Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 10:18 AM   #1  

Question Tres Leches Recipe

I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a low-fat recipe for Tres Leches Cake. That cake has some serious calories and fat and I was just wondering if I could tone down the recipe to be WW friendly. It would truly be appreciated. Have a great day!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #2  

Cool Tres Leches Cake

I found this:

Tres Leches Cake
From Cooking Light

Tres leches ("three milks"), a cake drenched in sweet, milky syrup and topped with meringue, has nearly overtaken flan as a favorite dessert in Latino restaurants. We lightened the traditional recipe by about 245 calories a serving by using lower-fat versions of the milks that give the cake its name.

Cake:
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2/3 cup all-purpose flour

Milk Mixture:
1 cup half-and-half
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk

Meringue:
3 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare cake, coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.

Place salt and 4 egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Place 1 teaspoon vanilla and eggs in a large bowl; beat until thick and pale (about 3 minutes). Gently fold egg white mixture into egg mixture. Lightly spoon 2/3 cup flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Gently fold flour into egg mixture. Spoon batter into prepared dish. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack.

To prepare the milk mixture, combine the half-and-half, condensed milk, and evaporated milk. Pierce the entire top of cake with a fork, and pour the milk mixture over the cake.

To prepare meringue, beat 3 egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238°. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed. Stir in rind and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spread over cake.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 309(11% from fat); FAT 3.9g(sat 1.9g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 9.7g; CHOLESTEROL 68mg; CALCIUM 197mg; SODIUM 171mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 0.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 58.5g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2001

Last edited by ottermum; 02-18-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Closed Thread