mile walk tonight. And I will go hiking and work out this weekend. But I'm still mad...

Thanks for letting me vent.

Abstract927
02-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Robin - that is sooo frustrating! I just don't understand why people have to make a big deal out of what you eat or don't eat. I'm just not sure what it has to do with them anyway. I don't know your situation at all but it sounds a bit manipulative to me. Some people like things to stay as they are. You are making healthy lifestyle changes so you are changing the dynamic. Good for you! ...and like you said they can 'shove' what they don't like!

I wouldn't do well on that Greysheet Anonymous deal either. I think this has to be individualized - all the success stories of people I know and people I read about seem to say the same thing. They taylored their plan to fit them. You're right. Listen to your body - you know what works for you.

I do find that I am running to the washroom really often when I drink more water too (sometimes every 10 - 15 minutes). The good news is that when I drink a lot of water - and I am consistent about it - it usually only takes 2-3 weeks for my body to adjust so I don't have to go as often. I hope you'll find the same...

I've done okay the past couple of days - have made some not so healthy food choices but have still managed to stay in my calorie range. My co-workers had an early birthday celebration for me yesterday and a male co-worker of mine made me a cake - poppy seed and sherry bundt cake with cream cheese glaze. My husband hasn't ever baked me a cake so the fact that my co-worker did was really touching. I stuck to a small piece but it was sooo delicious I could have easily eaten a quarter of the cake! Seriously! And then today I broke down and had chicken fingers for lunch. As I said I'm okay with calories but the fat content is a bit higher than I've been shooting for (still plenty acceptable though) and I'm still doing way better than before so that's progress.....

Have a great weekend!

mama2a&c
02-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Quick post for me....

Robin, there will be a lot more of those kinds of situations that come up when you start loosing weight. People will make comments like since you are loosing some weight it should be okay for you to eat the cake. It won't kill you. Just rememeber the promise you made to yourself. Always listen to your heart.

Sherrie, that cake sounds pretty yummy. It was incredibly sweet of your co-worker. Did you have a happy birthday? How are you doing with your exercising?

Kim, you are an inspiration! You are an exercising machine girl! Keep it up and you will have that angel back in no time!

Well, I'm dealing with a sick household at the moment. Hubby has flu and bronchitis and daughter ran fever of 101.7 so I'm sure she is about to break out with the flu as well. Son was sick last weekend so I'm just waiting for the shoes to drop and throw me down on the floor. I'm walking around with a can Lysol trying to stay healthy!!! I have continued to do pilates and get my walking in when I can. As for the pedometer you can adjust the counter to match your own steps. I can't remember how but it is in the instructions. You are supposed to be getting 10,000 steps a day. Some days I make it, some I miss by 6,000 steps! Just keep trying. It really makes you notice if you are being a bump on the log! My food intake yesterday was awful. My hubby only wanted to eat out. Said nothing I make sounded good! After lunch yesterday (which I couldn't eat half of) I was soooo sick to my stomach. I think my body was just rejecting the nasty food. I'll try and do better today.

Have a great day! Drink your water....walk your 10,000 steps and get some exercise in! Anything counts!

Lisa

kimberlydrn
02-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Good Morning! I just got home from work. I won't be able to work out this weekend because I have my son and our fitness center is closed on weekends. I'll just have to be careful with my calories.

Robin- That is so frustrating!!! I can empathize with you because I have coworkers that are the EXACT same way. People are always bringing homemade desserts to work. That's my weakness. I've even had a coworker cut me a piece of cake and follow me around with it. Also, when I first started drinking water, I'd go to the bathroom like every 15 minutes. Even after drinking it for 4 months, I probably go every hour. It makes a huge difference though. I feel like water and exercise are what have helped me more than anything.

Sherrie- Your cake sounds delicious! I don't think I could've stopped at 1 piece though.

Lisa- Hope everyone in your family feels better. Hopefully you won't catch it.

Have any of you tried the slimfast peanut butter crunch snack bars (not the meal ones)? They are to die for!!!

Abstract927
02-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Just checking in. I don't know why I am resisting exercise....but I am. Gotta force myself. I have not been consistent. Hit and miss isn't going to get this behind in shape. I've been staying within my calorie range but the weight isn't moving so clearly I have to MOVE IT! :tread: to lose it! I'm just having a protein shake and I am definitely....DEFNITELY.... getting on the treadmill within the next hour. I feel so good when I exercise and a sense of accomplishment....feels like that familiar self-sabotage coming up from below my conscious radar. Gotta fight it.

Everyone around me has been sick too and I feel like I'm coming down with it. Have been pouring in anything that boosts the immune system so hopefully I can ward it off.

My birthday is actually tomorrow but I've had a few treats this week already so I don't think I'll be indulging in anything else. My husband has been renovating our basement into a new studio for me and hopefully it'll be done (or nearly so) by the end of the weekend. That is so much better than anything I could eat. :D

I came across a Booker T Washington quote a while ago, "There are two ways of exerting one's strength; one is pushing down, the other is pulling up." My previous strategies to lose weight have come out of guilt and shame for what had become of my body....pushing down! This time I'm trying to focus on doing better, being better from a place of gratitude for this blessed life I have....pulling up. Even though the progess is slow and there have been a couple of backward steps I really feel better about it this time. I have to remind myself that this is a marathon not a sprint and the difference this time....I KNOW I'll do it.

Tomorrow I'll be 38...and I know my issues with weight are coming to an end...I can feel it in my bones!

Lisa stay healthy. Robin, you're doing great - don't let that cake situation throw you. Kim run on. Kelly keep it up. Sandra and Loren (wherever you are) we're here to support you. Thank you all for the encouragement and support you've given me.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

kimberlydrn
02-20-2005, 01:29 AM
Happy Birthday Sherry!!! :hb: :hat: :gift:
Love your quote and your new strategy!

kimberlydrn
02-20-2005, 07:17 PM
I know that I posted last, but just wanted to say that I am having a great day today. I woke up early, did my 3 mile WATP video, made breakfast for my son and his friend, did my devotions, then attended an awesome church service. I've spent the afternoon watching movies with my son, and now I'm getting ready to go to work. If I can make it through 12 hours in the ICU, I'll be off for 4 days in a roll. CAN'T WAIT! We're going to have a good week... I can feel it.

Abstract927
02-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks Kim. I hope this great day turns into a great week for you! :D

krazykellyontario
02-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Happy Belated Birthday Sherry!

How did everyone's weekend go? Mind was good for the most part. Had yesterday off and when dh woke up, he felt like crap. He's coming down with the flu. And you all know what guys are like when they are sick. So I had to listen to his moaning, groaning and coughing all day long! LOL Poor guy.

I've done pretty good this week with my eating and exercising. I slipped up on the weekend with that dang wine. But other than that, I'm very proud of myself. And I should be. I got on the scales this morning and I'm down 2 lbs from last week. :bravo:

We got a crappy snow storm over night so first thing this morning I was out shovelling the snow from the driveway and the sidewalks. Not exactly what I wanted to do before breakfast! But I'm counting that as extra exercise for me today!

Well I'm off to my breakfast.
I'll check back in later.

mama2a&c
02-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Since Sherrie posted a quote I thought I'd share some I have collected. I printed these off and now the paper sits on my treadmill. Keeps me going!

-Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality.

-Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

-Never, never, never, never give up. (Winston Churchill)

-Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live.

-The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!

-The first and the best victory is to conquer self.

-The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It's your mind you have to convince. (Vince Lombardi)

-The groundwork of all happiness is health.

-The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.

Well, everyone is feeling a bit better around here. I'm still well so maybe I won't get sick after all! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I did not stick to healthy eating this weekend and I did almost no exercise. Not only did I fall off the wagon but I think it ran me over! Today I got back in the game though. I had my eggs, turkey bacon and grapefruit for breakfast. Lunch will be salmon & broccoli slaw. Got to get my veggies and protein in! I'll get some walking in while the little one naps this afternoon.

Keep up the good work everyone! I would love to see some more quotes!
Lisa

mama2a&c
02-21-2005, 03:58 PM
This is a chart in Dr. Phil's weight loss book. Its pretty shocking but makes it real.

"The information in this chart is based on typical calorie counts of foods
and beverages, as well as on scientific studies of the caloric cost of
specific eating behaviors. Results may vary from person to person. Annual
weight gain is based on calculating the estimated yearly caloric cost of
each behavior, then dividing by 3,500 calories (the number of additional
calories it takes to gain one pound.) *These figures have been rounded up."

EATING BEHAVIOR --- WEEKLY CALORIC COSTS -- ANNUAL CALORIC COSTS --
POTENTIAL WEIGHT GAIN PER YEAR

Eating second helpings (200 calories per helping) three times a week -- 600
extra calories a week -- 31,200 extra calories a year -- 9 pounds

Habitual overeating, every day, 380 extra calories a day -- 2,660 extra
calories a week -- 138,320 extra calories a year -- 40 pounds*

Eating a super-sized bagel (4-1/2" diameter, 323 calories), three times a
week, rather than having a small bagel, (3" diameter, 156 calories -- 500
extra calories a week -- 26,000 extra calories a year -- 8 pounds*

Eating Big Macs (or equivalent, 570 calories) twice a week, rather than
choosing a small-size hamburger (260 calories) -- 620 extra calories a
week -- 32,240 extra calories a year -- 9 pounds

Eating one glazed doughnut (290 calories) every day at work during your
coffee break - 1,450 extra calories a week -- 75,400 extra calories a
year -- 21 pounds*

Drinking a cup of whole milk (150 calories) twice a day, rather than having
skim milk (86 calories) -- 896 extra calories a week -- 46,600 extra
calories a year -- 13 pounds

Drinking one regular soda a day (144 calories), rather than having a
calorie-free soda -- 1,008 extra calories a week -- 52,400 extra calories a
year -- 15 pounds

Snacking on 15 to 20 potato chips a day (150 calories) -- 1,050 extra
calories a week - 54,600 extra calories a year -- 16 pounds*

Eating bowl of regular ice cream (280 calories) five times a week, rather
than having a bowl of nonfat frozen yogurt (160 calories) -- 600 extra
calories a week -- 31,200 extra calories a year -- 9 pounds

Bingeing twice a week (1,000 to 3,000 calories per binge) -- 2,000 to 6,000
extra calories a week -- 104,00 to 312,00 extra calories a year -- 30 to 90
pounds

Eating out at fast-food restaurants five times a week compared to having a
healthy meal prepared at home (56 extra calories per fast-food meal) -- 280
extra calories a week -- 14,560 extra calories a year -- 4 pounds

Snacking while watching television, five hours a week (136 extra calories
per snack) -- 680 extra calories a week -- 35,360 extra calories a year --
10 pounds

Nighttime eating, five episodes a week (270 calories per episode) -- 1,350
extra calories a week -- 70,200 extra calories a year -- 20 pounds

Drinking three beers at Happy House once a week (146 calories per beer) --
438 extra calories a week -- 22,776 extra calories a year -- 6-1/2 pounds

If you couldn't tell I love to collect all kinds of information! Lisa

kimberlydrn
02-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Kelly-way to go with the 2 pounds!!! That is awesome!

Lisa- Right after that wagon ran over you, it ran over me. Girl, I have been hitting the chocolate the last 2 days. We ate girl scout cookies all night at work last night, and I've been eating Dove chocolates today. Wish I could blame it on TOM, but I can't this time. I did do 93 minutes of cardio after work this morning, but I don't think it touched the calories I consumed. I'll be back on track tomorrow though. Loved the Dr. Phil info and the quotes!

mama2a&c
02-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Kim, That wagon feels like a monster truck! I have been at the store almost everyday and discovered that Dreyers ice cream makes a Thin Mint ice cream. And why do those nasty little girl scouts sell their cookies in January when everyone is on a diet?! UGH!

Yesterday I did some pilates and did some free weights for my arms. I also did something I haven't done since high school.....I ran....a half a mile! LOL. I know that is not that much but when you are soooooo out of shape a half a mile is really really really far! It felt pretty good too. I'll see what I can do today. I also weighed myself and although I haven't lost any more weight I didn't gain any either. I guess that is good. Doesn't seem like it but I'll take it!

Kelly, congrats on the 2 pounds! Its amazing oh good two pounds feels.

Sherrie, I hope all is well and you haven't gotten sick! I also hope you have found some motivation to get in that exercise you were looking for!

Keep up the good work! Drink you water...it really does make a difference!
Lisa

rtardif
02-22-2005, 02:14 PM
I hope everyone is off to a great start for the week. :) I did okay for the weekend, but not great. However, I didn't eat any sweets, candy, or pastries, so I did pretty good. I didn't get to go for as many walks this weekend because it rained part of the time. But I did go for a walk on both Saturday and Monday. The weather was beautiful yesterday, and both my DH and I had the day off so we went for a long hike in the country. :cool: Walking up hills gets the heart pumping. I didn't do very well at all with my water intake though. I really have to work on that. I just hate having to go to the BR all the time. :mad:

Thank you all for the support with the issue of the peer pressure from the coworkers. If anything, I think it's made me more determined this time.

Happy Belated Birthday, Sherrie! :balloons: I'll be 38 this year, too. It's amazing how our bodies can change once we hit 30. But this year will be changes the better for both of us.

I love the quotes and Dr. Phil stuff, Lisa. The binging twice a week hit home with me. I used to get stressed out and then binge on pastries, telling myself that I'll start a new diet tomorrow. Several years of that caused me to gain this weight. But no more! :no: :no: :no:

We had my mother-in-law and her husband over for dinner on Saturday. And for the first time, it really bothered me to watch someone else overeat. My mother-in-law needs to lose quite a bit of weight, too. She knows it and is always saying things like, "I haven't had a greasy hamburger in a while, so I'm going to treat myself." or "I haven't splurged in a while, so I'm going to eat some of this cake." Even though, I know she probably had had something just as bad the day before. I had tried to make a healthy dinner - crock pot herb & garlic chicken with vegetables, a salad, a little bit of pasta, and some lowfat biscuits. She ate two of the busquits smothered in butter and honey, not to mention the huge amount of other food that she ate. And I think I recognized myself too much in her because it turned my stomach to watch her eat like that. Anyone else feel like this now, too? But it did give me incentive to work harder at my own eating habits.

Well, have a good week. Small steps up make it easier to get to the top.
Robin

OrcaFan
02-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Hello, everyone! I'm sorry I haven't been posting. Between school issues with my daughter, a friend passing away, and my husband overhauling my computer (he still isn't finished with it, but at least I can get online now) I just haven't been able to get here.

Food intake has been nothing but old, horrible habits. Felt good at the time but doesn't feel good now. I have been forgetting to drink my water and have been irritable and grumpy. Not to mention the fact that TOM was here ... and he doesn't visit every month so when I do see him, it's usually a doozy of a visit. Chocolate was my best friend for a couple of days. And then I looked in the mirror and was disgusted that I did that. Story of my life .. should have learned this lesson by the thousandth time, don't ya think? NOTHING tastes as good as thin feels, or so I've been told :D

Anyway ... I'm back, wanting to get on track and "stay alive in 2005" :D

Happy Belated Birthday, Sherrie!!!!!!!

Blessings,

Sandra

mama2a&c
02-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Robin, glad you were able to enjoy some nice weather. I know what you mean about watching other people eat. For me I watch people at the grocery store. I see what things they have in their basket. People with tons of goodies, sugarey cereal, breads, ect. usually are over weight too. It is what all those skinny people are carrying around that I'm really interested in! Lots of veggies and fruits seem to make up most of their basket with maybe one sweet treat. Somewhere I heard that skinny people tend to be picky people. I'm not picky at all. I'll eat just about anything....and look at me. I have tried to be a little more picky about food. Maybe its working and maybe its not! Just gotta keep on going!

Sandra, glad to see you are back! School issues can always be stressful. Even though my son is in middle school I seem to be in contact with atleast one teacher on a weekly basis. I always ask myself....will it ever end?! Even if you aren't eating great try and get that water in. If you can tackle one habit the others will fall into place and soon you won't want to eat the bad stuff....even if it is TOM! Keep working girl and post more often....we missed you!

Lisa

Abstract927
02-22-2005, 09:52 PM
...just have a quick minute to fly through. Whatever truck ran some of you over made a trip north too cause I also fell off the wagon and got run over by it.

I'm feeling rather unmotivated lately as some disturbing news over the weekend has me eating away my stress like usual. I'll get it together but am not going to beat myself up over it. This week looks to be complete write off for me but that is a relative term. Even when I'm off plan I'm not as off as I'd be if I didn't pay any attention at all. Baby steps....

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes. Congratulations to all who've stayed on the wagon, to all who've fallen off and got back on, and to anyone struggling but running to catch up with the wagon. That takes care of all of us right? :D

Have a great tomorrow!

kimberlydrn
02-23-2005, 03:45 PM
I've had such a lazy day today. I haven't even exercised, but I've only had 35 calories so I'm not doing too bad.

Lisa-Great job running the 1/2 mile. I couldn't run 1/2 mile the first time I tried to run. Running burns lots of calories though. Keep it up, you're doing great!

Robin-Good job refraining from pastries. I haven't noticed anyone else overeating here lately except for me. Hopefully, I've got things under control now though.

Sandra-So glad to hear from you. We missed you! Sorry to hear about your friend.

kimberlydrn
02-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Sherry- I forgot to post to you earlier for some reason. I had pizza tonight, but didn't eat as much as I used to. I used to eat 8 pieces. I love pizza! It's probably my favorite thing to eat. I ate 5 thin crust pieces tonight, but that's all I've had besides a granola bar. If I don't eat anything else, I'll be doing O.K. It could be worse anyway. Well, girl, that wagon is gone. Tomorrow is a new day. We don't have to write off the whole week. Let's start fresh tomorrow together. We can do it!

rtardif
02-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Good evening everyone. I hope you're all doing well. Are you drinking your water? I have a hard time with that. But I do have a large glass here with me right now. I'm even drinking some of it.

Well, my test with the coworkers came today. My boss brought out the left over icecream cake from last Thursday. I told her before she went to get it that I wasn't going to eat it, and I didn't. She later made a sarcastic remark telling one of the guys to eat my part since I wasn't having any. I don't know if she truly meant it that way, but that's the way it sounded. Maybe I'm just being sensitive.

I probably won't be checking in much on the weekends for a while. My DH and I just closed on our land, and so now we can begin building our house. We have to find a contractor and such, but we're ready to go. It's going to be a lot of work, especially because we both work full time, too. But I'm hoping the extra work will burn a lot of calories for me. I won't mind if I drop and lose a few pounds out on the property. They won't be welcome in the new house anyway.

Have a great evening everyone! I might check in later. I think I'm going to spend most of the evening doing our taxes! FUN! :p

Robin

krazykellyontario
02-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Nothing new much going on here with me. I'm doing fairly good with my eating, slacking in the exercise department this week though. Need to get my butt in gear.

Robin--Great job for not succumbing(sp) to the dreaded icecream cake. Yesterday I bought ds and dh each a Peanut Butter Chunky Kit Kat. But didn't buy one for myself as I usually would have. When dh ate his last night, I asked if I could have a bite of his. I did....and it was heaven. And that's all I had. I never asked for another bite. I'm proud of myself for that. And one bite is not going to hinder my weightloss.

Kim--Pizza is one of my favourite foods too! I could eat half a large pizza myself with the ranch or caesar dipping sauce! Therefore....I will not order it or buy a frozen one for the family if I'm around....cause it's just too much temptation for me. But Congrats to you for not over indulging with it!

Sherry--Don't write the whole week of yet! Get back in the game girlfriend! Today is a new day. Consciously(sp) make the effort to stay on track. Make a short term goal for yourself for the rest of the week. Like..I will only eat my 3 healthy meals a day...or I will drink all my water every day....or I will exercise every day for the rest of the week etc. If you put your mind to it....you can do it.

Lisa--I know about watching what other large people eat. I work in as a server in the restaurant industry. I can't believe what some people will order....for instance...just this past weeked I had a lady or....to start..a french onion soup, then a small caesar salad...and for her main course...a 9 oz. fillet with a baked potato with sour cream. As I walked to the table and asked anyone if they were ready for dessert or if they wanted and dessert...the lady was using her fingers and eating the skin of her potato. It wasn't the whole using her fingers that bothered me...especially in a restaurant...but she had the whole potato skin picked up in and was biting chuncks of it off. Instead of maybe ripping a a piece off of it while it was still on her plate. Then she ordered....with her mouth full of potato skins....a cherry cheesecake and a coffe. I was thinking....how can anyone have any room for dessert after eating all that!

Okay..now that thats off my chest I need to get my dd ready for school. I'll check back in here later if I have time this afternoon between my shifts.
Have a great day!

kimberlydrn
02-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Robin-I agree that you you did great not eating the ice cream cake. Keep it up!

Kelly-I think I would've had to have my own Kit Kat. You've got some willpower girlfriend. That's probably why you weigh 135 pounds. I would LOVE to weigh that. Actually 140 is a pretty good weight for me, but if I ever get down to that, I might lower my goal to 135. That's a whole lot of food that the woman ate in your restaurant. It sounds so good right now though. I haven't had a steak in so long.

Have any of you tried the Boca burgers? They are actually pretty good. That's what I'm having for dinner tonight. I'm getting ready to go to the gym. Have a great day!

kimberlydrn
02-25-2005, 02:42 AM
Well, I worked my tail off at the gym tonight. I went to my first step aerobics class, and I loved it!!! It was so fun! After that, I did 22 minutes on the stairclimber, then 43 minutes on the treadmill. I'm up to 18 minutes total jogging. 25 minutes of it was walking. Then, I did some weights. I spent 2 hours there. Hopefully, I'll start to see some weight loss again soon.

krazykellyontario
02-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I hope you all didn't quit on me!
I'm here!
How did everyone's weekend go? Were you able to stick to healthy eating? Did anyone do anything interesting?
My weekend was the same as any other weekend. I had to work and it was boring....lol
I did manage to be fairly consistant with my healthy eating. I sooooo sooooo slacked on the exercise part of it. But...what a pleasant surprise I had this morning when I stepped on the scales. DOWN 3 LBS! So that's 5 lbs in 2 weeks! I'm getting ready to start practicing my shout.....Bring on the summer and the 2 pc bath suits cause here I come!!!!!!!

Anyways...I'm off to get ready for my walk.
I'll chat with you all later.
Have a great day!

rtardif
02-28-2005, 04:47 PM
You're not alone! I'm back from Spokane now. The Home & Garden show was great. We got a lot of good information and ideas for our house. But man I was tired afterwards. I really admire nurses and such who have to be on their feet all day every day with their jobs. We spent about 8 hours on Friday visiting all of the booths and vendors. By time we got to the hotel, I was exhausted. I did okay, but not good or great, with the eating while I was gone. For breakfast on Saturday, I did have two slices of French toast with my eggs and ham. But at least I didn't just poor on the syrup like I used to. I just dipped each bit a little bit in the syrup. And I ended up not using even half of the little tub they had brought me. And I scraped off the pat of butter. So, I could have done much worse. At the show, they had both kettle corn and chocolate-dipped, chocolate-chip cookies. But I didn't have any of either.

I weighed in this morning and have lost one pound. Not as much as I would have liked, but I'll take it. The downer is that I found out that I had the wrong weight on my status bar on my signature, so it's still the same. But I think I'm having my TOM, which would mean I'm carrying extra water, too. I say I think because I had a hysterectomy a few years ago, but I still have one ovary. So I don't always know if the symptoms I'm experiencing are from the TOM or just gas, or whatever else. I actuallly still do get some minor cramping and abdominal discomfort, along with nausea, migraines, etc. My face has been breaking out really bad this time for some reason, too. What joy it is to be a woman!!!

The weather here was beautiful yesterday. I'm in NorthCentral Idaho and was wearing a t-shirt in Feb. Not the norm. But we took our dog for a walk at the lake. We probably hiked three miles, up and down hills. I was sure feeling the burn in my butt muscles.

Kelly: Congratulations on the scale! Five pounds down is a great thing.

Kim: Your workouts are so inspiring! You and Kelly should be bikini fit in no time at the rate you're going! Keep it up.

Hope everyone is doing well and drinking the water.
Robin

kimberlydrn
02-28-2005, 07:52 PM
I had a pretty good weekend. I did WATP Sat, but had too many calories. Sunday I did decent on eating, but didn't exercise. I did go to the gym this morning after work and do 62 minutes of cardio. I had a really busy night at work last night, so I probably burned a bunch of calories there. Today I started a 5 day plateau breaking diet. I thought it might help me to "detox" my system again. I'm already hooked on the "junk" that I was eating before. I've done very well today. By the way, I had a date Sat. night (first one over 2 years). I actually had a pretty good time. It was a big step for me to "get back out there". I have had some bad experiences with a couple of different men in the past, but I need to get out of the house every once in a while. For over 2 years, the only places I've gone are work, church, and places with my son. I might try to start going out once or twice a month.

Kelly-I'm so glad you posted. I've checked several times, but I didn't want to post 3 in a row, so I was waiting for someone else to post. WOOOHOOOO on the 5 pounds! :cp: You are an inspiration to me now. I need to get my butt in gear.

Robin-I'm jealous of your Tshirt weather. I'm so ready for spring. You did so good resisting those chocolate-dipped choc. chip cookies. I caved in and ate some hostess cupcakes Sat. They were delicious, but 400 calories. :nono: That's great that you're making small changes like you are. Baby steps will get us there eventually. I will have to say that I'll never be in a bikini again. I might could do a 2 piece with the little shorts though. ;)

krazykellyontario
03-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Well, we got another snow storm through out the night. I'm really getting depressed with all this snow we've been getting this winter. I tell ya.....the spring and summer better be worth waiting for this year. I'm dreading the thought of having to go outside and shovel the friggin driveway and sidewalk. I know it's good exercise for me.....but I still don't want to do it! LOL

Robin--Sounds like you had a fun weekend. And you did really well with your eating under the circumstances. Keep up the great work and you'll be fit in no time.

I just have to say...I heard someone coming up the street with a snow blower...and I looked out my window....(i"m not dressed yet...still have on jammies and my robe) and there was a very nice young man snowblowing the entire sidewalk from one end of the street to the other and....he snow blowed out my end of the driveway where the big town snow plough had gone by and ploughed in my driveway! I'll have to make sure I thank this young man.

Kim--Keep at it. You're on your way. You are doing great. I usually find the weekends are the hardest to stay on track. I'm so stoked right now, I'm ready to burst. After all these years of trying everything under the sun to lose weight....I think I've found what works for me! Congrats on your date on sat. night. Was it good enough for a second one with this same person? lol

Well....I've babbled enough. I've had my grapefruit already and now I'm going to make some scrambled eggs with salsa. I'll pop back in here later.

rtardif
03-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Howdy Kelly & Kim! Where is everyone else?

Kim: Congrats on the date! I hope he is a good guy. Will you be seeing him again? How did you meet? I know - questions, questions. I'm a romantic at heart, and happily married. I want everyone else to be as happy.

Kelly: Sorry to hear about the snow. But that sure was a nice guy to blow off your sidewalk and driveway. Up until last year, I lived in Montana for quite a while. I know what it's like to shovel snow. We used to have to shovel off our deck, and my back would be so sore by time I finished. I hated it. I love the snow because it makes everything look clean and pretty. And I love to cross-country ski. But it's a lot of work, too. The only thing positive I got from shovelling it was that I knew it was good exercise. So, afterwards, I'd go treat myself to something bad to eat. :D

I went for my walk last night, but I had to really push myself. I wasn't going to go, but then made myself. And then when I got out there, it was cold and windy. I really had to push myself to complete the walk. If my husband and dog hadn't been there, my walk would have been more like a mosey. But I did it and I feel good about that. I wish gaining weight had been this hard. I never would have done it.

Have a great day.
Robin

Abstract927
03-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone!

Well my stress filled horrible week has hopefully ended. My healthy eating has been on again off again -- same with the exercise. I'm glad to see everyone else is moving along in a positive direction.

Way to go Kim! That takes courage to put yourself out there and I applaud you! :cp:

Kelly - sorry 'bout all that snow. We've had it unusually mild here in north western Alberta. It has been close to zero and above for a few weeks. I hope this means spring is early! I love the crisp clean white of the snow but I can do without all the driveway shovelling, window scraping, freezing rain, and minus 40 temps. making us wear bulky extra layers and big boots. I'm sending good thoughts your way and wish spring weather to follow.

Robin - I love what you said! Yup, if only gaining weight woulda been harder .... :shrug:

Keep up the good stuff everyone!

kimberlydrn
03-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Sherrie-Thank you. I've been missing ya. :grouphug:

Kelly-Thank you. What diet plan are you following? You probably told me, but I've forgotten. And yes, my date was good enough for another (if he asks me). ;)

Robin-Good job taking your walk. :bravo: I tried to take a walk with my son yesterday, and it was way too chilly. I do hope to see this guy again if he calls me. A friend at work introduced us. We all 4 went out together. It made things easier having her there with us.

Well, I've done really well eating so far this week. This diet has been easy to follow, and I haven't been hungry. I figured the calories yesterday and today to be about 1250 each day. I did 61 minutes of cardio (30 minutes on the stairclimber and 31 on the treadmill) and weights. I hope to follow this 5 day diet Mon-Fri, then eat one meal when I wake up Sat. (I usually wake up around 3:00pm and go back to bed by 12:00am), then use Sun as my "cheat day". If I lose this way, I'm hoping to continue until I reach my goal weight. I do better with structure. I find that the smallest amount of junk food or sweets makes me want to binge.

rtardif
03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm sitting at work now. And right near my cubicle, next to the bathroom, is a huge birthday cake - a double-layer, chocolate cake with white fluffy frosting. It's driving me nuts!!! I'm trying to drink more water, which is causing me to make more trips to the bathroom. I'm being strong, but it's very hard. I love cake! And I've come to the conclusion about myself that it's much easier for me to just abstain completely rather than just eat one or two small bites. If I taste it at all, I'll be sneaking back in for more. Oh, the torture!!!

Well, I'm going to dive back into work to keep my mind off other things. I hope everyone is doing well.
Robin

kimberlydrn
03-03-2005, 04:00 AM
Well, I didn't make it through my 5 day diet. I cheated today, and I ended up eating 2750 calories. I switched back to weight watchers because I've still been keeping up with points too. I'll still be within my points for the week as long as I don't eat more than 5 extra flex points. I don't know why I do this. I'll be doing so good, then all of a sudden I'll binge. I did get in my exercise this morning though. I did 60 minutes of cardio. I actually ran 1.5 miles. I really pushed myself and figure I probably burned around 500 calories. Hopefully I maintained today with the workout. I get to start with a new trainer Monday, so that should help me. Well, I hope you girls did better than I did.

rtardif
03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
I hope everyone isn't getting tired of posting every day, or at all. I really enjoy "talking" with everyone. And it helps me to know I'm not going through this alone. You are all very supportive. I hope I offer the same.

Kim: Don't worry so much about the binging, but try to think of what set you off in that direction. Did you skip meals the rest of the day and were really hungry? Or were you stressed? Overcoming my binging has been my biggest obstacle. But at least with the exercise, your metabolism is speeding up overall. So you haven't done as much damage as you would have before you started exercising.

The cake is still in the kitchen, but I can't hear it yelling at me today. I'm pretending it's stale. :lol: My husband keeps giving me ideas on what to do with it, such as throwing it out the window. :devil: But since I'm not the only person in the office, I can't really do that.

I did just come back from my morning walk. I'm figuring that I walk 2-4 miles a day. I walk on my breaks in the morning and afternoon, and then my dh and I walk 2 miles most evenings. Last night's walk had me dragging. I was really having to push myself to finish. The problem is I have to finish to get back to my car.

I'm going to my neice's 3rd birthday party on Sunday. And I expect there will be all kinds of goodies. I have no idea what to get her, though. Unfortunately, her older sister is really the jealous kind, so I have to find things for the birthday girl that her sister won't take. And since I don't have kids, I have no idea what 3-year-old girls want.

Have a great day. I'll probably check back in later.
Robin

krazykellyontario
03-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Just a short message as I'm inbetween shifts.

So far I've walked...sun to thrus. I walked last night from 6:30-7:15. In the freezing cold I might add. Then I walked this morning from 7:30-8:15..in the freezing cold I might add again! But I'm loving it! Go figure!

Robin....post 15 times a day....or however much you want. I love it! I've been pretty good with my eating...and great with my exercising...it's this damn* wine! that seems to be holding me back!

Kim...A cheat here and there isn't going to reck havoc on your diet. It's if you cheat every day(I need to take my on adice) that will alter your long term outcome. I had pasta last night for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks. It was whole wheat..and I'm sure I had a bit more than a portion. But....if I wasn't watching what I was eating...I would of had 2 huge plates full..would of been full after the 1st plate and would of forced the 2nd one down because it tasted soooooooo good and then I would of been in agony the rest of the night because I was so full. So...in short...I'm quite proud of myself for that small accomplishment.

I have to head back to work shortly as I'm working a split. I'll pop back in tomorrow around this time and see how everyone is doing. Maybe I need to post back on the buddy group board that we have a board here ....fit by forty for anyone who wants to join as I think maybe we have lost a few in the journey.
Everyone have a great night!

kimberlydrn
03-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Today's went pretty well so far. I did 90 minutes of cardio, which included a step class, 15 minutes on the stairclimber, running 1 mile and walking 1.5 miles. So far, I've eaten some fat free ice cream (nutritious breakfast, huh?) and 1/2 serving of almonds, and I'm getting ready to make a turkey sandwich.

Robin-you're doing so good resisting temptation and with your walking. Keep it up, girl!

Kelly-way to go with the walking and not stuffing yourself on the pasta! Hopefully we'll have some more newcomers start posting. I was looking back through our posts and there are a lot that have quit posting. I also enjoy the encouragement I get here.

Have a great night!

Abstract927
03-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi everyone!

I was just cleaning out some old files on my computer at work and I came across this one about inner peace that I received last year. I'm sure it made it's way around the internet but can't resist sharing it here....

----------------

DR PHIL'S GUIDE TO INNER PEACE

I am passing this on to you because it definitely worked for me and we all could use more calm in our lives. By following the simple advice I heard on a Dr. Phil show, I have finally found inner peace.

Dr. Phil proclaimed the way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you have started. So I looked around my house to see things I started and hadn't finished; and, before leaving the house this morning I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of White Zinfandel, a bottle of Baileys, a bottle of Kahlua, a package of Oreos, the remainder of both Prozac and Valium prescriptions, the rest of the Cheesecake, some Saltines and a box of Chocolates.

You have no idea how freaking good I feel.

---------------

Okay, so I haven't been quite that bad -- I haven't had any prescription drugs and I only had two alcoholic drinks last Friday. I have been heavy on the popcorn and light on the salad (terrible TOM cravings). :devil: I'm looking forward to a great new week! I hope all of you are too! :cheer:

kimberlydrn
03-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Sherrie- I love that....sounds like me, lol. I've done well with my exercise, but I'm totally slacking on my eating. I went to an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast after work this morning. I'm such a bad girl. The exercise is saving me though. At least I'm maintaining with the workouts. I need to try the 5 day diet again on Monday. I can do it this time. I would really like to wear that bathing suit this summer and if I don't get serious, it's probably not going to happen. I'm so close. If I could just lose 10 more pounds, I would probably wear one. I need to just make my mind up. I could use some motivation. Hope all of you are having a great weekend.

Abstract927
03-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Kim - great job keeping up with the exercise. Have you seen 'Supersize Me"? The documentary about the guy who eats nothing but McDonald's for a month and has serious health concerns at the end of it in terms of weight gain, blood chemistry and stuff. At least I think that's right -- I've heard all about it from friends but I haven't actually seen it yet myself. Anyway, a guy from Edmonton, Alberta decided he would eat the same diet as the documentary film maker for a month :mcd: -- but he would exercise 5-6 hours a day (who has the time) :tread: Anyway...his results are a testament to the power of exercise. He lost something like 17 pounds, lowered his cholesterol and triglicerides. Raised his good cholesterol. And reduced his body fat composition. Don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure his menu was pretty nutritionally void and clearly the fat content was high (particularly the saturated kind) but the exercise seems to have saved him at least in the short term.

Keep it up girlfriend - you'll be in that bathing suit before you know it. You've worked so hard. Ten pounds or no, I'd say live what you got and put on that darn bathing suit. You look fabulous! :cp:

kimberlydrn
03-06-2005, 02:24 AM
I just love you Sherrie.... you're such a sweetheart. I think I will. My friends always say that I'm too hard on myself. Life is too short. I have seen supersize me, and it is a real eye-opener. I hadn't heard about the exercise guy though. That's some very good info. I love to eat so much, that I just need to keep up with the workouts ....maybe even step them up a little to start losing again. I'd rather eat what I want and just exercise more.

Loren DeLynn
03-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Hello there! :wave:

After reading some of the posts you all have posted, Thanks Sherri for thinking about me from time to time!

Well, many of you mentioned you had fallen off the wagon & then got hit by the truck...In my case not only did I fall of the wagon but then there was this Mac Truck that ran me over...backed up (over me), ran over me again & repeated this vicious cycle for almost a month! I have all but quit exercising (maybe working out once a week), & binging like I hadn't eaten in weeks! All because I am weak when it comes to handling stressful situations in my personal life. I have been in a depressed state of mind & it has caused me to inflict harmful habits back into my life.

As my 38th birthday approaches (tuesday),the realization that my goals will not be reached if I continue on this path, has set in. As Dr. Phil would ask, "How's that working for you?" keeps popping in my mind. My depression/anger I'm feeling has hurt no one but myself & is NOT working for me at all! But now...I'm hear to declare I'm back on the wagon & holding on for dear life!

My DH & I joined a cabbage ball league & our first game was Friday night. We had a blast! We have 3 team-mates that are in their early 20's...then there's me...and the other 10 players are all between 45-56! It was so funny! The team we played against were all in their 20's and have played in this league for 3 years. They beat us 6-0. But I hadn't laughed so hard in a long time. The other team was so serious, but we were playing just for the fun of it! I asked my DH if he wanted to play because I thought it would be a good way to get in some more excercise & boy was I right! we are so sore today, but it's a good soreness (if you know what I mean).

Well, it's sunday; and time to sit down & plan my meals for the week (hadn't done that in a while either). Thanks for putting up with me & I look forward to hearing from you all soon. Oh...to all who have joined this forum since I went MIA...welcome! :grouphug:
I look forward to getting to know you all!

Loren

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/purpvinebar/sliderbug/lb/150/125/138/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Abstract927
03-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Welcome back Loren :cp: Hey! I know that mac truck! It has had its way with me more than a couple of times. :stars: What is important is that you've picked yourself up and are, as Dr. Phil would say, a willing spirit. That mac truck will likely be back but just keep getting up. And next time it hits you get out of the way before it backs up over you again. We're here to support you and to share in your journey. Oh, and happy, happy birthday. I've got a few weeks of experience and from what I can tell - 38's not too bad!

Kim, I just have to ask - forgive me if I missed this somewhere early in the postings -- are you doing resitance/strength training or just focusing on cardio? And seriously - celebrate your success and get into that suit!

I did a spell on the treadmill this morning and planned a bowflex workout this afternoon when disaster struck. Now forgive me cause I just need to vent a little. My dh has been renovating our basement into my new studio -- in fact it would have been ready to move into it by mid-week. Everything was fine when he worked down there this morning - he came up for lunch - and by the time he went back down after lunch - FLOOD!!!!! We've never had one lick of trouble in the twelve years we've lived in this home. Now new walls, insulation, flooring -- completely destroyed.

We've been renovating the whole house so we have a ton of stuff down there - expensive tiles, laminate flooring, wood for projects, all our tools, and the storage of all the usual: Christmas decorations, luggage, camping gear etc. Now my exercise room is jam packed with everything that we salvaged. So I won't be moving into my studio anytime soon and I have a couple of deadlines approaching. My old (too small) studio has been packed up for the move downstairs so I can't find anything. And to make matters worse, I can't (and won't for a long time by the look of things) access a single piece of equipment in my exercise room. We haven't been able to figure out what the cause of the water is yet but I'm hoping there's nothing to serious to fix. Can you believe that?!? One minute you're sailing along and then whamo! Ain't life always like that? Crazy!

I have to say that this week is NOT starting off in grand fashion! Is there a funky alignment in the planets that I don't know about? As the french say, C'est la vive -- such is life......it could always be worse. On that scale, this isn't that bad. ....still makes me sad though :stress:

kimberlydrn
03-07-2005, 11:45 AM
LAUREN!!!!!We have missed you!!!! Are you going to count points again? I kindof still do that, but mainly I'm logging my food and activities at Fitday.com. I think I like that better.

Sherry-I'm so sorry to hear about your flooding issues. That's aweful. I know that would have to be so stressful. You'll be in my prayers. I usually do strength training/weights on Tues. and Thurs. I do cardio for 60-90 minutes Mon-Fri. Most of the time I do WATP 3 mile on Sat. or Sun.(but didn't this weekend).

I'm pretty exhausted. I had such a busy weekend at work and just got home. I'm going to try to get some sleep before it's time to pick up my son from school. Have a great day!

rtardif
03-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Good morning everyone! :coffee: My dh and I made a mad dash to Montana Friday night and came back Saturday night. Was so exhausted when we got back, I went to bed at 8:30PM and, except for getting up three times to go to the bathroom, slept through until 11:00AM the next morning. 15 hours - what a slug! Then we had to head to Washington on Sunday for my niece's birthday. So, I didn't have time to check in this weekend. My diet and exercise suffered tremendously. My food intake on Sunday was two slices of toast with natural fruit jam, some chips, salsa, and cheese dip, a very small slice of birthday cake, and a 12" Subway sandwich. I suppose it could have been much worse, but still not conducive to losing weight. Plus riding around in the truck most of the weekend didn't help either. But I'm back at it today. :^:

Loren: Nice to meet you. And happy birthday tomorrow. I'm 37, too, and will be 38 in October. I think it's a good age, although I hate being called "maam" by the carry outs at the grocery store.

Sherrie: I am so sorry to hear about your flooding problems. Did you find out what caused it? Since my dh and I are still in the planning stages for our house, I'm going to make sure we have a drain in the floor of the basement. Will your insurance cover the damage? What a mess! I'll be praying for you, too. And I know this is a stretch, but think of the calories that you'll burn cleaning up the mess. OMG, I just can't imagine it. Again, I'm so sorry. And I loved the Dr. Phil item you posted. It reminds me of the package of Oreos that I ate, entirely, on New Years Eve because I didn't want them around the house after the first of the year. I definitely completed that project!

Take care everyone, and have a great day!
Robin

Loren DeLynn
03-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Good Morning Ladies,

Hea there Sherrie...Happy (be-lated) Birthday! I hope it was a good day for you on your day.
I hate to hear about your flooding issue :?: ...that really bites the big one!

Hello Kim...sounds like you're still pumped with the excercise thing! ;) ...wish I could get as excited as you are about it.

So far I've had a smoothie for brunch & went to the fitness club where I tried (for the first time) that elliptical thing...THAT HURT!!! :eek: I was only on that ride for 5 minutes & when I got off, my legs felt like they were cooked spaghetti noodles :dizzy:. So I got on the treadmill & walked at a brisk pace for 2.5 miles. I'm gonna go back this evening with my DH to do my strength training & ride that elliptical thing for another 5 mins! :devil: I'm feeling like that machine has it in for me & I just may decide to conquer it! LOL :lol:

Yes Kim I am back to counting points. My mother is trying (too hard if you ask me) to get me to try Atkins. I've been doing WW for so long, it's all I know (except for binging...I know that all too well). Atkings goes totally against WW...besides, I have 2 boys I still feed; their dad died at age 41 because of a heart attack...they were both diagnosed with high triglicerides several years ago...so for thier sake, I feel like low fat is best. I will definatly check into Fitday.com though...can't hurt! :^:

I finally ordered the Winsor Pilates DVDs...can't wait till they come in!

Well ladies...I'm gonna sign off for now...Chat at ya'll later! Good Luck Sherrie...I'll be praying for you & your home.

Loren

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/purpvinebar/sliderbug/lb/150/125/138/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

krazykellyontario
03-07-2005, 02:50 PM
First I want to say...welcome back to Loren! As Oprah said......no more excuses. It's time we put ourselves first. Great to have you back on board.

Robin--Sheesh....you've had a busy weekend. You didn't do all that bad for your eating. It could of been alot worse. Thank God it's a new day and a new week for us.

Sherry--I'm sorry to hear about your flooding basement. That really sucks. We've only lived in this house for 2 yrs and the first year we never had any problems with our basement leaking/flooding. But this winter...when we had a warm spell and some rain for a few days, our basement was leaking/flooding. Thank goodness that I don't have anything of real value down there. It was just a pain in the a** bailing it out.

Kim--You are doing great with exercise! I wish I was that loyal to it! Hope you are getting some much needed rest from having a busy weekend.

Loren--Please tell me....what is a cabbage ball team? LOL I found the eliptical trainer gave me a really good workout. At first..I could only go on if for so long. Then I'd push myself to go for a few minutes longer each time I got on it.

Well nothing new with me. I totally fell of the wagon this past weekend. Drank and ate myself into oblivion(sp). I got on the scales this morning thinking that I'm going to pay for it now. But, lo and be hold, I didn't gain anything. Nor did I lose anything. So I'd better smarten up this week or else I'm liable to have a gain next week!

Well, I'm off to check out some other threads. I'll chat with you all later.

mama2a&c
03-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi Ladies! :wave: I'm back! Barely! I have survived the move. We are in the new house and are about 75% done with the packing. There are boxes everywhere! In the new house we have a workout room....it will be so cool once I can find it! :o I just need to get it set up the way I want it. I'm hoping with a room dedicated to exercise I will be really motivated.

Since the packing and moving began I have not exercised one little bit and have eatten almost nothing but fast food. :burger: I feel terrible! Eating like this makes you just feel like warm dog poop! I finally went to the store and stocked up on the good stuff so today is the day! I probably won't exercise until tomorrow or the next day but I will exercise this week. :strong: That is a promise to me!

Keep up the good work Ladies! When you fall off the wagon get right back on! Keep drinking that water too!

Lisa

rtardif
03-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Hello again everyone. I am really dragging today. I'm working okay, and I went for my first walk this morning. But I sure feel like I could use some more sleep. I'm going to go for another walk in a few minutes, and then again on my afternoon break. My walks at work are about a mile up and down hills, and I do them in 15 minutes, so I'm walking at a good pace. At least my heart rate does go up. I won't be able to do my two mile walk tonight since my dh and I are meeting with a potential general contractor for our new house. I'm very excited, but I was making a list this weekend of everything we need to do, and it was very overwhelming. It's going to take every bit of will power I can muster to avoid stress eating during all of this. And like Lisa, I expect there will be a LOT of fast food eaten. I just hope I can burn enough calories to keep the weight off.

Loren: I agree with you about the Atkins diet. I prefer to watch my fat and processed sugar intake. I refuse to follow the diet of a person who dies of a heart attack. Meat and cheese are not low fat. And while people may lose weight temporarily with this diet, they're going to either regain it later, or they're going to suffer other health problems. A balanced, low fat, low processed food diet is the way to go for long-term results. I think that's also what WW is based on.

Sherrie: You mentioned that you have a bowflex. Do you like it? And do you think it is worth the price? My dh and I had a big weight set before we moved to Idaho last year. But we didn't want to move it because it was so big and bulky, not to mention heavy. We are considering the bowflex system because it is lighter and takes up a lot less space. But they're kind of spendy. And we would want to get most of the attachments. So, what is your true opinion of it?

Have a great day everyone.
Robin

Abstract927
03-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Everyone! It's great to see so many of you back!

Robin: I am so impressed that you are able to fit walking into so much of your day. Planning that new home sounds really exciting. I love my bowflex but as you mentioned the downside is the price. I used to lift free weights regularly, then purchased a home universal with weight plates a zillion years ago. I loved that too until I developed fibromyalgia in my early twenties. I had to give up weight training for a lot of years -- I'm just getting back at it the past year. The things I love about the bowflex are the variety of exercises you can do (including cardio rowing on a number of models), the lighter weight of the machine, the fact that I can fold up the bench if I need to get it out of the way, the ease and speed of moving between exercises, the quick setup time for each exercise or to change the weight, how smooth the movement is - no jarring, no jerking, no having to get a heavy weight into position (that's big - it is much easier on my joints than when you have to support the weight of plates as you get into position to do an exercise). The resistance you feel with the power rod technology is different than what you're used to with plates and 100 pounds on the bowflex doesn't feel the same as when you are using free weights. That being said - you definitely get results with bowflex because you are having to use a lot of stabilizer muscles - instead of bench pressing with a bar you are bench pressing with both arms independently using cables - you are much more engaged than when you have the bar to stabilize you. All that being said, there are some drawbacks....all models are not created equal so you really should try the model you are looking at if possible before you buy to determine if it will meet your needs. I prefer working my hamstrings lying face down as opposed to standing hamstring curls - one at a time. The models that do this have benches that are adjustable to accommodate that. Not all of the benches adjust the same way and some feel more stable than others. Does it do anything other home gyms won't? You can get a good workout on all of them and other ones are a lot less expensive. As I said, some bowflex models allow for cardio rowing and the power rods are guaranteed for life but it is still a lot of money. I haven't been disappointed in mine at all. I've heard from others who opted for a Weider crossbow because it was half the money (and they have that fancy smancy platinum one that makes all of the setups and adjustments for you) feedback I found online from owners wasn't all that positive though so I opted for bowflex. I hope that helps. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can.

Abstract927
03-08-2005, 12:05 AM
My last post was getting long so I'll continue here if you don't mind....

Lisa - welcome back. Glad to hear you are getting settled. An exercise room in your home is a wonderful thing. Enjoy it.

Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. My new studio is completely gone now. We spent Sunday evening and all day today tearing it back down. Sigh. We had a lot of rain in the fall which completely saturated the ground. Then winter and snow, and freezing rain, and snow. And now the big thaw. The ground can't absorb any more water and the weeping tile around the house is completely overwhelmed so the water accumulated in one of the window wells and came through the bottom of the window. So the good news is that nothing structural is wrong with our home. The bad news is that we are continually bailing the window well out because it keeps filling up from the bottom. The other bad news is that insurance won't cover any of the damage "because the water came in from outside". What is up with that? My dh is now into his busy time at work so our renovation time for this year is pretty much up. We'll finish getting everything out of the basement and dry it out then I'm afraid it'll have to wait until next winter to get re-built. Unfortunately I already packed up my old studio so I'll have to go undo all of that. It looks like I'm going to be in a cramped space for a while longer. But it could have been worse. It could have been a week later after I was all moved in and I could have lost a bunch of paintings. It just makes me sad -- all the work my dh put into it the sweet man.

Loren - have a happy day.

Kelly - climb back on that wagon. Half the time I feel like it's dragging me but I'm not letting go...

Kim - thank you for your kind words.

Loren - too funny! that eliptical comment.

Have a fantastic tomorrow!

AthenaGetsFit
03-08-2005, 01:12 AM
I posted this over in the Newbie thread, but I think I also fit in here.

Hey there.

I'm new to the boards, although I've poked around here and there.

I'm Athena, and I live just north of San Diego, along the coast. I'm 39 years old, and will turn 40 this December. I'm married and a SAHM to two sons, age 12 and 2.

Back in 2000, I lost a whole bunch of weight the old-fashioned way with strength training, cardio, and clean eating (lean protein, complex carbs & healthy fats). I achieved my goal weight of 110 lbs. and eventually settled around 115 lbs. The summer of 2001 I was right at 115 lbs.,, 9/11 happened (lots of comfort eating) and then I got pregnant with my second son weighing 130 lbs. I gained 40 lbs. during the pregnancy and came home weighing 159 lbs. In the 2.5 years since then I've piddled around and got my weight down to 144 lbs. for one day, but most recently (a week ago!) I pegged the scale at 161 lbs.

Last week I began doing what I know will work to rid my body of this excess weight. My goal is 112 lbs., with a range of 112 - 116 lbs. for maintenance. I'm down four pounds so far.

I look forward to being a part of this community here.

krazykellyontario
03-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Good morning ladies. I just got in from my 50 min walk in the freezing cold. I was going to come home, change and go and run my errands but I think I'm going to unthaw now first. At least the sun is shining.
I did terrible with my eating last night. Hubby came home from work, depressed and miserable. Job related...and I'm not going to go into details, but he was pretty much told if he can't make the numbers by then end of this month, he's out of a job. So that made me miserable and stressed and all I did was snoop through the kitchen for things to eat. So this morning...I said...the **** with it. We'll deal with that bridge when it comes and I can't control what happens, but I can control what I put in my mouth. (knocking on wood) So far so good today.

Athena--Welcome to our thread. Good luck with your weight loss journey. Post here often and you can talk about everything and anything. Ups, downs, highs, lows, family matters, recipes, food finds etc.

Lisa--Welcome back! Good luck with your unpacking! I don't know what's worse...packing or unpacking! Once you get fairly settled...get back in the game woman! We're here for ya!

Robin--We get to building your house and you need to eat out...just remember to make good food choice. Wendys has all kinds of salads and now they have the fruit cup to boot! Just watch the dressings.

Sherrie--I guess you should count your blessings...you're right, it could of been alot worse than what it was.

Well, I think I'm thawed out now. Time to go run my errands before it's time for lunch.
I'll check back in here later.

Kelly

kimberlydrn
03-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Hello ladies! I hope you are all having a great day so far. I did O.K. with my eating and workouts yesterday and today. I ended up eating app. 1800 calories yesterday and burned about 400. Today, I'm planning on eating 1400 and I burned about 600. I was at the gym for almost 2 hours. I did 20 minutes on the bike, 50 minutes on the treadmill (ran 1.5 miles again, yeah!), 20 minutes on the stairclimber, then weights.

Lisa-Congratulations on getting moved in. :cb: I would be so excited to have my own exercise room. That will be great.

Loren- Sorry for spelling your name wrong on the last thread I posted. Stick with that elliptical. It's a great workout. I started out doing 5 minutes, then worked up to 70 minutes. If you can stick it out for 10 minutes, it starts getting easier. I guess it's when the endorphins kick in. I tried Atkins, and I was miserable on it. I'm a carboholic though. It also made me weak and it made my vision blurry. My body was telling me that is wasn't good for me. By the way-
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! :gift: :balloons: :hb:

Kelly-That's awesome that you were able to maintain over the weekend. :)

Robin-You are doing so good with the walking girl. :dancer: Keep it up!

Sherry-That stinks about the insurance. :sorry: I hope things get better for ya.

Athena-Welcome!!!It's great to meet you. :wave: If you don't mind my asking, which plan are you following this time?

AthenaGetsFit
03-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Athena-Welcome!!!It's great to meet you. :wave: If you don't mind my asking, which plan are you following this time?

Hello!

I'm doing what I did before because, you know, it worked!

I'm doing intense strength training 3x a week, and heart-thumping, sweat-inducing cardio at least 6x a week. For food, I'm sticking between 1200-1500 calories, with the breakdown roughly 40-45% complex carbs, 35-40% lean protein, & 20-25% healthy fats, with four or five meals spread out through the day, every 2.5 to 3 hours, with no meal later than 7:30 p.m. I'm drinking 3-4 liters of water a day.

Nothing glamorous, but it's what I did before and it worked well and relatively fast as long as I stuck to my plan (which I did). In the years since I had my second son, I really struggled to get back to the place in my head where I was ready to work this hard. I kept hemming and hawing, and just got fatter. I had a slap upside my head about 10 days ago, and I'm now on day nine of committed action.

I have an weblog detailing all this here (http://fitness.lexxicon.net).

It feels good to be back in the head space where I know it will work for me. I just wasn't there until now.

mama2a&c
03-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Welcome Athena! I'm sure you will find a good fit with this group! I also have 2 kids the same age as yours. I know how intense that can be! Whew!

Sherrie, I'm so sorry about your studio. I know you were really ready for it to be done. Keep the faith that something good will come from all this mess.

Well, I started the day off right with turkey bacon and eggs. I'm drinking my water too! My daughter is napping so it would be a great time to do a little treadmilling but I'm unpacking the office right now. Maybe I'll get a chance to hop it later today.

Ladies, you are all doing great. Each day is a new one!

Lisa

rtardif
03-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I hope everyone is doing well this morning. :) I'm thinking work is getting entirely in the way of my having fun, not to mention losing weight. And I'm pretty sure I was meant to be independently wealthy, but higher powers obviously don't feel the same way.

I checked in yesterday, but didn't have time to post anything. I was able to do my walks, and even got in some crunches and pushups. But it was a hard day diet wise. :mad: I had bought some chocolate Easter bunnies for my niece and nephew, but they melted in my car. When I picked them up, I got chocolate on my hand. Of course the first thing I did was lick it off. It wasn't anything but just a few spots. But it left me craving chocolate the rest of the day. Then I went into Wal Mart to get them a couple of other little items to ship off to them. (They're in TX.) I went down the Easter aisle and thought I was going to have a stroke fighting the urge to grab one of each of Easter candy and just binge. I was strong and didn't eat any thing, but it was a hard battle. The only thing that kept me going was that I have a very small box of Robin's eggs Easter candy that I can eat if I have lost weight on my next weighin this next Monday. It's sort of a tradition for me. For as long as I can remember, I've eaten Robin's eggs at Easter, except in the past I ate a really large box, and probably more than one. I'm allowing myself to have that one treat if I can stick with my good eating and lose weight. I don't want to deprive myself entirely, but I have to be good for it. Discipline sucks sometimes!

Welcome Athena. :wave: This forum has been really a great help for me. I'm sure it will be for you as well. I've been here less than a month, but the support is wonderful. And it helps to post regularly. For me anyway, it sort of helps to keep me accountable. Mostly, though, it helps to know that I'm not going through this alone. And no one here is going to judge you for falling off the wagon. We've all fallen off and been run over by it several times.

Sherrie: I'm sorry to hear that your insurance isn't going to help with the flooding. Insurance companies can be really frustrating. We can pay into them for years, but try to make a claim, and they don't seem to know who you are. Was any of your artwork damaged? I sure hope not.

Also, thanks a lot for the info on the bowflex. I shared it with one of my coworkers. I like the idea of being able to change exercises easily and to move it when necessary. And I'm thinking the expense is just an investment in my health and future. And my husband's.

Loren: You'll have to let me know how it goes with the eliptical. I've tried one only once, but like you could only stick with it for about five minutes. It made me so tired. I hope it gets easier.

Kim: You are doing so well. Keep it up! :cp: :cb:

Everyone else, have a great day and drink lots of water. I'll check back later.
Robin

kimberlydrn
03-10-2005, 04:19 AM
I'm up late, I know, but I'm trying to readjust back to nightshift schedule. I work the next 2 nights. I'm happy to report that I've done very well today, even with my eating. I did 90 minutes of cardio and ate 1130 calories today. I usually eat 1200-1800, but I ate too much yesterday. Tomorrow, I'll do weight training and a step aerobics class before work. I'm feeling pretty motivated again. Summer is getting closer and closer and I'd really like to be down to 140 by June. I can do it.

Athena- I'm so glad you joined us. It sounds like you're very motivated, and it helped me to read some of your weblog.

Robin-You go girl, resisting the chocolate! WooHoo!!!

rtardif
03-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Hello. Where did everybody go?

I didn't go for a walk this evening, but I did take my two walks during work. I think they're about a mile each, up and down hills, so that's no too bad. I just don't feel like going tonight. I didn't eat the best either. My mother-in-law took me to lunch at Pizza Hut. I had a salad and a mini pizza, but I ate only 3/4 of the pizza. I guess I ate okay otherwise, but I just feel like a slug today. My next weighin is on Monday. I'm pretty sure I've lost some weight, but I sure hope it's more than just one pound. I weigh only every two weeks. I'm tired of looking at the bar on my signature. I need to get my armadillo moving.

Have a great evening/night ladies. Until, tomorrow...
Robin

kimberlydrn
03-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I just got home from work. I'm in weight loss mode again. I had 1220 calories yesterday and did 80 minutes of cardio and weights, and I did 70 minutes of cardio when I got off of work this morning. We're having a potluck at work tonight, so I'm a little worried about that. I can have the best of intentions and get up there and end up pigging out before the night's over with. It's such a high stress environment. I just try to remind myself that nothing tastes as good as thin feels. Wish me luck.

rtardif
03-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi Kim. I'm very sorry. :( I didn't mean to exclude you when I asked where everybody is. I guess you and I are the only ones left. Good luck with the pot luck tonight. I have a hard time at those. There are usually so many dishes that I haven't tried, and so I want a little bit of each. And then I want to go back and get more of the ones I really like because I took only a little bit the first time. By the end of the dinner, I've eaten like 4000 calories. :mad: :) But you are doing really well with the workouts. I wouldn't so much about the calories. You're boosting your metabolism with the exercise.

Enjoy the night shift. Do you work rotating shift, or just occasionally have to do nights? Have a great day/night, anyway.
Robin

Loren DeLynn
03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Hello Ladies! :wave:

No... I didn't go MIA again...just been busy getting back on track! I've been reading all of your posts but hadn't had time to post myself.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! It was a good day!

Welcome Athena! :grouphug: You sound "pumped"! You also seem to have a lot to bring to the table...will look forward to "picking your brain"!

Robin...I know exactly what you mean about people calling us maam...My DH & I like to hang out with our neighbors accross the street... & when their son comes by, he says maam to me all the time. I finally asked him... if we had met when I was 10 & you were 6, would you have called me maam then? I think they all got the point! lol :devil:

Lisa...You are soooo lucky to have your own exercise room! I'm jealous!!! ;)
My DH & I were just at Sears the other night looking at all the exercise equipment. We are now going to "Anytime Fitness" & plan on only doing that for 1 year. After that, we hope to have space in our home to have a room for exercise stuff! We have 4 boys...2 have already flown the nest; one graduates in May & is ready to try his wings :angel: !! We will finally have a large room we can turn into an office/workout room!!

Kelly...we have another cabbage ball game tonight! It's just like softball. The ball is bigger, softer, & doesn't go as far when hit. There is no need for gloves & the guys have to hit opposite of how they would normally hit. Batting order is boy-girl or girl-boy & same is true for field positions. It's a lot of fun!

Well, it was bound to happen...I gained 2 pounds :( . I can't say I'm surprised though...a month with little to no exercise...I'm lucky that was all I gained! :o . I'm getting back on track though...that's a promise! :yes:
Worked out this morning doing strength training & 6 whole minutes on the elliptical monster :flame: . I will get some additional exercise playing ball tonight! I did okay with my eating today...I missed breakfast except for :coffee: ! Had a grilled chicken ceasar salad from McDonalds - have already had over 40 oz. of water! :cp:. For dinner, my DH & I will be eating boiled crawfish with our team mates!

You probably won't hear from me again till Sunday...I have a field trip tomorrow...it's expected to last at least 12 hours! :^: but the money is good!

What's up Sherrie? How are you holding up with the flooding problem?
Hang in there girl... :balloons: we're here when you need us! I'm praying for you.

Good luck ladies...we'll chat again soon,
Loren

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/purpvinebar/sliderbug/lb/150/125/140/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

AthenaGetsFit
03-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the great welcome. I've been peeking in and out of this site and it's been a bit confusing to me because there are so many niche groups. Please give me a little while to get situated.

My week is going very well. I had to revise my workout schedule for the week to accomodate a rest day because my body was screaming at me to, well, rest. I've been on target with the revised workout schedule and my food, save a stray Cheeto or 10. Heh.

I'm feeling really good!

I hope the weekend is going well for everyone else.

Abstract927
03-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Hello Everyone! I'm not ignoring you -- just lots going on right now. Will check back when I have more time to read the posts and to post myself once my feet are flat on the ground. Thanks for thinking about me Loren.

kimberlydrn
03-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, as I'm sure most of you have figured out by now, I can be doing so well with diet and exercise during the week, and then the weekend comes and I blow it. It's been that way for almost 2 months. Well, I'm actually doing good this weekend. I've stayed barely under 2000 calories each day so far, but I can at least maintain on that. I really do have my mind made up. If I can keep my calories below 2000 on the weekend and between 1200-1300 during the week, the weight's going to come off. :snail: Lookout summer, here I come!

Robin- I always work the nightshift on Thurs, Fri, and Sun 7p-7a. On the next schedule I might schedule a few Thurs off though. I'm getting pretty burned out right now. We have so many sick people in the ICU right now, way sicker than usual. It keeps me on my toes though. At least I'm burning lots of calories. :p

Loren-Did you have a good birthday? Cabbage ball sounds like a lot of fun. I wish we had something like that around here. Don't worry about the 2 pounds. That's not bad at all. My weight varies by 2 pounds from the time I get up, until the time I go to bed. :spin:

Sherry-Hang in there girl. I'm praying for you also. :angel: :grouphug: :goodvibes

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend. If I can just make it through tonight, I'll be off for 3 days. Yeah! :cp:

rtardif
03-13-2005, 09:22 PM
I love the weekend, but they sure don't last long enough. My dh, dog, and I went for a nice long hike this morning, about 10AM. I'm not a morning person, to is as early as I will do a hike. We hiked on an old logging road, and we saw lots of turkey, elk, muledeer, and whitetail tracks. But all we saw animal wise were two ducks and I think a whitetail deer. But it was sunny, and about 50 degrees. And absolutely beautiful. I'm glad we did it this morning, because now I'm chained to the washer and dryer for the rest of the day.

My bi-weekly weighin is tomorrow. If I've lost weight, I get to eat my Robin's eggs Easter candy. I'm so excited. I'll let you know how it goes. I was able to get into one of my practice pants yesterday, although they were a little snug in the waist. I was able to zip and button them while standing.

Loren: Cabbage ball sounds like a blast! I love softball and baseball. And don't worry about the 2 pounds. I agree with Kim. My weight can fluctuate by a few pounds in a single day. Maybe you just weighed at the wrong time of day. Did you enjoy the crawfish? Do you like crawfish e'toufe(sp)? That stuff will melt the fat right out of you.

I hope your basement is drying out, Sherrie. And that nothing was damaged beyond repair. I know the sheetrock will have to be replaced, probably, but I hope nothing else does. Take care. We're here when you need us.

Take care everyone! Have a great week!
Robin

jelynn
03-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi there- are you guys open to new members?? I used to be a regular here, but my group has disbanded and I can't tell tell where I fit! "Fit by 40" has been in my head for awhile- how close are you all to 40? I am 35- 36 in June. Gives me plenty of time right?? lol

kimberlydrn
03-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Well, the weekends over, thank goodness. Now, I can enjoy my 3 days off. I stayed under 2000 calories yesterday also. I'm back to 1200-1300 today. I worked out for 1 hour after work. I bet I burned a bunch of calories at work last night. I was in charge of 2 ICU's and we were moving patients out all night to get more in from the ER. It was crazy!

Emily- Jump right in! We love new members. I think we are all in our 30's, from 33-39. Post often.

rtardif
03-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Welcome Emily! You're in the right spot. I'm 38, so I have about a year and a half before I hit the big 40. And I don't care if it takes me that long, I'm going to lose this weight. Please tell us a bit about yourself. And do post often. I have found it really helps to stick with my plan to "talk" with the other people here who are going through the same thing.

Kim: You should be proud of yourself. I can't imagine going to work out for an hour after being on your feet all day in an ICU. I'm getting varicose veins just thinking about it.

My weigh-in was this morning, and I've lost 3 pounds. That's a pound a half a week, which is fine with me. I updated my bar at the bottom. And I decided that since my highest weight last year was 204 at the doctor's office, I'm going to use that on my status bar. That makes ten lbs I've lost since the end of last summer. I'm now working harder on getting it off, so hopefully it won't take as long to lose the next 10. But I'm not giving up if it does.

Take care all.
Robin

mama2a&c
03-15-2005, 10:51 AM
HI Ladies! I'm still hanging around in between unpacking boxes. We are actually finished with unpacking! Its only been 3 weeks from start to finish. Not bad huh?!

I have yet to step on a scale. I'm scared. My water intake has dropped off. It is a new house with new carpet so there is no drinking or eating anywhere but in the dining room or kitchen. Makes it hard to get that water in. I have been get some exercising in. It feels great. We have a TV set up in the workout room. I didn't think I would like it but it really does make the time go by faster. When I am back in the game for another week then I'll get on the scale and see what the damage is.

You are all doing great. Bad days and good days you are still inspiration to us. Keep working!

Welcome Emily. I'm sure you will find this to be your new home. I'm 35 (almost 36) and have two kids (11 & 2). You will find something in common with someone around here!

Oh....I really need to get going on this weight loss thing. I'm getting a job! The company I used to work for before I had my little one is looking for someone. I contacted my old boss and he is going to work on it for me! Yeah! It will be great for my self esteem. Problem....I haven't been really social since having this baby. I've gained ALOT of weight. More motivation for me!

rtardif
03-15-2005, 05:25 PM
:ink: :ink: So much for the 3lbs I lost. :mad: I think I've just gained them all back. :nono: That proverbial wagon must have hit a huge pothole and threw me off. And then it backed up to see what it hit, and ran me over. And then, to continue on its way, it ran me over again. :faint: :stars: I have eaten nothing today, but junk food, except for a banana. :cb: I was running late for work, so I ate a banana on the way to work. When I got to work, I was still hungery, so I got a bag of chocolate-chip cookies :cookie: :cookie: from the vending machine. Then for lunch, I ate several (6) Little Debbie snack cakes :cry: , with chocolate milk :cry::cry:. And because that obviously wasn't enough. I went to Taco Bell and got a Mexican pizza:cry::cry::cry:. They were all good, but it's going to take forever for me to burn all that off. :tread: :strong: I think I'm stressing about all the stuff I need to do before we start construction on our house. So, I decided to take tomorrow off from work and get as much of it completed as I can. Then I won't stress about it. Now I'm nauseated. :ink:

kimberlydrn
03-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Well ladies, it's been a good day. I did 90 minutes of cardio this morning. I actually ran 2 miles. That's the most I've ever run in 1 day. I'd run 1 lap, then walk 1 lap until I had went 4 miles. Then I did the bike for 25 minutes. I ate 1300 calories today, which I'm very pleased with, and I actually made healthy food choices and drank plenty of water.

Robin-don't worry about slipping up today. As you know, I've had my share of that. Just make sure you get back on track tomorrow. The most you could've really gained is 1 pound. Just don't get on the scale until your next weigh-in in 2 weeks, and by then you will have lost that 1 pound back + some. Tomorrow's a new day!

Lisa-glad you're getting settled in. Good luck with the job. We've missed you!

mama2a&c
03-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Robin-I think (I know) we all slip up. Some days are worse than others. Just get right back in the game and you will be fine. Isn't it incredible how much stress can effect what we eat?!

Kim-You are an exercising fiend! :strong: You give us all hope! I also try and run a lap, walk a lap. I don't get as fas as you but I try! :tread:

I did really well with eating yesterday. I had my green tea, turkey bacon and egg for breakfast. Snack was some almonds, 2 green olives and some thin turkey slices. Dinner was another story. Hubby wanted pizza. I ate one slice and a pizza roll. It could have been worse and it could have been better. I did get my exercising in and I still feel pretty good. My feet are a little sore but I've taken my meds this morning for pain so I'll wait a bit longer to start working out today.

Here is a question for you. I'll also post on another thread maybe over in the exercise section. I'm loosing inches in my butt and thighs. I can see it and feel it. Clothes fit different. I am not loosing in my belly. I work my abs but there is a layer of fat I can't get rid of. How do I do it? What am I doing wrong? If I'm loosing everywhere else why not in the belly? UGH!!!! :halfempty

Keep drinking Ladies!
Lisa

Abstract927
03-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Hello Everyone,

Lisa - first on, last off. Keep working, that tummy will go. When your body stores fat it seems to have an order. When you lose it that order is reversed. You are obviously doing something right and you are noticing some very significant changes. Keep it up!

Welcome to all the newcomers....and hello to the rest of you.

I have been hit and miss with the food department. And since the flood exercise has been non-existent. I still can't access my weight room. I haven't been idly sitting by though. I've been busy ripping a room apart, carrying wood and supplies up and down stairs, cleaning and organizing. That oughta count for something. The scale is stuck though.

Keep working everyone. I am proud of all of your efforts and you inspire me.

kimberlydrn
03-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Well, it's been a good one, so far. I did 60 minutes of cardio this morning, and I had oatmeal and grapes for breakfast. For a snack, I had almonds, a granola bar, and strawberry fat free yogurt. I'm planning on a salad for lunch and a boca burger on whole wheat with some pretzels and an apple for dinner. If I make it to the gym after church, I might have some popcorn for a snack tonight. At work, there is a few of us that just started another contest where we put in $2 each per week, and at the end of 12 weeks whoever loses the most gets the money. I won last time, and I'm going to try to win again. Last time, I won $146 and this time the pot will be $120. It's so much fun. We weigh in together every week, and it helps keep me motivated. I'm shooting for 22 pounds. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Lisa-sounds like you still had a low calorie day yesterday, even with the pizza. I was told by the girl that was training me that there is no way to actually do "spot reduction". She said that the best way to burn fat is cardio. She told me that if I kept up the cardio, eventually the fat around my midsection would come off. That's my trouble area also.

Sherry-it's good that you're maintaining. I'll take that over a gain any day. Sounds like your getting plenty of exercise without the exercise room.

Have a great day!!!

mama2a&c
03-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Hello to all!

Kim, what are you using to track your calories? Fitday.com? That is what I have used in the past. I haven't used it since we moved though. Guess I should! Thanks for listing what you have been eating. I'm always looking for more food ideas. Sometimes I get stuck in a rut!

Sherrie, since you are moving and grooving with the house problems just do what you can with food. It is hard to stay motivated when you are so stressed. The time for you to get back in the game will come soon enough!

I doubt I will be on the treadmill today. I have a phone meeting today so I'm guessing that will take up my free time during my daughters nap. I did do my Pilates today and since I haven't really done it since we moved it just about killed me. It was like I was back at day 1. I'll get back to doing it every day again. I don't want that pain again! I got my exercising in for yesterday though. Those ab balls are tougher than they look. I've only used it for about a week but it uses muscles I didn't even know were there!

Hope everyone is doing ok. Keep working....keep drinking....keep smiling!
Lisa

rtardif
03-17-2005, 03:10 PM
:) I'm not Irish, but I wish you a happy St. Patty's anyway. I'm getting back on track now. I tried to walk yesterday, but the weather was bad here. I did get in a little walking, though, and I guess some is better than none. Made the dog happy anyway.

I stayed home from work yesterday to finish up our floor plans for the house we're building. Now that that's done, I'm hoping I won't be feeling so overwhelmed. Plus, I've just been in a funk the last few days. Not sure why, but it will pass. I've just got to make myself walk, eat right, and drink water.

Sherrie: Carrying stuff up and down the stairs should definitely be burning some calories. And depending on how fast you go, it can be either or both cardio and strength training.

Kim: You're competition at work sounds very inspiring. You lose weight and get money. Plus I'm sure it helps to have others at work going through the same thing you are. Good luck. I hope you win. Just on the exercise alone, you deserve to win.

Lisa: My worst problem is my abs, too. It's partly genetic though. Everyone has their hard parts to lose. My cousin gains her weight in her backside, but her stomach always stays flat. But like the other's have said, if the stomach is your hardest part to lose, then it will probably be the last part to lose. I just try to do crunches so that at least the muscles underneath are in good shape. And if I ever win the lottery, I just may splurge on that tummy tuck.

I wish everyone a great day. And since fat melts in the heat, wouldn't it be great if we could just sit in a hot tub and melt the fat off us? Just a thought that occured to me while I was soaking in the tub last night.

Robin

mama2a&c
03-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Great recipes (http://www.aimeesadventures.com/) This is a website I found through reading another thread. I was looking for crockpot recipes and found the site. This woman lost a ton of weight. She has included all her recipes. She includes the ww points too. I don't do ww but someone may. I'm trying some of her yummy looking recipes this weekend.

Happy St. Patty's Day to you! :p

Robin, the cold weather will pass soon and the sun will shine again! I have a friend who is about the same weight as I am but we look totally different. She has tiny arms and shoulders and a bigger behind. I'm pretty plump all over. We wear different sizes too. All I know is she has a flat tummy. No one thinks she is pregnant! I'm sure the belly will go soon but I still hate it. And when you hit it rich make me an appt. for a tummy tuck too! :lol:

Lisa

kimberlydrn
03-18-2005, 12:09 AM
I've had another good day so far. I've still got to make it through work tonight. And I've lost 2 pounds, yeah! I'm back at 153. My planned calories for today are right under 1400. I did 90 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training. I went to another step aerobics class tonight and it was pretty challenging. I loved it though!

Lisa- I do use Fitday religiously. It helps me a lot. I haven't tried pilates yet. Does it burn many calories?

Robin-I would live in a hot tub if it melted away the fat, lol. Have a good one!

mama2a&c
03-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Kim, congrats on the 2 pounds! It always amazes me that 2 little pounds can feel sooooo good! I have no idea how many calories pilates burns. Sherry would know better than me. I do know it tones your muscles. It makes then longer and leaner looking. Since I have been doing it my butt/thigh area has really slimmed down. I'm sure my stomach is getting smaller too...I just cant see that part yet!

I got on the scale this morning and I'm where I was went I last weighed in. I'll take it! I was sure I had packed on some pounds with the move and all. I feel pretty good about it. I would like to break that 190 mark though. I guess I need to push harder on the treadmill.

Have a great day Ladies. The weekend is here so be careful with your food intake and get some exercise in!!!!

kimberlydrn
03-20-2005, 02:28 AM
Well, the weekend's halfway over and so far, so good. I didn't exercise, but I ate about 1600 calories today, which isn't enough to gain. Weekends are so hard for me. I just want to munch out the whole time. Tomorrow I still have 22 flex points left to use, then I'll get 35 more on Monday. My weigh-in at work is tomorrow night. Hopefully, I will still be 153 which will be a 5.5 pound weight loss for the first week of the competition. Our first weigh-in last Sunday was after we all finished pigging out, so it weighed me a little heavier than usual. Anyway, I hope I can keep my focus and motivation. I just have to keep thinking about that swimsuit that I'll be wearing in about 3 months.

kimberlydrn
03-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Where is everyone? Well, I weighed in at 153 yesterday which was great, but we had a potluck at work, and I ate about 3400 calories last night. I can't believe how much I ate. After work I went to the Trim Gym and did a step aerobics class and a body sculpting class. I'm going to my mom's today and I'm spending the night. She is like the best cook in the world too. This week is not starting out very good. I'll just have to keep up the exercise and try to get in my water. I probably won't be able to post again until tomorrow night or Wednesday. Have a good day!

mama2a&c
03-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Kim, just keep that swimsuit in focus and you will be fine! I didn't workout this weekend because we were running around the whole time. I figured I would workout longer today.....uhhh...nope!....I have a sore throat and feel like crap so I'm skipping another day. I'm taking my vitamins though so hopefully I'll feel good enough to do something tomorrow.

rtardif
03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
I had the house to myself this weekend. The first time in a long time. And it was nice. I rented three "chick flicks." If you get a chance to see Angel Eyes, it's pretty good. I took my dog Charlie for a long walk on Saturday morning. Watched TV in the afternoon. I was going to work in the yard, but it rained all afternoon. It's okay. We really need the rain. On Sunday, we went to take pictures of our property that we'll be building on. Charlie played in the creek. I went to check in here on Sunday afternoon and was on my computer about five minutes before the monitor went out. So I went and did something else. Tried the computer again last night, after checking all of the cables, and it worked. I'm thinking the cats must have loosened the wires. They like to sit on the warm monitor. But by time the computer was working again, my dh was back home. And I don't like him watching what I'm writing on here. Not that I have anything to hide from him, but I this is sort of my thing. He has "his things" that I don't get involved with. This is my only one.

I did okay on my eating this weekend. I wouldn't say that I ate really healthy, but calorie-wise, I did pretty good. I didn't get in as much exercise as I could have, but I needed some relaxation time.

Kim: Congratulations on the 153. Keep it up! And don't worry about the potluck. You do so well with your exercising, that you'll be fine.

Lisa: Getting past the 190 mark is my next mini goal. And congrats to you, too, for not gaining during the move. And I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Robin

mama2a&c
03-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi to all! I'mstill feeling a bit under the weather so I don't think I'll work out today. Its not a good idea to work out if you can only breathe thru your mouth! Still doing ok on food but I did cheat and have a bowl of Crunch Berries. They tasted good but I know I will be bloated later. I will always pay for cheating!

Robin, I can't even imagine what its like to have the house to yourself. I don't think I have been away from my 2 year old since she was born. I would soooooooo love to have a little quiet time. I'm not really into chick flicks but I did see the Notebook and cried like a little baby. Even my hubby liked it. I think everyone should see it. Is Angel Eyes the one with J.Lo in it? I think I have seen it.

Keep pushing it ladies! Drink that water!
Lisa

rtardif
03-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Lisa: I hope you're feeling better. Having a cold, stinks! And I love Crunch Berries. I used to always save them for last when I ate Captain Crunch. Then I'd eat all the berries at once. The good ol' days.

I don't always pick "chick flicks." I love all kinds of movies. I was just in the mood this time for something that I knew my husband wouldn't watch. I think it was more of principle thing, since I had the house to myself. Angel Eyes does have J. Lo in it. I don't care anything about her personal life, but I don't mind some of her movies.

My next weigh in is this Monday. My goal for that is to have lost another 3 lbs, but I don't think I'm going to be quite there. It depends on this weekend. It's been raining here the last few days, and so I haven't been able to get out and walk as much. I don't mind walking in light rain, but down pours are a different story. And we really need the rain.

Plus, my husband may be going over to Iraq for about 4 1/2 months. It's somewhat voluntary, but he works for the Army Corps of Engineers. He doesn't have to go, but they're strongly requesting volunteers. It would be great pay and experience. And he wouldn't be in a combat area, but it's still nerve wracking for me to think about it. The ultimate decision is up to him. I guess we'll see. In the mean time, I'm half nauseated from being nervous, and half craving sweet carbs from the stress. Plus we're building a house. This summer could get really interesting.

Anyway, take care all.
Robin

kimberlydrn
03-24-2005, 02:31 AM
Oh yes, ladies, I do miss Crunch Berries. I did eat some of my son's Lucky Charms today. I don't know why, I really don't like them that much. If I'm going to cheat, I should at least find something I really like, huh? Well, I'm back from my mom's and I put away some MAJOR calories. I had 3 full days of pigging out. I'm back on track today, though, even with the Lucky Charms. I had under 1500 calories and burned about 600 at the gym. I did 100 minutes of cardio, whew.

Lisa-I bet you burn plenty of calories chasing that 2 year old around. My sister was at my mom's and she has a 2 year old and twin babies. I don't envy her. She has her hands full. Those kids have sooo much energy. Hope you feel better soon.

Robin-Hope your having a nice relaxing time all to yourself. I have Wed. nights to myself. I take my son to his dad's after church. I usually read and surf the internet and check emails. Sometimes I get the munchies when I'm alone though (lucky charms, lol).

rtardif
03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight, because by then your body and your fat have gotten to be really good friends.

Did you ever notice: The Roman Numerals for forty (40) are " XL."

My mother-in-law sent me these quotes. I thought they were pretty funny. :lol:

Robin

kimberlydrn
03-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Love those Robin!! How's everyone doing today? I'm having a good one so far. I went to the gym and ran 1 mile and walked 1 mile. Then, I did 15 minutes on the stairclimber and 15 minutes on the elliptical. Then, did 12 minutes of weights. So far, I've eaten 5 prunes and a handful of almonds. I just recently found out how healthy prunes are. They have a lot of antioxidants (Vit A and E) and potassium and fiber and B vitamins. I've incorporated 5/day into my diet. I also eat a handful of almonds each day which have the good kind of fat, and they are very heart healthy. I've got to work 12 hours tonight so I better start getting ready.
Kim

kimberlydrn
03-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Well, I made it through 1 12 hour shift. When I got off I went to the Trim Gym and attended my first spin class. I loved it!!!! I bet that class burned 400+ calories in a 45 minute period. I was dripping with sweat by the time that thing was over. I'm going to try to start going twice/week. I'm also going to try to do step aerobics twice/week and 1 ab class each week. I'm really enjoying adding some variety to my workouts. I've got another 12 hour shift tonight so I better try to get some sleep. Hopefully I'll have time to check in tomorrow. Have a great day!

rtardif
03-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi Kim. What is a spin class? I agree with you, adding some variety makes it more interesting. Plus you don't use the same muscles every time. Have a great day/night at work.

Robin

kimberlydrn
03-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Well, I've only got 1 more 12 hour shift tonight, then I'll have 3 days off. I can't wait! It's been a busy weekend. I haven't worked out since Friday morning, so I'll be ready to hit the gym after work in the morning. I'll be going to a step aerobics class, then body sculpting.

Robin-Spin is a bicycling class that is supposed to burn lots of calories. There is a room of about 15 people on bicycles, and we increase/decrease resistance on the bike, and alternate standing and sitting on the bike to upbeat music. It's a great workout.

Hope everyone is having a blessed Easter!

mama2a&c
04-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Well, I'm posting to a dead thread but thats ok. I'm part of the reason it died! Between settling in the new house, sick kids, nasty computer problems, ect ect ect (the list could go on for days!) I just dropped off the board and did the same with my eating and exercise plan. Not good. I feel bad, mentally, emotionally, physically. I can really tell a difference. The past two days I have done pretty well with my eating. I would love to get back in the exercise room today too. How sad to have a room in my house for exercise and not use it! No promises but I'll try. I will also start this thread again! :D I know some of you have to be out there just lurking and waiting....here is your chance! Lets get back in the game! :goodvibes

Lisa

kimberlydrn
04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Lisa-glad you are back on track. Robin and I are now posting in the "Full time working stiffs 2" thread. The ladies there post more frequently and we love it there. Please join us. We've missed you!